• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private))
To Andrés Igliesa y maig y Niño
I have noticed that you have an unmarried older sister, who is around my age, well, I am still unmarried even at my advanced age, so would request an alliance bonded with marriage that would intertwine our two great families and create a lasting bond that could be beneficial to both of us.
Alonso de Porcelli

((Jean sends a private message to Ferran II))

Your Grace Ferran II de Trastámara,
I would to personally thank you for appointing me as one of your main generals. I may not be the greatest of generals, but I will faithfully serve you and the Trastámara dynasty as a whole until it becomes extinct. As celebration and just so all of the vassals of Aragon may get together to re-kindle their relationships, I suggest that we hold a grand hunt & feast in the capital.

- Jean Charles de Fidelle

((Jean sends a private message to Ferran II))

Your Grace Ferran II de Trastámara,
I would to personally thank you for appointing me as one of your main generals. I may not be the greatest of generals, but I will faithfully serve you and the Trastámara dynasty as a whole until it becomes extinct. As celebration and just so all of the vassals of Aragon may get together to re-kindle their relationships, I suggest that we hold a grand hunt & feast in the capital.

- Jean Charles de Fidelle

((Private letter to Jean Charles de Fidelle))

Xs93UHA.png

The loss of my brother, despite our differences, still pains me. I don't intend to hold any kind of celebration when I've barely had time to pay my respects. Perhaps in the days to come.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Dear lord Iglesia,

May I humbly request the hand of your eldest sister. I am a honest man and will be a asset to your family in the future.

-Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio.

I will gladly marry Sara to you. I shall leave the arrangements to you.

-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

The loss of my brother, despite our differences, still pains me. I don't intend to hold any kind of celebration when I've barely had time to pay my respects. Perhaps in the days to come.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Well, despite this, a few of my closest friends and aquiantances in court are holding a feast/hunt near the capital. Anyone willing to join is welcome.

((Private))

A feast during these times? When Aragon is at war, when the king had only recently passed away, and when false conversos and heathens threaten to poison the kingdom?

The cardinal shook his head in disgust and tisked. It was no wonder he spent so little time at court.

Dear Court of Aragon,

I am most pleased and humbled to announce the betrothal and upcoming marriage between me and Sara Iglesia y Maig y Niño, sister to Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño, the count of Baleares. I find great hope in the fact that such providence and love can flourish in such troubled times. Only recently was my father a beggar at court treated with scorn. I would be even more humbled and greatly honored if his eminence Cardinal Vascona would officiate the union. If not, at least give us the blessing of holy mother church.
Glory to God!
-Alfonso D'Este
The dowery of 50 ducats will be delivered at the reception lord Iglesia, and what a reception it will be! May all the court be invited to Palazzo D'Este in Tarragona!

Malta loomed on the horizon, a dirty white cliff in the distance. Valletta port was only one hour away now.

"Sir! We are nearing our target. Expect to be there within the hour!"
"Very good sailor. I will ready my things."

That was 5 years ago.

Juan Margolez Valentio was now a Man of 30 years, and a distinguished lieutenant of the Sovereign Order of the Knights of St. John. He had seen all that needs to be seen in the isles of Malta and had a reputation for having the eyes of an eagle. 5 years he had been in Malta, and what he saw disgusted him. The leaders of the Order were cravens, intent more on collecting money and eating food than removing the heathen scourge. They were content with the status quo, one which saw the followers of Christ woefully crushed by the Mohammedean plague. They were weak.

Juan Margolez Valentio despised weakness.

"Enrique, I tire of this place."
"This...place, sir?"
"Yes."
"This room?"
"No, Malta."
"You tire of Malta?"
"Yes, pack my ownings, I will bring this institution to Greece."

(( What situation is Rhodes and Cyprus in?"))

MelillaArms_zpsn2sicbhd.png

Your Royal Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks,

It has been long since I sent word from Melilla and to that I greatly apologize. Though, I suppose one such as yourself or our late king, would have let me know if my correspondence was lacking if not for the goods and money that continued to flow out of the port here. We have made great strides in my thirty years of governorship of this province. The Melillians see us as their rightful rulers, of course. Now, even moreso after the conquest of Fez to the south. The mountain Moslems will be most difficult to bring under control, but I have met with the governor of said province once or twice to help as I may can.

I write to have my son, now in his late 20's, be placed in court or among such service as you deem necessary for his advancement among the Aragonese. I fear his upbringing in this rugged place has filled him with ideas of what lies to the West of the Straits! I shudder at such prospects of what one may find whilst you sail too far west and breach God's gracious trust in us of our dominion of this most wholly world. Perhaps service in the royal navy would befit my boy Alfonso? I, of course, leave it to your grace to decide or dismiss as is your desire.

((I am now officially moving my characters to a more exploration trait whenever Edward dies off))

Your humble servant,

Gobernador Real Edward Torarella

((private))

It was a dark, stormy night. The clouds have gathered in the sky, as the sounds of thunder were heard. A small crowd of hooded people has gathered on the wet grass of the de Loarre cemetery in the Castle of Loarre. They were standing in front of one of many gravestones in the graveyard. This specific gravestone, unlike others, was very modest. "Lucrezia de Loarre" was the only thing written on it.

The earth under the grave was dug, exposing the coffin.

One of the figures, Marco, approached the grave and began praying:

"Blessed be thou, Lucrezia, Saviour of the World, for sanctifying us with the holy gift of the grotesque, Amen."
"Amen", the crowd echoed.

"Blessed be thou, Lucrezia, Saviour of the World, for beseeching your will upon us, and for enlightening us with the true way, Amen."
"Amen", the sound of the crowd merged with the sound of the thunders.

"Lucrezia, Lucrezia, our merciful gracious Saviour, who is slow to anger and plentiful of kindness and truth, who is keeping kindness unto thousands, forgiving and pardoning iniquity and transgression and sin; Be it your will that we may see you reborn in our limited time on Earth, Amen."
"Amen", the crowd replied as the coffin was opened.

It was empty.

Reactions:
Malta loomed on the horizon, a dirty white cliff in the distance. Valletta port was only one hour away now.

"Sir! We are nearing our target. Expect to be there within the hour!"
"Very good sailor. I will ready my things."

That was 5 years ago.

Juan Margolez Valentio was now a Man of 30 years, and a distinguished lieutenant of the Sovereign Order of the Knights of St. John. He had seen all that needs to be seen in the isles of Malta and had a reputation for having the eyes of an eagle. 5 years he had been in Malta, and what he saw disgusted him. The leaders of the Order were cravens, intent more on collecting money and eating food than removing the heathen scourge. They were content with the status quo, one which saw the followers of Christ woefully crushed by the Mohammedean plague. They were weak.

Juan Margolez Valentio despised weakness.

"Enrique, I tire of this place."
"This...place, sir?"
"Yes."
"This room?"
"No, Malta."
"You tire of Malta?"
"Yes, pack my ownings, I will bring this institution to Greece."

(( What situation is Rhodes and Cyprus in?"))

((They are both still around. Rhodes is allied with Venice and was recently caught trying to fabricate a claim on Athens. Cyprus has no allies, but its independence is guaranteed by the Mamluks of all nations.))

MelillaArms_zpsn2sicbhd.png

Your Royal Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks,

It has been long since I sent word from Melilla and to that I greatly apologize. Though, I suppose one such as yourself or our late king, would have let me know if my correspondence was lacking if not for the goods and money that continued to flow out of the port here. We have made great strides in my thirty years of governorship of this province. The Melillians see us as their rightful rulers, of course. Now, even moreso after the conquest of Fez to the south. The mountain Moslems will be most difficult to bring under control, but I have met with the governor of said province once or twice to help as I may can.

I write to have my son, now in his late 20's, be placed in court or among such service as you deem necessary for his advancement among the Aragonese. I fear his upbringing in this rugged place has filled him with ideas of what lies to the West of the Straits! I shudder at such prospects of what one may find whilst you sail too far west and breach God's gracious trust in us of our dominion of this most wholly world. Perhaps service in the royal navy would befit my boy Alfonso? I, of course, leave it to your grace to decide or dismiss as is your desire.

((I am now officially moving my characters to a more exploration trait whenever Edward dies off))

Your humble servant,

Gobernador Real Edward Torarella

Xs93UHA.png

Your son is free to join the navy as he sees fit and is welcome at court.

Your majesty,
While I understand that we cannot maintain more diplomatic relations, I would like to propose to you to present an Aragonse candidate for the Polish throne. If he would be elected it would greatly increase your families prestige, and influence that your house has. It would also be a great possibility for a future alliance if we will ever be able to maintain diplomatic relations. That is if our diplomats have nothing better to do. The candidate must be chosen by the Sejm and that can only be achieved by years of hard work to improve the image of the candidate, so our diplomats would have to be spend a lot of time in Poland-Lithuania. Of course the diplomat might be recalled at any time and continue his work when the time will be appropriate. If you think that this is a good idea I'll gladly present the Aragonse candidate to rest of the Polish nobility.
Marcin Bażyński,
diplomat

Etxeto-arms.gif

House Etxeto, C. 1400 - ?

Heads and notable members of House Etxeto:

Lord Sancho Maria Etxeto (1402 - 1455)
Duque Tomas Hortun Ximon Etxeto de Navarra (1428 - 1492)
Duque Bartolo Llorente Sancho Etxeto de Navarra (1451 - 1513)
Duque Tomas Maria Arias Etxeto de Navarra (1482 - 1536)
Duque Tomas Bartolo Ximon Etxeto de Navarra (1512 - 1555)
Duque Guillen Chorche Luys Etxeto de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya (1519 - 1592)

Duque Ximon Tomas Luys Etxeto de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo (1546 - 1624)
Senor Barros Ximon Hortun Etxeto (1568 - 1620)
Duque Tomas Barros Luys Etxeto de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo (1587 - 1667)
Senor Barros Tomas Ximon Etxeto (1614 - 1658)
Duque Guillen Barros Ximon Etxeto de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo, Conte de Burgos (1632 - 1735)
Senor Tomas Luys Guillen Etxeto (1620 - 1700)
Senor Tomas Luys Tomas Etxeto (1641 - 1712)
Duque Tomas Guillen Tomas Etxeto de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo, Conte de Burgos (1673 - 1755)
Gran Duque Sancho Bartolo Barros Etxeto de Etxeto, Duque de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo, y Conte de Burgos (1701 - 1783)
Gran Duque Ximon Luys Tomas Etxeto de Etxeto, Duque de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo, y Conte de Burgos (1783 - 1793)
Gran Duque Guillen Tomas Ximon Etxeto de Etxeto, Duque de Navarra, Conte de Vizcaya, Conte de Riojo, y Conte de Burgos (1793 - Present)

Last edited:
1482-1487 – Peace & Quiet?

The murder of Alfons VI was a shock to the kingdom, although perhaps not as much as it should be to some as talks of a feast spread through the kingdom while the body was still warm. Ferran, now King Ferran II, had not gotten on well with his brother at times, but Alfons did not deserve such a fate. He didn’t let it distract him from his duties though. One of his first acts as king was to order the construction of four regiments worth of artillery to be added to the army, as well as the beginning of replacing the mercenaries in the army. Extra infantry were recruited as well to bolster the army in Africa. Much to the King’s annoyance, he had to go over his Marshal’s head just to get it done. Marshal Carlos de Leon was stuck in his ways and believed that the army as it had been formed decades ago could still work. After a few choice words between the two, Ferran fired the Marshal and took up the position himself. ((Sorry about that @zenphoenix, but since you’re going away for a while and didn’t update the plan, I had to take action.))

At the end of November of 1482, the Inquisitor that had been hired by the Crown died under mysterious circumstances. With his loss, the Inquisition took a hard hit. He had been instrumental in converting heretics and heathens, and without him it seemed an impossible task. Not wanting to waste money throwing it away for nothing, Ferran cancelled all funding to the Inquisition’s efforts in Athens until such a time as any real results could be accomplished.

As per Treasurer Manuel de Vivar y Sastre’s plan, a theologian was found to take his place. His replacement, a pious man known as Zaydan Sellami, took a strict approach to religion. He believed that matters of faith should be handled solely by the clergy and nobles, while the lower class be forbidden to read the bible. Ferran did his best not to voice his opinion on the matter, although it was clear that the King did not approve of the man or his ideas.

Yet another Castilian spy was caught at the end of the year, this time in Barcelona. It was clear that the Castilians wanted a conflict, but yet they refused to act.

In April of 1483, Hungary finally caved and accepted a peace with France, cutting all ties with England and paying a hefty indemnity. This wonderful news was met with the unfortunate one of England signing an alliance with Castile. It seemed that both had decided that they could work together against their mutual enemies. The beast that was Castile loomed overhead, patiently growing and waiting. Knowing that Aragon would need every man it could get for the army, Ferran increased recruitment efforts in Tarragona, Barcelona, and Teruel.

With the diplomatic scene quite quiet at the moment, Ferran granted Diplomat Marcin Bażyński permission to return to Poland and campaign for Ferran’s distant cousin, Henryk de Trastámara, to be the next king of Poland. The elective monarchy of Poland seemed a strange system, but if it put a Trastámara on the throne, how could the King complain?

A year dragged on without much in the way of major events. Then finally in April of 1484, England settled a peace. France took most of England’s continental provinces and forced it to give up its Irish vassal. Of most importance to Aragon was the French’s insistence that the alliance with Castile be broken. That surely benefited Aragon in the long run.

The Greeks sent yet another marriage proposal in May of 1484, this time to Ferran’s cousin Henryk. They must have learned of the Crown’s efforts to make him king of Poland and pounced on the opportunity. Ferran was skeptical of the constant attempts by the Greeks to tie themselves into the Trastámara line, but he still allowed the marriage to go ahead.

A new trend started to take place in Aragon. Guilds had traditionally controlled various trades throughout the kingdom, monopolizing the production of specific goods. Now individuals, in an attempt to bypass these restrictions, were opening their own workshops and producing goods independent of the guilds. This was already paying off as production of wool-based goods skyrocketed.

It was well known that King Ferran did not care for religious affairs. Despite this, he always listened to sage advice of Cardinal Fernando de Vascona. The man was practically an institution within himself, having served Aragon for almost four decades. While always advocating for a strong Church presence throughout Aragon, he also took efforts to strengthen the king’s power. He rightly saw that the king was most capable of carrying out religious policies in the kingdom, with the Church having limited scope outside the Papal State. Despite Ferran’s somewhat cynical view on religion, the Cardinal still pushed for greater power for the king. This antagonized some of the nobles, especially the minor ones who lived in counties controlled by King Ferran. They banded together and rose up to stop this centralization effort. King Ferran crushed the rebellions without mercy. The traitors were stretched on the rack and then hanged in a public execution to show what happened to those who disobeyed the King or his trusted advisors.

With the focus on naval strength and the navy at its height, shipyards were being built across the kingdom. Despite this, the King ordered the main fleet be mothballed until war seemed imminent. The kingdom had to recover its finances for a time. Perhaps one day it would do as well as Lucca, who had just managed to conquer Mantua.

This soon proved impossible as it was discovered that Orthodox rebels had risen up in Greece and had already taken Macedonia and Edirne, and were in the process of besieging Constantinople. Ferran, feeling that it was his duty as Protector of the Greeks to aid Byzantium, ordered the fleet to be taken out of the mothballs and the armies in Valencia and Fez to be shipped to Greece.

