• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Juan write a letter to Lagos. Write that I want to meet him here in Sevilla."

Dear Justinian Lagos,
me, Lluis Kardinal Martinez Siechta, Archbishop of Sevilla, would like to meet you at my palace in Sevilla. I hope you'll find the time to come.
Sincerly
Lluis Kardinal Martinez Siechta

(( @Michaelangelo , for the new state, I suggest the head of state be entitled "-of the Greeks", rather than "-of Greece/Byzantium." This is popular monarchy nomenclature, currently in use in Belgium, and also used by Louis XVI during the short-lived constitutional Kingdom of France. It seems fitting. ;) ))

((@Michaelangelo, How about "Emperor of the Romans"? That was the official title of the Byzantine rulers in real life, I think.))

((I may use the first one, but I suspect it may cause problems to be revealed in the future. As for the second, that one seems like it might conflict with our titles.))

((This is all assuming the Basileus will even accept the terms...))

((Then again, is the Basileus in any condition not to accept? We'll find out when he gets out of that mystery dungeon. :D))

((May as well end that vote now.

The Assurance of Appointment Act:
Assembly: 128 Yes/155 No/17 Abstain
Cortz: 50 Yes/41 No/1 Abstain​
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act:
Assembly: 100 Yes/136 No/64 Abstain
Cortz: 31 Yes/45 No/16 Abstain​
Speaker of the House Act:
Assembly: 101 Yes/190 No/9 Abstain
Cortz: 38 Yes/53 No/1 Abstain​
Cortz Election Act:
Assembly: 45 Yes/183 No/72 Abstain
Cortz: 1 Yes/80 No/11 Abstain​
House Composition Act:
Assembly: 112 Yes/171 No/17 Abstain
Cortz: 32 Yes/46 No/14 Abstain​
The Reformation of Administration Act:
Assembly: 166 Yes/92 No/42 Abstain
Cortz: 72 Yes/14 No/6 Abstain​
Regional Governance Act:
Assembly: 87 Yes/204 No/9 Abstain
Cortz: 35 Yes/56 No/1 Abstain​
The Ministry of Espionage Act:
Assembly: 13 Yes/181 No/106 Abstain
Cortz: 16 Yes/58 No/18 Abstain​
The Protection of Hispania Act:
Assembly: 149 Yes/78 No/73 Abstain
Cortz: 68 Yes/1 No/23 Abstain​
Military Support Act:
Assembly: 136 Yes/100 No/64 Abstain
Cortz: 63 Yes/18 No/11 Abstain​
Amendment to Naval Reform of 1793:
Assembly: 291 Yes/0 No/9 Abstain
Cortz: 91 Yes/0 No/1 Abstain​
The Free Trade Act:
Assembly: 95 Yes/109 No/96 Abstain
Cortz: 17 Yes/61 No/14 Abstain​
Protection of the Ruthenian People Act:
Assembly: 183 Yes/55 No/62 Abstain
Cortz: 60 Yes/30 No/2 Abstain​
Referendum for Hispanian Greeks:
Assembly: 249 Yes/0 No/51 Abstain
Cortz: 91 Yes/0 No/1 Abstain​

Vote for one or neither:
Federalization of Italy Act:
Assembly: 43 Yes/236 No/21 Abstain
Cortz: 12 Yes/58 No/22 Abstain​
Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces:
Assembly: 55 Yes/223 No/22 Abstain
Cortz: 17 Yes/53 No/22 Abstain​

Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces:
Assembly: 55 Yes/156 No/89 Abstain
Cortz: 17 Yes/53 No/22 Abstain​

Speaker (Assembly Only):
Assembly: 0 Adalberto Giordano/222 Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre/78 Abstain​

Greek Revolution: Intervene

Mission: Buhera

It should be noted that with the passing of the Military Support Act, we are obligated to intervene in Byzantium if negotiations fail. Speaking of that....))

After taking the proposed suggestions into consideration, I present the following conditions for your approval:
  1. An official declaration by His Imperial Highness and the Hispanian Parliament not to intervene in Greek affairs without express permission by the Revolutionary Assembly or any government formed to take its place. A joint Hispanian-Greek committee shall be created to determine particular circumstances where Hispania may be permitted to intervene without permission of the Revolutionary Assembly.
  2. Official recognition by His Imperial Highness and the Hispanian Parliament that all Greek people within Byzantium are rightful citizens of Byzantium and so is the land they possess.
  3. Official recognition by His Imperial Highness and the Hispanian Parliament of Byzantium as a fully independent nation, granted full domestic autonomy and the ability to manage its own foreign affairs.
  4. An official declaration by His Imperial Highness and the Hispanian Parliament to recognize the government formed by the Revolutionary Assembly.
In return, we offering the following conditions:
  1. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place officially recognizes the sovereignty of Hispania and her subjects over their own territory and shall refrain from infringing on that right without express permission.
  2. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place commits to allowing advisors chosen by His Imperial Highness and the Hispanian Parliament to assist in the creation of a Hispanian-model Parliament within Byzantium.
  3. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place commits to continuing any agreements created by the old regime between our two nations that does not conflict with the ideals of the Revolution. This includes any existing military access and trade agreements.
  4. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place commits to ensuring positive relations between our two relations and establishing an official military alliance.
  5. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place officially declares that all Hispanians currently within Byzantium shall be granted protection by the current revolutionary government and be allowed free passage out of the country without hindrance. Any prisoners of war captured during the ongoing conflict who are revealed to be Hispanian shall be transferred over to Hispanian care.
  6. The monarchy shall be restored with the Basileus at its head, but shall be subject to the full authority of the future parliament. The Basileus shall consent to the signing of a constitution drafted by the Revolutionary Assembly. If he disagrees to this request, he must abdicate. The royal family shall be forgiven all crimes upon the meeting of this condition.
  7. Until such a time as an official government has been established constituting the new parliament, Hispania shall retain control of Byzantium's foreign affairs. Once the government is officially established, Hispania shall relinquish this privilege.
  8. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place agrees to recognize and submit to the will of the referendum to be held in the Greek lands of Hispania in regards to the fate of the people living there.
  9. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place agrees to grant amnesty to all soldiers currently raising arms against the revolutionaries who agree to put down their arms, excluding cases of extreme violence that will be tried before a Greek judge.
  10. The Revolutionary Assembly and any government formed to take its place agrees to allow Hispania to advise Byzantium on any diplomatic agreements with third parties and suggest revision. ((Can change their rivals and allies if they conflict with ours.))
Now that these have been approved, I hope for a final agreement to be reached. The longer we tarry, the more people die back home. If the Revolution can succeed with Hispanian backing, we would appreciate that it be achieved sooner rather than later.

- Alexandros Kapodistrias, Member of the Revolutionary Assembly

((May as well hold a vote on this just to make sure. You can still suggest minor revisions if you truly want to. This vote is more tentative than binding since the Emperor will be making the final call. Likely he will go with whatever the majority decides, but may do otherwise if serious concerns are raised for either side.

Revolutionary Assembly's Proposal: Yes/No/Abstain

I'll let this vote go until Wednesday at 12PM PST. This should give me an opportunity to get my iAAR update schedule back in place now that exams are done. Please bold your votes and include your character's name, class, house, and party.))

Revolutionary Assembly's Proposal: No

I would also like to register an complaint concerning the nature of these negotiations. The appropriate people were aware that I would not be able to attend due to having obligations to ensure the Symbasileus and his sister received the appropriate accommodations. Despite this, an entire negotiation with the Greeks, something that is handled by the Ministry of Colonial Affairs, who desire to be an ally of Hispania, which is dealt with by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, occurred without the advice of the Minister or either department.

As such, this "agreement" should not be considered legitimate by those who respect the Emperor and his Cabinet. And any of those who do accept it are clearly showing their desire to see the Parliament above both.

I would also like to register an complaint concerning the nature of these negotiations. The appropriate people were aware that I would not be able to attend due to having obligations to ensure the Symbasileus and his sister received the appropriate accommodations. Despite this, an entire negotiation with the Greeks, something that is handled by the Ministry of Colonial Affairs, who desire to be an ally of Hispania, which is dealt with by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, occurred without the advice of the Minister or either department.

As such, this "agreement" should not be considered legitimate by those who respect the Emperor and his Cabinet. And any of those who do accept it are clearly showing their desire to see the Parliament above both.

JpsioAG.png

I must apologize then for going over your head in this matter, but I felt that it must be dealt with using all available resources. As far as I was aware, any negotiations by the Ministries of Foreign or Colonial Affairs had failed to produce results. I granted permission to individual actors to attempt to open lines of communication and encourage these revolutionaries to negotiate with us, which seems to have succeeded. It does not matter who took charge of the negotiations, just that the fact they were conducted at all and managed to produce a workable agreement. You are free to propose revisions and suggestions just like any member of Parliament. I feel that this situation requires discussion and consent from all here, for it will have ramifications that will affect all of Hispania and Byzantium for years to come.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, King of Transdacia, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

"Perhaps if one was more focused on trying to produce peace than finding out new targets for your warmongering, then you could be able to understand that this is the best route of peace between our Empires. From my knowledge, you have not attempted any negotiations. Instead of wallowing in your anger, recognize that we have not wasted the lives of our people."

Revolutionary Assembly's Proposal: Abstain

Revolutionary Assembly's Proposal: Yes

Someone who wants a full strength military intervention is certainly not suited to negotiate a far less bloody way. Luckily for all those who would fall in this conflict, we had capable diplomats with the desire for a diplomatic solution involved instead.

Someone who wants a full strength military intervention is certainly not suited to negotiate a far less bloody way. Luckily for all those who would fall in this conflict, we had capable diplomats with the desire for a diplomatic solution involved instead.

"I am afraid that there were no diplomats involved, sir. But rather a Countess willing to talk and compromise with these revolutionaries like myself, or only myself."

"Juan write a letter to Lagos. Write that I want to meet him here in Sevilla."

Dear Justinian Lagos,
me, Lluis Kardinal Martinez Siechta, Archbishop of Sevilla, would like to meet you at my palace in Sevilla. I hope you'll find the time to come.
Sincerly
Lluis Kardinal Martinez Siechta
((private))
A palace? Interesting, thought Justinian. What type of Archbishop had a palace? Interesting indeed....
Dear Archbishop of Sevilla, Siechta,

I will surely meet you at your palace.

Sincerely,
Archbishop of Grenada Lagos
((public))

((Private-Altair))
"The Illuminati has been in existence from the end of the Phoenix War. Many parties of the Parliament owe their loyalty to us, whether they know it or not, and we seek to spread our already immense influence, an influence that cannot be destroyed by the Phoenix. We coordinate our actions to protect His Majesty from Phoenix threats best we can, and quite simply, we ask you to join. But only join if you are truly loyal to Hispania. Only join if you can forever resist the Phoenix. Only join if you are truly enlightened.

"I am afraid that there were no diplomats involved, sir. But rather a Countess willing to talk and compromise with these revolutionaries like myself, or only myself."

Faixòn sighed. "Luckily there are no women in the Assembly, for the few in the Parliament claim to be responsible for everything. Where does that urge to claim the laurels come from? Countess, there were certainly also other factors involved in the compromise, not just one person."

In reaction to the results of the vote, he later prepared the speeches for his election campaign. Continuing to show uncomfortable truths to the people should be the way forward, and of course a declaration of support for the Greek Revolution.
People of Hispania, you are better off than the Greeks - something that can, no, that will change soon. The Revolution is upon Byzantium, and it is the natural consequence of the continuous mistreatment of the Greek people. A people that shall be free from enslavement in all but name, be granted liberties like us Hispanians. But also more, as the people fights to truly enforce their will. Not just a slight participation in the government, but the main force of the new Byzantium. While the Greeks had to learn from Hispania during all these years, now it the time may have come when it is the other way around. But we do not need to resort to bloodshed.
The deep flaws in Hispania's current system show themselves in the fully contradictory statements made in its Parliament, in which there is a shift of power between theoretically equal houses. The Assembly needs to be controlled! One quarter of its members aren't elected! While the Cortz gets the favourable treatment of consisting solely of one count per county. Able to block each try to remove this flaw, even willing to permanently block it, while nobody is willing to subject that house with a similar measure. Why not? Because it is wrong! As wrong as it is to keep this leash on the Assembly! Your Assembly, rendered unable to represent your will as you deserve it!
Another contradiction: The rejection of my House Composition Act. The houses don't need to respect each other's characters. Why do we have two houses then? Why laws forbidding to meddle into affairs of the other house? This is asking for open conflict! You can easily transfer that on your everyday life to understand this problem. Let's assume we have a merchant and a priest. They respect their differences - what if they wouldn't? The merchant would stand in the church during mass, loudly praise his wares and try to sell them, as this is a place with a lot of potential customers on one spot. Of course you can all imagine that it works the other way around too. How can there be any consensus? Open hostilities only prevent any of the reforms of the last decades to be of any use.
And this is exactly what some people want! Those holding the reins of power! Since the begin of Parliament! For whom the entire system is a thorn that can't be removed, but whose pain can safely be ignored! Do you want that? People who centralize the power even more into their hands instead of respecting the regional differences? People who willingly paralyze your voice at the throne? Whose only difference to the Byzantine lords is that they wear a parliamentary mask, preparing the ground for abuses and oppression? Who are merely smarter than the Greeks in the form of their acts?
We have to end this! Give the Assembly its rightful place, have a functioning Parliament! Respect the people's will! Which is what the Facció del Fénix will never stop fighting for!

((Time to end that vote, although the results are pretty obvious.

Revolutionary Assembly's Proposal:
Assembly: 244 Yes/0 No/56 Abstain
Cortz: 73 Yes/18 No/1 Abstain​

The update shouldn't take very long this time, since there shouldn't be much happening other than at the start or end.))

((Private Letter to Empress Dowager Sophia Mandrimenos))

Dona Mandromenos, I formally request to become the nation's ambassador to the Eastern Roman Empire. It is my belief that I may be able to aid within the relations between the two Empires, our own and the Greek's. Hope you will consider my offer

The Countess of Florence

((Private Letter to Empress Dowager Sophia Mandrimenos))

Dona Mandromenos, I formally request to become the nation's ambassador to the Eastern Roman Empire. It is my belief that I may be able to aid within the relations between the two Empires, our own and the Greek's. Hope you will consider my offer

The Countess of Florence

The Empress reviewed the letter before her and almost laughed. She hadn't been properly referred to as Mandromenos in sixty three years, not since her marriage to Ferran.

The thought of her departed Husband made her upset, and she retreated into her study to cope with her refound sorrow. An aide, however found the letter and answered on her behalf.

You are aware that the position of ambassador is a position that would require full time residence in Byzantium, correct? It is impossible for you to be both there as ambassador and here as a member of the Cortz. I am afraid that because of that, we cannot consider your offer when other less attached candidates are still to be considered. But should these candidates not meet expectations, we may make an exception.