• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear people of Najd,
We are happy to hear reports of your willigness to trade with us, and this is why we come to you with a special offer.
We are sure that the Persians and Yemeni are less than happy with the current situation, as well as your recent expeansion. That is why we wish to sell you surplus Hispanian weapons and equipment at lowered cost in order to prepare your thriving nation for the potential agression. While we would wish to offer you more, however as a trading company there are limists to what we can do.
However we urge you to seek help from Hispania. We are certain that both nations could benefit from an alliance. The final decision however is up to you.
Respectfully,
The council of the Trans Atlantic Trading Company.

We thank you for the reduced pricing for Hispanian weaponry. We value the trade Hispania provides us with and the edge it may give us against our more hostile neighbours. For now, we do not see the need for further diplomatic ties and do not intend to pursue such a venture. While we shall continue to trade freely with your nation, anything more than that will likely only serve to antagonize our neighbours.

((Sorry I responded so late. I must have missed this in my reply spams, but I recalled something about Najd just now and went back to find it.))

((Private - Cabinet))

Indeed, that is the question. Is this rebellion deserving of acknowledgement and respect that we extend to the other nations, even if they are not guaranteed the same assurances as the Basileus's Byzantium as we have no treaty or other form of agreement as we do with him? Or are they like an tantruming toddler and thus deserving of the treatment of one?

If we wish to treat them as we would any other nation, we simply cannot ignore this breach of our borders. Even though Byzantium is allowed to have men pass freely, the Steward of Athens has the documents going back decades to show that Army officers have the decency to submit notification to him and his predecessors to inform him of when armed Byzantine soldiers would cross that border to go to and from Morea. There is also the fact that if this rebellion is to be legitimated, it doesn't get the privileges of Byzantium, including the right to open borders. Also, note that this rebellion is claiming that they consider Athens their territory. While a referendum may change its status, it is Hispanian territory at the moment. Calling another sovereign nation's territory theirs is a very aggressive action. I have seen declarations of war less direct. If we are to treat this rebellion seriously, we must treat all their actions seriously as well. "Oh", you might be saying. "Didn't they want to meet to speak terms with us? It was in one of your letters after all..." Their comments must be taken in context of the suggestion in my previous letter. Fortunately I have a copy of it here. As you can see, I have already done what many of you suggest, an mediated negotiation between the Basileus and the Rebellion, at a nearby defensible location on Hispanian soil no less. How was my suggestion received by them? Well you can read quite clearly that they rejected it in favor of their show trial. How would that make a sovereign nation appear in the eyes of others when they reject such a suggestion? Simple, it makes them appear to WANT war instead of a peaceful resolution. This rebellion is not ending by any other means. To those who claim that we should not participate in this war, however, I have one message.

We already are. We have been ever since the Basileus and his family stepped in the shadow of Athens. But remember, it was not the Basileus and his family that sent armed men into one of our cities. It is not the Basileus and his family that violated any treaty or sovereignty with Hispania. And it was not the Basileus that sent what can be taken as a declaration of war to us and then refused a mediated settlement to end the conflict before it progresses further.

Of course, we can always take the second option, treating this rebellion as a petulant child. Most of these revolters are farmers and planting season is in a few more months. Byzantium may have had food shortages in the past, but I would expect for the harvest of 1798 to be particularly grim if things keep going the way they are. If you were to see a child carrying around an knife, what would you do?

((Lays out my second letter, which is now common knowledge to the Cabinet.))

((Private - Cabinet))

JpsioAG.png

I share some of the same concerns as the Empress Dowager. I fear that these rebels may be more intent on revenge than reform. I believe it should be our first priority to ensure that Byzantium reforms to a state that better represents its people, while keeping some semblance of the old government. If we press enough for negotiations, we may be able to use our influence to force reform and bring an end to this conflict. Perhaps we could assist in the establishment of a parliament similar to ours to start.

This is a difficult decision to make. We must consider that to allow this rebellion to continue is to legitimize the idea that people may reform or overthrow their government through violent means. This is not something I support. That is the sort of logic used by men like Montségur who feel like when things don't go their way, they must resort to violence to achieve their ends. It is thanks to men like that that we experienced a civil war decades ago. Yet look at us now. We continue to work our way forward, seeking the best path for our nation without murdering each other to achieve it. We are here now not because of men like Montségur, because of men like me, like all of you, like all the members of Parliament who work from within the system presented to them to create change. I would like to believe that there is always a way to make your nation a better place without rising up against your own government. To accept any less is not something I am willing to do.

With that in mind, I believe that we must make all efforts to bring an end to this conflict diplomatically. I do not know what has happened to the Basileus, nor what remains of his government. When I assumed the mantle of Protector of the Greeks, along with all of Hispania, we accepted a responsibility. We cannot stand by and do nothing. I believe due to the circumstances, we may be forced to negotiate on behalf of the Basileus and accept the consequences later. We have the might and influence to enforce such a settlement for the good of the Greek people, and the Basileus will have to accept what we can arrange when he returns. Perhaps we are overreaching by interfering in Byzantium, even though the rulers of Byzantium have pledged loyalty to my forefathers for generations. I just cannot in good conscience stand back and see a violent uprising overwhelm our close neighbour.