In July of 1485, the combined forces of the Valencian and Athenian armies banded together under General Luigi Castelozzi’s command. Some Orthodox rebels had split off and gone after Skopje. With superior numbers, the Aragonese troops had no problem dispatching the rebels. Skopje was quickly reclaimed and the armies moved into Macedonia and Edirne. General Castelozzi focused on reclaiming Macedonia, while General Stefano von Thun led the siege on Edirne until General Sebastián de Loarre arrived from Africa to take over. Macedonia fell first and the three armies combined in Edirne.

It was a race to see who could take their province first. The Aragonese army did their best to reclaim Edirne, but Constantinople could not hold out. It fell to the rebels, but at least now the rebels had nowhere to go but back to Edirne or to stay in Constantinople. The rebels, fearing the inevitable Aragonese attack and wanting to return the Greeks to the Orthodox faith, chose the former. They launched an attack on Edirne, a dangerous attack. This gave the Aragonese the opportunity to test out their new artillery. Entire waves of infantry were plowed down by artillery fire. With the enemy eliminated, the armies split to liberate Constantinople and Edirne.

With the great success of artillery, Ferran recruited one Didac Gil de Biedma, a supposed expert of the new weapons. He spent plenty of time training troops in their use, greatly boosting their morale as they learned to use these newfangled cannons.

A woman who dubbed herself Catherine of Aragon presented herself at court as a potential diplomat for the Crown. Admittedly, Ferran was not bothered that she was a woman, although many at court thought it scandalous that a woman was doing men’s work. Ferran was more off-put by the woman’s proposed pay and that her resume was composed entirely of diplomatic efforts made with the hated English. The King demanded she leave court, not wanting an English-lover working for him at court, no matter their gender.

Edirne was liberated in late 1486 and the army under the command of General Castelozzi was ordered back to Valencia. Constantinople had yet to fall. Then a French envoy arrived at court. He brought word that France had started a war with Brittany and requested Aragon’s help. Burgundy and Savoy had already come to Brittany’s aid. With Savoy plagued by rebels, it seemed unlikely that either Brittany or Burgundy could prove a threat. Nevertheless, Ferran decided it was best to consult his court on the matter. Everyone was so tired of war and deserved a say.

((Here comes the spam!))

Xs93UHA.png

Presenting His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks.

I had hoped that the last few years would be peaceful, and perhaps they have been in part. The remaining Orthodox holdouts in Greece have been quite the pain, but it is our duty to look out for our Greek brethren, for we would be pathetic protectors if we let them succumb to rebels. Now we have the French asking us to join another war. I suspect this one to be even easier than the English one, since France can reach all its opponents. I suggest we aid them, if only minimally. I shall consult you all later on that. Our new theologian has also presented me with some religious laws he wants enforced, but those will have to be debated amongst us as well. I’m not sure of their use, but I’m not the religious expert. For now, let us enjoy each other’s company. Perhaps now would be a good time for a feast.

((Okay, same drill as always. All the ministers have until Wednesday at 9am PST to post their plans or state that they’re keeping them the same. I know that we have some votes to conduct, but those shall wait until after that deadline. Feel free to propose any legislation before the deadline too.

Also, I’m going to start warning people once their characters hit 80 that they might want to consider moving onto a new character, otherwise I will have to intervene and kill them myself at 100. At the moment only @Attalus and @Tzuf23 have characters over 80, but there are a few in their 70s. Remember to keep your character’s age in mind.))

Reactions:
Your Grace,

It is my most humble opinion that we answer the Frence call to arms. They are valuable allies and should not be lost under any circumstances. Another opinion I have is less imminent. I suggest a war on Venice over Corfu and Negroponte. These small holdings have great strategic power and large amounts of potential when it comes to trade. Since the nation tires of war we should hold off on these grand dreams. Also, I seek to test the waters on the topic of northern Italy. Will your highness follow your brother or change the status quo in Italian policy? This issue is even more urgent to me and Aragon's trade power with the conquest of my family's duchy Mantua. As Lucca grows our market shrinks. It is only by luck my barony was preserved.
Again I offer my most energetic and humble services to the crown. Let me be your sword and shield.
-Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello Di San Giorgio and count of Menorca, rightful Duke of Modena, Etc..

Sometimes Cardinal de Vascona felt there was so much sin it was difficult to function.

The Greeks seemed to be rejecting the warm embrace of the Mother Church. They would have to be shown the light, even if by force. Meanwhile, the rebellions and loss of the Vice-Inquisitor caused the Inquisition in Greece to come to a screeching halt. All of the cardinal's work may go to waste.

The nobles continued to fritter away at their frivolous balls as the pious peasantry toiled and prayed. Fernando detested those vain families that constantly humiliated his father. It pleased him to put them in their place, even though it caused some bloodshed. It was a necessary sacrifice, however, as only the crown could be trusted with such delicate religious matters.

The Church itself continued to roll down the wrong path as it sunk increasing amounts of funds into decadent artwork and handed more and more positions to powerful Italian families. There was even a rumor going around the College that Pope Clemens wanted to build a spectacular new cathedral in Rome by taxing the peasantry around Europe, though the pope had not mentioned it at any meeting. Cardinal de Vascona hoped these rumors were false, as it would be a crime to rob the peasantry when they should be saving their souls.

Fernando felt that he was living in dark times. He was now an old man and was not even sure he would live to see his work completed. However, one flash of brightness was Father Sellami, the new court theologian at Valencia. The cardinal and he shared a great many viewpoints and worked well together. De Vascona would have preferred that the Vice Inquisitor had not perished, but Father Sellami was a worthy replacement. The new theologian had many plans that the cardinal agreed with that he was about to propose to the court. Fernando also had plans, concerning the Jews, that he wished to propose to court. He was certain they would prove controversial and was not even sure if the king would accept them. But they were completely necessary from his point of view.

The soul of Aragon had to be purified. Cardinal de Vascona did not have much time left...

((court chaplain plan should remain the same))

Your Majesty, Ferran II de Trastàmara, King of Aragon, Naples, Navarra, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Protector of the Greeks, [titles go on to a third of the way down the page]:

My plan will remain the same as always. Only a couple of years of peace and France attempts to drag us into another war? My opinion will come later, but on to happier matters. My wife has begotten me a son, Ferdinand Xaver (now 5), and a daughter, Luzia (3). A second son is on the way.

Deus Vult!
Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Grandmaster and Admiral

Your Grace,

It is my most humble opinion that we answer the Frence call to arms. They are valuable allies and should not be lost under any circumstances. Another opinion I have is less imminent. I suggest a war on Venice over Corfu and Negroponte. These small holdings have great strategic power and large amounts of potential when it comes to trade. Since the nation tires of war we should hold off on these grand dreams. Also, I seek to test the waters on the topic of northern Italy. Will your highness follow your brother or change the status quo in Italian policy? This issue is even more urgent to me and Aragon's trade power with the conquest of my family's duchy Mantua. As Lucca grows our market shrinks. It is only by luck my barony was preserved.
Again I offer my most energetic and humble services to the crown. Let me be your sword and shield.
-Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello Di San Giorgio and count of Menorca, rightful Duke of Modena, Etc..

Xs93UHA.png

As I have expressed before, I will not interfere in northern Italy as long as the Emperor watches over them. It is unwise to dabble in the Holy Roman Empire. I will not consider any intervention in the region until either the Emperor withdraws his protection or our position in Italy is better solidified. ((AKA when Italy leaves the HRE and we inherit Naples.))

Your Grace,

I do not wish to be rude but your claim to Mantua or the state of your barony are quite irrelevant when the kingdom is fighting a war to the death against heathenism and heresy and saving the soul of Europe. I wish the court would stop badgering His Majesty about immoral Italian conquests.

((Private))

De Vascona rolls his eyes and whispers to himself

"Foolish nobles"

Reactions: