• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((This is a game based around the mechanics of EUIV. No matter what it was like OTL, what matters is TTL))
((Just wanted to say that Aragon poorer is then some island in the pacific. A couple times, even))

Reactions:
((All currency is relative and we are going by EUIV values. 200 ducats in the game at this time is very expensive.))
((Why do you have to ruin my fun:(?

Reactions:
Moncada-Spain.jpg

"A time of rebellion is always a time of madness - otherwise why would somebody produce crazy stories of raids on Cagliari, pirate navies and having thousands of ducats? Some poor souls and weak minds clearly cannot survive the pressure and we can only pray for their health.

I must note that while the side of the howling dogs, the side of Ferran the Bastard, is not strong, some of the court of His Majesty and even one general of his army, are so cowardly that they have preferred to declare their neutrality to this struggle, refusing to protect their King against the usurper! Such people are unworthy of their positions of power - for when one refuses to stand by the Throne in the hour of greatest peril and cannot risk himself for the Realm, he cannot be called a loyal servant of the Crown"

- En Bernat de Moncada, Lord Count of Girona

It was a stormy night in Valencia. The castle got hit by lightning. There, in the dungeons, was Johannes. The storm kept him awake. He prayed to satan, and went to sleep...

((letter destined to the Cardinal de Vascona))

Your excellency,

even if I am not an Aragonese subject, I would be interested to support your petition over the reconstruction effort over Cagliari, after hearing of it. True, I don't have much influence within Aragon or large masses of wealth, but I think to being enough cordial relations with the merchants of Barcellona to support this effort for the better good of any interested party. I don't deny Cagliari and Sardinia for me have a relevant importance, for the quantity of cheese, cork and wool I can buy there, for being a safen haven in the Mediterranean, and despite the ambush could be a suitable haven.

Eventually soon I will return in Barcellona from Lucca - as I was searching a suitable wife in my homeland - and I would be willing to have a meeting with you, if you are interested to do so. Even if you are a man of faith, I think my goods would be interesting for your uses and those of your dioceses.

Respectfully,

Francesco Guinigi, merchant of the Repubblica di Lucca.

((I think that this is a good moment to talk about the intentions of my great character. He basically is a satan worshipping, crazy dude that is great in fighting and sailing, and very protective of his family. He is simply there for me to have a character while Cornelis, the son of my first character to grows up. That's his entire reason. Cornelis, for a change, will be a great guy, not taking hasty decisions like his father, and he doesn't go crazy for revenge.))

Reactions:
((The vote for the succession is officially over. I'll try to write something up, but I think I'm coming down with the flu and might be a bit sluggish getting it done.))

((The vote for the succession is officially over. I'll try to write something up, but I think I'm coming down with the flu and might be a bit sluggish getting it done.))

((Crap, was about to vote on it. Assume that Grimaldi stayed neutral, and I'll try to do an IC-explanation about the crisis here shortly.))

((What happens to the votes of characters that died in the time, will they count or disappear?))

((I would like to clarify that Cagliari was indeed burned down as that was what happened. No matter what one might say about the burning being a dream it is frankly too late. So when RPing about Cagliari do it with the knowledge that it was burned down by that guy.))

1gYh77S.png

((Aragon simplied))

Reactions:
Your Grace Alfons VI de Trastámara,
I congratulate you on being able to gain the support of mostly all of your vassals. If I were a vassal of yours, I would easily support you. While some people may call you "cruel", I call you an efficient upbringer of justice and honour.

Speaking of being a vassal of yours, I would like to humbly request the crown possession of Barcelona. You see, my wife Margalida is of the Cristòfor dynasty, the dynasty that ruled Barcelona before the treacherous and foolish Joan acted like an idiot and lost the county for the dynasty. I will promise to be the most loyal vassal in all of Aragon, if I must!

- Jean Charles de Fidèlle

((letter destined to the Cardinal de Vascona))

Your excellency,

even if I am not an Aragonese subject, I would be interested to support your petition over the reconstruction effort over Cagliari, after hearing of it. True, I don't have much influence within Aragon or large masses of wealth, but I think to being enough cordial relations with the merchants of Barcellona to support this effort for the better good of any interested party. I don't deny Cagliari and Sardinia for me have a relevant importance, for the quantity of cheese, cork and wool I can buy there, for being a safen haven in the Mediterranean, and despite the ambush could be a suitable haven.

Eventually soon I will return in Barcellona from Lucca - as I was searching a suitable wife in my homeland - and I would be willing to have a meeting with you, if you are interested to do so. Even if you are a man of faith, I think my goods would be interesting for your uses and those of your dioceses.

Respectfully,

Francesco Guinigi, merchant of the Repubblica di Lucca.

Signore Guingini,

Thank you for writing to me.

I believe Pirineo is well-supplied, though you should ask the Conde de Soneta. Rome is also stocked with goods though I believe merchants are always welcome here.

Unfortunately I am too busy with theological matters to meet you in person. May God be with you.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Bishop of Pirineo

1468- The Succession Crisis

The Succession War that ensued after the death of Joan II proved to be a much quicker affair than either successor had believed. Ferran went into it knowing his life was on the line, but also believing that most people in Aragon would support him. He overestimated the hatred of Alfons. King Alfons VI had the stronger claim and kept an iron grip on his subjects. One by one, the nobles declared their support for their rightful king, bringing their personal armies onto his side. Other than Count Arturo de Valencia and the landless Ferran Perez de Cabrera, all the nobles either backed Alfons or kept their distance from the conflict. Alfons was so intent on crushing Ferran the Bastard that he barely noticed those nobles who stayed neutral.

The clergy within Aragon were quick to voice their support for Alfons VI as well. Ignoring the line of succession was an affront to God, especially if one wanted to place a bastard on the throne. Cardinal Fernando de Vascona even used his leverage in the Holy See to convince the Pope to endorse Alfons’s reign. The Pope expressed a desire to personally crown Alfons VI king of Aragon and Naples, which would have to wait until the Mediterranean was clear for Alfons VI to make the trip to Rome. Ferran had nominal control of Naples and a rogue admiral had already attacked Cagliari. The waters were not safe.

With his rule legitimized by both the Church and his nobles, Alfons ordered his army to handle the traitors. Zaragoza was besieged by over 10,000 men, although Count Arturo de Valencia fought to the bitter end. When the walls were finally assaulted and the Count’s castle taken, Arturo de Valencia was dragged out before the King. The Count resisted to the very end, spitting at Alfons VI in defiance. The King, too enraged to consider his usual torture methods, ordered the man beheaded then and there. As the Count was take to the executioner’s block, he told the King that he’d see him in Hell. Alfons VI merely scowled at that comment as the Arturo’s head was severed from his shoulders. The King declared that the de Valencia’s would rule no more in Zaragoza from here on for their treachery.

With the only resistance in Aragon handled, the King’s army sailed for Naples. Ferran, despite ties to the region, had not garnered the support he had hoped for in Naples. Only his wife’s vassals and friends supported him, giving him control of maybe a third of the peninsula. Viceroy Renato Limmona organized the loyalist forces in Naples, keeping Ferran from overrunning the entire region. He still hoped for peace and sent several offers to Ferran begging him to stand down to prevent further bloodshed. The bastard was unwilling to stand down. Ferran knew that to surrender meant death. Alfons would not show him mercy.

As Alfons’s forces landed in Naples, Ferran soon found himself outmatched. He held out as long as he could, but his army was routed early on. In one last act of desperation, a few hundred men, led by Ferran Perez de Cabrera, sacrificed their lives so that Ferran could flee. As long as he lived, there would be a claimant that could overthrow the tyrant Alfons VI. These men fought bravely, but knew that they were destined to die. It was assumed that Ferran Perez de Cabrera died during the battle, although his body was not found. Renato de Abruzzi, who was hiding in Austria, arranged for transport for the bastard. In the dead of night, Ferran sailed up the Adriatic Sea to Venice and travelled over land to Austria. With Ferran gone, his forces were crushed and the kingdom secured. Alfons VI had won.

Word soon reached the King that Ferran had survived, despite his army’s defeat. Diplomat Joseph von Thun was even sent to Austria to demand that the Habsburgs hand over the bastard. They refused, a great insult to Alfons VI. Ferran would live in hiding out of Alfons’s grasp for now. His escape also stirred up the King’s paranoia. It had not gone unnoticed that most of his courtiers had remained neutral or uninvolved in the succession war. These foreigners that had sought position at court had shown their true colours. They only supported him when it was convenient and cared little who was king. He’d have to keep a careful eye on them all. Only true Aragonese could be trusted. He’d keep that in mind as he plotted how to kill Ferran once and for all. His crown would never be safe until the bastard was dead.

Presenting His Majesty, Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks.

I… rather we come before you today as the rightful king, as it should be. Those who doubted us are dead or have fled. Ferran is still alive, but he has been shown that the people of Aragon will never accept his rule. We are king and he is a bastard; that will never change. Now that he is beyond our grasp but at least not a threat at present, we can focus on returning to some state of normalcy. As such, we shall appoint our new Council:

Chancellor - King Alfons VI de Trastámara
Steward - King Alfons VI de Trastámara
Treasurer - King Alfons VI de Trastámara
Grandmaster - King Alfons VI de Trastámara
Marshal - Carlos de Leon ((zenphoenix))
Grand Admiral - King Alfons VI de Trastámara
Court Chaplain - Fernando de Vascona ((Andre Massena))
Viceroy of Naples - Renato Limmona ((AvatarOfKhaine))
Representative to Byzantium - Ioannes Kontostephanos ((TrueProd))

You may be surprised by how many roles we have taken for ourselves. It is because I fear that I do not know who to trust. Our two viceroys have done their duties ably enough and it would be foolish to question the capabilities of a cardinal. Count Carlos de Leon shall remain as Marshal for his support during the crisis. As for the rest, we do not know who to choose. To be frank, our courtiers have not entirely proven their loyalty. There was a disturbing lack of support for us during the war and we do not appreciate that. We will not trust affairs of state to those who cannot accept us as their rightful king. We shall run the entire kingdom if we have to. Now you all should be doing your best to prove your loyalty before we start looking for traitors.

((Okay, now to deal with the aftermath. @05060403, your character is dead and you must make a new one. @Riccardo93 and @GameHunter5303 your characters are considered criminals, although you are free to kill them off as a result of the war if you want. Also, if anyone wants any of the positions claimed by the king, excluding Chancellor, they should mention it. I have no idea who wants what at this point. Just keep in mind that Alfons might not accept these request if he doesn't trust you.

As for the ministers, they have until 9am PST on Thursday to present their plans. Also, I’ve made a small change where ministers are now required to state if they are keeping their plans the same. Any minister who fails to provide a plan, either different or the same, for two consecutive turns is automatically fired. You also have until the deadline to propose any laws or petitions. Just a reminder that the national focus on military ends with Joan’s death and you can now propose a new one *cough* diplo *cough*. Also, I have not forgotten the free idea group. We’ll vote on that after the plans have been presented. We also have a fort in Granada now, so the Marshal may want to consider that in his plan. Here is the random info screenshots to help with formulating plans:

))

Your Grace Alfons VI de Trastámara,
I congratulate you on being able to gain the support of mostly all of your vassals. If I were a vassal of yours, I would easily support you. While some people may call you "cruel", I call you an efficient upbringer of justice and honour.

Speaking of being a vassal of yours, I would like to humbly request the crown possession of Barcelona. You see, my wife Margalida is of the Cristòfor dynasty, the dynasty that ruled Barcelona before the treacherous and foolish Joan acted like an idiot and lost the county for the dynasty. I will promise to be the most loyal vassal in all of Aragon, if I must!

- Jean Charles de Fidèlle

vvEKLhO.png

You must be joking. Barcelona was taken away from the Cristòfor family because they tried to kill my father. Why would I ever give that land back to anyone associated with them? That would be utter madness.

- His Majesty, Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

My liege, I am pleased to hear that your rule has been secured. Long live the King!

-Esteban Iglesia y Maig

To His Majesty, Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Your Majesy,

As a humble man of God I am concerned about the fate of the men of Aragon who have suffered during the war like peasents who were done harm by both the bastard's forces and Loyalists, which includes being forced to fight or the destruction of their labour by the plundering of their produce, or the citizens of Cagliari, who were attacked by a godless pirate supported by heathens. Thus, as a humble man of God, I ask you, I beg you to relief those victims of the actions of the bastard, both directly and indirectly, as a pious man of God, for Aragon and its people.

Bishop Adriano Juan de Valencia, Abad de Abadía de St. Francisco de Asís

To King Alfons VI of Aragon,

I may be a simple woman, but I am no idiot. I saw that the countrys economy has been stagnating, and that about 33% of the income goes to the army. I would suggest lowering the supplies the army recieves during peace, and since the bastard Ferran has been defeated, there is no threat. It would increase the funds that we could put into expanding the economy, like building Temples, and marketplaces.

Jolandha van Tiel, wife of Michiel, mother of Cornelis.

Last edited:
Reactions:
9skqvwl.png

To His Royal Majesty, King Alfons VI, and the court,
Congratulations on your magnificent victory, Your Majesty. God smiles upon you as a trueborn son. May He bless you with sons and security for your reign. It is a shame that the bastard could not be brought to justice, but perhaps the Lord has other designs. Now we must rebuild our realm and repair the damage that brigands, pirates, and years of war have caused.

Thank you for entrusting the position of Court Chaplain to my person as your father did. As court chaplain, I recommend that the crown support my efforts at reforming the Church and supporting my "faction". Hopefully, we will be able to influence His Holiness to return the Church to its more spiritual roots and remake it as in institution that cares for the needs of the poor and spiritually malnourished. Soon the seas shall be safe and you will be able to travel to Rome to be blessed by His Holiness, which would be a great opportunity for the kingdom and your person to potentially influence the pontiff and increase the prestige of your dynasty in the eyes of Christendom.

Unfortunately, I must advise that the kingdom end its mission to place my person on the throne of Saint Peter. It appears that the opportunity has passed and that the Lord has other designs. Finally, I would recommend that missionaries be sent to any provinces that believe in heresy but are open to conversion.

God bless you, Your Majesty.

Your humble servant,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Bishop of Pirineo

((Court chaplain plan:
-keep investing influence to increase our papal chances
-convert provinces whenever possible per the Shield of Saint Peter Act
-cancel the mission to become papal controller))