• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your Majesty,

From my humble position as courtier and furnisher of the Royal house,

I would like to give my personal opinions over the recent proposals you made.

The Alhambra Decree: No

I am a pious Christian, but as a merchant I believe the Jews will not cause harm to the crown lands of Aragon always if they respect your laws of course. Also they are a viable source of income for the Aragonese trade.

Extraordinary Court: Yes

I talk for past family experience - if my grandfather would have similar powers to rule in Lucca to keep at bay the upper class, his dynasty would have continued to guide the city in peace. My homeland just conquered Mantua, but the repubblican assets risks to be... strained and I am rather worried for the development of the Italian situation. I hope Aragon will never face those risks.

De Heretico Comburendo Act: Yes

I am not a theologian, but if the implementation of such rule will keep straight the population while allowing the royal treasure to be easily refilled... well, I am sure God will support this act!

Advancement of Religious Act: Abstain

This is something I can't really express - I guess this is more a matter for the Church, but I am not able to judge.

Respectfully,

Francesco Guinigi,

Merchant of the Repubblica di Lucca and furnisher of the Royal House of Aragon.

((At least I hope to have enough rights to express my vote now as courtier, otherwise it's fine if not accepted.))

The Alhambra Decree: Yes
What need have we of the Jews? They were afforded too many rights during the reign of the Moors in this land and those killers of our Lord Savior need to be dealt with accordingly. Expel them and be done with it.

Extraordinary Court: No
What shall happen after such a court is created? Might they then bring supposed judgement against you, my king, if they find that you hold too much power as well? This would be a dangerous path to venture down. The local men who have claimed to hold "too much power" are merely shaping their lands to best suit the needs of the greater good.

Advancement of Religion Act: No

((Private - King Ferran II))

To His noble and honourable Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of the Crowns of Aragon and Naples, Protector of the Greeks
An urgent response to the recent matters at court:

With all due respect to Cardinal de Vascona, I oppose, resist, protest and disagree with his proposal of expelling the Hebrews from the Kingdom of Aragon. I do not see it as a pious move. The Jews have co-existed aside Christians for centuries. The Spanish Jews, the Sephardim, have developed a magnificent culture under the Islamic rule, and are most efficient in helping our economy with their experience in trading and banking. We should also not forget that we believe and worship the same God and that Jesus was a Jew himself. That said, I do not oppose the activity of the Inquisition against the crypto-Jews.

On other religious matters, I oppose limiting the reading of the Holy Bible to nobles and clergy only. The words of Jesus should be known by all people, and everyone should have the opportunity to read the book that he attempts to follow.
I do support however disallowing newer translations to the bible.

I also oppose the formations of an "Extraordinary Court". It takes away the rights of nobles to judge or oversee judgement in their counties.

P.S. LL.

Signed and Sealed
by
General d'Exèrcit Sebastián de Loarre
Comte de Barcelona i Baró de Loarre

((Landed Noble, General))
c4bLHa4.png

(( I oppose the Alhambra Decree
I oppose the Extraordinary Court
I support the De Heretico Comburendo Act
I oppose the Advancement of Religion Act))

What shall happen after such a court is created? Might they then bring supposed judgement against you, my king, if they find that you hold too much power as well? This would be a dangerous path to venture down. The local men who have claimed to hold "too much power" are merely shaping their lands to best suit the needs of the greater good.

This is absurd! The court shall be composed of his majesty's council, who serve at his majesty's pleasure.
Nobody is judged to have "too much power" however powerful individuals are not above his majesty's laws. Are you suggesting criminals should be let off simply because they posses the power to warp local justice systems?

The Alhambra Decree: Si
Extraordinary Court: Si
De Heretico Comburendo Act: Si
Advancement of Religion Act: Si

If the uneducated are allowed to read the Bible then they will get dangerous ideas and will be able to be easily swayed by the nobility to heresy. Only Church officials can correctly interpret and preach the holy words in the book and lead their flock.

-Cardinal de Vascona

[Clergy; Cardinal]

My King

My votes go as follows:

Why should we want to expel the Jews? Surely, they don't use our churches and they are a completely different religious community, but they've always been our friends. Remember the times long gone since when they even gave money to the crown. Plus, they're definitely boosting our income since lots of them are talented merchants.

Extraordinary Court: No
While I believe it to be a good idea to try to limit the powers of those rising too strong, both counts and criminals, doing this by a tribunal of other nobles seems like a... questionable idea. Especially since the accused could just bribe his way to freedom.

Why would anyone even want to get their hands on a bible not written in the one true language it was written in?

Advancement of Religion Act: Yes
With our harsh end to the First Inquisition, this act seems like a good way to get started again. Plus, Cardinal de Vascona's sight on the matter truly is... erm, true.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza

((Did you miss my request on the Marshall's position or did you ignore it intentionally? :confused:))

((Did you miss my request on the Marshall's position or did you ignore it intentionally? :confused:))

((I actually missed it entirely. My bad. :p Remind me after the next update and you can have the position.))

I see many statements being made that claim that the Jews contribute to our culture, that they are our friends, and that they produce wealth for the kingdom.

All these claims are lies. The Jews poison our culture and religion by corrupting its essence, they seek to murder Christians and kidnap their children at any chance, and they steal wealth from the crown and rob the peasantry by practicing usury.

-Cardinal de Vascona

The alhambra decree: no
Extraordinary court: no
De Heretico Comburendo
:no
Advancment of religion: no

~Carlos de Leon

I will never endorse the plans of the bloodthirsty Cardinal Vascona who claims he serves holy mother church while pursuing his own vindictive interests. Urging reform and preaching to the nobility on ursury while practicing simony is a bad example to servants of christ everywhere.

Also, may a put forward my name as Viceroy of Naples? As a Italian and 1/4th Neapolitan with deep interest in the affairs of Italy, I believe I could bring Naples into a closer relationship with Aragon while preserving its culture.
-Alfonso D'Este
((Can't bold words on a iPad))

Last edited:
I will never endorse the plans of the bloodthirsty Cardinal Vascona who claims he serves holy mother church while pursuing his own vindictive interests. Urging reform and preaching to the nobility on ursury while practicing simony is a bad example to servants of christ everywhere.
Also, may a put forward my name as Viceroy of Naples? As a Italian and 1/4th Neapolitan with deep interest in the affairs of Italy, I believe I could bring Naples into a closer relationship with Aragon while preserving its culture.
-Alfonso D'Este

I do not support the practice of simony, liar. I have always condemned such corruption.

-Cardinal de Vascona

-Alfonso D'Este
((Can't bold words on a iPad))

Xs93UHA.png

Very well, if you wish to serve as Viceroy of Naples, you may do so. May you ensure the Neapolitans prosper under my rule.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

This is absurd! The court shall be composed of his majesty's council, who serve at his majesty's pleasure.
Nobody is judged to have "too much power" however powerful individuals are not above his majesty's laws. Are you suggesting criminals should be let off simply because they posses the power to warp local justice systems?

My dear bishop, my statements were for the general court. I do however insist that when your petulance is given words again and you deign to address me, that you give me what due is mine in accordance with my position. Verily, I am the first Gobernador Real of this kingdom and have successfully overseen the pacification of the Melillan population. While you may be a man of the cloth and hold our king's purse strings, you most certainly shall remember my position in this realm. With all of that aside, your base naivete as to how the court will act is without actual merit as to how things actually are. What need have the realm of another court? The nobles have been entrusted to oversee their lands and peasants since the fall of Rome and I will not wish to see this new estate given precedence over nobles as to how they run their own holdings. While the recent uprisings may cause many to seek corrective measures, I see them as merely a culling of our more radical elements among the peasants. My only judges shall be the King and Christ. I will not let any other man tell me how to run my affairs.

(( :D ))

While I believe it to be a good idea to try to limit the powers of those rising too strong, both counts and criminals, doing this by a tribunal of other nobles seems like a... questionable idea. Especially since the accused could just bribe his way to freedom.

Count von Thun, the council is appointed directly by the King and serves him directly. I shall ignore your insult to myself, but are you trying to suggest that such esteemed individuals as Cardinal de Vascona, the noble Lord de Alvaro or the esteemed Herr Lübecker would consider financial incentives to abandon their morals? Indeed you yourself aspire to his majesty's council; do you perhaps not trust yourself when presented with a bribe? Or perhaps you do not trust his majesty's judgement in the people he appoints?
I must say if we really are beset by such moral laxity and incompetence, Aragon is truly doomed. Manuel shakes his head theatrically.

My dear bishop, my statements were for the general court. I do however insist that when your petulance is given words again and you deign to address me, that you give me what due is mine in accordance with my position. Verily, I am the first Gobernador Real of this kingdom and have successfully overseen the pacification of the Melillan population. While you may be a man of the cloth and hold our king's purse strings, you most certainly shall remember my position in this realm. With all of that aside, your base naivete as to how the court will act is without actual merit as to how things actually are. What need have the realm of another court? The nobles have been entrusted to oversee their lands and peasants since the fall of Rome and I will not wish to see this new estate given precedence over nobles as to how they run their own holdings. While the recent uprisings may cause many to seek corrective measures, I see them as merely a culling of our more radical elements among the peasants. My only judges shall be the King and Christ. I will not let any other man tell me how to run my affairs.

(( :D ))

My Dear Lord Governor, you must forgive my outburst. It is perhaps true; I lost myself for a moment when you levelled an accusation of treason at me. Manuel's tone drips with sarcasm. I, of course, hold you in the highest esteem. However, might I remind you that we approach the sixteenth century, not the twelfth. These peasants may seek his majesty's justice as surely as any noble, and the courts throughout the realm are there to ensure it. I sincerely hope you have not been unduly interfering with these courts in your jurisdiction? Whilst some allowance could surely be made for such occurrences in a new, heathen, rebellious province such as yours, acquiring redress against those who seek to warp his majesty's justice is what this court is for.

((ofc OOC, :) and love you both))

A warmth spread around Felipé. He had been in bed for quite some time. All because of the damn infection in the leg.
He was old to. Too old for this world. God was calling him. It was time to go.

((New character))

Name: Alesandre de Alvaro
Date of birth: 7th of august 1464
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholic

Born to Felipé de Alvaro and Ioanna Constantinides, Alesandre had a happy upbringing, playing, learning and fighting all day long.
One evening his family was attacked. His brother died by the hands of an assassin whilst trying to protect Alesandre. This was something that he would never forget, vowing to kill everyone who prayed on the weak. As such, he became a mercenary, just as his father and grandfather.
But when news of his fathers illnes reach him, he turned home and stayed by his fathers side until the very end.
And now, he inherited the county of Sassari.

sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My grace Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks,

My father passed away during the early hours. As I understand I inherit the county of Sassari from my father, and I will gladly continue to administer it in your name.

I am also on a mission to stop the injustices of the world and protect the weak, so I will do my best to administer the county, but I will have trouble to vote since the distance is vast and I travel often. But I will do my best.

Your loyal servant,

Alesandre de Alvaro, count of Sassari
Lux Tenebris Vincet

((I'll OOC vote this one:
De Heretico Comburendo Act: No
Advancement of Religion Act: No))

((So Felipé de Alvaro is now dead and his son, Alesandre de Alvaro has taken his place. I created him as a traveling mercenary since it's really hard to get access to a computer, since I'm up at six and train all day. So partly I'm not able to get time to follow up, and partly I'm just too damn tired and sleep like a rock as soon as my head hits the bed ;)
On a brighter note, I fired my first rounds from the AK5C yeasterday. It was really fun and I'm just saying that I fired a military rifle to everyone, so by now the whole world knows :p))

Last edited:
Much as i am saddened by the passing of such a man, i ask to assume the role of steward your grace.

Yours humbly, the Conte de Soneta

Much as i am saddened by the passing of such a man, i ask to assume the role of steward your grace.

Yours humbly, the Conte de Soneta

Xs93UHA.png

Since we have need of a Steward, I shall grant your request. I have also decided that Stefano von Thun ((@SirAlucard)) shall serve as Marshal, although he will not be required to draft a plan until our next session. ((I decided that there's no point making you wait for the position.)) I also wish to announce that I am forced to fire our Representative to Byzantium, Ioannes Kontostephanos. Perhaps he has been too caught up in Greek politics, but his responses have been lacking. While part of his job is indeed to keep the Greeks happy under our protection, he must also ensure that he reports back to me, which he has failed to do. I shall be seeking a replacement immediately.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks