• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Moncada-Spain.jpg

The Chronicles of the Black Count - The Battle of Cuenca

Don Alfonso Narzis de Montcada, third Count of Girona, in robe of scarlet silk worn over a steel cuirass, was giving the approaching Castilian army a grim and dedicated look. Th eonce blossoming vicinities of Cuenka now resembled a desert. The villages left by peasants were partly smoking and partly blazing in cheerful flames - the foragers, both Aragonese and Castilian, proved to be a little too enthusiastic. The nearby forest was cut down completely, the wood used to fortify the camp of de Montcada with stakes and walls. At the same time, in front of a hillside, a long trench was dug in which the arqebusiers took their positions. The horsemen placed in reserve and the guns accommodated in a most comfortable way, de Montcada certainly exploited the fact that they managed to arrive in the province before the enemy.

- So throwing the cavalry in, huh? - the Count of Girona grumbled, looking at his second-in-command, Don Alonzo de Palafox, Señor en Estada*. A firm aristocrat mindful of pedigree, Don Alfonso has nevertheless chosen his officers mainly by merit. And this vivacious gentleman, being brother to the Bishop of Puebla and having participated in all last wars of the House of Trastamara, has met the both criteria. In his position as Maestre de Campo (or Master of Camp) he was virtually the chief of staff to the General. Twirling his long bushy whiskers, Palafox raised his eyes and investigated the approaching Castilian riders. - Aye, my lord. All jinetes. Nothing new. And indeed, the troop of approximately two thousand that was advancing rapidly consisted of light horsemen, sitting on a swift long-legged chargers. In bright chainmail, armed with javellins, round shields and swords, they were very useful during the Reconquista - but years and years passed since that time. Some of them were the knights of the Guarde Reale, carrying blazons with a golden mounted three towered castle - the coat-of-arms of the Castilian Monarchs. However, General de Montcada gave much more attention to others - ones that had a green Greek cross depicted on their snow-white surcoats. - I have never wanted to spill the blood of the holy knights of Calatrava... - the Count of Girona said, shaking his head in disappointment. But at the same time he was outraged - why would a militant monastic order participate in a purely political war, instead of defending the Faith? And Palafox was totally in agreement with him. - They have turned into servants of the King of Castille, sir. A part of his army. After the noble Lopez de Padilla died, he put a favourite of his as Grandmaster. Don Alfonso nodded - so the Knights were here simply because the King Enrique was personally in command of the Castilian army. And the Order of Calatrava wanted to make a mark. The Count of Girona hoped that when his august master would become the lord of all Hispania, the Orders would be returned to their true occupation - fighting heathens. And in meantime... - BOY! What are you doing, standing there and gaping? - de Montcada roared at one of his retainers (and, in fact, his own son), Juan de Garzia, a squire of fifteen years. He grabbed the teenager by the ear and yanked it so hard that the hidalgo yelled with pain. - Ride to von Rothkopf and tell him to mow them down. Jumping atop his grey charger, the youngster took off, clouds of dust whirling under the hoofs of his mount. Very soon he reached the top of the hill, where, among the wineyards, the Aragonese artillery was placed. From here the twelve thousand cannons could have a good view of the whole battlefield - and make their moves without any inteference. Heinz von Rothkopf, a German captain in charge of the guns, pedantically nodded as he received the order - and transferred it to his lieutenants, mainly of the same nation. - Fire! - many voices growled at the same time and the сulverines vomited with fire, smoke and deafening rumble. The battle cries of the Castilian jinetes were replaced by shrieks of pain - and their formation turned into a chaotic crowd. Many have fallen from the saddles with their heads and hands torn off, the others were crushed by their own agonizing horses. When the horns and trumpets were sounded and the hapless cavalrymen began to retreat, no less than one third of them has been left dead, soiling the earth with their chivalrous blood. - Hа! - Don Alfonso exclaimed gleefully and drank from a wineskin. As he was wiping his lips with a handkerchief, his nephew returned - and so did the Castilian horsemen, now accompanied by infantry. They were trying to force the right flank, evading the ferocious culevrines. This time the foe looked even more formidable - the whole mass of pikemen, swordsmen and men-at-arms was moving towards Aragonese lines in quick pace. Young Garzia went pale as he looked at their snarling faces - and, forgetting all reverance, blurted out. - What shall we do, Uncle? The General pointed towards the trenches, his forehead now сovered by concentrated wrinkles. - Go to the colonels. Tell them to reinforce the arqebusiers with knechts - and hold, while I prepare the counterattack. As the boy rode away, the Count of Girona sent another messenger to Rothkopf, asking the artillery to continue doing their job. Where they could reach the enemy, of course.

La_Higueruela_part_600.jpg

Castilian jinettes charging

As in most other kingdoms, the Aragonese army lacked definite organizations, its generals shaping it ad hoc, guided by necessity and circumstances. During this war de Montcada divided the infantry into four columns or colunella, each consisting of five thousand warriors. Their commanders were to be called colonels - and the units themselves were often described as tercios, which meant "one third", due to combination of pikes, firearms and swords used within them. Today the formation was going to prove its metal

As the Castillian troops came closer, the arquebusiers, divided into mobile groups called mangas, met them with a storm of fire. The enemy pikemen that were leading the charge could not hide behind their bucklers and mail - and soon covered the ground with their corpses. Many of these that have reached the Aragonese line have fallen into the trenches and were soon finished off - while the others engaged in a hands-to-hand combat with the knechts. Striking with their monstrous halberds and axes, they were cutting their adversaries down by hundreds. The Castilians achieved a limited success by breaking through a line of pikemen in the centre of the Aragonese army - but very soon were pushed out, and as their rear guard tried to reinforce them, the artillery started to blow away at them again. Very soon the attack has fizzled out - and the time for the next move came.

- Bring me my horse! - General de Montcada roared, covering his head with a helmet decorated with white feathers. Then he looked at Señor en Estada - and, with an imperious sign, ordered him to arm himself. - Palafox, you would take charge of the collonellas and attack the retreating Castilians. I would take half of our cavalry and harass their reserve - where the King is, you see. I would either take him prisoner or.... When the aid would be send to him, you would join me - and the remaining horse of ours, commanded by Baron of Polop, would rout them. No listening to stammered questions and pleas not to risk his life, the warlord mounted his gigantic destrier and spurred towards the horsesoldiers. Eight thousand in total, some of them were the traditional jinettes and hidalgo cavaliers of old times - with lances, different family mottos on their striped shields and in expensive tabards. However, many of the troopers, while coming in many cases from the same backgrounds, have become the object of a reform General de Montcada helped to carry out before the campaign. They were trained to become Schwarze Reiters, totally a new type of cavalry, in sturdy armor, carrying not only swords, but arquebuses and pistols at their hip. Combining the deathly blades with no less deathly gunpowder, they were to change the mounted warfare forever. Giving the neccessary instructions to the man in charge of the lot, Pedro Fajardo de Mendoza, Baron of Polop, Don Alfonso quickly took the half of the regiments, including all Reitars, under his hand. Despite his will to modernize the ways of war, he was a knight from his head to his toes - and was not going to sit in a comfortable tent, while the others give their lives away at his orders. It was not noble, it was not Aragonese.

- Santiago! For Ferran of Trastamara! - the hoarse shout of Montcada was repeated by his warriors - and then he and six thousand plungers dashed forward, the wind singing in their ears. As they were half way through, Don Alfonso suddenly noticed that his nephew, Juan the Garzia, was riding near him. - What the hell you are doing there? I promised your mother I would do my best to keep you alive! A scion of small country nobility from Jaca, Juan was put under patronage of Don Alfonso at the age of six, starting as his page. Knowing the character of de Montcada, his parents were quite sure that their scion would have to visit some dangerous places - and tried to get certain guarantees. - I am a hidalgo, no way I am going to leave you and chicken out. And you could tell my mother you tried you best, my lord! - the youngster answered in a hot and quite impudent manner- in a way he would never have spoken to his master at peacetime. Suddenly, instead of becoming angry, the Count found that he was grinning - he was seeing himself in this boy, maybe for the first time since their acquintance. - Very well, stay close to me. But remember - if you are killed, I would beat the shit out of you afterwards!

