• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Letter to Duke Tomas Etxeto of Navarra

My Dear Duke,
I pray this missive finds you in health. It is with great sadness that I learn of your loss, fathers may be destined to precede their sons to the Lords side but that makes it none the easier. However at such times we can find solace in the rest of the family they leave behind, in that vein I would like to propose a union between our houses, with a betrothal between Senorita Arias Juanita Etxeto and my son, Manuel Alonso Fernan.

Yours faithfully,
Armaud Antonio Sastre,
Count of Urgell.

War had proven to be a blessing to Alejandro Sancho. It had been too long since he last commanded war galleys. He was a little rusty but he still loved the rush of battle and the near-brushes with death. True, it was nothing next to exploring the mysterious lands of the west but it was something.

Unfortunately, there was only one major naval battle with Portugal, which Aragon easily won. That meant that Sancho and his small squadron of ships spent most of the time blockading.

But what now? Demand for explorers had dropped sharply. There clearly was no Northwest Passage and most of the lands in the great western continent had been discovered. He could return to the merchant work of his young adulthood. But that would not do. Alejandro was the most famous explorer in the world. Crowds cheered him when he passed in the street (at least he thought they did). He could not be a lowly merchant.

There were no more lands left to explore. Or were there? Sancho had an idea that had been steadily gnawing at him for years. He had sailed along the coast of the new western continent for decades, discovered new lands and peoples, saw cities of gold and ice. But he was not the first explorer to do so, even if he was the greatest. Besides, the New World was becoming Aragon's backyard anyway.

What if he was to go where no man had ever gone before? What if he was to do something unrivaled in the history of man? It might be foolhardy, sure. It may even be suicidal, but Sancho would gladly die on the sea. It might be hard to convince a crew, but he had gained many loyal men from the last expedition and from the war.

What if Captain Alejandro Sancho was to circumnavigate the globe?

((Explorer mission: circumnavigate the globe or die trying))

To the court,

It has been too long since I have blessed you all with my presence. Some of you I do not even know! I am glad to see that the realm has prospered in my many years of exploring. I am sure it is in no small part due to my efforts to establish our kingdom in this New World!

I believe we should heed France's call and aid them in their war. France has helped us many times and it is only fair we help them. Besides, Provence is a menace to our Mediterranean trade and it would benefit us to weaken them.

-Alejandro Sancho

Reactions:
to all the nobles
would you support a war along with Byzantium to conquer genoa lands?

jose de la costa

Xs93UHA.png

It seems foolish to even consider such a war when we just finished one with Castile and the French are calling us into another. If we wage war non-stop, surely God will punish us for such bloodlust. Let us contemplate a period of peace once we consider what to do about France's call to arms. Byzantium has survived for centuries, so surely a few more years of waiting to reclaim parts of Anatolia will not be too difficult to accomplish.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

My Liege,

In the matter of rivals I leave this to your judgement.

May I also inquire into your records on the state of our lands (( What is our total development ? ))

Your Grace,

Jaume Limmona

((Private letter to Ferran III de Trastámara @Michaelangelo))
Your majesty Ferran III de Trastámara,
I want to congratulate you with the victory over the Castillians, and I am pleased to hear that we conquered the Castillian colonies. I also heard that you are having difficulties keeping the colonies under control. That's why I ask you if you could give the task of administrating the newly achieved colonies to the ATC, and in return we shall give you our colonial products for free whenever you desire.

- Ferdinant de Almeria, head of the Atlantic Trade Company.

Letter to Duke Tomas Etxeto of Navarra

My Dear Duke,
I pray this missive finds you in health. It is with great sadness that I learn of your loss, fathers may be destined to precede their sons to the Lords side but that makes it none the easier. However at such times we can find solace in the rest of the family they leave behind, in that vein I would like to propose a union between our houses, with a betrothal between Senorita Arias Juanita Etxeto and my son, Manuel Alonso Fernan.

Yours faithfully,
Armaud Antonio Sastre,
Count of Urgell.

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque Tomas III Etxeto
We of the Etxeto thank you for your condolences. The passing of my father was a sad event, but such is the Will of He. However, we are delighted to hear of your interest of a betrothal with the young Arias. Such an event has my blessing, and once she is at age, you two may wed in the eyes of the Lord.

May He bless you,

Duque Tomas III

to all the nobles

jose de la costa

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque Tomas III Etxeto
That is a a truly silly proposition. Your vanity and willingness to embrace Lucifer's hubris concerning the Crown's strength in war is disturbing to see. I hope you confess your sins and see the errors of your ways.

May He bless you,

Duque Tomas III

Reactions:
((Private letter to Jose de la Costa @strategymad3500 ))

The County of Sevilla will not support a war against Genoa at the moment because of the recent call to arms of Aragon's ally. At a later time, I will support your initiative, if the circumstances are right. Conquering Genova and other Genoese possessions is something Aragon should do in the next years but now is not the time.

~ Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon.

Reactions:
Easy enough, as expected. Castile's colonial ventures were in a very sad state and willingly surrendered as soon as the Aragonese armies came into sight. Portuguese Colombia mounted some resistance, even used their local knowledge, but they stood not much more of a chance. 'If father could see me now...' Not only he had more men, but a better strategy to face the enemy. He would push on into their lands next. The war was fought in the Old World, but Montségur was certain that the kingdom had similar success over there. Muturu had already fallen under complete Aragonese control before any peace treaty was signed.

He was certain that the conflict wouldn't last much longer and prepared the next expedition. There were still many lands to charter. With or without Miguel de Leon, the son of his previous companion. Even if he was a bit older than Montségur, he would surely want to profit from his experience. He was at least very grateful for the return of his father's sword. It was his choice. Montségur's expedition members had all assured that they would follow him again though; Valeyron, Sacagewa with her child, the hunter Martí, the other adventurers and his newly-wed wife, the Cuscoan princess Aurélie. He couldn't wait his return into the wilderness. The New World was his home.

Your Majesty,
I do not believe my plan needs any changes at this moment. That is why it should stay the same.
I also believe we need to aid our ally. France was a loyal ally of Aragon for many years and betraying their trust now would hurt your opinion.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon

to all the nobles

jose de la costa

To Jose de la Costa,
I do not believe it it wise to start another war so shortly after our war with Castille, and with another war closing on. Even if the Genoese are weak right now we mustn't underestimate them.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon

To noble Alejandro Sancho,
Thank you for your long years of service. Word has reached me about your most recent plans for an expedition and while I think it it crazy I will do anything that will help you in your mission. Feel free to use my own and company's funds to prepare for this long journey. That is all that I wanted to say, so I will end this letter now.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre

to all the nobles

jose de la costa

((Unless you intentionally wanted this to seen only by only nobles I'd recommend you address general messages to the entire court since some of us are not nobles.))

Your majesty,

I am the latest great scion of the house of Iglesia y Maig. I wish to apologize for Andrés' absence these last several years, it seems that a depression overcame him in his final decade.

The Balearic islands remain well managed by the family, so I wish to ask a boon for my family's long service: to be allowed to fund the expansion of the colony in Muturu, or if that proves impossible, to fund a nearby colony. Thus my family can support Aragon and provide new opportunities for the younger members of the family.

As well, I support the war against Provence. If nothing else, it will continue to cement our alliance with the French. And if there is a need of officers for the army, I am sure I can find a cousin who needs a vocation.

As always, Long Live the King!
- Pablo David de la Iglesia y Maig

-------

Name: Pablo David de la Iglesia y Maig
Date of birth: April, 1511
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Pablo is a grandson of Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño, and the latest leader of the family that has long ruled the Balearic islands. He considers the family to have fallen by the wayside of the kingdom, and believes the family needs to find opportunities for the younger members, be they in the army, as traders, or best of all in the new colonies. He has not yet married. He has an older brother, recently married, a younger sister, long married with two children, and a second younger sister who has not yet married.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Muturu was something he kept in the back of his mind. He had heard reports of the savages--no, natives--causing a ruckus and burning down the settlements in the area from a friendly tribe he met. Something snapped inside him as he remembered his father's murder. Enraged, he took his army and marched on the settlement, burning down everything and cutting down every non-European-looking person he or his men could find, regardless of age, gender, religion, or any other distinction. To him, they were all savages. Nobody escaped his wrath.
When he came out of his rage, there was nothing left to save, nobody left to save. The colonists luckily were sent to a safer location during his rampage, but he regretted that the savages were given no time to embrace the Gospel. He had doomed all of these souls to Hell. Wait, did they even have souls in the first place? It was a question that kept nagging him from the back of his mind. At least he saved the colonists. At least they were good Christians.
He had known Montségur from the letters his father had written to him. He never thought that he would be meeting the man in person. Then again, he never thought that his father would be murdered by savages.
They met in the jungles of Brazil, the name that several colonists had started to give to this new wilderness. Montségur was slightly younger than him, but much more experienced in dealing with natives. His expedition was quite diverse compared to Miguel's army. Miguel found himself chatting with Aurélie, a native noble from a kingdom west of the great forest, high up in a high mountain range somewhere. There was Sacajawea and her European husband Marti, though Sacajawea didn't appear to look like the natives in the area. Maybe she came from somewhere north or south of here?
Before they parted ways, Miguel to attack the Castilians and Montségur to continue exploring, Montségur handed an old suit of armor and a sword to him.
"This was your father's," said Montségur, "It seemed only right to hand them over to you, as you are his son."
Miguel thanked Montségur, taking the items. Inspecting the Roman sword, he wondered what savage hands had handled it before Montségur had taken it back. He vowed to uphold the legacy of his father.
He hoped they could meet again and work together to continue his father's search for the Seven Cities and the Fountain of Youth.

---

"Well, this never gets old," said Miguel as he swung his sword at a Portuguese, cutting down the man quickly and quite painlessly (for a sword stab), "Some things never change."
His army had charged out of the jungle and assaulted the enemy defenses, which were mostly pointed at the coastline since "Nobody expects the Aragonese Inquisition" to charge from a jungle where out of thousands of men only a handful had come out. The soldiers were overwhelmed quickly as the Aragonese stormed the settlement. To the enemy soldiers, they cut down any who did not surrender or flee immediately. Despite this colony and the neighboring ones being a Castilian settlement, there were strangely no Castilian guards around.
"Those Castilians and Portuguese multiply like cockroaches," he muttered, "Push them out of Europe and they'll only relocate to somewhere else in the world."
The colony fell quickly, followed by the others. The Portuguese made attempts to liberate the colonies, but they were easily pushed out by Miguel.
The colonists were shown mercy. Miguel ordered his soldiers to not loot anything or touch any Castilian colonist. He knew that Aragon sought to take control of these colonies, and he wanted them to understand that Aragon was much better than Castile. Though he was merciful, he was also firm. Any who resisted Aragonese occupation was arrested and put through "enhanced interrogation techniques" developed by the Inquisition. Any guilty persons were summarily executed in the middle of the settlement as examples to be made of those who defied Aragon. The war ended soon after the colonies fell, and Miguel was hailed as a war hero by some in Syracuse but mainly in the New World.

With the war over now, he could finally turn his attention back to exploration...

Reactions:
to all the nobles

jose de la costa
Though I am not noble, I do have understanding of warfare. A war with Genoa would be extremely unprofitable to the kingdom, and it will be very hard to fight because of the war with Provence that will happen. Not only that, the Genoese can place their fleet in the straits of Gibraltar and blockade the city of Sevilla, by which we do not only temporarily lose communication with the colonies, the incoming trade fleet of the ATC will also have a huge chance to be pirated by the Genoese, with which we will lose huge amounts of money, ships and men.

- Ferdinant de Almeria, head of the ATC.

Reactions:
Though I am not noble, I do have understanding of warfare. A war with Genoa would be extremely unprofitable to the kingdom, and it will be very hard to fight because of the war with Provence that will happen. Not only that, the Genoese can place their fleet in the straits of Gibraltar and blockade the city of Sevilla, by which we do not only temporarily lose communication with the colonies, the incoming trade fleet of the ATC will also have a huge chance to be pirated by the Genoese, with which we will lose huge amounts of money, ships and men.

- Ferdinant de Almeria, head of the ATC.
((As far as I know, you can't reply to a message which was not addressed at you. The message was only sent to all nobles, so your character can't be aware of it. No playing God.

Edit:I think the same goes for O5. Maybe Mike can comment on this.))

((As far as I know, you can't reply to a message which was not addressed at you. The message was only sent to all nobles, so your character can't be aware of it. No playing God.

((Wouldn't noble class include all courtiers?))

((Wouldn't noble class include all courtiers?))
((Why would the noble class include all courtiers? To my understanding, nobles are nobles, courtiers are courtiers and clergy is clergy. They are different classes. Let's see what Mike things about this. If the noble class would include all courtiers then there is no point of being a noble.))

((Why would the noble class include all courtiers? To my understanding, nobles are nobles, courtiers are courtiers and clergy is clergy. They are different classes. Let's see what Mike things about this. If the noble class would include all courtiers then there is no point of being a noble.))
((@strategymad3500 could have made it more clear, but we should wait on Mike to say something. But all courtiers being noble might just be something Dutch.))

My Liege,

In the matter of rivals I leave this to your judgement.

May I also inquire into your records on the state of our lands (( What is our total development ? ))

Your Grace,

Jaume Limmona

((Our development is currently 685.))

((Private letter to Ferran III de Trastámara @Michaelangelo))
Your majesty Ferran III de Trastámara,
I want to congratulate you with the victory over the Castillians, and I am pleased to hear that we conquered the Castillian colonies. I also heard that you are having difficulties keeping the colonies under control. That's why I ask you if you could give the task of administrating the newly achieved colonies to the ATC, and in return we shall give you our colonial products for free whenever you desire.

- Ferdinant de Almeria, head of the Atlantic Trade Company.

Xs93UHA.png

You have heard wrong, I'm afraid. The colonies have accepted Aragonese rule quite quickly and I don't see a rebellion in the future ((revolt risk was like 0.5%)). I think it best that the Crown sort out the new colonies and we may consider changing how they are administered in the future. ((Once they core, we should get a colonial nation and then there will be a viceroy for it on the Council.))

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Your majesty,

I am the latest great scion of the house of Iglesia y Maig. I wish to apologize for Andrés' absence these last several years, it seems that a depression overcame him in his final decade.

The Balearic islands remain well managed by the family, so I wish to ask a boon for my family's long service: to be allowed to fund the expansion of the colony in Muturu, or if that proves impossible, to fund a nearby colony. Thus my family can support Aragon and provide new opportunities for the younger members of the family.

As well, I support the war against Provence. If nothing else, it will continue to cement our alliance with the French. And if there is a need of officers for the army, I am sure I can find a cousin who needs a vocation.

As always, Long Live the King!
- Pablo David de la Iglesia y Maig

Xs93UHA.png

I was under the impression your family was assisting with the colonization of St. Helena? Perhaps your grandfather forgot to mention this before his passing, God bless his soul.

((I had you marked down as the one funding the colony in St. Helena, although I know you mentioned Muturu too. You could technically fund both, but you'd only get VP for the first. I'm leaning towards letting Muturu be a Crown colony since it was stolen from the Castilians, but that's just my preference.))

((Yeah, the message should have been clarified better. Since he didn't mark it as private, I read it as him publicly addressing the nobles. So basically he was specifically asking the nobles, but everyone else knew what he was asking. If people want to keep things private from now on, they should mark it with the word "Private" or address it to a specific person/class in OOC.))

Reactions: