• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

It has come to our attention that we lack officials to represent our kingdom in matters of diplomacy and trade. We beseech our courtiers to see if they are willing to fill these positions. ((If any courtiers want to serve as diplomats or merchants, feel free to offer your services for the extra voting power.))

- His Majesty, Alfons V de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples

((Given that Coups are all peaceful, and presumably palace coups, how about giving courtiers +1 vote in them? along with councillors/ministers?
On the subject of Coups, are military ones going to be a thing if we assign generals to armies?))

((Why, are you thinking of starting a coup? Are people doubting their king? o_O Lol, just kidding, that's a reasonable suggestion. The original coup system was much more complex than what it is now, with council members and such having more influence over the outcome. I toned it down because it got too unwieldy. With coups, there's no actual fighting involved, so no armies. I can't model that in-game. How I've set them up to work is simply everyone picks a side, and the coup succeeds if the required number of people join it. I'd prefer not to make it any more complex, but I suppose it can be adjusted. I'll need to figure out a whole new system later then.))

Last edited:
((I even felt bad about giving Girona away, since I know you wanted it so badly. :oops:))

((I'm not quite sure what you mean by centralization. Do you mean the noble of the specific provinces or even the king decides whether to develop the specific provinces?

Also, I've been doing even more thinking and have decided to expand what courtiers can do even more. Since the possibility of them being governors is remote at the moment with no colonies, I'm going to add the ability for courtiers to serve as envoys at court. Basically I'll mod the names of the envoys in-game to have them represent certain courtiers, at least for diplomats, merchants, and colonists. Obviously missionaries are entirely separate. These positions would be for life, but obviously aren't inherited. Think of them as like how the bishoprics work, but without an associated province. Any courtier in one of these positions would have a boost to voting power, but cannot serve as generals (we can't have our diplomats leading men into battle). They will also lose this position if granted a noble title, since I want to limit these roles to courtiers. Hopefully this makes being a courtier a bit more exciting. Also thanks for putting up with me constantly adding things. I want this to be perfect and fun for everyone. :)))

((I am quite specifically referring to the degree of IG regionalism in a particular province. What I mean to imply is that while increasing production itself is good, we would also do well to reduce regionalism at times. Sorry if I wasn't very specific in my original post, I couldn't remember what the name of the mechanic was...))

My King

While I have not been long on Your court, I would gladly like to show You I'm worth Your trust. Thus, I offer my services as one of the diplomats of Aragon. Swiss diplomacy has always been answered with the hand of friendship. But, of course, we can also show our unworthy enemies the fist of war.

- Joseph von Thun
Courtier

((Firehound, don't you mean "local authonomy"?))

((I am quite specifically referring to the degree of IG regionalism in a particular province. What I mean to imply is that while increasing production itself is good, we would also do well to reduce regionalism at times. Sorry if I wasn't very specific in my original post, I couldn't remember what the name of the mechanic was...))

((By regionalism do you mean local autonomy? That's the feature that fits what you're mentioning the most.))

My King

While I have not been long on Your court, I would gladly like to show You I'm worth Your trust. Thus, I offer my services as one of the diplomats of Aragon. Swiss diplomacy has always been answered with the hand of friendship. But, of course, we can also show our unworthy enemies the fist of war.

- Joseph von Thun
Courtier

((Firehound, don't you mean "local authonomy"?))

((Lol, I've been ninja'd! :p))

We gladly accept your offer to serve as one of our diplomats.

Last edited:
((With coups, there's no actual fighting involved, so no armies. I can't model that in-game. How I've set them up to work is simply everyone picks a side, and the coup succeeds if the required number of people join it. I'd prefer not to make it any more complex, but I suppose it can be adjusted. I'll need to figure out a whole new system later then.))

It could just be based on number of regiments involved - 10 regiments v 10 would give 50/50 chance of victory. This would give real weight to the decision of who gets put in command of large armies - or any army.
If you wanted it to have in-game consequences, a roll of 50 or 51 could represent a close victory reducing manpower and monarch points, whilst 1 or 100 would be a decisive victory having minimal impact.

Sorry if I'm being persistent, just throwing ideas out there :)

It could just be based on number of regiments involved - 10 regiments v 10 would give 50/50 chance of victory. This would give real weight to the decision of who gets put in command of large armies - or any army.
If you wanted it to have in-game consequences, a roll of 50 or 51 could represent a close victory reducing manpower and monarch points, whilst 1 or 100 would be a decisive victory having minimal impact.

Sorry if I'm being persistent, just throwing ideas out there :)

((I'd still prefer to keep the army out of it. This gives too much power to a select few players. If one or two generals started a coup, it'd pretty much succeed every time. I want coups to be difficult to pull off.))

Ioannes cast's his vote for the plans of the Councilmen.
((sorry, my computer basically died over the past day or so))

Steward's plan: Yes
Treasurer's plan: Yes
Grandmaster's plan: Yes
Marshal's plan: Yes
Court Chaplain's plan: Yes

Artisan support act: No
La Guàrdia Real: Yes
Tariff Laws and Protection of Merchants: Yes

((No problem, @TrueProd. You didn't miss the vote, so it's all good. :)

I've officially added a changelog to the post right below the Table of Contents. I keep changing so much that I thought that I should probably keep track of it all. I'll now be recording all changes there, so hopefully that should help people keep up with what I'm doing. I don't want people not realizing I've changed a rule or something along that line. I'll try to keep updating it as I work on finessing this iAAR.))

Reactions:
Name: Antonio Cubell d'Ambrosio
Born: 4 July 1423
Religion: Catholic
Class: Noble
Bio: The d'Ambrosio family was made Giudices (judges/Counts) of Cagliari after William of Narbonne died in 1410. Antonio's father, Leonard, was a petty and indulgent ruler. Antonio hopes to reverse this and become an active ruler.

Province: Cagliari

Reactions:

Artisan support act: No

- Jofré Llançol de Borja, count of Urgell

Artisan support act: Yes

- Ramón de Montcada, Knight of Justice and Prelate of the Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Prior of Malta

After much consideration, we have taken the courts advice and decided the following regarding the proposed council plans and laws:

Steward's Plan: Passed

Treasurer's Plan: Passed

Grandmaster's Plan: Passed

Marshal's Plan: Passed

Court Chaplain's Plan: Passed

Navarra: Diplovassalization

Alliances: France and Portugal

War: Castile

((OOC Vote: Add in player generals))

Forts Law: Passed

Artisan Support Act: Passed

La Guàrdia Real: Passed

Tariff Laws and Protection of Merchants: Passed

We appreciate all the advice you have provided us in regards to these decisions. We shall follow the Council's plans as closely as possible and enact all law immediately. We shall extend an offer of protection to Navarra and seek alliances with both France and Portugal, who should hopefully be of some benefit in our inevitable war with Castile. We thank you all at this time. We shall start considering all the offers of service made to us and appoint generals for our army.

((The four laws are now in effect and I will play the game with them in mind. I'm going to add all laws from now on to the post with the changelog on the first page. I'll also officially update the rules for player generals as well. I hope to get a chance later tonight to start playing.))

Last edited:

After much deliberation, we have decided upon generals for our army. We are delighted to accept the offer of service from Lino Adrià María de Agramunt ((Firehound15)), Felipé de Alvaro ((Robban204)), and Jaume Cristòfor ((Artistove)). These brave men will lead the army besides yours truly, for we intend to lead the main force ourselves during any war. We will also accept the offer of Leonardo de Abruzzi ((GameHunter5303)) to lend his skills to our navy as an admiral. May these men bring us a swift victory against Castile.

((I've officially added the new rules for generals, which includes a formula for how many pips a leader can have based on our tradition. You can thank @Egil4950 for writing up that chart that I've added. Each general can also designate a focus on either fire, shock, or manoeuvre. Since I intend to play tonight, hopefully, I may not have time to get this information from the four people listed. I'll just assign the pips at random for now and possibly reassign them later. As for GameHunter5303's character, I'll just rename the admiral we already have to make things easier. It should also be noted that generals may die in battle, and thus so will the characters. If generals die outside battle, it's assumed that they've retired, either willingly or by force. Also from now on the Marshal must include which forts are mothballed in his plan with the passing of the Forts Law.))

Last edited:
Your grace,
I am truly honored by your faith in my ability to lead one of our great armies to victory against any foe that dare stand in our way!
Since my youth involved much swordfighting and less horseback riding, I believe my army would be best served in a fire capacity.

Your loyal servant,
Felipé de Alvaro

Fernando quickly adjusted on his mitre as he nervously approached the altar of the Barbastro Cathedral in Pirineo. It is his first Mass as bishop and the cathedral is packed.

He came from a prestigious family but he could never imagine rising so far, so fast. Within a few years after finishing his studies he had graduated from country priest to bishop and court chaplain of the Kingdom of Aragon. Fernando would prove he was worthy of his good fortune by honoring his sovereign and his God while fighting against His enemies.

God watches over all his children

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost..."

catedral_barbastro.jpg

Catedral de Barbastro

Last edited:

On the First of May in the year of our Lord 1447, His Majesty, Alfons V de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, passed away after suffering from grievous wounds inflicted during a gruelling battle with the Castilians. He shall be forever remembered for his bravery and dedication to the kingdom he loved so dearly. His brother, Joan II de Trastámara, shall succeed our late sovereign as King of Aragon and Naples. The king is dead, long live the king!

((Well that sucks. The king died part way through our war with Castile. Edit: I'll start working on an update. I was going to keep going, but this could be a good chance for everyone to give reactions to the war effort and the king's death.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
(( :eek: ))

Your Grace Joan II,
I am stricken with tragedy and shock following the death of your brother Alfons V in battle. May he rest in peace with the Heavenly Father himself in his great mansion above the skies, and may he be remembered as one of the greatest warriors Aragon has ever seen. But, as they say: long live the new king of Aragon, and long live the war with Castile!

From yours truly,
Jaume Cristòfor, Count of Barcelona & Marshal of the Realm