• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((To Benjamin von Alps))
The Grandmaster of Hispania opposes everything you do and plan to do. I wish you to know that I do neither like you nor respect you. I heard you smell like rotten fish.

~ José Fulminante, Grandmaster and Royal Merchant of Hispania

Juan was pondering. The inquisition was called again, effectively squashing any insurgency of religion in the country. He hoped that they would keep to their calm methods, for the Lord knows that it would be dangerous if they returned to the barbaric process that was thwarted after the fall of Velazquez. But he had heard some words, and he felt a direct obligation, a calling reaching deep into his soul, that he should contact his king, and so he picked up his quill and commenced his writing.

My King,
I am most elated that you have been recognized, as you should have been for some time now, as the true successor to the empire of Rome, I hope that you will allow me to perform the ceremony when you feel ready to accept this great mantle. Another point good king, I am most sorry for my lack of diligence in presenting plans to how we should apporoach of religious policy, with such stability, until recently, I saw little need to create one. I hope that you may forgive me for this, and my failure to procure a new Treasurer for the realm. In other news, it saddens my heart that my brother, Duke Michael, has passed from this world, I hope you can accept his eldest, Alejandro, to be his true successor and to allow him the provisions you have so kindly bestowed upon your other faithfully dukes.
May the Lord bless thee child,
and may you forever recall that I am ever here should you need me,
Cardinal Juan II de Soneta, Prime Minister and Court Chaplin of the Realm of Aragon, Cardinal of Hispania, Archbishop of Zaragoza and Bishop of the North

myKh8vJ.png

Your Imperial Majesty,

The war in South America was long and necessary, with our pledge to protect honoured and the region pacified. I am sure the colonials will be relieved that the Tupinamba aren't a threat any longer as well. But the diplomatic situation has changed quite significantly in Europe; not only internally, with the Portuguese seeking independence from Hispania again. The Mamluks have been alerted by some former subjects of the Knights of my previous plan, and have likely prepared themselves. The people of Mentese might want to repel the infidels further, but that will have to wait, for there is a more pressing matter at hand.
First, I want to adress the Italian situation. It is good to see that Savoy gave in to our demands, but they will not do so again. Why should anyone accept an ultimatum that guarantees peace when the party setting the ultimatum sets a new one? No, the Savoyard coast will have to wait. Still, I do think that we shall issue an ultimatum to Genoa, one that I am certain they will accept. Hispania shall ask for Hamid to be transferred to Byzantine rule. An isolated Genoese province with no access to the sea and a Turkish population, the Italians will not want to fight for it if they are reasonable, and it is better in Greek hands than in Mamluk ones.
The matter that changes my plan is the Venetian war. The Venetians are contesting Hispania's dominance in the Eastern Mediterranean, and are at war with our Austrian ally. While we cannot immediately get involved on Hungary's side, we can still intervene in Austria's favour. I would issue an ultimatum to the Venetians to retreat from Greece or face an Hispanian attack. We would help our Austrian ally, be able to weaken Venice further and restore the entirety of Greece to Byzantine rule.
I do not believe that Venice will accept these demands, as they are fairly substantial, so Hispania should prepare for war. This conflict only delays the attack on the Mamluks though. In order to further prepare for it, I suggest to improve relations with Georgia, so that our troops might land there and attack from two fronts. Maybe the Georgians can make an ally as well if their looming defeat against the hordes doesn't weaken them too much.
I will also think about how best to achieve our goal of gaining a presence in the Spice Islands - may I ask where Your Imperial Highness wants to set the priority? On the Mamluks or on Pasai? In any case, we shall declare our interest on the targetted regions - the Mamluks know about our intentions, and Pasai will never hear of it, but it might deter other European forces to attack first.
The answer has time enough to be thoroughly thought out, as I doubt that the Venetian war will be over as fast as one would hope. This concludes my plan for the Chancellory. I am certain that your coronation will be a magnificient ceremony.

Your humble subject,
Denis Vincent de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Chancellor of Hispania

JpsioAG.png

Both the Spice Islands and the Mamluks are important to our empire, with the former a great addition to our colonial empire and the latter a growing heathen threat. If I were to choose, I would place priority on the Mamluks. They threaten our possessions in the eastern Mediterranean, and even worse, threaten the Greeks we protect. We have sat by for too long, allowing them to expand without interference. If we wait any longer, soon they'll be rampaging through Iberia as the Muslims of old did.

- His Majesty, Pere V de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks

I downloaded the savefiles numbered 42 and 43.
Are the previous one stiil available? If yes, from where is it possible to get them?
Thanks

((The list of save files can be found here. I don't bother to provide a link to it since the latest save file is usually the only one that is relevant, seeing as the save file is there for people to make minister plans.))

Your Majesty,

I have just recently returned to Africa from the region they call Cathay, supposedly the first to do so since Marco Polo. I have brought some of the riches of the region, among them something they call "chá" in the north and "tè" in the south. Before this, to the east of the Great Ming I found the Japanese Archipelago. The landmass they call Asia truly is a land of wonders.

I shall be heading north to Valencia posthaste.

With regards,

RJL

JpsioAG.png

Word of your discoveries have reached Valencia and I am indeed impressed. The explorers of Hispania continue to find such great wonders. I will ensure that your ships are properly outfitted and supplied so that you may continue to chart the Asian waters. Who knows what other wonders are out there, just waiting to be discovered.

- His Majesty, Pere V de Trastámara, King of Hispania and Protector of the Greeks

Juan was pondering. The inquisition was called again, effectively squashing any insurgency of religion in the country. He hoped that they would keep to their calm methods, for the Lord knows that it would be dangerous if they returned to the barbaric process that was thwarted after the fall of Velazquez. But he had heard some words, and he felt a direct obligation, a calling reaching deep into his soul, that he should contact his king, and so he picked up his quill and commenced his writing.

My King,
I am most elated that you have been recognized, as you should have been for some time now, as the true successor to the empire of Rome, I hope that you will allow me to perform the ceremony when you feel ready to accept this great mantle. Another point good king, I am most sorry for my lack of diligence in presenting plans to how we should apporoach of religious policy, with such stability, until recently, I saw little need to create one. I hope that you may forgive me for this, and my failure to procure a new Treasurer for the realm. In other news, it saddens my heart that my brother, Duke Michael, has passed from this world, I hope you can accept his eldest, Alejandro, to be his true successor and to allow him the provisions you have so kindly bestowed upon your other faithfully dukes.
May the Lord bless thee child,
and may you forever recall that I am ever here should you need me,
Cardinal Juan II de Soneta, Prime Minister and Court Chaplin of the Realm of Aragon, Cardinal of Hispania, Archbishop of Zaragoza and Bishop of the North

JpsioAG.png

I would be honoured for you to perform the coronation. It would be a good sign of relaxing tension with the Holy See. And do not worry about not being entirely diligent in your duties. You have many positions to fill, and of course your duties as cardinal cannot be ignored for the sake of your flock. I also send my condolences for the loss of your brother. May his heir rule over his duchy as well as his predecessor.

Dear Marshal de Leon,

I write to ask you to allow me to take up a position as a general in the King's Imperial Army. While my father was a trader, I have studied the art of war and I believe I am suitable to lead an army into battle against our enemies, if need be.

Sincerely,
Almudena Hashem

Dear Marshal de Leon,

I write to ask you to allow me to take up a position as a general in the King's Imperial Army. While my father was a trader, I have studied the art of war and I believe I am suitable to lead an army into battle against our enemies, if need be.

Sincerely,
Almudena Hashem
Dear Almudena Hashem,

Your request shall be granted. I hope you do well in the battles to come and bring much glory to Hispania!

Regards,
Hernando Francisco de Leon, Marshal of the Realm

Dear Marshal de Leon,

Sincerely,
Almudena Hashem

((Since zenphoenix granted your request to become a general, I just need a stat focus and I'll add you to the game.))

((To Benjamin von Alps))
The Grandmaster of Hispania opposes everything you do and plan to do. I wish you to know that I do neither like you nor respect you. I heard you smell like rotten fish.

to José Fulminante,
I dislike the tone of your letter and would like to know why you oppose everything I "do and plan to do",i have never done anything against you
Benjamin von Alps

José had received another letter from Benjamin of Alps who had been appointed as Count of Barcelona by the Crown much to his displeasure. The letter had a bad smell, or was he imagining that because of all his hate for the count? Time to send him a reply.

((To Benjamin von Alps))
I am not surprised that you do not understand why I won't support you. Drink less and maybe what is left of your miserable brain can be saved.

JpsioAG.png

With my coronation so close, it is a sign of great changes in Hispania. It has made me reflect on our past actions and the regrets we may have. Most of us are pious Catholics, but we have also been men who have worked towards cooperation with our religious brethren, those who sought to escape the grasp of the Church. While attempts to coerce them back with violence has failed, more temperate actions have proved far more successful. No longer do the people fear the Church in Hispania, a truly wondrous occasion. However, this also brings to attention the tense relations with the Church in Rome. My father in his righteous anger at being excommunicated split this country from the Church, placing himself above the Pope. While perhaps appropriate at the time, I feel that it will only harm the faith if we continue to allow this rift to exist. Perhaps it is time to mend our relations with the Church. I wish to know what the court thinks on this matter.

