• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reactions:
((I'm not quite sure what this imaginary fleet has to do with Aragonese ships though? It's not like it can sink any of the ships since it's not in-game.))
((Aren't we roleplaying? The ships will surely slow you down, kill some people and damage the ships.))

Reactions:
King Alfons VI of Aragon and Naples, can you free me if I give you 10000 golden duckats?

Reactions:
((Gameplay is firmly rooted in EU IV. Sometimes, non-Gameplay events are added to spice things up (such as the current succession war) however we cannot add these as and when we like. Imagine the insanity of everyone adding their personal navies, vast wealth, and great influence with foreign powers. The thread would quickly spiral into a nonsense. Ultimately the GM decides on such things, and they will often be put to the vote.

We play characters that have opinions, prejudices and a place in society. Each one of those characters is relatively powerless to directly affect the flow of events. They can however gain positions of power (such as chancellor or regent etc) and help guide Aragon and leave their mark on history. There are no grand heroics or great feats, our characters are normal individuals in an alt history of Aragon.

If you have not read or participated in a Vicky II or EU IV iAAR before, I would suggest you read along for a bit to get an idea of what sort of RolePlay occurs. It may not be quite what you are looking for. If it is, then please keep in mind that you are playing with 15-30 other people, each of whom have their own place in the story and respect that accordingly.))

Reactions:
((Gameplay is firmly rooted in EU IV. Sometimes, non-Gameplay events are added to spice things up (such as the current succession war) however we cannot add these as and when we like. Imagine the insanity of everyone adding their personal navies, vast wealth, and great influence with foreign powers. The thread would quickly spiral into a nonsense. Ultimately the GM decides on such things, and they will often be put to the vote.

We play characters that have opinions, prejudices and a place in society. Each one of those characters is relatively powerless to directly affect the flow of events. They can however gain positions of power (such as chancellor or regent etc) and help guide Aragon and leave their mark on history. There are no grand heroics or great feats, our characters are normal individuals in an alt history of Aragon.

If you have not read or participated in a Vicky II or EU IV iAAR before, I would suggest you read along for a bit to get an idea of what sort of RolePlay occurs. It may not be quite what you are looking for. If it is, then please keep in mind that you are playing with 15-30 other people, each of whom have their own place in the story and respect that accordingly.))

((I couldn't have put it better myself. As far as what happens in-game, this succession crisis will only affect who is our king and very little else. Our armies are not fighting each other, since that would be nearly impossible to manage without modding in some revolter state or such. Everyone will just have to act like everything being roleplayed happened, even though only a day will pass in-game.

As far as characters go, the roleplaying portion is really for fun and has little to no impact on what actually happens in-game, other than through votes or your character's relations to the king or country. For example I can't replicate personal armies or navies, and having each noble decide how their single province is treated in-game would be a nightmare for me to manage. It really is a fine balance between player interaction and allowing the game to work separate from the roleplaying to create a smooth and streamlined process. When I say roleplay to your heart's content, there are limits. There have been players who have arranged marriage contracts, gone on trading missions, held feasts, etc and that is all fine. But when that roleplaying starts encroaching on the gameplay portion, such as targeting in-game armies or provinces, or proves detrimental to another player's roleplaying experience when they don't want it, then I have a problem. I really do want everyone to have fun and its entertaining to roleplay, but iAARs have a nasty habit of spiralling out of control when people start pushing the rules. I've never GMed an iAAR and maybe that is showing, but I want to ensure this keeps running smoothly. So everyone should feel free to roleplay and such, but just remember there are rules and they need to be respected.))

Reactions:
King Alfons VI of Aragon and Naples, can you free me if I give you 10000 golden duckats?

vvEKLhO.png

Don't be absurd. The entire treasury of Aragon barely has a few hundred ducats. Any man with that much wealth to throw around would be richer than half the kings in Europe. I know merchants are greedy, but none are that rich.

- His Majesty, Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

The entire treasury of Aragon barely has a few hundred ducats. Any man with that much wealth to throw around would be richer than half the kings in Europe. I know merchants are greedy, but none are that rich.

((Alfons knows logic. :eek: ))

Disturbed by the possibly fictitious reports of an attack on Cagliari by probably fictitious pirates, Cardinal de Vascona sends a petition to King Alfons

Petition to Rebuild Cagliari

In order to repair the damage from the recent attack on Cagliari, we hereby propose the following measures:

I. A new marketplace shall be built in Cagliari ((build marketplace in Cagliari))
II. A team of court administrators shall be sent to Cagliari to help rebuild the tax-base of the city ((improve basetax in Cagliari))

Reactions:
((Am back from my trip; will catch up on what's been going on in the thread/cast any necessary votes/do some RPing tomorrow.))

((Alfons knows logic. :eek: ))

((Well he does have a 5 admin stat. Just because he's cruel doesn't mean he doesn't know how to run a kingdom. :p))

Disturbed by the possibly fictitious reports of an attack on Cagliari by probably fictitious pirates, Cardinal de Vascona sends a petition to King Alfons

((I'll add this to a list of laws we'll vote on once the succession crisis is all over.))

((My God people, let the door open an inch and we have these shenanigans - I was busy with business as well and so caught up on everything now))

MelillaArms_zpsn2sicbhd.png

My most royal majesty, King Alfos VI de Trastamara, King of Aragon and Naples, Protector of the Greeks, Savior of the Faith, Restorer of the Church, [the list goes on for half a page]

I have kept to myself, as such your correspondence from several years indicated, and have brought much of Melilla into Aragonese governance. The return of my wife and my darling boy, Alfonso Torarella, two years previously have greatly lifted spirits here in Melilla. We have found a way to withhold fish for market in Melilla which has translated to higher prices further inland. I then offered price reductions to those Meillians inland who complained. But of course the reduced prices only brought the fish back down to their original price. I have used a portion of the profit from the increased price at the docks to maintain the small contingent of the Company of the Olive, around 20 men, that arrived from my entreaties several years previously. The rest of the profit, I sent on ships returning to the kingdom.

We all got quite a laugh from the madman claiming to have ships that would blot out the Sea from horizon to horizon. I now hear that he is locked up in the dungeons, which is quite clearly where someone with so addled a mind belongs. I am also troubled by this crisis of succession which has so unfairly been thrust upon you. I know from our previous correspondence that you are a direct man and would therefore say that whatever Melilla can do to help you in this crisis, I will provide. Most likely our merchant fleet may be of service if the time comes.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Edward Torarella, Gobernador Real de Melilla

((Succession Crisis: Support Alfons))

((Mediterranean Sea))

Joan was scared. He was alone on a small, wooden boat that he purchased from a shady individual in the middle of a vast sea. It scared him that at any moment, pirates or someone even worse could easily attack his boat and kill him. And then, it happened.

The boat capsized.

The choppy waves of the Mediterranean instanly forced Joan to sink into the fierce sea. It only took seconds for him to fully pass out.
Joan Cristofor had died.

((New character info will be posted shortly))

Alejandro approaches the King

Your Majesty, it gladdens me that the Bastard has found short shrift amongst the people of Aragon, I am sure he will soon be caught and put to justice.

I would like to propose the establishment of a chivalric order akin to the Burgundian Order of the Golden Fleece, or the English Order of the Garter. Not only would it create bonds amongst our nobility and bind them to the crown, but it could also prove to be a useful diplomatic tool. Foreign monarchs could be awarded a place to improve relations, important individuals in conquered lands could be granted a place to reduce their hostility to your majesty's rule and encourage integration into Aragon.

If the idea is pleasing to you, Sire, I could have a charter drawn up immediately. I do not have a particular name in mind, but something along the lines of "Royal Alfonsine Order" or "Royal Order of St. George".

((Purely meant as flavour for the king to be able to award characters who have done something noteworthy))

Last edited:
((Mediterranean Sea))

Joan was scared. He was alone on a small, wooden boat that he purchased from a shady individual in the middle of a vast sea. It scared him that at any moment, pirates or someone even worse could easily attack his boat and kill him. And then, it happened.

The boat capsized.

The choppy waves of the Mediterranean instanly forced Joan to sink into the fierce sea. It only took seconds for him to fully pass out.
Joan Cristofor had died.

((New character info will be posted shortly))

((Just a heads up that I've put a guideline/restriction on character deaths. Now there needs to be at least a ten year gap between them to prevent players from just killing off their characters constantly, especially when things don't go their way. I'll let it slide this one time, but keep it in mind when you make your next character.))

Alejandro approaches the King

Your Majesty, it gladdens me that the Bastard has found short shrift amongst the people of Aragon, I am sure he will soon be caught and put to justice.

I would like to propose the establishment of a chivalric order akin to the Burgundian Order of the Golden Fleece, or the English Order of the Garter. Not only would it create bonds amongst our nobility and bind them to the crown, but it could also prove to be a useful diplomatic tool. Foreign monarchs could be awarded a place to improve relations, important individuals in conquered lands could be granted a place to reduce their hostility to your majesty's rule and encourage integration into Aragon.

If the idea is pleasing to you, Sire, I could have a charter drawn up immediately. I do not have a particular name in mind, but something along the lines of "Royal Alfonsine Order" or "Royal Order of St. George".

((Purely meant as flavour for the king to be able to award characters who have done something noteworthy))

vvEKLhO.png

This idea pleases me greatly. It sounds like an excellent way to keep my subjects loyal. I shall keep this in mind and consult the court on the matter once the situation regarding the Bastard is dealt with.

- His Majesty, Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Jean Charles de Fidèlle.png

Name: Jean Charles de Fidèlle
Born: 17 September 1445
Class: Noble
Religion: Catholic
Biography: Jean Charles de Fidèlle was born in 17 September 1445 near the town of Perpignan in the county of Roussillon as the eldest surviving son to grain farmer Louis de Fidèlle (b. 1427), who had moved to Aragon from southern France just months before his birth, and an unknown mother who was suspected to have died while giving birth to Jean.

For a majority of Jean's early childhood, the Fidèlles were a typical peasant family. However, this all changed in 1455, when Jean's father became a member of the La Guàrdia Real after a friend of the family urged Louis to join. This gave them a decent income to live on and a decent amount of prominence and prestige within Aragon. The family shortly moved to València after Louis gained the job, and Jean was educated by local mathematician and cartographer Francesc de Mollabramont.

Once Jean came of age in 1461, his father immediately ordered a betrothal between him and Margalida Cristòfor (b. 1450), daughter of then-Count of Barcelona Jaume Cristòfor. The couple married in 1465 in Barcelona, and currently has one child: Marcus (b. 1467). After the death of Joan Cristòfor in 1468, his wife became the head of House Cristòfor due to the main line now being extinct.

In terms of personality, Jean is loyal, honourable and content with his position in life, however he is not resistant to any major change that brings him up in the world. He is considered extremely capable with mathematics, economics and diplomacy. In contrast, Jean is extremely aggressive, inexperienced and very impulsive, and will act on his decision immediately with out any other thought or input.

Reactions:
Don't be absurd. The entire treasury of Aragon barely has a few hundred ducats. Any man with that much wealth to throw around would be richer than half the kings in Europe. I know merchants are greedy, but none are that rich.

((Well, looks like it is time to use maths and information! A temple costs 100 duckats in game. In real life it would cost about €4000000 (or $5000000 for you silly americans). So 4000000/100 = 40000. So 1 duckat is €40000 IRL. This would mean that the 10000 duckats would be €400 Million. For comparison, Bill gates has $76 billion. Aragon would have 10 million (pfft, peasants) So how much would a group of merchants have? Lets take the most succesful company, the Dutch East India company as an example. They had about 76 million Dutch guilders. That sounds like not much right? In modern day standards that would be 6... TRILLION!!!!!! For comparison, the continent of Africa doesn't even have a trillion euros. Lets go back to the 10 million euros that Aragon would have. Tuvalu, the poorest country in the world, has 40 million. That must hurt, outclassed by a random island in the middle of the ocean. See, 10000 duckats is not too crazy, Aragon is just extremely poor.:p))

((TL: DR: Aragon is a african poophole!))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Well, looks like it is time to use maths and information! A temple costs 100 duckats in game. In real life it would cost about €4000000 (or $5000000 for you silly americans). So 4000000/100 = 40000. So 1 duckat is €40000 IRL. This would mean that the 10000 duckats would be €400 Million. For comparison, Bill gates has $76 billion. Aragon would have 10 million (pfft, peasants) So how much would a group of merchants have? Lets take the most succesful company, the Dutch East India company as an example. They had about 76 million Dutch guilders. That sounds like not much right? In modern day standards that would be 6... TRILLION!!!!!! For comparison, the continent of Africa doesn't even have a trillion euros. Lets go back to the 10 million euros that Aragon would have. Tuvalu, the poorest country in the world, has 40 million. That must hurt, outclassed by a random island in the middle of the ocean. See, 10000 duckats is not too crazy, Aragon is just extremely poor.:p))

((Why did I even do this))

((This is a game based around the mechanics of EUIV. No matter what it was like OTL, what matters is TTL))