• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enrique would be pleased if the chancellor could make him a diplomat, like his father ((as you may remember sancho was Grandmaster and diplomat at same time))

It has come to my attention that you seek to serve as a diplomat for our fair empire. Seeing as our diplomatic corps has been neglected as of late, I will gladly welcome you into its ranks. May you serve the Crown well.

- Crown Prince Jaume de Trastámara

Pausanias's face went blank when the Nobility of Hispania did not respond well to his words.

Many of you claim that we will reclaim Anatolia "someday". I must remark how vague you are being. Many in Byzantium do not want to wait for "someday" they want something definite. Perhaps if I could return back home with something definite, within five years or so, I will be able to convince them to wait. But if you continue to give me nothing but vague promises, I simply CANNOT be responsible, or even capable, of preventing anything.

((Third option: Ask for the war to be stopped for now in exchange for promising to start it at a later date, at the cost of Hispania's Honor))

((In the court discussion))
"It seems that some do not wish to pursue war with the Persians, as they think that doing so would result in the neglect of our other holdings. But, Hispania has more than 230,000 soldiers, ready at a moment's notice, the Byzantines having above 65,000. Compared to the Persian force of about 50,000, I believe it would require no significant investment to expand Byzantine land to the east. We could dispatch two armies, and along with the Byzantines, crush the Persian force.

Of course, what still remains is the matter of Pausanias Mandromenos."
turns to the Greek
"Honestly, I feel no love for you, Senor Mandromenos. I do not know you, and frankly, I do not believe you deserve your reputation."
to the court
"However, I still believe the Persians must be driven away. If we take control of this war, and initiate the battles ourselves, we can ensure the stability of the Palaiologos. While this may seem strange, I suggest Hispania pursue this war, with her subjects, but not with Senor Pausanias Mandromenos at the fore."

((With the TATC...Still thinking :D))

Alexis, hearing the new Burgundy-Ivrea-Orange heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head. 'As arrogant as his father...' He though before turning his attention to the de Montségur, clasping his hands together and stepping forward once more, a devilish smirk on his lips

"I would not put it better myself, Duke. The lands that this 'hero' seeks to reclaim were outside of Byzantine hands for centuries, and I highly doubt the people living there remember the days when the Romans ruled over them! Besides why would we, Hispanians, step out of our way to give even more land to the Greeks? After all the land we have returned to them was only gifted to them, because it seemed convenient at the time. We could've easily claimed the Balkans for ourselfs, but we decided to reinforce the Byzantine 'Empire', protect it. Why should we start to follow their orders? It is us who graciously returned the land, when we had the oportunity to claim it as out own. You are in no position to make any demands, general.

As for you monsieur... Shah, was it? Yes, you are right Hispania's army is vest, but do not forget that we have a vast empire to maintain. The Arabs can revolt any moment, discontent grows in the colonies and we seek to expand in Orient! We have to be ready to put down the possible rebellion in the New World, I'm sure the local elites already think of declaring independence, just like these... United States. We are also preparing to sieze the important province of Canton from the Ming empire, an empire that is vast and very wealthy. We simply are in no position to stretch out armies so thin. But how could you know that, you are but a simple general, young and inexperienced in politics."

With that Alexis once more cleared his throat and backed off into the shadowy corner from which he observed.

As for you monsieur... Shah, was it? Yes, you are right Hispania's army is vest, but do not forget that we have a vast empire to maintain. The Arabs can revolt any moment, discontent grows in the colonies and we seek to expand in Orient! We have to be ready to put down the possible rebellion in the New World, I'm sure the local elites already think of declaring independence, just like these... United States. We are also preparing to sieze the important province of Canton from the Ming empire, an empire that is vast and very wealthy. We simply are in no position to stretch out armies so thin. But how could you know that, you are but a simple general, young and inexperienced in politics."

With that Alexis once more cleared his throat and backed off into the shadowy corner from which he observed.

"The Arabs are to revolt? We station an army in the Levant. Nuevas Baleares and Nueva Granada discontent. We send an army there. Canton? Tell me, how many soldiers do we have ready to immediately attack China. The transportation of troops is a slow process. We must begin transportation of soldiers from our major bases, to Ceylon, and from there, the islands off Canton. In the meantime, we destroy Persia. What I fear is that we are overestimating the Persians. Perhaps we need only one army of Hispanians, along with the Byzantines, to destroy Persia. A short war, and small numbers, which will be a great gift to the Byzantines."

"The Arabs are to revolt? We station an army in the Levant. Nuevas Baleares and Nueva Granada discontent. We send an army there. Canton? Tell me, how many soldiers do we have ready to immediately attack China. The transportation of troops is a slow process. We must begin transportation of soldiers from our major bases, to Ceylon, and from there, the islands off Canton. In the meantime, we destroy Persia. What I fear is that we are overestimating the Persians. Perhaps we need only one army of Hispanians, along with the Byzantines, to destroy Persia. A short war, and small numbers, which will be a great gift to the Byzantines."

Alexis once more shook his head, letting out yet another sigh

"It is not only about the numbers, general. Did you consider the cost of the war? Cost of supplying all these men? Did you consider the cost of transporting men to Ceylon and then to China? Do you underestimate the power of the Chinese? Besides it's not only about the enemy, it's about letting the Greeks know that they're not allowed to do whatever they want! They have been influenced by us, and it shall remain so, and no 'hero' or dirty heathan as you will stop me from keeping it that way! You think you're so great after writing those books, do you? Well let me tell you something, general, you're nothing more but a pawn in the hands of those in the shadows. The Persians will be dealt with in time, but the time is not now. Now Hispania has more important things to do."

With that Alexis walked out of the room, slamming the door behind him, leaving his son behind to listen to the debate.

"Uh... Please excuse my father, he has been under a lot of stress the last past years, given his... Disagreements with the late Grandmaster, the council of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company acting more autonomously and few... Fights within our family. Oh, I also believe I never introduced myself..." The young Saint-Pierre chippered out before bowing "My name is Rémi Théodore, my father's only son, at your service."

We are also preparing to sieze the important province of Canton from the Ming empire, an empire that is vast and very wealthy.

At the mention of Canton, Jaume jumped to attention and facepalmed. How could he be so stupid as to forget Canton!

As the acting chancellor, I wish to amend my plan to include the possibility of claiming Canton. We shall wait to see how this rebellion turns out. If a new state revolts, we should attack it as soon as possible. If the rebellion is crushed, we should consider moving more troops into place and attacking Ming directly, ideally while Delhi still preoccupies them.

- Crown Prince Jaume de Trastámara

((Silly me forgetting such a key element as that. One free internet cookie to 05 for unintentionally jogging my memory. :D))

Alexis once more shook his head, letting out yet another sigh

"..
"Uh... Please excuse my father, he has been under a lot of stress the last past years, given his... Disagreements with the late Grandmaster, the council of the Trans-Atlantic Trading Company acting more autonomously and few... Fights within our family. Oh, I also believe I never introduced myself..." The young Saint-Pierre chippered out before bowing "My name is Rémi Théodore, my father's only son, at your service."

"I understand," Timur said to Rémi Théodore, "I feel that he has misunderstood some of my words, so I need not reply, though if other members of the court seek clarification, I am happy to oblige."

((TATC Council))

"I believe that merchants should act under their own volition. If a merchant chooses to sell x material, at say, Genoa, if he succeeds, he has made the right decision. If not, he leaves. In the end, all merchants end up selling what's needed where it is needed, without requiring external oversight. However, the government still must have some control. Embargoes must be stood by, and the merchants must pay taxes. If these merchants are combined, they no longer have incentive to give the best prices, and soon, prices can inflate so high, the entire economy suffers, and these merchants who think they are benefiting from high prices eventually are pulled down by a failing economy. Merchants must be guided by laws, but in the end, drive their own career."

Beginning to slip-A mad empress Part 1 ((Private, with whispers reaching @Michaelangelo and hints to @05060403 and @alscon ))
Some said it started when the Empress first sat on the throne, her husband by her side. Others felt it started when her power was lost , along with the life of Alfons, her dearest. Yet others felt it began when she lost her children, to illness or to pain. But regardless the cause, it was clear to see her former Majesty was not well, always looking beyond her years, a matter not noted before she came to Hispania's courts. It started simply at first, the old shout, from one usually so timid, the dropping of books in a usually firm grip.

But as time went by, many a servant would recount her Majesty would lock herself in her chambers, and rock to and through, babbling softly and affectionately, as one might do to a young child. However, if one were to question her Majesty of the matter,she would brush them off, and for a while seemed to return to her youthful glow, until the servant passed and hollowness overtook her empty heart. It took the death of her dearest children to make her first hairs fall out, but wigs were quick to resolve any, shall we say, malfunctions of appearance. But in time, her dresses, usually so fine, grew more and more worn.

All too many felt she would become bedbound, but a cold resistance permeated from the woman, a power that many shed from, a fact which only further collapsed Caterina's ideas of life and society, she would show them, she would. She loved all her subjects, even in this direst of states, with a fiery passion, she must show them this, she must, she reasoned ever deeply. But how, that was the question she now faced, as she retreated back to the solace and tranquillity that was her chamber, her tower, her castle, her city,,,, Her empire.

Last edited:
Reactions:
(( TATC council ))

"Hmm... Yes, your words seem very wise, thank you, now we have few more questions, though they're not as important as the one we are about to ask you." The head of the council spoke softly, gently stroking his beard "You see we heard the news about the savage act that was the looting of the city of Makkah, and we want to hear your opinion on it. We condemn it, for we wanted to befriend the local populations, bring some of our wealth there, develop the area even more, however with the recent burning we do not see it as a possibility. After all we highly doubt the population would happily greet Hispanians after what our barbaric soldiers did. And to think we indirectly supported it, funding those... Barbarians. So... You've heard our opinions, shared by most, yet not all..." The kind face of the council head suddenly became more menacing as it glared at the empty seats and then at the seat in which Timur was sitting in. Not Timur himself, but the seat, as if it was responsible for what happened.

((TATC))

Amazing, thought Timur, these men condemn the burning of Makkah. Perhaps, we could be friends.

Timur said, "Truly, that was a tragedy, which only hampered Hispania's efforts. It will not be an easy thing to make amends for the destruction of the center of their religion. The Yemeni, the Makkans, the Bedouin, Bahmanis, the vast majority of trade contacts, from Alexandria to the Malaccas, must be most severely offended. This stain may never wash off.

However, if we rebuild Makkah, grow it, there may be hope the looting is eventually overlooked. If we were to protect it, it would increase our reputation considerably. Yet, I fear the court would never allow such a thing. Perhaps fifty years ago, in the time of Niccola Limmona, and Petros Mandromenos." Timur sighed.

At another point in time, at the court.

Timur said, "I believe we should support the Pope of Frankfurt. It would solve all the suspicions of us influencing the Pope, and alleviate tensions between us and the Catholic world."

((I feel like I'm missing something... :confused:))

((Might as well have Sancho come later than never.
At TATC Meeting))
Sancho rushes through the door clearly exhausted.
"I'm sorry for being late-"
He notices the eldest council member glaring at his seat, which general Shah is sitting on.
"Oh boy, what did I do this time," Sancho asks with a hint of fear.

((TATC))

"Oh, greetings Senor Villanova. I was wondering when you would arrive."

((Just looked at the TATC page at the council-members. Now I get it. :D))

((TATC))
Sancho deciding that he didn't want to deal with the eldest councilor, he talked to the general.
"Hello general Shah, I was late because the trade winds flipped delaying me, I was supposed to be in the capital 2 weeks ago. How are you?"

((TATC))
Timur replied.

"I am well, thank you." He then turned expectantly towards the Council.

((@05060403 , we should wait a bit for @ML8991 ))

((Rename Salinas to Monterey. Because history. :p))