Empire of Sin First DLC: Make It Count

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Feeona

First Lieutenant
Paradox Staff
73 Badges
Mar 27, 2019
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Empire of Sin
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Well, crew, we have some swell news for you!

Empire of Sin's first expansion, ‘Make It Count’, launches later this year alongside the previously announced free Precinct update.

Make It Count will introduce boss Maxim Zelnick and his gangsters, the ‘Fixers.’ Play through a string of missions telling the story of Zelnick and the Fixers, unlocking game features like the Loan Sharking Racket, and more.

Make It Count Key Features
  • Maxim Zelnick - Play as the ‘Mob's Accountant,’ a boss that excels at economics and creates synergy in combat. He uses his smooth-talking to "make peace" with money and connections.
  • ‘The Fixers’ - Five gangsters are up for hire, bringing their loan sharking Racket and combat abilities. This Racket unlocks Blackmail over other characters and factions.
  • A string of missions that tell the story of Zelnick and the Fixers, unlocking game features like Loan Sharking, and more.
  • New rackets, new abilities, new gangsters and new missions- more details to come!
Cheers, bootleggers!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 12Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Loan sharking is excellent. But the Bugs and Meier Gang specialized in contract hits. This should be included.

I wish I was still interested in this game but the whole way the game was released has proven unforgivable for this casual gamer.

What I took issue with most was the play through videos months ahead of launch that made no reference to how broken the game was aside from 'this is not the latest version', which was frankly dishonest.

Now the game is finally fixed (bug-wise anyway) and we're given an invite weeks later to spend more money. I wish I had the money I paid originally - To wipe my hands clean of a game that tried some interesting ideas and just couldn't make it work. I miss Jagged Alliance Deadly Games. Now THAT was a black book with character!

I wish I was still interested in this game but the whole way the game was released has proven unforgivable for this casual gamer.

What I took issue with most was the play through videos months ahead of launch that made no reference to how broken the game was aside from 'this is not the latest version', which was frankly dishonest.

Now the game is finally fixed (bug-wise anyway) and we're given an invite weeks later to spend more money. I wish I had the money I paid originally - To wipe my hands clean of a game that tried some interesting ideas and just couldn't make it work. I miss Jagged Alliance Deadly Games. Now THAT was a black book with character!

I respect your opinion, but I do think it's shortsighted. Not many games are released now with full features and expectations being met. Sure, you could blame the developers, but the entire game community is just as much at fault with its lofty expectations and demands on release timing. You even admit yourself that the bugs are fixed. It really hasn't taken *that* much time to fix the bugs and now we are getting new features. Even before the game was released, we knew it was going to have DLCs, which will add new content. It's not like it was a surprise or anything. I really do not believe lied or anything. The gameplay we saw was always a test build and they were very honest that bugs will exist. There is no game that is released now that is bug-free. It's impossible, especially if the game is large.

I'm just confused on how you can be so bitter that the game was somewhat broken at release, and now that they fixed it, you refuse to play it or look forward to future content that will continue to make the game bigger and better. Just odd to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I respect your opinion, but I do think it's shortsighted. Not many games are released now with full features and expectations being met. Sure, you could blame the developers, but the entire game community is just as much at fault with its lofty expectations and demands on release timing. You even admit yourself that the bugs are fixed. It really hasn't taken *that* much time to fix the bugs and now we are getting new features. Even before the game was released, we knew it was going to have DLCs, which will add new content. It's not like it was a surprise or anything. I really do not believe lied or anything. The gameplay we saw was always a test build and they were very honest that bugs will exist. There is no game that is released now that is bug-free. It's impossible, especially if the game is large.

I'm just confused on how you can be so bitter that the game was somewhat broken at release, and now that they fixed it, you refuse to play it or look forward to future content that will continue to make the game bigger and better. Just odd to me.
At least he is asking the question, which means he has not given up hope. The ones you have to worry about don't post because they truly don't care. I've been around Paradox long enough to know they almost always get it right even if they stumble on day one and am happy to share that viewpoint.

Like you, I think the Devs earned some time with the announcement of their release.

It is progress in the right direction in a huge way focusing on a chain leading back to Arnold Rothstein - who single handedly brought Jewish business sense and organizational skills to violent street gangs and elevated it in a massive way. 'The Big Bankroll / The Brain / THE Fixer' was far more clever than either Joe da Boss or Joe Massaria, he still died by violence when his gambler's luck ran out. And his left and right hands - Meier Lansky and Charlie Luciano - transformed the mob forever with a little help from The Fox of Chicago when Capone chased Johnny Torrio to New York where he and Charlie got along famously.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Cool, interesting discussion.

Just to clarify a few things.

I don’t blame the devs, never said I did. It goes higher up.

I think I explained that the bitterness was down to how different the game I bought was to what they presented in the lead up to release.

Just because the game industry does this now doesn’t make it right and there are degrees of completeness. Empire of Sin wasn’t released with a few bugs, there were hundreds and it was unplayable on Switch when it released. Releasing it like that was a poor decision and I felt compelled to shared my not so shortsighted opinion because gamers have every right to complain about a practice where the greed of execs betrays the trust of consumers and gamers alike.

Being lied to turned me off to the game and it was never immersive enough to keep me playing so whatever they do to increase strategic choices is just lipstick on a pig for me.

I think I explained that the bitterness was down to how different the game I bought was to what they presented in the lead up to release.

Just because the game industry does this now doesn’t make it right and there are degrees of completeness. Empire of Sin wasn’t released with a few bugs, there were hundreds and it was unplayable on Switch when it released. Releasing it like that was a poor decision and I felt compelled to shared my not so shortsighted opinion because gamers have every right to complain about a practice where the greed of execs betrays the trust of consumers and gamers alike.

Being lied to turned me off to the game and it was never immersive enough to keep me playing so whatever they do to increase strategic choices is just lipstick on a pig for me.
You sound like a man trying to convince himself he is correct while secretly hoping he is wrong. Give it time, see what happens.

Good luck. Let's hope all shall be well. :)

You mention Switch. I think that is a major observation and the potential disconnect we may have. I have the PC version, and though it had bugs, I know it did not have nearly as many bugs as the console versions. It's interesting because I do think buying a console game and buying a PC game definitely has a different mentality in expectations and future patches/DLCs. I know when I buy a console game for my PS, I expect a pretty complete game and I rarely buy DLCs. I get flustered when the game has numerous bugs that make it unplayable. Whereas with a PC game, I'm not sure why but I just view it differently. Though I may get flustered with the bugs, I just put it on the "shelf" and play something else, while I wait for patches or mods to improve the game.

Again, I'm not saying it makes any sense, but I do think there is a huge difference between console and PC.

With that said, that also may be the reason why you feel lied to. The dev presentations leading up to release were all on PC, I believe. As it definitely was in far better shape, I understand why you would feel shorted if you expected the same for the console version.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You mention Switch. I think that is a major observation and the potential disconnect we may have. I have the PC version, and though it had bugs, I know it did not have nearly as many bugs as the console versions. It's interesting because I do think buying a console game and buying a PC game definitely has a different mentality in expectations and future patches/DLCs. I know when I buy a console game for my PS, I expect a pretty complete game and I rarely buy DLCs. I get flustered when the game has numerous bugs that make it unplayable. Whereas with a PC game, I'm not sure why but I just view it differently. Though I may get flustered with the bugs, I just put it on the "shelf" and play something else, while I wait for patches or mods to improve the game.

Again, I'm not saying it makes any sense, but I do think there is a huge difference between console and PC.

With that said, that also may be the reason why you feel lied to. The dev presentations leading up to release were all on PC, I believe. As it definitely was in far better shape, I understand why you would feel shorted if you expected the same for the console version.
Yes, very well put. There's definitely something to this and a factor I'll consider in future. Thanks Eber

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree with the points made above regarding the tolerance towards PC games (especially paradox) not being fully baked upon release and console games more generally.
What’s useful to know though for the disgruntled console players amongst us is that Paradox games get fixed and mature like fine wines over time. Unlike some console-only releases that become abandon ware when it all goes wrong (I still wish the Switch version of Mad Bullets actually worked).
Perhaps it was over ambitious to release to console simultaneously with the PC release though. I would have thought the PC release would be the perfect testing ground with the consoles getting a more mature release.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you're putting Lansky in you gotta put in Luciano!
Also like to see James "Big Jim" Colosimo and Johnny Torrio to accent Capone.
Other big names on the East coast, Joe Masseria, Salvatore Maranzano

If you're putting Lansky in you gotta put in Luciano!
Also like to see James "Big Jim" Colosimo and Johnny Torrio to accent Capone.
Other big names on the East coast, Joe Masseria, Salvatore Maranzano

They can't put in Luciano, it'll tilt the board. You use Lansky to reach Rothstein. The fact Meier is Arnold's left hand and Charlie his right is not lost upon me.

Big Jim has already been visited by Frankie Yale at his restaurant and his crates are left all over Chicago.

The Fox and Al Capone can't both exist in this scenario based on the intro of Sal and Al in the cab.

And if you bring in Joe Masseria and Salvatore Maranzano - I'll remind you Benny Siegel is the man who killed 'em both, and Meier is holding his leash.

They can't put in Luciano, it'll tilt the board. You use Lansky to reach Rothstein. The fact Meier is Arnold's left hand and Charlie his right is not lost upon me.

Big Jim has already been visited by Frankie Yale at his restaurant and his crates are left all over Chicago.

The Fox and Al Capone can't both exist in this scenario based on the intro of Sal and Al in the cab.

And if you bring in Joe Masseria and Salvatore Maranzano - I'll remind you Benny Siegel is the man who killed 'em both, and Meier is holding his leash.
Very good explanations. Although in 1920 when this game starts I believe Big Jim is still alive, only for the first half of 1920 though. Also in 1920 Capone was but an Underboss (if you would call him anything), Torrio still held his leash, not until mid 1920's if I'm not mistaken. Masseria and Rothstein both controlled New York until early 30's, Maranzano wasn't quite in the picture yet as of the start date.
You are right about Luciano being equivalent to Lansky, it is a shame they would exclude the father of organized crime though, even though Lansky is no small potatoe, maybe in the future.

Of course this only matters if the devs wanted it to be historical.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just bought the game and i enjoy playing it but have to say game miss something. DLC might change that but it is little bit sad that game does not include things like loan shark, price fight etc without buying DLC. I feel those things should be included base game.

Other thing i hope is that named gansters could recruit thugs and you could assign that group to do something. Guard, reconnaissance etc

Game is good but now we have to have these things to make it more depth and variable game experience. Also more activity to bribe and stuff for Police and government.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just bought the game and i enjoy playing it but have to say game miss something. DLC might change that but it is little bit sad that game does not include things like loan shark, price fight etc without buying DLC. I feel those things should be included base game.

Other thing i hope is that named gansters could recruit thugs and you could assign that group to do something. Guard, reconnaissance etc

Game is good but now we have to have these things to make it more depth and variable game experience. Also more activity to bribe and stuff for Police and government.
you can herd outside guards to fight huge mobs by pressing CTRL and going ambush near rackets / when in corner of the map cancel and ambush mode again

Ok, did not know that but still feel like there should be more easy way to command thugs. Maybe if security upgrade offers something else but not thugs and you had to get/recruit thugs to your payroll and then could make orders to guard or patrol etc. This might be wrong place to discuss this kind of stuff i quess, afterall this is DLC topic.