• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Space Exploration Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off

How's the space on your hard drive? Paradox wants to challenge your galaxy brain with a great selection of space exploration games - and they're all on sale for some very down-to-earth prices! The sale runs from May 4th until May 10th at 17:00 CEST / 08:00 PDT.

May 4th - May 10th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Robban204

Captain
32 Badges
Jun 8, 2014
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
Revoke Military Organization Act: Yes

Andrés de Alvaro, Duke of Sardinia
((Duke, funded colony))

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
I would like to see that no settled islands change hands, as already stated, but I do feel that among the unclaimed islands, it is better that they become French islands rather than colonized by other nations. I propose that of the unsettled islands, Hispania is allowed settle one for every two France claims, due to Hispania's already large presence in the area and respect to one of our closest allies. Also, I will be willing to accept French claims to other areas where Hispania has not already settled to a large degree, such as Louisiana or California and will be willing to defend these claims.

A mutual agreement that our two nations are the only ones permitted to own land in the Caribbean is suitable. We shall divide up the remaining islands between us as we see fit at a later date. Official recognition of our colonies in Louisiana would be most welcome, although we have no interest in California at this time. Perhaps we should discuss La Plata, for we have made a presence there recently as well, or even Africa. I shall consult my superiors immediately regarding a possible settlement.

Mach Twelve

The Insane Tyrant
54 Badges
Feb 3, 2015
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
A mutual agreement that our two nations are the only ones permitted to own land in the Caribbean is suitable. We shall divide up the remaining islands between us as we see fit at a later date. Official recognition of our colonies in Louisiana would be most welcome, although we have no interest in California at this time. Perhaps we should discuss La Plata, for we have made a presence there recently as well, or even Africa. I shall consult my superiors immediately regarding a possible settlement.

I agree, it would be pointless to resolve the Caribbean Issue amicably but have more conflict over over regions. I propose that we include all of our colonial presences in the New World to ensure an agreement that will satisfy both of our colonial ambitions. Perhaps we can even discuss the English Presence in the Eastern Coast of the northern continent. I believe the two areas are the Thirteen Colonies and Canada. Of course, the English will not be present, but I do wish to discuss any mutual action if they encroach on either of our lands.

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
((Private - a sneak peek at French court))

The French Chancellor approached the throne and gave a curt bow. "Your Majesty, I have word from Hispania."

"It's 'Your Imperial Highness'. We are emperor now, not a lowly king," Louis XVIII said with a scowl.

"I apologize, Your Imperial Highness," the Chancellor said, bowing his head meekly.

"So what do the Hispanians want?"

"I received word from our ambassador in Valencia and apparently negotiations were being conducted without his involvement. He requests clarification on the matter."

"We sent the Hispanians a potential settlement," Louis said. "This is a matter to be discussed between emperors, not diplomats."

The Chancellor cleared his throat. "In all respect, Your Imperial Highness, the ambassador is concerned that the settlement sent to the Hispanians has antagonized them and potentially damaged negotiations."

"Antagonized them?" Louis said. "All we have done is demand that which rightfully belongs to France. We were in the Caribbean long before they were. Did they expect us to recognize their ridiculous solution to Rome without compensation? We will not be locked out of the New World."

"Perhaps it would be wiser to seek a mutually beneficial agreement rather than demanding their colonies."

Louis rose from his throne, making the Chancellor cower. "Are we to let Hispania claim the entire New World and allow them to deny us our rightful empire? I set up those colonies in La Plata for a reason. We cannot allow them to claim an entire continent without contesting that."

"Your Imperial Highness," the Chancellor said, licking his lips, "they are our ally. I'm certain we can cooperate to ensure our two nations dominate the New World."

"And by dominate you mean Hispania takes nearly the whole thing and gives us but a sliver. That is not acceptable in the slightest."

The Chancellor seemed either ready to pull out his own hair or flee the room. "We cannot continue along this path. The nobles are worried that such disagreement with Hispania will foster hostility and damage our alliance."

"The nobles are fools. I... we are emperor. We know what is best." Emperor Louis sat back down on his throne, sitting up straight in a regal manner. "Now inform my ambassador that France will not back down unless we receive our proper place in the Caribbean."

