• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((The Court Chaplain is currently an NPC at the moment, so feel free to do whatever you want to join the Church, although keep in mind the CJC is just the other Christian faiths brought together so there isn't really an official way of joining.))

((Well whatever, Pausanias is now a pluralistic CJC-compliant Christian. Make of that what you will.))

((Well whatever, Pausanias is now a pluralistic CJC-compliant Christian. Make of that what you will.))
((So he wasn't before... I wonder what his Catholic-brethren will think of it. o_O ))

The war against Poland was over, and the Greeks had gotten what they wanted. Montségur wanted to make sure it was the last time. Then also, there had been great losses in Germany - whoever had chosen to ignore his orders and advance there would soon find himself without a head, for the coward was certainly under the released prisoners. More importantly though were the matters of the Council. He was deputy Prime Minister, and as such could make provisory appointments which he believed Saint-Pierre would keep. Some of them were crucial - like the Chancellor - others would be hard to find. He had to take action first. And certainly not appoint the Princess-Consort. Someone who would either share his views towards the Greeks, or... yes, that might be the better choice.

myKh8vJ.png

Your Imperial Majesty, I am most honoured to be taken into the Order of the Light. May Hispania drive out the darkness.
As deputy Prime Minister, I would make the following appointments:
- the Steward failed to act after my warning, so the advisor Bernat Franco shall take his place ((if possible))
- the vacant Court Chaplain seat shall be filled with archbishop Velazquez
- successor of the Grand Admiral would be myself for the time being
- as Chancellor and Viceroy Superior, I name Tomas V Luys Tomas Etxeto. I believe our colonies might prefer a man who hasn't been involved in court disputes, while the foreign policies might also benefit from someone who hasn't positioned himself on either side of said disputes.
And as Marshal, the strengthening of the various army shall continue, with similar expansions to the ones before made for the Exercits Provence, Africa, Madrid and Napoli.

Alexandre César de Montségur, deputy Prime Minister and Marshal of Hispania

"Your Imperial Highness, I am most honored to be inducted into the Order of the Light, as my ancestors were. May we together bring light to the darkness in the world!"

~Alejandro de Leon, Duque de Leon y Asturias

((Private))

Alejandro noticed a pamphlet tacked to a wall on one of the streets of Leon. It argued against the Hispanian monarchy itself, saying that the emperor was against the God-ordained order. Not only was the author a traitor, but he was also a heretic!

He took the pamphlet down at once, tearing off the name of the author for further reference. The court needed to know about this threat to the crown, however minor it was. Maybe after he did some research into the author he would tell the emperor himself. His supporters in the Reconquista were waiting for something to do after the Bartomeu and Sophia incidents were resolved. They might have just gotten an opportunity...

((private))
Velazquez realized that, while not a Cardinal, he had suddenly become Court Chaplain. Now he had the influence required to put a stop to this heretic Arceo. Therefore he went to the Court, and announced
((public))
"By the Grace of our Savior, Jesus Christ, I accuse Cibran Arceo of the crime of lese majeste for his manuscript titled the Gatekeeper, as well as wish an investigation upon his being an announced "Deist""

(Everyone expects...:cool:)

((private))
Velazquez realized that, while not a Cardinal, he had suddenly become Court Chaplain. Now he had the influence required to put a stop to this heretic Arceo. Therefore he went to the Court, and announced
((public))
"By the Grace of our Savior, Jesus Christ, I accuse Cibran Arceo of the crime of lese majeste for his manuscript titled the Gatekeeper, as well as wish an investigation upon his being an announced "Deist""

(Everyone expects...:cool:)

((Your appointment should still be confirmed by the acting PM, who knows, perhaps he'll find another candidate :rolleyes:.(I think not.) ))

Montségur contemplated the pamphlet. There were some right ideas contained in it, but of course the result was not exactly the right one. The natural order was that the strong ruled the weak. The strong. Those who forge a realm's destiny may not always be those who rule it... With Velazquez' accusations, it might be wise to support the man - risky, perhaps. But useful. He would await how the matter would further develop - and the reactions to his appointment of a notoriously absent Etxeto as Chancellor.

