• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@zenphoenix and @texasjoshua are offered positions on the Cabinet. And apologies to @alscon. I couldn't see Joan ever tolerating a Phoenix on the Cabinet while he decides the positions. I'm sure Faixon will be ready to give him an earful. :D))

((But of course :D. Just as it was clear that he would complain against the unlawful elections. :p))

"Because it should be in the nature of a minister to simply cower before the powerful and do their bidding."
Faixòn left this opening sentence standing in Parliament. One Fénix was writing down his words, to be brought to the people of Valencia as soon as it was finished. Only as another MP tried to speak, he continued.
"It is through criticism of the current state of affairs that society evolves. That a government can meet the ever-changing needs of the people. Obviously, my Prince, You believe that government and military are similar. That all that needs to be done is to bark around some orders and everything will be calm. Deserters? Someone has to be executed from time to time. Brought to government, that means simply to silence the opposition. How great that the nobles are crowding around their new strong man and already are trying to earn his favour by advocating for that rigorous military discipline You so much adore. The fate of traitors, the defense of the monarchy, such... powerful words. All done primarily in the interest of... themselves. For what else does it accomplish than to protect their power? Protect the monarchy? Please - the current laws are clearly enough to serve that purpose. Better to execute everyone before there can be any doubt. There it is again - military discipline. Exactly what is needed in these dire times. While we are at it, let us nominate a general as minister of Colonial Affairs. Should they show any type of unrest - he'll know what to do. Good military strategies. Better keep a silent puppet around than a man with long experience and admirable service. I wonder if there has ever been a subordinate in the Prince's army who had other ideas and the misfortune to speak them out loud. Demoted to private and put into the front line, I guess? Anyway, if I would 'rile up discontent' - without so much as even to fulfil one of these treason laws - against the government, aren't you giving me perfect ammunition to do just that? 'Sorry, people, but whenever someone tries to give you more rights, we'll stop listening to him. Oh, and before you do anything stupid, it will have you quickly executed. So go to work and shut up. Have a nice day.' A general should think ahead. And firing an old man from an office he performed in admirably surely isn't a wise move. But enough about that, the people will judge it.

We are in no danger of running out of land in the forseeable future. The late Empress Dowager has already considered such a thing and created a plan to incentivize transfer of land to the Crown, which will be distributed to such soldiers.

And I do not know of these "citizens" you speak of. It sounds like a Republican institution. We are a Monarchy. The Subjects of the Crown are afforded legal protections and other privileges afforded to those with the right to call themselves Hispanian like the right to decide which Christian Sect to be a part of.

Those who own Property have a measure of wealth to pay the taxes as well as to maintain and utilize that property. Wealth that can be used to purchase many things, including Education. With Education they will be more able to better understand the issues that face the Empire and more able to vote intelligently instead of being swayed by populism. The Empire doesn't need the most popular approach to governance, it needs the best. And if limiting the class of voters better allows this, then so be it. And if some slim minority rise up in revolt, they will suffer the fate of traitors, which is what they would be should they do so.

I wonder when the oh-so-great Empress Dowager, praised be her name, is canonised. Likely won't take far longer than a Hispanian on the Holy See. Before you all cry out in protest for disrespect or any such thing, isn't that the very reason why I should no longer be a minister? As Assemblyman, just as much as as minister, I will freely say whatever is the truth about her despotism and her Imperial faction, consisting of bootlickers trying to get some power in exchange for total obedience. Wise decision, wise decision. To have this food chain and making the entire empire dependant on the nobility and clergy. Perfect. What are subjects, citizens - a fitting word for a renewed Rome, no matter what you think - other than some necessary evil the upper classes need to enjoy their luxury? Why is education provided to these people, who obviously lack any intelligence in your opinion? It must be my mistake that I thought this slim minority of idiots is a vast majority of men who have enjoyed the effects of our educational acts. My mistake that I don't share the belief of an aristocratic government where everybody merely cares for his own profit to be better than a government where all men have a voice. And also my mistake that I thought corruption was illegal. For obviously a man can only buy his vote, thereby influencing a state decision through money, therefore deals out a bribe in exchange for his vote. 'The best.' Clearly five rich men won't care for the death of millions if they have one more ducat in their pocket, while these millions will condemn it harshly! How can the first decision be better?

The will of the people is already represnetative. Voters within Prefectures choose their own delegation to the Assembly. Using the whole drowns out the wishes of the minority.

This is why I would prefer the Proportional Election Act. An act that truly guarantees the wishes of the minority.

*Altair stands from his spot within the Cortz, within the past few years Altair had spoken less and less. Many of the older members of the Assembly recognized the fiery look in Altair's eyes from his younger days. Many of the younger parliamentarians were unaware of the passionate figure that still lay buried underneath the venerable front Altair often presented. Each of his speeches were closely considered by even the opponents of the Imperials, as Altair had managed to gain a great deal of influence over the Cortz in his time.*

"When I first joined the Cortz, after the death of my father, the question of the Assembly was still new. I have seen for decades the ongoing struggle for the removal of the appointed members in the Assembly, yet a real debate has not been had in years. Many members of the Assembly, and many more, admittedly, of the Cortz, have fallen into the battle lines of their ancestors to either stand for or against the appointed assemblymen. Many have forgotten why they are important, and I will hope to explain as well, how this also applies to the vote.

Imagine if you will, a small town in Hispania. They of course, are incredibly diverse. The town I come from in Italy is very different from one in Greece, or Iberia, or even the new world! Now within this town there a great many people, different people I emphasize. You have a farmer, and a carpenter, and a preacher, and a merchant. Why, many of the firebreathers in the Assembly ask, should one be given the privilege to vote, and not another?

There are of course many reasons for this, but the answer is simple, in a way. When a merchant in Italy decides what goods to trade, what investments to make, and what ships to use, it is the head of the company that makes the decisions, for his gaze spans the whole company. He can see all the aspects that are necessary to understand to make a wise business decisions. This does not mean any other member of the company is in any way lesser, in fact, many of my friends in Marina will grudgingly admit that it is the apprentices that work the hardest and know the most, and what they know is critical to the company running successfully. This however, does not mean they know everything, as many masters must remind their students. They are lacking the details and the vision necessary to make the critical decisions, though without their actions the company could not prosper.

Hispania's voting codes work similarly. It begins with the land. If an individual owns land, they certainly wish to preserve it, to keep it and help it grow and develop for all of their future generations. They therefore must keep aware, and look about them and see their community, and when they vote they vote with the best interests of their community in mind. Like the head of the trade company, they have come to a careful conclusion of what is best not only for them, but their town, as they do live in their town.

But we go beyond that, we also include other notable figures in this town. Though they do not own land, they are invested, they too know that to ignore the details will lead to trouble for the whole village. Additionally, if someone becomes invested, we do not stop them from voting. I fervently support any Hispanian's effort to better themselves, and once they do they receive the reward for their toil.

Apart from this, many forget that the privilege to vote is not everything, for what do these votes do? They only allow for a representative within the assembly. They do not control every vote. But they may ask for their representative to bring their interests before Parliament. Similarly, without the privilege to vote one could with ease approach someone within their town to ask them to contact the assembly to bring their problem forward. I know many of the richer members of the assembly may forget it, but paper is not cheap. And more importantly ink. While the Hispanian school system is now the pride of the world and many within our Empire can both read and write, not every member of the empire can afford to reach the richest members of the Assembly here in Valencia, not to mention correspond like I do with many of the prominent figures in Cremona.

Many in the Assembly try to paint us members of the Cortz as unconnected with those who vote, but did any of you know that whenever I am at my estate in Cremona, which is admittedly rare these days, I entertain guests of all backgrounds for two hours, three days a week to hear the concerns of everyone I can. How many of you can claim to go to such lengths? I say freely that it is a relief to see so many different faces, as it seems here in Parliment that I see nothing but the same face with different names.

I have rambled enough about the vote. But the appointed assembly members, and Cortz members, exist for the same reason. Do many of you remember the dismal of the Turks by the government in Byzantium such a short while ago? That is what the appointed assembly men are for. They insure that we have all faces of the empire, in one form or another. It would be easy with elections in the assembly, and inheritance in the Cortz for someone to be missed. Hispania is a very big place, I know, I've traveled it. No place is alike, and this insures that every corner of Hispania will have a voice, or at least a chance, to voice their disagreements, of which we have many.

Our laws were wisely written, and it would be foolish of us to throw away centuries of tradition and development in search of that unreachable "progress". Hispania is not perfect, and it never will be, despite our best efforts. But our system is sound, and I hope that our younger members now understand better the importance of the current system. I as always encourage anyone to come by my office with their questions. Or come to my estate in Cremona while I am there to see and understand, and actually meet, the "common folk."

Alair Spoleto, Chamberlain of the Cortz, Count of Cremona, Imperial Party

Faixòn then grinned as he turned towards Count Spoleto, ignoring any reactions to his speech so far.

"My dearest count of Cremona, from one experienced man to another, I must thank you. Thank you for having given a speech and an example that says exactly the contrary of what you wanted to say."

He enjoyed the reactions to this opening once again.
"We have your town. The members, merchants, apprentices in their company. Each one acting for himself, only the company head acting for the company as a whole. How is that in any way different from the government? Each member of the company is an elector. Each one wants what is best for himself. Profit. As apprentice, become a merchant, be paid. It is the task of the head to answer these wishes as best as he can, or his company will end. Seen as the state, the state is the head. It can only work when both merchants and apprentices are heard. For a company without apprentices dies out one day.

Your town is filled of individuals. Those who have land, who are notable persons, of course they wish to do the best for this town. If it is destroyed, it is bad for them. If it flourishes, it is good for them. But not just for these people! Every inhabitant of this town has an interest in keeping it in good condition! The better the town is off, the better they are too. For all townspeople their own good depends more or less on that of the town. You will certainly find a man who would love to see the town's church burn - amongst all classes. The man who would likely be tasked with rebuilding it, and those who work for him. But most people will want to keep this building intact. Each man wants the best for himself - and that includes wanting the best for his town, in extension, Hispania.

Now, everyone has their interests. And you say it can be brought to the elected. Now tell me, why would an Imperial baron fully convinced of his own superiority listen to the ramblings of a peasant? If his position doesn't depend in the least on that poor man? He won't. He would if these were potential electors. And don't forget that Parliament is not permanently in session - just as every self-respecting Assemblyman should, I am spending my time between these sessions to go to the people who have elected me and listen to their concerns. Just as you said - how many 'entertain guests'? Your Imperial friends know that they will be elected for keeping things the same, no need to show themselves. How strange that you complain about only one face - at least you see more than I do when I look at the Imperials. With you as an exception.

And the Turks? Are you aware of what you are saying? Appointment is, by defintion, what one man wants. His Highness may now be wise enough to guarantee fair representation, but I am sure that sometime in the future, this won't be the case. Only an election can guarantee they are heard. A proportional election, for it is hard to make the percentage of some minority disappear without a trace.

