• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((ok add it although I would wait to get a province in the Levant such as the principality of Antioch or the county of triply or perhaps kingdom of Jerusalem if you ever go crusading?what is required for a crusade?))what the revolt risk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_states

((Technically the Holy Land is outside Europe and thus would have governors instead of nobles, so no one would receive titles to those lands at first, assuming we ever conquer land there. That would still be a long way off if it is. Crusades would be handled however EUIV handles them. Also, I agree with ML8991. I'd prefer to avoid long streams of OOC if possible.

Revolt risk is -1.58 as shown in the screenshot from the last update. For future reference to everyone, I include a screenshot of all the important tabs at the end of each update with all that information, so you can always check there.))

Character Creation
Name: Giuliano Marco D'Este
Date of birth: 1430
Class: Courtier/hopeful diplomat
(Faction) Northern Italy
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Giuliano Marco D'Este was born on April 27 in the year of our lord 14 hundred and 30 in the Este castle. Second son of the duke of Ferrara and his wife Amelia di Salerno, Giuliano had a rivalry with his brother Giovanni D'Este since a young age, one that would come to fruition later. At the age of 20 Giuliano was appointed lord of Modena and margrave of Reggio making him the second most powerful man in the regnum ferrarae. Having married Isabella Gonzaga, the second daughter of the duke of Mantua at age 15, he began using these family connections to build a network of friends in northern Italy. By age 24 he had friends in the governments of Lucca, Mantua, Ferrara, Venice, and The Papal States. His father died a month before his 25th birthday leaving all of Giuliano's titles, including that of ambassador to Mantua and the Holy See, in the hands of Giovanni. Threatened by Giuliano's power, Giovanni attempted to seize Modena and Reggio and capture Giuliano. The first part of the plan succeeded but Giuliano fled to Lucca disguised as a servant. Giuliano now travels to Aragon seeking a title and support in his expedition to reclaim his birth right, Modena, this time under a independent dynasty of Gonzaga-Este.

Your Grace,

I am Giuliano Marco D'Este, Duke of Modena, Margrave of Reggio, and Ambassador of Mantua to the court of Aragon. My wife's family has kindly given me a position as a diplomat to further aide me in my quest for justice. I have spent my recent years traveling Europe looking for a great nation to support my claim to Modena. Due to the great victories against the Turk in Greece and your Partnership with Venice I come to believe that you with stabilize Northern Italy and protect the Adriatic from further threats. If my claim was to be upheld by Aragon, maybe with military support, Modena would be a strong ally for eternity. The cities of the Romagna and Po Valley cry for a protector who will defend them from the Germans and Franks. Thought I ask much I beg you to help me as a Christian displaced by gealously and greed. Seize my dead mother's land from my brother and grant me them instead. I will loyally serve you till I die as count of Salerno.

Duke Giuliano D'Este and Lady Isabella Gonzaga

(( I will be gone for 13 days but anticipate your response, thank you))

Your Grace,

I am Giuliano Marco D'Este, Duke of Modena, Margrave of Reggio, and Ambassador of Mantua to the court of Aragon. My wife's family has kindly given me a position as a diplomat to further aide me in my quest for justice. I have spent my recent years traveling Europe looking for a great nation to support my claim to Modena. Due to the great victories against the Turk in Greece and your Partnership with Venice I come to believe that you with stabilize Northern Italy and protect the Adriatic from further threats. If my claim was to be upheld by Aragon, maybe with military support, Modena would be a strong ally for eternity. The cities of the Romagna and Po Valley cry for a protector who will defend them from the Germans and Franks. Thought I ask much I beg you to help me as a Christian displaced by gealously and greed. Seize my dead mother's land from my brother and grant me them instead. I will loyally serve you till I die as count of Salerno.

Duke Giuliano D'Este and Lady Isabella Gonzaga

Pah, partnership with Venice. They are filthy traitors who covet our Greek possessions and the lands that belong to our friends and allies. I cannot say if your claims are of any interest to Aragon. We do not desire to interfere with the Holy Roman Empire by attacking Milan for Modena and invoke the wrath of the Austrians in the process, nor do we wish to antagonize the Pope by trapping him between our lands. I am also afraid that we have no need for any more diplomats at the moment ((the two spots are full)). That is not to say that we cannot use your wisdom and advice at court. You are welcome to stay regardless, and perhaps in time our interests may change regarding northern Italy.

- Prince Alfons de Trastámara

((Salerno is part of Naples, meaning it cannot be claimed by a player. Claimants to foreign provinces are fine, but all titles to land within any part of Aragon or its vassals must be okayed by me first. I'd prefer to avoid anyone holding titles belonging to our vassals if I can.))

Character Creation
Name: Giuliano Marco D'Este
Date of birth: 1430
Class: Courtier/hopeful diplomat
(Faction) Northern Italy
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Giuliano Marco D'Este was born on April 27 in the year of our lord 14 hundred and 30 in the Este castle. Second son of the duke of Ferrara and his wife Amelia di Salerno, Giuliano had a rivalry with his brother Giovanni D'Este since a young age, one that would come to fruition later. At the age of 20 Giuliano was appointed lord of Modena and margrave of Reggio making him the second most powerful man in the regnum ferrarae. Having married Isabella Gonzaga, the second daughter of the duke of Mantua at age 15, he began using these family connections to build a network of friends in northern Italy. By age 24 he had friends in the governments of Lucca, Mantua, Ferrara, Venice, and The Papal States. His father died a month before his 25th birthday leaving all of Giuliano's titles, including that of ambassador to Mantua and the Holy See, in the hands of Giovanni. Threatened by Giuliano's power, Giovanni attempted to seize Modena and Reggio and capture Giuliano. The first part of the plan succeeded but Giuliano fled to Lucca disguised as a servant. Giuliano now travels to Aragon seeking a title and support in his expedition to reclaim his birth right, Modena, this time under a independent dynasty of Gonzaga-Este.
((Why not create a character named "von Habsburg"?;)))

Reactions:
jEquDXu.png

To His Eminence, the Bishop of Valencia,
Thank you for writing to me, my friend. I do agree that we must root out heresy in our midst in Aragon and that there many Jews and Mohammedans that hide among us who have not turned toward the light of God. However, I must caution against establishing an Inquisition under the auspices of the crown of Aragon. Such a move may diminish the spiritual authority of the Church and would not be likely to be well received in the Vatican and with His Holiness. However, I shall consult with His Holiness on the matter. It would be most helpful to hear the opinion of His Highness, King Joan, on the matter so that I may act as the crown's ambassador to the Holy See. It is best to act with caution concerning such delicate and important matters.

On another note I hear that His Holiness may soon name another bishop from Aragon to the College of Cardinals. I have no doubt that His Holiness would choose you, my friend, to fill the position, for there is no better man of the clergy to fill the role.

The amount of new artwork being produced in Rome is truly astonishing. Even the court in Valencia cannot compare to the splendors being created here. As beautiful as many of these works are, I am troubled that too many men in the Vatican concern themselves with these material goods instead of the spiritual well-being of the Church. I have seen reports of discontent with the Church across Europe and I worry that venality being displayed in Rome is at the root of our problems. If you are elevated to the College, perhaps you can join me in my mission to bring purity back to the heart of the Church. It would be quite useful to have a friend and ally here in Rome.

Stay safe in Valencia and keep a close eye on your flock. I hear that many assassins lurk in the shadows, attempting to subvert God's will. We can only pray that they would not take the heinous step of attempting to eliminate anointed men.

May God be with you, my friend.

Sincerely,

Cardinal Fernando de Vascona
Bishop of Pirineo
hjcEWcy.png
Letter to Cardinal de Vascona

Your eminence, whilst I understand your concerns, surely the biggest threat to the Church's spiritual authority comes from those who subvert the word of God? Left unchecked it will spread like a disease to infect every level of society.

It pains me to say it but His Majesty is rarely lucid, and I fear he will not remain with us long. His Highness the Crown Prince has largely taken up the burden of government. I have spoken with him on this issue, and first wrote to you with his blessing. As I'm sure you understand it would be ill advised for him to push matters officially without first obtaining some idea of His Holiness' position.

I am sure His Holiness does not need reminding who's galleys keep the coasts of Latium safe from Berber piracy, who's navy stands between Christendom and the heathen hordes, and who's armies stand ready to march in defence of his temporal realm. What would happen if internal strife and moral corruption should distract that realm. It makes me shudder to think.

I thank you for your kind words, my friend, a cardinals cap would be a greater privilege than I could ever have dreamed of. For too long the Church has been Italian centric. Rumours of the venality among some of the college have long circulated, but your confirmation of them is worrying. I pray God gives you the strength to fight in his name in these matters, and he would do better to chose a younger man than I to aid you.

God Bless.

Alejandro Sastre
Bishop of Balencia

Reactions:
(( I must say I'm a bit lost right now ... :p
I'll try to be more active with the son of my character but well maybe I'll just drop if I can't manage to come back in the game. Better have my position filled by someone more active than to leave it to me who just comes voting half of time :D ))

Your Grace,

Due to your response I have decided to take the cloth instead of living a life of begging in uninterested courts. While I hope one day to return to Modena by the grace of almighty God, my soul is weary, my family powerless and poor, my son too young to understand our desperate situation. Hopefully one day he will sit on the throne of Modena and Salerno. As a commend my life to God and the Dominican Order, I hope I may serve the crown and its goals. Maybe as a confessor to your grace? For now I struggle to learn these Iberian tongues at the Leyre Monastery in Navarre.

Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare
Giuliano D'Este, Duke of Modena, Margrave of Reggio, Friar of the Order of Saint Dominic
And my son Alfonso D'Este young baron of the Castillo di San Giorgio.

Joseph von Thun starred at the map of the known world in his chamber and at the marks where he was sent to already by the two Kings he served under. He had seen most of the mediterranean already, having been sent to the Ottomans to declare war, to the Neapolitaneans to ease tensions, to Venice to do just the same. He even educated the once-young prince Alfons in the ways of diplomacy... but still, he was unsatisfied. The one province he wanted for his one and only son, Stefano, the province of Murcia in Iberia, was still held by the unworthy Castilians.

Because of the growing assassin faction in Aragon, he had to be silent on court so he would not become the next target. Appearently, it worked since the only man in dark clothes he saw was Alfons himself back when he taught him. But now, with his growing age, he had to start speaking up again. His own health meant nothing if his line would die out due to the crown of Aragon stopping regarding the Noble House Von Thun with kindness.

Since the almost-succesful assassination of the King, who was almost like a father to Joseph, age differences aside, and the rumors about the decreasing health of His Majesty, he had begun to search for worthy doctors on his diplomatic missions. Back when he offered the Byzantines the peace treaty, he finally found a man named Alexander who was a medicinal genius. Maybe, the King's health could be rised again with this man...

((A letter to the King Joan II, or to Prince Alfons if he is not able to read at the time this letter arives))

My King

As You surely noticed, there wasn't much to be heard about me in the last years. Obviously, I was scared by the assassinations all over our court and didn't want to become the next target. But now, I'm an old man and all I want is that my son can be fully integrated on the court by the day I pass away. Thus, I kindly ask You if he can become an official noble under the crown of Aragon. I have always served humbly under your rule and even educated the once-young Prince, as You surely can remember.

Regarding the rumors that I've come across, one says that Your health isn't the best. I found a man named Alexander in the newly subjugated territory of the Byzantines who, as the only man I've come across during my long travels under the crown, might be able to cure you of your menatal/physical illnes. If you wish to, I will send him with the next ship right to Valencia so he can start doing his work. Do not worry about his loyality, I personally checked him of it and he was one of those who accepted the new, Aragonese rule with humbleness.

On a side note, I wanted to ask you how long we can still be able to press our claim on Murcia and if you'd allow me or my fellow diplomat to forge a new one should the old one expire.

Your loyal subject
Joseph von Thun
Diplomat

It passed some time. Francesco believed to have established a stable enough trade network between Aragon and his connections in North Italy. He usually departs from Lucca where goods from Tuscany arrive, then reaching Genoa to buy additional things, then he sails to Aragon and sells what he manages in the City Market of Barcellona, then he buys some Aragonese stuff around which could have a potential market in Italy. But he started to think he could attempt to try an ulterior step. He knew Catalonian well enough at that point, and to his ears arrived news of the recent internal events of the kingdom which could been useful for his future affairs. So he returned to the Consulate to propose a deal...

Esteemed members of the Consulate of the Sea of Barcelona,

It's been a time we have a correct relation through my constant exchanges of goods from the city to Italy, and viceversa. But I sense I could be now more useful for you now that I mastered your language.

You surely will recognize the commercial fluxes of Aragon are dominated by the trade hub of Genoa, where arrives goods from the Eastern Mediterranean to going towards France or Iberia towards Cadiz. Even by controlling the Tago estuary, Aragon is nothing more than a land of passage for the international trade.

I can offer you the possibility to revert in fact this situation. From the moment almost all your crown lands are in the sphere of influence of Genoa, why don't make so Aragon will become the dominant player in the trade exchanges doing in Genoa? It would allow you to gain a considerable amount of money, while selling better your goods in that market.

Humbly, I can propose myself as mediator between Aragon, Genoa, and the remnant Italian and French cities in the Genoese sphere of influence. I am an Italian and in cordial relations with the Genoese after all. Sure, I will continue to cure my personal interests after all, considering this is a position which would bring me to continue travelling around Western Mediterranean. Maybe it could be an opportunity to be also a trusting messanger for the Crown for the Italian countries, and the Pope as well. However, I am willing to make a oath to serve the Crown of Aragon first and above all.

If you need to discuss of this with the court, I am willing to donate His Majesty the finest goods of my stock so to convince him.

Anyway, I am willing to work in other places as you and the Court will consider more advantageous for Aragon.

Waiting for a ponderate decision from your side,

Francesco Guinigi, merchant of the Repubblica of Lucca

((Basically, I am advocating to become a official merchant of the Crown to be settled eventually at the Genoa hub))

Your Grace,

Due to your response I have decided to take the cloth instead of living a life of begging in uninterested courts. While I hope one day to return to Modena by the grace of almighty God, my soul is weary, my family powerless and poor, my son too young to understand our desperate situation. Hopefully one day he will sit on the throne of Modena and Salerno. As a commend my life to God and the Dominican Order, I hope I may serve the crown and its goals. Maybe as a confessor to your grace? For now I struggle to learn these Iberian tongues at the Leyre Monastery in Navarre.

Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare
Giuliano D'Este, Duke of Modena, Margrave of Reggio, Friar of the Order of Saint Dominic
And my son Alfonso D'Este young baron of the Castillo di San Giorgio.

((I'll add you to clergy then, although I don't think they often accepted married men with children, Borgia excluded. :p))

Joseph von Thun starred at the map of the known world in his chamber and at the marks where he was sent to already by the two Kings he served under. He had seen most of the mediterranean already, having been sent to the Ottomans to declare war, to the Neapolitaneans to ease tensions, to Venice to do just the same. He even educated the once-young prince Alfons in the ways of diplomacy... but still, he was unsatisfied. The one province he wanted for his one and only son, Stefano, the province of Murcia in Iberia, was still held by the unworthy Castilians.

Because of the growing assassin faction in Aragon, he had to be silent on court so he would not become the next target. Appearently, it worked since the only man in dark clothes he saw was Alfons himself back when he taught him. But now, with his growing age, he had to start speaking up again. His own health meant nothing if his line would die out due to the crown of Aragon stopping regarding the Noble House Von Thun with kindness.

Since the almost-succesful assassination of the King, who was almost like a father to Joseph, age differences aside, and the rumors about the decreasing health of His Majesty, he had begun to search for worthy doctors on his diplomatic missions. Back when he offered the Byzantines the peace treaty, he finally found a man named Alexander who was a medicinal genius. Maybe, the King's health could be rised again with this man...

((A letter to the King Joan II, or to Prince Alfons if he is not able to read at the time this letter arives))

My King

As You surely noticed, there wasn't much to be heard about me in the last years. Obviously, I was scared by the assassinations all over our court and didn't want to become the next target. But now, I'm an old man and all I want is that my son can be fully integrated on the court by the day I pass away. Thus, I kindly ask You if he can become an official noble under the crown of Aragon. I have always served humbly under your rule and even educated the once-young Prince, as You surely can remember.

Regarding the rumors that I've come across, one says that Your health isn't the best. I found a man named Alexander in the newly subjugated territory of the Byzantines who, as the only man I've come across during my long travels under the crown, might be able to cure you of your menatal/physical illnes. If you wish to, I will send him with the next ship right to Valencia so he can start doing his work. Do not worry about his loyality, I personally checked him of it and he was one of those who accepted the new, Aragonese rule with humbleness.

On a side note, I wanted to ask you how long we can still be able to press our claim on Murcia and if you'd allow me or my fellow diplomat to forge a new one should the old one expire.

Your loyal subject
Joseph von Thun
Diplomat

((Private letter to Joseph von Thun))

If this Greek can help my father, then send him to Valencia immediately. As for a title of nobility, do not be foolish. Do you think that we hand out titles like party favours at court? We'd become infested by foreign lords if that happened. Do not bother me or my father with such matters.

- Prince Alfons de Trastámara

((Just because Alfons said no, doesn't mean Joan won't when he's more lucid. Be patient. ;)))

It passed some time. Francesco believed to have established a stable enough trade network between Aragon and his connections in North Italy. He usually departs from Lucca where goods from Tuscany arrive, then reaching Genoa to buy additional things, then he sails to Aragon and sells what he manages in the City Market of Barcellona, then he buys some Aragonese stuff around which could have a potential market in Italy. But he started to think he could attempt to try an ulterior step. He knew Catalonian well enough at that point, and to his ears arrived news of the recent internal events of the kingdom which could been useful for his future affairs. So he returned to the Consulate to propose a deal...

Esteemed members of the Consulate of the Sea of Barcelona,

It's been a time we have a correct relation through my constant exchanges of goods from the city to Italy, and viceversa. But I sense I could be now more useful for you now that I mastered your language.

You surely will recognize the commercial fluxes of Aragon are dominated by the trade hub of Genoa, where arrives goods from the Eastern Mediterranean to going towards France or Iberia towards Cadiz. Even by controlling the Tago estuary, Aragon is nothing more than a land of passage for the international trade.

I can offer you the possibility to revert in fact this situation. From the moment almost all your crown lands are in the sphere of influence of Genoa, why don't make so Aragon will become the dominant player in the trade exchanges doing in Genoa? It would allow you to gain a considerable amount of money, while selling better your goods in that market.

Humbly, I can propose myself as mediator between Aragon, Genoa, and the remnant Italian and French cities in the Genoese sphere of influence. I am an Italian and in cordial relations with the Genoese after all. Sure, I will continue to cure my personal interests after all, considering this is a position which would bring me to continue travelling around Western Mediterranean. Maybe it could be an opportunity to be also a trusting messanger for the Crown for the Italian countries, and the Pope as well. However, I am willing to make a oath to serve the Crown of Aragon first and above all.

If you need to discuss of this with the court, I am willing to donate His Majesty the finest goods of my stock so to convince him.

Anyway, I am willing to work in other places as you and the Court will consider more advantageous for Aragon.

Waiting for a ponderate decision from your side,

Francesco Guinigi, merchant of the Repubblica of Lucca

((Basically, I am advocating to become a official merchant of the Crown to be settled eventually at the Genoa hub))

((Well unfortunately our merchant positions are full, so you'll have to wait for one of the other merchants to die off or give up their spot first.))

1464-1468 – A Crisis Emerges

With King Joan II bedridden, most of his duties were handled by his son, Prince Alfons. The man, now in his thirties, was undeniably a capable administrator, but his rough exterior rubbed people the wrong way. Despite the teachings by Diplomat Joseph von Thun, Alfons had never mastered the subtleties of diplomacy. At least he was not afraid to tackle Aragon’s enemies head on. As acting Chancellor, he declared the Ottomans an official rival the kingdom, and as long as they held land in Greece and remained heathens, that would continue to be so. If the Ottomans had a problem with it, they’d face Aragonese steel soon enough.

As Grand Admiral, Alfons kept with his plan and ordered the construction of six galleys for the navy. This would help Aragon catch up with the Ottomans and progress them towards dominance in the Mediterranean.

The passing of the Petition to Heal the Great Schism caused a great stir as Aragon used its newfound power over the Greeks to bring them into the fold. It took months of debate between the two sides before their leadership acquiesced and accepted the true faith. The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople even travelled to Rome to formally embrace the Pope as head of the Christian faith. The fact that the Orthodox faith continued on in the Russian steppes was ignored. That also didn’t change the fact that most of the population in Greece was still Orthodox and was not so willing to accept a change in faith like their leaders. The situation was tense at first, with the threat of Byzantium revolting against Aragonese domination. To alleviate tensions, Prince Alfons arranged for his brother, Prince Ferran ((Not the Ferran that has been mentioned already)), to return to court after travelling across Europe and to marry a Greek princess. It was hoped that this would appease those in Byzantium. It seemed to have worked for now.

While most eyes were eastwards on the situation in Greece, Prince Alfons ordered Diplomat Renato de Abruzzi to sneak into Marriya and find any evidence of Aragonese claims on the province. If they did not exist, then he was to make them. It was expected to take a year to accomplish this task.

The quality of iron being mined in Aragon was at an all-time low, leading to inferior weapons and armour for the army. Marshal Carlos de Leon worked with the Grandmaster to arrange for a shipment of foreign iron, but such raised the costs for recruitments. All of it was necessary for the good of the realm.

After some consultation with Ioannes Kontostephanos and at the recommendation of Steward Arturo de Valencia, Prince Alfons agreed to allow the Greeks greater autonomy. It was believed that this would please those in Byzantium who did not like that Aragon held land in Greece. If the Greeks were allowed more say in their governance, everyone was happy.

In August of 1464, King Louis XI of France passed away. Prince Alfons attended the funeral with his wife, Catherine, who was very distraught at the loss of a family member. Alfons was more preoccupied with the lack of heirs his wife was producing. A future king needed an heir.

The matter of heretics and heathens had been in debate for a long time. Any attempt to convert them had met with failure. Prince Alfons did not appreciate their resilience. Attempts had been made to revive the Inquisition to deal with these unbelievers, but had not been met entirely with success. An inquisitor was hired by the Prince as the first step. This inquisitor, Jules Teyssier, joined missionaries in Epirus in the hopes of converting the populace with a little extra persuasion.

In April of 1465, Diplomat Renato de Abruzzi returned with a forged claim on Marriya, but Alfons had more work for him to do. Alfons wanted a claim on Garnatah too. He would not be satisfied until all of Granada belonged to Aragon. However, Alfons was too impatient to wait a year for the diplomat to complete his work. In October, he issued a declaration of war to Granada. Portugal agreed to aid Aragon, but Granada was all alone.

The Aragonese fleet had already been sent to wait outside of Marriya with General Lino Adrià María de Agramunt and 6,000 men onboard. With the declaration of war, he and the army landed ashore undisputed. A second army under command of General Sebastián de Loarre was shipped over soon after.

With a smooth landing, it seemed clear that Marriya would soon fall under Aragonese control. The real question was whether or not Garnatah would be the same. The Portuguese were marching through Castile and it was feared that if they reached the province first, they would besiege and claim the province. General de Agramunt took the initiative and marched on the province. He pushed his men to the limit and arrived a day before the Portuguese. He took command of the allied forces in a battle against the Granadans. They didn’t stand a chance. In the meantime, Marriya fell, allowing General de Loarre to join the ensuing siege.

The kingdom was also facing an identity crisis of sorts. The realm contained so many different peoples and cultures spanning the Mediterranean and no one was sure what path Aragon should take. Some believed Aragon was destined to deal the death blow to the heathens of North Africa. Others saw the kingdom as a military power to be feared. Some had even suggested that Aragon look west and attempt to find a path to India. Whatever the case, Aragon needed to figure out an idea for how the nation would proceed.

Marshal Carlos de Leon, under the direction of Prince Alfons, began replacing the mercenary regiments still in the armies in Melilla and Greece with normal recruits to save on expenses.

Venice threatened Greece further when they annexed both their vassals Corfu and Naxos in a short period of time. Venice clearly had no intention of leaving Greece. Tensions were sure to heighten.

In December of 1466, Garnatah fell. Knowing that Aragon was soon going to control the southern coast of Iberia, Castile embargoed Aragon, a petty move as seen by many. It didn’t change things though. Granada was annexed and their treasury emptied. Aragon had finished the Reconquista where the Castilians had failed, a great matter of pride for the people of Aragon.

At the news of Aragon’s victory, King Joan II finally found the strength to appear in court. He was frail and walked with the slow pace of an old man, but he was not as sickly as he once was. The doctor that Diplomat Joseph von Thun had asked to come over from Byzantium had greatly helped the King’s condition. In thanks, Joan II officially declared von Thun a lord of the realm. He did not hold any land, but he was now a noble of Aragon. Prince Alfons was not please by his father’s choice, but had little power to do anything about it now that Joan was managing the kingdom again.

The next year was peaceful for a change as the plan to remove the mercenaries from the army and replace them with loyal Aragonese men continued with the rest of the army. Steward Arturo de Valencia allowed the local authorities in the newly conquered lands more autonomy to ease the transition to Aragonese rule. They did not want a revolt after all. General de Loarre remained behind at the fort in Granada to watch over the population.

In May of 1467, the Pope died and was replaced by another Frenchman. It was clear that the French had a stranglehold on the Papacy with five cardinals to Aragon’s one. Some even suspected that there were those within the Holy See who were preventing Aragon from gaining a greater presence in the Holy See. Cardinal Fernando de Vascona was viewed as a reformer by some, since he spoken out against corruption and decadence that existed in some parts of the Church. The fact that he was ignored for the Papacy perhaps meant that was true in some regards.

With the kingdom holding land all over the Mediterranean and the army in Aragon now split between Valencia and Granada, King Joan II ordered that two infantry regiments and one cavalry regiment be recruited to bolster the forces in Valencia. A cog was also constructed for the navy so that this larger army could fit on the transport fleet.

1468 brought troubles for Byzantium as peasants rose up against the Emperor. Many did not approve of Aragon’s dominance of the Empire and the change in religion, so they wanted the Empire free of influence again. General Luigi Castelozzi was having none of this. He marched his army over into Achaea, and with the assistance of the Byzantine army, crushed the peasant rebellion.

An effective administration was established in Almeria in May, although the population of the former Granadan capital were much more resistant. This may have been a result of change in attitude in the capital. Many of the lords and ladies, seeing Aragon conquer land all over the Mediterranean were taking the kingdom’s strength for granted. People stopped paying attention to what was going on outside the kingdom while the nobility lavished themselves with extravagance. Prince Alfons, on several occasions, accused the nobility of being lazy and fat. No wonder he felt as though he needed to run the kingdom alone.

On 27 August 1468, King Joan II passed away in his sleep. As Joan’s heir, Alfons was crowned King Alfons VI, with his brother Ferran as his heir. ((Despite the same stats as the original Ferran, this Ferran is younger.)) He arranged a grand funeral for his father, and it was probably the only time anyone had ever seen Alfons cry. However, he quickly took up his role, dismissing the entire Council, excluding the Court Chaplain and Viceroys, by reasserting his right as king. He intended to rule with an iron fist, but he would ensure that Aragon reached true greatness. All those who aided his efforts would be rewarded, while those who stood in his way were destined to be crushed. Whether or not people felt that Alfons’s rough approach would work was soon to be tested.

Presenting His Majesty, King Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks. ((Diligent, Paranoid, Cruel))

Welcome, my subjects. It is unfortunate that my father, the great Joan II, left this mortal coil. He did more for the kingdom and the Catholic faith than most could ever dream of. I only hope to keep his legacy alive, and I will do all that is necessary to accomplish that. The key to accomplishing that is a strong rule, and a strong rule requires that nothing can dispute its right to rule. While I am rightful king, and all those who think otherwise are fools, I am not unaware of the threat that exists out there. That bastard Ferran threatens my birthright and I will not tolerate it. Thus I send out this order to all my subjects: I want Ferran dead. Find the bastard and bring me his head. Your king has spoken.

A week later letters arrive en-masse at court addressed from Ferran:

Word has reached me that my cousin, the so-called King Alfons VI, wants me dead. I have spent four years away from court, four years in exile because I did not want to threaten my beloved uncle’s rule. He was always the rightful king in my eyes. I never wanted the crown, because it was not mine to take. Despite all this, Alfons still believes I’m out to get him. Perhaps he should consider that fact that his right to the throne is not threatened because of my existence, but because of himself. He is cruel and vindictive, a menace that has turned some of his own people against him. Despite what I have said about not wanting the throne, these people would rather force me on it than see Alfons sit upon it. Well it is clear that I can no longer stand by, since my head is now on the line. I held back because of my uncle, but he is here no longer. If the people of Aragon do not want a tyrant for a king, I will step in and save them. I therefore dispute Alfons’s right to the throne and press my claim as the son of Alfons V. I admit, the idea of being king is enticing due to the power and wealth involved, but I do not do this for personal gain. Alfons is not what is best for Aragon. Perhaps I am not either, but I am surely better than him. I hate to do this, for it will mean war for Aragon, but I must do what is necessary. Those who do not wish to see the tyrant Alfons VI rule Aragon are welcome to join me and crown me king of Aragon. May the kingdom be spared from his reign of tyranny.

- Ferran de Trastámara

((We now have a succession crisis on our hands. Both Alfons and Ferran are claiming the throne. You all now get the option to choose who is king. You will vote on your chosen successor in this format:

Succession: Alfons/Ferran/Neutral

Be warned that your decision will have consequences. If you join the losing side, the winner gets to decide your fate. You could be imprisoned or even executed. Also no one is allowed to change their votes once they have declared for one side. If I catch anyone changing or editing their votes, they will be executed as traitors. Be warned. You may declare yourself as neutral at first and then choose one side later on in the vote, but not once you’ve picked one of the successors. Those who declare early are more likely to be favoured by their chosen successor if they win. This vote will also be unique in that each class will impact the outcome differently. The total vote will decide the ultimate winner, but the support of each class will determine how successful they are. The less one-sided the vote is, the more likely something bad will happen. A split vote will have consequences. Keep that in mind.

Since this is a very important vote, you will have until Tuesday at 12pm PST to pick a side. Include you character name and class as always. You are free to roleplay your part in the succession crisis before then, but the outcome will be entirely decided by the vote, so don’t go writing major victories or anything just in case your successor loses badly.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
I pledge support for... No one. As much as I hate that traitor (supporter of Ferran) who sent that assassin, I cannot allow myself to get entangled in the politics of the court until I come of age.

Presenting His Majesty, King Alfons VI de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks. ((Diligent, Paranoid, Cruel))

Welcome, my subjects. It is unfortunate that my father, the great Joan II, left this mortal coil. He did more for the kingdom and the Catholic faith than most could ever dream of. I only hope to keep his legacy alive, and I will do all that is necessary to accomplish that. The key to accomplishing that is a strong rule, and a strong rule requires that nothing can dispute its right to rule. While I am rightful king, and all those who think otherwise are fools, I am not unaware of the threat that exists out there. That bastard Ferran threatens my birthright and I will not tolerate it. Thus I send out this order to all my subjects: I want Ferran dead. Find the bastard and bring me his head. Your king has spoken.

Moncada-Spain.jpg

As soon as he hears of the conflicting declarations of the rightful Monarch and the traitor, En Bernat is the first to raise his retainers and join King Alfons, declaring his firm support for the Crown

"Your Majesty,

Until my heart beats and until I can hold a sword, I would protect your Divine Right to rule and lawful prerogatives against any usurpers or claimants. A King rules by the Grace of God and the sacred right of succession - and the Throne should not be besmirched by a spoiled child of sin, a child of a lusty affair and not a holy matrimony, who has, for a long time, been plotting to seize the Crown. A bastard trying to unseat the Monarch is a insult to Heavens and to people"

- En Bernat de Moncada, Lord Count of Girona

Succession crisis: Alfons

A letter to Ferran de Trastámara is sent
jgJpX4h.png

My king!
I was always in favour of you and as such I will support you. I have spoken will all of my kins and as such I declare that most of de Valencia family is supporting your claim to the throne. We will stay on your side no matter the cost. If we will be executed by the tyrant that Alfons is so be it! We will proudly fight for you, and we will hand your banners over Zaragoza. If you would like to I will gladly give my castle to you for the time of the crisis to serve as your capital. All of my forces have been issued new uniforms to represent which side our house is supporting. We will either die as traitor, or see You as our rightful king. I will not tolerate the rule of Alfons. The years that I worked as the steward of the real gave me plenty of experience with the tyrant, when the kingdom was under his govern. And seeing how he has more power matters will only get worse. All the peasants will surely rebel, not to mention the oppressed Greeks, Berbers, and the people of Grenada. Not to mention all the Italians under our rule. They will surely not take lightly the exploitation. And I'm sure even if someone will support him, they will only do so because the fear of him. I don't belive anyone would ever support that monster if he was sane.Even if we will be the only ones, there is no turning back, we are your loyal vassals to the end. So we shall march proudly forward bearing your name as the name of out king!
Your friend, supporter, and "traitor" to the "king" of Aragon,
Arturo de Velencia, count of Zaragoza

Support: Ferran [Landed Noble]

Last edited:
To the rightful king of Aragon, Alfons:

I have always been a loyal servant of the crown, and I shall never support that traitorous Ferran! You are the rightful heir to the throne, your claim backed by God and your own father. You have my backing, Your Highness.

Succession Crisis: Alfons

~Carlos de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Duke Tomas Etxeto of Pamplona, head of House Etxeto
For Alfons

Count Matthais was distraught, his true king was dead, and now the stability of the realm resided in the hands of the few.

He became recluse and a drunk,even his wife or their most endearing children couldn't rouse him fom his chambers. If a servant came to the door, he'd bid them in, showing at least some lucidity existed beneath this surface of a mad man, allowing them to sit, eat and talk with him, and bid them well,this been his families only indicator of his sustained existence, but as soon as they left, he'd throw the knife he'd just been eating with into, with horrifying accuracy, the just closed wooden door.

In time, the drink and isolation took its toll, he was haggard, a mere facade of what he once was, his once fine long brown hair, shawn awkwardly with his attempts to cut it, bloodshot eyes, from both drink and sleeplessness, and a general defeated air about his person, from the haphazard jacket placement around his shoulders, to the slumped way he walked.

But suddenly he saw clarity and sense and, remarkably quickly for one who seemed so gone, quickly resolved his mind on what his course of action would be. He was set to withhold judgement until he saw fit, it was most unwise to stick your neck forward first he reasoned. And so it was, he became as normal, but kept he and his family safely in the walls of Castelleo de Pirineo, to hold out this political storm. He'd return, he hoped, once the judged heir was sat on his throne, but only then, as he wanted to inform his son of what had befallen at court, so as his legacy could learn, but he was too young to head into the court and be able to grasp the connivving and complex plays of power that would surely be occurring at the court. And so it was until the period of the two kings was passed.

An account on the days of sorrow of Count Matthias de Soneta (Landed Noble), by one of his handmaids, by the name of Clarissia.

Last edited:
hjcEWcy.png

That there can be men of such loose moral character, such disloyal, conniving individuals in the court of Aragon is disheartening indeed. As God instructed Abraham to banish Ishmael from his house, for he had a rightful heir, so his royal majesty, Joan banished Ferran from this house.

The bastard - let us not forget that, he is an illegitimate child born of a sinful union - claims to be acting for the good of the realm. Well I call him false. If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Therefore if Ferran wishes to divide this kingdom against itself, he wishes to tear this kingdom down.

In the memory of his most magnificent Majesty, King Joan, defender of christendom, by all the laws of God and men Alfons VI of the house of Trastamara is the indisputable ruler of this realm of the crowns of Aragon and Naples. Let all who deny him suffer the wrath of God.

Alejandro Sastre
Bishop of Valencia

Support: His Majesty, Alfons VI

[Landed Clergy]

Last edited: