• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So agriculture remains the root of Californian success even into the 24th century. Guess that report was right after all… :p
THE REPORT SPEAKS TRUE
ALL PRAISE TO THE REPORT
Sort of had the air of a Father John Misty track, which seems appropriate enough in my eyes.
I've been meaning to check him out for a while now, and I really should get around to him. Mostly I've been writing Empire of the Bear while listening to the Velvet Underground, but I might change that on the next update.

Reactions:
Wine is very valuable, it seems...

Interesting bit about technology...

Let California rise!
Oh, California will rise. I can promise you that. I can also promise plenty of syphilitic insanity, murder, weirdly good governance, and philosophy. Not necessarily in that order.

Reactions:
I've been meaning to check him out for a while now, and I really should get around to him. Mostly I've been writing Empire of the Bear while listening to the Velvet Underground, but I might change that on the next update.

Not necessarily thee best place to start but the Pure Comedy album has a number of “after the end” type tracks.

I would be interested to know whether there’s a difference reading updates written to VU records and reading chapters written to smoother stuff. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not necessarily thee best place to start but the Pure Comedy album has a number of “after the end” type tracks.

I would be interested to know whether there’s a difference reading updates written to VU records and reading chapters written to smoother stuff. :p
I'll definitely give it a listen. And in fairness, I should admit I've mostly been listening to their third album while writing, which is pretty smooth. But it is most definitely time for a change.

Reactions:
Enjoyed the latest update as well. I know topics like this are often fairly dry to some people, but I enjoy the occasional "deep-dive" look at the background myself.

On that note, I think the Doors would jive well with a project like this as well, especially songs like "Riders on the Storm" and "The End."

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll definitely give it a listen. And in fairness, I should admit I've mostly been listening to their third album while writing, which is pretty smooth. But it is most definitely time for a change.

I half had that possibility in mind when you mentioned, actually. I can never really get past the first side of that album but Rock n Roll is one of their best tracks imo.

On that note, I think the Doors would jive well with a project like this as well, especially songs like "Riders on the Storm" and "The End."

Oh yeah, this is a good shout too. And we’ve probably also gotta stick on California Dreaming, right? :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can never really get past the first side of that album but Rock n Roll is one of their best tracks imo.

I just went to put it on and realised I mixed up my third and fourth VU albums. (Forgot about White Light/White Heat :/) While I recover from this awful faux pas I’ll just say again that Rock and Roll is such a good track, absolutely fitting music to stalk the desert wastelands of post-apocalyptic California. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just went to put it on and realised I mixed up my third and fourth VU albums. (Forgot about White Light/White Heat :/) While I recover from this awful faux pas I’ll just say again that Rock and Roll is such a good track, absolutely fitting music to stalk the desert wastelands of post-apocalyptic California. :D
It is pretty great, though Loaded is by far my least favorite VU album. Honestly I might just make a California playlist and throw these things on..
Absolutely! :D
California Dreaming has absolutely got to be on. The Doors I'm less enthused about, mostly because of Jim Morrison's lyrics. The mood's right, though, so I might put on some Stooges instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's funny really because VU are so quintessentially New York. But I guess the Event probably keeps that shrouded in mystery.

Anyway, more AARs should have playlists. An excellent initiative.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I do have to concede that Morrison's lyrical (and melodic) quality can be somewhat inconsistent at times, but when the Doors are at the top of their game, they're absolute gold.

Ironically, I've never really been all that enthusiastic about Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground as a whole myself, though again they do have some songs I generally consider quite excellent. I guess different strokes, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I do have to concede that Morrison's lyrical (and melodic) quality can be somewhat inconsistent at times, but when the Doors are at the top of their game, they're absolute gold.

Ironically, I've never really been all that enthusiastic about Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground as a whole myself, though again they do have some songs I generally consider quite excellent. I guess different strokes, etc.
It's really the inconsistency that gets me, I think. He does have some great lines, it's just that they're followed immediately afterward by absolute crap. But I really should give them a fairer shake and give a proper listen to Morrison Hotel some point soon.

It's funny really because VU are so quintessentially New York. But I guess the Event probably keeps that shrouded in mystery.

Anyway, more AARs should have playlists. An excellent initiative.
Oh, I'm fully looking forward to talking about the Event's consequences for songwriting and the folksongs of tomorrow (though I'd imagine if the Velvets survived at all, the more New York-centric songs would be quickly forgotten and only things like Pale Blue Eyes would stick). But I can't fully let this turn into the Butterfly Effect. I want to at least get to gameplay before talking about everything under the sun.
Also, I am pleased to announce that this AAR may now, depending on whether I've linked it correctly, feature AARland's first collaborative playlist. Yes, that's right, you can add whatever songs you want to the playlist and/or mock my choices! It was interesting looking through the things I listen to, because most of it really doesn't have a ton of thematic relevance to After the End specifically, but I'm sure you guys are resourceful.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
But I can't fully let this turn into the Butterfly Effect. I want to at least get to gameplay before talking about everything under the sun.

I know the feeling. I just finished writing about how a 1964 staging of Hamlet captured the mood of post-Mosley Britain…

Also, I am pleased to announce that this AAR may now, depending on whether I've linked it correctly, feature AARland's first collaborative playlist. Yes, that's right, you can add whatever songs you want to the playlist and/or mock my choices! It was interesting looking through the things I listen to, because most of it really doesn't have a ton of thematic relevance to After the End specifically, but I'm sure you guys are resourceful.

Incredible stuff. Will bring my student DJ experience to the table and see what I can conjure up. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know the feeling. I just finished writing about how a 1964 staging of Hamlet captured the mood of post-Mosley Britain…
Incredible stuff. Will bring my student DJ experience to the table and see what I can conjure up. :D
Hey, Echoes of a New Tomorrow is great. I think all of us readers would be incredibly disappointed if we didn't learn with every update how post-Mosley British and Soviet soft power clashed through the lens of agricultural trade shows or something along those lines :D

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hey, Echoes of a New Tomorrow is great. I think all of us readers would be incredibly disappointed if we didn't learn with every update how post-Mosley British and Soviet soft power clashed through the lens of agricultural trade shows or something along those lines :D

Scarily close to reality. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
To get back to music: I think the Eagles should be the soundtrack of this AAR. Quintessential California band and Hotel California and Teenage Wasteland are two songs one could get theological about.

Just a thought....

As for British Affairs I am really think Mosley was fringe but Enoch Powell was much scarier....since he was a Tory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would definitely enjoy seeing how post-Event society confronts the existence of the terrifying “Hotel California”.

As for British Affairs I am really think Mosley was fringe but Enoch Powell was much scarier....since he was a Tory.

This particular Mosley is from my Syndicalist Britain timeline, so the stakes are a bit different. But otherwise you are probably right to say Powell was the bigger threat. As A. Sivanandan said:

“What Enoch Powell says today, the Conservative Party says tomorrow, and the Labour Party legislates on the day after.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would definitely enjoy seeing how post-Event society confronts the existence of the terrifying “Hotel California”.

This particular Mosley is from my Syndicalist Britain timeline, so the stakes are a bit different. But otherwise you are probably right to say Powell was the bigger threat. As A. Sivanandan said:

“What Enoch Powell says today, the Conservative Party says tomorrow, and the Labour Party legislates on the day after.”
The only thing I know Powell for is the Rivers of Blood speech and thus his massive racism and that he was mainstream for a really incredibly long time (though I suppose since I'm speaking from the country that kept Strom Thurmond around until he died, that kept Steve King in office for eight years, and that has, well, its current government, I shouldn't throw stones). I assume he was also closet fash?

I figure the Hotel California is a concept at this point, to be honest. The song itself is so odd -and probably a bit too musically complicated for mass folk reproduction- that I don't think it would have survived as a song, but the idea of the Hotel California as a sort of desert prison probably has, and it's probably been applied with more... theological purposes in mind. In fact, you're giving me an idea for a bit to talk about in the next update...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I figure the Hotel California is a concept at this point, to be honest. The song itself is so odd -and probably a bit too musically complicated for mass folk reproduction- that I don't think it would have survived as a song, but the idea of the Hotel California as a sort of desert prison probably has, and it's probably been applied with more... theological purposes in mind. In fact, you're giving me an idea for a bit to talk about in the next update...

This seems like a good way to deal with it.

The only thing I know Powell for is the Rivers of Blood speech and thus his massive racism and that he was mainstream for a really incredibly long time (though I suppose since I'm speaking from the country that kept Strom Thurmond around until he died, that kept Steve King in office for eight years, and that has, well, its current government, I shouldn't throw stones). I assume he was also closet fash?

I’m not a Powell expert by any means, but insofar as I’ve done my Powell reading for Echoes here’s my take.

I don’t think Powell was cryptofash in any classical sense; he held such an odd collection of views that ran from proto-Thatcherism to old-school British imperialism (not that these are mutually exclusive) that I think the best you could draw is that he was undeniably fash-adjacent. He was definitely adopted as a totemic figure for the far-right in the late 60s and 70s – a time when the British fash were becoming increasingly visible in political life anyway.

That said, I think what he proves is that imperialism in its classic British form absolutely flirts with fashy ideas. Above all else his ambition was the maintenance of the Empire – particularly India, whose governor-general he had wanted to be since he was about 12. (This is ultimately why he left a professorial chair in Australia to enlist as a private soldier back in Britain. He was still under 30 at the time and the youngest Classics professor in the entire Commonwealth. He was also one of about three people to rise from private to brigadier over the course of the war.) He did venerate war (or the War, anyway) to an almost nihilistic degree, going so far as wishing he had died at El Alamein, so you could make the argument about this being a fascist tendency – but again I think it’s more the imperialist overlap.

After India achieved independence he never really forgave the people who let it happen. For him I think whiteness was about keeping the Empire strong (ie, how can the African nations grow strong if their populations are coming over here?). Obviously this is the basic sociopolitical function that whiteness serves anyway, so really Powell was just saying the quiet parts out loud. His views were of the prewar world, but he was gifted (and frankly odd) enough to carve out a successful career after 45, so he hung around as this weird relic who was romantically attached to an Empire that was increasingly embarrassing and a nuisance to maintain. And obviously the longer this went on, the longer the absolute worst people in Britain saw him as their spokesman.

Had he got anywhere nearer to power after Rivers of Blood, we’d probably have seen for definite how close he would have skirted to the far-right in government. As it was, I think he was a symptom of a lot of quite ugly tendencies within British life that most people were (and are) happy to accept so long as they remain discreet.

Reactions:
In Which Readers are Once More Blatantly Teased and the Author's Relative Lack of Knowledge About & Unconscious Disrespect for an Abrahamic Religion is Exposed
So I don't know that much about Islam. I think I know more about it than the average Anglosphere denizen, given that my main college study so far has been on the Middle Eastern portions of the Ottoman Empire and I've taken a class or two about it, but I am not a believer and I'm not super-knowledgeable. Basically I thought it could be cool to photoshop some actual Islamic art as a kind of example to show how religion has shifted after the Event in California (which will absolutely come into play next update), and I remembered I had a few cool slides from a class on Islamic afterlife narratives and eschatology I took a few months ago and changing them a bit.
I was thinking, in particular, of using these as a base:
1598417658483.png

1598417687853.png

1598417716405.png

1598417742567.png

These are selections from an illustrated mi'raj narrative (i.e. a version of Muhammad's Night Journey), the name of which I can't seem to find at the moment, made in Central Asia (from what I've been told, the figural depiction of the Prophet was largely not the biggest deal in many areas at the time, and the only place where figural depiction itself was completely prohibited was in the mosque space itself). The first picture depicts him speaking with an angel appearing as a giant heavenly rooster who is counting the time and praising Allah, the second of him and the buraq in the seventh heaven surrounded by divine light, the third is him talking to some sort of angel or archangel that I forget what the deal is, and the fourth is of him in union with the divine presence.
To tell you the truth, and I'm not proud of this, my first instinct was to consider Photoshopping James Dean's head onto the Prophet. I decided not to do that, because after thinking about it for slightly more than three seconds, it occurred to me that it would probably be incredibly blasphemous and offensive to every practicing Muslim in the world, as well as disrespectful to the art itself. I think I've made the right choice. But I still think that the art itself is very nice and something about its style still feels AtE Californian to me, and, since i think I want to retain you guys' attention through whenever I next have an update out (and it may be a while, because I'm taking the LSAT in a few days and may not have a lot of time), I'll present it here as a teaser (are these teasers the weirdest teasers in AARland or what?).
Hope you guys enjoy the next update when it comes out! If there are any Muslims reading this, I'm... really sorry about that, and I'd be interested in hearing your perspective.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: