• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Just a bit random, but I'm sure everyone has noticed by now that the Reformation is late. I've decided to start a poll because I want to see when everyone thinks it will trigger. There's no prize or anything for a correct guess, since I'm just curious. Reform desire was at roughly 75% last time I checked. The poll can be found here. Also this is a good time to tell everyone I've included the 1530 save file in the table of contents for any ministers who need information for plans or if anyone just wants to see how Aragon is doing.))

Looking through the usual reports about income from various places Maxime noticed one different from others. What was it about? "What? Another trading company?!" - Maxime thought to himself - "And run by Aedan O'Connery?! That was the reason he declined my offer?! This company could not be allowed to prosper as TPTC did... If they stick to the region their name indicates everything should be fine. Some competition can be even healthy for the economy. But Italy can be a a hot-spot for both of us. It is in the middle. I'll have to do something about it. But what? Trying to force a monopoly in that region will only upset the Tuscans, the Venatian and Genoese will only laugh at it, and the Pope probably will object it. On the other hand he did come here not long ago, so probobly not a lot of people will trust him... But how can I be sure how many people trust me? I tried to look like a person who cares about the fate of Aragon, and I truly do, but I'm not sure everyone thinks the same. And there is the fact about my company rapidly expanding and gaining power. Too much to think about for now. There are still many reports to look through, and few meetings to attend to."

*Miguel walk around the area, on his usual 5 minute "exercise" and passes the Grandmaster's room and notices him seem worried*
Miguel thinks to himself ((private)) "I wonder if the new colonies would help trade... nah, I'm just a simple farmer, what would I know about trade."
((I assume Maxime is at the palace when he looks through the reports, if not, I will delete this.))

((As suggested by @Michaelangelo, I am now putting private communication in spoilers.))

((Private letter to Aedan O'Connery @cheif bearpaw ))

Dear Mr. O'Connery,

I'd like to enquire how things are progressing in the Balkan-Iberian Trading Company. Have you encountered any difficulties or are things going smoothly? Please know that you can always come to the Bank of Tuscany if you run into difficulties. We'd love to maintain a positive business relationship with you.
The Bank knows that you mostly operate in the Balkans. Yes, Ragusa is a rich port but let me remind you of the riches that lie beyond the Balkans. Constantinople is rich, very rich. Have you considered asking the Crown for a monopoly on all trade from Constantinople via Ragusa to Aragon? I assume this would increase the profits of the Balkan-Iberian Trading Company further.

Best,
Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon

((Private letter to Miguel Villanova @DragonOfAtlantis ))

Dear Miguel,
I wish you good fortune on colonizing the Falklands. May you find great riches there! I hope to see you in one piece once you return to Iberia.
There is something I'd like to ask you. Have you considered joining any of the trading companies? The goods from the New World would unquestionably be valuable to either one of them. You could make a lasting impact by joining one of them. I know you are a man who values the shiny things in life so should you be interested then we might be able to work something out here. Should you require some "motivation" to join a trading company then don't hesitate to contact me. Maybe there is something I can do.

Best,
Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon

((@delpiero1234 how do I join a company? Do I just state so? I already picked one, it should be obvious which based on trade routes, I just need to know how to join one. ))

((You have to ask the owner of the trade company and they'll decide whether to let you be a member or not.))

((@delpiero1234 how do I join a company? Do I just state so? I already picked one, it should be obvious which based on trade routes, I just need to know how to join one. ))
((I think you have to "apply" by contacting the head of the trade company you wish to join.

Edit: Mike beat me to it :p

Edit 2: I don't think any trading company has a monopoly on trade in the Americas yet but I might be mistaken))

((Private conversation with Maxime de Saint-Pierre))
*Miguel had decided to ask Maxime about joining the TPTC and walked into the office, although it took a little while to fit through the frame*
"Pardon my interruption Mr. de Saint-Pierre, I have decided to join TPTC and am asking personally instead of writing a letter to you, I hope I do not bother you."
*Miguel's eyes shined with greed, but he didn't care*

Reactions:
King Ferran III slowly went through his letters, carefully pealing them open with a small knife and reading over them thoroughly. His four-year-old son Martí and his three-year-old granddaughter Peronella, and so far his only grandchild, were playing with Queen Marie in the other room. Occasionally he'd hear a squeal of delight from one of them and smile. He would go spend time with them soon enough. He didn't see his granddaughter too often, since shortly after the end of Tuscany's war with the Papal State, Prince Alfons and his wife, Caterina de' Medici, had moved into one of the family estates in Teruel. The young woman had received a chilly reception ever since she got here, what with not being of noble blood. Having the country of her birth, Tuscany, turn against the Pope only further deepened the resentment of many at court towards. She had taken it with stride, but her and the Prince had decided it was best to leave court after their daughter was born. Ferran could not disagree. It'd be best that the court did not see a constant reminder of Tuscany's actions around Valencia.

The King stopped his musings as he came upon a letter from his nephew in Bohemia. The boy had been married off into the Jagiellon family years ago by King Ferran II. He hadn't spent much time with the boy, but he made sure to maintain contact for his late brother's sake. The boy did not have a father, so he did his best to take up that role, if only through letters. As he skimmed over the letter, he could only shake his head. Things were not going so well in Bohemia. The Jagiellon family had lost the throne to the Habsburgs over a succession dispute. Little Ferran, a name that had stuck with the man since childhood, had been married to a cousin of the previous Jagiellon king. Apparently the rest of the dynasty had died off, leaving only female heirs left. Anna still had an older sister who had been married to a Habsburg and was the mother of the current Empress. The current dispute appeared to be over the arrangement King Ferran II had made. All of Little Ferran's children were to be of the mother's dynasty, meaning that Anna could still provide a male Jagiellon. So far she only had two very young daughters. If she were to bear a son, there may well be a succession crisis in the works. King Ferran made a note to keep tabs on Bohemia's political situation. A female empress and a potential succession crisis could only cause more chaos.

His cousin Alejandra, the daughter of King Ferran II's younger brother Joan, had written from Constantinople, where she was living with her husband Maurianus Palaiologos, a cousin of the current Greek Emperor. She seemed happy enough and had apparently learned how to speak Greek. He was glad she was doing well and wrote her up a quick letter. Once that was done, he sealed the letter and left them lying on the desk. He'd get a servant to handle them. For now, he would spend time with his son and granddaughter. One could never neglect family.

((Just a little update to show what is going on with the royal family.))

Reactions:
Aedan was currently in the middle of sending a letter to a stubborn owner of some store he wanted to purchase in Morea who apparently thought his store was worth much more than it was when he had gotten a letter from the Bank of Tuscany. He opened the letter and read through it before deciding that responding to this first would be the best option. So, he got out a pen and paper and began to write.

((Private letter to the Antonio di Arezzo))
Dear di Arezzo
I am happy to say that as of yet there are no problems with the Balkan-Iberian Trading Company. Things are going surprisingly smooth off in the Balkans. I must admit, your idea on requesting a monopoly sounds like it'd be rather beneficial. I am certain I will be doing something along those lines in the future. Thank you for the helpful advice. I shall remember that if I have any problems financially I will call upon you for help.
Best regards,
Adean O'Connery

Reactions:
Edit 2: I don't think any trading company has a monopoly on trade in the Americas yet but I might be mistaken

((That is indeed correct. No one has a monopoly on any portion of the New World.))

Constantinople

Armand had received a letter that morning. Apparently his wife was dead. He did not feel particularly sad, and this made him feel guilty. He could barely remember his face, they could not have met more than thrice. Thinking of home, his thoughts drifted to his sister. This also made him feel guilty.

He tried to push such thoughts from his head as the imperial chamberlain announced him to the court.

Presenting his excellency the Panhypersebastos Antonios, representative from the court of his most august majesty, Ferran, king of Aragon.

He had gotten used to their use of his second name, but the ridiculous title always made him a little uncomfortable.

Sancho shivered. Not very long ago a quarter of the crew had perished from tropical diseases. Now some sailors' fingers were freezing off.

To think how far they had come! They had traveled thousands of miles from the tip of the new continent all the way to the top of the world. Truly he was the greatest explorer in history and no one could speak against him! He was an old man now but the spirit of adventure could not be quenched.

Sancho smiled as he looked upon the frozen sea and gigantic icebergs that the Ave Maria delicately maneuvered around.

But the crew was not smiling. They were hungry, tired, cold, and ready to go home. What Sancho saw as cities of gold down south and mythical ice creatures up north, the crew, tired after years of life threatening conditions, saw as cities of mud and blocks of ice.

"There's nothing but ice up here!" Sastre complained.

"Mayhaps we can see the famous Ice Dragon of Kamachatka if we continue," the captain pleaded. "Just a few weeks more!"

"No! We already saw the ice bears."

"Maybe we can capture some. I am sure Lubecker will try to."

"And what would we do with them? They will probably eat poor Fritzo. No, turn around!"

"I am the captain of this ship, dammit!"

The freezing crew began to slowly gather around him. The looks on their faces firmly demonstrated that they meant business.

"We will go no further!" one of the brawny seamen yelled.

Sancho hesitated. Well, it was getting a little cold...

"On second thought...."

Sancho shivered. Not very long ago a quarter of the crew had perished from tropical diseases. Now some sailors' fingers were freezing off.

To think how far they had come! They had traveled thousands of miles from the tip of the new continent all the way to the top of the world. Truly he was the greatest explorer in history and no one could speak against him! He was an old man now but the spirit of adventure could not be quenched.

Sancho smiled as he looked upon the frozen sea and gigantic icebergs that the Ave Maria delicately maneuvered around.

But the crew was not smiling. They were hungry, tired, cold, and ready to go home. What Sancho saw as cities of gold down south and mythical ice creatures up north, the crew, tired after years of life threatening conditions, saw as cities of mud and blocks of ice.

"There's nothing but ice up here!" Sastre complained.

"Mayhaps we can see the famous Ice Dragon of Kamachatka if we continue," the captain pleaded. "Just a few weeks more!"

"No! We already saw the ice bears."

"Maybe we can capture some. I am sure Lubecker will try to."

"And what would we do with them? They will probably eat poor Fritzo. No, turn around!"

"I am the captain of this ship, dammit!"

The freezing crew began to slowly gather around him. The looks on their faces firmly demonstrated that they meant business.

"We will go no further!" one of the brawny seamen yelled.

Sancho hesitated. Well, it was getting a little cold...

"On second thought...."
((First, you missed the ümlaut again. Second, I'm at the Southern Seas Off Kongo's coast... :p))

Last edited:
((Private conversation with Maxime de Saint-Pierre))
*Miguel had decided to ask Maxime about joining the TPTC and walked into the office, although it took a little while to fit through the frame*
"Pardon my interruption Mr. de Saint-Pierre, I have decided to join TPTC and am asking personally instead of writing a letter to you, I hope I do not bother you."
*Miguel's eyes shined with greed, but he didn't care*
As Maxime was preparing to leave his office in the Royal place to attend company's council meeting an unknown man entered.
"Umm... Yes hello. I'm sorry I can not really talk now I'm in a hurry. But if you want to join, please come to the company's office in few days. We will work out the necessary paperwork then. Now I"m really sorry but if I don't go now I will be late to a very important meeting."

Just as he was leaving the room Maxime took a closer look at the man's face, he noticed a well known shine in his eyes. The shine of greed... But the company needs every pair of hand, especially now with a potential rival on the horizon.

((Welcome aboard! (since "the few days" are just some RP things) I would be thankful if you would so some RP about applying for the job and you would specify the "position" you would want.))

*Miguel managed to find his way to the headquarters of the TPTC after a few days*
"I would like to join TPTC, my name is Miguel Villanova, you might now me as the recent colonist for Aragon. I would like to help by giving first pick of materials from colonies each month until the crown takes control of all aspects of each. As a farmer, I do not have a good education(( if any at all)) so I don't know what I would call the position."
((I just used the dumb peasant excuse because I don't even know what the position would be called. ))