• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SolSys

Paradox Wikis
Community Ambassador
127 Badges
Apr 26, 2013
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Major Wiki Contributor
wiki_eos_logo.png

Hello there gals and pals,

I'm here to inform you the official Empire of Sin community wiki is now up and running.

You should all know this wiki is meant to be one swell source of information for both new and experienced players.

So you better not be wet blankets and come and join us in building the wiki together as the game evolves.

And now, if y'all excuse me, I have to go see a man about a dog ;)

Regards,
Paradox Wikis moderation team

* pardon for all the era puns.

Reactions:
Hello! It would be great if you could update the "work needed" page so I know what to try to work on when I have some spare time. I also hope the updates I make to the already existing pages will be included in the following versions, if they are deemed correct. Thank you!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello! It would be great if you could update the "work needed" page so I know what to try to work on when I have some spare time. I also hope the updates I make to the already existing pages will be included in the following versions, if they are deemed correct. Thank you!
I have some WIP pages, but I'll be sure to include all relevant changes made by the community.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi folks,

I have been looking to add/tweak content on the EoS wiki -- if you are using it at all (and if not, please tell why).

As part of this I was thinking on changing the weapon table layouts in the hopes it will be more useful/helpful and was looking to some user feedback.
The main point of the change is to make it look less cluttred while at the same time allowing easier comparison between different rarity levels (note: This can be achieved in the current layout using table sorting, but may not be as comfortable.)

Additionally, I would also like to hear what stats are important to you and what you don't care for at all (do you even look at score?).

Current layout (Handguns table)
current layout.png

New layout (Mockup, work in progress)
new layout.png

Looking forward to your constructive feedback,
SolSys

Last edited:
My bad; I noticed the thread, forgot to reply and then forgot to revisit. I'm waiting for the upcoming update to resume playing the game, so I haven't touched it (or the wiki) for a while.

As part of this I was thinking on changing the weapon table layouts in the hopes it will be more useful/helpful and was looking to some user feedback.
The main point of the change is to make it look less cluttred while at the same time allowing easier comparison between different rarity levels (note: This can be achieved in the current layout using table sorting, but may not be as comfortable.)

Additionally, I would also like to hear what stats are important to you and what you don't care for at all (do you even look at score?).
It definitely looks better! To be fair I don't care that much for comparing rarity tiers of the same model (after all, rarer is strictly better), but this layout also makes it much easier to compare the different models at the same rarity level, at least visually :)

What are the sorting possibilites using this new layout? For example, could I sort the gun models by the damage of their common rarity level? I'm not sure how that would work (and I notice there are no sorting arrows in the rarity columns).

For stats, I would consider dropping price and score entirely. I don't care that much for price in the first place (it's all in the same order of magnitude) and it doesn't make much sense to keep it as is since the value is supposed to cover all the rarity levels. I have no idea what the score column is for :p
The additional modifiers column is empty in this case, so it might be an option to drop it although I suppose it would be more consistent to keep it in the template w.r.t. other tables.
I never really paid attention to the effective range, clip size and overwatch columns. Now that I look at them, the overwatch one is quite interesting. I wasn't aware of such significant differences in range and angle between the guns :) Nothing for or against clip size. It could be an option to drop the effective range column since almost all of them are for close range anyway. If you change "additional modifiers" to "further notes" or something, you could drop a sentence somewhere that "all handguns have close range unless otherwise specified" and then note the few exceptions (zip guns and two of the unique guns) in the dedicated column.

Reactions:
I have been looking to add/tweak content on the EoS wiki -- if you are using it at all (and if not, please tell why).
To answer this question: I have at times used the wiki, but not much. A couple of examples (in an arbitrary order):
  1. I once used the page on handguns (https://eos.paradoxwikis.com/Handguns) to pick a good pistol. I was very grateful for the overview and decided on some pistol that both looked nice and had good stats, and then couldn't find any information on how to actually find it --- I ended up searching the script files and the forum for that. For example: where can I obtain a police issue M1911 pistol? Can I simply find it like other regular weapons, do I have to kill a specific person or complete a specific mission, or do I have to bribe the police to shop with them?
  2. I opened the diplomacy page to read up on moles (https://eos.paradoxwikis.com/Diplomacy#Moles), since my gangster had been away for four months or so and I had no idea when to except them back. Specifically I wanted to know whether there was any way to recall them. I learned from the wiki that the effect of the mole depends on the mole's class, but I couldn't find out how to recall them or how long I should expect them to be away. I recall finding a forum thread about it with some answers.
  3. I wanted to make a full-Irish team (with an exception for Guido Cervone because he is lit) and wanted to explore the options in the list of gangsters (https://eos.paradoxwikis.com/Gangster#List_of_gangsters). I then found that I could sort the list by heritage in the first tab, but this sorting did not seem to carry over to the other tabs which contained the gangsters' actual stats (and relationships), meaning I still had to search them all by name. I concede that this is not a common scenario, but there are other reasons to cross-references between different tabs, which is currently not straightforward. For example, I know of no easy/convenient way to compare the stats and hiring requirements of all doctors. However, in this case I can also do so in-game.
I'm not sure how to properly summarise this, but one thing I'm noting is a certain lack of details. The wiki does a good job of explaining the basics concepts of the game, telling people what buttons are where and what they (roughly) do, but (with some exceptions, such as moles) so does the game itself. With the exception of the lists of weapons and other items, the wiki currently doesn't really tell me much that the in-game descriptions and tooltips don't since further details are missing. Take the police section of the diplomacy page (https://eos.paradoxwikis.com/Diplomacy#Police) as an example. It doesn't answer the following questions:
  • How much do I need to bribe the police to improve their opinion of me by 1? If it is variable, what is the formula or at least what are the variables (i.e., does it depend on your wealth, empire size, score, ...)?
  • How much standing do I need to use "turn a blind eye", and how much would I need to pay?
  • How amenable must the cops be to me to request their protection? What does protection entail; is it just from sabotage or other police, or will they actually protect my rackets in an all-out gang war?
  • How much is "a large sum" for a clean slate?
  • How much opinion will I lose if I shop with the police, and how much will I need in the first place?
I don't know how readily available this kind of information is and whether it would be worth all the time and effort to add such a level of detail to the wiki, but there you have it from my perspective :)

Reactions:
What are the sorting possibilites using this new layout? For example, could I sort the gun models by the damage of their common rarity level? I'm not sure how that would work (and I notice there are no sorting arrows in the rarity columns).
The sorting arrows are not shown due to some gfx glitch (colored headers), but they are indeed sortable by their basic damage level (and only that parameter).

To answer this question: I have at times used the wiki, but not much. A couple of examples (in an arbitrary order):
Tables are problematic on wikis since you also need to be able to view the info in a comfortable way. The tabs were a compomise to that end (but maybe I can consolidate one or two tabs togther).

The general info is mostly basic since I don't have the time to play the game. That said, info can be extracted from the files one at a time (such as NPC loot ;) ).

I don't know how readily available this kind of information is and whether it would be worth all the time and effort to add such a level of detail to the wiki, but there you have it from my perspective :)
I can prioritize working on a specific content if I know players want them (though, obviously, it would be on the expense of something else).

Thank you for your feedback :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The sorting arrows are not shown due to some gfx glitch (colored headers), but they are indeed sortable by their basic damage level (and only that parameter).
Perfect! :D

The general info is mostly basic since I don't have the time to play the game. That said, info can be extracted from the files one at a time (such as NPC loot ;) ).

I can prioritize working on a specific content if I know players want them (though, obviously, it would be on the expense of something else).
Personally I'm quite comfortable using a command line terminal to quickly search for stuff in the game files, so just to be sure: there's no need to consider anything I've just mentioned as a request for content :)

To answer my own question about the police issue M1911 for anyone interested:
Code:
[luc@fred GameData_Win64~]$ grep -rn "Police Issue M1911 Pistol" Localization/*
Localization/GameData_en.json:34516:  "$WEAPON_STATS_LAW_HANDGUN_02_name":"Police Issue M1911 Pistol",
Localization/GameData_en.json:34517:  "$WEAPON_STATS_LAW_HANDGUN_02_modifierName":"Police Issue M1911 Pistol",
Apparently the gun is called LAW_HANDGUN_02 in the script files.

Code:
[luc@fred GameData_Win64~]$ grep -rn "LAW_HANDGUN_02" Lua/*
Lua/Config/Items/WeaponConfig.lua:2517:LAW_HANDGUN_02 = -- Police Issue M1911 Pistol
Lua/Config/Items/WeaponConfig.lua:2519:    _includes = {"BASE_HANDGUN_03","WEAPON_STATS.LAW_HANDGUN_02"},
Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/WeaponStats.lua:5974:_id = "LAW_HANDGUN_02"
Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/WeaponStats.lua:5975:name = "$WEAPON_STATS_LAW_HANDGUN_02_name" --$ Police Issue M1911 Pistol
Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/WeaponStats.lua:5993:modifierName = "$WEAPON_STATS_LAW_HANDGUN_02_modifierName" --$ Police Issue M1911 Pistol
Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/WeaponStats.lua:5996:desc = "$WEAPON_STATS_LAW_HANDGUN_02_desc" --$ Designed for military use, the M1911 provides the stopping power that the .38 revolvers lack. Featuring manageable recoil and large .45 caliber rounds, the M1911 is a popular choice for anyone who needs to ensure that when their target's down, they won't get back up.
Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/LootDrops.lua:21848:_id = "ITEM_WEAPON_LAW_HANDGUN_02"
Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/LootDrops.lua:21849:itemId = "ITEM.WEAPON.LAW_HANDGUN_02"
Lua/Scripts/Characters/BaseNPCInventory.lua:2067:startingInventory.secondaryWeapon = "ITEM.WEAPON.LAW_HANDGUN_02"
Lua/Scripts/Characters/BaseNPCInventory.lua:2072:startingInventory.secondaryWeapon = "ITEM.WEAPON.LAW_HANDGUN_02"
Lua/Scripts/Characters/BaseNPCInventory.lua:2292:startingInventory.secondaryWeapon = "ITEM.WEAPON.LAW_HANDGUN_02"
Lua/Scripts/Characters/BaseNPCInventory.lua:2297:startingInventory.secondaryWeapon = "ITEM.WEAPON.LAW_HANDGUN_02"
These are all the scripts that mention the gun. Of particular interest is Lua/Scripts/DataSheets/LootDrops.lua around line 21848, which contains the following:

Code:
--[[------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Weapon Law Handgun 02
M1911 Pistol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------]]

_id = "ITEM_WEAPON_LAW_HANDGUN_02"
itemId = "ITEM.WEAPON.LAW_HANDGUN_02"
dropWeight = {}
dropWeight.CHICAGO_POLICE_COMMON = 1
dropWeight.CHICAGO_POLICE_UNCOMMON = 2.5
dropWeight.CHICAGO_POLICE_RARE = 7.5
dropWeight.CHICAGO_POLICE_EPIC = 15
dropWeight.CHICAGO_POLICE_LEGENDARY = 10
dropWeight.BUREAU_OF_PROHIBITION_COMMON = 2
dropWeight.BUREAU_OF_PROHIBITION_UNCOMMON = 5
dropWeight.BUREAU_OF_PROHIBITION_RARE = 15
dropWeight.BUREAU_OF_PROHIBITION_EPIC = 30
dropWeight.BUREAU_OF_PROHIBITION_LEGENDARY = 20
dropWeight.POLICE_STORE = 30
It seems the gun is dropped by police officers, the bureau of prohibition officers and can be bought in the police store.
This is with the current script files; I don't know how the upcoming support for modding will affect this precisely but I imagine it'd make it easier rather than harder :p

If I find myself wanting information not on the wiki and scrounging the script files for it, I'll try to add it to the wiki in the future :)
Glad to know of the possibility though! I imagine not everyone is comfortable enough with the script files to make the information in them accessible.

Last edited:
Reactions: