• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gentlemen, Please! This is unseemly!
This court was established that any man may get justice from His Majesty, no matter the rank of the accused; Cardinal Módena did not require rank or privilege to bring charges and as such there is no abuse of office. Unless Señor de Almeria has evidence that His Eminence brought charges out of malice or self interest, can we end this affair?

Reactions:
((To the Council and the King))

You are all aware aware, that nobody on this prestigious council is convinced that I am guilty. Cardinal Modena's accusations proved all to be wrong. Falsely accusing someone of treason, no matter the rank, has to be punished. Otherwise, in Aragon, we will soon have chaos if accuassastions can be thrown at people without any sort of convincing evidence. The Cardinal has to be punished for making such false accusations. I suggest that the punishment shall be decided by King Ferran III. Furthermore, the motivations for Cardinal Modena's ill-driven accusations have to be revealed.

I also find it suspicious that three council members wish to see my titles removed, despite me being innocent. I hope the Crown will intervene and end this madness. On what basis do you suggest to remove the titles of an innocent man?

Reactions:
Xs93UHA.png

I think it is clear that the Council, as well as I, believe that the accused, Antonio di Arezzo, is innocent of the crime of treason. While we have seen evidence of Arezzo using his wealth to sway the opinions of other members of court, a somewhat unscrupulous action in some regards, it is in no way illegal.

In regards to Cardinal Modena's position, I do not see it necessary to remove him from his position as Court Chaplain. I believe his decision to accuse Arezzo was not born from ill-intentions, but a desire to see an Aragon pure and free of the corruption caused by vast wealth. Still, accusing someone of treason cannot be taken lightly, and I will take that into account from now on. I would highly suggest that everyone refrain from such accusations unless they are certain of guilt. ((I think what I'll do is halve Von Habsburg's VP for the next vote to represent a loss in reputation for failing to provide the necessary evidence for a conviction. Now if people could not go throwing accusation around until I create a system for it, that would be appreciated.))

As for Arezzo's position in court, some members of the Council do raise an interesting point. While he has ruled over Sevilla in my stead quite well and is a capable viceroy, his ties to the Tuscan Bank do put him in the pay of a foreign entity, even if one within an allied power. I did grant Arezzo the title of count of Sevilla and I do not feel the need to revoke it due to this incident. As for his position as viceroy, I do not see how Tuscany could have any interest in administration of our colonies. However, the idea of someone high up in court being tied to a foreign entity still does not please me, even if Arezzo has used his position as a representative of the Tuscan Bank to greatly benefit Aragon. Let me ask this of you, Arezzo: would you consider giving up your position within the Tuscan Bank? Sevilla is one of the wealthiest provinces in Aragon and can surely sustain your endeavours. Perhaps you could even consider forming your own bank within Aragon, one that could provide funding to merchant and colonial efforts from a trusted source within Aragon. The Italian monopoly on banking could be broken here.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Cardinal Módena anxiously awaited the arrival of the council's verdict in his study, pacing back and forth. Soon a messanger arrived with a sealed scroll containing the verdict. The elderly Cardinal picked it up with trembling hands and opened it. Within a few minutes of reading the document the Cardinal clutched his chest and unceremoniously crumpled to the floor. Finding his eminence unconcious on the floor a few minutes after, his secretary dragged him to his bed and called for the medicus. However it was too late. The Cardinal had suffered a fatal stroke after years of sickness, stress, and service. He died with only a priest, his daughter, and his secretary present. Thus ends the last legitimate D'Este. May god have mercy on his soul.

((Following the example of Pope Stephen I have prepared a will and succeeding character but do not have the time to type right now. Will do later tonight though.))

Reactions:
Ferdinant was a busy man. With all his jobs, he still had time left. He started composing a song: He would call it the 'Marcha Real'. It was a song about Spain, and it's triumphs.
This is what he wrote:
¡Viva España! Alzad la frente, hijos del pueblo español que vuelve a resurgir.

Gloria a la Patria que supo seguir sobre el azul del mar el caminar del sol.

¡Triunfa, España! Los yunques y las ruedas canten al compás nuevos himnos de fe.

Juntos con ellos cantemos en pie la vida nueva y fuerte del trabajo y paz.

Reactions:
((Meanwhile in Brazil Sanchonia))

Miguel yawns and continues to practice his fencing with the other expedition members.
I wonder what's going on in Europe...on second thought I don't want to know.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Your Majesty,

I have no reason to leave the Bank of Tuscany for the time being. Founding a new bank would only make sense if I had the full support from the Crown, which I do not think I have. ((Mike if you change your mind about banks then I'll gladly found a new bank but since you think it's too much work to implement them properly. Your call.))

I also suggest that Cardinal Modena, who happened to have died shortly after I was proven innocent, shall be removed from the Royal Order of the Light due to falsely accusing me of treason.

~ Antonio di Arezzo, Count of Sevilla, Diplomat of the Crown, Viceroy of Sanchonia, and Represent of the Bank of Tuscany in Aragon

Reactions:
((I think the trial was quite poor and of course, von Habsburg killing off his character was quite a d*ck move as he escaped punishment that way. If the accuser can simply kill of his character after losing a trial then that's silly. There should have been more serve punishment for falsely accusing Antonio. Where is the fun for the other side if you can get away with crimes so easily? Therefore, I'll be resigning Antonio, seeing as I don't agree with some of the rules and mechanics. The AARs seem to favor certain players too much for my taste.))

Reactions:
((I think the trial was quite poor and of course, von Habsburg killing off his character was quite a d*ck move as he escaped punishment that way. If the accuser can simply kill of his character after losing a trial then that's silly. There should have been more serve punishment for falsely accusing Antonio. Where is the fun for the other side if you can get away with crimes so easily? Therefore, I'll be resigning Antonio, seeing as I don't agree with some of the rules and mechanics. The AARs seem to favor certain players too much for my taste.))

((That's real mature of you, withdrawing after whining incessantly about privacy and mechanics. I have been meaning to kill off Raffaelo for awhile and this trial only prolonged that time. The innocent verdict provided the perfect opportunity for him to have a legitimate way to die. You can go back for a few weeks and see me start to call him "weak","frail", and "sick."))

Reactions:
(( Colonization list

1. Ivory Coast (Africa, wzhang29)
2. Bahia (South America, Keinwyn)
3. Cape ( 05040603)
4. Fernando Po (Africa, Von Habsburg)
Not sure if any change other than 05's))

((Can everyone keep the petty bickering to a minimum. If delpiero wishes to leave, that is his prerogative. I do agree that people dying right before or when they are to be punished is annoying. I know I do have a rule against people killing off their characters to get out of punishments. Modena will be punished post-humously, mainly we will have a vote on his position in the Royal Order of Light.))

(( Colonization list

3. Cape ( 05040603)

((I don't have wzhang marked down for Ivory Coast, but that may be because he changed to the Falklands later. Since the original character is dead and the Falklands cannot be colonized by him, perhaps you should check to see if he still wants to colonize it.))

(( Colonization list

3. Cape ( 05040603)
((I will support a colony in Rio de Janeiro.))

Ferdinant was done with it. He took the first ship to Sanchonia. Aragon was getting too dangerous. There must be 100 noble plots going on to get him executed. No, he would be safe in Brazil.

Letter to the court of Aragon:

I will be going to Sanchonia. Business.

- Ferdinant II de Almeria

Last edited:
((I call dibs on backing a colony after Deumel))

((Well you have to actually state a province or region you want to colonize in so that the colonist can decide whether or not to colonize there for you.))

1541-1544 – The Calm Before the Storm

It was clear from recent events at court that the fate of Aragon was still yet undetermined. The New World and the Mediterranean seemed to be of equal importance to those at court. Tensions flared during the trial of Antonio di Arezzo as the prominent cardinal Raffaelo Mòdena accused the man of treason. While the investigation came up with no evidence of treason, many felt that it was the Church dabbling in affairs outside its jurisdiction. This tension would last for years to come.

Far from court, Mathieu Valeyron was allowed by the king to serve as a conquistador and take up his late mentor’s role in exploring the northern continent. He soon proved that his methods mirrored Montségur’s in more ways than one. On several occasions the conquistador got separated from the expedition and wandered off on his own. Every time a hunter would be sent out to retrieve him. It was practically becoming routine. It was just as routine as the encounters with tribes involving the men and women living separately. As usual, the men did not engage in such activity.

The court’s decision to rename Nova Arago was put through. The colony was thus named Sanchonia in honour of one of Aragon’s greatest explorers and the man who discovered the region.

The North African nations fortunately remained divided as Tunis targeted Djerid for conquest.

Grand Admiral Ferdinant II de Almeria began a long process of upgrading the galleys within the navy. All funds in the treasury were diverted to the effort, although it could only be attempted in piecemeal. Ten galleys were upgraded at the start of 1542, with plans to continue with the other thirty galleys when the funds were available.

King Xavier I de Valois of France passed away in January, allowing Philippe VII to ascend to the throne at the age of 21. The man had no heir and rumours surfaced yet again that a Trastámara may well end up on the throne.

In South America, Miguel de Leon encountered a rock painted with the image of a six-legged dragon the locals claimed their ancestors slew in the past. It was customary for the natives to discharge their weapons at the painting, and they requested the expedition do the same. While a waste of ammo, it was an easy way to impress the natives with their firearms. The men of the expedition made an impressive display by riddling the dragon pointing with bullet holes.

With the success of Sanchonia, the colonies were becoming a more desirable place to move to and seek out a fortune. Aragonese citizens were flocking to the New World in search of a better life.

Despite France thoroughly beating England, England managed to fend off the Scottish invasion and whittle Scotland down to a shadow of its former self.

Forces in the military were growing divided over strategy. One side advocated using forts to their best effect to fend off enemies. The other side thought that always being on the offensive benefited Aragon more. When approached about the issue, King Ferran III expressed favour for the offensive. A man had to throw himself headlong into battle to seize victory. That settled that debate.

Tunis’s war against Djerid ended in success as they reduced the nation to a minor state. North Africa was consolidating and Aragon was taking notice.

Mathieu Valeyron, during his exploration, encountered rumours of a kingdom to the north ruled by white men possessing endless precious metals. These rumours could not be ignored. The conquistador marched northwest with his men in search of this mysterious land.

Much farther south, Miguel de Leon was facing a different sort of dilemma. Some men had gotten into the whiskey supply and had drunken themselves into a stupor. They were flogged, but who knew how well that would keep them from repeating the incident. Leon did his best to stress the goal in site, that of finding gold or even the Fountain of Youth, and hoped that would help keep the men sober for a time.

The Church within Aragon began taking a new approach. The clergy’s increasing intervention into state affairs was not being taken that well. In an attempt to gain favour with the people, the Church resorted to great displays of piety. Mass became a grand ceremony and religious holidays were celebrated with much greater fervour. Ferran III, ever the pious man, encouraged this action. Whether the people were buying it was yet to be seen.

When they encountered yet another tribe that separated the men and women, this time the men eagerly went along with it, and they went away with a few rashes in unseemly places as a result. When they encountered yet another tribe with the same system, they practically fled. ((Based on the number of times we get this event, the entire New World must have men and women living separately.))

Valeyron’s troubles did not end there. Perhaps if he had been in Leon’s expedition years ago he may have known not to eat the mystery meat offered to him. Upon learning that he and his men had consumed human flesh, the men were horrified and left the tribe as quickly as possible. The king received word of the incident and erased all record of it as he had done with the previous one. He did send out instructions to all expeditions to only accept meat from the natives once it was clear what animal it came from.

Far to the east, the Muscovy giant faced the threat of peasant rebellion head-on. The fringes of the country were crumbling. Would the behemoth survive or collapse into disarray?

Genoa declared war on Crimea, intending to return the nation to the fold. Their expansion in the east was not appreciated by Aragon.

Valeyron seemed to get in endless troubles and he was taken hostage by the Mahican tribe. The chief’s daughter saved his life at the last moment, but that did not endear him to the tribe. He and his men fled as soon as they could. When he finally encountered a friendly tribe in Sokoki, he took the time to rest without fear for once.

By February of 1544, the plan to upgrade all forty galleys in the navy finally came to completion. The navy was now ready to meet any threat.

Just because the navy was being updated did not mean the army was ignored. A distinct breeding plan had let to the finest horses in all of Europe being from Aragon. An Aragonese warhorse was known for charging into battle without fear, and the men riding them thus fought more valiantly than elsewhere. Aragon’s cavalry was the envy of Europe.

A minor situation was developing in Byzantium. The Greeks still held claims to Epirus and that fact that the emperors continuously let Aragon keep it was greatly hurting their prestige. Either something had to be done about it or the Emperor would find his position less tenable. ((I just noticed that Byzantium has a core on Epirus and they’re losing prestige constantly from not owning it.))

Just as the king was fiddling with administrative reforms, a crisis broke out in Europe. Tensions against the Church had reached an all-time high. One monk, one Martin Luther, had been openly protesting the corruption within the Church for decades, but had been mostly ignored by everyone. Now he was practically on his deathbed and still finding little success. It was only in May of 1544 that the duke of Luneburg allowed this monk to visit his court and discuss religion. Once their discussion was over, the duke announced that he and his duchy would be breaking free from the Church. Church property was confiscated, much to the horror of the Holy See. What horrified them even more was when the duke announced that God supported his cause and would smite down the Pope for the sins of the Church. When the Pope died the very next day, that sent ripples throughout the Catholic world. Some believed it was a sign that the Protestant faith, as they called themselves, was the way to go. Others believed this new faith possessed dark magic and should be eradicated. Either way, the Reformation had begun and was ready to spread across Europe.

Even while the German lands started to feel the pressure of heresy, Martin Luther’s words were hardly felt in Aragon. What did Aragon care about some sickly German monk? Not even those with grievances against the Church thought much of him. But there was another force at work behind the scenes. A cult had existed in Aragon for decades, all based on the mysterious figure known as Lucrezia. There were even rumours that this cult had abducted King Ferran II in his younger days. This faith was based on a foundation of acceptance that was unheard of in this era. After the trial years ago, some started to wonder if the Church had the people’s best interests at heart. As portraits of a grotesque woman appeared all across Aragon and her message of acceptance was whispered in everyone’s ears, people started to take notice. Lucrezia had arrived.

778px-Quentin_Matsys_-_A_Grotesque_old_woman.jpg

Xs93UHA.png

Presenting His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks.

Heresy. The very word disgusts me. To hear of this break from the Church in Luneburg is despicable. That a ruler would condemn the souls of his countrymen to damnation cannot be forgiven. We must be every vigilant. The words of this liar Martin Luther may not be uttered here often, but I have heard rumours of another source of discontent with the Church. We must remain strong in our faith. I can only hope that the Inquisition remains vigilant during these times. Perhaps we should consider some religious laws to ensure the faith remains strong in Aragon.

((The Reformation has finally triggered! This is how things are going to work. Any player may become a heretic, but they are not required to share that information with the court. If you want to be a secret Protestant/Lucrezian (I’ve decided that our version of Protestantism follows the edicts of Lucrezia since Luther is pretty much dead at this point), you must send me a PM informing me of your true faith. You may also reveal your faith to the court if you want, but you can then be persecuted by the Inquisition and will face a penalty to your VP. Now the religious reform system comes into play. We cannot instantly convert to another faith, except through a coup. Instead a series of reforms must be enacted, as listed in the rules. I have changed the first law from what it originally was. Now it makes it so that members of that faith may no longer be criminally persecuted by the Inquisition. You’ll have to pass the first law before moving onto the next. Note, there are also three religious laws we can pass and anyone is free to suggest implementing them. I’ll include them below.

Anyway, onto normal business. Ministers have until Sunday at 12pm PST to post their plans. Players may also propose laws or petitions in that time. Landed nobles may nominate themselves for a position on the Cortz, since there is an opening. I’ll also be including updated screenshots of possible places to colonize in another post.

Pensioners:

@Robban204
@Morgan McCloud

Dying:

@Luftwafer
@Qwerty7
@RyuDrago
@Emilersej

))

Last edited:
( thanks to Mike and Kein for their help with this !, Yes this is very long read )

Imperial Chamberlain: Announcing Panhypersebastos Alexandros Kostopoulos, Count of Athenai.

Alexandros Kostopoulos: Hello My Lord. I have come to speak to you on behalf of Aragon about your claim on the county of Epirus? Can we speak about it my Lord?

Basileus Andronikos V: Er… Epirus… Where is that again?

Alexandros Kostopoulos: " My Lord it is nearby to my own country of Athens. The province is part of the agreement between our two nations. We have two provinces and you have the rest. But we are concerned with your claim on the province and how it is hurting your standing in the world my Lord."

Basileus: " Ah, yes… Epirus. We have a claim to it? Yes... of course."

Alexandros Kostopoulos: "Would it be possible for you to withdraw your claim on the province of Epirus? Rest assured the next lord of Epirus will be a Greek. I will make sure of it and they will not be... a disappointment like the last lord of Epirus was."

Basileus: " Last lord of Epirus? It is not a part of the Empire?"

Alexandros Kostopoulos: " It is a long story My Lord and it has been taken care of. I misspoke, sorry My Lord. The last count of Epirus was what I meant to say. But that is in the past and the next count I will make sure is a Greek. So are you willing to withdraw your claim on the province of Epirus ?"

Basileus: " But we cannot fight for it if we have no claim? Surely we must retake it?"

Alexandros Kostopoulos blinks a few times at the Basileus’ words.

Alexandros Kostopoulos: " My Lord, as our partner you will have no need to fight for provinces as I will assure you that any land we take that is in your area of control we will give them to you. Our King is the protector of the Greeks. He will do everything in his power to protect you from harm. He only asks that you give up the claim on Epirus."

Basileus: "Er well, in that case, I suppose - "

Maurianus Palaiologos enters the room.

Maurianus: "Basileus, I did not realize we were expecting a visitor. Is it something of importance?"

Basileus: "Ah, um yes, maybe. We were discussing the need to conquer Epirus."

Alexandros Kostopoulos: "My Lord we were not discussing that. We were discussing about you withdrawing your claim from Epirus so that your prestige can rise once again."

Maurianus: "Withdraw our claim? Does this land not belong to the Empire? After the recent events in the province, perhaps it would be better suited under Roman control."

Alexandros Kostopoulos folds his arms across his chest.

Alexandros Kostopoulos: "The land currently belongs to Aragon, Co-emperor Maurianus, and I do agree with you. The province will do much better under a Greek count of Aragon. I will make sure a Greek noble of Aragon is appointed as count of Epirus."

Basileus: "Hum..."

Maurianus: "Of course we wish to ensure that we remain in good standing with Aragon. The recent assistance during the… uprising was most appreciated."

Alexandros Kostopoulos hears a noise from behind him and turns to see one of his personal servants running towards him with a letter in his hand. He hands the letter to the count and bows before leaving just as quickly. Alexandros looks at the letter and then at the Emperors in the room.

Alexandros Kostopoulos: "My Lords, I have just gotten word about another option that is on the table. Although I will have to ask the King first. Would you consider the option of Aragon giving you back the province of Eprius ? “

Maurianus looks over at Andronikos, who has a vacant expression on his face.

Maurianus: "What are your thoughts on the matter, Basileus?"

Basileus:" Giving? You mean we don't have to conquer it?"

Andronikos looks faintly disappointed.

Alexandros Kostopoulos: "Yes My Lord. I will ask my king first but it sounds most reasonable that you should have the province of Eprius. We have no real reason for the land and you do have a claim on it. But I will have to ask my king first of course and he has to approve of the deal."

Maurianus: "Sounds like a simple solution. Send the matter back to my cousin Ferran and see if he’d prefer us to relinquish our claim to Epirus or for us to govern over Epirus from now on."

Alexandros Kostopoulos nods his head and claps his hands. Another personal servant of his comes into the room with a crate of the finest wines from Athens. The servant bows before the count and the Emperor and leaves just as quickly.

Alexandros Kostopoulos: "Shall we share a drink my Lords ? “

Maurianus grabs a glass and raises it in a toast.

Maurianus: "To the everlasting friendship between Aragon and the Roman Empire."

The Basileus also raises his glass. The three clink their glasses together and drink to their two nations.

Alexandros Kostopoulos Arrived back at Athens a few days later and quickly Wrote a private letter to the King.

Dear Your Majesty Ferran III de Trastámara

I wish to ask you a question or maybe it is more of a suggestion and I hope you do not get angry with me. We know how much it is hurting that Byzantine emperor that he has a claim on Epirus and that he is suffering pretisge because of it. I write to you with a suggestion that perhaps we should give Eprius back to the Byzantines. For some time now we have struggled with the province and the previous count did not help matters. besides what use do we have for the province anyway and this is a good way to make the relations between our two nations stronger than it is already. They have indicated that they would give up the core on Epirus as well.. But this second option is good as well. We give them back control of Eprius and their prestige goes back on the rise and they will no longer suffer with a core on a province they have a claim on. How does this idea sound to you my King ?. They will go either way it seems..But I believe it will be in the best intrest of all that we give the province back to the Byzantines so that their prestige can go back on the rise.

Your humble Servant
Alexandros Kostopoulos count of Athens

Reactions: