• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((@Michaelangelo A question I was wondering, and discussed a bit with Mach on the IRC, was how exactly are seats divided, is it one per county- thereby I represent 3 seats, or some other method? Also, where are you sitting me in the Cortz, i take it in the Independent (non appointed) seats, but please clarify- all the best :) ))

((@Michaelangelo A question I was wondering, and discussed a bit with Mach on the IRC, was how exactly are seats divided, is it one per county- thereby I represent 3 seats, or some other method? Also, where are you sitting me in the Cortz, i take it in the Independent (non appointed) seats, but please clarify- all the best :) ))

((At the moment, each county/province has a seat, including Crown ones. Nobles that have multiple county titles, such as you, receive a seat for each one, so you would have three. Seeing as you aren't associated with a party, all three of your seats would be considered non-Crown independents, a dying breed at this point. :p))

((Speaking of the Cortz, when my current character dies, I'm split between staying with the commoner branch of the Villanovas or if I should deal with the Noble counts of Provence for my next character. Being Colonist is fun, but I'm tempted to be an Independent, likely not for long, Cortz member.))

((Speaking of the Cortz, when my current character dies, I'm split between staying with the commoner branch of the Villanovas or if I should deal with the Noble counts of Provence for my next character. Being Colonist is fun, but I'm tempted to be an Independent, likely not for long, Cortz member.))

((Clearly, you next char should be a Los Campos :p))

((Just raise autonomy on the provinces. I'm not sure on the details yet and would prefer everybody discuss them first.))

Fernando de Leon withdraws the Protection of the Ruthenian People Act, as existing legislation makes it impossible to enforce.

"Torres was a mediocre Speaker with virtually no background, and we should not make fools of ourselves by believing otherwise. Rather than allow a member of the faction which is most inherently opposed to the notion of even having an Assembly assume the Speakership, I nominate Charles Gustave de Saint-Pierre as Speaker of the Assembly.

"On a separate note, my party is vehemently opposed to any resolution on the Italian provinces which does not keep them intact as an administrative entity. While we wholeheartedly support the expansion of rights to the region, I believe that it is wholly detrimental to the well-being of anyone outside of a Valencian elite that we should be divided, forced to be one-against-the-other.

"In these interests, I present to Parliament a proposal on my own homeland - which I hope shall be seriously considered."

MOTION TO ORGANIZE A FEDERATION OF THE ITALIAN PROVINCES
I. The Italian Provinces shall be jointly organized into the Apennine Federation, which will be placed under the overall administration of a singular Consul, appointed by the Emperor in consultation with his Cabinet. The Consul shall be the chief magistrate of the Federation, and will hold executive authority within all of the Fifteen Provinces.

II. The Fifteen Provinces shall be established under Royal Charter, being granted several rights, including freedom from interference by other members of the Apennine Federation, the right to tax their citizens, the power to establish and enforce civil and criminal laws, the ability to establish official languages for local use, and independence from any and all laws passed by the Hispanian Parliament which do not bear their name.

III. The Fifteen Provinces shall be organized as follows:

i. Sicily
ii. Calabria
iii. Sardinia and Corsica
iv. Apulia
v. Campania
vi. Abruzzo
vii. Lazio
viii. Umbria
ix. The Marche
x. Tuscany
xi. Liguria
xii. Emilia
xiii. Romagna
xiv. Verona
xv. Lombardy
IV. The Fifteen Provinces will be granted the ability to determine their own systems of governance underneath the Consulate. These systems will be determined by local representatives, themselves determined by popular vote. The only restriction on such systems is that they respect the supremacy of the Consul over the Fifteen Provinces.

V. All citizens of the Fifteen Provinces shall also be citizens of Hispania, and will be allowed the rights of free travel and representation in Parliament.

((Increase Autonomy in Italy))

Last edited:
"Personally, I do not think we should decentralize local authority in Italy. But rather centralize it in a manner like our own Parliament, that all people in Italy have handle the affairs of the whole of Italy. Yet I do believe that is a good start, and support it as such. But there is the matter if this state were to extend north. Thusly. I propose a new amendment."

Add to III. xvi. Venetia
xvii. Carinola
xviii. Provence

Add VI. The Consul shall be of Italian birth, in order to ensure that he truly has the interests of Italy in their heart

"I believe the addition of these new provinces will be beneficial to this new Federation."

Last edited:
Lagos resigns from the position of head of Edredon, with Enrique de Sousa taking his position. Lagos cites reasons such as his feeling that the party goal is now being taken up by the larger Los Campos, and that the only way to be distinct from the Los Campos in this sense would be to severely radicalize, something he greatly opposes. He is also ashamed of the situation of the Ruthenians in Trandacia, given that he and most of the party had voted for an independent state. However, he is determined to make progress as an Independent, and to continue to protect the minor cultures in Hispania with his vote, as well as Hispania as a whole.

MOTION TO ORGANIZE A FEDERATION OF THE ITALIAN PROVINCES
I. The Italian Provinces shall be jointly organized into the Apennine Federation, which will be placed under the overall administration of a singular Consul, appointed by the Emperor in consultation with his Cabinet. The Consul shall be the chief magistrate of the Federation, and will hold executive authority within all of the Fifteen Provinces.

II. The Fifteen Provinces shall be established under Royal Charter, being granted several rights, including freedom from interference by other members of the Apennine Federation, the right to tax their citizens, the power to establish and enforce civil and criminal laws, the ability to establish official languages for local use, and independence from any and all laws passed by the Hispanian Parliament which do not bear their name.

V. All citizens of the Fifteen Provinces shall also be citizens of Hispania, and will be allowed the rights of free travel and representation in Parliament.

((Increase Autonomy in Italy))
"Forgive me if I misunderstand, but if members of the Apennine Federation are independent from Hispanian laws unless specifically included, yet they serve in the Parliament, then does that not allow for Apennines to influence laws that have no effect on them? Is this not unfair to the rest of Hispania?

Seocndly, if the Ligurians have shown no interest in this matter, and the Neapolitans have outright rejected it, why are they included in it? Especially Naples, which has been an integral part of Hispania for centuries. It was Napoli at which His Majesty first coordinated a defense against the Phoenixes, and to separate ourselves, even if not so greatly, from an area, so Hispanian for so long, which shows no interest in independence, is it not unadvisable?"

((Forgive me if I misunderstand ;), but if Apennine is governed/ruled by the Consul, who is absolute over a loose collection of nations, wouldn't this be a vassal in EU4 terms, but Hispania designates the heir? Also, would an analogue to this be an EU4 Revoke the Privilegia HRE?))

Lagos resigns from the position of head of Edredon, with Enrique de Sousa taking his position. Lagos cites reasons such as his feeling that the party goal is now being taken up by the larger Los Campos, and that the only way to be distinct from the Los Campos in this sense would be to severely radicalize, something he greatly opposes. He is also ashamed of the situation of the Ruthenians in Trandacia, given that he and most of the party had voted for an independent state. However, he is determined to make progress as an Independent, and to continue to protect the minor cultures in Hispania with his vote, as well as Hispania as a whole.

"Forgive me if I misunderstand, but if members of the Apennine Federation are independent from Hispanian laws unless specifically included, yet they serve in the Parliament, then does that not allow for Apennines to influence laws that have no effect on them? Is this not unfair to the rest of Hispania?

Seocndly, if the Ligurians have shown no interest in this matter, and the Neapolitans have outright rejected it, why are they included in it? Especially Naples, which has been an integral part of Hispania for centuries. It was Napoli at which His Majesty first coordinated a defense against the Phoenixes, and to separate ourselves, even if not so greatly, from an area, so Hispanian for so long, which shows no interest in independence, is it not unadvisable?"

((Forgive me if I misunderstand ;), but if Apennine is governed/ruled by the Consul, who is absolute over a loose collection of nations, wouldn't this be a vassal in EU4 terms, but Hispania designates the heir? Also, would an analogue to this be an EU4 Revoke the Privilegia HRE?))

"Perhaps instead of living in the past, or more specifically, fighting in the civil war, one could notice that there are actually thoses who look towards the FUTURE of Hispania, not the past. Maybe if one could actually give evidence of your words and claims, then maybe my mind could change. But, it appears you are a liar to me as of now."

((At this point, being independent in the Cortz makes you practically powerless, since you're competing with everyone else for less than 20 seats. :p Also, not to spoil things, but I sort of have to faze them out since there aren't any independents in Victoria II, so they have to be gone by 1836.))

"Perhaps instead of living in the past, or more specifically, fighting in the civil war, one could notice that there are actually thoses who look towards the FUTURE of Hispania, not the past. Maybe if one could actually give evidence of your words and claims, then maybe my mind could change. But, it appears you are a liar to me as of now."
The Ligurians were too focused on trade matters to care about such a state, while the Neapolitans outright opposed the idea in its entirety.
((Do you want me to translate into IC? :confused: I would much prefer not to.;) ))

Reactions:

((Do you want me to translate into IC? :confused: I would much prefer not to.;) ))

An angry Neapolitan Assemblyman mutters a curse in his local tongue so foul that it couldn't be included in the official parliamentary records.

((Private))

Basilissa Isabel and her husband, Basileus Ioannes XI Palaiologos, along with her 15-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter, walked down the empty dark streets of Athens. They had arrived around dusk after sailing from Constantinople as it went up in flames. Isabel had hated to leave the city, but these so-called revolutionaries left them no choice. Ioannes had said that their survival was the only thing that could ensure a return to order and stability, for the revolutionaries would win if the royal family was captured. Isabel had urged attempting negotiations, but her husband was in no mood to consider that. Despite her desire to set things right, he feared for his life too much. They had fled to ensure they could fight another day, although what they were doing wasn't much of fighting. Perhaps he was right though. She did not understand these revolutionaries. Their actions made her nervous.

Distracted by her thoughts, Isabel accidentally stepped in a puddle, ruining her fine boots. She missed the opulence of the palace in Constantinople already. She had gotten used to a life of comfort and wandering the streets of Athens at night wasn't exactly her idea of a good time. Her condition didn't exactly make the trip any easier either. She placed a hand to her swollen belly. Well near the end of her pregnancy, the baby was expected any day now. She should be at home resting, not fleeing for her life.

The sound of footsteps caught her attention and Isabel glanced around. A few men were walking a ways behind them. Could they be following her and her family? A couple then walked out a side street and she tensed, expecting an ambush. When the couple walked right past, engaged in merry conversation and paying no attention to her, she relaxed a bit. Maybe she was just being paranoid.

The footsteps grew louder. Isabel looked over her shoulder and swore the number of people behind her had doubled. When she turned back around, she spotted a figure looming in an alley. The glitter of steel drew her eye and she was overcome with dread. What did these people want?

Her husband leaned over to her and whispered in her ear. "Run." Before she could reply, he shouted it again and broke out into a full sprint. Their son, Alexios, watched his father run away and then noticed the men behind them. He grabbed his mother by the hand and started dragging her along. Her daughter Helene clung to her other hand as they followed their father.

They wound down several streets, Ioannes trying to get these men off their trail. Isabel looked back several times and could always see their pursuers, and they were catching up. The Basileus, who could run much faster than Isabel had ever expected, was soon out-distancing his family. Isabel went to cry out to him, but her foot suddenly stepped on the hem of her dress and she pitched forward. She screamed, fearing that she was about to kill her unborn child with the fall. Alexios, his hand still grasping hers, kept pulling her along even as she fell. She was abruptly spun around by him, landing on her backside on the street. Helene stumbled and fell beside her. Isabel grabbed at her belly and let out a sigh. Her unborn child remained unharmed.

As Isabel returned to her feet and helped her daughter back up, her pursuers caught up and surrounded them. The Basileus was still sprinting off into the distance, soon disappearing from sight. He hadn't even realized that he had left his family behind. Helene let out a whimper and Isabel ran her fingers through her daughter's hair, trying to comfort her. She couldn't show fear in front of these men.

As the group closed in around her, one men stepped forward. He had a gruff beard and a scarred face, but most noticeable was his plumed hat. He gave a toothy grin and said, "You must be the Basilissa. We were hoping your family would show up in Athens."

"What do you want?" Isabel said, eyeing each of the men around her. The majority of them were filthy and wore faded leather tunics. Most wielded rusted swords, with a few holding outdated muskets. They looked like farmers who had stolen some weapons and decided to become criminals. There were a couple women in the group, but the way they dressed made them hard to distinguish from the men.

"With you? Nothing," the man with the plumed hat said. "It's your husband we want." He made a motion towards the direction the Basileus had ran and whistled. Half the group split off in pursuit of the Basileus. The man drew closer. "And your son."

Alexios's eyes widened and it looked like he was about to faint. Isabel pulled him behind her. "I won't let you touch him."

The man with the plumed hat let out a guffaw. "Did you hear that lads? She won't let us." The group broke out into wicked laughter. Brandishing his sword at her, he added, "I believe there's nothing you can do to stop us."

Just as Isabel feared that she was about to be cut down, one of the men in the group grabbed the leader by the shoulder, his eyes drifting down to her belly. "You didn't say she was pregnant."

"What does it matter?" the leader said, the feather on his hat wavering as he spun to face the man. "She's a member of the royal family. She must die for her crimes."

"I ain't killing no pregnant woman," a woman in the group said. Others echoed a similar sentiment.

Outnumbered, the man with the plumed hat grumbled to himself and said, "Fine, we'll take her with us. They'll want to put her on trial anyway."

After the nods of assent, he added, "But the boy dies. He's too dangerous to leave alive." He glared over at the two who had protested, gauging their reaction. Neither seemed bothered by the fact.

The leader motioned to the two who had protested earlier to take care of the matter and bind the Basilissa's hands. The rest of the group then scurried off after the Basileus. Isabel backed away from the two thugs, shielding her son from them. "I won't let you harm my son."

"Come on, lady," the man said, "we won't hurt you or your daughter. Just hand over your son."

Isabel kept backing up, keeping her children behind her, until she had a wall behind her. There was nowhere for her to flee. Panic was starting to set in and her breathing was heavy. That was when she felt a trickle of moisture run down her leg. She looked down and saw a wet splotch forming on the front of her dress.

The Basilissa wasn't the only one to notice. "Christ, her water broke," the female thug said.

The man skewed his head. "Her what?"

"She's about to give birth, you dolt," the woman said.

Isabel was finding it hard to keep standing and slumped down. Only the grip of her son from behind kept her from collapsing.

The man glanced up and down the street with a worried expression and scratched at his head. "Well what the hell are we supposed to do? Should we just kill the boy and run?"

"And leave her alone as she goes into labour?" the woman said. "I don't like royalty, but I ain't leaving her to bleed out on the streets."

The man seemed to grow increasingly confused. Isabel found it hard to pay attention to what they were saying as the pain increased. The contractions were starting. The woman said something to her, but she didn't catch it. They approached her, but she was in no condition to resist. Both her children shied away and she feared this was the end. Then the two thugs put her arms on their shoulders and lifted her up, carrying her across the street to an empty cart. They lugged her up into it, laying her down in some hay. It wasn't the most comfortable position, but it was better than lying on the cobblestones.

As the contractions grew stronger, she let out a few pained screams. The man seemed frightened now and unsure what to do, but the woman remained calm. She pulled off her belt and offered it to the man, who then placed it in her mouth. Isabel heard the woman mutter something about chomping down on it to take focus away from the pain. She followed those instructions as the pain took her away.

What followed was the most unusual moment of Isabel's life. For a woman accustomed to the splendours of royalty, the very thought that she would ever be giving birth to a child in the back of some rundown wagon had never crossed her mind. Yet here she was. She pushed through it, and with the help of the two thugs, she successfully gave birth to a baby boy. As the female thug handed her the baby, she felt blissful for a moment, completely forgetting what had just befallen. That did not take long to dispel.

"So should we kill the boy now?" the male thug said. Alexios, who had been gripping his mother's hand the whole time, stiffened.

The female thug scowled. "What does it matter now? The Basileus has a new son now. Unless you want to kill the young babe too, the boy's death won't accomplish anything."

The male thug seemed satisfied with that answer and nodded. He looked down at the Basilissa and said, "Well it looks like it's you're lucky day. You and your children shall live, but you're coming with us."

Just as the two thugs got to their feet and leaped out of the wagon, the clomp of armoured feet could be heard nearby. A squadron of Athenian guards rounded the corner and approached the group. The thugs bristled as they came into view and they silently pleaded with Isabel with their eyes. Despite what they had just done for her, she wasn't an idiot.

"Guards!" Isabel cried out. The thugs jumped in surprised and drew their swords. Before they could harm her or do anything, the guards had them surrounded. A few seemed distracted by the fact that the Basilissa was lying in the back of wagon, blood soaking the hay and a newborn child in her arms. "I am the Basilissa of Byzantium. Arrest these two and take them into custody for me. Do not harm them though, for without them I would not have safely delivered my new son, Michael."

The guards shuffled the two thugs away, the two of them having dropped their swords after realizing that resisting would be futile. A carriage was called for the Basilissa and her children, where she was escorted to the Mandromenoi estates which were nearby. Patrols were sent out to find the Basileus, but no trace of his whereabouts could be found.

The Empress sat in her study when a servant entered.

"Mistress, the boats in Athens and Mylasa are in place as are the representatives. Should the Basileus go to either, we will be able to grant his passage. But as required, he will be brought to you first as you are the Minister in charge of Byzantine relations."

((I'm the count of the two counties where the Basileus can show up. And I am the one in charge of such things like a foreign head of state arriving. Basically I am requesting a roll that I get the Basileus in Valencia without anyone knowing, with him strong-armed into dealing with me instead of Parliament.))

My dear aunt, I send you this letter after the most troubling of events. My family and I had recently arrived in Athens when were were attacked by thugs, who I have learned are part of the rebellion occurring in Byzantium. My husband is missing and no trace has been found of him yet. I fear these rebels may have captured him. Me and my children are safe, thanks to the Hispanian police and the safety of your estates after we were found. I hope it is not a bother that I have taken up residence in your old home. I have recently given birth to a baby boy and am not fit to travel. When I have recovered, I intend to travel to Valencia, where I believe I will be most safe. I have sent my two children, Alexios and Helene, on ahead of me under the protection of some men working for you. I hope you do not think less of me for not remaining with my children, but I felt it best for them to be sent as far away from Greece until events have calmed down and did not want to make them wait for me to recover. I place them under your care until I am able to return to them. If you would be so kind, I would appreciate if you could send word to my cousin Alfons or his son Pere that I was hoping to arrange a match between my son Alexios and Pere's daughter Caterina. Perhaps the timing is not appropriate, but it was something I had been planning to arrange before things became so dire. A wedding may be a good distraction for my children.

On a related note, two of the thugs that accosted me have been taken into custody. I have requested that they not be harmed, for they did me a great service by helping me birth my child. They have been quite forthcoming as of late, perhaps realizing the error of their ways or the futility of their current predicament. While they know little of the workings of this rebellion, it seems that they either know who is in charge or can contact them. With my husband and his ministers unable to manage this rebellion, if Hispania wishes to intercede on our behalf, I recommend making use of these two as intermediaries. They are currently in the custody of the Hispanian police in Athens. I have requested that your policemen keep my involvement secret, as well as my whereabouts, for I do not wish for the rebels to find me. I fear I will not be safe until I leave Greece. I pray that I may be able to join you soon in Valencia.

- Basilissa Isabel Palaiologina née de Trastámara

((To clarify, no one knows where the Basileus is, the Basilissa is in Athens at the Mandromenoi estate until she recovers, and her two eldest children will soon arrive in Valencia to be placed under the Empress Dowager's care. The two thugs can now be used as intermediaries with the leaders of the revolution. Only @Mach Twelve and @Firehound15 know of their existence at the moment, due to the Basilissa's letter for the former and due to the rebels being held by the police under the Ministry of Justice for the latter. They are also the only ones who know that the Basileus was in Athens and where the Basilissa currently is.))

"I will gladly accept the position of the Minister of The Navy, and I promise to do everything in my power to diligently fulfil the duties that come with the appointment. I will see to it that the Hispanian Navy will keep its dominant position, as it has for several centuries."

"However I must also express my resentment towards the Free Trade act, as it seems like an attack towards our merchants. The idea of abolishing the system that has worked so well for so long is, let me put is simply, idiotic.

As you are all aware I come from a family that was always closely tied to trade, and my ancestors would never agree with this, nor does anyone who supports Parta Marina. The 5% tax reduction for 10 years will not be nearly enough to cover the losses of our traders, and in result our economy will suffer greatly. Just ask yourself how much gold flows into the treasury thanks to the merchants.

That's why I ask anyone who is sane to vote against this initiative that will only weaken our great nation!"

"I would also like to propose a small amendment to the naval reform that was recently started"

Amendment to the Naval Reform of 1793
I. The highest ranks in the navy shall be: The Grand Admiral of Atlantic and Grand Admiral of the Orient.
1. The Grand Admirals shall be appointed by the Minister of the Navy, only if the candidate has shown exceptional skill in command and valor in combat.
2. The admirals shall operate separately from each other, each one being responsible for their respective region.
3. In special cases it is possible for one man to hold both ranks, in which case he shall be titled as The Grand Admiral of Hispania.​

II. The Naval Academy will be split into two: The Lower Academy for regular sailors and petty officers, as well as The Upper Academy for officers.
1. The Upper Academy will be restricted to those who showed exceptional skill during service, or those who have achieved extraordinary academic results in the Lower Academy.
2. Anyone above Frigate Captains will be required to finish education at the Upper Academy.
3. A specially formed committee of admirals and government officials will determine if a candidate is suitable for education at the Upper Academy.​

"And with that out of the way I would like to talk about the news that reached us from Byzantium... As we all know, our Empror bears the title of the "Protector of the Greeks", but we must ask ourselves: Is he protecting the people or is he protecting the monarch of their throne, the nobles ruliung the land? Is he protecting all, or just the ruling elites?
Hispania has been at war so long I think it is time to apprecite the value of peace.
For now we should look closely at the situation in Byzantium, but do nothing. After all the people must have a good reason to stand up against the Emperor. However if we see that our peace, Pax Hispanica if you wish, is threathened, then we will have no choice but to smite those who endanger it with all our might."

Dear people of Najd,
We are happy to hear reports of your willigness to trade with us, and this is why we come to you with a special offer.
We are sure that the Persians and Yemeni are less than happy with the current situation, as well as your recent expeansion. That is why we wish to sell you surplus Hispanian weapons and equipment at lowered cost in order to prepare your thriving nation for the potential agression. While we would wish to offer you more, however as a trading company there are limists to what we can do.
However we urge you to seek help from Hispania. We are certain that both nations could benefit from an alliance. The final decision however is up to you.
Respectfully,
The council of the Trans Atlantic Trading Company.

Faixòn contemplated his options after the results of the vote, after those of the election. Fluctuation was a good sign. Yet he had to plan ahead for the next election. And what to make of the last results. The fight was not over. And the revolution in Byzantium, a logical consequence of the last uprising. Back then, nobody listened to the demands of his electoral campaign, now they had to. And yes... that could work out.

After decades of service as Speaker of the Assembly, Francesco Torres refused to run for reelection, and retired to the countryside where he now can be found watching his crops and grandchildren grow on his estate.

((We have had what five attempts to remove the appointed Assemblymen? Well, this law stops any talk of that, making it a two step process.))

In Parliament, he grinned as the Dowager Empress presented the Act to stabilize her creatures. Laughter was heard amongst Phoenix ranks. As the hall calmed down, Faixòn rose to respond.
"
Well isn't that interesting. There is a majority against the continued appointment, yet the Dowager Empress still obstinately defends this clear obstruction of the Assembly. Simply to keep these men on a tight leash, men who in part voted to free themselves from her nefarious influence! Men who wish to respond solely to themselves and their electors. All that merely because the Cortz, a house that doesn't have a comparable system, has voted against a law that solely affects the Assembly. Why did they do it? Because the Cortz and the appointed members are very similar. Voting for the act would almost be as if voting against oneself, so I applaud the courage of the Cortz members who did so. And now she wishes to prevent that from happening. No, Dowager Empress.
That the act isn't already active is solely because one man neglected his duties. A man who has happily carried out your wishes for a while, and a man who has faced substantial opposition during his entire term as Speaker. Of course, he only remained in place thanks to your grip on the appointed members, so he had no interest to act. Any Speaker who truly had the interests of the Assembly in mind would have decided that the law only affects our house, as it can arguably fit either under IV.a) or b) of the Inter-Parliamentary Relations Act. Torres preferred not to say anything as it was against his master's interests. For me as for the majority of Assemblymen, the law has already passed. Now that we are on the way of getting a competent Speaker, the Act merely needs confirmation by a true Speaker of the Assembly to be voted on only by our house.
Confirmation of the Appointment Replacement Act
As stated in the previous act, the next election will see all members of the Assembly being elected.

If the Cortz thinks it must meddle in the affairs of our house as they need their influence in the Assembly mediated by the appointed members, then it is the logical consequence that something similar is done for their house. I am firmly of the opinion that both houses are separate, but if it has to be that way, then the Cortz needs to mirror our situation! Or is that house the spoilt child, while we in the Assembly have to fight for our recognition every day anew?"
Cortz Election Act
One third of the current Cortz composition shall be added to that body, to be filled with elected representatives.

I disagree with the concept of handing the position of the Assembly's representative on the Cabinet to the largest party by default. What about the independents? What about an organized group of the smaller factions working together? This is an blatant move by the members of the Los Campos faction to secure the position of Speaker for themselves! Why else would one of their number suggest such an action! Members of the Assembly, our previous Speaker of the Assembly, Francesco Torres, was not the member of the largest faction, but through support of many factions, he was the closest to the voice of all of the Assembly. This suggestion would only serve to divide us as we prey upon another for seats rather than seek to compromise with another. And as such, this suggestion must be discarded.

As an Assemblyman, I move to succeed my fellow faction member as Speaker! Elected and Appointed, Independent and Faction, we must all unite as we did under Torres!

Again, laughter could be heard from the side of the Phoenixes, but this time while Giordano spoke of Torres' qualities. Cadiral, the former candidate of the faction for the Speaker, answered briefly and full of sarcasm.
"The spider in the upper left corner of the cabinet's room has raised its voice for the concerns of the Assembly more often than Torres! We need a real Speaker, and we share the Camponistas' view that Saint-Pierre is suited for that. Certainly not the member of the largest faction, for whoever is Speaker must represent a compromise - Torres never did. I would have spoken to the spider if there wasn't the Minister of the Interior in my faction. I know some independents who were looking for it. The unity of the Assembly is not mute and deaf!"

The Ministry of Colonial Affairs, after much debate, has decided on a recommended course of action with the Byzantine Revolution, outright, full, and immediate military intervention.

Faixòn's reaction to the revolution in Byzantium was to be expected. Some would hate him, others support him, as usual, and so he started without his voice in any way impacted by the gravity of the situation.
"Why are we still here? We have the solution for everything right under our noses. We should all go home. Trade disrupted? War. Land coveted? War. Revolutionaries with reasonable demands? War. Someone looking at a royal the wrong way? War. Your neighbour stealing your fruit? War. A merchant augmenting his prices? War. Someone opening his mouth in your presence? War. Someone existing? War! Is that who we are? Is that what we want to be?"
Faixòn dodges an imaginary bullet, then a sword stroke.
"What? Nothing? Thank God, I thought the universal solution would be applied to myself too. There is a revolution in Byzantium. An ancient state. A state that didn't react in any way when the first signs, even the first uprising took place. Our Greek brethren are equal to us. Or is your mandate", he points to the assemblyman from Athens, "worth less than mine? Yet Byzantine Greeks are still subject to oppression from centuries ago. If you were in their position, what would you do? You have tried everything to change. But each time, you were struck down. Time advances, yet for the Basileus, it almost receded. The Greeks were given no choice.
That doesn't answer the question of our possible intervention. Of course, the answer is not the universal solution. What would it mean if we intervened? That Hispania, beacon of tolerance and free thought, enforces antiquated ideals and therefore betrays itself. Paired with that blatant attempt of the Dowager Empress to slowly reassume full control of the Assembly, a first step to restoring pre-civil war Hispania. Why should any common man want that? We would have a revolution of our own. No, the revolution in Byzantium has to run its course. It is the Basileus' own fault, and he has lost his legitimacy, not only in the eyes of his people. You cannot stand in the flow of time too long without falling.

It is in that light that I see Duke Leon's proposal. The referendum is a good idea, but can of course only be held when Byzantium grants its citizens similar rights than Hispanians, or I could predict the certain outcome of such a referendum. We must certainly stand against Hispania's foes, but the revolutionaries aren't this foe. It is the ancient structures and these power grabs he is speaking of. The Greeks are wishing a modern state, which is what Hispania should support instead of fight.
As for the acts in question, I cannot see how a realm that is constructed of almost entirely opposed systems can thrive and not fall apart. It is a commendable initiative to follow the will of the people, but that will can best articulate itself. If the local minority doesn't wish to have these constitutional liberties, the best thing you can give them is these constitutional liberties. Do I sound paradox? Let me guarantee you, contrary to what the Imperials may say, I am not a crazy madman. If they have these liberties, the people may decide to appoint a dictator as their local governor and transfer their rights to that person. At the same time, the constitutional regions may decide if they need a governor or not. As your initial idea suggests - the will of the people should be respected. And that works best under a constitution."

If the Cortz thinks it must meddle in the affairs of our house as they need their influence in the Assembly mediated by the appointed members, then it is the logical consequence that something similar is done for their house. I am firmly of the opinion that both houses are separate, but if it has to be that way, then the Cortz needs to mirror our situation! Or is that house the spoilt child, while we in the Assembly have to fight for our recognition every day anew?"

"I have thought long and hard about the speeches in the assembly, and despite what follows in the speech I surprisingly find myself agreeing with their points on this matter. I should make clear that their law regarding the Cortz has no influence on me and this decision, for it would surly fail the Cortz if not the Assembly for its ridiculousness is clear to all. However, that being said it is difficult to decide what constitutes effecting the other house according to the law. We were certainly caught up with how it would effect voting, and therefore both houses. I will admit this may have been wrong. I will do what I can as Chamberlain to prevent the new Appointment Replacement Act from appearing in the Cortz, and if it appears in the Cortz regardless I will pledge to vote with the Assembly majority.

On to another matter.

Many of the laws being proposed in the assembly put the fear of God into me. Can you not see what this will do to Italy? To Hispania? The continuation of laws only promotes these secessionist movements. I fear that Hispanian territories will be torn from her one after another. Sedition from Byzantium is spreading fast and it is with a heavy heart that I believe we must condemn all forms of such talk, until the current crisis has passed. I know I will be condemned by many members of the Assembly and this fine institution as well. And it is certainly a harsh act that I put forth, but I believe that harsh action is necessary if we wish to prevent Hispania from falling into ruin.

The Protection of Hispania Act

I. All secessionist publications and groups are henceforth made illegal.
II. Anyone found in possession of secessionist propaganda shall be charged with no less than 1 year in prison.
III. Leaders of Secessionist groups or printers of secessionist material will be judged to be traitors to the Empire and hung.
IV. This law will be in effect until the emperor declares the Byzantium crisis over, or 5 years, whichever is shorter.

In addition, while I do not always agree with their policies, I believe that the Imperials have the best interests of the empire at heart, and like me are willing to do whatever it takes to keep it together. Therefore, I officially declare my support for the Imperial faction and should be considered a member of it henceforth. I encourage many of the friends I have in the Cortz to join me. This should not be considered a movement of policy, but one of solidarity. I encourage any member of either the Cortz or the Assembly to reach out to me with questions they may have."

Altair Spoleto, Chamberlain of the Cortz, Count of Cremona, Imperial.

Last edited:
"I have thought long and hard about the speeches in the assembly, and despite what follows in the speech I surprisingly find myself agreeing with their points on this matter. I should make clear that their law regarding the Cortz has no influence on me and this decision, for it would surly fail the Cortz if not the Assembly for its ridiculousness is clear to all. However, that being said it is difficult to decide what constitutes effecting the other house according to the law. We were certainly caught up with how it would effect voting, and therefore both houses. I will admit this may have been wrong. I will do what I can as Chamberlain to prevent the new Appointment Replacement Act from appearing in the Cortz, and if it appears in the Cortz regardless I will pledge to vote with the Assembly majority.

((Good luck becoming an Imperial with this. You might want to start looking for another faction :p.))