• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Methone

Banned
16 Badges
Oct 27, 2018
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
One thing I would love, beyond anything else, is for our ability to customize empires to be dialed up to 11.

TL;DR Version:
  • Custom Features like UNE Earth
  • 'Force Advanced Start' so empires will be prioritized for advanced start
  • Custom Solar Systems
  • Custom Fallen Empires
  • Custom Marauders
  • Custom Artists/Traders/Curators/Caraveneers
  • Custom Primitives
UNE Earth has special planetary features that reveal the past history of Humanity. I argue we should be able to give such features to any custom empire, so long as it still fits into the 'algorithm' of how many districts starting planets have.

(If you look into the code you see stuff like "if not a Machine empire get more food, if a Machine get more energy, if also a Servitor get even more energy etc")

So my life seeded empire doesn't have generic "Crystal Caverns" but rather "Singing Crystals of AlienName". My Hegemonic Imperialists don't start with a generic "Slums" blocker, but rather "Tent City of AlienCity", and you can choose the art for them too.
Exactly what it says. Just as you can choose to allow/force/disallow a custom empire to spawn, you should be able to do something similar for it being Advanced Start. If I'm spawning a Devouring Swarm, Federation Builder, and Evangelizing Zealot in, with 1 Advanced Start, what if I want the Swarm to always have the leg up?
Just like there are the special systems Sol and Deneb, we should be able to customize our systems. How many planets, what type of planets, what color star etc, obviously so long as it conforms to Paradox's formula of 'starting systems get these resources, have up to X planets' etc.

Two special things I'd like to go with this. First is Nonstandard Star starts, so for instance you can start orbiting a Pulsar/Neutron Star, which turns your world into a Tomb World without Post Apocalyptic, and swaps the Home Star energy deposit with one of the Home System science deposits. (Yes, Pulsar Planets are a thing)

The second is the ability to give Modifiers to the planets. So you can say, "This moon of this gas giant has High Quality Minerals". And, most key, give these Modifiers to home planets. For balance reasons, obviously, the modifiers would probably just be dialogue and wouldn't actually give the effect to the home planet, but I want to tag my Post Apocalyptic birds as on an Irradiated World. My life-seeded empire's home has Natural Beauty. My Devouring Swarm has ravaged their world until it's considered Bleak, etc.
Custom Fallen Empires, Marauders, Enclaves, and Primitives.

Basically you press a button and, instead of a normal empire, you're making one of the specials, at the cost of not being able to play them.

You chose an FE? Your civics are locked to the FE ones and you can only pick the FE ethic possibilites. Picked an Enclave? You can practically only choose the species itself. Picked a Primitive? Pick their tech level too! (While we're at it maybe rework the Primitives Slider from 0x-5x to solid numbers, like 0-30, as in the AI Empires)

Allow/Force/Disallow Spawn these empires too, just like AI ones. Also, allow the ones for whom it applies to have the custom Features/System I discussed earlier - give your Xenophile FE's homeworld Lush. Give your Stone Age Primitives a lot of named Mountain Range blockers, etc.
I realize all this would probably overload the Empire Creation UI to the point of insanity, but I really would just love to be able to take my worldbuilding up to ridiculous levels.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I'd like to see a point system for your home system, where you get N points, and with it you could do things like:

-Increase/decrease starting planet size (progressively more expensive or more refund further from size 15)
-Add a transforming candidate (cheap), wrong category habitable planet (less expensive), right category but wrong specific planet type planet (more expensive), same type planet (most expensive)
- Choose star type (free, but must be post apocalyptic or life seaded for pulsar/neutron star)
- Add presapients or primitives (requires a second or more planet, expensive)
- Add flaws/boons to any planet in your system
- Add space deposits (each deposit more expensive than the last)
- Add stars/orbiting objects (free but capped, required for deposits)

So, in theory you could have anything from a single awesome planet around a star, or a system full of habitable junk (my homeworld may only be size 10, but look at all this future real-estate!).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like to see a point system for your home system, where you get N points, and with it you could do things like:

-Increase/decrease starting planet size (progressively more expensive or more refund further from size 15)
-Add a transforming candidate (cheap), wrong category habitable planet (less expensive), right category but wrong specific planet type planet (more expensive), same type planet (most expensive)
- Choose star type (free, but must be post apocalyptic or life seaded for pulsar/neutron star)
- Add presapients or primitives (requires a second or more planet, expensive)
- Add flaws/boons to any planet in your system
- Add space deposits (each deposit more expensive than the last)
- Add stars/orbiting objects (free but capped, required for deposits)

So, in theory you could have anything from a single awesome planet around a star, or a system full of habitable junk (my homeworld may only be size 10, but look at all this future real-estate!).
Or get points if you make your species start with the wrong habitability trait. Ie a Devouring Swarm has Ocean Preference, but they've devastated their world into a Desert Planet.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Love this idea. I've created a vast array of custom empires to play as (or against), adding as I go both my successful random empires and beloved randomized enemies to that list. It seems natural to take this a step further; there's one at least I know I would love to designate as FEs, esp. since I RPed their withdrawal to a small enclave, gradually vassalizing and releasing their whole-galaxy empire after I won the WiH and beat back all 3 crises (it was... quite a game).

Also, most of these would actually be simpler to do in the empire construction UI than a conventional empire, with fewer and simpler features to set. It's just the home system/planet customization that gets tricky, that would probably have to be separate -- maybe a System Design tab on the main screen (like a lot of games that let you create your own game map/playing field) to design and save new named systems, which you could then select from the empire setup menu where you currently can only pick the few existing ones (Sol, Deneb, etc).

I'd like to see a point system for your home system

Absolutely love this concept! As someone who designed a homebrew rpg around this sort of detailed customization, I really dig where you're coming from.

As for this:

If I'm spawning a Devouring Swarm, Federation Builder, and Evangelizing Zealot in, with 1 Advanced Start, what if I want the Swarm to always have the leg up?

I play with the awesome Stronger Advanced AI Starts mod (because GA is not enough these days, alas) and it finally happened: a genocider got lucky. This is what happens when you give a Swarm a big leg up -- they take over 1/3 of the galaxy and exterminate several species before you even discover them. And it's just pure luck they spawned on the far side from me, or I'd already be dead. As it is... we'll see if it's not already too late.

Zerg Galaxy.JPG

Last edited:
Love this idea. I've created a vast array of custom empires to play as (or against), adding as I go both my successful random empires and beloved randomized enemies to that list. It seems natural to take this a step further; there's one at least I know I would love to designate as FEs, esp. since I RPed their withdrawal to a small enclave, gradually vassalizing and releasing their whole-galaxy empire after I won the WiH and beat back all 3 crises (it was... quite a game).

Also, most of these would actually be simpler to do in the empire construction UI than a conventional empire, with fewer and simpler features to set. It's just the home system/planet customization that gets tricky, that would probably have to be separate -- maybe a System Design tab on the main screen (like a lot of games that let you create your own game map/playing field) to design and save new named systems, which you could then select from the empire setup menu where you currently can only pick the few existing ones (Sol, Deneb, etc).

Absolutely love this concept! As someone who designed a homebrew rpg around this sort of detailed customization, I really dig where you're coming from.

As for this:

I play with the awesome Stronger Advanced AI Starts mod (because GA is not enough these days, alas) and it finally happened: a genocider got lucky. This is what happens when you give a Swarm a big leg up -- they take over 1/3 of the galaxy and exterminate several species before you even discover them. And it's just pure luck they spawned on the far side from me, or I'd already be dead. As it is... we'll see if it's not already too late.

View attachment 473614
Heheh. You're in danger.

Heheh. You're in danger.

Finally... living the dream. :D

(Better yet, my random starting species is a precursor race accidentally awakened from stasis, thanks I think to the Origins Civics mod. We also happen to be fanatic militarists. Well, now I know why fate brought us back into the galaxy at this moment.)

Finally... living the dream. :D
If you want danger:

1 Fleshy Empire that never Synth Ascends vs 30 Grand Admiral Determined Exterminators.

Reactions:
If you want danger:

1 Fleshy Empire that never Synth Ascends vs 30 Grand Admiral Determined Exterminators.

I... that's... uh, the mind reels. I think I'd be pleased to make it 50 years.

How early am I allowed to set the mid- and late game dates? Because the Khan, FEs, and the crisis would probably come as a godsend in that situation.

I... that's... uh, the mind reels. I think I'd be pleased to make it 50 years.

How early am I allowed to set the mid- and late game dates? Because the Khan, FEs, and the crisis would probably come as a godsend in that situation.
For the TRULY brave of heart, no Marauders, no FE, no Crisis to save you. Just you duking it out with a galaxy of metal.

For the TRULY brave of heart, no Marauders, no FE, no Crisis to save you. Just you duking it out with a galaxy of metal.

lol, yes, very metal indeed. But this sounds more like a punishment than a game. =P I can't imagine a narrative or RP for it that would keep my attention... I mean, if I had a youtube channel and a patron account that would let me do nothing but play all day, I'd do any crazy thing my subscribers demanded. But for fun? :eek:

I can't imagine a narrative or RP for it that would keep my attention...
"Our blood court has risen to the stars after purifying our world. We don't know what is out there, but we have decided after careful thought that if there is anything, it will certainly be an intolerable threat to our existence."

*Thirty Thousand negative opinion's worth of first contacts later*

"WE WERE RIGHT!"

Those are some neat ideas, and I've been wanting to do something similar. I can't make any promises though, since the problem isn't usually the lack of wanting, but rather other things taking priority.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Some easier to implement features:
custom Namelist (for ships planets)
force some Leviathans to spawn while others are random
force a specific NPC country to spawn.
decide in which part of the galaxy you start(and this way which precurser will likely be present)
decide how many crisis can spawn.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dev-responded-to-me-oh-god-act-calm-and-collected

That's good to hear, I can absolutely 100% understand having different priorities.