• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My King

With wealthy southern Italy finally integrated under our banner, we should finally be able to field a powerful and fearsome army that can eclipse the other Iberian's. But to make it quick: We have by far too many infantrists. Surely, they are worth their price, but fact is that there are better troops we can train in our barracks. I thereby demand the infantry size be cut down to twenty-thousand men. To compensate for such a hefty cut in regular army, we should build four-thousand new units of artillery. With those new troops, our new army composition would be 20/9/12, what leads to exactly 41 thousand men in our army, just the sum we can support, as I've read from the new food reports. About the forts, I shall stick to the old plans.

Oh, and by the way... I've come across several rumors about you sending your grandson away to Naples and Greece. That alone does not seem like a bad thing, I would've done the same to show him the realm. But... there seem to be rumors about it being a mercenary ship and its crew actually wanting to go to Muscovy... I thought I'd tell you, such rumors can truly ruin the stability of the realm.

And on another side note, I didn't even know you had a grandson, Your Majesty. Let me gratulate you for this, my own son has made my own family bigger recently too and I can imagine how happy you must feel about this.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Duke of Zaragoza
Marshal of the Realm

-------------------------------------

Since the death of good Viceroy D'Este, Stefano hadn't heard much of his son Càrlo. But now in 1513, he finally returned to the Duchy of Zaragoza, his wife, 2 sons and daughter with him. Truly, his family had grown over the time and he could only be happy. He never truly wished to have grandchildren, but now that he had them, he felt lucky. Alejandro who was born during the Aragonese Revenge in 1498 and the twins Doroteo and Dorotea who were both born in 1506.

"Father, I have thought. About us and our family. I believe it to be a good sign of integration to search in the local nobility for a suitable wife for Alejandro." Stefano was surprised that he wanted to talk about that with him. Not like he didn't like it, but it was... an interesting feeling to talk about a wife for his grandson.

"I shall ask around a bit, I'm sure we'll find a suitable bride, my son."

Francesco and his fleet sailed from Pisa through the Mediterranean Sea to pick up goods which he was planing to sell. As always, Francesco was counting the coin in his head that he would make by selling the Tuscan wine which he bought for a bargain price from an inexperienced merchant in Pisa.
Then, in the middle of the passage, one of Francesco's sailors screamed because . . .

[requesting dice roll to intercept O5's ships which are disguised as pirates]

My King

With wealthy southern Italy finally integrated under our banner, we should finally be able to field a powerful and fearsome army that can eclipse the other Iberian's. But to make it quick: We have by far too many infantrists. Surely, they are worth their price, but fact is that there are better troops we can train in our barracks. I thereby demand the infantry size be cut down to twenty-thousand men. To compensate for such a hefty cut in regular army, we should build four-thousand new units of artillery. With those new troops, our new army composition would be 20/9/12, what leads to exactly 41 thousand men in our army, just the sum we can support, as I've read from the new food reports. About the forts, I shall stick to the old plans.

Oh, and by the way... I've come across several rumors about you sending your grandson away to Naples and Greece. That alone does not seem like a bad thing, I would've done the same to show him the realm. But... there seem to be rumors about it being a mercenary ship and its crew actually wanting to go to Muscovy... I thought I'd tell you, such rumors can truly ruin the stability of the realm.

And on another side note, I didn't even know you had a grandson, Your Majesty. Let me gratulate you for this, my own son has made my own family bigger recently too and I can imagine how happy you must feel about this.

Your loyal subject
Stefano von Thun
Duke of Zaragoza
Marshal of the Realm

Xs93UHA.png

I don't know where you heard such rumours, but I would not entrust my grandson with mercenaries. The ship's crew merely consists of quite a few Varangian Guards, a gift of the Greek Emperor. Who better to protect a member of the royal family than the famous Varangian Guard?

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Reactions:
Your majesty,

It seems that the License of Liveries act is unlikely to have the effect it desires. Would it not just cause minor nobles to be more secretive about their retainers? All the while placing more power in a court outside your direct control? I must oppose such an act.

As for Jolof, let our allies show their character in the peace treaty they negotiate. This will show us how we may treat with them in the future.

Finally, it would be helpful to build the royal treasury.

Long live the King!
-Andrés Iglesia y Maig y Niño

(( License of Liveries Bill: No
Peace with Jolof: Let Portugal decide
Mission: Money/Papal Controller/Rival/Abstain ))

3eKSocD.png

Rumors were swirling around the court that the King was sending his own grandson into exile. Surely many nobles and courtiers would take advantage of this situation and try to extract some sort of personal gain from it. The whole situation made Carlo's head ache. He believed that to ignore the laws of succession was to ignore the law of God, who granted Kings their Divine Rights. After all, succession was detailed in the Old Testament. The young Prince surely did not deserve exile, and the heir to the throne was a valuable prize to the less-scrupulous. Carlo quickly dispatched a message to the Duke.

He wondered how best to deal with the situation. Speak to the French? Surely they would be concerned over the stability of the kingdom - after all, the king had hidden his grandson and preferred his son Ferran as heir. Vincenzo could hardly name all those who had an interest in boarding the ship and capturing the boy, so many came to his mind. The French could help, but maybe it wasn't ideal to involve them in such matters. On the other hand, he still had some of his father's precious 'contacts' he had thought, or hoped, he would never have to make use of. Maybe he should shelter the boy and possible heir or troublesome claimant to the throne, as to avoid another succession crisis, and bring him safely back to court, or into a monastery... He would have to act fast either way. Why didn't the king take the advice of his diplomats anyway? If he couldn't trust them, then there was a serious problem. He would have to tell His Majesty his concerns. But right now, he had to act - for the good of the realm, with or without the French at his side.

((private message to Vincenzo Castelozzi))

Your Grace,

Much intrigue is abound this morning. With rumors that the true heir to the throne of Aragon is to be exiled by the King, many opportunists will surely use this moment to advance their own interests, rather than the interests of the whole realm. Of all members of the court you are one of the few that, along with myself, share this view. Your Grace is quite intelligent and capable, and judging by the activity here in Palermo, I am sure that you plan to intercept the young captive Prince. Therefore, I wish to offer you my assistance if you deem it necessary to ensure that the Prince does not fall into the wrong hands. ((I'm offering to team up in intercepting the Prince))

I await your reply,

Cardinal Abate

((License of Liveries Bill: Yes
Peace with Jolof: Take a province
Mission: Money))

[Cardinal, Court Chaplin]

FlbmQEd.png

((Private Letter))
Your Grace,

I write you on a matter of pressing importance. My return to Cagliari is being obstructed by the presence of a fleet of Pirates. These scum do not deserve to be in Aragonese Pirates on top of those from the Barbary Coast. Please, I request the Royal Fleet to defend Sardinia from pillage. The island is to valuable to be diminished by wanton deployment.

On the more casual side, in order to protect Sardinia and better lead the people there, I humbly request the lofty position of Prince-Archbishop of Cagliari. I basically serve the function already and would answer only to you in secular matters, much like those in the Holy Roman Empire. The choice is your.

(( P.S. Are there dockyards and a market in Cagliari? I'm wanting to turn it into a regional hub of trade.))

-Raffaelo Módena, Prelate of Sardinia, Archbishop of Cagliari

(( License of Liveries Bill: Yes
Peace with Jolof: Let the Portuguese decide
Mission: Papal Controller))

Archbishop, Clergy

174px-Vasco_da_Gama_-_1838.png
Name: Georgios Otto Alexandros Voulgaris - Γεώργιος 'Οθων Αλέξανδρος Βούλγαρης
Birth: 12 October 1483, Athens
Class: Explorer
Religion: Roman Catholicism
Bio:

Georgios Otto Alexandros Voulgaris was one of the first nobles of the Greek-Aragonese Aristocratic class, a group of aristocrats formed from the imported Argonese bureaucratc and elder Greek and Byzantine families. His father, a Greek aristocrat and merchant, taught Georgios the secrets of sailing, navigating and trading when he took him on his journeys to Aragon, Venice, Constantinople and Alexandria. When Georgios reached adulthood he began his studies at the University of Siena, eventually finishing his studies with honours four years later. Georgios' father, having been a staunch supporter of the Aragonese rule of Athens, had gathered a large amount of influence in the Kingom of Aragon, especially in Aragonese High Naval Command, which he used to buy his son the rang of capitain on the Salamis, an Aragonese Caravel after Georgios had returned from Siena. Georgios Voulgaris would quickly rise through the ranks of the Aragonese navy, becoming the commanding officer of the Aragonese Blockade Navy during the Portugese War for Siine, however, Voulgaris was not too interested in spending his days blockading the coasts of various nations, for he had heard of stories of a land filled with riches unimaginable for a single man, thus, when he had returned from the war, Voulgaris said his prayers and went to His Majesty, King Ferran of Aragon, to propose a journey that may change the history of Aragon and indeed the world.

Reactions:
FlbmQEd.png

((Private Letter))
Your Grace,

I write you on a matter of pressing importance. My return to Cagliari is being obstructed by the presence of a fleet of Pirates. These scum do not deserve to be in Aragonese Pirates on top of those from the Barbary Coast. Please, I request the Royal Fleet to defend Sardinia from pillage. The island is to valuable to be diminished by wanton deployment.

On the more casual side, in order to protect Sardinia and better lead the people there, I humbly request the lofty position of Prince-Archbishop of Cagliari. I basically serve the function already and would answer only to you in secular matters, much like those in the Holy Roman Empire. The choice is your.

(( P.S. Are there dockyards and a market in Cagliari? I'm wanting to turn it into a regional hub of trade.))

(( License of Liveries Bill: Yes
Peace with Jolof: Let the Portuguese decide
Mission: Papal Controller))

Archbishop, Clergy

Xs93UHA.png

King Ferran bursts out laughing. After awhile, he wipes some tears away and regains his composure.

Oh, were you actually being serious? I see no reason to grant any member of the clergy any sort of title, especially in Sardinia. I'd practically be inviting the Pope to usurp my claim to the island. I also suspect the counts of Sassari and Cagliari would object to being placed under the the rule of a priest. Stick to matters of faith, Archbishop, and leave stately affairs to the nobility.

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

((I believe we have a market in Cagliari, but no dock. Only Palermo has a dock.))

Name: Georgios Otto Alexandros Voulgaris - Γεώργιος 'Οθων Αλέξανδρος Βούλγαρης
Birth: 12 October 1483, Athens
Class: Explorer
Religion: Roman Catholicism

((Explorer is not a class, but a role that someone can take on. You need to be either a courtier or unlanded noble if you then want to be an explorer. Pick one of those two and I'll add you to the list of future explorers.))

((Private Letter))
Your Grace,

((Umm, I feel like I need to clarify few things seeing your post. The "pirates" are ordered to only hoist the pirate flag when they find the ship with prince Ferran. Another thing is that they are not pillaging, they just sail around looking for the transport. They also don't attack every ship.))

((Private))

Federico stood on the deck of a ship as it sailed out of Taranto's harbour. The coast of Salento spread out behind him, all part of his domain, as the ship headed deeper into the Mediterranean. From a bastard's son all the way to count of Salento in a few years. He couldn't help but grin. King Ferran was surely kicking himself for marrying him off to the youngest daughter of the previous count of Salento. God worked in strange ways, and who could have predicted an outbreak of plague would strike down the Count and his entire family, excluding dear Adriana. The survival of the youngest daughter, Federico's wife, had meant he was now count of Salento. Yes, he was indeed moving up in the world.

Of course his ambition did not end there. Being a count was nice and all, but there were always ways to move up even further. Duke had a nice ring to it. Of course someone had to be elected to the Cortz first, but there were ways to get around that. Blackmailing the king always worked. It had gotten him his mother's titles back, and perhaps it could get him a duchy. He just needed something particularly damning this time. Or perhaps he just needed someone on the inside.

This trip was not just some mere sailing adventure. He had left Taranto for a reason. His informants had been quite active and reported that King Ferran had sent his grandson off to see the rest of the realm. That happened to include Naples. Of course the young boy would probably only visit Napoli, the capital of the region, but plans could be changed. If Federico intercepted the ship before it got that far, he could detour it so it landed in Taranto. Who knew what the King would be willing to do if his grandson was in Federico's possession. Having an heir to the throne under his thumb would have its advantages. He'd have to find the boy first. Everything hinged on that one thing. Succeed and his options would be limitless.

((If you haven't caught on, Federico is making a go at the prince. I can't let everyone else have all the fun. :D))

Reactions:
((Probably should better explain how this whole interception thing will work. Let me try to sum up what I have so far. Basically it involves a bunch of rolls. First, based on how many people are trying to intercept Ferran's ship, I do a roll to see if any of the interception attempts end up conflicting with each other and how badly it goes. Those in conflict will find it more difficult to succeed since they'll end up messing each other up. Then there are two more rolls, one to see if someone succeeds and another to see if they are spotted doing it. If multiple people are successful, a simple roll will determine which of those actually succeeds. If people are spotted, it becomes known that they tried to intercept Ferran, and if they are caught they are captured by some form of local authority. If it can be proven that they were up to no good, that character will be jailed. As for co-conspirators, they increase the chance of success, but also increase the chance of getting caught. That is about it for attempts to intercept Ferran.

It should also be noted that players also have the option to attempt to intercept the other players, like delpiero is trying to do. In this case, you can target a specific player if you have an IC reason to, otherwise you will end up interfering with a random player's attempt. I'll do a roll to see if you succeed in intercepting another player and another one to see which player is intercepted. This can be anything from slowing them down to catching them in the act. Hopefully this clarifies what I intend for this. It's kind of made up on the spot. :p))

Reactions:
((Probably should better explain how this whole interception thing will work. Let me try to sum up what I have so far. Basically it involves a bunch of rolls. First, based on how many people are trying to intercept Ferran's ship, I do a roll to see if any of the interception attempts end up conflicting with each other and how badly it goes. Those in conflict will find it more difficult to succeed since they'll end up messing each other up. Then there are two more rolls, one to see if someone succeeds and another to see if they are spotted doing it. If multiple people are successful, a simple roll will determine which of those actually succeeds. If people are spotted, it becomes known that they tried to intercept Ferran, and if they are caught they are captured by some form of local authority. If it can be proven that they were up to no good, that character will be jailed. As for co-conspirators, they increase the chance of success, but also increase the chance of getting caught. That is about it for attempts to intercept Ferran.

It should also be noted that players also have the option to attempt to intercept the other players, like delpiero is trying to do. In this case, you can target a specific player if you have an IC reason to, otherwise you will end up interfering with a random player's attempt. I'll do a roll to see if you succeed in intercepting another player and another one to see which player is intercepted. This can be anything from slowing them down to catching them in the act. Hopefully this clarifies what I intend for this. It's kind of made up on the spot. :p))

(( My request for assistance with "Pirates" is my IC way of trying to block the Trans-Pyrenean company. Sorry about the Prince-Bishop thing. It sounded like a reasonable idea in my head, especially since my character us getting more and more mixed up in secular affairs. I also didn't check to see if there were counts on Sardinia so that is my lack of forethought for you.))

(( My request for assistance with "Pirates" is my IC way of trying to block the Trans-Pyrenean company. Sorry about the Prince-Bishop thing. It sounded like a reasonable idea in my head, especially since my character us getting more and more mixed up in secular affairs. I also didn't check to see if there were counts on Sardinia so that is my lack of forethought for you.))

((Do you mean block 05060403's attempt or block the actual trading company from operating in Sardinia? Those two are two different things. Trying to stop 05's attempt you can't do anyway since you're already trying to intercept the prince. As for the trading company, it is now sanctioned by the Crown so trying to interfere with its trade would get you into serious trouble. I can understand why you might not think there are lords there. They haven't been the most active.))

((Hay you leave TPTC out of it! Maxime is doing it privately! He wouldn't want to destroy the reputation of the company by employing the "pirates" which aren't even sailing with the flag in the name of the company. What I'm saying is TPTC has nothing to do with it. And the "pirates" can't really be recognized until they localize the ship with the prince.))

Reactions:
Your Majesty,

Something about the Liveries act doesn't ring a bell for me... our treasury is also down recently, so I suggest we accumulate more money. We need a province in Jolof; if the Portuguese decide and they don't get a hand on a single province, they'll just wind up forcing Jolof into an indemnity.

I also heard of Federico. He just set off from Taranto for... unknown reasons. And although I heard of you sending your young grandson Ferran away (and indeed I have heard something during my trading time in Marseilles about the leader of the Trans-Pyrenean Trade Company and mercenary ships...), I do not know if these are actually related. ((This is why I desist in my attempt, combined with that fear of punishment :p)) However, I do hear reports of mercenary ships docking in Cagliari. I am moving in to investigate.

((No longer intercepting. Attempting an interception of O5's attempt instead with the navy.

Well, there might be a chance I discover the ship inadvertently :p))

Last edited:
((Well I just edited my post, so it might be counted as editing my votes when in reality I just combined my votes with an IC reason to intercept Federico (whoops, wrong reference) O5 in that letter :p

Well if you couldn't tell from the letter:
License of Liveries Bill: Nein
Peace with Jolof: Take a province
Mission: Money
))

((Do you mean block 05060403's attempt or block the actual trading company from operating in Sardinia? Those two are two different things. Trying to stop 05's attempt you can't do anyway since you're already trying to intercept the prince. As for the trading company, it is now sanctioned by the Crown so trying to interfere with its trade would get you into serious trouble. I can understand why you might not think there are lords there. They haven't been the most active.))

(( I thought i could block @05060403 and intercept the prince. I guess I was not clear about who I was intercepting, and I didn't know that I couldn't do both. See the answer to @05060403 below for more details.))
((Hay you leave TPTC out of it! Maxime is doing it privately! He wouldn't want to destroy the reputation of the company by employing the "pirates" which aren't even sailing with the flag in the name of the company. What I'm saying is TPTC has nothing to do with it. And the "pirates" can't really be recognized until they localize the ship with the prince.))
(( Raffaelo doesn't know that the "Pirates" are hired by the TPTC. He sees them as potential threats TO the TPTC and wants the company to make its Medditterenean headquarters in Cagliari. If you want to combine forces to try to intercept Ferran, I would be happy to be a part of the IC message. The whole misunderstanding comes from the fact that he thinks the pirates will destroy Cagliari's chances of being a major city. After all, why would he think other wise.))