If negotiations fails and these rebels topple the current regime in Byzantium, I'm afraid that action must be taken. As I have said, I cannot accept the violent overthrow of a government, even in the pursuit of legitimate reforms. If we offer a chance to give these rebels the change they seek and still they denounce us, it should be clear to all that they crave more than just reform. A government controlled by power-hungry farmers is not a stable one, nor one that can be trusted. If these rebels prove that they are unwilling to accept the very reforms we are willing to assist them in achieving, I believe we shall have no choice but to intervene militarily. If we must, we shall send in our armies and ensure order and stability. I'd rather we solve this diplomatically, but I will not spurn the use of the army if it ensures more innocent people do not die and Byzantium becomes a nation that truly represents its people.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, King of Transdacia, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

JpsioAG.png

It seems then that I must explain the purposes of the various clauses, seeing as I was the one to write them. While Section V does state that the Speaker or Chamberlain selects what impacts solely their house, Section IV still decides based on that decision who will vote on the law. Seeing as the proposed law would remove appointed positions, changing the membership of the Assembly, it thus requires the approval of both houses. Perhaps I placed them in the wrong order then, but that there is their purpose. Section V exists solely to clarify who decides what law only impacts a single house, but does not decide whether that law is then voted on by either one or both houses.

The difference between situations here is minute. The law regarding the Cortz was blocked because it was proposed by a member of the Assembly. If a member of the Cortz had proposed, then it would have to be considered. It would then face the same voting process as the laws regarding the Assembly's appointed position.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons IX de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, King of Transdacia, Duke of Bavaria, & Protector of the Greeks

((Probably a good time to mention that we can't build anymore manufactories in Europe without raising development. We can build some elsewhere though. I believe part of North Africa is in range of the capital to make building them there worth it.

Only the Minister of Religious Affairs may change our church aspects. Usually we voted on them in the past, but that was because the Minister was always an NPC.))

((Private - Cabinet))
JpsioAG.png

Perhaps the details were not made clear enough then. The Basileus and his wife were attacked in the streets of Athens. This is no drunken brawl. Admittedly, our relations with Byzantium has allowed free travel to occur between our two empires. Regardless, I do not take the attack on my cousin and another sovereign on our soil lightly.

There is also the matter of whether the Basileus should even be permitted to be placed on trial, or if this rebellion should be given any legitimacy at all, if we even have the power to dictate so. The Greeks have legitimate grievances, but allowing this all to happen could set a dangerous precedent. It may be better to use our influence to force a settlement between the two so the monarchy remains intact but in a shape better suited to fit the needs of the Greek people.

"Then Section V is entirely useless, and the law needs a reform. In its current form though there is room for interpretation. In any case, I would advance the following act to clarify the matter definitively:
House Concerning Acts Act
If the Speaker and the Chamberlain agree that a proposed law concerns only one house, only this house votes on that law.
As for the difference, I am forced to disagree, Your Majesty. The grievance remains that the Assembly cannot remove a systematic injustice without approval of the Cortz, while causing the same injustice for the Cortz needs both the Assembly and the Cortz to approve it. It is just a preferred treatment of the Cortz, nothing more. While in theory, both houses have the same rights, and need to work together instead of against each other. Or, put into an act with mostly declaratory character:
House Composition Act
The Assembly is the house of the commoners.
The Cortz is the house of the nobility.
Both houses are separate of each other and have to respect their different characters.
As for who proposes that act, the distinction is hardly useful when we have the same factions in both houses."
As Faixòn ends, he looks to the far left of the Cortz members. The Count of Draguignan stands up, and motions to put the Cortz Election Act to a vote.

((If manufactories are built everywhere in Europe, then other production buildings where there aren't yet. Increase production when not needed elsewhere in the provinces without manufactories. Build manufactories overseas.
Our Minister of Religious Affairs can then consider the proposal. We don't change religious aspects often enough :p.))

((Cabinet))

How many attacked the Basileus and his wife? Were these truly soldiers? Or, as the Dowager Empress said herself, farmers? Would you also see it as a breach of sovereignty if a Pole attacked the Lithuanian king in Rome or anywhere else? Hardly. No, this is not comparable. Would you condemn an attack from a French on his monarch as a breach of Hispania's sovereignty merely because it happens within our borders? Certainly there would be a condemnation, but not because of the breach of sovereignty, but because of the act itself, no matter where it is committed. If it happens on Hispanian soil, there should instead be a reprimand issued to ourselves for we let this attack happen. And the claiming of Athens? As I said before, Byzantium claims territory it lost centuries ago as theirs. They never stopped calling themselves the Roman Empire. Yet our sovereignty isn't breached every day by the Byzantines because they claim these lands. The only very aggressive action here comes from the usual suspect, who indeed knows declarations of war less direct for having issued them herself.

Therefore it is hardly a declaration of war on Hispania, merely a product of circumstance, of opportunity, created by the missing attention from the guards in Athens. The revolutionaries are still Byzantine citizens. They never claimed anything else. Their government oppressed them, ignored their qualms for ages, and forfeited its legitimacy in the eyes of the citizens. Not only their eyes. The situation is not comparable to Hispania's civil war - the people claimed reform for a long time. They were always ignored, even killed for it. The spark came from the broad majority of the Greeks, not launched by generals of the army. If that wide majority doesn't serve as legitimacy, then nothing does.

Power-hungry farmers they are not. They do not WANT war, unlike some of us. They realize that if negotiations are involved, the very same people who abused their position will stay. Or others will come and continue where they left. The revolutionaries don't aspire power, they aspire freedom, prosperity for all instead of for the few and poverty for the rest. There is no reason to believe that they will fail to act upon these ideals. The time for intervention might come if they do not.

The question is not if we wish to support the nobility and monarch or the common man. Even if this is somewhat what is reflected herein the Cabinet. My position is not merely grounded on the fact that I am a commoner. I do not see the revolution as an attack on the vile nobility. I see it as a pursuit of justice against ignorant oppressors who failed to take the many chances they had to avoid this. Hispania has taken that path of avoidance, as long it doesn't leave that path, there is no reason to fear anything similar. The blame doesn't fall upon the people, and those responsible need to face justice. The only role I can see for Hispania is to observe the administration of this justice should it come that far, and to enforce reforms should it not.

((Private - Cabinet))

"While the Interior Minister and I are increasingly at odds with one another in the Assembly, I must echo his call to avoid interference in the Greek issue. Certainly, while we do have a duty towards Byzantium, we should not forget what title His Majesty holds - Protector of the Greeks.

"The people of Greece should be held in account first, and to support the Basileus would be to fail in protecting the Greek people. No nation enters a revolution simply because the time of day is right, or because weather permits the occasion. No, revolutions of this sort begin when grievances have not been heard, and a reign of tyranny, seemingly immortalized.

"Those people who we ought to protect have been oppressed, cast into serfdom, granted few rights, and forced into unnecessary poverty. We must ask then, from whom should we protect the Greeks? From themselves? Nay, from the one who has broken his social contract and pushed them to insurrection. The Basileus has received a penance for his sins, and all that has occured and will occur to him should be considered in such a frame.

"Furthermore, if we are to engage on the behalf of such a tyrant, what are we if not tyrants ourselves? To go to war is to sentence good men to death, and must only occur under appropriate circumstances. I fear that if we attempt to intervene in greece, we will be no more to the people than invaders, and facing a union of people, we shall not find success without the giving of countless lives, and for what end?

"I propose that the matter of intervention in Greece be put to a vote of Parliament, and that, in turn, planning and judgment in detemining the appropriate ends of our intervention or non-intervention are allowed to be done in those chambers."

Plan for the Ministry of the Navy:
Rename Grande Armada to Armada de l'Atlàntic, its main base will be on the Azores.
Rename Armada Colonial to Armada del Pacífic, the main naval base for this fleet will be Canton.
Begin construction of a third fleet, Armada del Mediterrani, with the main port on Malta. Begin with 20 Threedeckers and 40 Archipelago Frigates. After the initial stage is done, expand it by adding 45 transport ships and then 10 more Threedeckers, and as the final step construct 15 more Archipelago Frigates.

(( Cabinet ))

"I expressed my opinion on the matter of rebels earlier, in front of the Assembly, but I shall say it again.
I don't think we need to intervene yet, as the people are simply doing what they can to end their oppression. And murdering thousands of them wouldn't really serve their protection. They Byzantines had centuries to reform, the grand their people some proper rights, but failed to do so. We should stand aside for now, and allow the Greeks to gain what they want.

As monsieur Salcedo pointed out, the title of His Majesty is the "protector of the Greeks", so slaughtering countless greeks in order to keep a monarch that failed to keep his subjects content would go against the ancient oath made long ago.
So we must ask ourselves: Are we protecting all, or just the elites who ruled the land? Will we be fair to all, or will we continue to support injustice?

Hispania has been at war for far too long, I think it is about time for our empire to begin enjoying peace and prosperity it brings, we should embrace Pax Hispanica. We should allow our subjects to rest from the hardship of war, allow them to see that Hispania truly is the greatest country, and not a simple warmonger who seizes every oportunity it can in order to expand and gain more land at the cost of lives of its dear citizens.

I think it's time to let the exhausted soldiers return home to their families, let the sailors enjoy some time on the shores of their homeland, and let merchants sails without fears of being shot at by our enemies.

I think Hispania should watch closely at the world around, and only intervene if the current balance of power will be threatened."

((Private - Cabinet))

If a passive stance towards the world is what you desire then so be it. Every death in Greece is on your heads, including the Basileus. I fear the next time we meet, it will be in the immediate aftermath of his show trait and execution.

((Cancel the order to armed intervention in Greece.
Deny ALL call to arms from ANY nation.))

(( Cabinet ))

I think you misunderstood my words.
I mearly meant that we shouldn't be the aggressors, that for far too long Hispania has been claiming what they want, only because it was the biggest power in the world.
Our goal should not be conquest, we should focus on keeping peace around the world.

"Then Section V is entirely useless, and the law needs a reform. In its current form though there is room for interpretation. In any case, I would advance the following act to clarify the matter definitively:

As for the difference, I am forced to disagree, Your Majesty. The grievance remains that the Assembly cannot remove a systematic injustice without approval of the Cortz, while causing the same injustice for the Cortz needs both the Assembly and the Cortz to approve it. It is just a preferred treatment of the Cortz, nothing more. While in theory, both houses have the same rights, and need to work together instead of against each other. Or, put into an act with mostly declaratory character:

As for who proposes that act, the distinction is hardly useful when we have the same factions in both houses."
As Faixòn ends, he looks to the far left of the Cortz members. The Count of Draguignan stands up, and motions to put the Cortz Election Act to a vote.

((If manufactories are built everywhere in Europe, then other production buildings where there aren't yet. Increase production when not needed elsewhere in the provinces without manufactories. Build manufactories overseas.
Our Minister of Religious Affairs can then consider the proposal. We don't change religious aspects often enough :p.))

JpsioAG.png

I'm afraid the intent of that law then escapes your grasp. It was not created with the intent of defining who can and cannot decide which bill affects one house, but to ensure that each house cannot pass drastic laws only affecting themselves without the intervention of the other, while still being free to implement minor changes when they please. I do not think it wise for either of the houses to be able to freely pass any law they wish that only affects them without the other house able to do anything about it. While having both the Speaker and Chamberlain required to decide upon this is at least a minor roadblock to never-ending reforms, it is not enough. We already are seeing what happens when one of the positions is vacant. Each house needs its own checks and balances, something the other house provides. This removes it too much. I thus cannot allow this law to be considered without serious revision.

((Private - Cabinet))

JpsioAG.png

The shortsightedness of this Cabinet surprises me. Do you all truly believe that standing by and allowing these rebels to rampage across Byzantium is the best solution? Do you think they'll just waltz into the royal palace, declare a new government, and that will be it? I can assure you that will not be the case. These rebels do not know the first thing about government. How do we know whatever government follows the current one won't be as corrupt the last? Chaos breed chaos. The Greek people, no matter their desires, will not fix their problems without great sacrifice paid in blood, something we have the power to prevent.

And what of all the people caught in the crossfire? This is not some tidy little war where two armies meet in the field of battle and civilians are left to their own devices. Innocent people are dying as these rebels fight through the streets of the Greek cities and countryside. The longer this conflict ensues, the more people will die. Is it not our obligation to prevent such bloodshed if we can? To look the other way and allow the slaughter to continue is an atrocity, and something that would make us unfit to hold the title Protector of the Greeks.

I must thus make this declaration. If we cannot bring these rebels to the negotiation table and arrange a settlement, I will have no choice but to order a military intervention. People will die, and that I regret, but it is the lesser of two evils. We have the power to restore order and bring about the reforms the Greek people desire. As much as it pains me, I will not shy away from accomplishing this at the end of a sword if it means less people will die in the grand scheme of things. I do not intend to do this on behalf of the Basileus, but on behalf of the innocent Greeks pulled into this conflict.

Now I recommend that we begin attempts at diplomacy in full force. While I am willing to pursue the military option, that cannot be considered until all diplomatic options have been exhausted. Ending this peacefully is always the optimal outcome.

JpsioAG.png

It is time I address Parliament on the matter of this rebellion in Byzantium. I believe we can all agree that these rebels have legitimate concerns. However, the means about which they are attempting to obtain their goals is intolerable. As the angry commoners and the remnants of the old guard fight it out in the streets and countryside, innocent people are dying. Too much blood is being spilled in the pursuit of reform. And then we must consider if these reforms will even be achieved in the desired form. I have my doubts that these rebels will be capable of creating a stable government, let alone maintain order once a new government is formed. It is likely the entire situation will escalate out of control, and that is not something we can permit.

I know many of you favour non-intervention. You do not think it our place to interfere in their affairs. Yet are we not failing our duties as Protector of the Greeks by allowing them to turn on each other in violence? We have the power and influence to bring an end to this conflict. Yes, this is a Greek matter, but it is also a human matter. Lives should not be wasted when they can be saved. We must pursue all efforts to bring a peaceful end to this rebellion. I do not say this because I desire the Basileus to be returned to power as he was before. Reform is needed. We must ensure that the demands of the rebels are met, while in turn ensuring that a semblance of the old government remains. Change is good, but in small doses. We must change what was wrong with the old order and keep what worked.

We must also consider that the violence that has broken out in Byzantium will not stop, that these rebels will deny our attempts to mediate a settlement and pursue their demands to a bloody end. This grieves me to even consider that any person would be willing to allow such bloodshed to occur when offered a way out that can save innocent lives. With that in mind, I must declare that if a peaceful settlement cannot be reached, we have no choice but to intervene militarily. I do not make this choice lightly. I know lives will be lost, some of them Hispanian, but I believe it the lesser evil. We must do this not to protect the Basileus, but to protect those Greeks drawn into this conflict against their will. It is those Greeks that we are most sworn to protect, and I shall do what I must to fulfill that duty. I only pray that all of you can accept that.

((People better start working on negotiations or we're intervening. I will delay the update if necessary if negotiations are ongoing. Also, seeing as the Emperor has just blocked a law, his legitimacy will drop accordingly.

Now for the vote. Since only 05 presented a potential Minister of Education, his nominee gets the position in 1800. We have two candidates for Speaker and the Assembly will be voting on that. The act about the Ruthenians is technically not binding and will merely serve as an incentive for the Emperor to intervene in Transdacia on Parliament's behalf. The referendum vote is simply seeking approval to hold a referendum in our Greek territories. It does not decide the outcome, which I will determine later. The two acts about Italy obviously cannot both be passed, so you will have to choose between them or vote no to both. Fire has clarified for me that his act does include all of Italy and our territory in Istria despite the regions named. It should be noted that you may vote as you please for the amendment to the one. I've also included a vote for the Greek Revolution, although this is more for Parliament to express their opinion on the matter than to actually decide what to do, seeing as the Emperor has made clear what will happen. You can choose to voice your support for non-intervention where we don't meddle at all, even diplomatically. You can vote to intervene, which means diplomacy first and military intervention later if necessary. You can also vote to only support diplomacy, which means interfering but without resorting to military means. The outcome of the vote may sway the Emperor to change his mind, or will just impact how much of a drop to legitimacy he will receive if he continues along the path he has chosen.

The Assurance of Appointment Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Speaker of the House Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Cortz Election Act: Yes/No/Abstain
House Composition Act: Yes/No/Abstain
The Reformation of Administration Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Regional Governance Act: Yes/No/Abstain
The Ministry of Espionage Act: Yes/No/Abstain
The Protection of Hispania Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Military Support Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Amendment to Naval Reform of 1793: Yes/No/Abstain
The Free Trade Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Protection of the Ruthenian People Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Referendum for Hispanian Greeks: Yes/No/Abstain

Vote for one or neither:
Federalization of Italy Act: Yes/No/Abstain
Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: Yes/No/Abstain

Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: Yes/No/Abstain

Speaker (Assembly Only): Adalberto Giordano ((LostPatriot))/Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre ((05060403))/Abstain

Greek Revolution: Non-intervention/Intervene/Diplomacy Only/Abstain

Mission: Trade/Buton/Buhera/Abstain

Players will have until Saturday at 12PM PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name, class, house, and party.

qS7UhZq.jpg
))

Last edited:
Yet again, with his condition slowly improving, it seemed, Prince Matthias wheeled himself into the chamber to vote.

The Assurance of the appointment Act: Yes, a most fine and stablizing act, one of the few good things to come from the Empress Dowager
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: Abstain, if only this act were clearer, then perhaps it would hold some credence
Speaker of the House Act: Yes, a simple, but well reasoned Act, bravo to Mr Saint-Pierre
Cortz Election Act: No, this act goes against the very principle of the Cortz, how dare such a Act be even suggested!
House Composition Act: Yes, This bodies are naturally separated, and so they should remain
The Reformation of Administration Act: Abstain, Well reasoned, but another time perhaps, one more stable
Regional Governance Act: Yes, A well meaning and suitable suggestion towards a centralised and modern nation state
The Ministry of Espionage Act: No, His Imperial Majesty, Caeser of us all, is ever wise in his judgements.
Protection of Hispania Act: Abstain, a well meaning act I am sure, I fear it could lead to too much unrest, if we are to eventually intervene in the Byzantine Lands.
Military Support Act: Yes, our great nation is built on the greatness of our subjects overseas, we deserve them at the very least this kindness.
Amendment to the Naval Reform Act of 1793: Yes, a well reasoned and well implemented proposition, I am all for it.
Free Trade Act: No, tradition has served us well in this field, why remove a stable institution?
Protection of the Ruthenian People: Yes, as our subjects, they are owed the ability to express themselves in their native tongue, be it in the majority or the minority
Referendum for Hispanian Greeks: Yes, for a long time they have existed under our purview, but they may feel they are better suited to the eastern capital, they deserve this right.

Vote for one or neither:
Federalization of Italy Act: Abstain
Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: Abstain
Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of Italian Provinces: Abstain
after the recent release of Transdacia, perhaps this move can be seen to be occuring too quickly. Let us see what the next few years may bring.

Greek Revolution: Diplomacy Only, the greeks deserve our help in bringing options to the table, but it is unwise to want to spill blood straight away. This way we can be seen to offer help, but not lose a Hispanian life.

Mission: Buhara

Voting by Prince Matthias de Soneta di Belmonte, Prefect of the Bureau of the National Police, Independent in the Cortz, Count of Pirineo, Urgell and Zaragoza

Last edited:
The Assurance of Appointment Act: Nay
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: Aye
Speaker of the House Act: Aye
Cortz Election Act: Nay
House Composition Act: Nay
The Reformation of Administration Act: Aye
Regional Governance Act: Nay
The Ministry of Espionage Act: Abstain
The Protection of Hispania Act: Abstain
Military Support Act: Nay
Amendment to Naval Reform of 1793: Aye
The Free Trade Act: Aye
Protection of the Ruthenian People Act: Nay
Referendum for Hispanian Greeks: Aye

Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: Aye
Greek Revolution: Diplomacy
"However I must also express my resentment towards the Free Trade act, as it seems like an attack towards our merchants. The idea of abolishing the system that has worked so well for so long is, let me put is simply, idiotic.

As you are all aware I come from a family that was always closely tied to trade, and my ancestors would never agree with this, nor does anyone who supports Parta Marina. The 5% tax reduction for 10 years will not be nearly enough to cover the losses of our traders, and in result our economy will suffer greatly. Just ask yourself how much gold flows into the treasury thanks to the merchants.

That's why I ask anyone who is sane to vote against this initiative that will only weaken our great nation!"

"In defense of my Free Trade Act against the words of Don Saint-Pierre, I certainly believe that my act, to put is most simply, is not idiotic. Let me analyze his objections to my act. Firstly, I think that Saint-Pierre has a sincere misunderstanding. This system has worked perhaps, in the eyes of a family which has enjoyed great power and the sole trading rights over vast areas. But exempting the common merchant from these lands is, well, anti-competition. Competition breeds innovation, the lack of which is common areas with monopolies. And on another part, just because a system has 'worked' doesn't mean we can do better? We moved ourselves into an Enlightened Autocracy, from a system which has, indeed, worked for quite a long time. Would you like us to become a Kingdom again? After all, for many years it worked well? Would you like to go back to the times where much of plebeians were subject to Serfdom? It worked 'well' and certainly was around for a long time, longer then these 'rights' you hold so highly.

Your ancestors, according to your words, would never agree with this. And to this I agree, after all, they did have an inherent reason to do such a thing. After all, their monopolies within the TATC were the crux of their power, and whom would give this up?

To anyone supporting Parta Marina as of now, this is in fact better for you, as many of you are merchants and have been prohibited from selling your goods due to the large monopolies given to the TATC. And our traders? It is not our traders, but the trades of the companies who control these monopolies. The rest of the traders will have vast new opportunities in areas that were previously never available, entire continents will open up because of this act. This act is, admittedly not in favor of the vastly rich trans-continent trading companies, but the common merchants and allowing them to trade freely within our Empire, without restrictions."

Last edited:
The Assurance of Appointment Act: Yes
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: No
Speaker of the House Act: Yes
Cortz Election Act: No
House Composition Act: No
The Reformation of Administration Act: Yes
Regional Governance Act: Yes
The Ministry of Espionage Act: No
The Protection of Hispania Act: No
Military Support Act: Yes
Amendment to Naval Reform of 1793: Yes
The Free Trade Act: No
Protection of the Ruthenian People Act: Yes
Referendum for Hispanian Greeks: Yes

Vote for one or neither:
Federalization of Italy Act: Yes
Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: No

Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: Abstain, due to not voting for the related law.

Speaker (Assembly Only): Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre ((05060403)

Greek Revolution: Diplomacy Only

Mission: Buhera

Joaquin Villanova (Courtier, Colonist, funded colony, Minister of Trade, Appointed Assemblyman)

The Assurance of Appointment Act: Yes
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: No
Speaker of the House Act: No
Cortz Election Act: No
House Composition Act: No
The Reformation of Administration Act: Abstain
Regional Governance Act: No
The Ministry of Espionage Act: Abstain
The Protection of Hispania Act: Yes
Military Support Act: Yes
The Free Trade Act: Abstain
Referendum for Hispanian Greeks: Abstain

Vote for one or neither:
Federalization of Italy Act: No

Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: Abstain

Speaker (Assembly Only): Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre ((05060403))

Greek Revolution:Intervene

Mission: Abstain
Dear Count,

It has come to our attention that the views you hold on politics are rightly guided. Quite enlightened. But will you work to make your views a reality? If so, come to hallway in between the Southeastern and Northeastern wings of the Assembly, at seven hours after noon, and talk of cheese. A man will meet you, speaking of olives. He will lead you into another room, where we will discuss further options in the quest to save Hispania.

The Illuminati
((Fellow Illuminati members, Lagos is voluntarily keeping you out of the loop. :cool: Its a conspiracy in a conspiracy. ;) ))

Justinian Lagos joins the Faccion del Fenix. :eek:

((Private - Edredon Leadership))

We Camponistas propose a merger with your party, such that we might advance a joint agenda on the interests of the local peoples of Hispania. It is my belief that cooperation will find us the greatest success, particularly as your former leader has seemingly abandoned both regionalism and your party in favor of the Phoenixes. I am quite willing to negotiate certain terms of an agreement between our parties, and I hope to hear a response soon, as extremely trying times are now underfoot.

In Sincerity,

Juan de Salcedo,

Minister of Justice

@hirahammad
What in God's name are you doing?! I hope you have a good reason!

Edit:

Your leader seems to have abandoned you for the Phoenix opposition. For what reason I don't know. However, I would like to make a deal with whoever's in charge. The Reconquista and Edredon have very similar platforms, and a merger would greatly benefit both of us as we would no longer try to steal each other's votes. I am willing to negotiate as many terms as necessary in your favor to reach an agreement.

I look forward to hearing your response.

Regards,
~Fernando de Leon, representative for the Partido Reconquista

Last edited:
((Private))

Basileus Ioannes XI opened his eyes to utter darkness. He struggled for a moment, his last memory being fleeing from his pursuers. He tried to get up and run, but found he could move only a foot or two, for he was chained to the wall. The chains pulled him back and he fell on his rump. The floor was hard and damp. Ioannes took several moments to collect his composure, the only sound his heavy breathing and the occasional drip of water hitting the floor. Had they somehow caught him? He couldn't remember it if they had. He only remembered running, his family right behind him, and then nothing.

The sound of creaking metal caught Ioannes attention and light suddenly filled the room. A man wearing a black robe pulled open a rusty iron gate and entered. He placed the torch he carried in a sconce on the far wall. The man approached him, his face covered by his hood, and that was when Ioannes noticed the wooden chair placed directly in front of him. The man sat down, slowly as though his bones ached from that simple movement, and watched Ioannes in silence. The Basileus could not see through the darkness of the hood, but he could feel the stranger's gaze nonetheless.

The robed man remained silent for what seemed like hours, but was most likely minutes. Ioannes expected him to ask a question or explain what was going on, but nothing like that happened. Eventually the Basileus cracked and asked first. "Who are you?"

The robed man sat up straighter in his seat. "A good question, although one we all ask but never of ourselves. Perhaps you should be asking who you are, Your Majesty."

The Basileus shook his head in confusion. What did that even mean? He tried to move closer to the robed man, but the chains pulled him back. "What do you want with me?"

The robed man let out a deep chuckle, one that reverberated off the walls almost mockingly. "There are many out there that want you for their own needs. The revolutionaries would see you a slave to them just as they were once a slave to you; well, at least their leaders would. It is the way of things that those in charge often fail to see the true intentions of those who follow. Your supposed friends in Hispania would drain your body of all its blood if it meant saving even a drop of Hispanian blood, although the prospect of putting you in place like a puppet remains. Even your own nobles would throw you to the wolves to save their own skin. They all want you for their own purposes. As for me, I have none. There is nothing I want from you."

"Then why are you holding me here?" the Basileus asked with a trembling voice, testing the length of his chains one more.

"For your protection, or perhaps my own curiosity. Maybe both. It is hard to tell what He wants of us at times."

Ioannes shifted up onto his knees so his head was more level with the robed man. "I don't understand."

"Most of us never do," the robed man said, resting his hands on his legs. "Tell me, Your Majesty, are you a devout Christian?"

Ioannes thought over the events of his life. Recent events had made him reflective as of late. He knew he had made mistakes, terrible ones, and he was paying the price now. He had failed to see the signs right in front of his eyes. For reasons unknown, he felt himself compelled to speak the truth. "Not as much as I should have been."

Ioannes could almost hear the man in front of him cracking a smile. "Your honesty is refreshing. Most men delude themselves into thinking they are always right. They pass from this world in blissful ignorance and pay for it in the next. Owning up to your sins is the first step to redemption."

"Why do you speak to me of this?" the Basileus said. "Are you a priest? What is your name?"

"Aye, once I was, but God has given me a higher calling," the robed man said. "He speaks to me, revealing His truth when need be, and I humbly interpret what I can. As for my name, I go by many, but you may call me the Prophet."

Before Ioannes could speak again to ask more questions, the Prophet pulled back his hood, revealing his bald head and wrinkled face. The man was old, ancient even, his veins bulging from his skin. What drew Ioannes's attention the most were his eyes, or rather lack thereof. Where eyes should have been only remained puckered scars.

As if sensing his gaze, the Prophet gave a crooked smile. "You have surely noticed that I lack eyes, but I assure you that I can see better than you can. God shows me things that no other mortal could ever comprehend. He shows me such beautiful and terrible things. It can be both a blessing and a curse." The Prophet ran a hand over his cheek and around his eye socket. He lightly touched at the scar and Ioannes recoiled in horror.

"Do you want to know who took my eyes?" When Ioannes seemed unwilling to answer, the Prophet continued. "I did. I plucked them out myself. After God granted me my first vision, the things I saw were so terrible they slowly drew me mad. But then I realized the truth. It was not the visions haunting my mind, but the world around me."

The Prophet rose from his seat, his elderly body creaking in protest, and started pacing the room. "Mankind commits such atrocities every day. We wallow in sin with few regrets. This world is a cesspool, and the farther we fall into its murky depths, the swifter our end will come. Soon the Apocalypse will be upon us and God will judge us all."

Ioannes struggled against his chains, hoping that something would give so he could rush this man and be free. This so-called Prophet was clearly mad, a raving lunatic who thought he spoke to God. He needed to get out of here before this madman started hearing voices telling him to kill the Basileus.

The Prophet stopped in his pacing, his empty eye sockets pointed right at Ioannes. "You do not need to fear harm from me, Your Majesty. As long as you remain here, you shall be safe. I am merely to keep you here until God has decided your fate."

A shiver ran down Ioannes spine. It was as though this man knew what he had just been thinking. He tried to shake that idea away and said, "What is my fate then?"

"I have seen many paths for you, yet even I cannot tell you which one you will end up following."

The Basileus edged his way back towards where the chains were attached to the wall. Hoping the old man wouldn't notice, he started fiddling with it, hoping he could get free. For now he'd have to keep the robed man distracted. "Then tell me what they all are then."

"If you insist," the Prophet said, moving behind the wooden chair and placing his wrinkled hands down on the backrest. He gazed upwards as if staring at something that couldn't be seen, which was ridiculous since he had no eyes. "You shall reclaim your throne but you will never rule."

The Prophet let out a dull grown and seemed to slump for a moment before standing back up straight. "In this life you have horded great wealth and given little, but you shall find yourself ruined by that which you have given the most."

The Prophet repeated the same sound and motion. "You shall lose that which you value most, and only then will Byzantium lose all that has held it back."

"You shall learn to love thy enemy, and in turn leave your mark eternally in the annals of history."

"You shall be saved by the grace of one you trust, but you shall never be free."

The Prophet let out a loud gasp and nearly collapsed to the floor, only his feeble grip on the chair keeping him on his feet. He took in several deep breaths before struggling to stand up straight.

Ioannes watched him in shock. The display had been quite dramatic and he felt as though he had witnessed something both beyond his comprehension and immensely personal. He cleared his throat and said, "What does that all mean?"

The Prophet took a few more moments to regain his composure before letting out a deep laugh. His laughter echoed off the walls and in the Basileus's head. "Their interpretation is up to you. God speaks in riddles. It is up to us to pluck the truth from amongst the lies."

Ioannes felt as though this raving madman had been wasting his time. Why was this man holding him here to share imagined prophecies that may or may never come true? "Will you let me go?"

The Prophet plucked the torch from the sconce and shuffled towards the gate. It opened with a creak and he stepped outside the room. After closing it behind him, he turned around, pressing his face against the iron grates. "That is for God to decide." Without another word, the Prophet left the Basileus to wallow alone in the darkness.

After a very short discussion within the faction, Faixòn addresses Lagos.
"We were not entirely sure how to interprete this declaration, Archbishop. Luckily for you, our faction hasn't got an autocratic structure, or the answer would have reached you immediately. Still, I am sure the reaction will surprise nobody. I hereby ask you: Is it a joke, or is it an insult? Because we unanimously decided to deny you whatever it is you wish to accomplish. The Facció del Fénix is true to its ideals, unlike some other factions. We do not betray these ideals! We do not sell our souls! We see this declaration as an insult, and denounce it!
The Facció del Fénix fights to give the people a stronger voice - not less! To remove this leftover thorn in the side of the Assembly that is the appointment! Not to keep and defend it, like you do! We represent the desire for secularization, and you are a clergyman! Do you believe we are that gullible and naive that we welcome the political opposite into our faction? You are insulting us.
So we will not hold back, honourless rat. Go complain to the pope if that helps you, though I am sure he will tell you the same in other words, or the conclave would have never elected him. This lame attempt to disrupt your opponent by joining him and still keeping your own views only presents you as the lowest of the low. Do not expect any one of us, nor anyone who calls himself a politician to respect you more than a cockroach. Before you become a Fénix, I am the leader of the Imperials! Return to the hole you came from!"

((I would say nice try, but this is so incredibly obvious... :rolleyes:))

Your Majesty, this act would be a check and balance as well as one that would give the choice of Speaker and Chamberlain more weight - would one of these go against the interests of their house, he could be replaced by majority vote. The act's intentions are to simplify the affair, but I see that I regrettably cannot change Your mind in this matter.
As the protection of innocent lives would be the goal of a possible intervention, then military action clearly is the wrong choice. What is the current situation? Many commoners turning against few nobles and the troops still loyal to them. Both wanting to rule Byzantium in one form of the other, so they will not needlessly cause destruction and death - the revolutionaries wish to improve the living conditions of the people, the nobles need to limit the destruction for this is the source of their decadent lifestyle. What will happen if Hispania intervenes? Laying siege to revolutionary cities, foraging on the Greek population? Against men who chose to fight instead of continuing their life in oppression? They have no reason to surrender, will fight until the bitter end. Hispanian intervention will only cause more support for the revolution - the evil overlord now called his friend to squash the revolt. Perfect propaganda, no matter what would be the Hispanian intentions. More revolutionaries, harder fights, no surrender - this formula leads to more deaths, more innocents caught in the crossfire, and a region unstable for multiple decades should the Basileus keep the upper hand. You are unwilling to trust them to create a fair trial, why should the Greeks believe Hispania to stand for their demands when we didn't act all these prior years?
Non-intervention is the only way. If the resulting government is causing chaos and treats the people as wrong as the previous one, then we can still intervene - without having the people against us. All I believe to be useful is to propose an independent Hispanian court to put the accused on trial at the end of the revolution according to Greek law. It would end all fears of a show trial.

Cortz Election Act: No, this act goes against the very principle of the Cortz, how dare such a Act be even suggested!
The Count of Draguignan responds to this accusation:
"For the same reason that it goes against the very principle of the Assembly to have appointed members. We should level both houses, so that nobody can accuse any house of enjoying a superior position towards the other."

((The Assurance of Appointment Act: No
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: Yes
Cortz Election Act: Yes
House Composition Act: Yes
The Reformation of Administration Act: No))
It would best be left to the existing areas to organize their own structures according to their needs.
((Regional Governance Act: Yes
The Protection of Hispania Act: No))
Combating secessionist tendencies leaves much room for speculation, and I wouldn't see anyone serving such a long prison term merely because he wishes more autonomy.
((Military Support Act: No
The Free Trade Act: Abstain
Protection of the Ruthenian People Act: Abstain

Vote for one or neither:

Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: No

Greek Revolution: Non-intervention

Mission: Abstain

[Fénix]
))

The Assurance of Appointment Act: No
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act: Abstain
Cortz Election Act: Abstain
Since I am not a member of the Corz, I don't think I should vote on something that will affect that house.
House Composition Act: Yes
The Reformation of Administration Act: Yes
While I don't agree with all bills proposed by monsieur von Politz, I have to say that this one is well constructed and I think that thanks to di the administartion would be more efficiant.
Regional Governance Act: No
With the Minstry of Justice there is no need to establish another body that would do a similar job.
The Protection of Hispania Act: Yes
Military Support Act: Abstain
The Free Trade Act: No

Vote for one or neither:

Amendment to the Motion to Organize a Federation of the Italian Provinces: No

(( It doesn't feel right to vote for myself, but since by voting I also decide the votes from every member of Marina... :rolleyes: ))
Greek Revolution: Diplomacy Only

Mission: Trade

[ Courier, TATC, Minister of the Navy, Admiral | Assembly, Parta Marina ]

(( And I'm going to reserve this to reply to Duke Dan, I just don't have enough time now :p ))

After a very short discussion within the faction, Faixòn addresses Lagos.
"We were not entirely sure how to interprete this declaration, Archbishop. Luckily for you, our faction hasn't got an autocratic structure, or the answer would have reached you immediately. Still, I am sure the reaction will surprise nobody. I hereby ask you: Is it a joke, or is it an insult? Because we unanimously decided to deny you whatever it is you wish to accomplish. The Facció del Fénix is true to its ideals, unlike some other factions. We do not betray these ideals! We do not sell our souls! We see this declaration as an insult, and denounce it!
The Facció del Fénix fights to give the people a stronger voice - not less! To remove this leftover thorn in the side of the Assembly that is the appointment! Not to keep and defend it, like you do! We represent the desire for secularization, and you are a clergyman! Do you believe we are that gullible and naive that we welcome the political opposite into our faction? You are insulting us.
So we will not hold back, honourless rat. Go complain to the pope if that helps you, though I am sure he will tell you the same in other words, or the conclave would have never elected him. This lame attempt to disrupt your opponent by joining him and still keeping your own views only presents you as the lowest of the low. Do not expect any one of us, nor anyone who calls himself a politician to respect you more than a cockroach. Before you become a Fénix, I am the leader of the Imperials! Return to the hole you came from!"

((I would say nice try, but this is so incredibly obvious... :rolleyes:))

((I honestly thought it was a joke when I first read it and counted hirahammad's vote as an independent. Glad that I did. :p))