• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maxime watched as everyone enjoyed the feast. Everyone expect Cardinal Sastre... Then he remembered he had a proposal to the treasurer. Maxime excused the people with which he was talking with and went to make his proposal to the Cardinal:
"I see that you do now enjoy me feast as much as everyone, and I think I know just why you came. So let us discuss it on the side."
After going to a more quiet place
"It's becoming harder and harder to bring some good into Aragon, and while I know that you do not deal with the matters of trade, you have influence I lack. And this is where my proposal comes in:
If you help me with the cumbersome fees that I have to pay to bring some things into Aragon I'm willing to part with few ducats that I would save on that. I'm thinking 10% of my newly found trade company's income. So what do you say?"

In the carriage between Valencia and France Manuel found the time to read through the reports of the inquisitors sent to investigate the Duke of Tinacria. Inquisitors had been sent to Palermo, and the army where they had invited individuals to "relieve their consciences". Of course such denunciations were anonymous, and led to all sorts of claims made by those with a grudge against the accused.
By the looks of things Castelozzi had made a few enemies. 'The Duke spat at the crucifix... ...sacrificed a pig to demons... ...lays with beasts...' Manuel snickered as he imagined the Duke in such a circumstance. It was all nonsense of course, and none of it would stand up to further investigation. The papers would be burnt.

Nb3LF6N.png

((Tribunal
Castelozzi guilty of heresy: NO

[Cardinal, Minister]

Name: Lourenco Vincent Nunez
Date of birth: 1469
Class: Courtier - Explorer(?)
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Born 32 years ago in the city of Barcelona to a fishing family, Lourenco had an adventurous soul from a young age. Setting off on small expeditions out of port in his family's fishing boat he would navigate the coastlines and dock up attempting to find new places to run about and play in. At the age of 17 he set off on an expedition to Tunis, discovering his love for foreign lands; even if their false religion was a mockery of the true worship of God. Now he wishes to go further; perhaps to the land of China but over the sea, not the land...

Last edited:
Reactions:
((@alscon ))
to the Honourable Duke Castelozzi

I shall what can be done, however i am merely a small fish in this very big pond.
If indeed you are ailing, may my brother offer his physcian if needs be, for i am sure he'd wish to aid a family friend.

Yours respectfully,
Archbishop de Soneta

((@Dadarian ))

Dear Conte,

Through my brother your letter came to me, and i am surprised at yourself.
The Duke is most sane, if antagonised by pressing comments by you.

I doubt he'll accept aid from yourself, given your recent provocation of his person.

May the point of this message be made clear, you are a kite dancing in a hurricane. You are dancing very well, but one false move and you will fall.
Be very careful with your next move, lest you falter and fall, and thus pay the price.

Yours respectfully,
Archbishop de Soneta

((very proud of that last letter, got 2 movie/music references in it, 3 points to first guesser))

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Conde Bartolo Etxeto of House Etxeto

To the Archbishop of Soneta,

The Honoured Duke of Trinacria is near death, and speaks obvious fabrications. I would rather give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it is due to a misalignment of the humours rather than deliberate falsifications. It has recently been proved that he is a pious man without doubt, and as such should be given the Lord's generosity in this regards. As to said misalignment, an offer of a proper physician is the least I can do for a man of his station. Whether or not his family accepts is their prerogative.

Concerning your threats, I will ignore them. It is below an Archbishop to casually threaten a member of the aristocracy. I expect such discussion to immediately end between us.

Respectfully,

Conde Bartolo Etxeto of Navarra

((Spectre; James Bond Trailer))

To Conte Etxeto,

I did not intend for you to percieve my words as threatening, rather words of caution, for there can be many at court who'd aim to try undermine the position of a man aspirating to join our nations esteemed Cortz.

Yours respectfully,
Archbishop de Soneta

((@Dadarian 1 1/2 points, can you name the other reference?))

((This brings to light the subject which plagued Renaissance Europe: were high-ranking clergy Aristocrats themselves? It does seem in our Aragon that they are. Perhaps we are beginning to show the fruit of the struggle between the landed nobles and the corrupt clergy?? Fascinating stuff people. RP lives out real world history))

Xs93UHA.png

I have received word from the headquarters of the Inquisition in Granada. After days of debate, the Inquisition has deemed Luigi Castelozzi to be not guilty. I personally never doubted the duke.

