• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER XXI: THE GREAT WAR

The City of Lights Goes Dark

When the Germans assaulted their former British allies across the Orient, German troops also stormed west and swept across France in a desperate bid to capture Paris as quickly as possible. As always, Germany wanted the war concluded by Christmas. Although tensions were high and concerns apparent, French forces were also caught flat-footed by Germany’s lightning strike. French troops still stationed in Italy and across Italian North Africa could only read newspapers and listen to the rare radio in horror as their beloved fatherland was being invaded by the barbaric “Huns.”

German troops rapidly fanned across northern France and then reorganized for a concentrated assault on Paris. The French put up a noble resistance, but Paris fell on September 19 to the German juggernaut. French forces called up from North Africa were racing north and Italy, jumping for joy at the turn of events, pressed against the early British and French peace claims. Italy saw the sudden change of events as an opportunity to save its crumbling empire. The last thing that Britain and France needed now, was to continue its occupation of Italian territory across North Africa and Northern and Southern Italy. Italy petitioned for a complete restoration of the Italian homeland with only minor losses to its African holdings; both sides were happy. The allies because they needed to rapidly free up forces for the new war with Germany and the Italians because it preserved their great power status; their North African empire remained, by and large, intact. Italy was entirely preserved. And the sudden resurgence of Italian integrity warded off Austrian gazing.

AgY5BYg.jpg

Paris, abandoned as the Germans closed in on the city.

The War for Righteousness

As America declared war and joined the Allied war effort in Europe on November 19, 1914. A strong wave of anti-German sentiment that rocked the country. Although many patriotic German-Americans were among the first to sign up for the war, to prove their patriotism and loyalty to the United States, at the recruiting offices German-Americans who had last names sound “too German-like” had them changed to more Americanized (English) names. The nascent film industry and radio depicted Germany as a cruel and vindictive place. Music from men like Beethoven and Mozart were banned across America. Even German foods were renamed.

The strongest wing in American society that promoted the war effort was the American clergy associated with the pro-reform Social Gospel movement. American Protestant clergymen were quick to highlight Christ as the Suffering Servant, who would bear the iniquities of the world on his shoulders and die so that the world could be saved. This rhetoric explicitly identified the salvationist cause of Christ with the cause of the United States. It was an interesting cross of gospel and democratic politics into a new state religion. The United States should, and must, suffer so that the salvation of the twin pillars of democracy and liberalism could be preserved (it is important to remember that the development of democracy and liberalism is closely tied to the Protestant Reformation moreover than the Ancient Greeks). Thus, the power of institutional religion gave America her needed jolt to become enthusiastic about the war and fighting for the preservation of God, democracy, and an entire way of life!

vQbNQMN.jpg

The headline of the New York American joyfully proclaiming the message that the United States had declared war on Germany.

Indeed, the Great War was itself incorporated into the entire spirit and age of reform. This war, was itself, a manifestation of the reforming spirit. Now was the opportunity to reform the world from war, rid its possibility from existence. The war also posed the opportunity to reform political-societies and economies along liberal-parliamentarian and democratic lines with regulated, to be sure, middle-class enterprise the driving engine of economic growth instead of large corporations and trading monopolies.

Richard Gamble put it this way:

Primarily, these religious progressives interpreted the First World War in light of their social gospel theology. The liberal clergy were not merely lackeys in the [Roosevelt] administration’s attempt at social control, nor were they caught unaware and unprepared by the outbreak of the war; rather, these forward-looking clergy embraced the war as a chance to achieve their broadly defined social gospel objectives. In the same way that American imperialism at the turn of the century was, as historian William E. Leuchtenburg argued, not a betrayal of domestic reform idealism but rather the expression of the same expansive, interventionist spirit on an international scale, so too the progressive clergy’s enthusiasm for American participation in the Great War did not contradict their progressive theology.

In fact, all sectors of American society were mobilized by Roosevelt to guide America into the war and have her play the redemptive and leading role in democratic progressivism’s triumph. Churches, as already mentioned, were the leading champions of the war for democracy and cleansing the “Huns” and “Judases” (based on Germany’s betrayal of the allies) from Europe. Businesses and economics were reorganized along war-lines, the peace economy was only ever fairly regulated; now, the war economy would be an intimate participant with government programming and action. Nature itself was enlisted as a victim to be saved. Given Roosevelt’s conservationist policies, the Roosevelt Administration propagated imagery of nature dilapidated and destroyed at the hands of Krupp guns and German aggression. The shipping industry was also mobilized; the war and its buildup gave Roosevelt the blank check needed to formalize America’s new naval preeminence that was stymied by the Bryan Administration. The agrarian economy, long the bastion of populist politics and sentiment, could be collectivized for the war effort. The mass media too was enlisted to drum up support for the war. ENLIST! PATRIOTIC DUTY! GOD’S CALL! All such headlines swept the front pages of the newspapers. Even music, theatre, and art was called upon to send Captain America “over there!”

In one sweeping move, the progressives finally had the opportunity to orchestrate the reorganization of the United States along the progressive, urban, middle-class, internationalist, and industrial lines long sought but prevented by their populist and agrarian foes. The “new nationalism” would be the middle-class urban, forward-looking, social Protestantism championed by America’s intelligentsia and embodied by the spirit of Roosevelt himself. “We stand at Armageddon, and battle for the LORD!”[1]

[1] In real life, Roosevelt said this quote during his convention speech in 1912 when standing as the Progressive Party candidate for the Presidency.

SUGGESTED READING

Richard Gamble,
The War for Righteousness: Progressive Christianity, the Great War, and the Rise of the Messianic Nation

• 2Like
Reactions:
how strange is the catastrophe in Europe is causing this major overhauling of the American empire. Let's see how the society will shape up according to the change of the economy

America: Germany, how dare you!? The scheming, back-stabbing... naked audacity of the thing!

Britain and France, desperately cleaning away evidence of their own scheming: Yeah... Germany... How could you?

This should be interesting. With no Russian front, and Paris under their control already, Germany must surely think they have it in the bag. I suspect they've severely underestimated the extent to which their sudden, but inevitable, betrayal has mobilised the Allies. Pearl Harbor on a multinational scale.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
One wonders what effect exactly this buffed up association between America and Christus Patiens will have in peacetime, if indeed it carries over. The American imperial mission gaining a renewed sense of divine self righteousness is, well… frightening.

The note on Roosevelt's mobilisation of natural imagery is interesting, too. A strange sort of incipient econationalism on the way?

how strange is the catastrophe in Europe is causing this major overhauling of the American empire. Let's see how the society will shape up according to the change of the economy
Strange war, and shall be a strange finish! :eek:
America: Germany, how dare you!? The scheming, back-stabbing... naked audacity of the thing!

Britain and France, desperately cleaning away evidence of their own scheming: Yeah... Germany... How could you?

This should be interesting. With no Russian front, and Paris under their control already, Germany must surely think they have it in the bag. I suspect they've severely underestimated the extent to which their sudden, but inevitable, betrayal has mobilised the Allies. Pearl Harbor on a multinational scale.
God bless propaganda! :cool: And America being on the British and French side! ;) We'll write the history books, with the exception of this one, of course, without detailing that stuff about backstabbing the Germans from the British and French side...
One wonders what effect exactly this buffed up association between America and Christus Patiens will have in peacetime, if indeed it carries over. The American imperial mission gaining a renewed sense of divine self righteousness is, well… frightening.

The note on Roosevelt's mobilisation of natural imagery is interesting, too. A strange sort of incipient econationalism on the way?
Is there any better brand of nationalism than frontier econationalism? :p

Well, the 1916 election is still coming. And perhaps like 1945 in the UK, there will be a big battle -- pardon the pun -- over "winning" the peace. But we still have to get there.

IV

“Over There”

As mentioned, America’s entry into the Great War after the German Betrayal of the allies afforded the Roosevelt Administration and the progressive forces in American politics to burry the populists and complete their reformation of the United States along techno-urban lines akin to what Alexander Hamilton—their hidden god—had always envisioned. This didn’t just mean political economy. It also meant culture.

Cities are, of course, the great repositories of culture. Cities, thus, are always on the front line of the battle between civilization and barbarism. Cities house the priceless works of art and culture that manifested the spirit of any and all peoples. The Great War, therefore, opened up the possibility of an American cultural renewal and rebirth. Enter George Cohan.

George Cohan was one of America’s most celebrated entertainers and composers. After George Gershwin, Cohan was one of America’s foremost musicians and rockstars in the first two decades of the twentieth century. Born in Rhode Island on July 3, 1878, Cohan hailed from a Catholic family making him an important figure in the ingratiation of Catholics into the Anglo-Protestant American establishment. Originally writing skits for vaudeville and minstrel shows, Cohan emerged as a crafty lyricist with his popular songs “You’re a Grand Old Flag” and “The Yankee Doodle Boy.”

As one of America’s foremost popular lyricists, Roosevelt, in leading the United States into war—a war “to save Europe and civilization itself”—he reached out to Cohan (among many other members of America’s growing cultural scene) to enlist their services for artistic propaganda. So Cohan, in the White House, was given a commission to draft a song to inspire young men to enlist and fight in Europe. Cohan, ever the creative genius and upbeat melodist, crafted that indelible B-flat song sending young men off to war with gaiety and clouding the mechanical horror of war that the United States should have known all too well from its own Civil War:

Johnny, get your gun, get your gun, get your gun.
Take it on the run, on the run, on the run.
Hear them calling you and me,
Every Son of Liberty.
Hurry right away, no delay, go today.
Make your Daddy glad to have had such a lad.
Tell your sweetheart not to pine,
To be proud her boy's in line.

Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word over there
That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming
The drums rum-tumming everywhere.
So prepare, say a prayer,
Send the word, send the word to beware –
We'll be over, we're coming over,
And we won't come back till it's over, over there.

Johnny, get your gun, get your gun, get your gun.
Johnny, show the “Hun” you're a son-of-a-gun.
Hoist the flag and let her fly
Yankee Doodle do or die.
Pack your little kit, show your grit, do your bit.
Yankee to the ranks from the towns and the tanks.
Make your Mother proud of you
And the old red-white-and-blue.

Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word over there
That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming
The drums rum-tumming everywhere.
So prepare, say a prayer,
Send the word, send the word to beware –
We'll be over, we're coming over,
And we won't come back till it's over, over there.

Cohan’s song, itself, was the perfect embodiment of the new progressive optimism. The song itself is optimistic. It marches to an exuberance and liveliness unlike the sadness of older Civil War era songs. The world was open to the progressives. It was theirs to be won. Theirs to be literally conquered and shaped into a new mold. Everyone had a role to play.

With French and British forces on the run, American forces began landing in Brest in March of 1915. The task of the American Expeditionary Forces was to strengthen the depleted allied front line that had stabilized itself in the Centre-Val de Loire along the Loire Valley. The magnificent chateaus of the ancien regime still stood. Imposing historical structures reminding everyone what the allies were fighting for—or so they told everyone.

jzRHpLc.jpg

American soldiers landing in Brest, spring 1915.

The American forces, by mid-April, had entrenched themselves with the battered but not yet defeated French troops who were still hanging on by a thread. The spring would see a renewed effort of the German High Command to strike at the heart of the allied forces and break through to Nantes and La Rochelle and cut France in half, isolating the American gathering point at Brest from the depleted French and African forces in the south. It was a race against time. The beaten and sick French, British, and colonial troops in France were teetering on the verge of complete exhaustion and morale degradation. The pride of France, Paris, was occupied by Germans. The Arc de Triomphe no longer saw the parade of proud and, we must admit, overly self-conceited, French soldiers march beneath it. Instead, German soldiers marched beneath it off to the front as if mocking everything the French associated with the monument.

As the first 120,000 American soldiers took their places along French and British soldiers during the Easter lull of 1915, it wasn’t much longer until a new baptism by fire was to be unleashed. Over 800,000 German troops, exhausted and tired to be sure, but crack, experienced, and enthusiastic, were about to unleash their torrential downpour of artillery, grenades, and rifles into the allied lines. When the Germans unleashed their attacks, a young officer named Ernst Junger recalled during the early morning surprise attack that broke the allies to flight:

A bloody scene with no witnesses was about to happen. It was a relief to me, finally, to have the foe in front of me and within reach. I set the mouth of the pistol at the man’s temple – he was too frightened to move – while my other fist grabbed hold of his tunic, feeling medals and badges of rank. An officer; he must have held some command post in these trenches. With a plaintive sound, he reached into his pocket, not to pull out a weapon, but a photograph which he held up to me. I saw him on it, surrounded by numerous family, all standing on a terrace. It was a plea from another world. Later, I thought it was blind chance that I let him go and plunged onward. That one man of all often appeared in my dreams. I hope that meant he got to see his homeland again.[1]

The countdown to the apocalypse had begun. As American soldiers would taste their first lick of combat in the Old World armageddon, many a soldier went into battle with the words of Psalm 91 on their lips:

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

[1] Ernst Junger, Storm of Steel.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Fantastic update, @volksmarschall ! I am a sucker for cultural references so what a joy to get a treatment of “Over There”. (Incidentally, having never before heard the tune, I was unaware that it was this song that a certain British insurance comparison website had pilfered it for their own, rather more irritating jingle!)

One hopes for the sake of the lads at the front that Tin Pan Alley will not be switching mood to this for a while yet :D

Fantastic update, @volksmarschall ! I am a sucker for cultural references so what a joy to get a treatment of “Over There”. (Incidentally, having never before heard the tune, I was unaware that it was this song that a certain British insurance comparison website had pilfered it for their own, rather more irritating jingle!)

One hopes for the sake of the lads at the front that Tin Pan Alley will not be switching mood to this for a while yet :D
Ha! This is great! Thanks for sharing Densley. Too bad, if I might reveal disappointment on the high seas, that I did not share a major battle with the RN against the Germans. If so, I would have to write a chapter about the heroics of an imaginary HMS Thunderchild! Most famous ship that never existed.

(It's my favorite track, followed by the Spirit of Man):

• 1Like
Reactions:

V
Retreat and Return

The German Spring Offensive of 1915 was brutal. In under a week, the Germans had broken through the allied front lines and were making a dash for Nantes. American forces still gathering in Brest were diverted south to stop the German advance. It was now or never.

In the Middle East, overwhelming British, Indian, and Arab revolutionary forces were retaking Mesopotamia and pushing on Jerusalem. It was the one bright spot of the war. But everyone knew that the war wasn’t going to be won in the Middle East. It was going to be won, here and now, along the Loire River and the Loire Valley. German soldiers were breaking through the front and French forces, with their British counterparts, all but demoralized and routing en masse. American forces were the last citadel of civilization, the final wall against the German thrust.

German commanders knew the stakes too. They needed their decisive blow before the Yanks arrived. President Roosevelt himself was promising to arrive on horseback and lead the troops to the front. Such bravado was meant to inspire not merely the Americans but the British and French who had been slugging it out, first with the Italians and Russians, and now the Germans, in this war of twists, turns, and betrayals.

America’s military experience, however, was to its own benefit. While the Great War had shattered the last visage of honor and nobility that gripped European powers in their arrogance—though no long evaporated—the American experience in the Civil War and the various Mexican Wars taught the US military the importance of maneuver and the futility of frontal attacks.

The Germans had learned too, painfully from their experiences of having to turn against their former allies, of the importance of decentralized offense. The plains of Russia were also drawn into their final push for victory. With Paris under control, the German High Command believed that a sweeping offensive to Nantes would blow the will of the allies. The French and British, already exhausted from years of war, were ready to capitulate. So the Germans believed. And nearly right they were.

sVDHOj6.jpg

German stormtroopers at the onset of the Spring 1915 Offensive. German stormtrooper tactics were highly effective in 1915 despite the odds against them.

As such, the German Army put most of its weight along its right flank. To break the Franco-American defenses, capture Nantes, then swing and seize Brest and cut off the main port of entry for the American army, was the German goal. By annihilating the small American army already in France, then seizing the American army at Brest and, more importantly, its port, would demoralize the Franco-British army into mutiny. The French government, already reeling, would collapse and come to terms. The European continent, already in the throes of revolution in Russia, exhaustion in Italy and Central Europe, destruction in France, would at last be a German citadel. The dreams of Fichte, Hegel, and Nietzsche could finally be realized in a spirited people attaining their destiny of providence and superhuman excellence.

When the German Army launched its ambitious spring offensive in 1915, the Germans screened their offensive with fake advances from Switzerland to Paris to keep the French Army off guard. 60 divisions, crack and experienced, though undermanned, were ready for their “shock troop” attacks on the Franco-American front southwest of Paris. The first week of the offensive shot off brilliantly. German stormtroopers rumbled into the French and American lines, sowing confusion, cutting communications, and creating a general atmosphere of chaos before the larger support columns cleaned up the job. In six days, the Franco-American line crumbled into a quickening retreat.

The American retreat, however, was in many ways preordained. Ten days before the German offensive was launched, another 200,000 Americans had arrived at Brest. Yet another 120,000 were already near at hand as they were traversing the Atlantic at great speed.

The United States navy and its transport fleet was at full speed. The neglect of the navy under the Bryan Administration was now all but rectified. The Venuezelan Crisis forced Bryan’s hand to increase naval funding. Roosevelt, himself a naval enthusiast, had the foresight—along with Alfred Mahan—to see the importance of the naval in an increasingly globalized and international world order that the United States was already entangled in even if she did not like to publicly acknowledge it. German intelligence had woefully miscalculated the American timetable of arrival and the speed at which the American navy could mobilize both its Atlantic and Pacific fleets. In fact, Roosevelt had ordered the Pacific Transport Squadrons to the Atlantic before the declaration of war. (Something that Rooseveltian critics pointed to as evidence of his behind the scenes steering of the United States into a European conflict.)

Although the German offensive was successful, including the butchering of tens of thousands of Americans lives, and the capturing of another 10,000 at the capitulation at Chartres, the advancing German armies were suddenly stunned outside of Alençon. A new American army, 200,000 strong, appeared as if from heaven itself. The spearhead of the German advance was concentrating around Le Mans in its rapid movement when communication wires relayed the terrible news. The German flank had been assailed by an enemy they did not believe existed. General Ludendorff, the German commander of the right flank, gave his somber communication: The war is lost. The Americans are already here. We shall do our duty and loss gloriously. The Americans pinned their hope luring the Germans too deep into French territory and then smash their flank with a sudden, unexpected, counteroffensive that would break the German army's morale and recapture Paris causing a general collapse in the German frontline.

LD0gZ0J.jpg

American soldiers during the counter offensive at Alençon.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Glad to see you back in action @volksmarschall :)

The German efforts to knock out France before the Americans arrive in force has failed. Now let's see what sort of whirlwind the German Empire shall reap.

What sort of reaction is this reversal going to provoke in the Germans given that they were close to realising their “Hegelian” dreams of triumph? I dread to think what evils are about to be incubated in Mitteleuropa…

It was a little early, and I'm a little late, but I'm considering this update a birthday gift for me. :)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Glad to see you back in action @volksmarschall :)

The German efforts to knock out France before the Americans arrive in force has failed. Now let's see what sort of whirlwind the German Empire shall reap.
Well, hopefully the "strange" or perhaps "realistic" end to the war will be somewhat exciting and exhilarating -- though perhaps not what is necessarily expected! ;)

Though now since we have gone through the strenuous run of the copyediting and indexing, I have a little bit of free time back on my hands to devote some writing to this AAR instead of all the other things I write on! LOL. Hopefully I'm on pace to finish this little piece of my soul in 2021! :cool:
What sort of reaction is this reversal going to provoke in the Germans given that they were close to realising their “Hegelian” dreams of triumph? I dread to think what evils are about to be incubated in Mitteleuropa…
Perhaps an unexpected evil that will make Hegel shrug his shoulders in disbelief! :p I hope you've been well DB, staying in good health I presume.
It was a little early, and I'm a little late, but I'm considering this update a birthday gift for me. :)
Well a happy birthday to you my friend! Hopefully you were, or are, able to enjoy it with something closer to normal semblances.

Perhaps an unexpected evil that will make Hegel shrug his shoulders in disbelief! :p I hope you've been well DB, staying in good health I presume.
Good lord, that does sound ominous! :eek:

Thank you for the good wishes, and please accept mine in return. I trust you’ll be pleased to know I’m enjoying the best of the summer before diving back into the academy come the autumn! :p

Reactions:

VI

On To Paris

Although the German spring offensive of 1915 was, initially, successful, the American counterattack at Alençon stemmed the tide of the German push and sent the German right wing falling back toward Paris from whence it came. The point of the German assault, having advanced as far as Le Mans, was in a precarious position. Should the German spearhead push on toward Nantes as planned and expected? Or should it divert men and material to the American counteroffensive to the northwest?

The German High Command was in a state of shock with the sudden arrival of a fresh American army. Worse, French newspapers celebrated the American arrival and included photos of the American President, Theodore Roosevelt, on horseback saluting the American troops onward to the front.

In fact, Roosevelt had arrived three days before the German offensive began. 300,000 American troops were already in Brest. Though behind and not yet deployed like their frontline compatriots who suffered greatly in the first terrible week of the German offensive and the subsequent retreat, whereby scattered and cutoff units surrendered in the thousands, the Americans imposed a strict secrecy of the new arrivals including President Roosevelt. As such, the blackout kept the Germans in the dark. Moreover, there was no communication with the American frontline of the new arrival and the plans to send the newly gathered forces to the front apart from paper communications given to the frontline by car.

v5DLB0J.png

President Roosevelt reviewing the American Army in France, 1915.

However, the sudden German offensive changed plans. While the Franco-American and token British forces collapsed under the weight of the German attack, the retreat was mostly orderly with the expectations of bringing the Germans deeper into France only to run into fresh battalions of Americans. The American Expeditionary Force (AEF), however, shifted its strategy upon news of the general retreat along the frontline.

Like their German counterparts, the American military command was schooled in the mentality of swift assaults and mobility. ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK! Was the mantra of the American officer corps. John J. Pershing, a veteran of rebel campaigns in American Mexico, was convinced that the elan of the American army was to be found in swift penetrating assaults. Small scale assault teams followed by larger mobile attacks was to win the day.

At Alençon, the Americans put their plans into action. Diverting away from Le Mans and Nantes, the American army swept up the German flank by surprising at the small French commune and neighboring countryside. The Germans, having just beaten American and French forces, pursued with the expectation of rounding up straggling and defeated foes. The sudden appearance of fresh troops, and at large scale, spooked the Germans. Without defensible positions, the Germans were caught off guard. Nearly 50,000 were taken prisoner as stunned and exhausted attackers found themselves to be the ones suddenly attacked. One German officer wrote that he wept in shame and humiliation as he surrendered his company to the Americans.

The fighting at Alençon lasted three days. On May 11, the German retreat began. The Americans pursued. Along the Orne River in Normandy, German advances were also stalled and pushed back by newly arrived American forces which also rejuvenated the tired French armies. French soldiers redoubled their efforts, their fighting elan restored. Morale was now high. One German general remarked the utter impossibility of how a disorganized and retreating mob one day turned into a vicious and countering foe the next.

With the German right flank being turned back toward Paris, the German High Command ordered a general withdrawal from Le Mans to cover their own flank. The race to Paris was on.

The German Army, still dangerous, was convinced that if they could retrench themselves in their former fortified trench lines outside of Paris before their offensive had begun they could buck the American counteroffensive. The hope was that the spilling of so much American blood would weaken the American morale and expectation of a swift victory and bring the war to another grinding halt. With the Switzerland line holding, would the French willingly return to lambs to the slaughter?

gY9snDO.png

German soldiers preparing new defenses for the expected allied assault.

Germany’s new war strategy as it withdrew, in good order, and with limited harassing pursuit by the tired French army which was regathering its composure after the German offensive, was pinned on the hope of a general French mutiny. The French, of course, had suffered tremendously in the war. French manpower was sapped. Some of her wealthiest regions were reduced to ash and rubble. Paris was under German occupation. The government had fled south to Marseille. Despondency was still plaguing the back of the mind of every French soldier. How much longer? And for what?

By the end of May, the Germans had retrenched themselves along the Paris Front anchored by the defenses along the Seine River and the Forest of Rambouillet. The Americans, in their gusto and impetuousness, attempted to ford the Seine northwest of Paris and cut a hole into the German frontline. There could be no breathing for the enemy. The Americans threw 50,000 men into the attack at Rouen. The hope was to cross the river, capture the town, and sweep south along the Seine toward Pontoise. The threat of the American army along the Seine and north of Paris would pose a grave issue to the German defenses. Men would have to be rushed away from the Rambouillet line and give the newly organized Franco-American and British forces advancing in the region an advantage for the attack.

Unfortunately, American impetuousness got out of control. The initial assault at Rouen penetrated the German lines but stalled not long afterward. The Germans did throw additional reserves into holding the line and forced a general retreat back to Rouen which saw tens of thousands of American casualties and prisoners taken. Some American units, so far ahead in their advance, never received word of the retreat to retrench Rouen and were surrounded and surrendered when it became apparent they had been cut off. Now the American command was tasked with an important decision. Should they commit everything to holding Rouen and breaking the German army there, or should they reconsolidate south the river, permitting the Germans to regarrison the town and its defenses? It was determined that no negative waves would deter the American army from its glorious assault across the Seine at Rouen. Another 100,000 Americans were rushed up from the staging area. It may be another month before an additional 250,000 troops arrived from the Atlantic, but it was determined that June was the now or never month for the war. The French cries of Vive l'Amérique were on the lips of all Frenchmen as American troops rushed off to the front.

• 5Like
Reactions:
It sounds like the fight on the Western Front is about to reach its decisive crescendo here, one way or the other. Either the Americans will break against the German bulwark and exhaust their momentum, or they will break it and begin their march to Berlin while pursuing an increasingly desperate German army. Either way, I have a feeling that the war is ultimately going to be decided by the events at Rouen.

is it a river too far? :D

This is going to be ugly. The question is who is it most ugly for?

It sounds like the fight on the Western Front is about to reach its decisive crescendo here, one way or the other. Either the Americans will break against the German bulwark and exhaust their momentum, or they will break it and begin their march to Berlin while pursuing an increasingly desperate German army. Either way, I have a feeling that the war is ultimately going to be decided by the events at Rouen.
Maybe in an indirect way! Funny how Victoria 2 mechanics work sometimes... :p
is it a river too far? :D
One of my favorite films now that you obliquely reference it! Starts whistling the theme. :cool: "Hail Mary, Full of Grace."

This is going to be ugly. The question is who is it most ugly for?
The world! Or especially people whom we may not yet expect. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Fording the Seine was always going to be a high tariff strategy, as the snooker commentators say. Sounds like the Germans have at least been dealt a disorienting blow – but the Americans will have to pull something special out to capitalise on it, one feels. Surely that's a possibility so long as Teddy Roosevelt is in the country and on a horse :D

• 1Like
Reactions: