• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As more and more guest have arrived Maxime smiled. He didn't think so many would come. Not everyone has answered, but he hoped they would come anyway. Sadly not everybody was able to come to the banquet. Such was the case with Juan de Soneta and Luigi Castelozzi. As most of the guest entered the dining hall Maxime said to everyone present:
"I wish to welcome you all in my mansion! We have gathered here to celebrate the glorious victory that Aragon has achieved over Castille. We have shown them that we are the more powerful Iberian nation, and humiliated them taking most of their land took during the reconquista, together with a very important gold mine in La Mancha. It would not be possible if not for the wisdom of King Ferran II, the wisdom and bravery of our generals, and sacrifice of many soldiers. Let's all raise a toast to all of those men! I would also like to introduce everyone to my family. Me beautiful wife Charlotte, my sons Philippe and Charles with Philippe being the older one having 12 years, and Charles being 10 years old. I would also like to introduce you all to my daughter Louise. She is 11 years old right now. But enough about me and my family! Let's get to the feast! I hope that all of you will enjoy the food that I have prepared for the feast. And I promise to you nothing but the best wine that i was able to get! Let the feast commence!"

((hi mike just reminding you about instating your 4th cardinal, as i've seen you've only so far named 3 in the character ledger ;) )

Vincenzo left behind his father, who rambled in outrage of Etxeto's candidature to the Cortz - 'All this inquisitory madness for what? Three years? If I could, I'd kill him with my bare hands...*cough*... He's lucky I can't. *cough*'. There was nothing he could do for him. For now, he tried to enjoy de Saint-Pierre's feast, together with his charming wife. It was with a bit of melancholy that he saw his daughter and son-in-law, but that feeling soon subsisted. The merchant truly procured some exquisite food and wine - although it of course couldn't reach the quality of his own Sicilian wine. After consuming some of it, he had an enjoyable argument with his son-in-law, the host and some French guests if Sicilian or French wine was better... And he soon enjoyed himself.

He tried addressing some urgent issues, joked around trying to get some sympathies on his side. He felt morally bound to. A good diplomat needs to be able to inspire confidence, and he needs the support of those he represents. Such was his opinion. If he couldn't gain some trust at a feast, he was unable to represent the crown in other courts. Cardinal Abate was a welcome guest as fellow Palermitan, and he tried to involve him in his wine discussion, as well as Jaume Limmona. He avoided everything about his father, or the Inquisition, and joined in the praise of the brave conquerors, sharing stories told by his father. He didn't hide his desire for peace, but didn't mention the plight of the peasants - one has to adapt one's words to the audience, after all. His father's numerous appeals to return to reality hadn't completely missed, although he still held his ideals higher than anything else. And from time to time, he excused himself to speak with his wife - how was she feeling? The longer the feast went on, the more comfortable he grew. A good day.

((hi mike just reminding you about instating your 4th cardinal, as i've seen you've only so far named 3 in the character ledger ;) )

((Well seeing as two of our archbishops are not active and the other has recently been appointed, I shall leave the slot open for now. Assume an NPC fills the role.))

((seems we had a mix up @alscon, for future reference Jasminia wa married to your son, and Alexandre was to @zenphoenix not vice versa, so you'd be seeing your son and his wife,your daughter in law/ Juans sister, not your son in law, my Alexandre, with your daughter. This is of course if you are referring to this matchmaking, and not a previously unmentioned marriage of one of your characters children.))

((seems we had a mix up @alscon, for future reference Jasminia wa married to your son, and Alexandre was to @zenphoenix not vice versa, so you'd be seeing your son and his wife,your daughter in law/ Juans sister, not your son in law, my Alexandre, with your daughter. This is of course if you are referring to this matchmaking, and not a previously unmentioned marriage of one of your characters children.))

((It's said unmentioned marriage, with a French noble from around Toulouse. Luigi's granddaughter and his old friend's grandson. I'll shed more light on them at some point to clear that confusion definitely ;) . But let's keep this out of the feast.:rolleyes:))

(( :( is Juan too young for you mike? ))

((Simply put, it seems unreasonable for the Pope to appoint someone who has been archbishop for a few days to the rank of cardinal. You'll have to wait at least an update or two.))

Carlo spent much of the feast talking with the other members of the court, especially Luigi Castelozzi's son, Vincenzo. He certainly seemed more diplomatic than his father, although Carlo had a feeling Vincenzo would prove to be just as tenacious. The host, Maxime, was certainly an intriguing character, although merchants tend to have the best fireside tales. Carlo's colleague, Cardinal Sastre, was present as well, although he looked visibly uncomfortable. And of course the King himself was present. Carlo managed to have a brief conversation with him, however Carlo didn't want to bother him with the business of the Council during the celebration. Everyone seemed quite optimistic for the recovery period following the war, but Carlo remained cautious as he knew it would be a long time before the Kingdom would return to normal.

During the feast, Antonio chatted with many of the others present. He had fought in the war with Castile, using the ancient Roman sword passed down to him from his father to slay several of them himself. War was horrifying, yes, but Aragon had won it.
He raised his glass of fine French wine to the king.

A toast to the King and to the Kingdom! Long live the King, long live Aragon!

~Antonio de Leon

Straying between gregarious and solemn, jolly and serious, Alfonso D'Este made his way around the feast hall with a glass of Sicilian wine in honor of General Castelozzi. Having animated talks about Naples with Limmona, serious family business with Cardinal Sastre, and light humorous conversation with Stefano Von Thun took up most of the feast. At the end of the dessert course D'Este produced a dark green bottle from a small wooden box. " Ladies and gentlemen of the royal court, may I present to you a bottle of the exotic Madiera wine, produced in the far flung Portuguese isle and carried aboard many a vessel to as far as India. May it represent the future of beloved Aragon and her great King Ferran. To victory and health!"

-Alfonso D'Este

King Ferran drifted around the room, participating in idle chatter with random courtiers trying to win his favour. He made sure to speak with everyone of importance, as well as a few that had yet to accomplish much. Despite recent conflict at court, they had all banded together to support the war effort. This was not just a celebration of their victory, but a celebration of what they could accomplish together. Ferran only regretted that Luigi Castelozzi and Sebastian de Loarre were not here to enjoy it, what with the former on his death bed and the latter already having passed from this world. It was cruel that those most responsible could not celebrate their achievements.

After thanking the host for the wonderful party, and complimenting his home of course, Ferran wandered out onto a balcony to get some air. The one disadvantage of being king was the constant attention. Sometimes it was nice to be alone, if just for a bit. He took in a deep breath, relaxing in the cool night air. This was just what he needed.

The door opened behind the king and he let out a sigh. So much for some peace and quiet. He turned around to meet his unexpected guest. It was some middle-aged man he had never seen before. His features looked familiar, so perhaps he belonged to an important family, but other than that Ferran had no idea who he was.

"May I help you?" the King asked with a slight sneer.

The man bowed and said, "I apologize for disturbing you, but I was hoping to speak with you... alone."

Ferran raised an eyebrow and casually eyed his surroundings. Two guards stood next to the doorway, staring off into space but otherwise alert. If this man meant to harm him, he'd have a hard time accomplishing that. "I'm afraid I don't much feel like conversing with a stranger."

The man smirked and nodded in understanding. "Of course, how foolish of me. I go by the name Federico."

Ferran's eyes widened in sudden realization at the name and he stood up straight. He considered calling for the nearby guards, but Federico had yet to make hostile move. It was also likely that the man could hurt him before the guards intervened. With a scowl, the King said, "What do you want? Have you come here to steal my crown like your father before you?"

Federico put his hand to his mouth as though Ferran had said something offensive. "I intend no such thing. My father tried to usurp your brother because he thought he was a tyrant. Even then, he could not garner enough support. I would have even less than him and a weaker claim. I'm not a fool."

"Then why are you here unless you want a death sentence?"

"I have come to make amends," Federico said. "Our two branches of the family have been at each other's throats for too long."

"Your brother murdered my brother," Ferran said plainly.

"And your brother ordered the assassination of my father," Federico said stone-faced. "If we continue down this line, our two bloodlines will wipe each other out."

Ferran grumbled to himself. The man had a point. Then again, he could just have him killed and end it here. Yes, that sounded good. He raised his hand as though to call the guards over, but Federico grabbed his wrist.

"I would not do that if I were you. If I don't get out of this party unharmed, a friend of mine will release some very damaging rumours about you, ones that I assure you are quite true."

Ferran scoffed. "You have nothing on me."

Federico grinned. "Don't I? I know of your indiscretion with a certain Giuseppe, as well as a few items you possess that the Inquisition may find quite heretical."

Curses. This Federico knew exactly what he was talking about. Killing him now would be too risky. He'd have to try to reason with him, as annoying as that was. "Very well, what is it that you want? If you say my crown, I will have you beheaded, regardless of the consequences."

"I want my mother's titles in Naples returned to me as her rightful heir."

"The audacity," Ferran said, drawing the eyes of the two guards. His face had gone crimson and he resisted the urge to slap the man. "Those titles were forfeit the moment your father committed treason."

"I don't care why they were taken away," Federico said. "You have the power to return them to me. I also wouldn't mind a match with some young Neapolitan lady either."

"The current lord of Taranto may not be pleased with his title being revoked."

"Do you think I care?" Federico said with a laugh. "Either you can piss off a minor lord or you risk having your reign threatened as a whole. Make your choice."

Federico let out an angry sigh and tapped his fingers on the balcony balustrade. He did not like being blackmailed like this, not at all. Perhaps he could promise this man his title and then stab him in the back later. Most likely though, Federico would have contingencies in place to ensure that if Ferran moved against him the rumours would leak. He'd have to go through with it and keep a close eye on the Bastard's son to ensure he didn't do anything too ambitious.

"Fine, you have a deal. I will send word to Taranto that they have a new lord."

Federico grinned.
"You will not regret this. You may think of me as a threat, but as long as you don't get in my way, you will find that I am a more faithful and obedient servant than most of your petulant nobility."

"Don't blame me if I find that hard to believe," Ferran said with a scowl.

"Regardless, I will not bother you any further. Have a pleasant evening, my King." Federico gave a light bow and went back inside.

Ferran waited a moment before following him back in. He wasn't surprised to find the man nowhere in sight. Federico had probably found some way out of the mansion without being noticed. As long as he was gone, Ferran was content. He went back to mingling with the other guests, doing his best to forget what had just transpired.

Reactions:
((In a letter to the court))

Xs93UHA.png

With the Ottomans no longer a threat and the Genoese trying to fill the vacuum, I believe it prudent to keep our eye on them. They tried to claim Sardinia at one point and they threaten our interest in the Mediterranean. They are more of a rival than the Ottomans are now. ((Since we have a free rival slot, I want to rival Genoa. I'm adding it to my Chancellor's Plan.))

- His Majesty, Ferran II de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Naples, and Protector of the Greeks

Reactions:
Ernst could not attend the feast, for much more pressing matters had been about. He was studying a map of the known world, just scoffing at the possibility that there could be land further out west before a ship hit Asia. Ferdinand had shown an interest in exploration, as had his second son, whom he had named Wolfgang. Something about the known parts of Africa also was unsettling... there could be some weird quirk to its shape that could facilitate exploration. ((See what I'm hinting at?)) Portugal had loved exploration since the beginning, and Castile was also interested, although they couldn't get a headstart after Aragon annihilated their navy in the war of revenge. Aragon needed to make its move fast, and Ernst had suggested before that heading southwards would be a wiser move... He turned back towards the map.

Name: Alejandro Sancho
Date of Birth: February 10, 1478
Birthplace: Barcelona
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Alejandro was born to a well-to-do middle class family in Barcelona. His father was a successful blacksmith and attempted to teach his son the trade. However, Alejandro would have none of it, as he joined a merchant fleet that traded goods all across the Mediterranean. The young man became entranced with the naval life and sea adventures and hungered for more. On a trip from Barcelona to Lisbon he joined a Portuguese fleet headed by Vasco de Game. The fleet travelled to Africa and India, picking up many riches, spices, and treasures. Alejandro saw wonders and sights he could scarcely even imagine on the trip and dreamed of visiting India again and perhaps lands even further beyond.

He found his way back home to Barcelona where he managed to find work on the Lleona, one of the galleys in the Aragonese navy. Though working on a galley was difficult work, he managed to catch the eye of Admiral Lubecker and was promoted to captain of the ship. Soon the War of Revenge broke out and the navy scurried to the Mediterranean. Alejandro served with distinction in the famous battles in the Aegean and Adriatic against the Papal Navy, as the Lleona sunk many enemy vessels, earning the captain great praise and renown.

After the completion of the war, he yearned for more adventure. But with the top ranks of the navy closed out to non-nobles and no war on the horizon, he took leave of the navy. Seeking further opportunities and glory, Alejandro entered court armed with letters of introduction from Admiral Lubcker ((I hope that is okay, wzahng)) and the now-famous Vasco de Gama. Alejandro believes that Aragon should begin sending vessels to India to tap into the riches of the Orient, establish a foothold in the spice trade, and encourage exploration of mysterious lands. He agrees with many experts that their might be a shorter route to India via the Atlantic Ocean that Aragon should explore.

Alejandro introduces himself to the court at the feast

Greetings. My name is Alejandro Sancho. I have served in the navy at the Battles of the Aegean and Adriatic and sailed all the way to India with the famous Vasco de Gama. I seek a place at court and hope to help His Majesty expand the glory of his kingdom through exploration and trade.

He bows

Reactions:
Name: Alejandro Sancho
Date of Birth: February 10, 1478
Birthplace: Barcelona
Class: Courtier
Religion: Catholic
Bio: Alejandro was born to a well-to-do middle class family in Barcelona. His father was a successful blacksmith and attempted to teach his son the trade. However, Alejandro would have none of it, as he joined a merchant fleet that traded goods all across the Mediterranean. The young man became entranced with the naval life and sea adventures and hungered for more. On a trip from Barcelona to Lisbon he joined a Portuguese fleet headed by Vasco de Game. The fleet travelled to Africa and India, picking up many riches, spices, and treasures. Alejandro saw wonders and sights he could scarcely even imagine on the trip and dreamed of visiting India again and perhaps lands even further beyond.

He found his way back home to Barcelona where he managed to find work on the Lleona, one of the galleys in the Aragonese navy. Though working on a galley was difficult work, he managed to catch the eye of Admiral Lubecker and was promoted to captain of the ship. Soon the War of Revenge broke out and the navy scurried to the Mediterranean. Alejandro served with distinction in the famous battles in the Aegean and Adriatic against the Papal Navy, as the Lleona sunk many enemy vessels, earning the captain great praise and renown.

After the completion of the war, he yearned for more adventure. But with the top ranks of the navy closed out to non-nobles and no war on the horizon, he took leave of the navy. Seeking further opportunities and glory, Alejandro entered court armed with letters of introduction from Admiral Lubcker ((I hope that is okay, wzahng)) and the now-famous Vasco de Gama. Alejandro believes that Aragon should begin sending vessels to India to tap into the riches of the Orient, establish a foothold in the spice trade, and encourage exploration of mysterious lands. He agrees with many experts that their might be a shorter route to India via the Atlantic Ocean that Aragon should explore.

Alejandro introduces himself to the court at the feast

Greetings. My name is Alejandro Sancho. I have served in the navy at the Battles of the Aegean and Adriatic and sailed all the way to India with the famous Vasco de Gama. I seek a place at court and hope to help His Majesty expand the glory of his kingdom through exploration and trade.

He bows
((First, you spelled my name wrong the second time you mentioned it (the first time I'll excuse because you just missed the ümlaut). And as for the letters of introduction, of course I'll allow for that. :)))

Duke Luigi was feeling worse and worse, but he couldn't just let this stand. He was full of rage, and that rage fueled his hand as he wrote two letters to the court. Both directed against that impatient fool Etxeto who had him unrightfully accused. 'Two can play that game... Even if I won't see the end of it!' Revenge would be his. No matter if he'd live to see it or not - he still couldn't just strangle him.

myKh8vJ.png

To the Nobility of Aragon,

This might very well be the last you hear of me. I hope you all had a good time at the feast, and I excuse myself for not being able to attend. As the most noble Duke of Barcelona, I will soon disappear from the face of this world.
But this is not why I am writing these words. I hear that the Count of Navarra wants to enter the Cortz. An outrage! How can someone who has attacked a member of this noble assembly enter it just after said member has been proven innocent? Someone who obviously thinks that his house has some 'natural right' to sit in the Cortz? This man thinks he is better than all of you! We are all nobles, not just him! How can such a man, who didn't respect the members of the Cortz and holds himself superior to all others defend your rights? He wouldn't care! Any transgression against you, as long as it wouldn't involve him, wouldn't catch his interests! You have to act against this! Present your nominations! Vote against him! But do something, else the Cortz will crumble as de Agramunt and this... ...... will not come to any decision! Act!

In one last appeal to think of the consequences, respectfully,
Duke Luigi Castelozzi of Trinacria

To the most esteemed clergy of Aragon,

I am glad that the Holy Inquisition has brought forth no evidence incriminating me. For someone at death's door like me, a confirmed innocence is worth more than all titles. I can only thank the Lord and you as his servants for this. But now it is time to face the truth behind this investigation. It is Conde Etxeto who called for it, the same man that openly displays more piety than anyone else. I believe it is only a facade. A true believer doesn't need to use Him in every sentence he pronounces. Only a man who tries to hide his true beliefs would put 'the Almighty', 'in the name of the Lord' or any other proclamation of Him into all he says. I therefore ask you as my last favour to control him as you did me: Is he just a very pious man, or is he the contrary? May you shine some light on his true motivations. I may not see its results, but I do not ask for it out of my personal relations with that count, but to remove the stain of heresy from this kingdom.

Faithfully,

((Calling for the Inquisition against Bartolo Etxeto... he won't go down without a fight, of course :D))

To the most esteemed clergy of Aragon,

I am glad that the Holy Inquisition has brought forth no evidence incriminating me. For someone at death's door like me, a confirmed innocence is worth more than all titles. I can only thank the Lord and you as his servants for this. But now it is time to face the truth behind this investigation. It is Conde Etxeto who called for it, the same man that openly displays more piety than anyone else. I believe it is only a facade. A true believer doesn't need to use Him in every sentence he pronounces. Only a man who tries to hide his true beliefs would put 'the Almighty', 'in the name of the Lord' or any other proclamation of Him into all he says. I therefore ask you as my last favour to control him as you did me: Is he just a very pious man, or is he the contrary? May you shine some light on his true motivations. I may not see its results, but I do not ask for it out of my personal relations with that count, but to remove the stain of heresy from this kingdom.

Faithfully,

((Calling for the Inquisition against Bartolo Etxeto... he won't go down without a fight, of course :D))

It is inappropriate for the accused to make such a request whilst the tribunal has as yet to pronounce any verdict.

It is inappropriate for the accused to make such a request whilst the tribunal has as yet to pronounce any verdict.

To my knowledge, I am innocent, confirmed by the good Cardinal Abate. It seems there is some discord within the Inquisitors. So be it then, postpone my request if you deem it necessary to clear your internal conflicts.

Etxeto-arms.gif

A Message from Conde Bartolo Etxeto of House Etxeto
Forced by the hand of a petty, dying man, Bartolo had to reach again for his quill and start the process of writing notes.

To the Nobility of Aragon,

The Honoured Duke of Trinacria is near death, having lived a long and full life, the Lord has sought to begin the process of returning the Duke to Him. However, as it can happen, such a process can addle the wits of even the most decorated of men. Sadly, this is the case in the honoured Duke. The Lord will soon be with him, and until then it is our duty that the Duke is properly taken care of. In the same vein, we cannot let the humours of madness strike him, and us, down.

The plea you, and I, have received are the result of a man who has his humours twisted. House Etxeto, if allowed by the heir of House Castelozzi, is willing to send the best physician available in Navarra to see that the honoured Duke is in proper humours when his time to join the Lord arrives.

As to his claims, they are not to be taken seriously,

Respectfully,

Conde Bartolo Etxeto of Navarra