With the passing of the late Duke Sebastian de Loarre, I have need for someone to assume his role on the Cortz. As of late, only Bartolo Etxeto has shown interest in the position. With Duke Castelozzi in no condition to advise us, that leaves only Duke de Agramunt. It would not be much of an advisory body if there was only one person active on it. I thus deem it acceptable for Bartolo Exteto to join its ranks. He will, of course, we granted the duchy of Navarra, which should make up for the confusion regarding that title that occurred recently. May he serve the kingdom well.

While it may not be the most pleasing of subjects, it has been brought up that those who are members of the Order of the Light should have the option to be buried in the Cathedral in Valencia, most notably the late Cardinal de Vascona. I would like to know the courts' opinion on this.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

((To sum things up, alscon is innocent, Dadarian is now on the Cortz, and we have a vote to conduct. Seeing as alscon has requested that the Inquisition investigate Dadarian, the clergy will vote on whether or not to do that. Here are the votes:

The Noble Internment Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Investigate Bartolo Exteto?: Yes/No/Abstain

Remember, the last vote is for clergy only. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class. Edit: Oops, forgot the end time. This vote will end on Friday at 9am.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((This brings to light the subject which plagued Renaissance Europe: were high-ranking clergy Aristocrats themselves? It does seem in our Aragon that they are. Perhaps we are beginning to show the fruit of the struggle between the landed nobles and the corrupt clergy?? Fascinating stuff people. RP lives out real world history))

((High ranking clergy were almost always from prestigious noble families, though there were some exceptions and there was more social mobility in the Church than in many other fields.))

The Noble Internment Act: Si

[Courtier]

-Alejandro Sancho

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duque Bartolo Etxeto of House Etxeto

The Noble Internment Act: Si
[Noble, Duque]

Maxime watched as everyone enjoyed the feast. Everyone expect Cardinal Sastre... Then he remembered he had a proposal to the treasurer. Maxime excused the people with which he was talking with and went to make his proposal to the Cardinal:
"I see that you do now enjoy me feast as much as everyone, and I think I know just why you came. So let us discuss it on the side."
After going to a more quiet place
"It's becoming harder and harder to bring some good into Aragon, and while I know that you do not deal with the matters of trade, you have influence I lack. And this is where my proposal comes in:
If you help me with the cumbersome fees that I have to pay to bring some things into Aragon I'm willing to part with few ducats that I would save on that. I'm thinking 10% of my newly found trade company's income. So what do you say?"

As you say, I am not the Grandmaster, however I would be amenable to using what influence I have to secure you various privileges and perhaps a monopoly or two.
Manuel considered for a moment.
This salt tax you have here in France is... very arbitrary. The church sympathises with the ordinary frenchman in his struggles to pay such a heavy sum. Perhaps we can help?

((Manuel is suggesting salt smuggling here))

---

The Noble Internment Act: Abstain
Investigate Bartolo Exteto?: No

[Cardinal, Minister]

As you say, I am not the Grandmaster, however I would be amenable to using what influence I have to secure you various privileges and perhaps a monopoly or two.
Manuel considered for a moment.
This salt tax you have here in France is... very arbitrary. The church sympathises with the ordinary frenchman in his struggles to pay such a heavy sum. Perhaps we can help?

He was right... The salt tax was very annoying. Maxime had to think this through. Such thing is illegal, and probably in against the church in some way, but the amount of wealth it would bring was immense. In the end Maxime agreed to Cardinal's plan.:
"We have a deal. I would also like to proclaim you as a co-creator of my trading company. We are quite small at this moment, but I think if we work together we might expand very fast. So what do you say? I know that I'm changing the original offer by quite a lot here but if you accept I'm willing to give you 40% of the company's profit."

Your Majesty,
I do not have enough experience to fully comprehend the ways of nobility, this is why I'm abstaining from this vote.
Maxime de Saint-Pierre,
a merchant

He was right... The salt tax was very annoying. Maxime had to think this through. Such thing is illegal, and probably in against the church in some way, but the amount of wealth it would bring was immense. In the end Maxime agreed to Cardinal's plan.:
"We have a deal. I would also like to proclaim you as a co-creator of my trading company. We are quite small at this moment, but I think if we work together we might expand very fast. So what do you say? I know that I'm changing the original offer by quite a lot here but if you accept I'm willing to give you 40% of the company's profit."

