• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Any reason why not? I'd assume that he's not looking for support from courtiers/clergy in that matter which kinda makes sense to me.))
((We exist too. :(
But it also feels like he thinks that courtiers cannot help in wars. We can easily become generals/admirals and join the wars. I will join the army when a defensive war/war against the berbers starts.))

Musketeer: "Sir, we have heard a small fleet of 10 pirate ships is docked at Oran"

Ferdinant: "Sail, with haste! Time to crush the pirates!"

Reactions:
((Private-wzhang))

To Señor Lübecker

So you are trying to top me, eh? I accept your challenge! Let this contest prove once and for all who is the greatest explorer in the world.

Your rival,

Alejandro Sancho
Lübecker did not expect a letter at this time. It was from Sancho.

To Herr Sancho:

Challenge accepted. May the best explorer win.

FXL

Reactions:
((Private letter to @strategymad3500 ))
Jose de la costa, count of Epirus,

I heard you want war with the Genoese. But since that is not going to happen, I invite you to hunt pirate scum with me. You will get battle against the people who killed many of your fellow Greeks, who burned their ships, raided their cities and do good for the nation as well.

- Ferdiant II de Almeria, head of the ATC

Blachernae Palace, Constantinople.

Court life had changed a great deal over the passed year. Now senior emperor, Andronikos V sat obliviously at the centre of a web of schemes, getting pulled into the clutches of first one faction and then another. Of late a certain Ioannes, brother-in-law to the Emperor had gained favour and was quickly gaining power.

Nephew of the celebrated general Basileios Kantakuzenos, popular at court and with the people, Ioannes was extremely well positioned to succeed as Emperor. Indeed rumours already circulated that it was only a matter of time before Andronikos elevated him to co-emperor.

In theory this could only be good, Andronikos was childless and installing a natural successor would ensure stability. Yet Armand could only worry. It was more or less an open secret that Ioannes was a supporter of the Orthodox rite, that he rejected the union with Rome. Even darker suggestions floated around; that Ioannes disapproved of Aragonese influence, that Greece should be free of Aragonese interference altogether.

Armand sombrely considered his options...

Ferdinant finally arrived at Oran. He saw that not 10 ships were there, but 12! Well, more ships to destroy, he thought. He fired 5 cannonballs. 2 ships sunk. The pirates were alerted. Ferdinant retreated his ships out of the harbor, to avoid the city archers bombarding his ships. He placed his single ship outside of archer range. But, his long range cannons could reach the city archers.
The pirates were closing in on his ship. He fired his cannons. 4 ships sunk. The pirates started to retreat. He fired his cannons again. All missed. One last shot. He fired his cannons, 3 ships sunk. The pirates got away. It was clear to Ferdinant that he needed more ships. After this crushing victory he sailed to Granada.. He would ask the king if he could get some extra ships to hunt for the pirates. In return he would offer him his service as admiral.

2 days later...

Ferdinant arrived in Granada, he had not seen his parents for over 2 years. After some reuniting, he would write a letter to the king.

((Private letter to king Ferran III de Trastàmara @Michaelangelo ))

My king, I would like to offer you my services as an admiral ((Stat focus would be Fire)) and I would use the navy for good, instead of just letting it sit there. I will give the sailors experience by crushing the barbary pirates endangering the entire Mediterranean sea. But I am also asking if I can use Gibraltar as a naval base, so we can atleast limit the Barbary pirates. If I could get the lordship of Gibraltar, I would turn militarise the city and make it the greatest naval base, where ships could be build in half the normal time, ships would be cheaper to build and would repair more quickly.

- Ferdinant de Almeria

((How would one create spoilers and put stuff in italics?))

((I'm assuming you're either on a phone or don't have access to the easy commands. You can just use the BB code by typing {i}insert italicized text here{/i} or {spoiler}insert spoiler text here{/spoiler}, swapping the curly brackets out for square brackets instead.))

Ferdinant finally arrived at Oran. He saw that not 10 ships were there, but 12! Well, more ships to destroy, he thought. He fired 5 cannonballs. 2 ships sunk. The pirates were alerted. Ferdinant retreated his ships out of the harbor, to avoid the city archers bombarding his ships. He placed his single ship outside of archer range. But, his long range cannons could reach the city archers.
The pirates were closing in on his ship. He fired his cannons. 4 ships sunk. The pirates started to retreat. He fired his cannons again. All missed. One last shot. He fired his cannons, 3 ships sunk. The pirates got away. It was clear to Ferdinant that he needed more ships. After this crushing victory he sailed to Granada.. He would ask the king if he could get some extra ships to hunt for the pirates. In return he would offer him his service as admiral.

2 days later...

Ferdinant arrived in Granada, he had not seen his parents for over 2 years. After some reuniting, he would write a letter to the king.

((Private letter to king Ferran III de Trastàmara @Michaelangelo ))

My king, I would like to offer you my services as an admiral ((Stat focus would be Fire)) and I would use the navy for good, instead of just letting it sit there. I will give the sailors experience by crushing the barbary pirates endangering the entire Mediterranean sea. But I am also asking if I can use Gibraltar as a naval base, so we can atleast limit the Barbary pirates. If I could get the lordship of Gibraltar, I would turn militarise the city and make it the greatest naval base, where ships could be build in half the normal time, ships would be cheaper to build and would repair more quickly.

- Ferdinant de Almeria

Xs93UHA.png

While we do have need of an admiral, I do not see why this requires a title. If you are incapable of commanding the navy without having your own personal naval base, then perhaps you are not fit for the position. I'd recommend making use of the naval infrastructure of Sicily and Sardinia. Those islands are more than fit to provide the necessary needs for our navy in combating piracy. If you can make use of them, then I will gladly accept you as our new admiral.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

Reactions:
Xs93UHA.png

While we do have need of an admiral, I do not see why this requires a title. If you are incapable of commanding the navy without having your own personal naval base, then perhaps you are not fit for the position. I'd recommend making use of the naval infrastructure of Sicily and Sardinia. Those islands are more than fit to provide the necessary needs for our navy in combating piracy. If you can make use of them, then I will gladly accept you as our new admiral.

- His Majesty, Ferran III de Trastámara, King of Aragon and Protector of the Greeks

I will use these provinces then, my king.

- Ferdinant de Almeria

((I have thought about the name of my new ship: It's name will be Cruzada Victoria.))

Last edited:
Xs93UHA.png

I have received word from our Representative to Byzantium, Armand Antonio Sastre, that the political situation in Byzantium is quite tenuous. The new Emperor, Andronikos V, has no heir and some suspect he is incapable of producing one. I wish to share this letter I have received on the subject so that you may all advise me on the wisest course of action. I am unsure if I should interfere in the succession, but it may be in Aragon's best interests to do so.

Your Majesty,

Since Emperor Theodoros III ascended to heaven this year passed, his son and heir, Andronikos V, has been blessed with peace and contentment. He has not, however, been blessed with children despite two marriages over near thirty years, and whilst he has taken a new, young wife the court does not hold out hope of an heir.

For some time now the Emperor's brother-in-law, a certain Ioannes Kantakouzenos, has been gaining influence and respect at court. The man is an avowed supporter of the Orthodox rite and, I suspect, supporter of Greek independence. If left unchecked it can only be a matter of time before Andronikos elevates him as his co-emperor.

If your majesty should express a preference for some other successor, your prestige and position as noble protector of the Greek lands would likely sway the succession to someone less detrimental to Aragonese interests.

Maurianus, husband to your majesty's cousin, is himself a cousin to the late emperor and is well known as pro-Aragonese and is a devout Catholic. He does not have many friends at court and lacks experience. His reign may well be turbulent.

Denizens of another cousin, Michael, have approached me and asked for your majesty's backing. This individual is known as a drunken sot and is likely to spend his reign in hedonistic debauchery. I doubt such a man cares for faith or our Lord and saviour. The upside of this is that he is unlikely to be divisive.

Of course your majesty may also wish to press his own claim to the imperial throne as nephew to the late emperor. I shall leave such decisions to yourself and the noble gentlemen of the Aragonese court.

((Well with that, we may start the vote. As you can gather, we're having a special event here, courtesy of Keinwyn and the current political situation in Byzantium. You get a chance to pick a potential heir for the Greeks, although each choice will have consequences. Choose wisely. There is also the matter of the French War with Provence. Let us vote on that too.

Honour French Call-to-arms: Yes/No/Abstain
Byzantine Succession: Do Not Interfere/Maurianus/Michael/Ferran III/Abstain

You have until Friday at 9am PST to vote. Please bold your votes and include your character's name and class. I need to clarify that the "do not interfere" option does not mean the game will decide an heir, but that an event will decide the new heir. He is likely to be one of the ones listed in the letter.))

Last edited:
((Honour French call to arms: Yes
Byzantine Succession: Ferran III))

[Courtier, admiral]

My king, I support you as emperor of Byzantium.

((Is it possible to elevate your government rank to emperor if you win this? Since, well, you are the emperor of Rome.))

Last edited:
((Is it possible to elevate your government rank to emperor if you win this? Since, well, you are the emperor of Rome.))

((I think I'd like to keep it so we must get the required development to become an empire. Having to gain it that may, even if Ferran III became emperor of Byzantium, could at least represent the fact that his rule there might not be widely accepted at first.))

Honor French Call-to-arms: Yes
Byzantine Succession: Do Not Interfere

[courtier; explorer]

Mayhaps it is time to leave the old Roman Empire to their old affairs? We have built them up to be a power once again. We will be quite busy maintaining our own overseas empire in the future so I fear the constant oversight of Byzantium will prove too great a strain on our resources.

-Alejandro Sancho

((I think I'd like to keep it so we must get the required development to become an empire. Having to gain it that may, even if Ferran III became emperor of Byzantium, could at least represent the fact that his rule there might not be widely accepted at first.))
((It could be represented with Ferran being emperor in Byzantium and king in Aragon. You may have to change SUBJECT_MAX_RANK in the defines to 3 to achieve this in the game, but we will just roleplay.