• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It would be pointless to grant any trading company a monopoly on trade with Genoa and Venice. We are mutually embargoing each other, so there is no trade between our kingdoms at this time. You can't monopolize what doesn't exist.

Excuse me, Your Majesty. I forgot. Too much time thinking about consequences, so I missed the original point of my own idea - I may be getting old. Then I do not see any reason to grant a legal monopoly, and will also tell the traders the same.

Castelozzi felt as if hit by the same illness that had plagued his grandfather. What a fool he had made of himself. Well, he had to clear things up.

-to Francesco Chiave-

I am deeply sorry for my last letter, however it may have seemed to you. You must know that my grandfather suffered under some strange loss of memory and mental capabilities at the end of his life, and I fear that I am experiencing similar symptoms. Hopefully it is only a passing loss. In any case, I cannot support your monopoly. It would force any Aragonese trader in Italy to join the TPTC, and exclude any Italians from the lucrative exchange. Aragon has the might to enforce this, but I am sure the Italians wouldn't be happy. I also have my concerns about the growing might of the Trans-Pyrenean Company if it isn't that much Trans-Pyrenean any more. I am also too conflicted in diplomatic matters and not enough in trade to truly understand the benefit it would give to the crown other than the obvious income due to the TPTC.

Again, I express my excuses, and may your affairs turn well,
Vincenzo Castelozzi

Your Majesty,
I am currently working on the plan for our navy and will provide you with more details soon.

Your humble subject,
Francesco Chiave, Grand Admiral of Aragon and Representative of the TPTC in Italy

((You could please show us a screenshot of the navy size and composition other nations? Ledger view of the largest navies in the known world.))

Your Majesty,
I am currently working on the plan for our navy and will provide you with more details soon.

Your humble subject,
Francesco Chiave, Grand Admiral of Aragon and Representative of the TPTC in Italy

((You could please show us a screenshot of the navy size and composition other nations? Ledger view of the largest navies in the known world.))

((
))

Reactions:
Even as the heathens of this world start to embrace the true faith, there are more methods that must be taken. There are those who claim to follow Catholicism, but they never step foot inside a church or so much as utter a prayer. It is time that we rectify this. I propose that church attendance be made mandatory on the holy day of Sunday. All Aragonese citizens will be required to attend Mass on that day so that we can assure that they hear the word of God. Only then will we be certain that these heathens follow the faith and hear what is within the Bible. This law shall be know as the Act of Uniformity.

- Prince Ferran de Trastámara

((If anyone is wondering, I'm trying to pass the in-game decision of the same name. Can't resist that penalty-free missionary strength. :D))

Reactions:
Even as the heathens of this world start to embrace the true faith, there are more methods that must be taken. There are those who claim to follow Catholicism, but they never step foot inside a church or so much as utter a prayer. It is time that we rectify this. I propose that church attendance be made mandatory on the holy day of Sunday. All Aragonese citizens will be required to attend Mass on that day so that we can assure that they hear the word of God. Only then will we be certain that these heathens follow the faith and hear what is within the Bible. This law shall be know as the Act of Uniformity.

- Prince Ferran de Trastámara

((If anyone is wondering, I'm trying to pass the in-game decision of the same name. Can't resist that penalty-free missionary strength. :D))

Cardinal de Vascona applauds from the grave

Reactions:
Your Majesty,

I have studied the strength of your enemy's navies and come to the conclusion that we need to increase the size of it. Especially, the Venetians are a threat. Should any event lead to a war with them, then our navy would not only be outnumbered by the Venetian navy, it would also most likely suffer a crushing defeat. Aragon, by right, should be the unchallenged naval power in the Mediterreanean Sea. Leaving this position to our rivals, the Venetians, is dangerous. I don't want to know the fate our navy would suffer in case of war.

I ask that:
  1. 10 more galleys and 2 more early carracks will be built once we have enough funds to do so.
  2. While we are at peace our fleet of transports shall be mothballed to reduce maintenance cost.
  3. 50% of our galleys shall also be mothballed while we are at peace. By mothballing some of the galleys, we will generate enough funds to further go over our naval forcelimit and thereby allow the production of the ships I plan to comission.
This plan will ensure that Aragon will return to be the unchallenged naval power in the Mediterranean Sea.

Regards,

To the Humble Priest Spinoza,

To answer your first point you won't have missed much, as most affairs are occuring outside our borders,
as you may have heard, our King, ever in his wisdom, chose to reclaim the lands he viewed as his, from our neighbour in god and land, Castile, furthermore, we have recently been called into a war alongside Portugal, on the Afrikan state of Jolof, in which- through seperate peace, the ourt agreed to seize a collection of land from the infidels ((last i heard it was the coastal provinces)). As a final matter, aragon has succeeded a successful monoply in trade, with baes in both Jolof and across the mediterrean.

As for offical residency for ourselves, most of us abode inside our respective chapels of cathedrals but, as is our duty to the divine lord, me and my fellow cardinals often congregate in Valencia, if of a religious national importance, or in Rome, should His Holiness wish to decree important matters to us, his Subjects.

I am sure we can find time to discuss this delicate matter in a more appropiate place, perhaps come to my diocese in the North, at Pirineo, i shall pay for your travel costs, no worries the my friend. I hope you take up this offer, and to see you shortly.

Yours truly,

Cardinal Juan de Soneta, Archbishop to Pirineo

((basically i am inviting you to do a joint IC post, such as what 05 and kei, or me and Mike, or me and Dei have done, in which our characters become better acquainted with one another, as well as having a discussion on St Augustine's philosophy.))
Thank you for the kind offer. I shall travel to Pirineo as soon as possible; I should be there within the month, barring bad weather.
With much humility,
Padre de Spinoza

(How would we coordinate an IC post, through irc or messaging or whatever? Thanks, this concept is new to me.)

Your Majesty,

I have studied the strength of your enemy's navies and come to the conclusion that we need to increase the size of it. Especially, the Venetians are a threat. Should any event lead to a war with them, then our navy would not only be outnumbered by the Venetian navy, it would also most likely suffer a crushing defeat. Aragon, by right, should be the unchallenged naval power in the Mediterreanean Sea. Leaving this position to our rivals, the Venetians, is dangerous. I don't want to know the fate our navy would suffer in case of war.

I ask that:
  1. 10 more galleys and 2 more early carracks will be built once we have enough funds to do so.
  2. While we are at peace our fleet of transports shall be mothballed to reduce maintenance cost.
  3. 50% of our galleys shall also be mothballed while we are at peace. By mothballing some of the galleys, we will generate enough funds to further go over our naval forcelimit and thereby allow the production of the ships I plan to comission.
This plan will ensure that Aragon will return to be the unchallenged naval power in the Mediterranean Sea.

Regards,

King Ferran silently curses to himself and swears never to give any ships as a gift to the TPTC again.

((If I had known the new Grand Admiral would want to go so far over the force limit, I wouldn't have disbanded the entire Neapolitan navy. :rolleyes:))

King Ferran silently curses to himself and swears never to give any ships as a gift to the TPTC again.

((If I had known the new Grand Admiral would want to go so far over the force limit, I wouldn't have disbanded the entire Neapolitan navy. :rolleyes:))

((Instead of disbanding them you could have mothballed. This is what I suggest in the plan. In case of a war with Venice, our navy will be outnumbered. Having a mothballed fleet costs very little maintenance.))

((This will be a short vote. Only one item to vote on.

Grand Admiral's Plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Act of Uniformity: Yes/No/Abstain

You have until Friday at 9am PST to vote. Please bold your vote and include your character's name and class. Also, anyone who has offered to be an explorer, please include a mission from the list at the end of the last update. If you don't give me a mission, you don't get to explore. Explorers who show up at court and just say "I want to explore!" don't inspire enough confidence in those financing them. They need to provide a plan. Please provide one before the vote deadline. As for future conquistadors, you'll have to bide your time and wait until we discover some land first.))

Last edited:
Francesco trusts in the word of God and therefore feels that the Act of Uniformity will help strengthen the faith.

((Act of Uniformity: Yes
Grand Admiral Plan: Yes))
[Francesco Chiave, courtier, Grand Admiral]

Last edited:
Though I am relatively new at the court, I believe it is our God-given duty to go forth for Christ and stay free of sin.
Act of Uniformity: Yes
-Padre de Spinoza ((Clergy))

All souls must hear their priest preach, least their minds fall into wrong thought and heresy. All priests shall benefit from the guidance of the church fathers in order to avoid misguided preachings.
Whilst an expansion of the navy is a good idea, I am unsure if now is the most opportune time to undertake it.

- Cardinal Sastre

Grand Admiral's Plan: Abstain
Act of Uniformity: Yes

[Cardinal]

Last edited:
I applaud the Prince's initiative and encourage all my fellow members of the court to support this law ((I would of purposed it myself but I missed the deadline)). Also, my plans as Court Chaplin are to remain unchanged.

Cardinal Abate

((Act of Uniformity: Yes))
[Cardinal, Court Chaplin]

Your Majesty,
While navy is very important to our nation, I do not think we are in an immediate need. A war with the Venetians seems distant, that is why I must object the plan of our Grand Admiral. The amount of funds that would be needed to build that many ships is enormous, and I believe we cannot afford it with a war with the Castillians in sight. The money would be better spent on mercenaries and army.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
head of the Trans-Pyrenean Trading Company, Grandmaster of Aragon

Reactions:
((Because 05 has objected to the Grand Admiral's plan, it is now included in the vote. I'll go edit the vote post to include it. Everyone who has already voted may edit their vote to include it.))