• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll see what I can do, oh Great Old One...

EDIT: And congrats for your new custom Avatar!

...and Tim O, that might be the finest compliment I have ever recieved in an AAR! Thank you!

Last edited:
Secret Stronghold of Fu Manchu
Somewhere in southern China, Pan-Asian Empire

January 30th, 1940

secret_stronghold.jpg

Fu Manchu leaned forward on his throne, resting his chin on three fingers, his elbow on his knee in a classical thinker’s pose. His high brow was slighltly creased and his penetrating green eyes rested on the couple on the floor in front of him. They seemed nervous, certainly, but that was only to be expected.

‘Do you expect me to believe that you would willingly serve me in exchange for being cured with the Elixir Vitae, Englishman?’ he asked, his voice mellow as silk and still loaded with indescribable menace.

‘No, of course not.’ James Bond answered from his wheelchair. Irene, dressed as a nurse stood behind the chair, watching in fascination the face of the Lord of Destruction.

‘I think you have enough intelligence on me to know that I would never serve you willingly,’ Bond continued. ‘I have served my country and fought you for most of my adult life. And now that my fighting days are over, what can my country do for me, to free me from this living Hell I find myself in? Nothing!’

‘So why should I cure you?’ Fu Manchu asked, although already seeing where the young crippled British officer was going.

‘As I said, I would never willingly serve you, but I also happen to know that you could hypnotise me into doing just that. That’s not too high a prize to pay to escape this prison that my body has become.’

‘Ah, I see your point, Englishman. Not only do you want me to free you from your physical disability but from your self-loathing at the same time. And in return…?’

‘I’m a spy – I’ll spy for you, from inside the very office of Nayland Smith.’

‘Hmmm… How contemptible. Very well, but how do you propose that we get you a few doses of the Elixir without arousing Nayland Smith’s suspicions?’

‘Easily; I know he has sent agents to China to try and find a sample. Simply let one of them find it.’

‘I know of the whereabouts of every one of those agents,’ Fu Manchu answered, a slight cruel smile crooking the corner of his mouth. ‘It amuses me to watch them flail about. They haven’t got the shadow of a lead to follow. But yes, I assume that would be easily arranged. Very well, I accept. It doesn’t seem I have anything too loose.’

‘Nayland Smith thinks that I’m back at the family estate. I must be returning there quickly, in case he tries to contact me.’

‘Not so quickly, my dear Mr Bond. You’ll not leave this fortress still in possession of your free will. Fah Lo Suee!’

The stunning daughter of Fu Manchu, her face perfect as a porcelain doll under it’s heavy make-up walked out from behind a heavy black curtain. As always, she was clad in a high-necked Chinese silk gown, this time in gold-trimmed red, that showed off her curves to great effect. There was no emotion in her face, and her eyes were flint-hard.

‘Father?’

‘This young man has volunteered to be brain-washed into serving us. But try to do a more thorough job than you did with that German beast? None of that love-slave rigmarole this time, please?’

‘But father! He’s a cripple! What use could he possibly be?’

‘If he’s a cripple, it’s because he was injured in the explosion YOU set off to murder Prime Minister Halifax. Did you know that, Mr Bond?’

Bond’s stared at Fah Lo Suee with unrestrained hate. ‘No, as a matter of fact, I did not!’ he muttered through clenched jaws.

‘Well, in any case, favoured daughter, I plan to use the Elixir Vitae to cure his damaged spine, after you’re done with the hypnosis.’

‘Indeed? I’m happy to hear this, Mr Bond. I certainly never intended to hurt you, and if I can contribute to your recovery, I’ll be happy to do so.’

‘I’m sure you will, Miss.’ The hate never left Bond’s eyes.

‘I grow weary of this banter! Take them away!’ Fu Manchu ordered, and a number of black-clad dacoits left the wall where they had been standing in attention to roughly push Irene and the wheelchair out of Fu Manchu’s throne room.

‘Father…’ Fah Lo Suee said once she was alone with her terrible progenitor. ‘He’s very young… what will several doses of the Elixir Vitae do to him? You always said I shouldn’t start taking it until I was fully adult?’

‘I’m not certain – probably, the effect will last a lot longer than usual, and there might be other side effects. It will be very interesting too see, in any case!’

‘You’re so evil, father!’ Fah Lo Suee said with heavy irony.

Fu Manchu laughed, and the sinister sound echoed through the dusty halls and corridors of the ancient stronghold.​

Last edited:
Walter Model said:
Really, the words :

HOI2

and

Story

Don't fit, IMO I don't really know what a storyline history kind of thing has to do with HOI2 :confused:

The obvious solution is to not read Yogi's work then.

I am, on the other hand, enjoying this AAR very much - and relish every update, scarce as they may be.

How happy am i to find something new here ! really it gives my heart great pleasure, almost as much as I would have had had you updated KNIGHTS OF THE WESTERN EMPIRE ! :eek:o :D :D

Anyway, thanks !

Walter Model: Actually, I consider HOI/HOI2 the best Paradox game for writing story-driven AARs. Consider the time-span of the games;

CK- 400 years
EU/EU2 - 400 years
Victoria - 100 years

HOI/HOI2 - 12 years (17 with Doomsday)

So clearly, HOI are the only games where you can follow the same characters throuhgout the game. Also, what kind of plotline could last for 400 years?

Of course, story-driven AARs aren't for everybody, so don't worry, I'm not discouraged.

Tskb18: Thanks for your support!

Byraxis: Thanks! I'll come around to it eventually... I'm kind of bouncing two ideas right now, trying to decide were to take that baby. BTW, did you ever get around to translating this AAR to French? ;)

cthulhu: That is the question...

boehm: My aren't we impatient. I down with the flu right now, 39 degrees fever... which means i'm off duty as far as the kids are concerned right now. On the other hand I don't feel very energetic... but I might be able to produce one more update in the next few days. :)

Last edited:
The Yogi said:
[

Byraxis: Thanks! I'll come around to it eventually... I'm kind of bouncing two ideas right now, trying to decide were to take that baby. BTW, did you ever get around to translating this AAR to French? ;)

I'm still on it, about 20 pages translated on the first part, still more than 80 to translate, but I've had a lot of work at the university ( including a radical change in the subject of my graduation thesis from greek colonies and their relations with natives to classical greek armies' logistics... ). But I keep working, as you do on your AAR !

So that explains why Bond can serve for 60+ years and never seem to get old! Very clever of you Yogi. I agree with cthulhu that the good guys have to have something up their sleave - it seems likely that Bond is a plant - but I can't think of what it might be. Hope there are more updates in the near future. :)

Another update is always nice, pity you have the flu though, that can certainly ruin one's day. Hopefully you shall shortly recover from your illness, and get back to posting frequent updates.