These 'centuries of tradition' are worth nothing without that second part you mentioned: 'development'. Hispania has witnessed what happens when this part lacks. Anyone who doesn't pray to the Saints who saved Hispania from the antichrist - the same antichrist who led Germany to existence as a modern state - must see the flaws that have to be repaired. I am not supporting the methods of said man, but neither do I fail to look over the barriers of their holy word. I see the archaic constructions put into place to preserve their power. What absolutely needs to be done for said 'development - or the path that will be taken without it. It is a future with at least the freedom Leon mentioned! And a future where every Hispanian is represented equally in his government!"

*Altair nodded slowly listening carefully to Faixon's words*

"I am glad that once again you have spoken up. *Altair gave a sharp glance to nearby imperials who had already begun to speak softly among themselves over Faxion.* "For those that listen, admittedly many of your points have some merit, as much as those around me would hate to admit it. I have just struck upon a novel idea, that is radical in my view, but may meet your expectations. Let me think upon it further, expect a letter from me and hopefully we can meet to address these concerns of yours."

I will open this letter by letting you know that I am extremely upset by your removal from the position of the Minister of the Interior, as much as we disagree in matters of politics, I like to think we are rather similar on our views in economic principles. Regardless, it would feel wrong of me to step into your shoes in the Ministry without your leave, you have run it with incredible success for many years and I doubt that I could do better. Similarly, I will miss your voice in the cabinet, while we clash, as you always say, many voices are necessary to gather a full understanding of the people of Hispania. A cabinet of people who all believe the same is a great folly. I say this not as any means to sway you toward my idea, but as a true statement, and I hope you will view my idea on nothing but it's merits.

Now, you must agree that the rule of the mob is a dangerous thing. Ideas change quickly and often dangerously, they are whimsical, and often well meaning, which makes them all the more dangerous. The government should certainly follow the will of the people, but not too quickly lest the nation tear itself apart through rapid changes in belief. That of course is the reason behind the Cortz. However, as you say, and I must admit despite my general hesitation to expand the right to vote, the ability to be heard is important. Therefore, I once again put forth my Third House proposal, but different. Instead of only being filled with appointed individuals, most of the house will be elected. However, not only elected, but elected SOLELY by the so-called "lower class" we would, of course, require some measure of verification that they do indeed have vested interest in Hispania, but the vote could be expanded there. Additionally, the Crown would possess exactly half of the seats to distribute, but each individual must be appointed from the various regions of the empire, and cannot already be seated in the Assembly or the Cortz.

This would of course prevent any one house from blocking legislation, while giving all peoples and classes a voice. The Emperor would of course retain his current powers allowing for a good amount of balance. If you find this idea acceptable, I ask that you join me in negotiating more solid terms. I am sending a letter to the Emperor to ask him to meet to discuss the Third House Law regardless and I freely admit that your influence would certainly help pass any compromise I put forward. Please let me know if you wish to join me in any discussions. I look forward to your letter.

Altair Spoleto, Chamberlin of the Cortz, Count of Cremona, Imperial Party

*Altair was not pleased with the recent developments. Altair liked Pere a great deal, the lad was very sharp in his mind, despite his general shyness for responsibility. Altair had been surprised when Pere had one day decided to accept his open invitation to all members of the cabinet to join him for a drink after any cabinet meeting. The two had drank late into the night talking about anything but politics. Since that night, Pere had visited occasionally, but rarely, to ask for advice on one tidbit or another - mostly minor matters in foreign affairs. Altair's hawkish days were long behind him, but his perchance for words and his knowledge of several European languages proved useful in phrasing one diplomatic reply or another. Altair had even subtly ended the campaign of a young imperial assemblyman who had made a joke of Pere's speech impediment during an Imperial party meeting. Joan, however, was another matter. The two had never met outside a cabinet meeting or another official function, and Altair didn't like him much. He was a strong advocate for war, overconfident and ambitious. All of which bade poorly for the situation of Joan as Prime Minister. All of this culminated in the back of Altair's mind into a great fear, what would the Minister of War, the Prime Minister, and the Son of the Emperor do, when he was one step from the throne and in charge of the military? Altair disliked strongly the split of the Prime Minister position and the throne, but what was he to do? All he could. He would support Pere. Therefore, when the news was released to treat Pere as if he was Emperor he tediously removed a draft of a letter to Alfons from his desk and copied it word by word, changing nothing. He would, of course, not mention any of this to anyone...*

To be clear, this is an identical letter sent to both Pere and Alfons
Your Highness,
After some great thought over the issues of voting and appointed members I have decided to resubmit the Third House Bill. Recently, talk in the Cortz gave me a novel idea. With your permission I would ask that we find a time to meet and discuss it, it is a rather radical idea(especially for me as an imperial) and I would like your approval before I proceed forward further. While I do not agree with all that those pushing for an expansion of votes and removal of the appointed members say, I understand their arguments, and I would like to come to a compromise that benefits Hispania. Please let me know when we could best meet to discuss it, I recommend bringing a number of aides schooled in law, the reform I aim for is not simple by any means.

Please respond with all due haste if you would like to meet.

Your Humble Servant,
Altair Spoleto, Count of Cremona

Prime Minister,

I graciously thank you for your request for me to take up the position of the Minister of the Interior. I humbly ask for a few days to consider your offer, my work in the Cortz keeps me very busy and I wish to insure I would have the time to fulfill the position properly for the prosperity of Hispania, as our previous minister did so well.

Kindest Regards,
Altair Spoleto, Chamberlain of the Cortz, Count of Cremona, Imperial Faction

Altair liked Pere a great deal, the lad was very sharp in his mind, despite his general shyness for responsibility.

((I couldn't help but laugh at this a bit. I'm obviously not portraying Pere well enough if someone thinks he's "very sharp in his mind". I suppose if his wife prepped him beforehand he could at least give off that appearance if needed. :p))

Your Highness,
After some great thought over the issues of voting and appointed members I have decided to resubmit the Third House Bill. Recently, talk in the Cortz gave me a novel idea. With your permission I would ask that we find a time to meet and discuss it, it is a rather radical idea(especially for me as an imperial) and I would like your approval before I proceed forward further. While I do not agree with all that those pushing for an expansion of votes and removal of the appointed members say, I understand their arguments, and I would like to come to a compromise that benefits Hispania. Please let me know when we could best meet to discuss it, I recommend bringing a number of aides schooled in law, the reform I aim for is not simple by any means.

Please respond with all due haste if you would like to meet.

Your Humble Servant,
Altair Spoleto, Count of Cremona

JpsioAG.png

I cannot express how gladdened I am that there is at least one member of Parliament who seems willing to seek compromise or a solution besides throwing out the same bill for consideration over and over again. I admit, your Third House Bill intrigued me when it was first presented, for it was an alternative approach, one I had never considered. Clearly it still requires some work, otherwise it would have likely passed the first time, but at least it is a step forward towards finding a solution that may actually work. I will gladly attend such a discussion, along with my son Pere.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, King of Bavaria & Transdacia, & Protector of the Greeks

Prime Minister,

I graciously thank you for your request for me to take up the position of the Minister of the Interior. I humbly ask for a few days to consider your offer, my work in the Cortz keeps me very busy and I wish to insure I would have the time to fulfill the position properly for the prosperity of Hispania, as our previous minister did so well.

Kindest Regards,
Altair Spoleto, Chamberlain of the Cortz, Count of Cremona, Imperial Faction

Take some time to consider the offer if needed then. It is a weighty position, and indeed will add to your current responsibilities. You seem a hardworking man though, and I suspect you will find less difficulty than others in taking on such a position. I do hope as a fellow member of the Imperials, you will accept in time.

- Prince Joan de Trastámara, Prime Minister and Minister of War

((I always read it and thought that he just didn't have the aptitude for politics, or public speaking. Besides not wanting to be involved in politics sounds pretty smart to me ;)

I'll wait to see Faxion's response then and if he wants to join us consider the four of us then meeting about the idea I proposed to Faxion, if he disagrees with it I'll think about whatever his response is. Sorry If i misjudged your character though! I took a few liberties with the backstory, I hope that was alright.))

A swarthy Arab is admitted before Parliament as the Ambassador for Najd by the Emperor.

I thank you for allowing my admittance before this august body. His Majesty, Sultan Fahd I Sa'ud of Najd, expresses his personal gratitude at all that Hispania has done for both him and his subjects. Despite our difference in faith, we have lived harmoniously with each other, and His Majesty is quite pleased to hear that the most holy city of Mecca has remained untouched under your watch. We are not ambivalent to all that your country has done for ours. I thus have been given a formal request to present before you by His Majesty. Due to past hostilities with aggressive neighbours that have damaged the prestige of the Sultanate of Najd and reduced its territory, His Majesty requests that the relationship between our two nations be extended to include a formal guarantee of protection. While His Majesty hopes that the goodwill of His Imperial Highness, Emperor Alfons IX, and his subjects will be enough to seek such an agreement, he is willing to concede certain privileges to Hispania to guarantee the protection and preservation of the Sultanate of Najd. If required, His Majesty is willing to submit to the will of His Imperial Highness in matters of foreign affairs. His Majesty only asks for Hispania's protection in turn, as well as non-interference in matters of faith, especially in regards to the holy cities of Islam. I shall give you all time to contemplate His Majesty's offer.

- The Ambassador of Najd

((If it's not clear, Najd is requesting vassalization. For those who might consider this gamey, they would have actually accepted in-game if their development was under 100, and since we raised it to that point through our recent war, I don't find it too far a stretch that it'd be possible. This is just the natural culmination of the event chain.))

I would like to participate more in the Government and would like to serve as an Imperial Diplomat. Please consider my request.

Adalberto Giordano

I always welcome the addition of new diplomats to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. May your serve your country well.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara, Minister of Foreign Affairs

((Cabinet))

A-a-after considering our option and speaking with advisors, I believe a war with Yemen may be necessary. Our b-b-business in Arabia is not yet done. With our control of the Red Sea not yet obtained, a w-w-war with Yemen will fix that. There is also the p-p-possibility that we could strengthen Najd further by giving them more land. That key waterway cannot be compromised

Africa has always b-b-been an important continent to us and should continue to be so. Kaffa has been humbled, but there are still further routes of expansion. Ajuurraan is v-v-vulnerable and their annexation would secure East Africa south of the Horn of Africa.

Asia has became an important s-s-source of trade, and better control of the key routes near Malacca would benefit us. Scandinavia is already trying to extend their p-p-presence into Malacca itself, but we'd be better off focusing on Pasai. The c-c-conquest of Pasai would give us control of the rest of Sumatra and the western half of the Straits of Malacca.

Diplomacy with our f-f-fellow Europeans must remain peaceful. We should keep on their good terms and foster goodwill amongst them.

- Crown Prince Pere de Trastámara, Minister of Foreign Affairs

((I always read it and thought that he just didn't have the aptitude for politics, or public speaking. Besides not wanting to be involved in politics sounds pretty smart to me ;)

I'll wait to see Faxion's response then and if he wants to join us consider the four of us then meeting about the idea I proposed to Faxion, if he disagrees with it I'll think about whatever his response is. Sorry If i misjudged your character though! I took a few liberties with the backstory, I hope that was alright.))

((It wasn't a problem. That's just what Pere wants you to think. Once you see what the RNG gave him for a personality, you'll understand why. :D))

I will open this letter by letting you know that I am extremely upset by your removal from the position of the Minister of the Interior, as much as we disagree in matters of politics, I like to think we are rather similar on our views in economic principles. Regardless, it would feel wrong of me to step into your shoes in the Ministry without your leave, you have run it with incredible success for many years and I doubt that I could do better. Similarly, I will miss your voice in the cabinet, while we clash, as you always say, many voices are necessary to gather a full understanding of the people of Hispania. A cabinet of people who all believe the same is a great folly. I say this not as any means to sway you toward my idea, but as a true statement, and I hope you will view my idea on nothing but it's merits.

Now, you must agree that the rule of the mob is a dangerous thing. Ideas change quickly and often dangerously, they are whimsical, and often well meaning, which makes them all the more dangerous. The government should certainly follow the will of the people, but not too quickly lest the nation tear itself apart through rapid changes in belief. That of course is the reason behind the Cortz. However, as you say, and I must admit despite my general hesitation to expand the right to vote, the ability to be heard is important. Therefore, I once again put forth my Third House proposal, but different. Instead of only being filled with appointed individuals, most of the house will be elected. However, not only elected, but elected SOLELY by the so-called "lower class" we would, of course, require some measure of verification that they do indeed have vested interest in Hispania, but the vote could be expanded there. Additionally, the Crown would possess exactly half of the seats to distribute, but each individual must be appointed from the various regions of the empire, and cannot already be seated in the Assembly or the Cortz.

This would of course prevent any one house from blocking legislation, while giving all peoples and classes a voice. The Emperor would of course retain his current powers allowing for a good amount of balance. If you find this idea acceptable, I ask that you join me in negotiating more solid terms. I am sending a letter to the Emperor to ask him to meet to discuss the Third House Law regardless and I freely admit that your influence would certainly help pass any compromise I put forward. Please let me know if you wish to join me in any discussions. I look forward to your letter.

Altair Spoleto, Chamberlin of the Cortz, Count of Cremona, Imperial Party

I always thought that you were the only somewhat reasonable member of the Imperial faction. I will gladly help you in the transition. I believe that the key task for the minister of the Interior is now to closely monitor the ongoing industrialization progress. The only thing you should take care of is not to tell me anything I don't know - it could be treason. Which shows how ridiculous the Operational Security Act is, but I digress. They may be able to block unwanted voices in the Cabinet, but that will only cause more resistance in the Assembly.

Now to the core of your letter. You may see both the appointment and your Third House Act as solutions. They may be - but only under perfect conditions. And these will hardly exist. Let me elaborate:
The rule of the mob, I agree, is certainly not optimal. Which is why there are politicians elected to govern reasonably.
This third house, no matter how it is constituted, presents for me merely a danger. It can certainly help stop blockades - I wouldn't question that. But this is also the main problem! With this third house, one of the main houses can simply be circumvented. If all are appointed, there isn't even a question to be asked. If one half is appointed and the other one elected, all that is needed is one different vote among the elected and the choice is free for the appointed. With money, with Imperial favours. And as they are from the lower class, one of them might lack integrity and easily be bribed. This is the danger I see in that proposal - that one house is fully ignored. Lately we have been heard more in the Assembly. It would be the wrong sign to restart ignoring us.

The balance between the houses isn't entirely there. In both houses there are direct Crown representatives, once as a relic of power-hungry victors, once as natural consequence of the order in the nobility. But with this third house act, there is no need for any house as soon as Cortz and Assembly are not sharing one opinion. This third house will say exactly what the Crown wants to hear, thereby robbing the entire system of its function. Due to the appointment. The only way I can see without such blatant possible abuse to institute a third house is to have it consist half of elected representatives of the people and the other half of the members elected amongst the nobles. But then I don't believe it will serve much of a purpose. Seeking a compromise is a good way forward, but one should always keep in mind any possible abuse. And this third house wouldn't end well. If you wish to hear my opinion in some kind of discussion, then I will gladly give it. But I can already give you the result: As long as the appointment exists, it can be abused to get the wanted result.

I always thought that you were the only somewhat reasonable member of the Imperial faction. I will gladly help you in the transition. I believe that the key task for the minister of the Interior is now to closely monitor the ongoing industrialization progress. The only thing you should take care of is not to tell me anything I don't know - it could be treason. Which shows how ridiculous the Operational Security Act is, but I digress. They may be able to block unwanted voices in the Cabinet, but that will only cause more resistance in the Assembly.

Now to the core of your letter. You may see both the appointment and your Third House Act as solutions. They may be - but only under perfect conditions. And these will hardly exist. Let me elaborate:
The rule of the mob, I agree, is certainly not optimal. Which is why there are politicians elected to govern reasonably.
This third house, no matter how it is constituted, presents for me merely a danger. It can certainly help stop blockades - I wouldn't question that. But this is also the main problem! With this third house, one of the main houses can simply be circumvented. If all are appointed, there isn't even a question to be asked. If one half is appointed and the other one elected, all that is needed is one different vote among the elected and the choice is free for the appointed. With money, with Imperial favours. And as they are from the lower class, one of them might lack integrity and easily be bribed. This is the danger I see in that proposal - that one house is fully ignored. Lately we have been heard more in the Assembly. It would be the wrong sign to restart ignoring us.

The balance between the houses isn't entirely there. In both houses there are direct Crown representatives, once as a relic of power-hungry victors, once as natural consequence of the order in the nobility. But with this third house act, there is no need for any house as soon as Cortz and Assembly are not sharing one opinion. This third house will say exactly what the Crown wants to hear, thereby robbing the entire system of its function. Due to the appointment. The only way I can see without such blatant possible abuse to institute a third house is to have it consist half of elected representatives of the people and the other half of the members elected amongst the nobles. But then I don't believe it will serve much of a purpose. Seeking a compromise is a good way forward, but one should always keep in mind any possible abuse. And this third house wouldn't end well. If you wish to hear my opinion in some kind of discussion, then I will gladly give it. But I can already give you the result: As long as the appointment exists, it can be abused to get the wanted result.

Thank you for your quick response, I will proceed then to accept the appointment. Please do expect my letter from time to time, while I am schooled in finance and industry, it has been a long time since I needed to apply the knowledge. I will put a great deal of trust in the people you have worked with in the ministry. For your sake, as you are much more likely to be accused of any such false claims than I, I will come in person or send personal courier, with your permission.

Once again, I am gladdened we are able to speak. These are issues I easily would have missed trapped in the halls of Imperialism as I am, and while I am certainly willing to address them I am not yet convinced to throw away the idea of appointed members. In my eyes they serve as a necessary balance of the crown. The crown has the ability to step in where needed to sway the vote toward one side or the other, both to preserve balance, and protect imperial interests.

Admittedly upon further consideration it would be both unfair and unwise to only fill the Third House with appointed members. I similarly understand your fear of abuse of the appointed members, but as of yet I cannot remember, in my admittedly failing memory, a time in which all of the appointed members voted alike! Can you not envision any circumstance in which the appointed members are permitted to remain in any capacity?

((Sends a letter to Joan accepting the appointment to minister of the interior))

Ministry plans:
Navy: I feel that our navy is in a good condition as it is and shouldn't be expanded for now. Previous plans, if not finished, should be continued to be carried out.

Trade: Our trade network looks good as it is, and while I know it can be improved I haven't thought of anything yet. That's why everything should stay as it is for the time being.

"While I approve of granting more people the right to vote, I think that Monsieur Faixòn has a wrong take on the whole ordeal. I'd like to present my alternative solution to the problem which has been raised time and time again:"

Free Weighted Vote Act of 1816
I. Every adult male, who is a subject of the Crown of Hispania shall be granted the right to cast a vote during election for the Assembly.

II. The votes shall be weighted according to the subject's social class
A. The members of the upper class will hold the most influence over the elections
B. The members of the middle class will fall in second.
C. The votes of the serfs and lower class members will hold the least power.​

"I hope that this solution will satisfy those who so far opposed the issuing of such an act, as well as those who wish to see all Hispanias being able to vote.

However there is one more matter I wish to address, matter of trade. The second proposing of the free trade act by someone who clearly has no knowledge of trade has worried me greatly. That is why I present to you the:"

Trade Protection Bill
I. No act altering the trade policy of the Empire of Hispania can be proposed without the approval of the minister of trade.

II. In case the minister of trade will be indisposed, found mentally unstable or found guilty of treason it will be up to the Crown to decide if the act should be allowed to be voted on.

III. The Crown can, at any time, overrule the minister's decision.​

Ministry plans:
Navy: I feel that our navy is in a good condition as it is and shouldn't be expanded for now. Previous plans, if not finished, should be continued to be carried out.

Trade: Our trade network looks good as it is, and while I know it can be improved I haven't thought of anything yet. That's why everything should stay as it is for the time being.

"While I approve of granting more people the right to vote, I think that Monsieur Faixòn has a wrong take on the whole ordeal. I'd like to present my alternative solution to the problem which has been raised time and time again:"

"I hope that this solution will satisfy those who so far opposed the issuing of such an act, as well as those who wish to see all Hispanias being able to vote.

However there is one more matter I wish to address, matter of trade. The second proposing of the free trade act by someone who clearly has no knowledge of trade has worried me greatly. That is why I present to you the:"

"I wholeheartedly oppose the institution of a weighted voting system, particularly as it perverts the God-given value of a human life. Furthermore, this legislation, through its usage of the now-antiquated term 'serf' does little more than call us back towards a system of oppression, which we fought to end throughout the Empire, and which should not be brought up in such a context that those individuals will once again be made lesser than the others.

"In order to protect the virtues of liberty, as well as to guarantee that we will not make unnecessary divisions within the Empire, I propose the following bill for the consideration of this Chamber, in addition to a separate, significantly more moderate Assembly proposal than many which have passed before us."

CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1816
I. Henceforth, all native-born subjects of the Hispanian Empire who, themselves, belong to a one-half parentage born of Italy, Iberia, Lusitania, Provence, Sardinia, Corsica, or the Colonies shall be known as Hispanian Citizens, and shall be granted all the rights, duties, and powers upon therein.

II. All Hispanian Citizens will be entitled to a certain set of rights, which shall not be infringed, and instead shall be upheld above all local decisions of the Empire-proper which are to the contrary. Such rights shall include, but shall never be limited to:
a. Right of Non-Violent Assembly
b. Right of Political Discourse
c. Right of a Fair Trial
d. Right to Operate a Press
e. Right of Free Travel
f. Right of Free Personhood
III. All Hispanian Citizens will be granted the authority to vote in elections for the retention of those judges and justices who hold a jurisdiction to which those Citizens are privy, regardless of their capacity to vote in elections to determine the membership of the Assembly.

IV. Only Hispanian Citizens will be given the right to sit in either the Assembly or the Cortz.

V. Subject to His Majesty's decision, any individual who is resident within the Empire may be granted full Citizenship.

VI. Subject to the decision of His Majesty and Parliament, any Citizen may have their specific rights suspended due to treasonous activity, and may also be stripped of their Citizenship. Such punishments, however, will not come upon their blood.

VII. All Hispanian Citizens shall have the right to vote on local elections, however, voting for members of the Assembly shall be restricted to those Citizens who can provide evidence that they hold in their own name a value equal to or greater than 12 Escudos.

PARLIAMENT ACT, 1816

a. Fifty seats shall be granted to those individuals appointed by the Crown to aid in the making of specialized decisions, and who shall be drawn from backgrounds of jurisprudence, history, foreign policy, the military, and all others deemed to be of value. These seats will be appointed at the discretion of the Emperor, and shall hold office until they are dismissed in the same means as their appointment.
b. Ninety-two seats shall be apportioned equally between all provinces of the Empire, and shall be filled by those individuals elected to hold such offices.
c. Eight seats shall be apportioned to the eight most populous cities within the Empire, and shall be filled by those individuals elected to hold such offices.
d. Three-hundred and fifty seats will be apportioned by population between all provinces within the Empire, and shall be filled by those individuals elected to hold such offices.
II. Funds shall be allocated for the purposes of constructing a new Parliamentary Building in Valencia, which will be designed and built so that it will have the capacity to house all functions of Parliament, including not only both the Cortz and Assembly Chambers, but also offices for the members of both Chambers.

III. Parliamentary boundaries and allocations shall be reassessed every ten years, at which time a Census will be taken throughout the Hispanian Provinces. In the absence of firm precedence for such a count, the first such Census shall be conducted in 1820, under the supervision of joint committee of the Cortz and Assembly comprised of five individuals from each Chamber. Until that time, allocations will continue to be made based upon local records.

"I wholeheartedly oppose the institution of a weighted voting system, particularly as it perverts the God-given value of a human life. Furthermore, this legislation, through its usage of the now-antiquated term 'serf' does little more than call us back towards a system of oppression, which we fought to end throughout the Empire, and which should not be brought up in such a context that those individuals will once again be made lesser than the others.

"In order to protect the virtues of liberty, as well as to guarantee that we will not make unnecessary divisions within the Empire, I propose the following bill for the consideration of this Chamber, in addition to a separate, significantly more moderate Assembly proposal than many which have passed before us."

CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1816
I. Henceforth, all native-born subjects of the Hispanian Empire who, themselves, belong to a one-half parentage born of Italy, Iberia, Lusitania, Provence, Sardinia, Corsica, or the Colonies shall be known as Hispanian Citizens, and shall be granted all the rights, duties, and powers upon therein.

II. All Hispanian Citizens will be entitled to a certain set of rights, which shall not be infringed, and instead shall be upheld above all local decisions of the Empire-proper which are to the contrary. Such rights shall include, but shall never be limited to:
c. Right of a Fair Trial
e. Right of Free Travel
III. All Hispanian Citizens will be granted the authority to vote in elections for the retention of those judges and justices who hold a jurisdiction to which those Citizens are privy, regardless of their capacity to vote in elections to determine the membership of the Assembly.

IV. Only Hispanian Citizens will be given the right to sit in either the Assembly or the Cortz.

V. Subject to His Majesty's decision, any individual who is resident within the Empire may be granted full Citizenship.

VI. Subject to the decision of His Majesty and Parliament, any Citizen may have their specific rights suspended due to treasonous activity, and may also be stripped of their Citizenship. Such punishments, however, will not come upon their blood.

VII. All Hispanian Citizens shall have the right to vote on local elections, however, voting for members of the Assembly shall be restricted to those Citizens who can provide evidence that they hold in their own name a value equal to or greater than 12 Escudos.

PARLIAMENT ACT, 1816

a. Fifty seats shall be granted to those individuals appointed by the Crown to aid in the making of specialized decisions, and who shall be drawn from backgrounds of jurisprudence, history, foreign policy, the military, and all others deemed to be of value. These seats will be appointed at the discretion of the Emperor, and shall hold office until they are dismissed in the same means as their appointment.
b. Ninety-two seats shall be apportioned equally between all provinces of the Empire, and shall be filled by those individuals elected to hold such offices.
c. Eight seats shall be apportioned to the eight most populous cities within the Empire, and shall be filled by those individuals elected to hold such offices.
d. Three-hundred and fifty seats will be apportioned by population between all provinces within the Empire, and shall be filled by those individuals elected to hold such offices.
II. Funds shall be allocated for the purposes of constructing a new Parliamentary Building in Valencia, which will be designed and built so that it will have the capacity to house all functions of Parliament, including not only both the Cortz and Assembly Chambers, but also offices for the members of both Chambers.

III. Parliamentary boundaries and allocations shall be reassessed every ten years, at which time a Census will be taken throughout the Hispanian Provinces. In the absence of firm precedence for such a count, the first such Census shall be conducted in 1820, under the supervision of joint committee of the Cortz and Assembly comprised of five individuals from each Chamber. Until that time, allocations will continue to be made based upon local records.
"What makes your citizenship act different from my own acts, which propose basically the same thing?"

"What makes your citizenship act different from my own acts, which propose basically the same thing?"

"Your acts are different in two ways which make them, from my perspective, inferior. That is, that they neither confirm the equal and fair citizenship of Imperial subjects, nor grant equal voting rights to all eligible individuals. These 'weighted' voting systems are aberrations of dark degrees, and are the worst possible system by which we might ensure the votes of our people are given fairly. Furthermore, the Citizenship Act provides a framework upon which we can build off of, while covering a much more diverse set of topics with a far greater depth."

CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1816

c. Right of a Fair Trial
e. Right of Free Travel

III.
All Hispanian Citizens will be granted the authority to vote in elections for the retention of those judges and justices who hold a jurisdiction to which those Citizens are privy, regardless of their capacity to vote in elections to determine the membership of the Assembly.

((May as well have a few things cleared up for me so I know what changes will need to be implemented if it passes. First, where is Lusitania? You keep mentioning it in laws, but the best I can find about it is somewhere near Portugal, which doesn't seem right if Iberia is its own category. My only other guesses are the Austrian territories just outside Italy or perhaps our Greek lands, since they don't fall into the other categories. As for Colonies, are we just considering the ones directly controlled by Hispania or the colonial nations as well? This might prove relevant since it seems the richer colonial subjects will be voting under this law, as well as the fact that some colonial subjects still follow faiths considered illegal, creating an interesting paradox where they're technically criminals but could still vote as Hispanian citizens. Although to be honest, I'm not sure how colonial subjects would vote. All representatives are for Europe, so I have no idea who'd they be voting for. I guess they'd have to move to Europe for that, but at least they could once they got there.

This is probably a good time to mention to everyone that all laws affecting the franchise are considered as only impacting the European provinces unless explicitly stated otherwise. You should still make sure to mention age, gender, and religion where relevant. I'll mostly assume that only adult males are being considered, while opening the vote to non-Christians wouldn't matter since other faiths are still outlawed anyway.))

((May as well have a few things cleared up for me so I know what changes will need to be implemented if it passes. First, where is Lusitania? You keep mentioning it in laws, but the best I can find about it is somewhere near Portugal, which doesn't seem right if Iberia is its own category. My only other guesses are the Austrian territories just outside Italy or perhaps our Greek lands, since they don't fall into the other categories. As for Colonies, are we just considering the ones directly controlled by Hispania or the colonial nations as well? This might prove relevant since it seems the richer colonial subjects will be voting under this law, as well as the fact that some colonial subjects still follow faiths considered illegal, creating an interesting paradox where they're technically criminals but could still vote as Hispanian citizens. Although to be honest, I'm not sure how colonial subjects would vote. All representatives are for Europe, so I have no idea who'd they be voting for. I guess they'd have to move to Europe for that, but at least they could once they got there.

This is probably a good time to mention to everyone that all laws affecting the franchise are considered as only impacting the European provinces unless explicitly stated otherwise. You should still make sure to mention age, gender, and religion where relevant. I'll mostly assume that only adult males are being considered, while opening the vote to non-Christians wouldn't matter since other faiths are still outlawed anyway.))

((Lusitania refers to to Western Iberia, including Galicia and Portugal. I figure that it is culturally distinct from the rest of Iberia, so a distinction ought to be made.))

Reactions:

CITIZENSHIP ACT, 1816

c. Right of a Fair Trial
e. Right of Free Travel

Amendment to the Citizenship Act, 1816

I. Henceforth, all native-born taxpaying subjects over the age of 15 of the Hispanian Empire who, themselves, belong to a one-half parentage born of Italy, Iberia, Lusitania, Provence, Sardinia, Corsica, or the Colonies shall be known as Hispanian Citizens, and shall be granted all the rights, duties, and powers upon therein.

"As for Clause III, Minister, if every subject will be able to vote for judges and justice of their jurisdiction, would that not lead to candidates who shamelessly pander to the majority, along with morality, justice, and the law being cast aside for their choosing, replaced instead with charm, and in some cases, radical extremism, deceit, and brute force? Already we can see this in other vote-dependent office-holders..."

"As for Clause III, Minister, if every subject will be able to vote for judges and justice of their jurisdiction, would that not lead to candidates who shamelessly pander to the majority, along with morality, justice, and the law being cast aside for their choosing, replaced instead with charm, and in some cases, radical extremism, deceit, and brute force? Already we can see this in other vote-dependent office-holders..."

"While I also share a similar concern, I ultimately believe that this mechanism will help to protect against the possibility of potentially corrupt and ill-suited individuals holding such offices. It is my hope that by maintaining the prior appointment mechanism, we will be able to maintain a degree of quality, while these new retention elections will help to maintain the honesty of the judiciary.

"I believe we should have relatively few fears due to the nature of this body. If there ever reaches such a point that this effort proves to be more detrimental than it appears at this time, I do not doubt that we will be quick to make a nonpartisan effort to correct whatever errors might lay within."

I see one adjustment needed to the Parliament Act to make it more acceptable

Amendment to the Parliament Act of 1816

Change I.a. to read One Hundred and Twenty-Five Appointed Members.

Change I. d. to read Two Hundred Seventy-Five

This will ensure that the act will preserve the current composition of appointed and elected Assemblymen while still achieving its intended purpose, assuming of course that the Minister of Justice wanted to do so in the first place and not attempt to reopen an issue that has been repeatedly struck down.

((As Minister of Colonial Affairs, what exactly do I need to include in my minister plan?))

((As Minister of Colonial Affairs, what exactly do I need to include in my minister plan?))

((Mostly it's just designating where we should colonize and making use of the subject interactions when appropriate. If I'm not instructed on the former, I'll just colonize wherever seems best.))

I see one adjustment needed to the Parliament Act to make it more acceptable

This will ensure that the act will preserve the current composition of appointed and elected Assemblymen while still achieving its intended purpose, assuming of course that the Minister of Justice wanted to do so in the first place and not attempt to reopen an issue that has been repeatedly struck down.

"I have no intention of reopening the issue which has previously been raised on numerous occasions, noting that those proposals had overwhelmingly favored entirely abolishing the institution of appointed Assemblymen. Instead, I believe that we ought to chart a middle ground by accepting the institution, albeit in a slightly reduced form. I fail to see how this would upset any member of the pro-appointee faction, as it would effectively legitimize the institution in the eyes of many of those individuals who support the more liberal parties of this chamber.

"Ultimately, the choice is clear: a compromise is struck and appointees will remain, or no compromise is made, and the institution is eventually destroyed. I know which one I would choose."