• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Been lurking forever in your AARs ever since the early years of your tag-swap AAR and thought "Why not join in".))

Name: Joseph von Thun
Date of birth: 12th of June, 1402
Class: Courtier (Swiss noble refugee)
Religion: Catholic

Bio:

As the only son and heir of one of the wealthiest peasant families around the city of Thun, Joseph was already used to hard work in early years. With this, and aided by the early death of his parents in 1429, he brought it to high personal wealth. So much wealth, in fact, that he could afford to buy a noble title from the landholders while also allowing him to learn foreign languages like it was expected from the local nobles. He chose Aragonese back in the day because he was always impressed by how strong they were and how they could resist the ambitions of both the Moors and the Castillians.
Apart from languages, he too was an educated person in maths and economic questions.

Recently, the ambitions of the dukes of Burgundy started to cast growing concern over Joseph. He'd never been brave, and despite the deep friendship between the Swiss and their neighbours, they'd soon be in war against each other. As he'd heard, the heir to the Burgundian throne, Charles, was a masterful tactician and he would surely want to take Swiss lands. With this in mind, he turned his back to the lands of his fathers and went to the only Country his foreign language knowledge could help him - Aragon.

((I do have a question, btw. How do you handle dead generals if they were named after one of my fellow players? Does that flag them as *dead* or not?))

Reactions:
((Been lurking forever in your AARs ever since the early years of your tag-swap AAR and thought "Why not join in".))

Name: Joseph von Thun
Date of birth: 12th of June, 1402
Class: Courtier (Swiss noble refugee)

Bio:

As the only son and heir of one of the wealthiest peasant families around the city of Thun, Joseph was already used to hard work in early years. With this, and aided by the early death of his parents in 1429, he brought it to high personal wealth. So much wealth, in fact, that he could afford to buy a noble title from the landholders while also allowing him to learn foreign languages like it was expected from the local nobles. He chose Aragonese back in the day because he was always impressed by how strong they were and how they could resist the ambitions of both the Moors and the Castillians.
Apart from languages, he too was an educated person in maths and economic questions.

Recently, the ambitions of the dukes of Burgundy started to cast growing concern over Joseph. He'd never been brave, and despite the deep friendship between the Swiss and their neighbours, they'd soon be in war against each other. As he'd heard, the heir to the Burgundian throne, Charles, was a masterful tactician and he would surely want to take Swiss lands. With this in mind, he turned his back to the lands of his fathers and went to the only Country his foreign language knowledge could help him - Aragon.

((I do have a question, btw. How do you handle dead generals if they were named after one of my fellow players? Does that flag them as *dead* or not?))

((Excellent... excellent.... Soon my plan to unveil all the lurkers will be complete!

Well it all depends on how our vote regarding the player generals turns out. If we add them into game, they will die if the general in-game dies, but only if in battle. If they die during peace or when the army isn't engaged in battle, I'll just add them back in manually.))

My King

As one who always liked the Aragonese Ways of Life, I want to send you my kindest thanks for such a friendly acceptance of those who fled the warmongering tyrants up in the north. As I've heard, you seek help in important questions. Let me talk about my sight of things...

Navarra: Diplovassalization

While I do know that the kings of both France and Castille want to get influence over our shared neighbour, I don't think that Juan II would like it if a member of his own family took his lands by force. Safety from our rival for them can too be achieved by a simple guarantee of independence.

Allies: France/Papal State

Some other members of this court might wonder of the absence of Portugal on this list. The answer is a simple one; they won't help us in acts of agression against their faithful friend and, soon, ally Castille. The pope himself, on the other hand, has the abillity to excommunicate this filth should they ever raise their hands against our wealthy lands. That, of course, just, if we controll the pope himself, but I'm sure you all agree that we are by fare more religious! France on the other hand... well, they're strong and rich.

War: Castille

The Castillians will just get stronger over time if we don't cut them back in size like they deserve it. I'm not as brave as Your Majesty and won't be able to do much in the war, but if we start said war now, we will have a peaceful and golden age on our horizon in which I can proof to be a gain to these lands.

((OOC vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console since it obviously feels more personal if the character's names actually are ingame))

Fort Law: No

While the idea looks great from the monetary side, we must not forget that our rival is a warmongering tyrant. If they dared declare a war on us when we're not prepared, that would be outright fatal for Aragon as a whole and the people living at the borders specifically. To have an actual defence for unexpected wars and revolts, I want to start a Petition for a secondary line to the Fort Law, should it pass ((Maybe as a 3rd vote option?)). It would look like this.

Forts Law
As of whenever this law can be put into effect, all forts in Aragon are to be mothballed until war is on the horizon.
In peace times, the court can vote on forts that are to be manned in case our lands are surprisingly struck by evil influence​

This is to prevent the king from having to forcefully bypass the law just to still have protection over lands in unrest or danger.
((As we're talking of it, a mothballed fort does not have a zone of controll, not even over the province it's sitting on. Should rebels succesfully besiege such a province, the normal occupation malus, for example, years of nationalism, will be applied. Not so if the province is within a zone of influence. Just in case you didn't know that. ;)))

- Joseph von Thun

Reactions:
Fort Law: No

While the idea looks great from the monetary side, we must not forget that our rival is a warmongering tyrant. If they dared declare a war on us when we're not prepared, that would be outright fatal for Aragon as a whole and the people living at the borders specifically. To have an actual defence for unexpected wars and revolts, I want to start a Petition for a secondary line to the Fort Law, should it pass ((Maybe as a 3rd vote option?)). It would look like this.

Forts Law
As of whenever this law can be put into effect, all forts in Aragon are to be mothballed until war is on the horizon.
In peace times, the court can vote on forts that are to be manned in case our lands are surprisingly struck by evil influence​

This is to prevent the king from having to forcefully bypass the law just to still have protection over lands in unrest or danger.
((As we're talking of it, a mothballed fort does not have a zone of controll, not even over the province it's sitting on. Should rebels succesfully besiege such a province, the normal occupation malus, for example, years of nationalism, will be applied. Not so if the province is within a zone of influence. Just in case you didn't know that. ;)))

- Joseph von Thun

((These are the kind of things I don't know, so I'm glad that someone explains them to me. So obviously they have a purpose even during peace.))

A reasonable amendment. However, since the original was proposed by Marshal Jaume Cristòfor, he will have to decide whether or not to amend his law or withdraw it. If he chooses not to, you may present this amendment afterwards to apply either as a new law if the old one fails or an amendment to it if it succeeds.

- His Majesty, Alfons V de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples

((I just want to avoid setting a precedent where anyone can just propose amendments to other people's laws. It'd get quite messy having to keep adding to proposed laws every time someone wanted a change. For now we'll leave it up the the person who first posted it to apply changes if they choose.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Your Grace Alfons V,
I have decided to adopt Joseph von Thun's amendment into my proposed law, as I feel it is a reasonable and most favored change that'll hopefully sway the nobles into accepting the law. As of right now, this is the new law:

Forts Law
Amendment I: In peace times, the court can vote on forts that are to be manned in case our lands are surprisingly attacked.

From yours truly,
Jaume Cristòfor, Count of Barcelona & Marshal of the Realm

Your Grace Alfons V,
I have decided to adopt Joseph von Thun's amendment into my proposed law, as I feel it is a reasonable and most favored change that'll hopefully sway the nobles into accepting the law. As of right now, this is the new law:

Forts Law
Amendment I: In peace times, the court can vote on forts that are to be manned in case our lands are surprisingly attacked.

From yours truly,

We shall consider this amendment official. All those who have voted on the old one will continue to have their votes counted, but if they wish to change their vote, please do so and explicitly state it.

((If this passes, I think I'll interpret the amendment as making it mandatory for the Marshal to state which forts must be mothballed in his plans.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thank you, Your Highness, for entrusting the religious matters of the kingdom to my hands. I shall do my utmost to honor your belief in me and above all I shall honor God.

As court chaplain, I recommend that we ask His Holiness to bless your rule once we are worthy in his eyes, so that other Christian nations may look upon your person with awe. If Aragon is fortunate enough for His Holiness to elevate a bishop among our ranks to the College of Cardinals then I recommend that we attempt to persuade other members of the College to help our cardinal obtain the throne of Saint Peter at a later date.

God bless you, Your Majesty.

-Bishop Fernando de Vascona

((Use papal influence to Bless Ruler if/when we get enough points. If we get a cardinal then Invest Influence to increase our chances of getting the papacy))

Your Grace Alfons V,
In response to Bishop de Vascona's plan as Court Chaplain, I have decided to make a plan of my own as Marshal of the Realm. Firstly, I must touch on army composition.

The basic algorithm for all Aragonese armies should look something like this:
2,000 infantry for every 1,000 cavalry ((I'll add artillery when the time comes))

For army recruiting, I believe we should make another army in entirety with my algorithm, if our income and manpower can support it. This is what the new army should look like:
8,000 infantry & 4,000 cavalry

The new army should also be named the Segon Exèrcit Principal ((Catalan for Second Main Army, as Google Translate says)), That is all.

From yours truly,

We thank all our council members for their plans. We shall consult the court on such matters tomorrow.

((I have officially updated the rules regarding cardinals and the Pope. Clergy now can be appointed cardinal if we receive any in-game, giving them 3 voting power. If we become papal controller, a cardinal will then become Pope. The Pope will have 4 voting power. The Pope may call for a crusade and excommunicate nations or Catholic players. Excommunicated players cannot be appointed to the Council and have their voting power halved (this does not stack with other penalties to voting power). Hopefully this entices people to become clergy. ;)))

Last edited:
Reactions:
((What if we have more than one cardinal?))

((What if we have more than one cardinal?))

((Do you mean how to pick which cardinal becomes Pope? Or do you mean how to choose who becomes cardinal when one shows up? I suppose I should figure out both. I think it'd work best if we let the longest serving character take the position. So basically the character who has been serving the longest as bishop will become cardinal, and the longest serving cardinal will become Pope.))

Reactions:
I would also propose a new law:

Artisan support act
We should support our artisans the produce valuable goods (trade goods worth at least 3) by developing their workshops. ((Increasing production development of provinces producing those trade goods to at least 5 points of dev)).

Your humble subject-
Arturo de Valencia

Your Grace,

I have come to learn of a wise suggestion from the Count of Zaragoza and our Kingdom's Steward, Arturo de Valencia.

I would like to inform you of my keenness for the 'Artisan Support Act' to be passed. Count De Valencia is a shrewd man, and has correctly identified that such an act would serve to greatly benefit your Kingdom in the long-term economically.

Thank you for your consideration, and I am certain your final decision will be the right one.

Yours dutifully,
John Kendall
Kendall Trading

Last edited:
Your Grace,
I hereby present my counsel regarding the future of the kingdom:

Navarra: Diplovassalization

If Aragon is to stand among the finest of Christian realms, we cannot declare war against a relative of our king.

Allies: Portugal/France
Portugal and France are our natural allies if we want to be save from any Castillian aggression.

War:Tunis
We must weaken the Muslims whenever we can and convert their lands into jewels of the Christian world.

Ceterum censeo Tunis esse delendam.

((OOC Vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console))

Forts Law: No
With the ever-present threat of Berber piracy, I cannot agree to neglect the coastal fortifications of the realm.

- Ramón de Montcada, Prelate of the Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Bishop of Malta

Dear John Kendall,
You, sir, are a fine Englishman I must say. I appreciate what you do for our economy and what you had to go through to come to here. If I could, I would gladly knight you for your services to the Crown of Aragon.

From yours truly,

Name: Alejandro Sastre
Date of Birth: 1392
Class: Clergy
Religion: Catholicism
Bio: Of humble origins, (his grandfather was a tailor) he studied at the University of Lleida where he obtained a doctorate in both canon law and civil law. His early career was spent as a professor of law at the University of Lleida and he then served as a diplomat for Aragon. Diligent and austere, Alejandro applies all his energies to the task in hand.
In 1429 he was instrumental in forcing Antipope Clement VIII to submit to Pope Martin V, and he was chosen as Bishop of Valencia shortly thereafter. ((I'm not claiming the province - he cares for the people's spiritual needs, although I'm sure he wouldn't object to an additional bishopric with temporal duties if one were to become available.))
He continues to serve Aragon's diplomatic interests, and is currently attempting to persuade Pope Eugene to grant a Cardinalate to Aragon in recognition of His Most Catholic Majesties devotion to the faith.

ML62bdh.jpg

Bishop Alejandro Sastre in his later years.

A delicate affair Pt.2
Sermon against the Turk
Wedding of de Agramunt and de Cabrera
Furry Assassins
Letters advocating the inquisition Pt.2 Pt.3
Condemnation of the Bastard

If it is not to presumptuous of me to offer my advice, your grace...

Navarre
1. Diplovassalization (Provisional - see war options)

This country is ruled jure uxoris by your Grace's brother and heir, Joan. God willing he and later his son, Carlos will succeed in both Navarre and Aragon. Under such circumstances it seems foolish to force the matter now with military force. We should however begin associating Navarre with the Aragonese crown in preparation for such a happy circumstance.

Alliances.
1. Portugal
2. France

Whilst better relations with his holiness would be advisable, his military assistance is likely to be... lacking outside of Italy.

Forts Law: Yes
In peacetime our Valencian fortifications are sufficiently manned by the royal guard. The Northern fortifications are only needed in case of a French attack.

((Generals: Stick))

War

I would urge your Grace to postpone this vote for a month or even just a week. In principle we should pre-emptively strike Castile, however I fear we lack vital information regarding the true nature of the diplomatic landscape. Contacts inform me of a possible Castillan-Burgundian alliance, and our friends the Portuguese are sure to enter an alliance with the Castillans as well. Under such circumstances our French friends would be hard pushed to lend us the aid we need to decisively win against the Castillans.

Potentially such a situation could be averted if we were seen as having a truly justified reason for war. There is one such justification that is likely to present itself:
It is well known that the Castillans have imperialist ambitions in regards to Navarre. If your Majesty was seen to be responding in force to such imperialism - in support of your brother no less - they would have no reason to invoke their alliances.
That said, the French might object to our... armed intervention in Navarre. A joint war - against say Provonce - Might convince them to overlook this.

((To translate into game speak: Castille will get allies. I don't know who burgundy have rivalled, but a mutual dislike of England, France or Aragon can often see them allied. Castille will ally Portugal immediately. Navarre will ally France and Castille. You can avoid Castillan allies by declaring on Navarre whilst in a war together with France to avoid Navarre calling them. Provence is ideal for this.
So unpause for a month or two to see who allies who. We can then vote from a more informed position.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
I would urge your Grace to postpone this vote for a month or even just a week. In principle we should pre-emptively strike Castile, however I fear we lack vital information regarding the true nature of the diplomatic landscape. Contacts inform me of a possible Castillan-Burgundian alliance, and our friends the Portuguese are sure to enter an alliance with the Castillans as well. Under such circumstances our French friends would be hard pushed to lend us the aid we need to decisively win against the Castillans.

Potentially such a situation could be averted if we were seen as having a truly justified reason for war. There is one such justification that is likely to present itself:
It is well known that the Castillans have imperialist ambitions in regards to Navarre. If your Majesty was seen to be responding in force to such imperialism - in support of your brother no less - they would have no reason to invoke their alliances.
That said, the French might object to our... armed intervention in Navarre. A joint war - against say Provonce - Might convince them to overlook this.

((To translate into game speak: Castille will get allies. I don't know who burgundy have rivalled, but a mutual dislike of England, France or Aragon can often see them allied. Castille will ally Portugal immediately. Navarre will ally France and Castille. You can avoid Castillan allies by declaring on Navarre whilst in a war together with France to avoid Navarre calling them. Provence is ideal for this.
So unpause for a month or two to see who allies who. We can then vote from a more informed position.))

Your advice is indeed wise. We shall continue with our votes regarding the war, but if whichever nation is chosen happens to have allies that concern us, we shall consult the court again. We hope that is an adequate compromise.

((Basically what I'm saying is that we'll have another vote on the war if whichever nation we vote to go after has allies of decent strength.))

Last edited:
Reactions:

It has come to our attention that we neglected to inform the court of our plans for the treasury. We apologize for our neglect. We have been preoccupied with our divinely ordained tasks, but we shall postpone no longer. We have decided that the army and navy maintain full funding with war on the horizon. We shall not consider advisors for our court at this time until we have a better grasp of our financing. ((Full maintenance sliders and only hire advisors if we can afford them.))

((I did some thinking last night about some of the classes. It's come to my attention that courtiers don't appear as good a class as the others. I had originally intended them to be for casual players who want minimal participation, but now I see many want them for foreign characters. I certainly don't want to punish people for choosing that option with the lower voting power of a courtier. Then again, it doesn't make sense for me to give foreigners big benefits or elevate them all to nobles. I've been trying to think of a way to give courtiers something they can do to expand power. The first idea was to allow courtiers to become governors. Basically once we start colonizing, a courtier can be appointed governor of a colony. Of course this still needs to be fleshed out since I'm not sure how this will work with colonial nations. This should work like how nobles do with titles, at least in theory. Obviously this can't exactly be tested until we start colonizing. I was also thinking of giving courtiers the option to be explorers or maybe even conquistadors, but I'm not sure if nobles would get the same option. This obviously needs to be fleshed out more.

I also unintentionally created a problem when I accepted a knight character as clergy. Now that clergy can become cardinal or Pope, it would make little sense for knights to be appointed to either. Thus I'm thinking of making another class for knights. Knights would be able hold either a bishopric or receive a noble title. They would also be given the option to serve as conquistadors. Bascially they're a cross between a noble and a clergy member. Not sure what else to do with them though. Suggestions are welcome.

Also since all the plans are in, I'll prepare the next stage of voting.))

Last edited:
Reactions:

With all the council plans presented, we shall conduct an official vote. We shall also include all laws included up until this point. Here are the council plans first.

Steward Arturo de Valencia's plan:
Your grace, I would also advice to increase the stability of our nation.

His Majesty's plan for the treasury:
It has come to our attention that we neglected to inform the court of our plans for the treasury. We apologize for our neglect. We have been preoccupied with our divinely ordained tasks, but we shall postpone no longer. We have decided that the army and navy maintain full funding with war on the horizon. We shall not consider advisors for our court at this time until we have a better grasp of our financing. ((Full maintenance sliders and only hire advisors if we can afford them.))

Grandmaster Erik Ing's plan:
The first thing I want to state is that I think our merchant is placed well where they are in Champange and Tunis, there were talks of sending them to Rheinland, but we will gain no money from this area directly. ((I just finds this a bit to cheesy use of the game mechanics abusing the Caravan Power to get additional trade power, and for the time being we get the additional 10% Trade power from Tunis))
I would also suggest that my king will send our current trade fleet out patrolling in Genoa to gain additional ducats from the area, though if we lose revenue from Tunis I suggest sending them there.

Marshal Jaume Cristòfor's plans:
The basic algorithm for all Aragonese armies should look something like this:

2,000 infantry for every 1,000 cavalry ((I'll add artillery when the time comes))

For army recruiting, I believe we should make another army in entirety with my algorithm, if our income and manpower can support it. This is what the new army should look like:

8,000 infantry & 4,000 cavalry

The new army should also be named the Segon Exèrcit Principal ((Catalan for Second Main Army, as Google Translate says)), That is all.

Court Chaplain Fernando de Vascona's plan:
As court chaplain, I recommend that we ask His Holiness to bless your rule once we are worthy in his eyes, so that other Christian nations may look upon your person with awe. If Aragon is fortunate enough for His Holiness to elevate a bishop among our ranks to the College of Cardinals then I recommend that we attempt to persuade other members of the College to help our cardinal obtain the throne of Saint Peter at a later date.

((Use papal influence to Bless Ruler if/when we get enough points. If we get a cardinal then Invest Influence to increase our chances of getting the papacy))

We have been presented by several proposals for laws and have decided to put them before the court to vote upon.

Artisan support act
We should support our artisans the produce valuable goods (trade goods worth at least 3) by developing their workshops. ((Increasing production development of provinces producing those trade goods to at least 5 points of dev)).

La Guàrdia Real
Creating a Royal Guard will keep the king and his family safe, and could also be used as an elite force during times of war.

Tariff Laws and Protection of Merchants

We should introduce tariffs and taxes on foreign merchants wanting to trade in our area, not only will it increase our income from trade, but to make our traders get an upper-hand in trade. We should also introduce protection of our merchants in certain nodes increasing our Mercantilism when we can. ((Increase our Mercantilism when we can from events to increase our trade power in our own provinces.))

A simple Yes/No/Abstain will do for all of them. We shall provide a template for all of you to utilise.

Steward's plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Treasurer's plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Grandmaster's plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Marshal's plan: Yes/No/Abstain
Court Chaplain's plan: Yes/No/Abstain

Artisan support act: Yes/No/Abstain
La Guàrdia Real: Yes/No/Abstain
Tariff Laws and Protection of Merchants: Yes/No/Abstain

We shall also include the items already included for a vote to refresh those who have forgotten or missed a vote. It should be noted that the Forts Law has been amended, so some may wish to change their votes on the matter.

Navarra: Diplovassalization/War/Neither/Abstain

Allies: Portugal/France/Austria/Papal State/None/Abstain (Note that you need to vote for two unless you abstain or only want one or no allies.)

War: Provence/Tunis/Castile/None/Abstain

((OOC Vote: Raise the leader limit and add in player generals using the console/Stick with the system of pretending player generals are leading the army/Abstain))

Amended Forts Law: Yes/No/Abstain

((Next time I am definitely just linking to these vote items instead of quoting. What a mess that was. :p Also just a reminder, I need your character's name and class included with the vote. It makes things a lot easier for me when tallying the votes that way. Please do not propose any more laws until after the next update. This vote will last until 12pm PST on Saturday. I know I said 6pm last time, but I want more time so I can start playing during the evening. I want to get this thing going full speed soon. :)))

Last edited:
latest
Moncada-Spain.jpg

Name: Don Bernat de Moncada, Señor en Alquazar, known as the Iron Hand
Date of Birth: May 5, 1416
Class: Nobile
Bio: Bernat was born in a family that is known to be a cadet branch of the Viscountly House of Girona- however, his own father was but a minor landholder, having only honor and illustrious ancestry. From his youngest years the nobleman have been living by his sword, as a boy joining the retinue of King Alfonso V. Quickly becoming a knight in his service, Bernat fought in the sieges of Gaeta and Capua, captained one of the twenty-five galleys that his master sent to battle the Genoese and was gravely wounded during the campaign of Castel Nuovo. After spending some time in the family manor healing his wounds and sipping young wine, Bernat raised a company of archers for the King and participated in his march, during which the Crown of Aragon was able to capture Aversa, Salerno and Bitono. In the latter he was governor, until his active nature did not persuade him to rejoin the royal court seeking for a more interesting role.
While spending his life in battles and skirmishes, En Bernat did not forget about family life, marrying Maria de Cabrera, a daughter of a neighboring lord and already having several daughers and sons.

Bernat de Moncada is known as a valiant warrior and able administrator, firm in his principles of loyalty to the Crown and Faith, as well as a disciplinarian and sometimes harsh, if just, man. By his moral values and type of personality he is a Crusader knight and feudal lord of old - preferring hunt and prayer to new eccentries.

Reactions:
I see that all of these plans and proposals have great potential, Your Majesty.

Steward's plan: Yes
Treasurer's plan: Yes
Grandmaster's plan: Yes
Marshal's plan: Yes
Court Chaplain's plan: Yes

Artisan support act: Yes
La Guàrdia Real: Yes
Tariff Laws and Protection of Merchants: Yes

~Noble Carlos de Leon of Syracuse