• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Against the Censors
Francisco de Valle
Recently Pontevedra's lackeys have begun their censorship campaign against the People's Party and their Democratic Allies. It seems they think the Spanish People believe in the lies they have tried to feed us for decades. That is not the truth, we know of their covert suppression of democratic thought and the persecution of democrats and other honest Spaniards. It is vital, my friends, that we stand against this ignorance and that we fulfill our Christian task by instructing the ignorant and counseling the doubtful. For only if we battle the ignorance spread by the lackeys of Pontevedra can we achieve victory for all of Spain. For these lies they are spreading, they will not stop the suffering of the orphans, deserted by the unchristian State, after their fathers died in the struggle that was not theirs - which Pontevedra's lackeys mindlessly and merciless support, no matter the destruction and death brought by them.

Friends, this is our duty this election, to right the wrongs left by a State broken by a corrupt man and his lackeys. This is a solemn duty and a heavy burden of all Spanish people believing in a better tomorrow, in a New Dawn! I shall carry this burden, friends, and I call upon you to carry it with me. So that finally, Spain may rejoice in a New Dawn of Democracy, Peace and Prosperity. That we may rejoice that our newspapers are not filled with lies and our opinions are not censored. That all Spaniards may rejoice that their Kingdom has returned to its pious roots of the past and God-willing shall walk a pious route in the future.

This was the third of De Valle's four minutes speeches, which would be published in all PP-aligned newspapers and periodicals, while in major cities and other PP-strongholds, men would read out the speech to large parts of the Public. The first was the anti-war A New War of Independence in Iberia, which was well recieved among the many anti-war groups in Spain, who have losts their families in that useless struggle. The second, A New Dawn, focused on the traditional People's Party manifesto pledge of more democracy. The third, Against the Censors, was an open attack on the bureau of censorship, an organisation well-know for its bias against progress and his loyalty towards Pontevedra, which, following the publishing of A NEW DAWN FOR SPAIN, the PP's manifesto for the 1890 General Election, had come into motion to try and censor the speeches and texts of the People's Party. De Valle personally read this speech in Valencia, the home of his publisher when he still anonymously wrote against the corrupt institutions of Spain, which greatly frustrated his attempts to relieve the poor in his Seville parish and to establish a School for the Young. There he joined the People's Party MP for Valencia in a rally in favour of the Manifesto, which was now also read in public to frustrate attempts to censor the People's Party.

NXgnHTP.png

PARTIDO AUTONOMISTA
{Free Trade/State Capitalism/Pluralism/Full Citizenship/Anti-Military}

Ideology:

Regionalism, Monarchism, Liberal Conservatism, Mutualism, Proto-Libertarianism

_________________________________________________________________________________________

FIRST NATIONAL CONVENTION OF THE AUTONOMIST PARTY
Palma, Mallorca

UB7hZTa.png

Organized in the wake of growing regional rights, the inaugural National Convention of the Autonomist Party was held November 12, 1889, in the traditional Regionalist power-base of the Baleares, with the explicit purpose of forging a more formal structure for the Party, resolving certain ideological disputes, and providing a greater communication-network between the leaders of the various regionalist associations of Spain.

The delegations follow*:

//Autonomist Party of Catalonia

Cesc A. Roma, DA (Duke of Menorca, Leader of the Autonomists in the Royal Audience, Secretary of State for Commerce and Industry)
Andreu Blanxart, CE (Baron of Reus)

//Autonomist Party of Galicia

Artur R.X. Rocha, DR

//Autonomist Party of Murcia, Andalusia, and Extremadura
Manuel Capello
Reynaldo C.E.F. Arce

//Autonomist Party of the Valencian Coast
Anastasio Terrazas, DA
B.R. Vives, DR

//Cooperative Party of Asturias-Cantabria
M. Rafa Aquino

//Party for the Basques
U.H. Etxeberria

//Red Party of the Baleares

Duilio Arreola, DR (Speaker of the Balearic Audience)
Quim Vilaró,
DR (Count of Ibiza)

Pol Carlos Castell, DA (Leader of the Balearic Delegation in the Royal Audience)

//United Movment for the Representation of Las Canarias
Victorino Vargas

*Not included: Jaume Mateu (Secretary of the Convention)

I, the Marquis de Pontevedra, present a protest before Your Majesty; the motion, which allowed for the responsibility of managing elections to be delegated to the regional level is, in my estimation, and in the estimable opinions of many other within the government, a wholly injurious development that will merely divide the Kingdom of Spain further; how, for instance, can we permit the separatist elements in the Philippines act unchecked, or the radical of Seville to warp their electorate? This merely infuses the Kingdom of Spain with bizarre regional rulings and deprives the Kingdom of the uniformity that it is in dire need of.

This motion, must be, in our opinion, revoked at once, and the previous system reinstated post-haste, lest this abomination be allowed to further creep into the Spanish system and pervert our legislative bodies with unrepentant radicals. This is a system wholly injurious to the stability of the Kingdom of Spain and cannot, must not, and I sincerely hope shall not become the electoral system of the Spanish Kingdom.

-

After censoring the latest addresses from the People's Party, and beginning a mass campaign too actually shut down their papers, the Marquis makes a formal announcement:

Of late, the so-called People's Party has issued forth a radical document, a Satanic manifesto that cannot be tolerated; it was, justly, removed from the public eye, and now as the election continues onwards, I had hoped that the matter would be the end of the matter; however, the People's Party has continued to assail the Government and insult the King, decry the system, and indeed promote treason - how else can supporting the violent overthrow the King of Portugal, our King's own brother, be regarded as such? His Majesty's Government has been exceedingly lenient in the past, and I personally have sought to maintain some modicum of decorum.

However, my hand has been forced. I must recommend before His Majesty that the People's Party be banned, that her presses be shut down, and her leaders arrested for a litany of charges, chief amongst them, treason and sedition.

Moderation and a willingness to approach and oblige them has proven to be immense failures, and I can no longer sit idly by whilst a party of revolutionaries continue to undermine the Kingdom.

-

"This was the third of De Valle's four minutes speeches, which would be published in all PP-aligned newspapers and periodicals." This would also happen to be the third of his speeches to be censored by the Government. The Marquis did not expect the censoring to end any time soon.

-

The Marquis then begins his own speaking campaign:

Since the beginning of my tenure as First Secretary of the Kingdom of Spain, the economy has rebounded from the depths of recession; most every household is provided for, a "safety net" of sorts has been provided for all peoples, taxes have been lowered, industrial growth fostered, and the military expanded - our victories in Portugal have secured Iberia, and the rebellion there shall soon be put down. What losses have been accrued are minor in providing for greater stability, for ensuring Iberia remains peaceful and stable, and for securing Portuguese markets for Spanish interests, I should very well add.

Domestically, I believe that a round of economic investment to combat the latest issues brought about by the war should and shall be used, and a series of effective reforms to the administration shall further improve the government - whilst the opposition preaches hatred of the Royalists, of pessimism and defeat abroad, and of doubt domestically, I remain soundly convinced that Spain shall overcome all present woes, and continue to grow and find stability.

The Kingdom of Spain shall, should the Royalists remain in power, continue to expand economically, colonially, and militarily; the opposition shall see our economy retract, our army shrink, our colonies rot, and our international prestige plummet. Only the Royalists believe fully and optimistically in the future of Spain, despite all hardship.

He then prints these across across government, Royalist, and conservative newspapers, whilst using the Society of St James to begin intimidation work across the remainder of Spain to undermine the opposition.

On Pontevedra
Don Francisco de Valle

The Marquess of Pontevedra said that his Royalists would introduce reform to foster economic growth and improve government. He did not mind the fact that the Minister of Industries, responsible for the economic growth under the Government, is no royalist, he even calls himself a liberal. Nor the fact that all reforms introduced in the last three governments were initiatives of the People's Party and its democratic allies. No, Pontevedra is content with lying not only to his supporters, but to the Spanish Public, for he does not wish to introduce prudent reform, au contraire, my friends, he wants to repeal the enfranchisement acts, which have given many hard working, pious and honest Spaniards the right to vote. For he believes the right to vote must be bought, by his friends preferably, for if only honest Spaniards were allowed to vote, he would lose his.

The Marquess has now returned to his previous designs to ban the People's Party and all who associate with us, for he fears you, my friends, and he fears what you stand for, but I assure you, that, like all his other attempts, they shall be in vain. We shall stand for our manifesto promises, and we shall bring the New Dawn to Spain. We have truthfully informed the public how we will achieve our positive view of Spain, the New Dawn, a nation of prosperity, democracy and peace. While the Marquess lies about his intentions and says that it is only the Royalists who will provide a positive message.

Friends, we know that this is not the the truth, and we know that only through unity against their unchristian platform that we can free Spain from his corrupt leadership. And if we achieve this, his evil plans to expand his corrupt and unpopular leadership to Portugal shall be foiled and Portugal and Spain may finally enjoy friendship, cooperation and unity between Peoples and Kingdom without Pontevedra's maleficent interventions.

This was the fourth of De Valle's four minutes speeches, which would be published in all PP-aligned newspapers and periodicals, while in major cities and other PP-strongholds, men would read out the speech to large parts of the Public. The first was the anti-war A New War of Independence in Iberia, which was well recieved among the many anti-war groups in Spain, who have losts their families in that useless struggle. The second, A New Dawn, focused on the traditional People's Party manifesto pledge of more democracy. The third, Against the Censors, was an open attack on the bureau of censorship, an organisation well-know for its bias against progress and his loyalty towards Pontevedra, which, following the publishing of A NEW DAWN FOR SPAIN, the PP's manifesto for the 1890 General Election, had come into motion to try and censor the speeches and texts of the People's Party. The fourth, On Pontevedra, was an reaction on Pontevedra's speech to Royalists, which was riddled with lies and the rumors that Pontevedra agains wants to ban the People's Party again. Don de Valle personally read this speech in Barcelona, one of the urban centres which formed the main arsenal of electoral pawer in Catalonia.

The "good" sir should remind himself that I am the one who proposes the budgets, and I have had a large influence in the general development of the economy, by way of subsidies, directing the Minister of Industry, and other measures and protocols developed by myself and the office of the First Secretariat. If there is a liar amongst us, Senor, it is quite obviously you - I do seem to recall one of us being tried and found guilty of libel. However, if the black priest wishes to continue pontificating on his virtues and his non-existent successes, be my guest; I have neither the desire nor the lack of respect to humour such banal ramblings in my presence.

However, if I must correct him other matters I shall; I have, as he well knows, proposed and supported various reforms to improve the lives of the Spanish public, as well as present the present budget which has drastically reduced the tax burden upon all of His Majesty's Subjects - of course, the criminal of the People's Party has no desire to admit these truths - his narrative and ambition are both far more important than honesty.

Regarding the ban of the People's Party, that group has routinely taken positions counter to the ethics of the Kingdom of Spain, lied, cheated, and manipulated the general public, insulted the Government, preached disloyalty to the Crown, and is presently led by a traitor - I have stated several times before, and now it seems I must again, point to the fact that the good Senor de Valle was amongst the revolutionaries in 1873 that sought to overthrow His Majesty. And he proclaims his loyalty.

In regards to the Portuguese situation, are we not obligated to assist our allies, and is His Majesty not obliged to assist his kin? Or does, perhaps, the good Senor value his own petty ambitions more than honouring our agreements and commitments of blood? Our actions in Portugal can only be lauded, as we preserved the lawful government and prevented a mass rebellion from fomenting and wreaking havoc upon our western neighbour; does de Valle wish only for instability and rebellion? Are those legitimate forms of protest and demonstration for him? Is violence his definition of democracy? And he ponders on why the People's Party is held in such disdain - they are nothing more than radicals who would use any means - violence preferably, it seems - to accomplish their goals.

I must further state that, despite my views on Portugal, and my general - though not total - support of the actions taken there, I neither ordered nor conducted that campaign, so the good Senor is directing blame at a figure wholly unassociated with the matter; that he has his "facts" wrong is not particularly surprising; indeed, it seems par for the course - his ignorance does seem to know no bounds, and his avarice and lust for power is equally limitless.

Lastly, His Majesty's Government is perfectly justified in ensuring that illicit and seditious materials are controlled and otherwise made unavailable.

I should also, in passing, announce that should the good senor continue to slander and libel me, I shall be forced to - yet again - take him to court over that matter.

-

Like the previous three addresses, the fourth was also censored, and the Marquis de Pontevedra expands his censorship efforts; lastly, he orders a cease to all movement and public addresses from de Valle whilst the present issue regarding the ban on the People's Party is deliberated. The Marquis expresses, quite politely, that refusal on that last matter would not be taken kindly.

PARTIDO POPULAR'S CALL TO ALL DEMOCRATS

Quite a number of political parties will be taking part in the coming Election. But by and large Spain is a country of two parties.

And the effective choice of the people in this Election will be between the Royalist League, standing for the protection of nepotistic interests and opposition to all reforms and democracy, and the People's Party, allied with Progressive Movement and the great Movimiento de Trabajadores Cristianos, standing for democracy, prosperity, peace and the wise organisation and use of the military assets of the nation for the public good. Those are the two main parties; and here is the fundamental issue which has to be settled.

The election will produce a People's Majority, a Royalist Majority, or no clear majority for either movement: this last might well mean parliamentary instability and confusion, or another Election.

In these circumstances we appeal to all Spaniards of democratic outlook, and who believe in constructive reform, to support the People's Party. We respect the views of those progressive Amarillos and others who would wish to support one or other of the parties of their choice. But by so doing they may help the Royalists, or they may contribute to a situation in which there is no parliamentary majority for any major issue of policy.

In the interests of the Kingdom and of Iberia, we earnestly urge all democrats to see to it - as they certainly can - that the next Majority is not a Royalist Majority but a People's Majority which will act on the principles of policy set out in A New Dawn.

This short message was one of the main messages of the People's Party to secure the needed legitimacy to end Pontevedra's near dictatorial reign of the Council of Ministers to reclaim the Kingdom for Christians and Democrats.

The "good" sir should remind himself that I am the one who proposes the budgets, and I have had a large influence in the general development of the economy, by way of subsidies, directing the Minister of Industry, and other measures and protocols developed by myself and the office of the First Secretariat. If there is a liar amongst us, Senor, it is quite obviously you - I do seem to recall one of us being tried and found guilty of libel. However, if the black priest wishes to continue pontificating on his virtues and his non-existent successes, be my guest; I have neither the desire nor the lack of respect to humour such banal ramblings in my presence.

However, if I must correct him other matters I shall; I have, as he well knows, proposed and supported various reforms to improve the lives of the Spanish public, as well as present the present budget which has drastically reduced the tax burden upon all of His Majesty's Subjects - of course, the criminal of the People's Party has no desire to admit these truths - his narrative and ambition are both far more important than honesty.

Regarding the ban of the People's Party, that group has routinely taken positions counter to the ethics of the Kingdom of Spain, lied, cheated, and manipulated the general public, insulted the Government, preached disloyalty to the Crown, and is presently led by a traitor - I have stated several times before, and now it seems I must again, point to the fact that the good Senor de Valle was amongst the revolutionaries in 1873 that sought to overthrow His Majesty. And he proclaims his loyalty.

In regards to the Portuguese situation, are we not obligated to assist our allies, and is His Majesty not obliged to assist his kin? Or does, perhaps, the good Senor value his own petty ambitions more than honouring our agreements and commitments of blood? Our actions in Portugal can only be lauded, as we preserved the lawful government and prevented a mass rebellion from fomenting and wreaking havoc upon our western neighbour; does de Valle wish only for instability and rebellion? Are those legitimate forms of protest and demonstration for him? Is violence his definition of democracy? And he ponders on why the People's Party is held in such disdain - they are nothing more than radicals who would use any means - violence preferably, it seems - to accomplish their goals.

I must further state that, despite my views on Portugal, and my general - though not total - support of the actions taken there, I neither ordered nor conducted that campaign, so the good Senor is directing blame at a figure wholly unassociated with the matter; that he has his "facts" wrong is not particularly surprising; indeed, it seems par for the course - his ignorance does seem to know no bounds, and his avarice and lust for power is equally limitless.

Lastly, His Majesty's Government is perfectly justified in ensuring that illicit and seditious materials are controlled and otherwise made unavailable.

I should also, in passing, announce that should the good senor continue to slander and libel me, I shall be forced to - yet again - take him to court over that matter.

-

Like the previous three addresses, the fourth was also censored, and the Marquis de Pontevedra expands his censorship efforts; lastly, he orders a cease to all movement and public addresses from de Valle whilst the present issue regarding the ban on the People's Party is deliberated. The Marquis expresses, quite politely, that refusal on that last matter would not be taken kindly.

"In my own mind, I am not 'directed' by any individual other than His Majesty, the King of Spain. Certainly, if the First Minister so desires, he may petition for my dismissal, such that he may be able to manage the Industrial Secretariat himself, under the notion that he is some higher entity than myself, capable of stating specifically what I ought to do and when I ought to do it. Yes, I must apologize for ever living underneath the notion that I am a free man of my own conscious mind.

"Setting this aside, I must admit that I have found the budgets proposed by the First Minister to be somewhat lacking, particularly in their failure to maintain a surplus during wartime, ill-conceived tariffs, and what has ultimately become counterproductive to the efforts of the Industrial Secretariat. If the First Minister, then, still desires to associate himself with what has been the least successful element of policy implemented by His Majesty's Government, then he has all the right to do so, but I do not imagine it will earn him a significant amount of fame..."

Cesc Roma,
Deputy for Girona,
Industrial Secretary

Francesco de Valle appears on the balcony of the Headquarters of the People's Party in Madrid, around the building, a Crowd loyal to the People's Party amasses to hear the Pater speak.

"Friends,

The Marquess has tried to ban Our Party two times before, but he has failed, as he could produce no evidence but his hatred for our cause and our beliefs! (The Crowds errupts into cheers) I fear not his third threat to ban the People's Party, for I know that even if the Courts, which he has tried to fill with his yes men, judge me to be guilty for crimes I did not commit, Christian Democracy in Spain will not die!

As the Marquess tries to crush all democratic and Christian thought in Spain, he sends out fathers, brothers and sons to die on the fields in Portugal. Why? Because he feared the democracy the legitimately elected Liberal Government in Portugal and he fears us, the Democratic and Patriots in Spain, who want a better Iberia and A New Dawn for Spain! And let me tell you a secret, he knows that he will not be part of that future. (Cheers erupt as the Crowd calls for a New Dawn)

He calls us violent, for wanting peace! He calls us radical, for wanting liberty! He calls us traitors, for wanting democracy! But we know that, no matter what he calls us, no matter how much he censors and threatens us, we shall bring A New Dawn for Spain, one of Peace, Prosperity and Democracy!" (The crowds continues cheering, while De Valle quickly leaves for the carriage stationed for him on the other side of the building)

- Don de Valle

This speech was reiterated across the nation by (prospective) People's Party MPs and volunteers, some PP clergymen even incorporated it in their sermons. Whether Don de Valle was arrested mattered not, he had become a symbol of democracy in Spain.

((I have written the last part of the IC in the fashion of Revan's small ICs meant to destroy all opposition)

Wartime deficits are typically to be expected, and indeed, as the intervention shall soon come to a close, our surplus shall assuredly return; however, the tariffs are an essential protective barrier to ensure cheaper foreign goods do not simply undercut our own domestic production, as was the case prior to my budgets - we should note that industrial growth prior to that was, at best, sluggish, and only improved drastically after a decisive turn towards internal affairs and domestic protection. These tariffs, therefore, can only be considered ultimately beneficial to the Kingdom of Spain, as they permit our economy to grow more effectively without placing a needless tax upon the incomes of the people, as I would imagine most all other measures would. The present system ensures domestic industry is protected whilst not overburdening His Majesty's subjects. I would therefore very much argue that it is amongst the most successful elements of the His Majesty's Government's economic plan.

I shall however, correct my term of "directing." I would perhaps have been better served by expressing my role as First Secretary in overseeing the actions of the other secretaries on behalf of His Majesty, as is the official role of the First Secretariat. However, the sarcastic tone of of Senor Roma is most unwelcome - you are indeed a free man, but you answer not only to His Majesty, but to the head of His Government in all day-to-day affairs that His Majesty does not deign to involve himself in - that person, that head of government, is, of course, me. Therefore, you are, to some degree, answerable to my person and should, I would suggest, follow the directives and missives sent by way of the First Secretariat to your office; that, however, is simply obvious, and I doubt I must clarify that any further,

In regards to the black priest, I find it humorous that a criminal revolutionary speaks so condescendingly, with that same pontificating tone, towards "Christians and Democrats;" I fail to see how a defrocked priest can speak to Christians, or how a violent revolutionary who desires the overthrow of monarchy everywhere it seems can be a "democrat;" I would instead call him a villain and a petty tyrant - it is highly insightful that he condemns me of dictatorship.

However, onto his message, if it can be called that: he simply wishes for more power to be directed towards his party. That is a simple reading of his statement, and it is quite hilarious, truthfully, that he combines this with claims of my overreach and ambition, when it is now quite apparent that between the two of us, he has shown far more ambition, far more viciousness, and sense of rebellion and disloyalty, and an unmitigated desire to seize power and undermine the Crown: I would call that ambition, tyranny, treason, and madness.

And yet he will defame me. And yet he will slander me and libel me, and attempt to smear my name across the dirt; I hereby am compelled yet again to sue him for the crimes of libel and slander, and I recommend that charges be brought forth regarding treason and sedition.

-

The good senor, in his latest address, again ties me to the intervention in Portugal, which I did not in anyway control - again, he shows a vast ignorance bordering upon Mongolism in his attempts to smear me. I do, of course, maintain my support for the necessary actions in Portugal, but I did not, and continue, to be uninvolved in their conduct or in the planning of any operations to it; Senor, if you have an ounce of honesty in you - which I sincerely doubt - stop this bizarre attempt to tie me to Portugal.

On the other matters, he merely attempts to defend his sedition and treasonous writings which have been justly censored; I will not waste my breath on them.

-

Pontevedra, again, censors de Valle's messages, intimidates volunteers and activists for PP, and pressures clergy to cease supporting this party; he counters them by using reactionary volunteers, clergy, and press to campaign vociferously on behalf of the Royalists, whilst expanding efforts to ensure the Royalists have some modicum of control over the vote counting, as well as more subtle efforts by the Interior Secretariat, citing their preeminent position and higher standing. De Valle had become a national symbol of revolution and violence in Spain, and Pontevedra a symbol of order.

500px-coat_of_arms_of_spain-svg1.png

TO THE STATE COUNCIL AND CABINET​

Gentlemen,

As the objectives of our campaign in Portugal, the restoration of the rule of law and authority of the legitimate government, have been reached, Our presence in this Kingdom is to be ceased. It is not Our intention to occupy this Kingdom or replace its Government, but only to act upon our agreements with the King of Portugal. And now We believe that the King of Portugal has enough men-at-arms at His disposal to control the situation on His own. Should He need certain small military contingent to stay in Portugal for some time or any other help from Us, We would gladly consider it, but currently the Spanish army is to return home.

For his valorous service against these who have not only disobeyed the lawful authority and committed multiple acts of violence, but have risen the antiSpanish flag, the Duke of Victoria would be promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General, become a Commander by Number (Encomienda de Número) within the Distinguished and Royal Spanish Order of Charles III and inducted into the Order of Calatrava. The officers and soldiers of the army would be rewarded by Us personally after their return to the homeland.

The prisoners taken by the Duke of Victory in Portugal would be handed to King Miguel, for they are His subjects and only he, the King and Sovereign, can judge their misdeeds.

God be with you.

FELIPE

Last edited:
Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández, using what little power he actually had over his own duties as Secretary of State for Grace and Justice, manipulated and bribed judges to give any member of the People's Party arrested because of the First Secretary's actions to censor or ban their party a lighter sentence or to get released entirely. Those already in jail suddenly found their sentences shortened for untold reasons.

I hereby ask for Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández to be removed from his post as Secretary for Grace and Justice; he has, since his appointment, proven to be massively obstructive, unhelpful, and indeed actively disloyal in his inaction and corruption. I would further recommend his actions, or more accurately lack thereof, be placed under review by the First Secretariat - it is my estimation that his deeds and misdeeds may well constitute crimes against the Crown.

~ Pontevedra

-

Pontevedra attempts, where possible, to reverse the actions of Fernandez, and further begins targetting his factories and businesses - removing subsidies and supporting rivals where possible, until he changes course on his actions or is removed.

Perhaps it is time I make myself clear then. I requested my resignation years ago, but it was denied. I cannot do my duties with the First Secretary counteracting my every action, thus I have chosen not to do anything. There is no point in me attempting to carry out the duties of my position when I have no freedom of action. I also second the First Secretary's call for my removal, for I'd rather return to my businesses than serve under this tyrant who thinks himself as powerful, if not more powerful, than His Majesty. This government is a disgrace and we'd be better of being ruled directly by His Majesty as God intended.

- Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández

Pontevedra meets little success with removing subsidies, for unlike the state factories, Fernando's are actually able to run on their own.

U.H. Etxeberria suddenly disappears one night in the Basquelands. He is never found again.

"I request a formal investigation into the disappearance of U.H. Etxeberria, who was a personal friend of mine, and who was known among the Basque people as a local political figure with great adoration for his home, Spain, and sharing his kindness with all whom he came in contact with."

Taking cues from the dictator Pontevedra, the Party for the Basques suddenly finds itself constantly and consistently harassed. 'Disappearances' of important party members happen often.

500px-coat_of_arms_of_spain-svg1.png

TO THE FIRST SECRETARY AND SECRETARY OF GRACE AND JUSTICE ((Private))​

Sirs,

The recent conflict between yourselves is a continuation of a long line of controversies connected with the appointments of the judges. We are displeased that both of you having been bringing the principles of partiality and partocracy into Our judiciary. The judges of the Kingdom should defend Law and Order, not the interests of political groupings. Otherwise it may lead to corruption and dishonesty even in non-political cases, which is dangerous for the welfare of this Kingdom.

This is why from this moment We want the judges to be appointed from the ranks of candidates who are loyal to the Throne and royal prerogative, but not associated with active politics and factions. We want professionals, men of knowledge and honor in these offices.

As for the procedure of appointments, We believe that, by Cabinet protocol and courtesy, the Secretary of State for Grace and Justice should appoint the justices solely - but, for the sake of the unity of Government, He should notify the First Secretary of his plans and decisions. Should the First Secretary disagree, he has the right to appeal the decision to Us - and Our decision is final.

Should somebody be willing to hand his resignation over Our decision, We would accept it, for we don't want this conflict to disrupt the administration of the Kingdom more. The King has spoken.

FELIPE

*The Party for the Basques receives secretive shipments of small arms from what are believed to be sympathetic regionalists from other parts of Spain, to be used in defending themselves against what is believed to be government harassment.*

Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández, pleased that the King finally intervened to hold back the First Secretary in some form, immediately set out to find the most suitable candidates for the judiciary, only selecting those with no party ties, especially no Royalist ties, and known as being non-partisan and loyal to the Crown. He passed on the list of candidates to the First Secretary, well knowing that for him to block any of these appointments would earn him the ire of the King. The judicial system would soon return to normal now that Fernando could actually do his job without Pontevedra hovering over him the whole time.