They did not have much more time for conversation - for the lines of enemy infantry were getting near. De Montcada decided to lead his reiters into a caracole maneuver, in which they proved to be very effective. - Left! - he exclaimed, and turned to one side, the cavalrymen following him. As he did so, he unloaded his arqebuse - and saw a Castillian pikemen fall, both his breastplate and breast turned into a mash of flesh and iron. - Right! - this time he did not shoot, but these of the reitars that carried a pair of pistols, inclined to other side and fired from them. After that they returned to the back of the formation - and the next line of reitars followed. But this was only an appetizer - the main dish was only yet to be served.

- And now charge! - barked Don Alfonso, his horse carrying him into the midst of the confused pikemen. He heard the sound of many swords being taken from the scabbards - and unsheathed his as well. With a first slash he spilt some skull, then pierced a neck of an unknown, yet hapless militaman. The blood on the edge of his sword filled de Montcada with battle rage - and he again and again served blows from the top of his saddle. And around him the troopers were cleaving and paunching and disemboweling as well. Cutting the way through the panicking mass, they were getting closer and closer to the gold-and-green banner - the quarters of King Enrique. - Defend His Majesty! To his aid! The Count of Girona saw a group of royal guardsmen blocking their way. At the same time a regiment of infantry quickly left the main field of battle - where the knechts under Palafox were besetting the retreating Castillians - in order to protect the royal camp. The General smiled - such division of their forces was only serving his aims. - Defend yourself, sir! I am Felipe Tellez-Jiron, the Grandmaster of Calatrava! - a nobleman in a helmet with a cross-shaped pommel and in a wide red mantle galloped towards Don Alfonso. He was quite modest, for he was not only that - but a Count of Urena and a father of number legitimate and illegitimate children. In accordance with the statutes of his Order, he could not be a Grandmaster - but eager to keep the power within the Jiron family, which held it nearly since 1445, the King Enrique secured his elections by shameless bribes. - The Pope did not confirm you, Signor! - said the General, preparing to meet the foe. However, the Grandmaster (be he legal or illegal) served the first blow - his battleaxe hacked through the shield of Alfonso and damaged his shoulder. Hissing from pain, the Count of Girona raised his sword and brought it down in one mighty strike, сutting the throat of Jiron open. As the lad gasped, dropped the axe and grabbed the mane of his horse, de Montcada finished him with another violent jab. Simultaneously the remains of royal guardsmen were shot by the reitars - and the King, with the remains of the his armies, began to withdraw. However many of his troops, both cavalry and infantry, were routed, the supplies and wagon trains have fallen to the hands of victorious Aragonese - and more than a half of his regiments were now not among the living.

tumblr_mudf9bxx2_T1rtv2o1o1_1280.jpg

The skirmish near the camp of the Castilian King

- Are you wounded, sir? - as the battle finished, Palafox rode towards his commander-in-chief, wiping sweat off his round face. Don Alfonso, surrounded by his men, was inspecting the corpse of Grandmaster Jiron. - Give him a Christian burial, a brave man he was... Just a scratch, Senor Alonzo. So, what are the casualities? The Maestre de Campo washed his hands in a basin of clear water, before answering. - We have lost around four thousands - and they have lost nine... The Count smiled and wanted to say something - but at that moment he saw a man being led to him. - Who is that? One of the reitars pointed at his captive - it was an old infantry captain, with a face covered by bleeding scars, a crooked nose and tired eyes. - Sir, this was the man who... has maybe saved King Enrique. He commanded that troop that blocked out way to his headquarters. The Count of Girona put his hands on the shoulders of the grey-headed prisoner and bowed to him. - Your courage is commendable, sir. I am Lord Alfonso de Montcada. With whom do I have the honor to speak...? The Castillian officer returned the greeting, after taking several gulps of air - he was definitely exhausted. - Loyalty is all a hidalgo has, sir.... Don Martín Cortés de Monroy**, at your service. As both the General and captain walked towards the tent, Lord Alfonso, while praising the brave ways of Cortés, turned to more practical matters. - You would be treated well, good sir... but are you wealthy enough to pay the ransom, in accordance with the tradition? Don Martin sighed - and then laughed. Quite bitterly, it must be said. - I have nothing but an adventurous son, my sword and a leg that does not bend after being hit by a Saracen arrow, noble Count! Maybe it would be cheaper to hang me. Laughing at the joke of this war hound, Don Alfonso ordered to give him enough food and drink. - We would fix something, I am sure... Now, this a good start of campaign - and I hope that Almighty would let us conclude it well.

Elgrancapitantrasbatalladeceri%C3%B1ola.jpg

Don Alfonso de Montcada (in the midst of knights, with a plumage of white feathers) giving his last condolences to Grandmaster Jiron of Calatrava

About two years later, after the end of the Third Castillian War, En Alfonso Narzis Montcada, informed of the ascension of the new Monarch, forwarded the following latter to him.

Moncada-Spain.jpg

To Ferran, third of that name, of the House Trastamara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks (Michaelangelo - Private)

Your Majesty,

While in grief over the death of your August predecessor, I pledge my eternal loyalty to your illustrious person and your Throne. A loyal vassal to Trastamara Kings, I would be glad if my Sovereign would find my service useful, am ready to always be at your disposal and defend your divine rights from any enemies, be they internal and external.

At the same time, I want to congratulate Your Majesty on the victory over Castillians - and point that it was an honor for me to contribute to such. During the last years the armies of Your Majesty, under my command, were tirelessly battling both the Portuguese and Castilians in Cuenca, Toleda, Badajos, Cantabria, taking many towns and fortified castles. While I see myself only as an instrument in the hands of the Almighty and the Trastamara Kings, I must commend the patriotism and valor of Aragonese soldiers that have fearlessly given their lifes for their Monarch and fatherland. I am sure that such a great victory is a sign of a benevolence of our Saviour and that to Him, first of all, should we thankful for these successes. I have asked the chaplains to immediately serve a mass to celebrate the triumph of Your Majesty.

I send my King, with Don Alonzo de Palafox and my nephew, Don Juan de Gartzia, the numerous banners and standards, as well as the war trophies, that we took from Portuguese and Castillians, and hope to be able to arrive at your Cortz soon as well.

Your obedient servant,
Alfonso Narzis de Montcada

* Clearly one of the ancestors of José Rebolledo de Palafox y Melzi, Duke of Saragossa, a Spanish general in a Pennisular
** No other than the father of the famous conquistodor and traveller Hernan Cortes.​

Last edited:
Reactions:
3eKSocD.png

To the court,

First I offer my sincerest condolences to the King Ferran III on the passing of his father. King Ferran II lead our nation through many challenges and achieved many great victories, he will certainly be missed. Also, the death of Cardinal Sastre was indeed a black day for the Church. His contributions to the Kingdom were many, as both a man of God and a competent Minister. My heart is also saddened by the death of my friend Vincenzo Castelozzi, may the new Duke of Trinacria serve the Kingdom just as faithfully.

Congratulations are in order for Cardinal Módena as he takes the late Cardinal Sastre's place in the Sacred College of Cardinals. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my full support for the Cardinal's appointment to the Council, if Your Majesty sees him as an acceptable choice.

My plans as Court Chaplin will remain unchanged.

God Bless the King,

Cardinal Abate
Court Chaplin of Aragon
Archbishop of Palermo

"Land ahoy!" the ship's watch yelled.

For most of the expedition the three ships in Sancho's fleet (the Buena Suerte, Fortuna, and San Juan) had hugged the African coast. It was mostly wasteland, not much different than Beafada. Perhaps Aragon could get more ivory or even slaves from the smaller tribes, but nothing to excite the mind. Looking for something grander, Sancho decided to sail west a few miles.

Sancho peered through his looking glass on the deck. It was land alright- an island. Rocky, foreboding, and treacherous, it was unlikely that this island produced anything valuable. However, it could be useful as a naval base.

"We'll send a small expedition and plant the flag," he said to his new first mate, Sanchez. "After the war we'll hope the king sends colonists to formally claim it."

It certainly wouldn't be him! Never again would he colonize.

"That?" Sanchez asked incredulously. "That is just a pile of rocks!"

"The goal is to claim as many rocks as possible," Sancho replied. "Besides, maybe it has gold."

The island did not have gold, or anything really. But it was suited for a small naval base. Maybe it could be a prison for some dangerous criminal or deposed king.

Alejandro christened it Saint Helena. There was no local name.

The small fleet sailed to Beafada to resupply instead of Valencia. It was too dangerous to risk it with the Portuguese fleet hostile and at large.

The captain greeted his old colonists. The settlement was now livable as it boasted a village, farmlands, workshops and plenty of food. The jungle and its diseases and treachery were in the distance, though some hardy souls were in charge of collecting the ivory.

Nevertheless, he did not wish to remain a day longer in this hellhole than he had to. He served his time. Besides, the men were becoming distracted by the women in the town. The company sent women to Africa intending to create stable homes. Instead, they all became prostitutes. Such was life at the far corners of the world.

The fleet would sail when the winds permitted. He would chart a course west to lands unknown. Perhaps they would find a shorter passage to India. Maybe they would find new lands to colonize or the fabled cities of gold. The trick was to avoid the Portuguese fleet and their alleged colonies they had created, though no one knew whether these settlements were mere boasts.

Still no glory. But he was sure fortune still smiled upon him. This next leg of the expedition would bring glory. He could feel it...

st-helena-painting.jpg

Saint Helena

Reactions:
Moncada-Spain.jpg

Arriving at court, Conde Alfonso Narzis de Montcada quickly replaced his armor with black silks and linen - and made the following proposal,

Your Majesty and good lords of the Cortz,

Spending the last three years in the saddle and having served my King on the field of battle, I have come to the following conclusion: our armed forces are among the most valiant in the world. We have also advanced in the ways of waging war by adopting such new units as the Schwarze Reiters. However our army organization continues to be virtually nonexistent, depending from the whims, moods and preferences of each separate officer of the Crown. I believe that it is time to set a certain structure and a clear system of commissions that would reaffirm the authority of the King over the army and regulare the responsibilities of each commander. This is why I propose the following executive ordinance for the signature by His Majesty.

- Alfonso Narzis de Montcada, Count of Girona

The Military Organization Act

1. All royal troops of Aragon, be they cavalry, infantry or artillery, are to be divided into brigades. Each brigade may be from 9000 to 18 000 men in size and commanded by a Captain General appointed by the King.
2. Each brigade consists of tercio and may include from three to six tercio. Each tercio may be from 3000 to 6000 men in size. Each tercio is commanded by a Maestro de Campo appointed by the King. Each Maestro de Campo is assisted by Sargento Major, as his chief of staff and second in the line of authority, and Fourier Major as an officer in charge of logistics and armaments. Both Sargento Major and Fourier Major receive their commission from the King upon his discretion, yet the Marshal of Aragon, Captain General or Maestro de Campo may provide their recommendations.
3. Each tercio is divided into 12 companies. Each company may be from 300 to 6000 men in size. Each tercio is commanded by a Captain. Each Captain receives his commission from the King upon his discretion, yet the Marshal of Aragon, Captain General or Maestro de Campo may provide his recommendations. A Captain is assisted by an Ensign, who serves as the second in the line of authority to the Captain and carries the company colors, and a Sergeant, who is in charge of fourirs and responsible for bringing the orders of the Captain and Ensign down to the soldiers.The Ensign receives receives his commission from the King upon his discretion, yet the Marschal of Aragon, Captain General or Maestro de Campo may provide his recommendations. The Sergeant may be appointed either directly by the King or by Captain General. The Maestro de Campo and commanding Captain may provide their recommendations.
4. Each company is divided into 12 platoons. Each platoon may from 30 to 60 men in size. Each platoon is commanded by a Corporal. Each Corporal may be appointed either directly by the King or by the Maestro de Campo. The commanding Captain may provide his recommendations.

((Basically what the Great Captain did in RL Spain round the time, with slight alterations...))

Last edited:
((Private))

Only the night before his father had been full of life, vigorously attempting to persuade Armand to marriage. There hadn’t been the slightest sign of his impending demise as the hypocrite gesticulated wildly and extolled the virtues of married life. Whilst Manuel had never been a particularly attentive father, his love for his family was beyond doubt.

Armand felt an emptiness as he looked down upon the man who had loomed large over his young life, who now lay still, cold and pallid. He had found his father’s ambition exhausting, the continual scheme woven into the fabric of daily life need no longer continue, and yet he already missed its presence.

Ava, ever attuned to his mood, slid a comforting arm around his shoulder. Ah, how many times had he yielded to that soft embrace? As hard as the siblings had tried to hide the wicked sin that lay between them, he knew the Cardinal had an inkling of their desires. With his watchful eye no longer…

No, no, no! He must not think such at his father’s deathbed, he had promised himself only last week that it would be the last time. He clenched his fist, feeling his nails dig into his palm as he tried to tear his mind away from sin.

Christ help me.

Reactions:
((willing to serve as conquistador))

((I've tentatively set the limit for conquistadors at 2, since I highly doubt I'll be sending more than two armies out to explore and I doubt swapping out conquistadors would work as well as with explorers. I'm not adding any in at the moment, since we need to actually find some land over there first before we start landing men there. I'm keeping track of people requesting the positions and will probably check back with everyone next update to see if anyone who asked still wants the position.))

To His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Your Majesty,

First of all I wish to offer my condolences to you and your family after the loss of your beloved father, the late King Ferran II de Trastámara. Secondly I wish to stress the importance of coastal trade posts in Africa, especially the Gold Coast region, thus I implore you to fund a small expedition to establish a trade post on the Gold Coast. I will, of course, offer my services to lead this expedition, which will, undoubtedly, profit the Aragonese Crown in the long run.

Yours sincerely,
Georgios Otto Alexandros Voulgaris
Γεώργιος 'Οθων Αλέξανδρος Βούλγαρης

((Do you mean the actual Gold Coast province or just any province in the area? 05060403 has already asked to colonize the Gold Coast province, but if you mean the region I can just colonize a random province nearby for you.))

NMTb8q6.png

Your Grace,

May I offer my humblest apologies for not being with you during this dark time, Know that the light of the lord shines through all darkness if you let him. I also mourn the passing of Cardinal Sastre, who was like a second father to me. He served Aragon for years with great skill and dedication. Due to my appointment as Cardinal I must resign from being a missionary, at least to far away regions. The duties of a Cardinal to God, the Pope, and State are pressing and require my immediate attention. However, I have not forsaken your majesty and your government. I would like to serve your grace on the council in the capacity of Chancellor of the realm.

My God keep you in the light of the lord,

Raffaelo, Cardinal Módena, Cardinal-Archbishop of Cagliari and Primate of Sardinia.

((I admit that I've been clinging to that Chancellor position since the start because I know how annoying it will be trying to ensure any Chancellor has all the information necessary to make decisions. It's been suggested to me that I should start sharing the save file. Thus I am putting a requirement on the Chancellor position, due to how crucial it is. Anyone who wants to be Chancellor must have access to EUIV so they can view any save file I provide or be active on the Coldfront channel. I don't want to put up with providing endless information on our relations and potential war targets. If you meet the requirements and still want it, just tell me. :)))

Xs93UHA.png

I believe now that I am king, it is a good time to present my two sons to the court ((just so you know that Ferran III actually has kids :p)). Thus I present my 15-year-old son Alfons and 7-year-old son Carles.

Alfons, a tall muscular boy, gives a little bow as his eyes frantically scan the room, taking in every little detail. Carles doesn't seem that interested in what is going on and decides it'll be more fun to punch his older brother in the side. Alfons, ever alert, catches his brother's hand by the wrist before he can touch him and gently pushes him away. King Ferran III merely smiles and returns his attention to the court.

Now I must return to my duties. A kingdom doesn't run itself.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Reactions:
((I've tentatively set the limit for conquistadors at 2, since I highly doubt I'll be sending more than two armies out to explore and I doubt swapping out conquistadors would work as well as with explorers. I'm not adding any in at the moment, since we need to actually find some land over there first before we start landing men there. I'm keeping track of people requesting the positions and will probably check back with everyone next update to see if anyone who asked still wants the position.))
((One conquistador could actually already start adventuring into West Africa. The TPTC would surely finance such an expedition where they have the monopoly. And there is paradoxically not an as high death rate as for American conquistadors. But else it seems like the good way to go.))

Your majesty,

I propose forming a colony on the island of Saint Helena found in the Atlantic. It would help expand Aragon's power in the south Atlantic, serving as a place where ships could re-provision. My family is, of course, quite experienced in managing islands and would gladly fund, manage, and provide colonists for such a venture. My son, Cristobal would be ecstatic if appointed Count of this colony.

Long live the King!
Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

(( phew, catching up just in time to make the deadline! ))

"Full speed ahead!"

The expedition was a success. For a time, at least.

They had spotted land after a long and arduous journey. Was it India? Perhaps the fabled city of gold?

No, it was Portuguese territory, they would soon find out after a trio of Portuguese warships began to chase them.

"The Fortuna, and San Juan have no chance, captain!" First Mate Sanchez yelled at the captain. It was true: the two smaller ships were trailing behind and getting mauled by the much bigger Portuguese galleons.

"We'll have to leave them behind or we'll never make it!" Captain Sancho regretfully replied to Sanchez.

"Not very bold of you, captain," Sanchez chided him.

"Remember, boldness is only for big ships," he replied.

The chase continued for the next few hours. The two unfortunate ships sank but it looked like the speedy Buena Suerte might slip away.

Until the winds came, that is. Massive headwinds, as if sent down from God himself, soon slowed down the progress of the ship and rendered the speed advantage of the vessel moot. Once the galleons got in range, they fired their cannons into the fragile ship.

"I knew I shouldn't have skipped that Mass last year," Alejandro muttered.

"You skipped a Mass!" Sanchez gasped.

Alejandro rolled his eyes. Sometimes his crew was so naive.

Sadly, those would be Sanchez's last words as a cannon ball tore through his body and cratered the starboard side of the Buena Suerte. A lucky hit for the Portuguese and Alejandro was knocked back, unconscious. A few more lucky shots and the unfortunate Buena Suerte was sinking.

Alejandro woke up in darkness. The last thing he remembered was an explosion. Was he in heaven?

No, heaven didn't smell like feces and rat. And it certainly didn't have chains or angry Portuguese men slapping you.

Alejandro Sancho was a captive of the Portuguese and the only surviving member of the proud expedition that set out one year ago. Getting a disease in Beafada never seemed so appealing.

Reactions:
((One conquistador could actually already start adventuring into West Africa. The TPTC would surely finance such an expedition where they have the monopoly. And there is paradoxically not an as high death rate as for American conquistadors. But else it seems like the good way to go.))

((Ah, good point. I guess I'll add in some conquistadors then. I know that you and zenphoenix wanted to be ones, so I'll add you two in. Delpiero also wanted to, but his character has run off to Venice so I'm not sure how he'd be able to be a conquistador at the moment.))

Your majesty,

I propose forming a colony on the island of Saint Helena found in the Atlantic. It would help expand Aragon's power in the south Atlantic, serving as a place where ships could re-provision. My family is, of course, quite experienced in managing islands and would gladly fund, manage, and provide colonists for such a venture. My son, Cristobal would be ecstatic if appointed Count of this colony.

Long live the King!
Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

(( phew, catching up just in time to make the deadline! ))

((I think St. Helena may be just out of our range, but I could be wrong since I didn't check after we took the Portuguese colonies. It will surely be in range if we unlock the next diplo tech, so I'll make sure we get it then.))

((Do you mean the actual Gold Coast province or just any province in the area? 05060403 has already asked to colonize the Gold Coast province, but if you mean the region I can just colonize a random province nearby for you.))

((I admit that I've been clinging to that Chancellor position since the start because I know how annoying it will be trying to ensure any Chancellor has all the information necessary to make decisions. It's been suggested to me that I should start sharing the save file. Thus I am putting a requirement on the Chancellor position, due to how crucial it is. Anyone who wants to be Chancellor must have access to EUIV so they can view any save file I provide or be active on the Coldfront channel. I don't want to put up with providing endless information on our relations and potential war targets. If you meet the requirements and still want it, just tell me. :)))

((To be honest I really like the position of chancellor but real life commitments would make it hard to do well. I will go with steward instead. Thank you for the informative answer. It will be good to have a Cardinal-Minister again.))

Reactions:
((Time to start the votes. We get to pick a new mission and can change our national focus if we want. We also have one law to vote on.

The Military Organization Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Mission: Manpower/Papal Controller/Corsica/Abstain
National Focus: Admin/Diplo/Military/None/Abstain

You have until Wednesday at 9am PST to vote. People are still free to ask to back colonies up until that time.

))

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ctive-aragon-aar.869752/page-99#post-20040315

Your Majesty,
I fear that I do not know much about military matter, that is why I'm abstaining from the vote on The Military Organization Act. I also think the our nation needs to recover from the recent war, we should focus on exploration, colonization and trade. ((Mission: Manpower)). ((National Focus: Diplo))
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
Head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Comapny, Grandmaster of Aragon

[courtier, merchant, Grandmaster, +1VP for unclaimed merchant]

The Military Organization Act: Si
Mission: Manpower
National Focus: Diplo

[courtier; explorer]

Senor Voulgaris,

As a man who is familiar with the African coast and an advocate of colonial expansion, I support your efforts to expand Aragon's hold on the region. I am willing to bankroll your expedition should you need funds. You shall be properly supplied since I know what goods and resources a burgeoning colony needs.

-Alejandro Sancho

((Asking to fund TJDS in the Gold Coast))

My liege,

I agree with the Military Organization Act. At the same time, we should try to allow the nation's reserves to recover to allow for further military action. Finally, with your great skill in administration, it is no linger necessary to appoint extra assistants, and I would recommend ending the practice.

Long live the King!
-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

(( The Military Organization Act: Yes
Mission: Manpower
National Focus: None ))

Your Majesty,

You certainly didn't make the wrong choice when you accepted my request. I promise to bring riches of all kind back to Aragon. Even more, as my brother always says: Knowledge. I guarantee that no savage will stay in our way. ((As focus for the conquistador, I'd pick shock))
As for the votes, I have to say that the Military Organization Act is a most welcome initiative by an experienced general, far ahead of its age ((would fit with the research of Tercio infantry ;))). None of the current plans strike me as very useful though. The aim should be somewhere else, in my opinion. And I do not think it wise to focus on a single aspect of ruling either.

((The Military Organization Act: Yes
Mission: None (if possible, else abstain)
National Focus: None ))

Your faithful subject,
Denis Philippe de Montségur

[unlanded noble, conquistador ]

Your majesty,
As I am not affiliated with the army in any way and so don't know how it works ((i.e. it's kind of complicated)), I have to abstain from the Military organization act. As my grandfather said before me, Corsica would act as a great naval base to attack Provence and Genoa, should we attack them. Trade and exploration are of the utmost importance at the moment, so I suggest we focus on diplomacy.

With regards,
Ferdinand Xaver Lübecker

((Uhm, so if you become Grand Admiral you change from general to admiral, right? IG?))