"This is foolhardy--"

"Do not question me!" Louis shouted, making the Chancellor cower. "Now get out and do my bidding."

The Chancellor scurried from the room, but he was not the only one to leave. Unnoticed by either, Princess Marta de Trastámara, sister of Emperor Alfons VIII and wife to Louis de Valois, cousin of Emperor Louis XVIII, was listening in on the entire conversation. She left with all haste, knowing that she had to inform her brother of what she had overheard.

Emperor Alfons VIII read his sister's letter, a growing sense of alarm overcoming him. Was the French emperor mad? He would risk all trust between the two nations over some petty dispute in the Caribbean. This could not stand. However, Alfons could not risk escalating the conflict. Perhaps a delay tactic would work best. Hispania surely would not give in to such demands, but hostilities could be eased over time. Perhaps someone would talk some sense into Louis XVIII by then. He quickly drafted up a letter for the Prime Minister, who had taken over the bulk of the negotiations.

JpsioAG.png

I have received word from my sister in France that the initial demand regarding the cession of the Lesser Antilles to France was sent by Emperor Louis without the consultation of his diplomatic staff. It is quite likely that the French ambassador is working without proper instruction from his liege, and in fact the general mood at French court differs from that of the emperor. I suspect any negotiation we agree to here that may be suitable to the ambassador will be rejected by the French emperor. Delay a final settlement if you can. We will need to figure out another way to proceed due to this new obstacle.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons VIII de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

Mach Twelve

The Insane Tyrant
54 Badges
Feb 3, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
((Private - a sneak peek at French court))

The French Chancellor approached the throne and gave a curt bow. "Your Majesty, I have word from Hispania."

"It's 'Your Imperial Highness'. We are emperor now, not a lowly king," Louis XVIII said with a scowl.

"I apologize, Your Imperial Highness," the Chancellor said, bowing his head meekly.

"So what do the Hispanians want?"

"I received word from our ambassador in Valencia and apparently negotiations were being conducted without his involvement. He requests clarification on the matter."

"We sent the Hispanians a potential settlement," Louis said. "This is a matter to be discussed between emperors, not diplomats."

The Chancellor cleared his throat. "In all respect, Your Imperial Highness, the ambassador is concerned that the settlement sent to the Hispanians has antagonized them and potentially damaged negotiations."

"Antagonized them?" Louis said. "All we have done is demand that which rightfully belongs to France. We were in the Caribbean long before they were. Did they expect us to recognize their ridiculous solution to Rome without compensation? We will not be locked out of the New World."

"Perhaps it would be wiser to seek a mutually beneficial agreement rather than demanding their colonies."

Louis rose from his throne, making the Chancellor cower. "Are we to let Hispania claim the entire New World and allow them to deny us our rightful empire? I set up those colonies in La Plata for a reason. We cannot allow them to claim an entire continent without contesting that."

"Your Imperial Highness," the Chancellor said, licking his lips, "they are our ally. I'm certain we can cooperate to ensure our two nations dominate the New World."

"And by dominate you mean Hispania takes nearly the whole thing and gives us but a sliver. That is not acceptable in the slightest."

The Chancellor seemed either ready to pull out his own hair or flee the room. "We cannot continue along this path. The nobles are worried that such disagreement with Hispania will foster hostility and damage our alliance."

"The nobles are fools. I... we are emperor. We know what is best." Emperor Louis sat back down on his throne, sitting up straight in a regal manner. "Now inform my ambassador that France will not back down unless we receive our proper place in the Caribbean."

"This is foolhardy--"

"Do not question me!" Louis shouted, making the Chancellor cower. "Now get out and do my bidding."

The Chancellor scurried from the room, but he was not the only one to leave. Unnoticed by either, Princess Marta de Trastámara, sister of Emperor Alfons VIII and wife to Louis de Valois, cousin of Emperor Louis XVIII, was listening in on the entire conversation. She left with all haste, knowing that she had to inform her brother of what she had overheard.

Emperor Alfons VIII read his sister's letter, a growing sense of alarm overcoming him. Was the French emperor mad? He would risk all trust between the two nations over some petty dispute in the Caribbean. This could not stand. However, Alfons could not risk escalating the conflict. Perhaps a delay tactic would work best. Hispania surely would not give in to such demands, but hostilities could be eased over time. Perhaps someone would talk some sense into Louis XVIII by then. He quickly drafted up a letter for the Prime Minister, who had taken over the bulk of the negotiations.

JpsioAG.png

I have received word from my sister in France that the initial demand regarding the cession of the Lesser Antilles to France was sent by Emperor Louis without the consultation of his diplomatic staff. It is quite likely that the French ambassador is working without proper instruction from his liege, and in fact the general mood at French court differs from that of the emperor. I suspect any negotiation we agree to here that may be suitable to the ambassador will be rejected by the French emperor. Delay a final settlement if you can. We will need to figure out another way to proceed due to this new obstacle.

- His Imperial Highness, Alfons VIII de Trastámara, Emperor of Hispania, Caesar of Rome, & Protector of the Greeks

Petros sighed as he looked over the situation.

I'm getting too old for this. Why is it that the least capable to hold power are the ones to demand it? Blasted Frenchman, why does he not listen to his advisors? Does he not recognize their ally's greatness is in part due to the Trastamara's willingness to delegate?

He knew the Emperor's orders were too easy to do. And in the meantime, he could use his contacts in France to aid his cause. France still had a older form of government, one that had the nobility in a significant positions. As his time as Chancellor, he gained many contacts among the French nobility. Perhaps it was time to use them to put pressure on the French monarch.

As he sent his letters to his contacts in France, he turned to the orders from the Emperor, the TRUE Emperor.

Athens COA.png
Thank you for this information. I have already expanded our discussion to all of the New World to ensure that this affair will not be needed again in the near future. This expansion will take the time needed to settle the issue with the French Monarch. Also, I must ask, how did you like the newest volume of De Rebus Constitutionibus Civitatum? Both my grandson and myself eagerly like any critical opinion on this work.

Petros Mandromenos, The Prime Minister

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
I agree, it would be pointless to resolve the Caribbean Issue amicably but have more conflict over over regions. I propose that we include all of our colonial presences in the New World to ensure an agreement that will satisfy both of our colonial ambitions. Perhaps we can even discuss the English Presence in the Eastern Coast of the northern continent. I believe the two areas are the Thirteen Colonies and Canada. Of course, the English will not be present, but I do wish to discuss any mutual action if they encroach on either of our lands.

This seems like a reasonable approach. By recognizing existing colonies and claims, we can alleviate much tension between our two peoples. It might also be wise to designate specific regions that should be colonized by which power, although such agreements may be difficult to enforce and may better be left for another time.

As for the English, perhaps it would be wise to come to an agreement on how to handle them if they choose to expand. For now they have stuck to a part of the New World untouched by others, so they have not been an issue. That may not always be the case.

Petros sighed as he looked over the situation.

I'm getting too old for this. Why is it that the least capable to hold power are the ones to demand it? Blasted Frenchman, why does he not listen to his advisors? Does he not recognize their ally's greatness is in part due to the Trastamara's willingness to delegate?

He knew the Emperor's orders were too easy to do. And in the meantime, he could use his contacts in France to aid his cause. France still had a older form of government, one that had the nobility in a significant positions. As his time as Chancellor, he gained many contacts among the French nobility. Perhaps it was time to use them to put pressure on the French monarch.

As he sent his letters to his contacts in France, he turned to the orders from the Emperor, the TRUE Emperor.

Thank you for this information. I have already expanded our discussion to all of the New World to ensure that this affair will not be needed again in the near future. This expansion will take the time needed to settle the issue with the French Monarch. Also, I must ask, how did you like the newest volume of De Rebus Constitutionibus Civitatum? Both my grandson and myself eagerly like any critical opinion on this work.

Petros Mandromenos, The Prime Minister

JpsioAG.png

That is good to hear. I expect negotiations over the entire New World will take years of back and forth negotiations to reach a suitable settlement. Continue on then and hopefully the matter will be resolved or the French emperor will come to his senses.

I admit I have not had time to fully go over your work. Your description of your time as a diplomat and your opinion on foreign affairs was quite enlightening, especially with events as they are. Your suggestions of a constitutional state are intriguing, but I fear it would not be polite of me to critique them as the ruler of Hispania. Perhaps it is an issue that can be discussed amongst the court in time.

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2

((Mach Twelve requested I do a roll to see if he could use his contacts to get the nobles to convince the French emperor to change his mind. The outcomes were the emperor ignoring his nobles and them giving up, the emperor ignoring his nobles but them being very discontent about it, or the emperor giving in to his nobles. The second one happened.))

Word reaches Hispania of continued dissent in France. Many nobles have become outspoken about the recent actions of their emperor as he continues to act without their consultation, a disruption of their traditional feudal government. The French emperor either has chosen to ignore the discontent of his nobility or is oblivious of its existence. The situation in Frances grows more tense, although they have yet to impact negotiations between Hispania and France.

Mach Twelve

The Insane Tyrant
54 Badges
Feb 3, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
I would like a list of uninhabited islands in the Caribbean that you would consider to be a equitable exchange. Also I would like to approve the addition of France's right to Lousiana to the treaty

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
I would like a list of uninhabited islands in the Caribbean that you would consider to be a equitable exchange. Also I would like to approve the addition of France's right to Lousiana to the treaty

I was thinking more towards recognizing which larger regions of the world would be restricted to each of our nations. Perhaps free colonization of the rest of the Caribbean by France and Hispania would be preferable.

I am glad that the resolution involving Louisana is acceptable. I believe recognition of Hispania's colonies in turn could be managed.

Colonel
52 Badges
Jul 15, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
Dear Marshal de Montségur,
I wish to present my reforms which I have discussed with you earlier.

First off I think we should standardize the equipment our armies use. This would include the firearms and uniforms for our infantry and our artillery, all of which are to be decided on a later date.

Second I think we need to re-orginize our chain of command and the military organization. I propose we use a system like this:
The biggest formation would be a field army. Those would be lead by Captain Generals and Lieutenant Generals. I also think we should consider creation of two Field Marshal postions. One always filled by the current Marshal of Hispania, the second one being an assistant of the first one. The field marshals would coordinate several field armies. A field army would count about 30,000 men, both armed, the commanding staff, supply units and communication corps.
The second biggest formation would be a division, counting roughly 10,000 men. Those would be led by Sergeant Major Generals.
Then we would have a brigade, counting about 5000 men, commanded by a Brigadier.
Lower in chain we would have regiments, counting 900 armed men and 100 of support and command units. The officer leading a regiment would be considered a Colonel.
Going even lower in the oraganization we would have a battalion, about 450 soldiers under the command of a Major.
Next would be a Company, 150 soldiers taking orders from a Captain.
Then we would have a platoon, conting 50 soldiers being led by a Lieutenant.
Then the last formation would be a squad of 10 men, being commanded by a Sergeant.
The last part of this chain would be a single soldier, or as we would refer to him by his ranks, Private.

I also think we should build a military academy where the lower class citizens could recieve a proper education to fulfil the roles of soldiers and petty officers, while nobles and the higher class citizens would be prepared to fill in the ranks of commanding officers, but not higher than a brigadier. I believe that our leaders should prove themselfs in combat to be granted the rank of a Seargant Major General. However I think that we should force them to serve as Colonels first, meaning the highest rank nobles and the rich commoners could earn in the academy would be Colonel.

We should also consider forcing the nobles to provide a certain amount of men capable to fight each year as draftees to the academy. The peasants could volunteer, but it would be up to the noble to either let them serve or force other to join the army, as long as they would fulfil the quota. I do think it might cause a bit of unrest, however I believe this will only benefit our nation in the long run.

I also think we should adjust our armies to the new organization, forming 3 field armies couting 33,000 men and 1 field army counting 32,000 men while keeping the colonial army to 20,000 men. This however would take a lot of time and I do not think it has the priority.

Ad Victoriam,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre,
Count of Roussillon, General of Hispania

alscon

Magister Inquisitiones
75 Badges
Feb 28, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Pillars of Eternity
The reforms are all looking sound. The matter of weaponry standardization can certainly help, especially with the artillery. My memories from the Tuscan-Savoyard war are sometimes returning, and handling all these different pieces was a real pain, one that could be avoided through this measure.
The reorganized chain of command looks like the one that has been in use for a while with some fine changes, just what we were looking for to replace the act of 1519 with.
The academy... well, there is no better place to learn than on the battlefield. But one is dead before one learns enough if one doesn't know the basics. Where are the good old days when each noble learned these from his father? Now they prefer to read books or spend their time at useless banquets or whatever... They need such an academy, I fear. And for the commoners, if they want to end up as glorified cannon fodder while paying for it themselves, why not? One or two capable minds might make it through the ranks alive.
Forced drafting might be necessary as the casualties in the wars are rising. Hispania needs the men to replace the losses of the campaigns, and rarely the peasant comes and volunteers. Most of that scum needs to be forced to volunteer for Hispania's glory, which may already be in use, but coupled with the academy that might help to avert a situation as in Italy.
The adjustment of the armies shouldn't be necessary. In war, the armies are cooperating in sizes as you have suggested, and after the battle, the troops can easily split to lay siege if there are already two separate armies ready. Two are more manoeuverable than one, and as long as the cooperation functions, as it did for a long time and will continue to do, it would be more complicated to have one army instead.
With these changes, I feel that the reforms are ready to be implemented. They shall find themselves in my plans as Marshal and in a new act to replace the one of 1519.

Our enemies will end up crushed.
Gen. Louis François de Montségur, Marshal of Hispania, Duke of Trinacria, Chamberlain of the Cortz

Colonel
52 Badges
Jul 15, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
Very well. I would just humbly ask to get some kind of recognition for work put into the reforms. And as I have mentioned the adjustment is not very important at the moment and there's no need to implement it right away.

Ad Victoriam,
Gaston Jacques de Saint-Pierre,
Count of Roussillon, General of Hispania

Mach Twelve

The Insane Tyrant
54 Badges
Feb 3, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
I was thinking more towards recognizing which larger regions of the world would be restricted to each of our nations. Perhaps free colonization of the rest of the Caribbean by France and Hispania would be preferable.

I am glad that the resolution involving Louisana is acceptable. I believe recognition of Hispania's colonies in turn could be managed.

@alscon

Free colonization of the Caribbean is acceptable, as is the declaration of Louisiana to be French Lands.

And before we continue on which country receives the rights to which region, I would like to declare our mutual protection pact against the English, or any other colonizer. In short, if any territory we declare to be belonging to uniquely one nation, both of us will declare war to see these lands returned to their proper owner.

To Marshal Montsegur,

I had heard from my son about reforms in the Army. Might I ask how they are proceeding? I consider it part of my duties as Prime Minister to be knowledgeable about the men who protected our lands time and again, among other things.

Petros Mandromenos.

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
Free colonization of the Caribbean is acceptable, as is the declaration of Louisiana to be French Lands.

And before we continue on which country receives the rights to which region, I would like to declare our mutual protection pact against the English, or any other colonizer. In short, if any territory we declare to be belonging to uniquely one nation, both of us will declare war to see these lands returned to their proper owner.

Very well, we shall formally make free colonization of the Caribbean part of the settlement, as well as the recognition of French claims to Louisiana. As for this mutual protection pact, it should be better defined. I believe it should only extend to lands officially recognized as belonging to either France or Hispania by both parties, and should only come into effect if another power interferes on a major scale. It will be most difficult to enforce based on the sheer size of the Americas and I do not believe my liege would want France committed to war every time some minor power settles anywhere near one of our established colonies. It is likely any such agreement will take much debate to work out.

Mach Twelve

The Insane Tyrant
54 Badges
Feb 3, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
Very well, we shall formally make free colonization of the Caribbean part of the settlement, as well as the recognition of French claims to Louisiana. As for this mutual protection pact, it should be better defined. I believe it should only extend to lands officially recognized as belonging to either France or Hispania by both parties, and should only come into effect if another power interferes on a major scale. It will be most difficult to enforce based on the sheer size of the Americas and I do not believe my liege would want France committed to war every time some minor power settles anywhere near one of our established colonies. It is likely any such agreement will take much debate to work out.

Perhaps it is for the best if we declare this pact to be only against England. That is certainly no minor power. Also, I want to reiterate, this pact only concerns the lands that are exclusively one nations, like Louisiana.

While I am on this topic, I would like Peru to be exclusively Hispanian in the treaty. The lands of Peru were under the dominion of Cusco, who willingly intergrated with our Empire recently. It is unlikely that they would accept another master, so it is for the best that it is declared to be our lands.

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
Perhaps it is for the best if we declare this pact to be only against England. That is certainly no minor power. Also, I want to reiterate, this pact only concerns the lands that are exclusively one nations, like Louisiana.

While I am on this topic, I would like Peru to be exclusively Hispanian in the treaty. The lands of Peru were under the dominion of Cusco, who willingly intergrated with our Empire recently. It is unlikely that they would accept another master, so it is for the best that it is declared to be our lands.

Very well. We shall make the pact only applicable to England, and only for a major incursion. Louisiana shall be recognized as French, and I see little reason not to recognize Peru as Hispanian. This shall be added to the free colonization of the Caribbean by our two nations.

I'm afraid that I have been recalled to France. I shall present these conditions to His Imperial Highness, Louis XVIII, and see if he approves.

((The vote is over, and the outcome is unanimous.

Revoke Military Organization Act: Yes

I'll start working on the update once I finish up a few things. I expect the next turn to be very busy based on certain things likely to happen in the update. ;)))

hirahammad

Major
5 Badges
Apr 7, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris Sign-up
((I will be off the iAAR grid for a while, so if anyone wants to murder Almaden with a hundred percent success rate, now's your chance. If no one takes up the offer, Almaden will fall off a horse next update.))

Reactions:

Michaelangelo

Archaeopteryx
136 Badges
Feb 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
((I will be off the iAAR grid for a while, so if anyone wants to murder Almaden with a hundred percent success rate, now's your chance. If no one takes up the offer, Almaden will fall off a horse next update.))

((I'm going to assume this means you're resigning from your position as chancellor after the update. Wouldn't do to have our chancellor disappear on us. :D))

alscon

Magister Inquisitiones
75 Badges
Feb 28, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Pillars of Eternity

((Well, if you want to get murdered... My char doesn't want to murder you over the papal matter, but there might be some thugs who want to impress the marshal. If nobody takes your offer, you can have some guys disguised as Swiss Guards disposing of Almaden instead of falling off a horse :rolleyes:. Of course without any involvement of Louis.))

Montségur read the letters of St-Pierre and the Prime Minister and decided to present the reform to the court. For that purpose, he sent a messenger, carrying the reform with the Trinacrian seal and a note at the end, stating that it had been elaborated by Hispania's Marshal and most trusted generals. He had troops to prepare for war, and it wasn't getting any easier with each year going by.

myKh8vJ.png

The formal chain of command and military organization will be updated to the current model:
The biggest formation is a field army, led by Captain Generals and Lieutenant Generals, and supervised and coordinated by two Field Marshals: One being the current Marshal of Hispania, the second one being his assistant. A field army counts about 30,000 men, both armed, the commanding staff, supply units and communication corps.
The second biggest formation is a division, counting roughly 10,000 men and led by a Sergeant Major General.
Then we have a brigade, counting about 5000 men, commanded by a Brigadier.
Lower in chain there are regiments, counting 900 armed men and 100 support and command units. The officer leading a regiment is a Colonel.
Going even lower in the organization we have a battalion, about 450 soldiers under the command of a Major.
Next there is the Company, 150 soldiers taking orders from a Captain.
Then comes the platoon, counting 50 soldiers, led by a Lieutenant.
The final formation is the squad, 10 men commanded by a Sergeant.
The last part of this chain is the single soldier, or Private.

Military academies shall be instituted within the empire, where the citizens receive a proper education to fulfil the roles of soldiers and petty officers, their basic equipment provided by the academy, while nobles and promising recruits are prepared to fill in the ranks of commanding officers. Leaders have to prove themselves in combat to attain a higher rank than Colonel.

The nobles shall provide a certain amount of men capable to fight each year as draftees to the academies. The peasants could volunteer, but it would be up to the noble to either let them serve or force other to join the army, as long as they would fulfil the quota.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Mach Twelve

The Insane Tyrant
54 Badges
Feb 3, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
Petros sighed as he reviewed the Marshal's reform. Petros wished for more, but it was a start.

As for reforms, Petros had another thing he could do, write the last volume De Rebus Constitutionibus Civitatum. He started to write as he sat by the fire. The next few years would be busy, and Petros was getting too old for this.