It would not be seemly for a man of the cloth to be seen engaging in trade, so I cannot accept such terms.

3eKSocD.png

To the court,

I announce my support for the Noble Internment Act. To be able to lay such distinguished members of the court, such as the late Cardinal de Vascona, to rest within the Cathedral of Valencia is the only proper way to honor such a servant of the Kingdom. May we all aspire to be as pious and loyal subjects as the late Cardinal.

As for the other matter, I must say I find myself concerned for the Duke Castelozzi's state of mind at his advanced age. However, I believe only sinners and heretics have anything to fear from an Inquisition. Not to mention, the Duke of Navarra forced the innocent Duke Castelozzi into one as well. Therefore, perhaps it is only fair to subject Duke Exteto to the same scrutiny, especially since the Duke wishes to represent the Nobles, whose power and status is granted through the Lord.

May God bless us all,

Cardinal Abate
Court Chaplin of Aragon
Archbishop of Palermo

((The Noble Internment Act: Yes
Investigate Bartolo Exteto?: Yes
Should I wait until the next update to present my plans as Court Chaplin?))
[Cardinal, Court Chaplin]

Should I wait until the next update to present my plans as Court Chaplin?))

((May as well wait. There's not much to do anyway. I'll just keep investing in becoming papal controller.))

'Why does everyone think it necessary to send over their damned physicians? Don't they think I am able to find one good enough... *cough*... What they can do for me is leave me alone and that Basque snake out of the Cortz, not send me their help! There's nothing they can do! I am old and that is all there is to say! *cough*' The physician tried to alleviate the Duke's pain, but he waved him away.
'Father, please, calm down. They are only doing what can be expected of them. The best aid they can give. They all mean well, and you should be thankful for that.'
'It is easy to help a dying man, isn't it! Well, I won't have any of their so-called help! Perhaps from de Soneta, but the others would rather poison me to fasten my death! Never! Now get out as well!'
Vincenzo despaired. Even simple court etiquette annoyed his father now. But he still had to inform him of the development at court.'Father, I am sure you want to hear about your trial. You were found innocent.'
'Of course', he just mumbled into his beard. 'The clerics must get some things right.'
'As for the Cortz, I fear that nobody has presented himself other than Bartolo Etxeto, who has become a part of that assembly...' Vincenzo had long thought about whether to tell him or not. Then he remembered that his father, whatever condition he was in, sat in the Cortz as well – so he had to tell him.
The Duke erupted like the Etna, impressive considering his situation. Curses of all kind followed, not just of Etxeto, but of all nobles, unable to see even the simplest things, without any ambition behind them – did they all want to stay counts or lower? He should have asked the lord of that crumbling castle over the hill to present himself – he would have done it! Back in his youth, he would have... he would have... Then this outburst of energy asked its tribute, and the Duke fell back, exhausted.
Vincenzo left his father with the physician and went to get Cardinal Abate, on the medicus' clear sign. There was nothing he could do for him. A tear rolled down from his eyes, as he knew that the bellicose man who was his father would soon be gone from this world.

Instead of his father, it was therefore Vincenzo who wrote to the king on behalf of this new law:

Your Majesty,

The Noble Internment Act is certainly a great honour, and reflects in death the Knight of the Light's deeds in his life. As such, I can only support it in my father's name.
I wish to excuse any upheaval he has caused in the recent past, though I do understand his wish for equal treatment of the Duque of Navarre. While a full inquisitorial investigation may be too much, may I propose that any newly elected member of the Cortz would have to experience a small ecclesiastical control of his faith? If any doubts arise, either his nomination can be retired or a full investigation follow. But this is no pressing concern.

Your humble servant,
Vincenzo Castelozzi, Heir to Trinacria

[landed noble, Cortz member, Representative to Byzantium]

((My proposition is to have an investigation 'light', with, halved chance to find something perhaps? In case of some minor evidence found, then the nobility can rethink the election, in case of major evidence a full investigation follow to see if it is the truth. But this proposal can wait for after the next years have passed. Might also be a bit much.))