• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Name: Alonso de Porcelli
Date of Birth: 1443
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholicism
Bio: Alonso is a gregarious noble from a branch of a large Sicilian house, he however is very inexperienced, and eager to serve his king and climb the ladder to gain greater power. His house's power has diminished under his decadent reclusive father which is probably the cause for his drive and determination to gain power. (( can I have Almeria as my holding ))

Reactions:
(( I having problems uploading a pdf file that has my CoA and a new law. How do i do that? It just sits there loading. Sorry to bother ya'll))

1477-1482 - Vengeance

Going into 1477, King Alfons VI expected some peace and quiet for a few years, since he had no plans for any wars in the immediate future. The French spoiled that plan early on when they sent a call to arms to Aragon in a war against England. The island nation only had Savoy, Hungary, and an Irish vassal backing them, none of which were a threat to Aragon. Alfons accepted the call to arms, knowing that his kingdom’s contribution would be minimal. Men were sent to man the fort in Girona, since the northern border would not be as secure as it usually was.

With war declared, General Lino Adrià María de Agramunt led his army of 8,000 men north to Labourd and Admiral Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker sailed for Hungary’s coastline to keep them from trying to ship troops elsewhere in Europe. Alfons didn’t want them moving their armies over water in Aragonese land.

On the way to Hungary, Admiral Lübecker encountered Savoy’s fleet, which was severely outnumbered. Their entire navy was wiped out in a week and the admiral continued on his way as though the battle had been merely a distraction.

France reached Labourd first, and with over 17 regiments in the province, General de Agramunt decided to take care of Gascogne instead. It only took a month to occupy the province. Since the province rightfully belonged to France, control of the province was transferred to Aragon’s French ally. Speaking of provinces rightfully belonging to someone, the administration in Fez had finally been set up. Aragon was there to stay now.

News reached Aragon in May that Tuscany had joined the war alongside France, further setting the odds against England and Co. Despite this, Scotland was not doing so well. Their army was in disarray and an English army three times their size was besieging their capital. With the English navy undoubtedly patrolling the area, there would be no reinforcements coming their way.

The French were handling Labourd well enough, so Alfons decided it was best to aid France elsewhere. General de Agramunt and his army were ordered over to Savoy to help take them out of the war. It was also around this time that a Castilian spy was discovered in Granada attempting to fabricate claims on the province. Castile continued to poke and prod at Aragon, but had yet to make a move. Alfons was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Was Castile ever going to declare war?

In August of 1477, the Inquisition had one of its first major successes against the heathens. After laborious conversion efforts, and quite a few torture methods, the majority of Almeria had accepted the true faith. With the province back under the sway of the holy Church, the Inquisition turned its eyes to Granada, where its headquarters were stationed. Once they were converted, Iberia would be free of heathens at last. In recognition of the Inquisition’s success, the Pope issued a mandate to the Aragonese Crown. From now on the Pope fully endorsed all efforts made by the kingdom to bring heretics and heathens into the holy Church, even if that required war to do so. With permission to launch crusades on neighbouring heretics and heathens, Aragon could truly spread the true faith, and they would take any efforts they could to do so. Deus Vult!

Over in Savoy, de Agramunt dispatched a single Savoyard regiment, captured Montferrat, and then eliminated another two regiments in Wallis and captured the province, an accomplishment barely worth mentioning as part of his illustrious military career. Even his capture of Vaud was ignored, mostly because the provinces were reclaimed almost immediately after with the fort in Savoie still free. In fact, Alfons was ignoring most of what was going on in Savoy. Ignorance is bliss. ((This is now my least favourite event. How often does this god damn thing fire?)) Of more interest was the Hungarian army that had marched across northern Italy to reach France, only to be caught by the French army. Things did not end well for them.

With the success of the Inquisition and the zealous reputation of Aragon, many Catholic rulers requested that they pray with the king of such a holy kingdom. Frankly, Alfons VI was quite annoyed by all these requests to pray when he just wanted to get on with whatever negotiations they were supposed to be having. The King had nothing wrong with strong faith, but this was too much for him. When some unknown ruler from a tiny German state visited him and requested to pray with him, Alfons VI quite bluntly told him that he was not here to satisfy people’s piety. He wouldn’t tolerate this annoying behaviour any more.

With Fez now accepting Aragonese rule a bit more than before, Alfons arranged for a program to boost the productive output of the province. Valuable cloth was produced in Fez and trade from Africa came through the province. It paid to improve the region, especially since it was required as part of the Artisan Support Act anyway.

August of 1478 brought a surprise as word spread that a Hungarian army was marching straight through Aragon. It was feared that they would attack the capital, but Alfons refused to evacuate like his father had done before. It did not matter in the end as the army marched straight into Castile. It was clear that it was heading for Granada. But why there? Did they somehow know of the small force in the province? With the knowledge of the Hungarians on the way, the army in Granada was ordered to sneak away into Portugal.

Meanwhile, the army under General de Agramunt faced off against a Hungarian army that had sneaked into Nice. The Hungarians were no match for the general. After his successful battle in Savoyard territory, a peace was signed between France and Savoy. Savoy cut ties with England and paid an indemnity. With Savoy out of the war, de Agramunt could return home with his army and remove the Hungarians who were besieging Granada. The army that had been stationed in Granada was ordered through Castile from Portugal to meet up in Aragon proper with de Agramunt.

1478 brought a welcome surprise as Princess Helene was pregnant again. Like before, Prince Ferran shunned her at the news. Even when she finally gave birth, Ferran refused to be there. Only after he learned that the child was a boy did he start paying attention to his wife. He started lavishing her with gifts and spending his spare time with her. Oddly enough, he did not seem overly fond of the boy and did not spend much time with him. Whenever Helene was seen carrying the child around the palace, it was always Alfons at her side and not Ferran. No one openly questioned why.

Once the army had returned to Aragon, a plan was set in motion. The fleet was recalled so that it could transport General Sebastián de Loarre and his army in Fez over the strait. The two armies in Iberia were ordered down to Granada first to engage the enemy, with the forces in North Africa arriving later to provide further aid. At least that was the plan. Before they could arrive, the Hungarians made the odd choice of abandoning the siege and fleeing west. Once de Agramunt was in Granada, the Hungarian army turned back around for an attack. The Hungarians had abandoned a defensive position to launch a much weaker offensive. No one knew why. Once the enemy was committed, the reinforcements were sent. The second army arrived a few days later, and de Loarre arrived at the end in time to crush the enemy’s flank. General de Agramunt ordered a pursuit and crushed the enemy before they could escape any further. This was a major success, but did not help against England. Scotland took the brunt of their aggression and was forced to cede their southern provinces to England.

After constant wars throughout Europe and North Africa, the importance on military advancement had been stretched. Aragon had to ensure its men were outfitted with the best weapons available. 1479 brought a new development to warfare. Artillery, a type of large mobile gun, was developed to be used in battle. The initial models were fairly basic, but could be used to devastating effect in a siege or against enemies. Aragon didn’t have all the infrastructure in place to build any yet, but soon they could be put in every army. Copper production was already increasing as construction went underway of these new weapons. Perhaps they could be used against the heathens of North Africa in Tlemcen.

Plans were put in place to initiate the Centres of Drafting Act. Recruitment centres and other military establishments were first established in the capital. As the years progressed, similar efforts were taken in Alicante and Tarragona. Similar efforts were taken in Navarra to boost the province’s production in accordance with the Artisan’s Support Act. With it being the only port in the area, it was of prime importance.

A Venetian spy was caught in Athens in March of 1479. When interrogated, the spy revealed it was in retaliation for potential plans to take Negroponte. Alfons cursed that the plans had gotten out and spent an exceptionally long time torturing the spy as a result. The corpse was unrecognizable after he was done.

In September of 1479, the Aragonese navy sailed back to Hungary and was attacked by the Hungarians, a foolish mistake on their part. Many wondered why they had made such an aggressive move, only for it to be revealed that England had snuck their navy into the Mediterranean and was attempting a naval invasion of Naples. When Alfons received the news, he was stunned. No one had expected such a move. Either way, the Hungarian navy was sent to the bottom of the sea and the navy moved on to England’s navy next. Aragon had both the numbers and galleys, something England lacked. After a month-long battle, Admiral Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker pulled off a remarkable victory. The entire English navy was sunk in a single battle, with only eight Aragonese ships lost. Aragon’s naval dominance was supreme. The construction of the lost ships was immediately ordered back at home.

At this time, Italian artists were becoming quite prominent the world over. They were crafting amazing works of arts, and the patrons of these artists usually shared their prestige. Alfons VI wanted in on this. He offered a wealthy sum to a prominent Florentine artist to support his work. Scholars were also drawn to Aragon from Italy. Iovianus Pontanus was one of such scholars. He wrote many great works that would be known throughout Europe. He claimed that the Aragonese people inspired him, something that was a proud moment for the people of the kingdom.

Speaking of Italy, Lucca made a surprising victory against Milan. This brought attention to the Hungarian army in Tuscany. The army was just too big for any of the Aragonese armies to deal with. Tuscany would ideally handle it itself. Much to the surprise of almost everyone, once all of England’s continental provinces were captured, the French, Tuscan, and Neapolitan armies marched right past the Hungarian army in Tuscany and headed straight for Hungary. Apparently occupying the enemy land was more important than taking out their army. Alfons VI questioned that decision, but felt that Aragon didn’t need to get involved in that front.

Two surprising developments occurred in 1480. First was the birth of a daughter to Princess Helene. Unlike the boy born two years earlier, Ferran fawned over his daughter and gave her his full attention. No one was sure why he selectively paid attention to one child over the other. The second development was that a minor noble was discovered to have been collaborating with the Moroccans. Alfons had him promptly dragged off to the dungeon and tortured. After he had beaten everything he needed out of the man, he made a public example of him by having him executed for everyone to see. Treason would be met with death.

The choice to focus on sieges instead of attacking Hungary’s army proved a mistake as Tuscany left the war after paying an indemnity to England. On the bright side, the Inquisition achieved a momentous victory when they managed to convert Granada. The Reconquista was complete, and it was Aragon that achieved it. The focus now would be placed on the heretics in Athens. The Pope was not entirely pleased that the so-called end of the Schism had failed to convince the people of Greece to convert. That would take some time and effort.

With Tuscany out of the war, Hungary moved onto a new target: Naples. The Hungarian army marched through the PapalState and started besieging Napoli. This was something that could not be allowed. The navy had been set to blockade London, but was recalled home. A galley was lost on the way back due to dangerous waters of the Atlantic ((or rather me not realizing that I received naval attrition only one sea zone away from France’s coast)). Once the navy returned, it began shipping armies over to Naples. The armies stationed in Valencia, Granada, and Athens were called to Naples. General de Agramunt led the charge, despite the presence of General Luigi Castelozzi. In a valiant attempt to liberate the Neapolitan capital from siege, de Agramunt threw himself into the battle. He led a brutal offensive that crushed the Hungarian defence. Just when the enemy was about to break, he took a pike stab to the chest. He did not live to see the end of the battle, where General Castelozzi, despite the loss of his rival in battle, completed what de Agramunt had started and broke the Hungarians against the walls of Napoli. They would not be returning to Hungary. With the threat gone, General Castelozzi personally had de Agramunt’s body sent back to Alicante, where King Alfons VI arranged for an extravagant state funeral.

After the Battle of Napoli, it was discovered that the Knights were snooping around Athens, trying to find evidence that the holy order had rights to the province. This undoubtedly caused tensions to rise, just as when another Austrian Emperor was crowned.

Princess Helene gave birth to yet another son in 1482. Prince Ferran was present at the birth this time and joyously celebrated the birth of his son. Despite the joy at the birth of another child, he remained quite cold towards the first child. He was even colder towards Alfons. The two were not on speaking terms and avoided each other.

This was all outshined when tragedy struck in October of 1482. In the dark of night, a cloaked figure snuck into the palace and was able to get into the King’s chambers undetected. Before anyone detected him, it was already too late. King Alfons VI was no more, stabbed to death in his sleep. Despite his stealthy entrance, the murderer did not escape. Prince Ferran, or rather King Ferran II, personally tortured the assassin himself, putting even Alfons’s acts to shame. Soon he had an identity and motive. The assailant was Alfonso, Ferran the Bastard’s eldest son. His father had died under suspicious circumstances, which the man blamed on Alfons VI. Now he had killed the King, who he deemed responsible. Ferran, in anger at the sudden death of his brother, went too far with his torture and broke the poor man’s spine on the rack, killing him instantly. His brother had been avenged and now he was king. He would not make the same mistake as his brother and allow his rule to be threatened.

((Picture spam time! Ignore the heir, since I haven’t had a chance to edit him yet.))

Xs93UHA.png

Presenting His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks. ((Cynical, Humble, Cruel))

It is unfortunate that I must ascend to the throne under such dire circumstances. I never expected my brother to be murdered, but at least his murderer has been dealt with. I have also received word from Austria that they shall stop harbouring the family of Ferran the Bastard in light of recent events. I am thankful of that at least.

Regardless, we must continue on. The war with England is not over, but will surely finish soon with the English lacking a navy and the French winning handily. As for matters of state, I must decide upon a new council. I have heard word from the previous Marshal and Steward that they are indisposed for some time, so I will be assuming their roles for now. I shall give our Treasurer ((@Keinwyn)) a second chance after his last plan failed. I also wish to offer Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker ((@wzhang29)) either the position of Grandmaster or Grand Admiral if he will take either position. He deserves a position for his fantastic victories at sea. If anyone wishes to claim whatever position that our admiral does not want, they are free to do so. We also require another general, now that the Great de Agramunt has left this mortal coil. All other positions shall remain the same or fall under my jurisdiction for now. I thank you all for serving your kingdom and king so well.

((As you can see, we have a new king. I will give all ministers until Monday at 12pm PST to propose a plan. Also I was wondering what to do with the national focus. It conveniently was able to change when our last king died, but not this time. I’m wondering if I should be able to change it whenever a king dies. What does everyone think about that? Consider it an unofficial vote.))

((As I'm still around for the weekend, I'll just propose one more plan.))

Your Highness,

I offer my condolences. Your father was a great man, and that traitorous bastard's family will be hunted down at all costs. You have my word.

I shall continue using my previous plan, as always.

Your loyal subject,
~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

((As I'm still around for the weekend, I'll just propose one more plan.))

Your Highness,

I offer my condolences. Your father was a great man, and that traitorous bastard's family will be hunted down at all costs. You have my word.

I shall continue using my previous plan, as always.

Your loyal subject,
~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

Xs93UHA.png

It would probably be best if you update your plan. With the invention of these artillery, we should integrate them into our army. If you would like, I can handle the recruitment of new regiments of artillery and add them to our army with a new composition of three infantry to every one cavalry and artillery regiment.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

At court.

Despite gaining the support of our Lord Marshal, my plans for military spending split the court. I would therefore like to ask the input of our generals, and marshal on this matter.

Your Majesty,
I know that my words don't mean much, but I share your sorrow after the loss of your brother. But your country needs you. I know that you might find it hard to trust me, since I'm a foreigner, but if you could send me on some important diplomatic missions I could prove to you that I mean no harm to you and your nation. I would also like to suggest the possible war with Serbia. Aragon is know for it's deeds for the Catholic church and while Greece is slowly being converted, rest of the Balkans continue to follow the Orthodox church. I think we should bring them back into care of the Bishop of Rome. This would also anger the Venetians greatly because as it is knows they have ambitions to expand into Serbia and other Balkan countries.
Marcin Bażyński,
diplomat

((OOC vote: Do not reset focus after monarch death.))

Last edited:
Your Grace,

May I first say that I am sorry for your loss. The loss of a relative is always a crippling one. I have also experienced loss in the last year. My father Giuliano Marco D'Este, rightful Duke of Modena and Prior of the Leyre was killed by Hungarian mercenary raiders in Tuscany while trying to negotiate a settlement in the case of Modenese independence. His body was stripped of clothes and toyed with by the Magyar barbarians. The death of my father offers a new chapter in the D'Este familiy's history. I would like to serve as page or squire in your court and possible work my way up to count. Eventually I will avenge my father and reclaim Modena. For now I will offer you my undying humble service.
Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio

Xs93UHA.png

It would probably be best if you update your plan. With the invention of these artillery, we should integrate them into our army. If you would like, I can handle the recruitment of new regiments of artillery and add them to our army with a new composition of three infantry to every one cavalry and artillery regiment.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks
Your Majesty,

That would be acceptable. However, should we have enough manpower and funds, I would advise a ratio of 1:1:1, that is, 1 infantry:1 cavalry:1 artillery. That would be most effective.

~Carlos de Leon

Last edited:
Cardinal de Vascona sighed as he read the news pertaining to the war. So many deaths, and for what? What a foolish waste of life. Why must Christian kings continually war with each other?

The war had caused tension in the Vatican for the last few years since the pope was Hungarian. For once, Cardinal de Vascona found himself allying with the French cardinals which unfortunately put a damper on his reforming plans. His Holiness was cold to both Aragonese cardinals but he still rewarded Aragon's piety by giving permission to King Alfons to declare war against any heathen nation. Fernando prayed the war would end soon so affairs in Rome could return to normal.

The cardinal was very pleased that the Inquisition had proven to be a great success, however, despite the naval warfare that posed difficulties on Fernando's travel between Rome and Aragon. The stain of Mohammedanism had been removed from Iberia under his watch and the Reconquista was complete. Aragon and King Alfons would receive eternal glory for this momentous achievement. It was a messy process but Fernando regretted nothing, for he was merely an agent of the Lord and would do anything to impose His will. Now all that remained was to turn the Greeks toward Rome and to unmask the remaining false conversos in Aragon. Once the war ended he would be able to oversee more interrogations and organize the efforts in Aragon. De Vascona only wished King Alfons open his heart to the pious kings wishing to pray with him. The king was the Lord's chosen vessel, however, and it was best not to question the mysterious ways in which He works.

Fernando saw a scroll from with the Aragonese coat of arms at the bottom of his pile of letters. The foolish priest should have put it on top! No matter, he would read it now. He only hoped the message would not bode ill-tidings.

Within a few moments Fernando's heart sunk. For the third time in his life, he received the news of the death of a king. He was getting too old for this...

9skqvwl.png

To His Majesty, King Ferran II of Aragon and Naples, Protector of the Greeks,
Your majesty, I am deeply sorry for your loss. To see another king fall grieves my heart. The Bastard and all his progeny shall rot in Hell for this horrendous act.

May you continue the legacy of your brother as we continue to fight against heresy and heathenism. You and your family shall always be in my prayers.

Your humble servant,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
BIshop of Pirineo

((Keep court chaplain plan the same
Don't change the national focus for each royal death))

Your Grace Ferran II de Trastámara,
My most sincere condolences and blessings go out to your brother and the now-widowed Queen. As you seem to be wanting a new general as of now, I would like to humbly offer my services in order to fully show my undying loyalty to this proud, noble and rich country. Also, if possible, is my second son Lluís (who is 12 years of age) elligible to serve in the La Guardia Real? If so, it would truly carry on the family tradition.

Long live the new king!

- Jean Charles de Fidèlle

Your Majesty, Ferran II de Trastàmara, King of Aragon, Naples, Navarra, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Protector of the Greeks, [titles go on to a third of the way down the page]:

Definitely the worst moment for the king to pass. I offer my condolences to you.

But seriously. Me, on the court? I am rather surprised at this statement. After much deliberation on the sea, I have decided on the position of Grandmaster. However, I feel that the past Grandmaster's plan is adequate for such a situation.

With regards,

Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Admiral, Merchant

Your Majesty,
I know that my words don't mean much, but I share your sorrow after the loss of your brother. But your country needs you. I know that you might find it hard to trust me, since I'm a foreigner, but if you could send me on some important diplomatic missions I could prove to you that I mean no harm to you and your nation. I would also like to suggest the possible war with Serbia. Aragon is know for it's deeds for the Catholic church and while Greece is slowly being converted, rest of the Balkans continue to follow the Orthodox church. I think we should bring them back into care of the Bishop of Rome. This would also anger the Venetians greatly because as it is knows they have ambitions to expand into Serbia and other Balkan countries.
Marcin Bażyński,
diplomat

Xs93UHA.png

Frankly, I care little for what happens in Serbia. Venice has already began expanding in the region and I don't see a reason to interfere. They can convert the heretics if they please. It's not worth opening ourselves up to a potential attack from Venice just to force the conversion of the Serbs. Let them live in their heresy while we focus on more important matters.

Your Grace,

May I first say that I am sorry for your loss. The loss of a relative is always a crippling one. I have also experienced loss in the last year. My father Giuliano Marco D'Este, rightful Duke of Modena and Prior of the Leyre was killed by Hungarian mercenary raiders in Tuscany while trying to negotiate a settlement in the case of Modenese independence. His body was stripped of clothes and toyed with by the Magyar barbarians. The death of my father offers a new chapter in the D'Este familiy's history. I would like to serve as page or squire in your court and possible work my way up to count. Eventually I will avenge my father and reclaim Modena. For now I will offer you my undying humble service.
Alfonso D'Este, Baron of Castello di San Giorgio

Xs93UHA.png

You are welcome to join us at court and serve as a courtier.

((I seem to remember you posted a potential bio for him, but I must have forgot to copy the link for it. :oops:))

Your Majesty,

That would be acceptable. However, should we have enough manpower and funds, I would advise a ratio of 1:1:1, that is, 1 infantry:1 cavalry:1 artillery. That would be most effective.

~Carlos de Leon

Xs93UHA.png

We may have enough manpower eventually, but I fear our treasury would not support such a thing. Our army is currently at a 2 infantry to 1 cavalry ratio and we are only making a small surplus, and we haven't even neared our potential limit for our forces. Replacing one of those infantry regiments with artillery will surely sink us into debt. I only suggested an infantry high ratio due to the affordability of infantry over either cavalry or artillery.

Your Grace Ferran II de Trastámara,
My most sincere condolences and blessings go out to your brother and the now-widowed Queen. As you seem to be wanting a new general as of now, I would like to humbly offer my services in order to fully show my undying loyalty to this proud, noble and rich country. Also, if possible, is my second son Lluís (who is 12 years of age) elligible to serve in the La Guardia Real? If so, it would truly carry on the family tradition.

Long live the new king!

- Jean Charles de Fidèlle

Xs93UHA.png

Very well, if you offer your service then we will accept it. I'm afraid I cannot permit a child to serve in La Guardia Real though. Wait a few years and he may join.

((Give me a stat focus for your general and I'll roll his stats.))

Your Majesty, Ferran II de Trastàmara, King of Aragon, Naples, Navarra, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Protector of the Greeks, [titles go on to a third of the way down the page]:

Definitely the worst moment for the king to pass. I offer my condolences to you.

But seriously. Me, on the court? I am rather surprised at this statement. After much deliberation on the sea, I have decided on the position of Grandmaster. However, I feel that the past Grandmaster's plan is adequate for such a situation.

With regards,

Ernst Wilhelm Lübecker
Admiral, Merchant

Xs93UHA.png

I am glad that you have accepted the position. If anyone else desires the position of Grand Admiral, that is also available.

Battlefield near Napoli, 28th of March, 1482, shortly after the battle:
General Castelozzi looked at what remained of the enemy. Their attack on Naples had been futile, as was their last try to advance into Granada. What did they have in mind? Instead of protecting their homes, attacking first Tuscany and then Naples? It had been their last mistake, for the Hungarians would never be able to see their homes again, after his men chased them down to the last. Castelozzi stood close to the dead body of general de Agramunt, and spoke, seemingly to himself: 'Of course! The pope is Hungarian! Was it such a good idea to get a papal blessing for their campaign?' Castelozzi would never understand zealots. 'De Agramunt, you must know it. Pious soul. Was it worth it?... Right, you can't answer me. Whatever lied between us, rest assured that I will treat you with the respect you deserve.' He had his old rival picked up and sent back to Alicante. It was the least he could do.

5wxzSfe.jpg

Your Majesty,

my condolences for the brutal death of your brother. May Your rule be prosperous, for his death will not be for nought. Such a vicious regicide will surely not happen again. The Guardia Real should take extra measures for Your safety.
As the Marshal will be indisposed for some time and has proposed a plan that exceeds our financial abilities, as general I would propose to include some artillery regiments into the army, as their effects may prove devastating, especially in sieges. The shorter they are, the less casualties we take. Artillery is but one part of the future of warfare, and we should not lack behind. I propose to include at least four such regiments into our armies for now, as they are expensive and their use on the battlefield is limited. I am sure that with the years, we will have to augment that number, but it should be enough for our actual needs.

Your loyal subject,
General Luigi Castelozzi, Count of Palermo

-at court, to Treasurer de Vivar y Sastre -

Your Eminence,
It pleases me to see that you wish to include the point of view of the generals of the realm into your plans for military spending. As I have said before, a soldier desperately needs his pay else he deserts or switches to the side of the enemy. While his pay in wartime has to be higher than in peacetime, there are always threats present in our realm. I would advise you to plan with a quarter of maintenance in peace time, if necessary a bit less. But always keep in mind the needs of the soldiers. They are the mortal shield of the realm, and unlike God, they have to be paid regularly with something else than solely with prayers. I also kindly advise you not to break any fundamental principle of our society in your next plan.

When Stefano heard of the tragic death of King Alfons, he felt empty. Alfons had given him the county of Zaragoza back in '77 as a sign of goodwill, and now he was dead. And then, he remembered words from his father, the retired Joseph von Thun, that he had intended to present himself as an advisor to the King the night he was stabbed to death. And he had not heard of him since then... So Stefano went off to search for his father. Before he reached the royal quarters, he noticed blood on the ground, that looked like it had been attempted to be cleaned in haste. When he followed it, he came into an old, unused room with large piles of paper. And there, in the dark, layed his father, stabbed into the back by the cowardish assassin and son of Ferran the Bastard... When Stefano screamed out loudly, royal guards arrived in the room just to see what had happened in there too. The only things Stefano felt when he was brought outside by the gurads, were sorrow for not having been with his father as often as he had deserved it, and a great and hot wrath at the bastard's successors.

((A letter to King Ferran II. de Trastámara))

My King

I can't express my wrath at the assassin. Not only has he killed your brother King Alfons VI., no, he has also killed my father Joseph von Thun who you have surely met in the past. It's a shame that he was killed just as he was about to offer his services again. I hope the bastard's son suffered heavily, he truly deserves to burn in hell...

Since one of our generals fell in the battles, I would like to claim said position. Since I was able to study in one of the universities of Aragon, I'm fairly used to the new technology called "artillery" and would like to command those ((Fire focus, to make it clear)). Regarding the Marshal's plans about regiment size, may I state that it would be the wisest to have as much artillery as infantry and cavallery combined, at least to the point where our treasury can still afford it? That way, our artillery can do great damage without being attackable itself, since the front line would hold attacks on the back line, erm, back.

By the way, my wife has recently given birth to my first child and son, Càrlo von Thun.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Count of Zaragoza

PS: If you have any clues on the bastard's family, I would truly like to lead our troops against him. His family killed my father, and I wish to repay this with their blood.

((OOC vote: Keep national focus if it is still locked))

Lucca, 1472

Celebrations were held across the city - the Lucchese defeated the Milanese and seized the territory of Parma. Francesco and his family were among the celebrants - he decided to contribute with his wealth to the Lucchese war effort, and the victory was surely rewarding! For sure, the control of Parma will give him a more agevolated access in North Italy - hence increasing the volume of his affairs. But still, he believed Lucca's position to be in tatters, as Tuscany was far for being defeated and the Hungarians loomed their presence in the peninsula.

He started to reach a mature age, and he didn't achieved much of his childhood objectives; but now, a new Aragonese King sits in Valencia, and maybe would be more reasonable to his former brother to accept his "advices"...

((letter to the new King of Aragon))

Your Majesty,

As a furnisher of the Royal House I want to congratulate yourself for your ascension to the throne, albeit in so saddening circumstances due to the abrupt death of your predecessor.

As Lucca recently acquired Western Emilia, me along with the Lucchese merchants will have better access to the goods of North Italy and as consequence to enlarge our volume of trade across the Aragonese crown lands... Still, I fear for my country surrounded by various enemies. I made years ago a suggestion to the previous ruler to slowly increase the Aragonese influence across Italy, befriending the Lucchese Republic. I hope you will be more willing to accept the potential benefit we could both take from an enduring friendship. A proclaim of guarantee of Aragon to Lucca would be the ideal in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I and soon my son would continue to offer our array of services to the Aragonese Crown, if you are willing to concede us any type of role which could be fitting for my capacities.

Respectfully,

Francesco Guinigi, merchant of the Repubblica di Lucca.

Manuel struggled to contain his boredom as he sat listening to the clerk of the Court of Wards drone on.

"Any objections to placing the young baron of [redacted placename] with the viscount [redacted]?" the court was silent. "Then the latter shall have the former in his care and will exercise control of the estates held in fife to his majesty King Ferran II. The revenues of said estates shall be yielded to his majesty's treasury, minus a sum for the provision of the late baron's widow. Moving on, Baron [redacted] has passed away, leaving a minor as heir..."

The number of cases that had been hidden from the crown surprised even Manuel. That an elderly lord would make provision for his heir without informing his liege was hardly surprising, given its financial implications. That said, the number who had been getting away with it with impunity was disturbing. Perhaps a fine should be implemented? Yes that should encourage more lords to come forward, leaving less work for the treasury and raise additional funds from those who failed to report.
In general keeping track of who owned what amongst the nobility was a pain, and made assessment for taxation hard. No immediate solutions sprang to mind, something to keep in mind then.

The clerks monotone voice continued, unabated "The Viscount [Redacted] has passed, leaving an infant daughter of four as his heir. Does the court have any suggestions for guardians?"

A girl of four, eh? This caught Manuel's attention.

"I propose Baron Jaume de Vivar" Manuel's brother had a son of around four... or seven... or something like that. What was the boys name again? Well whatever it was he would no doubt benefit from growing up with a viscountess. A union between them would only be a matter of formality.

"Are there any objections to placing..." The clerk's ponderous, bureaucratic formula continued.

A good days work, Manuel smiled to himself.

hjcEWcy.png

At court

Your Majesty,
I am deeply saddened by the death of your esteemed brother. I pray your reign may be long and prosperous.

To those who are speaking of an army of artillery, as treasurer I would like to make absolutely clear - this is fantasy. We have at most the funds to support three or four of these guns. Nothing associated with them is cheap; the vast quantities of metal needed, the expertise of the gunsmith, the remuneration of those testing the weapons (the guns frequently inexplicably rip themselves apart upon first testing them).

((I agree with those who have already posted: don't change the focus if the timer hasn't worn off.))

Last edited:
((It appears as though I'm going to have to drop this; I seem to have fallen completely behind during these last few turns. I appreciate you letting me join, and apologize for my lack of involvement. With luck I'll be able to give IAARs another a shot in the future.))

((@cpm4001 sad to see you go, but thanks for joining us on the journey ;)))

To his most gracious highness Ferran II,

I must express my sympathies for yourself on the loss of such a close member of the family.
May the Lord, however absent he can be in times like this, guide you with wisdom and cherisment.

I express no opinion as to what our country should focus on, as there are many things on my mind right now to offer much wisdom towards your grace on the path of our great nation in its near future.

Yours humbly,
Conte Matthias de Soneta of Pirineo.

((@alscon part 3 of the romance, 1 more part of this pending your decision- basically if you want Jasminia and Vincenzo to be wed, if a yes, as father to the groom+ bride, I think perhaps you could do the wedding sequence, if you wish of course :)))

Over the years, the relationship blossomed, with many a time giggles of laughter were heard through the castle walls, not heard since Juan had the full attention of his now courted sister, but he managed, steering towards the focused and academic path of his father, with skill gained in music from his mother. But this isn't about him after all. The couple seemed inseparable but it was hard to discern whether the pair had told each other the entire truth, as each would hold back the other at certain points in conversation. But they still found many a thing to enjoy about each other. As the years passed, Vincenzo learnt much of the county, but longed for the coasts of his childhood. By the end of the years, he felt ready to ask of his father, to which the conte and his daughter divulged his wish, and so he sent his message to the Conte de Palermo, his father Luigi

Dearest father,
I thank you for allowing me to court the wonder that is Jasminia de Soneta, but I ask you, are you happy for me and her to be united in matrimony? Having only heard snippets from the Conte about your wishes, I wish to be sure you are happy with this proposal before I bring it to its conclusion, as I am set on asking Jasminia for her hand in marriage, I only ask is this what you want?

I hope that you wish to the union to occur, and as soon as we organize matters with the Conte de Pirineo, pending your approval of course, I would love me and Jasminia to be wed in Palermo.

With regards,
Vincenzo

Last edited:
Your majesty,

I am deeply saddened to hear of the death of your brother. I am afraid that must also share the death of my father, Esteban Iglesia y Maig, of old age.

I also am here to request that the Baleares remain under my family's guidance. Your court would of course remain welcome to our hospitality…no matter your decision in that matter.

Thank you for your time.

-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

-----------------

Name: Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño
Date of birth: February, 1455
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Andrés is the oldest son of Esteban Iglesia y Maig, a major landholder in the Beleares. He inherited his father's nature: inquisitive, loyal, and determined, he seeks to increase the fortunes of his family. He has two younger siblings, one older sister, one daughter and another child on the way, so there is plenty of family in need of support, and more to come in the future.

Reactions: