• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What do you want--I mean, who's there?

Alfons opens the door to the Bishop and the chirurgeon.

Oh, it's you. This must be the chir-whatever that Father spoke of. Is he going to teach me to cut up a corpse or something exciting like that?

- Alfons de Trastàmara

Chirurgeon. Yes, that's exactly what he is going to do. The body is God's creation and has many marvels within it.
To the chirurgeon who was hovering nervously in the doorway, his face now the colour of porridge. Come in man, stop loitering and explain to His Highness what you will be teaching him.

The chirurgeon stumbled and stuttered his way through a basic explanation of dissecting a pig.

Well then I shall leave you to your... studies. Sastre turned to leave. Ah one more thing before I go, may I advise your highness that some more menial activities can be left to minions. Preferably minions that have been recruited by other minions. This way you can avoid responsibility being traced to yourself. You can also have eyes and ears in many places simultaneously.

Chirurgeon. Yes, that's exactly what he is going to do. The body is God's creation and has many marvels within it.
To the chirurgeon who was hovering nervously in the doorway, his face now the colour of porridge. Come in man, stop loitering and explain to His Highness what you will be teaching him.

The chirurgeon stumbled and stuttered his way through a basic explanation of dissecting a pig.

Well then I shall leave you to your... studies. Sastre turned to leave. Ah one more thing before I go, may I advise your highness that some more menial activities can be left to minions. Preferably minions that have been recruited by other minions. This way you can avoid responsibility being traced to yourself. You can also have eyes and ears in many places simultaneously.

Alfons listened to the bishop's words carefully. This man was much more than he seemed. He could use a man like that.

Perhaps you could impart more of your wise advice in the future. I'm certain it could be of great use to me, and so could you once I become king.

Alfons let a grin spread across his face, one that made the chirurgeon noticeably shiver.

- Alfons de Trastámara

((Private conversation with King Joan II))
My King

Rumor has reached me in Naples that your son, the future King of Aragon, has come to the court. Other, more shadowy and foggy rumor, even reached me that said that he was a tyrannical person. And worst of all, rumor has reached me that there is a faction in court that wants to make him abdict should he ever come to power. With such impossible news, I decided to return to court for a couple of days to talk to you, Majesty.

Since it might be dangerous for the young prince in Aragon currently, I wanted to ask You if You were willing to let him come with me, in disguise, of course, so I could teach him a little about diplomacy - so such rumors could never rise again - to show him the other part of the realm he's sure to rule over one day, and - most importantly - to keep him out of harms way. Of course I know that the palace is one of the safest places in our kingdom, but I'm sure you can agree that the safest spot has always been and will always be the disguise.

Should you doubt my loyality, then please decline. I won't be offended. But those rumors seemed trustworthy. I just want the best for Your son.

((Don't forget though, he's not just a diplomat but has already worked as a spy when forging that claim, so you'd think he's capable of far different tasks than just plain ol' diplomacy :p))

As usual, talking to you was a great pleasure.

- Joseph von Thun, diplomat

((Private conversation with King Joan II))
My King

Rumor has reached me in Naples that your son, the future King of Aragon, has come to the court. Other, more shadowy and foggy rumor, even reached me that said that he was a tyrannical person. And worst of all, rumor has reached me that there is a faction in court that wants to make him abdict should he ever come to power. With such impossible news, I decided to return to court for a couple of days to talk to you, Majesty.

Since it might be dangerous for the young prince in Aragon currently, I wanted to ask You if You were willing to let him come with me, in disguise, of course, so I could teach him a little about diplomacy - so such rumors could never rise again - to show him the other part of the realm he's sure to rule over one day, and - most importantly - to keep him out of harms way. Of course I know that the palace is one of the safest places in our kingdom, but I'm sure you can agree that the safest spot has always been and will always be the disguise.

Should you doubt my loyality, then please decline. I won't be offended. But those rumors seemed trustworthy. I just want the best for Your son.

((Don't forget though, he's not just a diplomat but has already worked as a spy when forging that claim, so you'd think he's capable of far different tasks than just plain ol' diplomacy :p))

As usual, talking to you was a great pleasure.

- Joseph von Thun, diplomat

((Private conversation with Joseph von Thun))

A faction wanting the future abdication of our son? We have never heard of such a ridiculous thing. Still, it is clear that our son lacks the tact required to interact with his future subjects. We fear he with only succeed in angering those who serve him if he continues down this path. You have shown yourself an able diplomat and perhaps you are exactly what we need for him. Teach him the ways of diplomacy as you see fit and show him the realm he will one day rule. He will be stubborn about it, but be patient. We are certain that in time he will learn what it means to be king.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples, and Navarra

You've been generous to me as was your brother, may he rest in peace. It's good that Aragon was born such a generous and wise King.

*Joseph walks off to get his stuff together again so he could depart when Joan wanted him to*

- Joseph von Thun

((I totally forgot to post the results of the vote at noon. My bad. :p Anyway, here are the results. Also, it should be noted that for the Grand Admiral's Plan, I will not be separating the fleet as suggested to hand over transports to the army since that falls outside the powers of the Grand Admiral. I will merely being taking the suggested ship ratio and adding transports. The Military Provision Act also only applies as long as Joan II is king.))

Chancellor's Plan: Passed (Amendment)
Steward's Plan: Passed (Amendment)
Treasurer's Plan: Passed
Grandmaster's Plan: Passed
Marshal's Plan: Passed
Grand Admiral's Plan: Passed
Court Chaplain's Plan: Passed
Viceroy of Naples' Plan: Passed
Viceroy of Navarra's Plan: Passed

Temple Act: Passed
Military Provision Act: Passed
The Shield of Saint Peter Act: Passed
Illa Estatègic Act (Strategic Island Act): Passed

Mission: Manpower
Catalan Culture: No

Last edited:
Reactions:
c1787768edd9bed0eefe73c9b9f77b05.png

Don Ferran read through the Neapolitan’s letter once more, his thumb pressed against his lips – his teeth tapped against the edge of his nail. It was true that a nobleman such as he was not the most likely of men to serve amongst mercenaries, and perhaps it was also true that a new job would present itself in due time. However, with the war over his income had dropped drastically, and his paltry estates were under increasingly great pressure from the debtors. They were as of yet a small concern, but unless attained a new source of income, he would soon be in the exact place he was two years ago. After musing on the matter for an hour or so, he wrote a brief letter to his mother bidding her farewell, and set off to join the Bastard of Naples in his Italian exploits.

1448-1451 – A Needy Ally

The recent war with Castile had taken the lives of many young men in Aragon. One of the first things King Joan II did after convening a meeting with his court was to lower the recruitment for the army to help alleviate the burden on the population. He had a long way to go. 11,000 men were still needed to fill the ranks of the army and he’d need twice that many in reserve. At least Joan II had help with these matters. The passing of the Military Provision Act meant that more focus was placed on military matters amongst the Council, who would handle such issues. ((National focus has been placed on military))

In economic matters, Joan II made several efforts to revitalize trade and get more ducats flowing into the treasury. Plenty of time and energy was expended into building up production of copper in Cagliari and silk in Teruel as part of the Artisan Support Act. ((All our 3+ trade goods are now at 5 production)) Joan had also sent word to Navarra that they were not expected to contribute any troops to future war efforts in exchange for increased taxation, which the new vassal agreed to. ((Scutage has been enabled))

Not everything was going so smoothly though. Many families were hit hard by the loss of loved ones in the Castilian War. The king did not want them to continue suffering. He lowered the tax rate for the next five years to help give people time to recover their livelihood, an act that won him much favour. This was quickly offset by his treatment towards the peasants who complained about abuse from their lords. Some even dared to suggest the formation of a peasants’ guild. Joan II, not wanting to lose the support of his nobles, decided it was best to ignore the peasant rabble. This led to rebellion instead.

The three Aragonese armies were each dispatched to the rebellious provinces to handle the peasant armies. The peasants in Girona were dispersed first by General Jaume Cristòfor. General Lino Adrià María de Agramunt next freed up the capital. The two went to converge on Barcelona where the final battle was occurring. Before they arrived, General Felipé de Alvaro was forced to retreat after his cavalry force was ambushed and slaughtered. This was a great embarrassment to the once proud general. Only the interference of the former Marshal and Navarran forces put down the rebellion for good. The bad news was that now the army needed a good 15,000 men to replenish its ranks.

The new Treasurer, John Kendall, had suggested searching for some advisors, but the type he would have liked could not be found in Aragon or the nearby countries. The king, however, approved the hiring of a diplomatic advisor named Hug Ametller from Barcelona, who was an exceptionally affectionate man, to help handle diplomatic affairs.

After the recent rebellions, King Joan II took more interest in local government. He usually relied on his trusted nobles to govern provinces for him, but he was finding that not always were they doing things the way he liked. He conducted a thorough investigation and rooted out all the problem areas.

As promised, Joan II also focused attention on the Papal State. A diplomat was dispatched to smooth over relations with the Pope. There were rumours that Cardinal de Vascona desired the Papacy and Joan II certainly wanted to improve his odds. Positive relations with the Pope also seemed even more important with the heathens growing stronger. The Ottomans annexed Albania in the Balkans, a sad day for Christians everywhere.

In October of 1448, war broke out in Italy as Milan declared war on Switzerland. Ferran de Trastámara had joined the Condottieri in Italy by then and joined the war for Milan. He was accompanied by Ferran Perez de Cabrera, a noble from Aragan. Both men were looking for fame and fortune. Ferran hoped more than anything to make a name for himself. Being labelled a bastard his whole life put a major chip on his shoulder and a need to prove himself. Collecting a lot of loot in the process was a big plus too.

The Muslim world was stirred up a bit as the Mamluks declared the tiny state of Ramazan a vassal, securing a position in Anatolia.

Marshal Carlos de Leon ordered a reordering of the army to help alleviate manpower problems. Seven regiments of infantry were disbanded in total, leaving only 6,000 more men needed to replace the lost cavalry. The army was now undersized at 20 regiments of the recommended 25, but it’d need time to recover first before it could be brought back up to size.

King Joan II also wanted to tie up some loose ends after the peasant rebellions the previous year. An investigation was conducted into the loss to the rebels by General Felipé de Alvaro. Nothing came up that revealed any fault of Felipé’s for the loss, but the man’s reputation was damaged. He retired from the army shortly after. ((Sorry Robban204, the game killed off your general, but since it wasn’t in battle he has retired instead. That means there’s an open slot for a general if anyone is interested.))

Oddly enough the king’s son as Spymaster was not present to participate in the investigation. In fact, the Prince had not been seen for a year, and many questioned where he had gone. Speculation was that the king had finally had enough and sent the boy away until he had grown up. That was partly true, for Diplomat Joseph von Thun was training the boy in the ways of diplomacy by having the Prince accompany him on diplomatic missions across the kingdom and to foreign powers. Alfons showed promise. He had kept his more violent tendencies in check and seemed to be willing to learn from the diplomat. Von Thun sent a letter to the king recording his progress. He believed that the boy, while perhaps having a rough exterior, was actually quite bright and easily grasped concepts of government. If Alfons could be reined in, he could prove to be a capable king.

Joan II had not forgotten his plans for a potential war with Tunis. He met with several advisors and started drafting up a plan for a possible invasion to be held at an undisclosed time. They needed to be prepared for taking on the heathens, ideally in the next 25 years. Since Tunis was losing a war with Touggourt, it seemed like it should be earlier rather than later.

Continuing with the plans to hire more help, an administrative advisor was hired from Valencia. Joan II wanted a full court to assist his rule to ensure Aragon flourished. This of course was also costly, but Aragon could handle the increased costs for now.

In the Holy Roman Empire, Bavaria annexed Ansbach. This would come back to bite them in the backside when Austria decided to restore Ansbach several months later. Farther north, Sweden decided it was okay to be ruled from Denmark if they could have some Norwegian land.

Rumours starting circulating in August of 1450 that Cardinal de Vascona was in a good position to succeed the current Pope if he passed away. About a quarter of the Holy See supported his possible appointment.

Milan’s war against Switzerland ended in failure. Despite that, Ferran de Trastámara did well for himself. He had helped fight off a Swiss offensive, although it was only a minor battle. He’d also taken part in a raid on Swiss land, plundering a small town and taking off with the people’s wealth. Some looked down on this behaviour, but such was the life of a mercenary, especially one who loved his fair share of gold.

On 6 March 1450, Venice declared war on Byzantium. While many considered Joan II a bit of a coward, he looked forward to this war. In fact, he did not even consult the court on the matter. Invoking his kingly right ((aka the veto)), Joan II accepted the call to arms. In his mind, this fit Aragonese interests. This war could prove a chance to force Byzantium under Aragon’s guidance. Despite that, Ioannes Kontostephanos, the Byzantine refugee and nobleman, refused to speak with the king while the war was ongoing. This was a Venetian land grab, not some noble war to save Byzantium from itself. This war also had the negative effect of ruining the plans to restore the army, which could not be implemented in a state of war. ((The mission to replenish our manpower automatically failed, so we need a new one.))

A new mercenary regiment of infantry was hired in Valencia to even out the three armies so they had four infantry to three cavalry each. Unfortunately these armies could not fit on the transports possessed by the navy, so a cavalry unit was left behind. With that figured out, General Lino Adrià María de Agramunt set sail with four infantry and two cavalry regiments for Morea, where it was reported that Venetian and Neapolitan troops were already landing. It would take a few weeks to reach Greece.

The war did encourage the nobility to be a bit more generous with their wealth. Several nobles offered to help fund the war effort out of their own pockets. The money immediately went towards paying off Aragon’s last remaining loan.

In August, a Tunisian spy was caught in the Baleares attempting to forge several documents that would claim that the Sultan possessed ties to the islands. The heathen spy was immediately executed.

By the time General de Agramunt reached Greece, the Venetians had already taken Morea and Achaea. Apparently the Byzantines had made the mistake of not manning the fort in Morea in time. The general moved onto Athens instead, while Admiral Leonardo de Abruzzi helped Aragon’s allies dispatch the Byzantine navy. The war also gave Aragon the opportunity to test out the use of pikemen, something that had been contemplated against Castile but was not implemented until now.

Worrying news reached court when a Castilian spy was caught in Barcelona, practically committing the same act Joseph von Thun had been caught doing before in Murcia. The spy was tossed out, although not executed so as to prevent angering Castile. The greater fear was that this meant Aragon’s neighbour was preparing for war. Perhaps a defensive alliance with Portugal wouldn’t be so bad after all.

In December of 1450, Venice decided that it did not have the patience to siege Constantinople and instead forced Byzantium to pay a war reparation and end their overlordship of Athens. Joan II was displeased by this outcome, since Aragon got nothing out of it. If they wanted to bring the Byzantines in under their rule, they’d need to start another war at a later date themselves.

Word from England arrived that the House of York had won the War of the Roses. That news seemed unimportant with the country losing the war with Scotland and France. France had taken all but Calais on the continent and was working on that last province. Scotland had lost Fife, but was still holding out.

Tunis managed to pull off a victory against Tlemcen, but it seemed minor with Touggourt occupying parts of their country. Joan II hoped that Tunis’s neighbour crushed them so that Aragon could go in and conquer the heathens. Speaking of heathens, the Mamluks added Fezzan to their list of vassals. The eastern heathens were clearly growing stronger.

In early December of 1451, Venice sent another call to arms to Aragon. Instead of fighting some small power like the Byzantines, this time they planned to take on the Ottomans. The idea admittedly frightened Joan II. The Ottomans were a major threat. The point of the Venetian alliance had been to potentially use their combined naval might to take on the heathen Ottomans together, so perhaps this was the chance to do that. Joan II did not particularly like that Venice led the war effort. They could forget Aragon again in the peace. Then again, Tunis was allied to the Ottomans and this could prove an opportunity to take land from them. If Venice recognized Aragon’s claim forged on Tunis’s land, perhaps they could get a province out of them. There was much to consider and the court had to be consulted on the matter.

Presenting His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples, and Navarra. ((Diligent, Content, Craven))

We wish to bring before you an urgent matter. The Venetians, our allies, have declared war on the heathen Ottomans. This is both a war of great danger and possibility. Aragon may not be ready for this war, but this could also be a chance to crush the heathens before they grow too strong. We wish to consult the court on whether we should join our allies against our hated enemy.

We also realize that our plans to restore the army have failed and we must consider a new plan. Perhaps we should focus on improving our international reputation. We could always try to influence papal politics to further the Aragonese agenda in the Holy See. Or maybe just trying to fill up the treasury would do for now. We will leave it up to all of you to help us decide our next course of action.

((Okay, we’ll be holding two votes: one on whether or not to honour the call to arms from Venice against the Ottomans and Tunis and what our new mission should be. Ministers may present any wartime plans in case of war, which do not require a vote. If we choose to not go to war, I will continue on using existing plans, since I only made it less than 4 years before I was forced to stop, although ministers can propose changes if they like. Not much has changed anyway. Also sorry for not putting the Byzantine war up for the vote. I just felt that the war did fit the foreign agenda I had made and I didn’t want to stop so soon after starting. Good thing I had that veto since stopping for that useless war would have been a time-waster. :p We need to make some progress or this iAAR will never get anywhere. Anyway, here is the vote format:

Honour Venetian call-to-arms: Yes/No/Abstain
Mission: Prestige/Papal Controller/Money

The vote will be open until 12pm PST on Monday. Please bold your votes and state your character name and role in your post. If changing your vote, please make a new post. Also with Abruzzi’s early retirement, we have an opening for a general, so feel free to suggest yourself for the position. We still have a position for another diplomat if a courtier wants it. If anyone needs any more information from the game, feel free to ask.))

Last edited:
220px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta_(variant).svg.png

It has been quite some time since Ramón took the long journey to the Valencian court from his distant base in Malta. But with news of such importance being discussed in the capital, he had no choice but to come and join the talks.

"Your grace,

I believe this is the first time we meet in person. On behalf of the order, I thank you for the benevolence you showed to us. Our beloved kingdom ist at a crossroads. The question is whether or not we will support our loyal and faithful brothers and sisters in Venice to humiliate the heathen threat that seemingly swallows one Christian realm after another - the Ottoman devil. Since the order is in a constant struggle with the Berbers of Tunis and the Turkish raiders there can only be a single answer: Of course we have to strike at the very heart of their nations to show them their place! God wills it! Our cause is just and all of Christendom will celebrate our victories against this unholy foe until the time of reckoning.

The navy will play a very important role in this war - I strongly suggest to build more galleys so that we can defeat the enemy's ships wherever we find them."

Ramón ends his proposal with a passionate call for arms, that is quickly joined by the other knights of St. John that are present in the court:

Honour Venetian call-to-arms: Yes
Mission: Prestige

- Ramón de Montcada, Knight of Justice and Prelate of the Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Prior of Malta

c1787768edd9bed0eefe73c9b9f77b05.png

Don Ferran had never visited Italy; indeed, he had never Iberia until he set sail that fateful September day. The journey had been… inauspicious to say the least – it rained mightily for most of the voyage, and Don Ferran had been stricken with sickness unlike ever before. However when they made port in Genova, or Zena in its native tongue, he quickly determined that the unpleasantness of the journey had been worthwhile. As the Bastard of Naples sought out contracts, Don Ferran got a lay of the city, visiting its many cathedrals and churches, and walking along the Boccadasse (accompanied by a small retinue of course; he had little trust in mariners on land). He had a particular fondness for taking to the top of the Lanterna, and watching the various ships enter and leave the harbour, and the see the small, dark silhouettes of men and horses traverse the port with wares and goods from across the sea.

However, after but a week or so in the city, the Bastard and his party soon departed for Mila, which according to rumour was on the verge of war with the Swiss. Certain enough, only days before their arriving at the city, the Lord Visconti declared war upon his northern neighbours, and soon Ferran was engaged in yet another war. They spent but little time amongst the Milanesos, though he had just enough time to travel to the Catedral de Mila (possibly the grandest building he had seen in his life, uncompleted as it was) and get blessed by Archbishop Enrico Rampini. With this small act of piety done, he rejoined his lord and the Company of St George (to which they and their men had attached themselves to) and ventured north to fight the Swiss. They met their enemies near the village of Como and after a hard melee had repelled the Swiss invasion; Don Ferran had himself remained by the side of the Bastard, acting as his standard-bearer (referred to apparently as gonfalon amongst their Milaneso and Genoves companions) and adviser, though he was later dispatched to lead a band of Genoves crossbowmen to take a low hill on the far left of the battlefield with the hopes of raining fire down upon their enemies; whilst he had taken the hill, it seemed that the Swiss had similar intentions, and a skirmish emerged there. With some difficulty, the Swiss were repelled and, following the arrival of some extra support, the hill was fully secured. Noticing the turning tide, the Swiss conceded the field, awarded Don Ferran and the Bastard of Napols their first victory as condotierri.

Following this victory, the Bastard was given command of a cavalry force and told to begin a foray into Switzerland itself, acting both as a raiding force and a scouting party for the main force (Don Ferran himself was made a lieutenant of some 500 horsemen). Their party travelled to Locarno and from there endeavoured to raid further north; they were however repelled at Biasca, and turned their attention westwards, where they raided and pillaged the towns and farms along the Rhone (travelling as far as Sion). They ultimately received no support from the main army, which was compelled to remain near Mila itself to prevent a renewed offensive from the Swiss from winning, which they ultimately did in November of 1449; whilst their party travelled as quickly as their horses would allow, the war had ended by the time they returned to Mila. They promptly took their payment and waited for the next war to break out, though the next two years were unsettlingly quiet; Don Ferran was of half a mind to join with the Venetian invasion the Peloponnese, though a potential war breaking out in Italy itself stayed his hand (though nothing would come from the rumours). Thus, the young noble had taken to leaning the customs of his new environs, particularly in learning the language(s) of the Italians. He had also become a rather accomplished musician and dancer during these quiet days. Possibly most satisfactorily for him (seeing as he was still but a lad of nine and ten years), he had taken to courting ladies of the lower nobility, using tales of his heroism against the Spaniards and the Swiss (and perhaps overestimations of his wealth) to woo them. Whilst it was a quaint, perhaps even pleasant, existence, he still longed for another war to prove his bravery and make his fame and fortune.

Reactions:
Your Grace Joan II,
I personally feel that while we must keep the peace in Aragon, we must honour our alliance with the poweful Venetians and fight for God and country. I also feel we must focus on our Cardinal becoming Pope, as that will give us significant power.

From yours truly,
Jaume Cristofor, Count of Barcelona

Honour Venetian call-to-arms: Yes
Mission: Papal Controller

Your Majesty,
I believe we should honour the venetian call but should be careful about what moves we make towards the ottomans and should focus on annexing tunis (Yes).
We should also try to make or cardinal pope (Papal Controller).

Your Friend and Servant,
- Ramiro Vicario Bishop of Barcelona

Bernardino Venier (COURTIER)

*Bernardino thought quietly on the matter at hand. Though he was new to the court, it was no news to anyone that such a crucial war for the Venetians was of critical personal importance to him - especially with his family's island so close to the front lines. He believed Aragon joining the war was in the best interests of Venice, of course, but his loyalty was to Aragon now...*

My great King,

If you shall allow me to speak my mind on the matter, I believe that it is of the highest importance to join our great friends of Venice in their conquest. Venice fought at our side against Castile, they are a true ally of your realm, and they call for us as they acknowledge this. Without the aid of your men, my King, the Republic of Venice is sure to fold to the heathen armies.

Not only this, but it is of great strategic interest to you, too. Our navy is matched by few across the land, and this is a great opportunity to cripple the armies of Tunis. My proposals are twofold: We must land our troops in Tunis and raid their lands. Whilst this is ongoing, our ships should look to join alongside the Venetian's and take hold of the seas across Constantinople. If we can sever such a link between the Turk's forces then success shall be within our grasp. Forgive me if I have no right to speak on such matters of war, I just believe this is of critical and logical importance.

Honour Venetian Call to Arms: Yes

sassari_prov_coa_n5059.gif

My grace,

My defeat by the rebels have caused great shame for me. While I appreciate the conclusion that I did not do anything wrong, I fear that I have no further capacity to lead our army in the fields of war.
My once clear tactical mind have been blunted, most probably by the blow to the head I took during the defence of Zaragoza. Therefor, I resign my position of general to allow more able minded men to lead the army.

I also have both sad and happy news. My father passed away in his sleep after a period of illness, god bless his soul. He was a great man who made me the man I am today.
The happy news is that my wife birthed a son, named Carlos after my father, I hope he grow up to become a fine and brave man.

In regards to the votes, I believe that the combined might of both our and Venice's navy can stop the ottomans from crossing the sea, allowing us to send the full force of our armies into Tunis, claiming their provinces for our own.

I also believe that while becoming papal controller is a goal we must pursue, France do have more support and we just do not have the influence to press our support further, so I strongly believe that we must fill up our treasury, and by doing so, raising the prestige, (which is another goal) effectively hitting two castilians with one stone.

Venetian call to arms: Yes
Mission: Accumulate money

Your loyal servant,

Felipé de Alvaro, count of Sassari [Landed Noble]

A letter from diplomat von Thun

My King

As I've heard, the country is once again on the verge of war. While the first Venetian war was a, let's just call it like it, succes, I'm not sure if future story tellers will be able to say the same about the second war. Before I can truly vote on that matter, can we - and with "we", I mean the whole court - get to see the combined fleet strength of all belligerents? Until then, my votes go as follows:

Honour Venetian call to arms: Abstain

Your loyal subject
Joseph von Thun
Diplomat

PS: I'm sure Your Majesty will be happy to hear that the problem we spoke of, and I mean the 2nd rumor I heard of, will surely never come up again, if You know what I mean.

Name:
Juan de valencia

Date of birth: 17.5.1423

Class: noble

Religion: Catholic

Bio: Cousin to arturo de valencia, born in a barn in valencia, but fled with his family to syracuse to work, and knows alot of locals there who he has befriended in his youth.

My King

The Ottoman fleet is no match for the superior Aragonese and Venetian Fleet, It is our duty as christians to protect our brothers and destroy this infidel.

Honour Venetian call to arms: Honour it
Mission: Accumulate Money

My King, I fear that again we have insufficient information to make this decision on.
Is the Turk engaged in any other wars?
Does Venice have any other friends who will help her in this war?
What is the likely size of the Tunisian army?
How well was the Venetian navy performing, do they stand a chance of standing up to the Turk?

Also what is our ability to act in this matter? What is the state of our navy? I think it is clear enough our Army is not fit for purpose at this time.

I cannot aprove of abandoning our ally, but we must not throw our all into this war.
Venetian call to arms: Yes

An Aragonese Pope ascending the throne of St. Peter would be a blessing to us all.

May I beseech His Majesty to enter an alliance with the Portugese? At least before our truce runs out. We are even more vulnerable to Castillan aggression than before the war.

I would also like to propose giving refuge to Gjergj Kastrioti, commonly known as Skanderbeg. The man was a loyal friend to Aragon and stood valiantly against the heathen. Perhaps an estate in Naples can be found for him and his family?

-Bishop Alejandro Sastre of Valencia [Landed Clergy]

Last edited:
jgJpX4h.png
My lord, King Joan II de Trastámara,

I do think we should honour our alliance with the Venetians. Would you want to be known as the one who brakes his promises? Our French ally surely would not want to befriend someone who will stab them in the back in case they get attacked? That why I say we answer the call to arms. [Answer Venetian Call to arms: Yes].
I also think we should accumulate more funds in case Castillinas will attack us so we can train more troops and hire some mercenaries if necessary. Also the additional funds may be used to develop our country if we will not have to invest into a bigger army. [Mission: Accumulate Money]
Your loyal subject,
- Arturo de Valencia, count of Zaragoza [Landed noble]

Last edited:
My Liege,

I have fought with the Venetians, I have met with their captains during the Byzantine war. They are proud and believe they can win the fight. Yes I know I know them very little but I believe together we can win this. Do you want to cripple our Italian friend. I don't want to abandon them when they need our help. Yes, I think we should join against the horrible Turks, and bring them down. And if we could get our cardinal on the Holy See, we could declare a crusade against the Turks. (Papal Controller)

~Leonardo de Abruzzi, Grand Admiral of the Realm