((Your appointment should still be confirmed by the acting PM, who knows, perhaps he'll find another candidate :rolleyes:.(I think not.) ).
((I forgot you were the deputy Prime Minister. <Old Man Voice>All these hooligans with their, separation of powers, just makes it confusing. Back in my day, it was simple. You were Prime Minister, or you weren't. Humph.</Old Man Voice>))

Your Imperial Majesty, I am most honoured to be taken into the Order of the Light. May Hispania drive out the darkness.
As deputy Prime Minister, I would make the following appointments:
- the Steward failed to act after my warning, so the advisor Bernat Franco shall take his place ((if possible))
- the vacant Court Chaplain seat shall be filled with archbishop Velazquez
- successor of the Grand Admiral would be myself for the time being
- as Chancellor and Viceroy Superior, I name Tomas V Luys Tomas Etxeto. I believe our colonies might prefer a man who hasn't been involved in court disputes, while the foreign policies might also benefit from someone who hasn't positioned himself on either side of said disputes.
And as Marshal, the strengthening of the various army shall continue, with similar expansions to the ones before made for the Exercits Provence, Africa, Madrid and Napoli.

Alexandre César de Montségur, deputy Prime Minister and Marshal of Hispania

((I suppose an existing NPC can be assigned the position. It'd just mean I'd just do the work for it, which is fine since I pretty much do that anyway. :p))

The Council of Churches wishes to remind the Deputy Prime Minister that it is the only body with the power to appoint the Court Chaplain and that the position must be filled by one of its members.

((Basically hirahammad can't become Court Chaplain yet because he's not on the Council of Churches. He'd need to be a cardinal first before he could be considered a member. Also, once he reaches that rank, he can just appoint himself since he's the only clergy. At least being the only clergy means he'll be a cardinal by the next update. :D))

~Alejandro de Leon, Duque de Leon y Asturias

((Have you been the duke this whole time? I thought you were always playing an unlanded relative since you always state that in the class description when you make a character. :p))

((public))

((Oops, missed this. Before an investigation can be called, it requires a second sponsor and the emperor's permission, although usually the religion of someone mentioned in their bio is public knowledge already. Although to be honest, I have no idea if Deist falls outside the category of Christianity.))

Last edited:
((I suppose an existing NPC can be assigned the position. It'd just mean I'd just do the work for it, which is fine since I pretty much do that anyway. :p))

The Council of Churches wishes to remind the Deputy Prime Minister that it is the only body with the power to appoint the Court Chaplain and that the position must be filled by one of its members.

((Basically hirahammad can't become Court Chaplain yet because he's not on the Council of Churches. He'd need to be a cardinal first before he could be considered a member. Also, once he reaches that rank, he can just appoint himself since he's the only clergy. At least being the only clergy means he'll be a cardinal by the next update. :D))

((Have you been the duke this whole time? I thought you were always playing an unlanded relative since you always state that in the class description when you make a character. :p))
((I've actually been using that in my signature for a while now, though I always am a general. I could just not use the signature in my next IC, because it doesn't affect me much I think.))

((I've actually been using that in my signature for a while now, though I always am a general. I could just not use the signature in my next IC, because it doesn't affect me much I think.))

((It's more that if you're the duke it means you've been missing out on the extra VP for being landed. I don't want to cheat you out of that! :p))

((It's more that if you're the duke it means you've been missing out on the extra VP for being landed. I don't want to cheat you out of that! :p))
((Maybe on my next character I'll play as landed, though I'll have to give up on being a general and getting glory in battle.))

((Oops, missed this. Before an investigation can be called, it requires a second sponsor and the emperor's permission, although usually the religion of someone mentioned in their bio is public knowledge already. Although to be honest, I have no idea if Deist falls outside the category of Christianity.))
((Deists believe God takes no part in human affairs, which would contradict the Biblical stories (at least that's how Velazquez sees it). And, since it is in the bio, I think the main thing is are Hispanians still tough enough to prosecute? Given the increase in atheists and whatnot, Velazquez would say it's time for a good purge.))

((Edit: And of course, has Arceo committed Treason? Velazquez thinks so.))

((Deists believe God takes no part in human affairs, which would contradict the Biblical stories (at least that's how Velazquez sees it). And, since it is in the bio, I think the main thing is are Hispanians still tough enough to prosecute? Given the increase in atheists and whatnot, Velazquez would say it's time for a good purge.))

((From Wiki: "Classical Deists themselves rarely wrote or accepted that the Creator is a non-interventionist during the flowering of Deism in the 16th and 17th centuries"))

((Maybe on my next character I'll play as landed, though I'll have to give up on being a general and getting glory in battle.))

((Well landed nobles can serve as generals, so it doesn't conflict.))

((The real question is whether Deism falls under the larger grouping of Christianity, which would decide whether it is considered heresy or part of the broader Church of Jesus Christ. Perhaps that is a matter to be discussed with the court....

I don't think we really have laws against speaking your mind or sharing ideas, even published ones, provided they don't overtly call for the overthrow of the Emperor or something like that. Hispania in general has been very humanist and encouraged new ideas. Perhaps another matter to be brought up to the court. ;)))

((Private))

The Council of Churches convened in Valencia to discuss a matter brought to their attention by the Archbishop of Granada. Deism had come to light after the publication of enlightenment-style article by a known Deist. Charged with determining which faiths were considered Christian and thus part of the Church of Jesus Christ, the Council now had to decide whether or not such a faith should receive their protection.

An elderly cardinal rose from his seat to begin the proceedings. "So shall we begin? Shall we formally recognize Deism as part of the Christian faith?"

"I do not see why this necessary," one Protestant said. "A Deist still worships God, therefore they are Christian."

"Yet they do not follow any one faith," a cardinal said. "They could follow all kinds of heretical practices."

"A Protestant follows different practices than a Catholic, yet we are all Christians here."

"Do we even know if these Deists follow the Christian God? Perhaps they're no better than the Muslims."

"As long as they recognize the Christian God, I could care less how they worship Him. It would be hypocritical for us all to dismiss such a faith when we all follow God in different ways."

"They must follow an organized faith or they're heretics!" a cardinal said, rising from his seat and slamming his hands on the table.

A middle-aged Protestant rose from his seat, glaring at the cardinal. "Well my faith was once considered heresy followed by disorganized groups, yet now we are all equals."

"Well that was clearly a mistake made by our predecessors."

"Are you calling me a heretic?"

"Well you're not Catholic, so what else could you be?"

"Why you!" The Protestant leaped over the table, tackling the cardinal. The entire room broke out into fistfights, eventually having to be broken up by guards. It was clear that they would not be reaching a decision soon.

((Public))

The Council of Churches is divided on the issues of Deism and wishes to consult His Imperial Majesty and his court on the matter. We encourage the discussion of whether Deism is a legitimate Christian faith or should be considered heresy.

((Well, then I'll just make myself landed then! Sorry for the confusion.))

((The real question is whether Deism falls under the larger grouping of Christianity, which would decide whether it is considered heresy or part of the broader Church of Jesus Christ. Perhaps that is a matter to be discussed with the court....

I don't think we really have laws against speaking your mind or sharing ideas, even published ones, provided they don't overtly call for the overthrow of the Emperor or something like that. Hispania in general has been very humanist and encouraged new ideas. Perhaps another matter to be brought up to the court. ;)))

((Private))

The Council of Churches convened in Valencia to discuss a matter brought to their attention by the Archbishop of Granada. Deism had come to light after the publication of enlightenment-style article by a known Deist. Charged with determining which faiths were considered Christian and thus part of the Church of Jesus Christ, the Council now had to decide whether or not such a faith should receive their protection.

An elderly cardinal rose from his seat to begin the proceedings. "So shall we begin? Shall we formally recognize Deism as part of the Christian faith?"

"I do not see why this necessary," one Protestant said. "A Deist still worships God, therefore they are Christian."

"Yet they do not follow any one faith," a cardinal said. "They could follow all kinds of heretical practices."

"A Protestant follows different practices than a Catholic, yet we are all Christians here."

"Do we even know if these Deists follow the Christian God? Perhaps they're no better than the Muslims."

"As long as they recognize the Christian God, I could care less how they worship Him. It would be hypocritical for us all to dismiss such a faith when we all follow God in different ways."

"They must follow an organized faith or they're heretics!" a cardinal said, rising from his seat and slamming his hands on the table.

A middle-aged Protestant rose from his seat, glaring at the cardinal. "Well my faith was once considered heresy followed by disorganized groups, yet now we are all equals."

"Well that was clearly a mistake made by our predecessors."

"Are you calling me a heretic?"

"Well you're not Catholic, so what else could you be?"

"Why you!" The Protestant leaped over the table, tackling the cardinal. The entire room broke out into fistfights, eventually having to be broken up by guards. It was clear that they would not be reaching a decision soon.

((Public))

The Council of Churches is divided on the issues of Deism and wishes to consult His Imperial Majesty and his court on the matter. We encourage the discussion of whether Deism is a legitimate Christian faith or should be considered heresy.

Sophia huffed as she heard the news about Etxeto. The Marshal would rather effectively have no Chancellor than her. No matter, she couldn't protest right now. But when the man failed to do anything, she would be there to condemn both him and his appointer.

And about the Deists. She rose to speak.

"Are these men even organized in there beliefs? Can we even judge them? We may be able to study the writings of their thinkers and judge them but the followers are not as easily judged."

Sophia huffed as she heard the news about Etxeto. The Marshal would rather effectively have no Chancellor than her. No matter, she couldn't protest right now. But when the man failed to do anything, she would be there to condemn both him and his appointer.

And about the Deists. She rose to speak.

"Are these men even organized in there beliefs? Can we even judge them? We may be able to study the writings of their thinkers and judge them but the followers are not as easily judged."
"I agree with Sophia," said Alejandro, "We must know who these men believe in before we can pass judgment on them. It is the only fair way that we, as Christians, can judge our fellow men."

((From Wiki: "Classical Deists themselves rarely wrote or accepted that the Creator is a non-interventionist during the flowering of Deism in the 16th and 17th centuries"))
((hirahammad is sorry for my misunderstanding:oops:. Velazquez is not :cool:.))
"I agree with Sophia," said Alejandro, "We must know who these men believe in before we can pass judgment on them. It is the only fair way that we, as Christians, can judge our fellow men."
The Archbishop said, "Very well. Then we must ask this Jibran Arceo what he believes, and why he speaks against the King."

Velazquez believed he had miscalculated, and that perhaps the heretic would get away free, leaving Velazquez with nothing to show but a bad reputation, but he decided to take the high risks. Alea iacta est.

((It has been too long since we had a Court Chaplain... :p))

The duke of Trinacria presents his opinion on Deism: 'Hispania is an empire that has come to adopt and to flourish under tolerance of all Christian beliefs. It is also a realm that actively encourages the development of new ideas through free thoughts. Deism may not be an established faith yet, but there is no doubt that it its adherents believe in the Lord. Hence, they are also Christians, and it has to be recognized by the Church of Jesus Christ just as Catholicism and Protestantism. Any prolonged discussion can only hurt our reputation, put fear into any religious minorities, and only damage the empire.'