((Not much to vote on, so I decided to bring the idea of revoking the Statute in Restraint of Appeals to the forefront. Dabbling in papal politics is very difficult with it enacted and makes being a Catholic fairly pointless. We'll also vote on whether to dismantle the fort in Rhodes, seeing as it seems unlikely that the island will be in danger or harm us much if it is. Here is the vote:

Revoke Statute in Restraint of Appeals: Yes/No/Abstain
Dismantle Rhodes's Fort: Yes/No/Abstain

Everyone has until Sunday at 12PM PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class. I'll be writing some IC for the coronation soon. @ML8991 if you want to write part of the IC since you're going to be crowning Pere, just tell me, otherwise I'll just go ahead and write the bit myself. No pressure to do it though. Probably should figure out all of Pere's titles first. :p))

Hispania had passed with a great majority José's proposed Trade Act which gave him the power to make necessary modernisations in the Mediterranean to the trade infrastructure. These are increase the increase profits further. So far, everything José had done paid off for Hispania.
He also decided to not order any new trade ships for the moment. Hispania's trade fleet was large enough and he was hoping that the Grand Admiral would place an order of powerful carracks to protect the merchant fleet. Sure, the trade ships were armed but they only carried a few cannons on board. Carracks on the other hand could put up a tough fight. He was convinced that Hispania could only succeed as a trading power if the navy would protect the merchants' interests through military force.

((Grand Master's Plan
  1. Build a market place in all possible provinces in the Genoa trade node. Once we can build trade depots, build trade depots instead of market places.
  2. Upgrade all existing market places to trade depots once we have the technology to do so. Prioritise provinces in the Genoa trade node first.
  3. Do not build any additional light ships for the moment. Assign the lightships that we got from the Knights to patrol in Alexandria.))

Revoke Statute in Restraint of Appeals: No
If we yoke ourselves to the bureaucracy of Rome, we risk wicked men gaining power, the type of men who stood in the way of progress and nearly brought the Kingdom to civil war.

Dismantle Rhodes's Fort: Yes
There is no reason to fortify a small island far east.

((Almudena Hashem, courtier, general))

If we allow the bureaucrats in Rome to dictate our religious policies, we might risk a civil war again.

Felipé de Alvaro, Count of Sassari
[Landed Noble, diplomat, founded colony]

Last edited:
((@Robban204 Of course :p. Consider yourself appointed.))

myKh8vJ.png

Your Majesty,

As You wish, I will prioritize the Mamluks in my next plan. I will try to prepare this long-planned war with my utmost care. While I of course am in no position to give any advice on how to deal with your* Montségur pauses, mumbling a merely audible 'corrupt'* Church, I can only advise you not to revoke Your brave father's act of separation. All that this would serve would be to place Hispania back under Papal domination, probably leading to a similar outcome of the inquisition with its murderous brutality. Not to speak of the loss of face that Hispania would suffer towards the world, bending to the Pope shortly after breaking away. As for the knights' fort, it is merely a reminder of the times of heroic chivalry of the order in service to the Christians, but no longer serves a military purpose. Dismantling the fortifications would save the crown the cost of upkeep.

Your humble servant,
Denis Vincent de Montségur, Duke of Trinacria and Chancellor of Hispania

((Revoke Statute in Restraint of Appeals: No

[Duke, Chancellor, diplomat, funded colony]))

I would like your support to remove José Fulminante as grandmaster and royal merchant i believe its time someone new became grandmaster his politics and beliefs are stagnating progress and we new a grandmaster and royal merchant who is willing to promote new things
Benjamin von Alps

im currently looking for support to remove José Fulminante as grandmaster and royal merchant and would appreciate your support its time someone else have a chance to be grandmaster and royal merchant
Benjamin von Alps

((so long as you can find a time over the weekend mike, I am more than happy to do a joint IC for the coronation.Titles are my speciality, so I am sure I can officiate that fine, but I do have to recall something. You technically are recognized as king of only one state, that being Aragon, but in Spanish tradition especially, you get titles for every principality you own, so I will be sure to crown you for a formal unification of the Iberian peninsula also, as this fact hasn't really been officiated by ceremony, if I recall. So in the ceremony I will be anointing Pere V Trastamára formally as king over all the empires- perhaps you or I could decide a name for the empire that is fancy, kingdoms, principalities etc... that you hold vestement to. Hope we can get it to beat the great title holder that is Charles V Hapsburg, tally ho, and speak to you more when I see you on the IRC))

Juan was most anticipant, soon to crown the elevated Pere V, what a position. It was a shame the papacy had slipped from his grasp, or at least it seemed it would, but he had been the rock of a strong and stable Hispania, he had insured a beacon of both reform and adroit Catholicism remained at the heart of the policies of Hispania. Once he found time, and if his king could bid it, he could instate who he wanted in his blank position, but for now it must wait. With the vote called, Juan diligently presented his vote, as he had for the last 50 or so years.

Voting of Juan II de Soneta

Revoke Statute of Restraint of Appeals Act: No

Dismantle the fort of Rhodes: Yes

Reactions:
im currently looking for support to remove José Fulminante as grandmaster and royal merchant and would appreciate your support its time someone else have a chance to be grandmaster and royal merchant
Benjamin von Alps

JpsioAG.png

I see no reason to fire our grandmaster. Since his appointment, money has been flowing into the treasury and trade has become one of our greatest sources of income. I cannot speak for the prime minister though, for he may think differently. For now I shall not move against José Fulminante unless Prime Minister Juan II de Soneta feels the need to replace him.

Reactions: