• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Chancellor's Plan: No
Representative to Byzantium's Plan: Yes (Is the whole plan under vote or only the disputed part, the dynasty?)
OOC vote - Royal Marriages: Edit))

((The whole plan is under dispute, since we cannot be sure what everyone is voting no to. If it fails, it just means we follow the status quo.))

The letter, along with a copy of the Duke of Trinacria's, is forwarded to the Archbishop of Pirineo and the Archbishop of Valencia.

((This is calling for the clergy to call an inquisition on the Duke of Trinacria))

((Idk what the procedure is now))

((Well that didn't take long to get our first Inquisition investigation. Basically this is how it works. Since Dadarian has called for an investigation into alscon's character, all clergy will now vote on whether or not to investigate him. If they vote yes, I will use an RNG to determine how the investigation turns out and describe what in general is found. The clergy will then vote based on the evidence whether or not the accused is a heretic. It should be noted that if the evidence does not show signs of heresy, the king is likely to intervene and overrule any guilty verdict and the Inquisition will be penalized for one turn for trying to convict a innocent man. Anyway, let us start the vote:

Investigation of Luigi Castelozzi: Yes/No/Abstain

Remember, only clergy vote on this. They'll only have until Monday (tomorrow) at 12pm to vote, to tie it up with the other vote. I know that's not a lot of time, but with me planning an update after the other vote is done will really make things confusing if the investigation then takes a few years. I may extend it if not enough clergy vote. Anyway, please bold your vote and include your character's name and class... actually, the class doesn't matter since only clergy should be voting. Include it anyway for good practice. :p))

The presentation of the case to support the Duque

The man is most mature, and so has a novel interpretation on the judical rights of the land. Whilst yes our father in heaven reserves the right to appoint our esteemed noblity, the King is surely gods vessal in judical, if not ecclesiastical affairs, affairs, so in there he can be said to be treading the line of heresy through risque interpreation of his word, but the man is angry, the tone is there clear to see. Furthermore he is rambling, it is not wise to judge a man on his ramblings, i am sure many a misfortunate thing has been overheard from a mans ramblings, intoxicated or otherwise.

Thereby i feel it is most unwise to penalise this here gentleman purely on a perview of the assumptious and aloof Count Etxeto, thereby i say NO to the investigation to Duque Castelozzi.

Yours truly
Priest Juan de Soneta, Priest to Pirineo.

Last edited:
The Duke's laughs were heard through the whole camp as the letters from the archbishops and the Count of Navarra reached him. The inquisition was sent after him, on that zealot's request. Well, let them come. He had already been excommunicated once. They won't dare act against an old man in these times of war. Hell, he probably wouldn't even live to their judgment! Hell... Well, they wished him there, didn't they? Ah, the excitement of his youth... How good was it to feel it again. And even if the count thought God on his side - why did he just address the archbishops that would be favourable of such an inquisition? 'God works in mysterious ways.' Castelozzi already knew this answer would come. The true answer was nothing more than political calculations. The earthly realm functioned after man's laws after all, whatever the church said of the heavenly realm. Not that he would question that realm.

He went through his options. Juan de Soneta... Was his son's brother-in-law. Maybe that would help. Oh yes, it already did. One thing less to care about. Cardinal de Vascona would be against him for sure. He didn't exactly know what to expect from the archbishops de Valencia, de Gurrea and Vicario, but Abate from Palermo had declared his support. Now was the time to show what his word valued. Value... that was a good transition to the most esteemed treasurer. Whoever fills this position is likely to respond to some small donation... Either way, he hadn't much to fear. Still, it was most satisfying to devise such plans - just like in war. And in war, being on the losing side was dangerous - not for him, for he wouldn't lose.

myKh8vJ.png

To the most esteemed Inquisitors,

I can assure you that while I admit not being the most pious man, I am still a Catholic in every way. Just beause I do not show such a fanatism as the Count of Navarra doesn't mean I aim to fight the church. That is utter nonsense, and I am willing to give you an insight into whatever you want to prove it. My son, whose devotion has pleased the previous archbishop on more than one occasion, can surely confirm this. Just try to stay clear of the battles, as a man of the Lord should not get into a war against other Christians.

I shall await your judgment, hopefully before my death,
Duke Luigi Castelozzi of Trinacria

-to the archbishop of Valencia-

Your Eminence,

You certainly still know what I have presented against your plan to tax the nobility. I have said that the nobility may make a donation to the kingdom's coffers when we hold it necessary. With the realm at war, I now feel that such a moment has come. I wish to contribute to the war not only with my leadership and men, but also sustain a part of the cost. As treasurer, I therefore addressed you this letter. The man delivering it will carry my donation.

Respectfully,
Duke Luigi Castelozzi of Trinacria

As the messenger arrives at the archbishops' door, he has more than just one donation to make...

Investigation of Luigi Castelozzi:Yes

[Cardinal]

The hubris is truly appalling

The Chiave family supports an investigation of Luigi Castelozzi. This man is dangerous. Who knows what he is up to?

Francesco Chiave
[courtier]
((Investigation of Luigi Castelozzi: Yes))

Juan meets with Cardinal de Vascona to discuss his views.

Father, i fail to see how the man questions the given rights of our lord, what i see is him calling into question the judgement of Count Etexto that he has a automatic right to join the Cortz not, as i implied earlier, the vested rights of our lord in the appointment of men of noble power.

Offer to me something to suggest something of this nature, then perhaps i can offer a more 'appropriate' finding.

(in private prayer)

I bid forgiveness for my trespasses if i am incorrect in my presumptions if meus Deus Vult i pray humbly, and klyrie elesion if this misunderstanding is mea maxima culpa, congitatitonae, verbe et opere. Amen

((up to you entirely, you could or just let mike have a random public opinion expressed :p))
((Ok. Then I don't delete it if it doesn't matter.))

When Manuel greeted the young prince he showed no particular enthusiasm for being there. This was not surprising; Prince Alfons was not known for his piety. The idea of sharing a meal with a fifty year old archbishop could hardly be appealing to such a man. Manuel smirked as he led the prince to the dining table.

Apart from his beloved Dona and Raffaelo he had invited Viscountess de Guimerà, a pretty young thing, just married. The Viscount was off fighting somewhere - Naples, Manuel seemed to recall. The prince was seated next to the viscountess.

The main course passed with little event beyond Alfons rejecting the superb wine and demanding ale.
By desert though, the prince was clearly suffering. The truth was he had never known a woman could smell so good. Maybe he had just become accustomed to the foetid cheese smell that emanated from his lady wife, but every time his dinner companion leaned over to whisper in his ear the scents that filled his nose, nay his mind, nay his very soul seemed to be the work of god himself. He could barely describe them, his mind was filled with peaches, cherries, cream and all manner of delicious things.

Shortly after desert, Manuel was called away by something. The dona and Raffaelo left shortly afterwards. It was all the Prince could do to keep calm, when his companion lightly touched his arm he felt something begin to break.

---

Manuel was mildly disappointed at being unable to watch events unfold, but his mood soon improved when he was presented with a... delivery from the Duke of Trinacria. His uncle had never had a better idea than setting up an inquisition. Perhaps the 'Duke' of Navarre would require his assistance too?

It is good to be a priest.

Reactions:
ey1LIRL.png

-PROCLAMATION OF THE CORTZ, 1498-

Upon this act of aggression and dishonor, it is the resolution of the Cortz d'Arago that the Conte d'Exteto should be punished for his actions in the manner deemed most suitable by His Majesty, for the crimes of misrepresentation of title and stature, as well as the action of attempting to usurp the Regal title of Duc d'Navarra, which is held solely and exclusively by His Majesty, the King of Aragon. For these crimes, it is the recommendation of the Cortz d'Arago that the Conte d'Exteto be punished by the revocation of his titles, his forced abdication, or imprisonment unless he were to disavow himself from his "claim" to the Duchy of Navarra.

Lord Have Mercy,

D'AGRAMUNT

Joined by...

[x]

Etxeto-arms.gif

The Tribulations of House Etxeto; I
Bartolo rubbed his brow. The latest injunction by D'Agramunt will prove to be an annoyance that could sink the House if not brought about in a proper manner. The idea that the Cortz had the audacity to question the place of the House was beyond Bartolo's imagination. Castelozzi was a traitor and a heretic, and it needed to be dealt with, though Bartolo would have rather not have had to bring in the Church. However the Devil was alive on the letter that the Duke sent Bartolo, and it was his duty to do as he did.

Now the Archbishop of Valencia had a messenger begging at his door like a common pauper. The lecherous greed of the man made Bartolo sick, but that was the way of the world. Writing out a copy of the note proving how the Duchy of Navarre had been in the hands of the House since 1468, he sent that to D'Agramunt. Furthermore, he wrote out a small note gurgling in false praise of the Archbishop's piety and wisdom and then sent his messenger home loaded down with as much silver as he could carry plus some.

Hopefully heavyhanded bribes would get the corrupt priest to do his job.

Juan meets with Cardinal de Vascona to discuss his views.

Father, i fail to see how the man questions the given rights of our lord, what i see is him calling into question the judgement of Count Etexto that he has a automatic right to join the Cortz not, as i implied earlier, the vested rights of our lord in the appointment of men of noble power.

Offer to me something to suggest something of this nature, then perhaps i can offer a more 'appropriate' finding.

(in private prayer)

I bid forgiveness for my trespasses if i am incorrect in my presumptions if meus Deus Vult i pray humbly, and klyrie elesion if this misunderstanding is mea maxima culpa, congitatitonae, verbe et opere. Amen

((Private))

"The upper nobility is a truly treacherous caste and perhaps the Lord of Exteo is using the Church for nefarious purposes. However, I believe he is a pious man and is concerned with shre spiritual welfare of the kingdom. It is clear that Lord Castelozzi holds no regard for the position of the holy Church and disdains God's right to endow men with noble blood. All classes in Aragon view religious matters far too casually, even after the implementation of the Inquisition, and thus we must make an example of Castelozzi by investigating him to return Aragon to a righteous path.

Now, let us run through another trial homily..."

((Since I've been following this game for quite a while, might as well make a character :p))

bios_dias_bartolomew.jpg

Name:
Fernando Magalhães
Date of Birth: 12 August 1477
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic

Bio: Fernando Magalhães was born on 12 August 1477 in the town of Porto, Portugal as the only child of local cartographer and shopkeeper Luís Magalhães and an unknown mother. Fernando spent a majority of his early life helping his father work in his store and occasionally accompanied him in his small voyages across the coast of western Iberia.

However, this all changed when at the young age of 16, his father died of tuberculosis. In response to this, the adolescent Fernando fled from Portugal and moved to the town of Tarragona in northern Aragon to restart his life. Nowadays, Fernando works as a local cartographer in the country's capital of València and wishes to complete his father's eventual ambition of discovering the fabled West Indies.

Reactions:
c9CeDSX.png

Your Grace,

The current argument between house Etxeto with his ecclesiastical backers and the general with his nobles must end for the sake of Aragon. You yourself have stressed the important of unity and focus on the war. This conflict undermines both and your authority as a sovereign. I propose the following solution: Etxeto will demonstrate his obvious zealousness by taking vows as a monk, ceding his title to a male of his choosing. He can serve the clergy with his staunch beliefs and moral fibre. The general will be removed from the Cortz and returned to the rank of count. He will issue a formal repentance of his heretical views. Of course you alone decide their fate and punishment, but I beg you end this conflict.

-Alfonso D'Este, Viceroy of Naples, Rightful Duke of Modena

Xs93UHA.png

It is about time that I address the issues that have arisen at court. I believe that such arguments must be brought to an end with us embroiled in the midst of war with Castile. I cannot allow the nation to be distracted by such matters.

I shall first start with this call for an investigation of Duke Luigi Castelozzi in regards to charges of heresy. I recognize that the Inquisition has the authority over such matters, since it is a religious affair, but this is not the time nor place. I request that if the Inquisition feels the need to investigate the Duke, that they at least postpone their investigation until after the war is over. The last thing we need is one of our most skilled generals distracted by petty squabbles and possible charges while in the midst of battle. I consider this a reasonable request and expect the Inquisition to respect my decision. ((The investigation of Castelozzi will be conducted after the update tomorrow.))

As for the matter of the duchy of Navarra, which the Cortz has brought before me, I fear there has been a misunderstanding. Years ago when the Etxeto family was chosen to govern over Navarra, it was intended that they would be given the title for the county of Navarra. Perhaps due to the fact that the region was a small kingdom, and thus the title of county and duchy overlap, there was the unintended assumption that the ducal title had been handed over as well. This is not the case. The title for the duchy of Navarra has remained in my family for many years. My father was originally married to the Queen of Navarra, after all. I thus request that Bartolo Llorente Sancho Etxeto desist from using the title that does not belong to him and I shall forgive him for using it up until this date, since it was not clarified earlier. He shall maintain the title to the county of Navarra, and perhaps one day his family will be granted the ducal title as well. Today is not that day.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Reactions: