• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
VILenin said:
EDIT: nevermind. :rolleyes: Let that be a lesson to me for posting too quickly after the authAAR.

Chiun rocks!! :cool:
Yes, let it be a lesson. It can even be a good idea to refrain from reading a post for about half an hour after it's posted, and then refresh the page, because for some reason, I always spot a few mistakes immediately after posting, no matter how carefully I read through the post before.

anonymous4401 said:
Chiun rocks! :cool:
I’m quite fond of the nasty old bastard myself.

GoforitPanzer said:
Great update.

Skorzeny seems to have more lives than a cat!
Well, after all he’s a HERO, so him having a heroes luck is hardly surprising.

cthulhu said:
:rofl: The Master of Comedy is back. :D

Let's hope that the Crawling Chaos never learn of Chuin's insults, no matter what aspect of it... ;)
Heh. I wondered how long it would take before your erudition in the Mythos would make you realise who the Bloated Woman was… Not very long at all I see!

HJ Tulp said:
Ah, my two favourite characters in one episode again
Chiun and Skorzeny, together again for the first time!

Storey said:
I wouldn't want to be Skorzeny right now. ;)

Joe
Nor would I ever, except perhaps when Fah Lo Suee is feeling friendly. ;)

Deus said:
Silent humor.
Silent?

Korppi said:
Great to see Chiun in action:)
Best thing when not able to visit this forum for few weeks is that there are so much new updates to read:)
I’m afraid that with the intervals between updates, there won’t be that many new updates for you this time. Nevertheless, hope you like what’s coming up thirty seconds after these comments are posted!

Lyon_Man said:
Sweet. So much action and comedy smushed into one update it boggles the mind. Awesome.
Thanks, I sometimes worry that too much action in a post could make it tedious. On the other hand, the next one is not very action-packed… I hope you like it anyway!

Darks63 said:
Fine update yogi.
Thanks!

Imperial tombs of the Western Xia
Ningxia province, Pan-Asian Empire

May 5th, 1940

xixia.jpg

’Well, here we are, “Doctor Belloq”!’ Klaus Falken said with irony and threw out his hands to encompass the crude-looking stone pyramids that were the Imperial necropolis of the Western Xia dynasty. ‘Now what?’

Indiana Jones smiled, full of himself. ‘All in due time, “Professor Fauconnier”, all in good time.

“Belloq” and “Fauconnier” had been their aliases ever since they arrived in Shanghai with the French liner Normadie, carrying forged French passports and letters of introduction from the Musée national des Arts asiatiques-Guimet as procurers of antiquities with a considerable budget. The currency-starved Pan-Asian authorities, represented by the custom officials, had had very few objections to wealthy neutrals spending their cash inside the Empire. After that, their journey had been surprisingly uncomplicated. The Pan-Asian Empire had brought peace and even a measure of law and order to the Chinese interior, but the kind of Police-state control that would have made their travelling impossible in, for example, Nazi Germany was still a far cry beyond the Imperial capabilities.

The two archaeologist had taken a train from Shanghai to Yinchuan, capital of Ningxia province and there they had rented a truck and bought some digging equipment. Driving due west from Yinchuan, they had arrived in the small town of Xiganqu, in the foothills of the Helan mountains, where they had found cheap lodging in a local flophouse and some local farm boys to help with any digging. The next day, they had driven the short distance to the ancient Imperial necropolis of the Tangut, or Western Xia Empire. And still Falken had no idea of exactly what they were looking for.

‘Wich one is the tomb of Li Xian, Emperor Modi?’, Indy asked, letting his gaze wander from from one pyramid-like mound of stones to another.

Falken, like Indy dressed in a leather jacket, wide-brimmed hat, sturdy pants and laced mountain boots, barely needed to consider the question before pointing at one pyramid, markedly smaller than the others. Not for nothing was he the leading expert in the world on these tombs, which he had visited in the late -20s.

‘Emperor Modi? That one – but now I’ve had it with your mysteriousness, Indy! Ever since we left Mexico, you’ve kept me guessing about why you think you’ll find the real tomb of Genghis Khan here, of all places. I’ve come this far on faith alone I’ve stayed away from drink… well, except for that unfortunate calvados binge on the Normandie… but considering I had spent the better part of two years pickling myself, I think a lapse or two was only to be expected. Don’t you think I deserve some answers?’

Indy said nothing at first, but led Falcon and the four Chinese diggers towards the indicated pyramidoid structure.

‘All right, I guess I have savoured it enough. Here’s my idea: Li Xian, the last Western Xia Emperor ruled in the Tangut capital while army of Genghis Khan besieged it, and when he surrendered, it was only to be executed. His tomb was then used to hide that of Genghis Khan.’

‘Please, elucidate all you want!’ Falken said with shining eyes. ‘For the world I wouldn’t miss to hear how you reached THAT conclusion, considering that Genghis died in Sichuan, not here, and BEFORE the execution of Li Xian.’

‘You know your field, Professor. Yes, Genghis had left a third of his army to besiege Ningxia, detached a corps under Ögedei against the Jin Chinese and led the remainder against the Song Chinese in Sichuan, where he died. The body, presumably in that fancy silver coffin I saw in New York, was brought back to his homeland to be interred. And it’s approximately around then when Ögedei Khan suddenly decides to have Li Xian, the captive Western Xia Emperor, executed. Do you see what I’m thinking, Professor Falken?’

The German frowned, thinking deeply for a second or two. ‘So you’re saying that when the funeral caravan reached this place, the body of Genghis was taken out of the silver coffin and buried here in the Western Xia necropolis, after which the unfortunate Li Xian was bumped off and buried, with his customary pyramid, on top of Genghis’s tomb in order to hide it?’

Indy smiled happily. ‘Shifty of him, wasn’t it?’ Turning to the chinese diggers, he shouted in passable Mandarin. ‘We’ll set up camp over there, and then we’ll start digging in deep under that pyramid!’

Falken was glad Indy seemed entirely preoccupied with the upcoming dig. During the voyage, he had been very depressed at the news from the war, where the United States now not only had lost control of Los Angeles and San Diego, but the Pan-Asians had broken through at Sacramento and kept pushing north along the West Coast. America was in dire peril indeed. Falken decided to “forget” to pack up the radio. It would do his friend good to forget about anything but archaeology for a few days.

****​

A few hours into the second day, one of the Chinese diggers sprang up from the pit snaking in under Li Xian’s modest pyramid.

‘The Honourable Doctor Belloq! Come quickly! We have found a wall!’ he shouted in Mandarin.

Indy and Falken quickly moved into the tunnel, which was suddenly cleared of Chinese peasants. Sure enough, behind a residual caking of dry, white earth, a decrepit brick wall was apparent at the end of the tunnel.

‘Break it down!’ Indy ordered, but the peasant boy shook his head, paling.

‘Honourable Doctor, I, your insignificant servant, regret to say that it’s very bad luck to break into the tombs of the Emperor’s of Old!’

'I can't argue with that...' Indy muttered in English, before turning to other archaeologist. ‘Do you think this is what we’re looking for, Professor Fauconnier?’ Indy asked, as always when in front of Pan-Asians, in French. Both scholars could easily read medieval French manuscripts, but their spoken modern French wasn’t quite on par with their understanding of the written language. Indy’s wasn’t quite as bad as Falken’s but odds were that the Chinese wouldn’t spot the accent anyway, given that the odds that they understood the language at all were slim.

Falken nodded. ‘It’s clearly under the tomb of Emperor Li Xian. I don’t know that it is a tomb or if it is, who’s buried there but it can’t be a Western Xian Emperor. Their tombs don’t go this deep – I would know, I’ve excavated a few of them.’

Indy turned back to the frowning digger and sighed. ‘Oh, all right, here’s your pay. Tell the others to come collect theirs too.’

Seeing the five Jiao notes in Indy’s hand, the farmboy brightened considerably. ‘Thank you, Doctor Belloq! Good Luck!’

After an improvised pay line had formed and dissolved and Indy had paid out five Jiao to each, he and Falken were left alone at the entrance to the pit, while the diggers marched off singing happily.

‘Very considerate of you, Doctor Jones.’, Falken said dryly. ‘Of course, this means we’ll have to break down the wall ourselves.’

‘I wouldn’t have it any other way, Professor Falken. Let’s get to it.’

An hour later, the pickaxes had finished their destructive labour and the brick wall crashed inwards, letting out a jet of foul-smelling air.

Indy leaned into the opening with his electric torch. ‘Now I know how Howard Carter must have felt!’ he said eagerly.

To his dismay, the cone of light illuminated only another brick wall about a metre distant. Looking left and right, the space between the two walls ended wit a turn. A check of the roof proved the roof to be made up of narrow vaults. Indy frowned in puzzlement. ‘What is this?’

‘It’s a passageway surrounding the burial chamber itself!’ Falken whispered. ‘A bit like an Egyptian Russian-doll sarcophagus!’

‘But what would be the point?’

Falken didn’t answer, but began to pull down more stones from the edge of the hole. Carefully, but with barely restrained eagerness, the two archaeologists enlarged the hole in the wall until they could both walk through.

‘Careful now!’ Indy whispered, despite knowing that nothing could very well hear him inside the tomb. ‘An ancient tomb can be a very deadly place, and doubly so if it was constructed by who I think. Stay behind me and let me make sure it’s safe. Don’t touch anything!’

‘Fine Indy, this kind of thing is your area of expertise, after all.’

Picking one direction at random, Indy walked right, very slowly and checking the stone-tiled floor, the walls the roof for every step. The place was completely unadorned, which spoke against an imperial tomb, but he saw a series of orange-sized holes in the roof he didn’t like. Still, directing the beam of the torch into them revealed nothing except that they turned to run parallel with the curvature of the roof after some ten centimetres. As he advanced, nothing came out of them – no burning acid, no poisonous cloud of gas, nothing.

After a few metres he reached a corner and immediately saw that the professor had been right: on the left hand wall, there was an opening leading into an inner chamber. Feeling his heart pound savagely in his chest, Indy peered through the opening with his electric light.

Now the cone of light illuminated a square, low-ceilinged room with the roof supported by thick and crude-looking pillars. In the middle was a large stone sarcophagus with a heavy lid in the same material still in place. Unlike Attila’s tomb, the walls were plain, unadorned.

‘The tomb is untouched!’ Falken breathed. ‘Finally, we’ll know!’

Indy put a restraining hand in front of Falkens chest. ‘Wait! There must be something deadly here, I just know it! Give me a second to check it out.’

Again, with all senses straining to find a clue to the traps he assumed must be protecting the grave, Indy circled the room. Apart from more of the ubiquitous round openings in the roof, he saw nothing. One thing drew his attention away from the search for hidden traps: on the lid of the sarcophagus, two carved Chinese ideograms proudly proclaimed the identity of the occupant: “Lord of the Earth” – Genghis Khan!

Finally, Indy decided there weren’t any traps, or at least not any he’d be able to find before he triggered them.

‘Allright, I think it’s clear. Come and give me a hand with the lid – it looks like it could weigh a tonne.’

The lid, like the sarcophagus, was made of rough, barely polished limestone and thick as an outstreched hand from the tip of the fingers to the wrist. Grunting with effort, the two archaeologists pushed it aside with a deep, scraping sound of stone grinding against stone.

It became immediately apparent that there was no body in the sarcophagus, just four small piles of ochre powder lay at the bottom. Indy also noticed several blocks of carved scripture on the inner surfaces of the sarcophagus – he immediately recognised Han characters, as well as Greek and Latin letters, but there were at least two sets of characters he found utterly alien and somewhat disturbing.

‘What is this…?’ Falken mused. ‘Could the body have been cremated and these are the ashes?’

‘It doesn’t look like it, there are no obvious bone fragments…’ Indy replied. ‘And look at the writing… I think this is like a Rosetta stone – the same message written in different languages… except…’

Falken shook his head. ‘No, not different languages, just different characters or letters. As far as I can tell, it’s the same words written in different manners… Except I don’t understand a word of it. Let’s read it aloud: You go with the latin or greek text and I’ll read the Han, see if it rings any bells for any one of us:’

‘Right, here goes…’ Indy said and both scholars began to read what soon began to sound like some sort of incantation:

‘OGTHROD AI’F
GEB’L – EE’H
YOG-SOTHOTH
‘NGAH’NG AI’Y
ZHRO!’

As they concluded the incantation, suddenly the air grew bitterly cold and dry, as if all moisture and warmth had been drawn out of it. Hardly had Indy closed his mouth before he shouted out a horrified curse and jumped back from the sarcophagus, drawing Falken with him. It was just barely enough to avoid the dripping fangs of the four large, hissing cobras that had suddenly and inexplicably replaced the piles of powder at the bottom of the sarcophagus over which Indy and Falken had been hunched moments ago.

‘Where the Hell did those come from?!’ Indy shouted, shivering from both shock and cold. ‘And who turned off the damn heater!?’ There were clouds forming in front of his mouth and nose.

‘Uh-oh… Indy, look!’ Falken said, pointing at the holes in the roof.

Staring in horrified fascination, Indy watched as out of every opening slithered a great snake similar to those in the sarcophagus. As their heads emerged from the hole, it dragged the rest of the body with it and the snakes fell to the ground in a horrid form of slithering, hissing and angrily snapping rain. The archaeologists recoiled in horror from the nearest snake, finding a spot which for the moment was out of reach of the ophidians.

‘Snakes!’ Indy wailed, swinging his electric torch about with wild eyes. ‘Why does it always have to be snakes!?’​

Last edited:
Excellent update... But it appalls me that I haven't been following this AAR from the beginning. So much to read to catch up...

Finally.... another update.... *drools uncontrollably*

A little inspiration from Snakes on a plane perhaps yogi??

edit: Can I take this appearance as a sign that ur other AARs will be updated as well in the near future???

My sympathies to Indy, he always seems to run into those blasted snakes. ;) Doesn't sound like the Americans are doing well against the Pan-Asians, though. I hope the fortunes of war change soon.

Korppi said:
yay new updatee:)
And nice to see Indy
And here goes another one!

Deus said:
The Yogi: Yep, Silent. Not audible. It makes me laugh inside (since I share the room at my workplace with 2 other people)
Get it. LOS, not LOL. :)

Le Ran said:
Excellent update... But it appalls me that I haven't been following this AAR from the beginning. So much to read to catch up...
There are the PDF, see my sig. Think of it this way – there you have an AAR to read which is updated as often as you want!

Anyway, for your benefit, and that of all other which by now might have lost track of this plotline, the upcoming update will include a summing up by Indy himself.

Max A said:
I'm getting tired of these damn snakes!
So is Indy!

HJ Tulp said:
Great stuff! You are truly a master Yogi :)
Thank you very much, I’m happy you liked it.

Jape said:
Pure gold Yogi!
My readership is, that’s for sure.

Darks63 said:
What a great trap make the intruders kill themselves.:D
Yeah, I kind of liked it myself. But it has drawbacks, as will be apparent.

cthulhu said:
I look forward to see how Indy and Falken will get out of this little pickle of a situation. :D
And so you shall, thirty seconds after this is post.

stixloo said:
Finally.... another update.... *drools uncontrollably*

A little inspiration from Snakes on a plane perhaps yogi??

edit: Can I take this appearance as a sign that ur other AARs will be updated as well in the near future???
Nope, haven’t seen it. The inspiration comes more from “Raiders of The Lost Ark”, when they break into the crypt where the ark is hidden.

And no, alas. I have nothing coming up for TEATL or KOTWE right now.

lifeless said:
an update! heh heh i thought indy loved snakes :p
Heh heh heh.

VILenin said:
My sympathies to Indy, he always seems to run into those blasted snakes. ;) Doesn't sound like the Americans are doing well against the Pan-Asians, though. I hope the fortunes of war change soon.
Hope, as all readers of my AARs probably have come to appreciate, is the last thing that dies.

And now, the story continues!

Last edited:
Imperial tombs of the Western Xia
Ningxia province, Pan-Asian Empire

May 5th, 1940

xixia.jpg

’We can’t get out!’ Indy shouted, seeing the crawling mass of snakes at the entrance. ‘They’re everywhere!’

‘Quickly!’ Falken shouted, ‘help me to close the lid again!’

Not wasting any time with questions, the two archaeologists moved around the coffin, nervously looking where they put their feet, and pushed the heavy stone lid back, entombing the four large cobras inside.

‘Get up on it!’ Falken began to say, but Indy had already done so before he managed to say "up".

‘Safe… for the moment!’ Indy said. ‘But there’s still no way out of here. And we have no food and water, we won’t last long. Hmmm… maybe I could kill some of the snakes with my whip from up here…’

‘Are you sure we’d die if bitten?’ Falken wondered.

‘Dead certain. Those are Hamadryads, or King Cobras, which by the way are a favourite of my main suspect. If we just ran for it, we’d be dead before we even reached the tunnel.’

‘I can get us out of here,’ Falken said, suddenly smiling.

‘You can? How!?’

The German shook his head. ‘Ah no, now it’s my turn to be mysterious. But I can tell you that we must wait a while before I can put my plan in motion. Meanwhile, why don’t you tell me of your theory, I’m dying to hear it.’

Indy rolled his eyes. ‘Falken, this is not the time or place to…’

Falken’s smile never disappeared. ‘Annoying, isn’t it? But I insist!’

Indy groaned, looked about at the milling, slithering carpet of snakes, and then shrugged. ‘Oh, why not? We’re not going anywhere it seems.’

‘I’m listening.’

‘All right, but be prepared to accept some pretty wild ideas. And there is evidence I can’t show you, you’ll simply have to believe I’m telling you the truth.’

‘Less caveats, more telling. And turn off that torch, we’ll need it charged later.’

‘Right. Ok, back in 1935, I got hired by Sir Dennis Nayland Smith, who I didn’t know at the time, to recover a priceless diamond – which by the way was known as the “Genghis Khan diamond”, keep that in mind. It had been exorbitantly insured by Anglo-Oriental Insurances Ltd, which would be ruined by the insurance fees and so this club buddy of Sir Dennis stood to loose his company and his fortune.’

‘So he asked you to get it back.’

‘So he asked me to get it back. It didn’t take me long to find evidence that the theft had been by masterminded by a Shanghai mobster called Lao Che, who I later learnt was a local boss of the Si-Fan. It turned out Lao Che was not dead set against giving back the diamond, but in return he wanted the ashes of the founder of the Manchu dynasty – Emperor Nurhaci. These were interred in a mausoleum in Japanese-held territory. I won’t bore you with the details of what I had to go through to get hold of the ashes, but it wasn’t easy, believe me.’

‘I do, I do. So did you get the diamond?’

‘No, the rotten scumbag double-crossed me, poisoned me and kept the ashes. Later I learnt that the thefts of both the diamond and the ashes had been ordered by none other than Fu Manchu, head of the Si-Fan and now also Prime Minister of the Pan-Asian Empire.’

‘Why?’

‘That was always my question. Well, the diamond is priceless, so it’s hardly a mystery that a crime-lord like him would want it, but why the ashes? This was the first piece of the puzzle.’

‘And the next?’

‘That came much later. I stumbled on the realisation that a great many of our colleagues for the last forty years or so had died from other than natural causes. I asked around a bit, and discovered that many, if not all, had been about to embark on expeditions to find the hidden tombs of Attila the Hun OR that of Genghis Khan.’

‘Ah. So that’s why you immediately set out and found the tomb of Attila in Hungary. I read about that in the papers while I was in Mexico. Amazing exploit, my friend. Amazing. Although I was never clear on how it was that you did find it.’

‘You don’t know the half of it. You see, I figured that if archaeologists were being killed to prevent them from searching, then the tomb couldn’t be that hard to find, or why bother? So I simply asked around a bit about stories associated with Attila and got a really good lead from a gypsy chieftain – not only did he know about a monument in Transylvania called the “Pillar of Attila” but he also had a theory – accurate as it turned out – on it’s connection with the King of the Huns. And so I found the tomb under an old river-bed.’

‘But the body had decayed completely due to the water of the river, I read the papers, yes.’

‘No. That was all bollocks. The coffin was in a dry, preserved crypt - with an exit, mind you - that the press never heard a word about. The body shouldn’t have vanished. Furthermore, there were frescoes in the crypt, frescoes in which Attila was portrayed by skilled Roman painters – and apart from his eye colour, it turns out he was the spitting image of none other than, oh yes, FU MANCHU!’

‘No?!’

‘Yes! By now I had a pretty wild theory, which fitted the facts I had, but I needed more evidence, and so I went ahead with this little project, to see if I could find the body of Genghis Khan.’

‘And the sarcophagus we sit on is empty.’

‘Right. Which fits my theory like a glove.’

‘Which is…?’ Falken asked, hanging on Indy’s every word.

‘According to Nayland Smith, thanks to a secret Elixir Vitae Fu Manchu is not less than a hundred-and-some years old, even though he seems to be in the prime of his life. We know he tangled with Sherlock Holmes long before the Great War. So what I’m thinking is that Fu is much, much older than that.’

‘Are you saying what I think you are?’

‘Yes. I think that Fu Manchu IS Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Emperor Nurhaci and probably a few other eastern conquerors – Tamerlane springs to mind. His tomb in Samarkand has never been excavated. I think that he faked his deaths and arranged to be buried alive, always making sure that there was a way out of his tomb. Otherwise, he might have been taken for a warlock and killed, burnt or whatever. I’m certain that if chemically examined, the ashes of Nurhaci will prove to be nothing but normal wooden ash, and Fu wanted to make sure nobody could do that – hence he had them stolen in preparation for his return to power. Also, Siwan Khan, the Pan-Asian viceroy in America, claims to be the last descendant of Genghis Khan, although all other sources point to him being the son of Fu Manchu. It fits.’

‘Wait, wait, in the case of Attila, that makes no sense. Why would Attila choose to end his career at it’s peak? And wasn’t there any traps in his tomb?’

Indy shook his head. ‘No, there wasn’t. And actually, the way out of that tomb could have been used to let out the painters of the frescoes, since they seem to have been made after the river was made to flood over the crypt. And there is the detail of his eye colour… maybe… maybe it was then that he became immortal? Maybe the poison Ildico gave him made him seem dead, a bit like in “Romeo and Juliet”? And turned his eyes green? Then, when the poison wore off, he woke up in his tomb and got out the way the painters had?’

‘Look, if we find a secret exit out of THIS tomb, then I’ll at least consider the possibility that you’re right. For now, turn on the torch. It’s about time we get out of here.’

‘How?’ Indy said and hugged himself, shivering. ‘The snakes didn’t suddenly decide to go party somewhere else, did they?’

Falken smiled. ‘Hardly. But they’re snakes, reptiles, cold-blooded, and it’s damn chilly in here. The temperature has risen some, but I’d estimate that it couldn’t be above one or two degrees centigrade. And what do cold-blooded reptiles do when it’s freezing?’

‘They… go inactive, dormant!’ Indy shouted and turned on the electric torch. Sure enough, the floor was covered with unmoving ophidians. ‘We can just walk out of here!’

Aber naturlich!’ Falken said with a smile. ‘After you, Doctor Jones!’

‘With so much pleasure, Professor Falken!’ the American replied, before gingerly stepping down from the sarcophagus and tiptoeing out of the crypt.

On the opposite side of the corridor circling the crypt, they found the entrance to a collapsed tunnel the inclination of which made it likely it had once led to the surface.​

Last edited:
I must say I find it fascinating to learn more about Fu's background. All these years of gaining wisdom and skill makes one realize that he is even more dangerous than we could have imagined... :eek:

Last edited:
Excellent set of updates, Yogi, I really enjoyed them.

Now can Fu Manchu really be stopped after nearly 2000 years of preparing for world take-over?? :eek:

The Yogi said:
There are the PDF, see my sig. Think of it this way – there you have an AAR to read which is updated as often as you want!
I just updated the pdf with the last few chapters.
So if anyone wants to read the AAR offline, you can download/open it at:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/21/139721/empire_of_fu_manchu.pdf
It's about 5 MB in size.