• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@Idhrendur i know that the marriage of your character is techically between you and the king, but Amelia is distantly related to Francesco also, just want to say he'd approve of this, and, if you want, i could incorperate you and your family line into my family tree. I just like records of who's in the family ;) ))

(( That'd be fun. How much information do you need on the family? I've not really thought of much beyond the named members so far. ))

to his majesty the emperor
I doubt you have heard of me my name is alexander del Monte I belong to a distant branch of the de la costa family I have heard that the current count his becoming mad and paranoid and would like permission to take over the county and the tittle of count fom the current count jose de la costa I have receive several secret request from important people in the county requesting me to step in and restore the county to normality away from the current police state its in.
alexander del monte

Xs93UHA.png

If I went around deposing nobles for acting strangely, I'd have a revolt on my hands for the other nobles would then fear their own titles were in danger. I'd prefer not to set that precedent.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Ferdinand stared off into the distance, towards Valencia. Somewhere out there, a rival was preparing for his adventures around the globe. Probably with that greedy merchant who intends to marginalize his funding. Well he was doing well with Cardinal Mòdena funding him. He turned back to the east, where he had just rounded the Cape of Good Hope. Then towards the west, where he had did the same with the Land of Fire. Sancho hadn't experienced either yet, so he was confident of an advantage. And back south. This could be his last trip. And yet he was looking forward to it.

Reactions:
The End of the Feast
Alexandros Kostopoulos mingled with the nobles as the night went on. He was pleased that the king showed up like he said he would and that the other nobles seem to enjoy themselves a lot. He was pleased with his servants that made everything possible. Things went as smooth as one could possible be. They kept the food coming out and the drinks. The entertainment was wonderful was well with Musicians playing the finest music and the other entertainment going along with the fun. He heard one Nobles announcement about a birth and smiled.. He was always happy when a couple made that announcement as it meant that god had sent them a blessing. He then heard the announcement from the Lord of Seville and kept that bit of information to himself.. He was curious about this loan the other lord made and why the lord was in debt.. and why it had not been paid as of yet. He also notice a rather strange man come with his personal guards.. Although that person did not stay long and was soon off. As the night went on and the drinks were had. Alexandros was happy even though war was on the horizon as it looked they were going to work with France in a up coming war. hopefully not too much fighting and not a lot of deaths. But he put that behind him as he watched and conversed with some nobles who came to him to talk and wish him congratulations on his appointment to count of Athens

He soon tapped his glass with a fork loudly and shouted "God Bless the King and his family for ages and ages.. God Bless Aragon for ages and ages .. God bless all her subjects for ages and ages and finally let god Bless our troops as well !. Tonight we celebrate our King and our victories over Castile. Tonight we celebrate our position in the world among other Civilized nations !. tonight we celebrate our explorers and wish them God speed on their Adventures as they explore the world and find new riches for our Country !. And finally Let god bless Victoria who will be giving birth to a child in the coming months !. " Alexandros said in a loud voice as he looked at the assembled Nobles and king and smiled.

Soon the night was coming to a close and the feast was winding down. The servants bought out the last of the food and the music slowly died down. After Dismissing all the guests and wishing them god speed in going home. Alexandros smiled as he sipped his wine and let out a sigh.. His father would of been proud.. his father would been proud. But now he must think of the war ahead and make preparations for it. With that he turned and went to his room for a good night sleep.

Reactions:
The feast has ended. Ferdinant had to prepare himself for the upcoming war. The enemies had 62 ships, Aragon had 81. But the main Aragonese fighting force was mothballed at Gibraltar. They would not be ready for atleast 6 months! That's more than enough time for the enemies to group up and destroy the undefended merchant navies! His first order was for all merchant ships to stop their trade and dock at the closest Aragonese port, to avoid destruction. The navy would get some time to recover. They could not lose a single ship. The navy would seek battle in the gulf of Almeria. This strait had 2 advantages. It blocked the way for the enemy fleets to enter the mediterranean, and it was perfect for galley fighting, which the Aragonese navy relied on.
This would be the strategy for the war. After the enemy fleets were eliminated the blockade of England would begin.

((Basically: Send light ships to save spots where they will not be destroyed by enemy fleets, unmothball the navy and let them recover their strength, destroy the enemy fleets, and blockade England so that they cannot land any troops in continental Europe))

((Private letter to @Idhrendur ))

I want to thank you for giving me permission to marry your sister. The navy has been in disrepair due to budget cuts. They just send the minimal supplies for the ships to not sink. About the colonies, I would suggest expanding into the Cape of good hope. It would be perfectly placed to restock ships coming from India. The natives are few and welcoming of our arrival. We could also start a colony in the islands northwest of Brazil.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria, head of the ATC and admiral of the Aragonese navy.

Last edited:
@Idhrendur ((as much detail as you want, i got a rough skeleton, but would be good to fill in the gaps, i.e characters that were in the family, that you never played as :)- as for actual hard detail, full birth name, any name changes (e.g marriage) and their life years, so year born and any death years))

Last edited:
((Basically: Send light ships to save spots where they will not be destroyed by enemy fleets, unmothball the navy and let them recover their strength, destroy the enemy fleets, and blockade England so that they cannot land any troops in continental Europe))

((Two things wrong with this. One, admirals, just like all leaders, don't give orders for how the war is carried out. Two, I already played the update so even if it did matter, it'd be too late.))

@ThePatriotOfDreumel ((i extend to you the same offer i made towards idhrendur, that seeing as you'll be added to his tree, and i am adding him + his family to mine, would you like your family line incorperated into my tree also? ))

@ThePatriotOfDreumel ((i extend to you the same offer i made towards idhrendur, that seeing as you'll be added to his tree, and i am adding him + his family to mine, would you like your family line incorperated into my tree also? ))
((I wouldn't mind. Can I add your family to my tree?))

EGpX2W6.png

(:)P, sorry to put you off Dreumel, just got my family linking to the Khans' along with the named Trastamaras, and nows the Plantagent and Palaiologos lines))

1536-1541 – The Greek Rebellion

Yet again Aragon was on the road to war. The fleet was pulled out of the mothballs, but fortunately it had not been docked in Gibraltar for that long after the Castilian War. It would only take 2-3 months for the ships to be fully prepared. The new general, Alexandros Kostopoulos, was given command of the army in Naples to replace the retiring von Thun. Aragon would be ready for any threat that presented itself.

Even with a conflict building in Western Europe, King Ferran III made a trip to Constantinople to visit his cousin, the current Emperor Andronikos V. The man had no heirs and an unstable succession in Byzantium would inevitably affect Aragon. Many back in Aragon worried that if Ferran did not intervene, Andronikos would pick a co-emperor who was hostile to Aragon and pro-Orthodox. King Ferran had a deep conversation with the Greek emperor and convinced him that their cousin Maurianus would make a capable co-emperor and successor, for he was a Palaiologos and was highly pro-Catholic and pro-Aragon, what with being married to Ferran’s cousin Alejandra. The emperor, who was somewhat easy to influence, eagerly accepted Ferran’s proposal and Maurianus was brought to the capital to serve as co-emperor. Aragon had gotten its way, but only time would tell how the rest of Byzantium would respond.

The aggressive expansion of the Mamluks had not gone unnoticed. Chancellor Jaume Limmona deferred to King Ferran on the matter, who decided that Aragon would not ignore the Egyptian menace. An embargo was put in place and a public declaration made that Aragon would not so blindly ignore the Mamluks’ actions. They would be a rival from now on.

Even with this all going on, it was the war against Provence that needed to be dealt with now. Aragon answered France’s call-to-arm, bringing it into war against Provence, England, and Liege. Lucca had dishonoured the alliance, a smart move if they wanted to survive the wrath of France. Forts in Navarra, Girona, and Granada were all garrisoned to ensure that the enemy couldn’t sneak into Aragon.

The war wasn’t a concern for Aragon’s two intrepid explorers. Both Alejandro Sancho and Ferdinand Xaver Lübecker set sail south to begin their circumnavigation of the globe. When they reached Africa, they both headed southwest, sailing down the coast of South America. Accusations and taunts were thrown back and forth between the two fleets as they sailed side-by-side. Neither trusted the other to let him out of their side. ((I tried placing Sancho in South America and Lübecker in Africa to get them to go opposite ways, but both sailed the same way.))

Provence wasn’t considered much of a threat, since they had been embroiled in war for the past decade. The two armies in Iberia marched northeast to go after Provence’s capital, as well as the land claimed by Aragon. France was able to dispatch an army in the region before Aragon’s troops arrived, but the frustrating part was when Provence signed a peace with Savoy, taking Nice. That was one more province to siege.

Rumours circulated court that the last few wars, including the current one, were attempts at grabbing more power by the king. Ferran III merely shrugged off the claims, for he knew his cause was just and he would rule by example. Let the court and people see his intentions through his action.

Provence’s navy made an appearance in the western Mediterranean and the Aragonese navy sailed from Gibraltar to catch it out in the open. It manoeuvred around the Baleares, trying to dodge the fleet, but Admiral Ferdinant II de Almeria was not letting them get away. He finally caught them off the coast of Sardinia and dashed them against the rocks. Provence’s entire navy was sunk with a single cog taken during the battle. The cog was sent back to Valencia to join the transport fleet. With the transport fleet not needed immediately, funds were invested in upgrading the cogs into flutes.

Back on land, Provence fell to Aragonese troops, giving Aragon control of the enemy capital.

Down in Africa, Colonist Miguel Villanova helped the colony of Karou become self-sustaining, taking a serious financial burden off of the Crown. The treasury was no longer losing ducats trying to fund multiple colonies. For now, the Crown would focus on Muturu, but didn’t necessarily need their colonist for that. Villanova instead headed back to St. Helena to aid the growing colony there.

France and Luxembourg faced off against England and Provence in an epic battle outside Bourgogne. The enemy had more forces to begin with, but they didn’t count on reinforcements from Brabant. The predominant power in the Lowlands had apparently joined the war some time after Aragon did. Their assistance could well prove crucial in crushing the enemy.

By March of 1537, both of the explorers reached the farthest extent of the charted waters of South America. Soon they would be sailing into the unknown. The whole affair had turned into a race for them. One day Sancho and his ships would be ahead, while the next day Lübecker and his fleet would be out in front. Both wanted to be the first to circle the globe and make it back to Aragon. Neither knew what lay to the west.

It was deemed that the Castilian colonies taken during the recent war were no longer in threat of revolt, so the conquistadors could resume their exploration efforts. The two set off into the wilderness in hunt of gold and whatever wonders they could find.

France continued to dominate the battlefield. Aragon did not have to worry about battles as they besieged Provence’s southern provinces. Most of the enemy forces were up north. This made Aragon’s job easier as Avignon fell. Military access arrangements of both sides of the army finally allowed General Kostopoulos to march up from Naples to besiege Nice. General Francesc Gabriel Gerard Miquel Bernat de Loarre headed northwest for Provence’s land up in Brittany, which were being ignored so far, while General En Alfonso Narzis de Montcada focused on taking Draguignan.

The Greeks did their part by assisting the French in the Battle of Maine. The enemy forces were too scattered and small to put up much resistance.

The Mamluks faced a setback in their constant expansionist plans. They had been unable to take Rhodes and Venice put up enough of a fight to make them bleed. Now the Mamluks were forced to back out of the war they started. The Knights forced some war reparations out of them as they retreated in disgrace.

The administration of the many new colonies and the islands taken from Portugal did not take that long to arrange. The question though was what to do now that these colonies were now fully under Aragon’s control. The king decided that it would be best to create a unified government for the colonies and appoint a governor. A viceroy could serve as a liaison between the colonies and Aragon. As the court hashed this out, word arrived from the PapalState that the Pope had decreed that Aragon had exclusive rights to colonize the region know as Brazil, a welcome surprise. Now the court would just have to decide on a name. For now they would use Nova Arago until something better was decided upon.

Draguignan fell in August of 1537, shortly followed by Nice. With all of southern Provence under occupation, General Montcada marched for Brittany, where Anjou had already been taken by General Loarre, while Genera Kostopoulos headed for Provence’s eastern provinces. The French were battling the English in Franche-Comte, but didn’t need any assistance. The French had excellent leadership and had no trouble dispatching the enemy.

Maine fell in mid-September and the French managed to take Franche-Comte with Aragon’s help. The conquest of Brittany continued and Kostopoulos went after a nearby fort. The French had no trouble crushing any resistance either.

October brought tragedy, not that anyone in Aragon was even aware of it. Explorers Sancho and Lübecker had been sailing west into open water for months. Supplies were low and their ships were being pelted by the waves. Their competition was turning into a fight for survival. They kept going until the end, but the relentless ocean took them both. Their ships were lost somewhere in the Pacific, although many claim that land had been spotted just over the horizon and perhaps, somehow, the two explorers had survived. For now, they were lost to the known world. ((Both @Andre Massena and @wzhang29 have had their characters die, although if they wish they may include some IC about washing up on Hawaii and struggling to survive if they’d prefer that, since they were so close to the islands. Could make for an interesting story. ;)))

While the fate of the explorers was indeed tragic, it was not known, unlike the conflict that arose in Byzantium. Emperor Andronikos’s choice to favour Maurianus as his successor had provoked many within Byzantium who were tired of Aragon’s influence or who were pro-Orthodox. Ioannes Kantakouzenos, who many had considered Andronikos’s chosen successor before Aragon intervened, raised an army and attacked Constantinople in an attempt to throw off Aragon’s dominance of the empire. The city was captured and the emperor and his successor forced to flee to Athens. A second army had captured Macedonia. With over 30k rebels threatening Byzantium, something had to be done.

An effort to recall troops from Provence was ordered immediately. The transport fleet headed out towards Navarra, hoping to catch one of the armies in Brittany as they marched south. The army was picked up in Gascogne, but the English, using spies or some unknown source of knowledge ((or AI cheating skills)), somehow knew that the transport fleet was there and intercepted it after it left port. The main fleet tried to intercept, but did not arrive in time. The entire transport fleet was sunk and with it the 10k men aboard the ships. The king fumed at the news and grieved for the lost lives, but Byzantium still had to be saved. How that would be managed without any transports was a problem. Ten flutes were immediately placed under construction.

Conquistador Miguel de Leon faced hardship after hardship as famine, disease, and the constant native attacks wore down on the men. Men died off one by one until only four were left. These four fled home, and a black slave who was among them offered his service as a conquistador, seeing as Leon was not one of the survivors. King Ferran III did not think the idea of hiring a former slave a good one, no matter what he learned. He turned the man away and waited for a more suitable replacement. Much to everyone’s surprise, Leon wandered out of the wilderness a few days later. The man was alive and would return to his exploration in due time. ((The game technically killed you off @zenphoenix, but the event doesn’t explicitly say you died. Since you died last update, I felt it was okay to consider you one of the survivors. :)))

The rest of Brittany fell by December and the army under General Loarre started the long march east. He’d have to wait for the new transports to be done to get to Byzantium, unless other arrangements were made. For the moment, the only plan in place was hiring an entire new army of 10k from Epirus and Athens. It would take time for the men needed to be found, but it would at least mean an army in Greece. After some consideration, military access through Switzerland, Austria, and Hungary was arranged. It would be a long march, but it was the only way to reach Byzantium. The army under General Kostopoulos abandoned its siege and joined Loarre in his march east.

In more pleasant news, the colony of St. Helena had finally become self-sufficient. Pablo David de la Iglesia y Maig, whose family had been funding the colony for years, would get to enjoy yet another island influenced by the family. ((@Idhrendur you are free to name the colony whatever you want and you get extra VP until your current character dies.))

With St. Helena no longer in need of his services, Colonist Miguel Villanova accepted a contract from Antonio di Arezzo to colonize the Falklands. He headed out for the islands immediately.

France settled its first peace with Liege, taking their home province for themselves. At this point only two provinces in continental Europe remained unoccupied and the enemy only possessed about 7k men. Victory seemed assured.

The war was mostly being ignored, at least by King Ferran III. France and its other allies had it well in hand, but the real threat was in Byzantium. The pretender’s forces had converged on Edirne, but that also opened the way to Constantinople. As the armies under command of Generals Loarre and Kostopoulos reached the Balkans, they marched for Constantinople. As regiments were recruited in Athens and Epirus, they headed for the Greek capital too under General Montcada. By July half the transports were ready and were sent to blockade the capital to assist the siege there.

By September, Edirne fell to the enemy, opening up the rest of Byzantium to attack. The rebels moved into Plovdiv and Burgas, but did not run into any Aragonese armies. As long as the siege on Constantinople was left undisturbed, the empire could be saved.

The two conquistadors ran into a tribe similar to one encountered earlier that involved separating the men and women. Seeing as the last time the expedition had gotten involved quite a few men caught some very nasty diseases, it was decided that they better not participate this time.

All the continental enemy provinces had fallen and the French launched a surprise invasion of England. Over 20k Frenchmen landed in London, threatening the English capital.

In late December, the New World expedition encountered strange mounds that one man thought could be some abandoned pyramids. A massive digging process occurred as men dug away the dirt with whatever tool they could find in the hopes they would be the one to find gold. Much to the disappointment of all, the only thing they found was dirt.

Efforts to improve the army continued. New forms of training were implemented that were designed to ensure troops were more organized and operated much faster. A key quality was ensuring that Aragonese men could prepare for anything, before or after a battle. The Aragonese army would be ready for anything.

With the acquisition of the Castilian colonies and the exclusive rights to colonization granted to Aragon by the Pope in Brazil, the Atlantic Trading Company was able to use its monopoly to great effect. Goods were flowing into Aragon from the New World and the entire kingdom benefited as a result.

England found itself in a difficult position as Scotland declared war on them. With France besieging their capital, they were in no position to fend off two invasions at once.

In April of 1539, the Aragonese forces in Byzantium faced a major breakthrough. Nearly 30k troops had gathered to siege Constantinople to throw the rebels out. It had taken until now to accomplish that. The city was retaken and the emperor returned to his home to rule again. Now the other provinces had to be liberated and rebel armies crushed.

With the transport fleet rebuilt, the fleet was sent to Africa to go pick up the army there. Aragon needed all the men it could get to destroy these rebels.

Even while this was going on, the war against Provence wound down to its conclusion. France had crushed the opposition enough to force a peace out of Provence. They took the three provinces in Brittany that Aragon had handed over to France for occupation. What truly annoyed many at court was that Savoy was returned land instead of giving land to Aragon. It seemed an insult to give a neutral power their land back but ignore an ally. Perhaps it was a result of the lack of participation at the end.

Plovdiv and Burgas were soon reclaimed, but the enemy was then on the move. The rebel army had taken Tarnovo and was moving to take back Burgas. It was decided that the rebels had to be stopped here. All three armies converged on Burgas to set up a defence and fend off the rebels. The Aragonese forces put up a valiant defence, but the rebels were fighting for a cause dear to them in their own homeland. They lost nearly half their numbers, but they forced the Aragonese armies to flee to Athens.

The defeat did not deter the generals in Greece. Once they reached Athens, they immediately bolstered themselves and marched right back, planning to focus on retaking Tarnovo, Macedonia, and Edirne. The rebels had split with half in Burgas and half in Constantinople.

It was clear that Aragon needed a strong army to ensure such failures never happened again. The plan to raise 10k men was put through and a recruitment effort done in Iberia. When it finished, Aragon would have 50k men in its army, as well as 8k mercenaries aiding the conquistadors.

A Moroccan spy was caught in Madeira trying to forge a claim on the province. Such a thing was a minor annoyance, for Aragon had been forging claims on Morocco’s land for years.

Just as Tarnovo was retaken, the Byzantine army arrived in the province, having returned from France. Led by Traianos Palaiologos, the general was aghast to learn that his family had been deposed and rebels were rampaging through his homeland. Without consulting the Aragonese generals, he launched an impromptu attack on the rebels in Burgas. The three generals followed him with their armies, knowing that to abandon him now would lead to defeat. The rebels were weak now, with Aragon having weakened them considerably. The rebels could not face the furry of Traianos and his men with Aragon’s backing. The rebel army was crushed, although the pretender fled to the second army besieging Constantinople.

Traianos’s furry did not end there. Learning that a pretender threatened the City of World’s Desire, and worse yet that they had already desecrated it once, drove him into a frenzy that sparked a second impromptu attack. Yet again, Aragon went along for the ride. The rebels stood no chance. Outside the walls of Constantinople, the rebels and their dreams were crushed. Now all that was left to do was to root out the rebels in the occupied provinces.

With Byzantium mostly secured, the army heading over from Africa was sent back, with the transport fleet redirected to Nova Arago. There were rumours that Denis Philippe de Montségur wished to set out for the northern continent instead of tagging along with Leon all the time. It was time to make his own discoveries. Transporting him there was the least the king could do.

Just after Montségurleft, Leon encountered someone who claimed to know the location of the Fountain of Youth. The entire treasury and then some were emptied to fund this effort. If this fountain did indeed exist, it would belong to Aragon.

Conquistador Leon’s search quickly resulted in ridicule as he sent back what he believed were diamonds to Aragon. When it was discovered that he had actually found quartz, people began mocking him back in court. Finding the fountain would surely regain respect for him.

It did not take long to get into yet another debacle. The conquistador participated in a feast to gain trust with a friendly tribe that had recently conquered another. Little did he know that the food at the feast was not pork as he suspected, but the flesh of the enemy tribesmen. When word reached the king of this event, he did all in his power to remove all traces of its happening. Rumours of cannibalism would not only destroy Leon’s reputation, but also that of Aragon’s. The event was quickly shoved under the rug and never mentioned again.

In August of 1540 back in Europe, Macedonia was finally retaken. All armies converged on Edirne to liberate the final province. The Greeks seemed too busy protecting their capital to aid the siege. Despite that, it was retaken by September. Perhaps Aragon’s continued interference in the east provoked Lithuania to consider them a rival.

Rumours of disgruntled peasants in Beafada met the ears of the army in Africa. Military access was arranged through Mali and the rebellion crushed as it rose up.

By September, Montségur finally reached the northern continent, landing in a region known as Florida. He immediately set out exploring this barely explored land.

Some changes were occurring in Aragon as a whole. The recent rebellion in Byzantium, which had deep religious elements to it, had spurred a strong movement in support of the Church. Heresy would not be tolerated and the Inquisition had to be better prepared to deal with it. There was also the constant competition between Aragon and the Italian states for trade. The Crown further encouraged merchants to trade in Aragon, which was becoming easier with Aragon’s control of Naples.

Speaking of matters of faith, with the defeat of the rebels and Maurianus proposed as successor to the Emperor, the Catholic faith was growing stronger. Only Constantinople still had a majority of the population following the Orthodox faith. Even then, missionary efforts were in progress and it was quite possible that Catholicism would take hold their too. Soon Byzantium would be a strong Catholic nation like the rest of Europe.

With no immediate threats on the horizon, the main fleet was mothballed to save funds to help pay off Aragon’s loan. The transport fleet headed for Greece to start shipping armies home. One was sent back to Iberia, one to Italy, and another stayed behind in Greece.

Montségur faced a similar embarrassing situation as Leon as he found what he thought were diamonds, but what turned out to be quartz. At least his problems weren’t as bad as Leon’s. Men had grown tired of the constant travel through the wilderness and tried to run off to live amongst the natives. Leon had them rounded up and flogged.

The massive size of the army and its ability to reach almost any part of Aragon’s empire made some nobles worry. Some nobles were starting to fear that the men from their lands that they contributed to the army were being instilled with a discipline that focused on loyalty to the king and kingdom over their own lord. The tradition pecking order was being disrupted. The possibility of the army being turned against them was also on their minds. The lesser nobles had experience enough of that in the past.

Montségur’s expedition was abruptly cut short when a scout inadvertently provoked a native tribe by giving them a gift that symbolized war to them. The conquistador was killed in an ambush and most of the expedition murdered. The attempt to explore the northern continent would only occur if another conquistador could be found. ((Sorry @alscon but the game killed off your character. Feel free to make a new one. Conquistadors sure have a low life expectancy.))

Elsewhere in the New World, the colony in the Falklands was bringing in more and more fish. The waters around the islands, just like St. Helena, seemed filled with fish. Not the most profitable of products, but one none the less.

Either through election or through a Papal blessing, the excommunication on Tuscany was rescinded. Perhaps Aragon and Tuscany could put the whole dispute behind them.

In May of 1541, the treasury finally had enough funds to repay the loan it taken out a few years ago. The treasury was now empty, but at least they had no debt.

((Just for future reference, this is the extent of colonial Brazil and thus the region the Pope gave us exclusive rights to colonize.))

Xs93UHA.png

Presenting His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks.

The last few years have been hectic for us all. The war with Provence was an easy one, as expected. The French did most of the work, as befitting the one leading the war effort. A bit disappointing we received nothing, but we did our duty. Of more concern was Byzantium. I did not expect so many Greeks to rise up over the succession. It is good though that the matter has been dealt with. Perhaps now we can grow even closer with our Greek friends. We went through much hardship together. Now perhaps the people of Aragon can relax now that peace has been restored.

With the expansion of our colonies, I also now need a viceroy to better communicate our will to our colonial subjects. Such a representative will serve on the Council.

((First of all, thanks to Keinwyn for designing that Byzantine Succession event. The update would have been much less interesting without it. :p As for our usual business, ministers have until Monday at 12pm PST to propose their plans, and anyone may present possible laws until then too. Remember that anyone can ask to financially back a colony and the colonist may approve their request, although I have a list of a couple colonies to create first. We also need to name our colonial nation, unless everyone prefers Nova Arago. Just throw out some names and I’ll make a list we can vote on. We will also need a viceroy for our new colonial nation on the Council, so people are free to ask for that position.

Pensioners:
@Firehound15

Dying:
@GameHunter5303
@Emperor Brad))

Reactions:
((The post is private expect for the last section where it clearly states public.))

Summer 1538:

It's Sunday and Antonio just had a light lunch in a tavern in Sevilla where he met with the locals. He enjoys talking with the citizens of Sevilla because he truly cares for them. In the afternoon, Antonio went back to his villa where he met with his friend and trusted advisor, Fabrizio.

Fabrizio: It's good to see you, Antonio! I've some excellent news for you!

Antonio: What is it? Have you received word from Barbagrigia?!

Fabrizio: Indeed, I have! I received a letter from him this morning. Fabrizio gives Antonio the letter who reads it.

Report from Barbagrigia

Egregio Signor Fabrizio,
after the ships arrived at the the Ivory Coast, we set up a small supply camp in one of the uninhabited bays. The rumors that the merchants in this area are mostly unarmed proved to be true which was shown by the numerous successful raids we have conducted without enemy resistance. Most of the crews surrendered. Valuable ivory and salt are the most common good that we plundered. Many of the ships sailed under the flag of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company so it could be that our presence in the Ivory Coast is bad for their business.
Business, is also why I wrote you this latter. A few days before writing this letter, we encountered the occasional supply ship that headed from Aragon to the colonies and we captured one of those vessels, as they are known for being able to store a lot of cargo. The supply ship was guarded and we lost good lads and one of my ships took some heavy damage. The ships is in a decent state and I have instructed my men to fill the cargo of it with your share of the ivory as well as the other wares. We also acquired some sugarcane by plundering a Portuguese merchant who must have stopped in Africa on his journey from the Portuguese Brazil to Iberia. I anticipate that the goods will reach you shortly after this letter.

I plan to stay in these waters until it becomes less lucrative.

The letter is signed by Barbagrigia

Antonio red the letter with pure joy.

Antonio: Wonderful! I had some doubts whether funding this expedition was worth it but if Barbagrigia is a man of his word and the ivory does indeed reach Sevilla then this was a profitable business transaction. Fabrizio, I want that you store the goods in a guarded warehouse. The guards shall deny access to anybody who approaches it without permission.

Fabrizio: As you command. Is there anything else you'd want me to do?

Antonio: As a matter of fact, I'd like you to carefully sell the goods on the black markets in Italy. Selling them here in Sevilla might raise unnecessary suspicions.

Fabrizio: It will be done.

Fabrizio leaves Antonio's villa and heads home. The cargo ship with Antonio's share of the profits arrives eight days later and the goods have been stored in one of his warehouses.

((Public))

Some days later, Antonio walked into his favorite tavern in the old part of town. There, he witnessed a sailor talking about a pirate attack in the Ivory Coast, claiming that he barely survived it! Suddenly there was a turmoil in the tavern - The locals were shocked that Aragonese ships were being targeted by pirates. Local Sevillian merchants openly questioned if it was the right decision to give the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company a monopoly on African trade, given that the trading company failed to protect the Aragonese trade interests.
The news of the pirate raids began to spread like wildfire through the Mediterranean and beyond. Less and less captains were willing to risk their lives by heading to the Ivory Coast. Central Africa was not safe anymore.

((In case this isn't clear: It is now public knowledge that pirates are harassing and plundering merchants in the Ivory Coast trade node.))

Edit: fixed a typo

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ferdinant had heard of some pirates disrupting Aragonese trade in Africa. He was furious about this news. Aragonese people got killed. His plan of limiting Piracy outside of the Mediterranean has failed. But he also knew that it was a small and weak fleet. The TPTC had ignored defense of their ships! They didn't care about the people of Aragon, their merchants and traders, they only cared about their coin. For almost nothing they could get some cannons on these ships! They could atleast have given the merchants some weapons to defend themselves. Instead hundreds of merchants died and ships got sunk. He would petition the king to remove the TPTC monopoly on Africa.

Petition to revoke the TPTC monopoly on Africa.

The TPTC has been unable to defend their own merchants from something as simple as piracy. They do not care about Aragonese lives. They only care about their money.
Therefore, they should lose their monopoly on Africa. The Aragonese people should be free to trade in this rich region.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((This is a seperate letter to the court))
Petition to designate Sevilla as the main colonial trade port of Aragon.

The city of Sevilla is perfectly placed to ship Colonial products from Africa and the Americas and move them further inland. designating it the main trade port would make a mess a lot easier to manage, and the city would flourish because of the valueable colonial goods.

((Event flavor_spa.3153 happens, better known as Trade center in Sevilla, increasing local trade power in the province))

Letter to the court of Aragon.

I, Ferdinant II de Almeria, hereby apply for viceroy of our new colonial nation in Brazil. As I already control all trade coming in and out of Brazil, I would try to increase the general production of the area and send more of the great colonial products such as dyes and tropical wood.

If not possible, I would want to apply for grand admiral. Having the entire navy under one command can only be advantageous, especially under a brialliant mind like I am.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The expedition had started well enough. The Ave Maria and the accompanying frigates made good time, the supplies were holding up, and the men were in good spirits. Perhaps they could beat that damn Lübecker.

But then one day off the coast of South America, disaster struck. They saw another ship with the flag of Aragon. Sancho wondered if it could be a merchant. Did any of the companies travel this far? But as they approached closer, Sancho's stomach fell. It was him!

Both fleets seemed to realize it at the same time and the race was on. Both crews worked double to gain a slight advantage over their opponent. One day Sancho's fleet would be ahead and the next day Lübecker's would. The men were exhausted but the captain's exhortations and the sight of the rival ships encouraged them to work harder. They wanted to receive the glory for being the first crew to circumnavigate the globe and they did not wish to share it. Sancho even ignored a chance to rest and recuperate on the western coast of South America for fear of losing a crucial day.

Would this lack of rest hurt them as they headed into the vast unknown of the western ocean? Only time would tell. But Sancho was confident as they embarked for the unknown ocean that they could conquer any difficulties as they had on their many previous expeditions and beat that upstart.

((Suggestion for the colonial nation: Sanchonia, in honor of the great man :p

Also, how many ideas have we accomplished? Maybe we should do another focus vote soon.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Colonial nation could be Nova Conquista or Terra de la Ferran))

((Private Letter to the Crown of Aragon))

Your Majesty,
I kindly ask you to grant me the position of Viceroy of our newly founded colonial nation. The County of Sevilla is prospering under my rule, and not just economically. Although I do like to point out that the successful Atlantic Trading Company would not have been founded without the generous loan provided by the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon. The ATC is headquartered in Sevilla and with their head I have a good relationship. After all, Ferdinant's company would not exist without my investment. Ferdinant is a good citizen of Sevilla and as head of the ATC, he can confirm that life in Sevilla is splendid under my rule.
As a diplomat of the Crown, I enjoy excellent relations with the diplomatic corps of foreign countries. These relations can be of use should you decide to appoint me as viceroy. Not only do I know how to successfully run a county, I also know how to run a business. I am also currently financing a colony on the Falklands from my personal wealth in order to increase Aragon's presence in the Americas. I hope I convinced you that I should be your natural choice for appointing a new viceroy.

I'd also like to suggest a possible name for your new colonial nation: Ferrania.

Your humble subject,
Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown of Aragon, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany