• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Polish Hussaria

Sergeant
32 Badges
Jan 2, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Right well, after my failed French AAR, it's time to take on the world as Australia. An interesting choice, I believe. First update will be out within an hour.

January '36: The Reformation of Australia
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

soldierso.jpg

Australian Soldiers of the Australian Motorized Cavalry Regiment
patheticf.jpg

The clear lack of equipment is shown by these troops stations in Sydney, testing out the "new" mortars. Notice the modified schoolbus being used as a troop transport in the background.....

Australia's situation was '36 was quite.....precarious. To be honest, it was horrible. The economy was not mobilized, the army was underfunded, the army was inexperienced, technology was limited, and the ministers were anything but sublime. But, hey, it could be worse. Or so thought Australian Prime Minister Sir Isaac Isaacs. Isaac saw democracy as weak and spineless, so he decided to make himself supreme chancellor and completely rearrange the cabinet, to make Australia more "suited" to fit in the modern day. This included the appointment of Maurice Blackburn, a hardcore Aborigine and Communist, whom promised to serve as a loyal cabinet member. All in all, Isaacs replaced 4 of the "elected" officials, with his own, personal staff. The changes fell along these lines:
ministers.png

One of Isaacs' goals was to furthen himself away from the war as much as possible. To this, he sought an Alliance with the Soviets, and he appointed Maurice Blackburn to let the world see, ,that Communists were accepted in Australia.
He also enacted new laws to help mobilize Australia for any impending war.
changelaw1.png

changelaw2.png

If Australia was going to be a world player, the army would need to be reformed, so Isaacs took the initiative to disband over half the Australian army, including the Australian Cavalry, and over half the Australian Garrison regiments. The Australian Motorized Cavalry was kept around, soley because they would be joined by other motorized regiments in the future.
productionqueue.png

The new Australian army would be focused around infantry, and this was started by the queuing of 10 new infantry divisions.
technology2.png

More than 90% of Australian leadership was put into further advancement of the armed forces. Agricultural initiatives were also being researched in order to get more men off the farms and into the army.
militia.png

The garrison units in the Australian army were rearmed to better their fighting abilities.
tankdoctrine.png

operationaldoctrine.png

When it came to doctrines, the Australians used a Soviet-German fusion.
infrastructure.png

Isaacs' had one last major problem. Half of his country was unusable due to the massive desert. Soon, he pictured the Australian desert replaced with sprawling metropolitan areas, with factories and laborers innumerable in size. Plans were already being hatched for the addition to infrastructure.

Last edited:
So, reviewing my options, I have come up with 3 different possibilities for Australia:

1) The first is to stay neutral, and just build as big of an empire as I can, and let the war tide over without firing a shot.

2) To join the Comintern, combat Japan(and win), and then move onto other Asian countries like China and/or Indochina. This may mean siding a little friendly race to Tokyo between me and the USA.

3) Join the Allies, and then just do whatever the hell I want to, because I know that my big brother Britain is protecting me.

Well, if you want to suggest another option, or simply state which you think is the best idea, please post it below.

Well, since you're playing the HPP, my personal recommendation is option 3, as it allows you to build licensed UK cruisers and help out on a global scale. Just don't expect too much from the Allied AI when it comes to helping you against Japan.

kickin it neutral is a no go, 2 sounds do-able, but then when it comes to cold-war its you U.S.S.R and maybe the D.D.R. agaisnt the whole world! so depending on how much play time you have option two if you have alot of time, option 3 if you dont have alot of time.

Morrell8 said;

"Option 2 would be the bravest, because you would have to fully defeat Japan in the short run, then defeat the US in the long run. "

Hmm... I have always found the Japanese easy to beat... Their home army is small, so if I do take on Japan, I will have to do it pre-Chinese surrender or at least coordinated with the USA's mighty navy.

TheBromgrev said

"Well, since you're playing the HPP, my personal recommendation is option 3, as it allows you to build licensed UK cruisers and help out on a global scale. Just don't expect too much from the Allied AI when it comes to helping you against Japan. "

Yes and thank you Bromgrev for helping create this wonderful mod! For some reason in HPP, the USA doesn't just madrush mainland Japan anymore. I just am not a huge naval player, so my only goal would be to find a way to land an army, and then get the hell out of enemy waters. Maybe I will add some cruisers from the UK now(Commonwealth) and then break the Alliance. But if I do go UK, their blueprints would help a lot.

aussiepride01 said

"kickin it neutral is a no go, 2 sounds do-able, but then when it comes to cold-war its you U.S.S.R and maybe the D.D.R. agaisnt the whole world! so depending on how much play time you have option two if you have alot of time, option 3 if you dont have alot of time. "

I have got plenty of time, and the world is most certainly beatable lol... But this global would mean removing British and US holdings in the Pacific, something which is very difficult to do.....

February-June '36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A note from Me: This may seem like a long post, but I simply wouldn't have enough to go on if I made it shorter. When we start invading and annexing, posts will get shorter time-wise, but as for now, no wars, no nothing. It should also be noted that, as with all my other games, I am using noneutrality for more realistic gameplay.

Isaacs' had started out the year strong. He rearranged the cabinet, he planned a reconstruction of the army, and he had enacted laws to better suit Australia to modern times. The Australian people loved him. Nothing could go wrong. Then, out of the blue, he decides that he has served his country long and hard enough, that he can retire.
isaacgone.png

So for the next 2 weeks, Australia was without a head of state, without a leader. Those were the 2 most difficult weeks Australia had experieced in ages.
headofstate.png

Then, a prestigious Brigadier General, Alexander, Lord of Gowrie, steps up and assumes command of the Australian nation.
newheadofstate.png

Being a true economist, he finds ways to maximize the factories to their full work potential.
gowrie.png

Gowrie had visited Mussolini many times, and even accompanied him on a trip to inspect the Libyan colonial army once. While in Libya he gained the idea of a unique defensive system that few nations could utilize. In Libya, there is only one road along the coast that the invader can use. A small corps of elite men could hold off or even beat an invader 10 times their size, because there are few choices for movement, specifically, go forwards or backwards. By knowing enemy movement, you can plan your attacks accordingly. Gowrie wanted to incorporate this defensive ability into his nation. (If you guys understand this, great, if not I will clarify the defensive tactic in a post) So Gowrie planned to construct the Australian Coastal Highway. The schematics looked similar to this:
australianhighway.png

Gowrie also recognized the need for a powerful navy, if he was ever to stand a presence in Asia, or anywhere for that matter. So he kindly asked the Commonwealth leader, Great Britain, to give him some X-class heavy cruisers. Normally these transactions were money for ship, but due to the close bond between Australia and England, the cruisers were given for free.
productionlisence.png

When Gowrie was out and seeking new ships, events occured that shcoked the world. Mussolini, a personal aquantaince of Gowrie's, annexed Ethiopia. Spain errupted in a civil war, and certain nations abstained from important treaties. Gowrie took a mental note of all the events, saving them for future excuse on war.
ethiopia.png

londontreaty.png

franceandbrits.png

The times only got worse for the Commonwealth's elite. Due to a marridal affair, Edward VIII was forced into resignation by the English elite. As for the Naval treaty of London, Japan and Italy abstained, giving them the ability to produce very advanced ships. After receiving word of these threatening acts, Gowrie flew to London to have a meeting with the British PM. After 2 hours of debate on what action should be taken against the Italians(Gowrie supporting war of course), the British solemnly invited Australia to join a coalition of the democracy's of the world. This invitation was politely refused.
declinedinvite.png

When Gowrie was to return to Australia, he ordered the pilot to set course for Moscow, as he and Stalin had business to discuss.
comintern.png

Australia's Army was also ready for battle, and was waiting on the bolstering from the other 5 infantry divisions, before departing for British Islands in the Carribean. Here is the OOB half way through the Royal Australian Army of the Americas' Completion.
ooby.png

Australian technology was keeping up with the army as well, with 5 major techs researched in June of '36.
techk.png

lighttanktech.png

Luckily for the Australians, the crews using these new techs would be professional, thanks to the new Standing Army.
professionalamry.png

Just as all was going well for Australia, disaster struck. Australian intelligence had found that enemy spies, most likely of some Asian or Eastern European nation, had entered the country and were supporting what appeared to be the Leninist Party. Gowrie hated the Leninists as he, like Isaacs, wanted to bring Communism to the land down under. The Leninists were a Communist-Facist hybrid, something that Australia had no use for. Australian counterintelligence immediately began focussing on removing these spies, instead of raising the people's morale.
spys.png

Don't worry, the thread is still alive! Although I don't have time for an update this week, I will get one out by the coming Saturday.

The First Colony

Gowrie was pleased with Australia's state. Her army numbered at around 100,000 men, defensive plans were already being formulated, and the Australian Economy rivaled that of British India. Manpower was also steadily increasing, and Australia's people were some of the brightest in the world. On September 15, 1936, at 5 PM Australian time, Gowrie was handed a folder. It read, "Operation Supremacy". Upon opening the file, he discovered that it was a 10 year plan, concocted by Isaacs to achieve regional and eventually, global supremacy.
Gowrie starred at the file fr 9 hours that night, inspecting every meticulous detail of Isaac's plan. Apparently, many members of the joint chief of staff had already known about "Operation Supremacy" but frowned on it as they thought that a powerful Australia that could rival England was impossible. The next morning, Gowrie ordered an order that would put the world spotlight on Australia. On national television, he openly condemned Hitler, saying that he was looking for war, and if war erupted, Australia would be the first to fight. Upon hearing these inspirational words, the Australian people went into a state of full mobilization.
mobilization.png

threatc.png

The next day, a right wing coup in Nicaragua occurred. Gowrie saw this as an opportunity. He ordered 90,000 Australian troops to be moved to British Jamaica and Belize for "Peacekeeping" purposes. It took almost a month to move the army there, and supplies were vastly underfunded.
inbelize.png

Once all the chaos in Central America had calmed down, Gowrie struck. Not at the Nicaraguans or the Hondurans, but at the Cubans. On December 30, 1936, Australia officially entered war with Cuba.
dowcuba.png

Within 5 hours of the Declaration, Australian troops began to wade ashore, just east of La Habana. The battle was fierce, but in less than 3 days, the area was secure, with less than 200 Australian casualties. The Cubans lost roughly 2000 men. About 500 which were cavalry. The rest were HQ and Garrison.
battle11.png

With the Cuban Army spit, and 36000 Australian troops on mainland Cuba, the battle of La Habana began. Another 36000 Australian troops waded ashore near the capital city, and were supplemented by the already landed troops. In 15 days, Cuba surrendered, the capital seized by 72000 Australian troops. The Australians lost 500 men, the Cubans lost roughly 1500. About 8000 Cuban troops surrendered after their lines were broken near La Habana.
battleforlahabana.png

cubansurrender.png

australiancuba.png