• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((naxhi24,

I did not delegate anybody the right to appoint government - and did not delegate it to my son, who i according to the latest IC, should be travelling to France now, while I am back to Madrid

I would rather you confirmed such stuff with me, you know))

Last edited:
((naxhi24,

I did not delegate anybody the right to appoint government - and did not delegate it to my son, who i according to the latest IC, should be travelling to France now, while I am back to Madrid

I would rather you confirmed such stuff with me, you know))

((I recalled you saying that ML had royal perogative while you IRL were busy with stuff. If you are not busy now, tell me so that this situation can be rectified))

((I recalled you saying that ML had royal perogative while you IRL were busy with stuff. If you are not busy now, tell me so that this situation can be rectified))

((Since I have been doing IC with ML just recently, I thought it was clear I was not busy now Xd))

Last edited:
((
4125443.jpg
))

((the others being you nax, you played the fool, also @Marschalk sorry about it, I just followed the will of this GM, hope you like your new cabinet- and I guess I shall write up an IC with Nax shortly ;) ))

500px-coat_of_arms_of_spain-svg1.png

1896 SPEECH FROM THE THRONE​
Good sirs,

We welcome the newly elected Audience and must say that We expect from it patriotism and valor that the whole Spanish nation has been demonstrating during this great trial. We ask you to dedicate all your efforts to the support of your country in this war, to assist the Kingdom to lighten its burden and reach a decisive victory over the invaders.

We did not want this war – it was thrust upon us. Over the years we have always demonstrated our readiness, for the sake of peace, to maintain the status quo in the Latin America, even though We knew perfectly well that Our country has a valid right to the colonies that have broken away from our empire – and yet desisted from hostile actions.
The United States of America have, over years, again and again disrespected the Spanish sovereignty and statehood, supporting the rebels in our Cuban domain, Our right to which is recognized by the whole civilized world – and now, without any negotiations, have treacherously attacked Us.

This is a war not simply for Cuba, but for our national dignity, for our independence, for our right to conduct our policies without threat of foreign coercion. The Americans, who now so audaciously claim that they have right to th whole New World, must remember that they are nobody but rather recent settlers and that the Spanish and Portuguese flags have been risen in this world long before their country was even established.

Our whole nation has currently demonstrated loyalty to the cause of Spanish Empire and their King that is worthy of ancient heroes. For example, the great victory at Matanzas. We have seen how the Spanish paladins have managed to only to defeat the perfidious Yankees, losing only a small number of men in comparison with the enemy, but to take many prisoners of war. These people would be remembered and their kingwould say with pride: "My father, grandfather or uncle has fought at Matanzas". We hope that the patriotism of this Audience would be no less than the patriotism of the common people currently fighting for Throne and Fatherland.

We grant the current government a new mandate to function and hope that during its tenure the enemy would be defeated.

FELIPE

((TO HIS IMPERIAL MAJESTY NICHOLAS II, the EMPEROR of ALL RUSSIA, KING of POLAND, GRAND DUKE of FINLAND, etc. – naxhi24 Private))

Dear Cousin Nicky,

I greet you and must again express my grief at the death of your father, Emperor Alexander III. His august presence was an assurance of peace and stability in Europe - and with his loss all good Christians and supporters of godly order can but feel great distress. I must also say that I am happy that the European war has ended.

Sadly enough, as you know, my own country is currently under a treacherous and perfidious attack. The United States of America, a body that has been friendly to all kind of rebels, all kinds of supporters of lawless disorders across the world, has used the instability in Europe to, without any provocation, attack Spain to take from it its legitimate holdings.

I thank you and your country for the way it immediately spoken in support for Us to the war and mobilized – and hope that you, as our ally within the defensive Holy Alliance, support us in this struggle and assist Us to end this lawless attack.

Our country would be forever grateful to Russia and remain its close friend in the years to come

FELIPE

((TO PHILIPPE VIII, the KING of FRANCE – naxhi24 Private))

Dear Brother-in- Law,

I congratulate you on your ascension and your bold policies, befitting your high station. As you know, I have always been a friend to your Crown – and was glad to some years ago help to broker the compromise that has achieved the Restoration of the monarchy in France and the enthronement of your uncle, father and your august self. We are allied not only common interests, but blood itself – not only both of Us stem from the noble line of Hugh Capet and Charlemagne, but We are connected through marriage, for your own sister, Lady Amelie, is my Queen, and I thank the Heavens every days for every day of this matrimony. Therefore I have only well wishes for France and would always remain a good friend to it.

However I say that I write over a grievous matter. As you know, the USA has, without negotiations or arbitration, attacked my Kingdom in order to deprive its of its righteous holdings that are recognized by the whole civilized world. More than that, in order to do it, it entered our continental holdings, discording the European peace. The latter fact, in my opinion, demands for a response from the whole Europe – for it sets a bad precedent of United States of America that, while demanding the hegemony within the New World, dares to openly invade the Old World. I believe that this outlandish construction of the so called Monroe Doctrine, in combination with the disrespect for the sovereignty in European affairs and European borders, should be in the future discussed by a wide European conference.

However now I ask that your Crown and Country would in military sense support our efforts against the United States of America. We forever be grateful to Your Throne and State.
I also would like to send to you a special mission that would hold talks about such endeavor with yourself, led by the Duke of Infantado. It is also my wish that my son and heir (and your nephew), Don Carlos, Prince of Asturias, would accompany the Duke. I believe it is right that he should get acquainted with the country of his mother,

FELIPE

((To LEOPOLD II, the KING of BELGIUM – naxhi24 Private))

Your Majesty,

We thank to thank you for the fact that, despite the brash moves of some unwise people within your government against Spain, you, as a true ally to Spain, have spoken for Us during the perfidious attack of the United States and America and mobilized your forces. We must assure you that We would always want to be an ally to Your Crown and help you in your objectives, internal or external. Should your monarchy ever be endangered, like in the recent rebellion, you can count upon the Spanish forces.

We hope that you would assist Us to overcome this enemy and guarantee the European peace.

FELIPE

Last edited:
To King Felipe VI of Spain.

King Leopold II currently does not sit on the throne for the people of Belgium have taken power for themselves. The Republic of Belgium though believes it is best to keep treaties one has signed in a prior government, even if Spain stands against everything Belgium stands for.

-President Savarin of the Belgian Republic

Reactions:
"I am thoroughly disappointed in the replacement of my administration. My critique of this war is not invalid. However I have faith in my peer, the Duque de Menorca, and will loyally serve the Crown and the Government in this regard. I hope peace will dawn upon us soon."

((Retconned because our GM is a hack and I was unaware that I was given a new mandate))

Last edited:
Capitan General Antonio de Zumalacárregui sat at home in his living room. A servant comes in, bows and delivers a letter to the duke.
"It is from the Crown Prince my duke."
"The Crown Prince?" Said Antonio rather puzzled. "Why would he send me a letter."
The servant left him pondering and after a while, he opened it and was quite baffled that the Crown Prince, of all people, had decided to construct the cabinet of the Kingdom. He called for his servant who came hurrying in. He then asked:
"Has anything happened to king? Is he sick, not at court or something?"
"The king is as healthy as ever your highness."
"Then why is the Crown Prince sending me cabinet positions?"
"Maybe he's playing a trick on us or something like that your highness."
"Could be of course. You never know with the youngsters these days..."

((Sorry about all the confusion, ML8991 shall not be penalized at all for my mistake. Now lets move on before more people get confused))

Spanish American War Pt.2: 1896-1897

With the election of 1896 completed and Los Amarillos given another government via extension of the previous one by Felipe VI, Spain set its eyes on finishing this war once and for all. With Cuba secured and the Americans repelled from Galicia by the Portuguese, the time was right for an all-out offensive against the United States. King Felipe sent letters to all the monarchs of Europe, asking them to aide Spain or denounce the United States in an effort to consolidate European hegemony over a powerful American power seeking its own dominance. However, only Russia and the new Republic of Belgium answered the call by swearing to uphold old alliances with the Spanish. Germany was still recovering from the war, and could not send troops. Felipe VI would send his son and heir, Infante Carlos, to France in order to persuade the government of France to aide the Spanish, but it would be an ill-fated mission.

During the Scramble for Africa, France acquired many colonies across the dark continent. They set colonies up in West Africa and the Kongo, claiming more land than the Germans, British, Italians, or Spanish could claim. This put them into direct competition with British colonizers in South Africa who were expanding up into Rhodesia and Zambia. As a result, tensions between the French and the United Kingdom were at a high-mark. A month after Infante Carlos arrived in France, the United Kingdom, taking an opportunity given to it by a weakened France, declared war on France. The UK was better at France than everything possible, it had a better economy, army, navy, and had more allies. France was inserted into a terrible situation, the last war was bad enough, and now they had to fight the British? It seemed that things were not going well for the Kings of France...

0713frenchcolonials.jpg

(Senegal Troops in West Africa)

As the United Kingdom and France were fighting each other over the colonies of Africa, the United States was brewing for an assault. Two months after the failed assault on Spain, America struck again. 42,000 American soldiers landed on the shores of Havana, once again taking the city in the name of the Republic. Spain responded by sending the 45,000 troops on the island to engage them. They underestimated the Americans however, and were lured into a battle where the terrain was against them. It was an uphill battle, and the Spanish forces would be decimated. Spain would suffer over 27,000 casualties compared to the 9,000 suffered by the Americans. By the end of the year, the survivors would be captured. In the time-span of a few months, Spain had lost 45,000 men. King Felipe though was not one to back down from a fight. He ordered newly constructed steamboats to sail to Cuba and land on the eastern shores to bring the fight to the Americans. Blocking their way though was a large American navy. The Spanish ironclads though were technologically superior. To sum up this battle, the Americans didnt send their best...

steaming.png

(Spanish Iron Armada)

Spain landed on the shores of Cuba, and proceed to march due-west. They were stopped by American fortifications in the mountains of eastern Cuba. After numerous failed assaults where the Spanish suffered 15,000 casualties, they were pushed west. However, the Americans committed two major errors in dealing with the Spanish. The first was that they didnt pursue right away. The Spanish were on the ropes, and the Americans could have easily finished them off if they had concentrated their forces on the chase. They didnt, and Spain was able to regroup and fortify. The second mistake came later when the Americans split up their forces to pursue the Spanish. The division sent after the Spanish army was crushed, which eventually led to the American front collapsing, leading to the loss of another 42,000 men. At the same time of this assault, Liberian forces managed to push Portuguese troops out of Monrovia and Russian troops were landing on Haiti. The war was not going well for the Americans.

images

(Spanish Troops in Cuba)

After what seemed like years of war, the Spanish finally decided that the Americans had enough, and offered terms of status quo to them. The Americans, tired of war, accepted. Thus, the Spanish-American War came to a sudden conclusion. Spanish casualties numbered between 75,000 and 100,000, while American casualties were around 85,000. The war was costly for the Americans and Spanish. Now though, with the war concluded, the Spanish began to rebuild. What will become of both Spain and Cuba now that the war was over? Has peace finally settled in Spain?
----------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: Bills and whatnot...

375px-Emblem_of_the_Spanish_Army.svg.png
SGch1vt.png

Memo from the Secretary of War

The victory over the Americans in the continous battles of Cuba will not be forgotten and the losses will not either, therefore the secretary apeals to the government to create a memorial to the dead troops, both in the army and navy who gave their life for the nation far away from home in a valient act of self-defence, selflessness and loyalty to the Kingdom of Spain.

----

The secretary also request reports on the defences on Cuba proper in regard to forts, military and naval facilities. We also request reports on the losses concerning future recruitment in Metropolitan Spain and in its colonies.

----
{Private - Government, King etc.}
In an effort to protect the colonies of his Majesty and the Kingdom, the secretary believe that it would be wise to have a large permanent garrison on Cuba and a section of the Royal Police and secret police present on the island at all times to protect the Cuban people from the demonic influences of American imperialism.

~ Secretary of War, Capitán-General Antonio Carlos de Zumalacárregui e Imaz, Grandee of Spain, Principe de La Guerra, Duque de la Victtoria y Conde de Bilbao

Last edited:
I applaud our brave soldiers who defended Spanish soil against the American menace. Not once did I ever consider giving in to this threat, although there were times I doubted we could resist the might of such a powerful enemy. Yet we have proven that we are a strong people that will not bend to the will of others. The Americans believe that the entire Western hemisphere is theirs to do with as they please. We have shown them that if they wish that to be the case, they must bleed for it, and bleed a lot. They will think twice before they try to unjustly steal land from us. Now we must look to the future. This has shown us the flaws in our nation. We must ensure that all of Spain, including our valued colonies, are protected by a strong army and strong navy. Cuba is an integral part of our empire, and should be treated as such. The island has now been ravaged by war, a grievous condition we can fully blame on the Americans. It should be a high priority to rebuild what was damaged and ensure the Cuban people are cared for. They must know that Spain and our beloved Catholic Majesty will always look out for them, even against the aggressive Americans. I will personally dedicate part of my own wealth to the rebuilding efforts, for we must all come together to recover from this unsought war. Spain has suffered, but we shall come out of it stronger than before.

- Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández

1897 ROYAL MANIFESTO REGARDING THE END OF THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR (Public)​

Our dear subjects,

This victory over the Americans is the great feat of the Spanish state, army and people which would never be forgotten. It was a battle not only for Cuba, but for national prominence, honor and independence. We were attacked by an enemy whose territory and the number of forces far exceeded our own – and yet the resolve of Our people and the valor of Our troops were such that this aggression was timely ended.

It demonstrates that our state and nation are healthy and strong, that the principles of patriotism and loyalty, enforced by Carlist ideals, are in their basis. This victory demonstrates that Spain is firmly walking the new path, free of the maladies of the past, which have undermined it during the Napoleonic invasion and the successive years. We have been recognized as a Great Power by the civilized world – and have proudly defended the right to be named such. Nobody would dare to attempt to dismantle our empire or subjugate our country– and these that would, would be punished.

The sacrifices of the Spanish nation during this war should be rewarded. We concur with the patriotic calls of the Principe de la Guerra and Conde de Mostoles and announce that, while a big sculpture would be erected in Madrid, We believe that each town and community should thrive to honor its own heroes, so that their names are not forgotten. We believe that it would be a good idea that each city would possess at least a memorial stone listing the names of the local citizens who have fallen fighting for their Fatherland. We order the Duke of Infantado to supervise these efforts, cooperating with the local viceroys, as well as preside in the committee that would think of the means to materially remunerate these participants of the war that are returning to the civilian life. At the same time We decree that Capitan General the Principe de la Guerra, as the senior commanding officer of Our armies, is to collect and present Us the recommendations regarding military rewards and promotions in rank, commending Our soldiers of all ranks for their bravery.

We once again note that this war has demonstrated a sense of unity in the nation, bodies of state and political parties, as well as unity with our European allies, expecially pointing at the long-term brotherhood-in-arms We have shared with the Russian Empire and the Kingdom of Portugal. We should uphold this unity in the times of peace as well – and then We would prevail over all enemies and overcome all problems that may ever come.

FELIPE

((TO THE PRINCIPE DE LA GUERRA – RR Private))​

Don Antonio,

We find the plans as stated in your memorandum quite useful and agreeable. We would take measures neccessary to strengthen the police and security forces within the Spanish colonies – and in meanwhile We authorize you to coordinate efforts to replenish Our armies and navy and develop the military defenses of Cuba and other overseas possessions.

We would order Our governors and other officials (naxhi24) to cooperate with you in this regard and give you all information as necessary.

FELIPE

((TO THE CABINET - Private))​

Inviting his Cabinet to the Palace, the King assembled them around a marble table, laid out with maps, charts and documents as provided by the clerks of the Royal Chancellery. After a few moments of silence the Monarch spoke up.

Your Grace, the First Secretary of the Cabinet and you, honorable and worshipful Ministers of State,

It is clear that the first and most important task that we would need to fulfill in the years to come, is to restore the army and county after the war. I am sure that the Ministries of the Colonies, Interior, Treasury and War, under the guidance of the presiding Minister, Duque de Etxeto, would take the necessary measures in this regard.

However, this must not throw us into dormancy and make us forget the imperial goals. While doing what necessary to let the Kingdom rest, We need to already plan the strategies of the decades to come.

I. The first topic I want to discuss with you today is China. As you know, the Spanish Kingdom has been holding the province of Shanghai for some time – and while they are the gates to the Eastern riches, due to the fact that we had to deal with other crucial questions, they did remain but gates. At the same time the Military Governor of Shanghai, as well as our agents in China itself, report to me of the expansionist successes of the other realms that have been active in the region. We are told that the United Kingdom has already extended its rule to all southern China, and that the Japanese spies are now swarming in Manchuria.

It is clear that the so-called Heavenly Taiping Kingdom is now the Sick Man of the East, as the Ottoman Empire was the Sick Man of Europe. It is predestined either to fall under protection of one of the mightier countries or be divided into various spheres of influence – as it partially already is .

Since Spain is present in the region, it seems prudent that it ensures that it gets its share and is not left with solely Shanghai, surrounded by vast possessions of other countries. We see here the representatives of the Yellows, which would surely understand the great commercial benefits we may receive by expanding in this region – the flow of Chinese goods, the profitable concessions and the new opportunities for our people. At the same time I believe that Chinese themselves are better prepared for our civilizing mission than some other groups. They are not overcome by tribalism and wildness as the Africans – and their minds are not poisoned by radicals ideas as the minds of, say, some people in our former holdings in the Indies. They believe in the Mandate of Heaven, ergo solid authority and discipline. They also, since the Taiping takeover, profess, if heretical and perverted, a form of Christian faith – and therefore could be guided to the right Catholic path and become useful part of of the Spanish empire.

Therefore We want us to discuss this matter – whether it would be reasonable if we strengthen Our positions in the region, and, if yes, in which form and by which means we are to conduct that? Which provinces, linked to our stronghold in Shanghai, may we need most? How may they be administered – would we profit from direct rule or keeping the Taiping kingdom in some form in these territories, but under our guidance?

We believe that we need to discuss all possible variants, so that any new developments in the East would not take us by surprise.

II. The second issue relates to European security. As we have seen, over the years the countries of Europe have participated in numerous bloody wars between themselves. It is a sad fact that the cordiality and order that the Congress of Vienna intended to established has been violated many times, for, alas, such is the quarrelsome and inperfect human nature. While it is necessary that all European realms should work to rebuild some semblance of cooperation - there is a fact that, We think, may play a serious role in the future European conflicts. As you saw during this war, the United States of America has, over a dispute in the New World, attacked the Spanish continental holdings. Such happenings can lead not only to danger to Spain, but to overall disharmony within the commonwealth of European nations – for if such a force within the New World would start interfering in the affairs of the Old World, participating in its conflicts, it can lead to unforeseeable and negative consequences.

For this reason We are considering calling for a European Congress that would pressure the United States of America to give guarantees never to land its troops in Europe, even if one of the countries would demand its aid in military expeditions.

We are hoping that you voice your ideas regarding this thought as well.

FELIPE

Last edited:
((Private - The Cabinet))

I must concur with His Majesty on the matter of China. We would do well to reconsider our position there. Shanghai is a valuable port and a worthy possession of Spain, but we also must ensure that our position there cannot be threatened. We have already had our colonies in Cuba attacked, so would it be surprising to see another power threaten our position in China? I believe it best to secure what we can around Shanghai to ensure our position is as secure as possible. As for the Taiping, we must consider whether we can actually keep them under control if we choose to do so, and if another power won't try to do the same. Direct rule allows us greater control, but can be more dangerous. The Chinese are numerous, after all, and our military resources are stretched thin after the recent war against the Americans. If we are to consider expanding our presence in China, I believe the most prudent step would be to coordinate with Russia first. They have proven themselves to be our most loyal ally and have a clear interest in the region. If we both act together, we can achieve more and ensure that the other powers don't thwart our attempts at expansion. Once we have recovered from the recent war, we must act quickly before the situation deteriorates further and we lose any advantage in China.

The matter of Cuba must also be discussed. I believe it is plain to all that we must build up better defences and maintain a constant military presence now that the Americans have made it clear they believe they have a right to the entire Western hemisphere. However, we cannot just rely on military changes, for it is likely the Americans will attack again and with greater numbers now that they have tested us this once. The best way to ensure there isn't a repeat in events is to change the circumstances in Cuba and with the rest of Europe. We should not only work on rebuilding Cuba, but take measures to show to the world that Cuba is an integral part of Spain, as much so as our Iberian territories. Perhaps we should consider improving the bureaucracy in the island and turn it into a proper state. We could even allow them to participate in elections to give them a voice in government, although with reasonable restrictions and with a limited franchise at first. With these changes implemented, this should then in turn impact how the rest of Europe might react to another aggressive war by the Americans. If the Americans attack an integral and seemingly equal part of Spain rather than just a colony, despite the fact an ocean lies between Cuba and the rest of Spain, what is to say the Americans won't consider doing the same to other European powers? Not only might this convince some of them to share our cause, but it will win us the support of the Cubans themselves. If the very people the Americans are fighting to "liberate" see them as conquerors, they lose all legitimacy. The status quo will most likely ensure another war in the future, one that will hurt Spain as much as the recent conflict. Changes must be made if we wish to better prepare for another one or prevent it from ever happening again.

- Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández

375px-Emblem_of_the_Spanish_Army.svg.png
SGch1vt.png

Memo from the Secretary of War
(Private - Cabinet, King)

As I have been given reports on the terrible state of Spanish defences on Cuba I will ask of the government to build the strongest forts we can in Cuba and the rest of the royal colonies so a defence is easier to mount against the imperialistic intruders.

Concerning recruitment, manpower is generally okay, but I do believe we should focus on ecouraging more soldiers to join up on Cuba and the Phillipines as the manpower there is lower than the rest of Spain. There are however enough able-bodied men to find in Spain proper, Morroco and Nigeria.

As for naval bases, we should upgrade all existing naval bases to the newest and most effective technology to fit the needs of the navy who performed valiently in combat against the Americans.

I think that all commanders leading Spanish troops in battle should be admitted into the orden de Calatrava and The Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Charles III or rise in the ranks in this military order. Crosses of Military Merit and Real y Militar Orden de San Fernando be given to regiments or individual soldiers based on their merit.

~ Secretary of War, Capitán-General Antonio Carlos de Zumalacárregui e Imaz, Grandee of Spain, Principe de La Guerra, Duque de la Victtoria y Conde de Bilbao

Artistic license

The past 2 years had degraded the Prince of Belmonte and Duke of Infantado immensely. Although he had survived, albeit with his cane and typical tremor, in the court of Philippe VIII, his condition had signifcantly taken a turn for the worst over the following months. Now confined to a wheelchair, and barely able to move at all without some form of assistance, the once proud noble had lost his air of gravitas that he used to uphold. His hands shook, even if just lifting to shake with a passing friend, or to eat a basic meal. However if it was apparent that his physical body had degraded immensely, it was equally apparent that his mental capacity had grown as much, if not more. Of course, given his upbringing and family, Pedro was given a fine education, but with his body being as limited as it was, he dedicated himself to other studies. And thus he explored the worlds of architecture and of the arts, the new sciences, as well as the fine arts of cooking and gardening, a most softening and many of his household dubbed feminine up taking. However, it was apparent to many in the household, as no word was said outside of it, for fear of a loss of reputation, that the Prince-Duke took great pleasure, and even seemed far more in control of his body at times like these.

Thus when the proclamation came through the door that Pedro should design the standardised memorial stones of the fallen, it was not questioned when he took it upon himself to craft the designs for it. A sketch here, a fine angle cut in there, but often a scrunched up sheet on the floor, was never called against him. After many days of working, Pedro at last crafted a design he liked. He felt it was simple, but majesty, clear, but interpretative, new, and yet timeless. It was to be in marble, for all, in which would be chiselled the names of the fallen, filled out with fine gold paint, and above their names the coat of arms of his Majesty, behind which two swords crossed, and a simple inscription set below, of "qui nulla delebit oblivio, MDCCCLXXVIII", and a translation to the local dialect, both in gold paint.

Pedro submitted the form to the crown, and hoped it would find approval from his Majesty. Along with the proposal, he sent well wishes to the Crown Prince, and apologies to his Majesty over the delay in all recent matters.

The Marquis de Pontevedra, having become rather overworked by the outset of the American War and its aftermath, was suitably pleased to return to more menial tasks. He quickly sets off on his new assignments, first by writing to the Crown.

[Private: Mars]

To His Catholic Majesty,

The American War has proven, in my estimation, that our army and navy, having been to some degree reformed and expanded, must be fully brought into line with the Duque de Segovia's previous reforms, as well as expanded as necessary, whilst our modernisation efforts might be best served in working towards the same, as well as developing the industrial and financial ability to maintain such an expanded and modern force.

Furthermore, I have heard of late that there are those in court who are desirous of further expansion into the Qing Empire, not only in terms of trading capacity and further trade ports, but into properly governing the hinterland of the region and acquiring the riches therein directly. Whilst I hold some doubts in regards to the efficacy of such a plan - after all, I believe that a focus on modernisation and internal renewal, as well as restoration and expansion of royal power should be taken over the course of the next few years - should Your Majesty regard such a proposal as beneficial to the Crown, both I and the War Secretary can and shall begin taking the necessary steps to accomplish such an operation. However, due to the damage sustained during the war, this may take longer than expected.

Your Loyal Servant
Pontevedra

The Marquis then turns his focus on the various needs of the state; recognising the growth in the industrial sectors of the kingdom over the past few years, particularly those related to the war effort, the Marquis began expanding state efforts to encourage qualified workers for those factories.

National Focuses

All will be directed to encourage clerks and factory workers in the most industrialised provinces, or those that have the most need of them. After that, they will transition to encouraging clergymen. Should that proceed well enough, follow the War Secretary's proposal to expand our manpower reserves, though it may perhaps be more advantageous to focus more on the homeland as opposed to the colonies, given the recent disloyalty in the Philippines.

~ Pontevedra