• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alfons scaled along the wall, trying his best not to lose his grip. He was up on the third storey of the palace and the fall would be quite painful. Still, he had to find the traitors. Ferran may have left for Northern Italy, but that didn't mean his allies had left court. Of particular interest was Erik Inge, Ferran's childhood friend. Alfons finally shifted far enough along the wall to reach the balcony to the Norwegian's room. He'd find out what the man was hiding soon enough. He climbed over the balcony railing and crept towards the door. He carefully pulled the door open and peaked inside. He could hear someone moving around inside, perhaps Erik or one of his thugs. Alfons would have to be extra careful.

Alfons crept over to a nearby table. There were documents and letters scattered on it, as well as some colourful trinkets and what looked like a jewellery box. Why the man had such a thing was unknown. Perhaps he had a secret lover. How scandalous. He started rifling through the papers, missing the sound of dainty footsteps until it was too late.

A piercing scream startled Alfons and he turned to find naked woman behind him. She quickly grabbed a nearby robe and covered herself, followed by a hand mirror that she then tossed at Alfons. He ducked aside as the mirror smashed against the wall where his head was. "Get out of here, you pervert!" she screamed. A man entered the room behind her, who Alfons recognized as Leonardo de Abruzzi, his face red with rage.

"Wrong room," Alfons said as he rushed out onto the balcony. He looked behind him to see if Abruzzi was chasing for him and wasn't paying attention to where he was going. He ran right into the railing and tipped right over the edge. He let out a yelp as he fell down three storeys and landed in a hedge. He wasn't sure what hurt more, his backside or his pride.

((If anyone is wondering, Alfons conducted a general investigation and failed and this is the result. :p))

((For a Spymaster, Alfons really suck at it :p But those climbing skills tho :p))

Reactions:
@Riccardo93 ((a) it's called The Prince/ On principalities (original title) if talking of a book by Machiavelli b) it was written first in Italian in 1515, around 70Y after the current date in the AAR and c) it is a very good short read, I literally just finished in rl, it summerises much of the good policy on how to lead a state in this era, Sun Tzis treatise The Art of War incidentally, which is what they are referring to, is what I am to be reading next (speak of coincidences :p), and this is attributed to the Han era at around 500-200BC))

5wxzSfe.jpg

Many thanks for your condolences. It has been a hard time, but I am slowly getting through it, even if I do not know if I will ever touch a drop of wine again. I have seen close friends fall in Naples, but my eldest son is another matter. I suspect an ancient enemy of my family, jealous about the fact that I was appointed Count of Palermo, to have murdered Vincenzo, but it looks like I will never know for certain. But I have taken more severe measures for my security, so you may not need to fear for me. I also hope for Luigi's best, who despite being a condottieri leads a safer life it seems. He is happy that Ferran accepted his proposal.

I also wish to inform Your Majesty that His Steward is back at court, ready for any matter addressed to him.

Felice Castelozzi, Count of Palermo and Steward of Aragon

My Liege,

Yes, I know your son is spymaster, but he snuck in on me and my wife last night. I saw him going through her jewelry and her papers. And my wife was going to the bathroom when he saw her in not the most public view. I don't mean to be rude but keep your son under control. My wife is very angry that he saw her in an inappropriate state.

~Leonardo de Abruzzi, Grand Admiral of the Realm

King Joan II asks his son, Alfons, to join him in his quarters. A few guards and some servants wait outside and will be able to hear what is about to be said, but no one of great importance. ((Assume someone leaks the contents of the following conversation, so the whole court knows.)) He had some important matters to discuss. Once he and his son were alone in his room, Joan let him have it.

Joan: What is wrong with you? Do you realize how much embarrassment you have caused me? I've had to send apologies to several members of my court because of your behaviour. I've tried to cover for your behaviour, but my court is quite persistent. And my own Council too! Grand Admiral Leonardo de Abruzzi was furious when he told me that you were peeping on his wife, and he has a right to be so. This behaviour is unbecoming of a prince. I demand you stop this foolishness at once!

Alfons: But Father, it's not my fault. I was trying to find the traitors in our ranks. I just mixed up Erik Inge's room with Abruzzi's.

Joan: So now you're trying to spy on my Grandmaster! Alfons, I created the position of Spymaster to give you a position at court so you could learn how things work there, not for you to antagonize half my subjects. And don't get me started on the incident with the puppy. I'd prefer if you stop with your "interrogation practice" this moment. You're starting to scare people. If you keep this up, I'll be forced to send you away until you can learn how to behave properly. Perhaps I should enlist the help of one of the bishops or even Cardinal de Vascona to instill some proper Christian virtue in you. God knows you need it. Now do you promise me that you'll behave from now on?

Alfons: Yes, Father.

Joan: What was that? Speak up, boy.

Alfons: Yes, Father.

Joan: Good. If I have to hear about one more incident involving your outrageous behaviour, you won't see Valencia again until I'm dead and you're crowned king. Do you understand?

Alfons: Of course. I'll behave, I promise.

Joan: Good, now go study or do something productive. Cardinal de Vascona gave you that text to read, so get some use out of it.

Alfons leaves the room, his shoulders slumped in defeat.

Reactions:
@Riccardo93 ((a) it's called The Prince/ On principalities (original title) if talking of a book by Machiavelli b) it was written first in Italian in 1515, around 70Y after the current date in the AAR and c) it is a very good short read, I literally just finished in rl, it summerises much of the good policy on how to lead a state in this era, Sun Tzis treatise The Art of War incidentally, which is what they are referring to, is what I am to be reading next (speak of coincidences :p), and this is attributed to the Han era at around 500-200BC))

((Actually, Machiavelli also wrote a book called the Art of War around 1520; that's what I was referring to. Obviously horribly anachronistic still, but almost contemporary. And the Prince is pretty sweet XD))

Reactions:
My Liege,

Yes, I know your son is spymaster, but he snuck in on me and my wife last night. I saw him going through her jewelry and her papers. And my wife was going to the bathroom when he saw her in not the most public view. I don't mean to be rude but keep your son under control. My wife is very angry that he saw her in an inappropriate state.

I apologize to you and your wife for my poor behaviour. I should not have gone into your quarters uninvited. It will not happen again. Please accept my apologies.

- Alfons de Trastámara

I apologize to you and your wife for my poor behaviour. I should not have gone into your quarters uninvited. It will not happen again. Please accept my apologies.

- Alfons de Trastámara
My Prince,
We accept your apology, However if you enter into my room again, you may not get off so easily.

My Prince,
We accept your apology, However if you enter into my room again, you may not get off so easily.

*Jofré wanders through the castle of Valencia when he sees the Prince and the Grand Admiral*
"Know who you speak to Grand Admiral, he is your future king !

((Private letter to Erik Inge))

We are glad that you take your duties so seriously. We hope that your trade missions afar prove fruitful.

- His Majesty, Joan II de Trastámara, King of Aragon, Naples, and Navarra

((Private letter to Joan II Trastàmara))

My grace,

My mission to improve trade is going good, on my travels I have picked up some books that I have found very intersting.
I am sending these in the package with the letter, they are the greatest works of Tacitus, a renowned Roman Historian.
De vita Iulii Agricolae, De origine et situ Germanorum, Ab excessu divi Augusti, Historiae. Hope you enjoy them, you can perhaps also give the to Alfons if you want too.
Hope everything is faring well in Valencia.

Yours truly,
-Erik Inge

c1787768edd9bed0eefe73c9b9f77b05.png

Valencia had proven not to be the great boon that he had hoped for; whilst he had indeed made a few friends and allies (and perhaps even a future brother-in-law), he found no employment, and this predicament chafed at him fiercely. And after the introduction of Alphons and the arrival of Ferran de Napols, Don Ferran soon found himself more isolated than ever before. However, when word reached him that the Neapolitan was soon leaving for Italy, Don Ferran saw a brief chance to build a fortune abroad. He quickly wrote to the Ferdinand of Naples, only days before his departure from Valencia and Aragon.

((It's a private letter to Ferran))

Your Excellence,
Word has reached me detailing your intent to serve abroad in northern Italy, playing the condotierri in the many wars that blight those lands. Being the son of a King, especially a King I served with fidelity and bravery during the war with Castile, I feel it only proper to offer my services, and my sword, to you – whilst your retinue is indeed far grander than any force I could muster, you will need every knight and knave you can muster I imagine.
Should you find my offer, and request, most acceptable (as I hope you shall), I shall prepare to depart with you with great haste.
Your Faithful Knight and Servant,
Don Ferran de Cabrera

@Riccardo93 ((wow, learn something new each day))
@GameHunter5303 ((I believe the last entry was 1448))

Count de Soneta is slighted by the lack of interest expressed by the young monarch, but from hearing murmers around the court and the servants, he begins to understand the frigid and tense atmosphere of the court, and by extension the palace.

Reactions:
The Bishop swept down the corridor at a pace his knees protested at. He was an old man now well past fifty. The chirurgeon's face became paler and paler as they approached their destination. 'The boy needs to learn to express himself without painting the walls red.' Sastre thought 'A King needs claws, but he also needs to know when to deploy them.'
Obviously he had never been a father himself, but he had spent time with orphans when he was a young priest. He hoped he had learnt something from that time that could help guide him.
Saying a silent prayer asking for The Blessed Virgins aid he knocked on the Prince's door.

What a petulant age, but I must congratulate you on the birth of your, now second? Child, my grandmaster. I am yet to find solace in the arms of a lover, what is it that may be wrong?

I thus ask my liege is there any state he would ask of me to marry into, in order to insure the good of the realm?

Count de Soneta the First of Pirineo.
((respond to this as well as my slight Michael :p))

What a petulant age, but I must congratulate you on the birth of your, now second? Child, my grandmaster. I am yet to find solace in the arms of a lover, what is it that may be wrong?

I thus ask my liege is there any state he would ask of me to marry into, in order to insure the good of the realm?

((Nope I'm still talking about my first son, Renato, he was born right after the War with the Castilians.))

c1787768edd9bed0eefe73c9b9f77b05.png

Valencia had proven not to be the great boon that he had hoped for; whilst he had indeed made a few friends and allies (and perhaps even a future brother-in-law), he found no employment, and this predicament chafed at him fiercely. And after the introduction of Alphons and the arrival of Ferran de Napols, Don Ferran soon found himself more isolated than ever before. However, when word reached him that the Neapolitan was soon leaving for Italy, Don Ferran saw a brief chance to build a fortune abroad. He quickly wrote to the Ferdinand of Naples, only days before his departure from Valencia and Aragon.

((It's a private letter to Ferran))

Your Excellence,
Word has reached me detailing your intent to serve abroad in northern Italy, playing the condotierri in the many wars that blight those lands. Being the son of a King, especially a King I served with fidelity and bravery during the war with Castile, I feel it only proper to offer my services, and my sword, to you – whilst your retinue is indeed far grander than any force I could muster, you will need every knight and knave you can muster I imagine.
Should you find my offer, and request, most acceptable (as I hope you shall), I shall prepare to depart with you with great haste.
Your Faithful Knight and Servant,
Don Ferran de Cabrera

Ferran is handed a letter as he gets on the boat to Northern Italy. He reads it quickly and writes up a reply on the ship.

((Private letter to Don Ferran de Cabrera))

I'm surprised any man of noble blood would want to serve as a Condottieri. Surely you have so many more opportunities for you in Aragon that a bastard such as I cannot be part of? If you truly wish to join me though, I will not say no. My ship leaves tonight, so if you receive this letter before nightfall feel free to join me. It will be good to have company in an unfamiliar place.

- Ferran de Trastàmara

The Bishop swept down the corridor at a pace his knees protested at. He was an old man now well past fifty. The chirurgeon's face became paler and paler as they approached their destination. 'The boy needs to learn to express himself without painting the walls red.' Sastre thought 'A King needs claws, but he also needs to know when to deploy them.'
Obviously he had never been a father himself, but he had spent time with orphans when he was a young priest. He hoped he had learnt something from that time that could help guide him.
Saying a silent prayer asking for The Blessed Virgins aid he knocked on the Prince's door.

What do you want--I mean, who's there?

Alfons opens the door to the Bishop and the chirurgeon.

Oh, it's you. This must be the chir-whatever that Father spoke of. Is he going to teach me to cut up a corpse or something exciting like that?

- Alfons de Trastàmara

vvEKLhO.png

We are not certain if the marriage of Aragonese nobles with foreign families would secure better relations with another country as it would if royal bloodlines were tied together. If you wish to try regardless, you could consider a nice Portuguese noblewoman. They share a similar culture and any chance of improving relations with them is welcome.

((Private letter to Joan II Trastàmara))

My grace,

My mission to improve trade is going good, on my travels I have picked up some books that I have found very intersting.
I am sending these in the package with the letter, they are the greatest works of Tacitus, a renowned Roman Historian.
De vita Iulii Agricolae, De origine et situ Germanorum, Ab excessu divi Augusti, Historiae. Hope you enjoy them, you can perhaps also give the to Alfons if you want too.
Hope everything is faring well in Valencia.

Yours truly,
-Erik Inge

((Private letter to Erik Inge))

It is good to here that you continue to help the kingdom prosper. I will make certain that Alfons reads them all, I assure you. He could use the knowledge from those texts.