• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pontevedra in turn begins blocking the non-partisan appointments, and stonewalling wherever he could.

-

Due to several concerns in the Grace and Justice Secretariat, structurally and otherwise, to prevent a dearth of royal judges and ensure universal application and availability of the during this interim, provisional judges shall be appointed by the First Secretary until such a time that more permanent appointments can be made safely and surely.

~ Pontevedra

Last edited:
((Private - Marschalk))

To His Majesty, King Felipe VI

Your Majesty, I wish to express my extreme distaste with the First Secretary's inherent need to interfere in the business of my Crown-sanctioned duties. It appears that he is under the impression that he is still the Secretary of State for Grace and Justice, for he dictates what I can and cannot do. I find it most troubling that someone appointed by Your Majesty such as I is managed in such a way by anyone other than a sovereign. Seeing as I am unable to carry out the duties of my station as generously providing to me by your distinguished person, I suggest I be removed as Secretary of State for Grace and Justice and the position be granted back to the man that apparently believes it is his sole prerogative to rule this nation alone. Of course I am referring to the First Secretary, although I would prefer Your Majesty to be the only one with such power. I graciously thank Your Majesty for the opportunity and pray that the people of Spain don't start thinking the First Secretary is actually our monarch due to his habit of taking control of all affairs of state.

Your most humble servant,
Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández

La Samahan begins more prints, cartoons which frame Spain oppressors of freedom and the striking Filipinos common people fighting for liberty

Torn Asunder: 1885-1887

With the Niger Delta fully in the hands of the Spanish Kingdom, the Spanish colonial administration in Nigeria deemed it important to annex Sokoto fully in order to further organize the region under Spanish administration. Spain agreed to this measure, and King Felipe agreed to the full annexation of Sokoto. With the annexation of the Sultanate, Spain's government decided to organize the Niger Delta colony and the former Sultanate of Sokoto into the Colony of Nigeria. The hope is that by organizing the two separate colonies into one large colony, resource extraction and colonial administration would be easier. While this was happening, the Spanish throne and the Moroccan Sultanate were hammering out a treaty. Spanish authorities wanted to turn Morocco from a satellite state into a fully-fledged protectorate. Of course, there was much debate from the Moroccan Sultan, Hassan I, and the Spanish representatives. A treaty was signed though at the end, the Treaty of Fez, which turned Morocco into a Spanish Protectorate, annexing the state all-together. The Moroccan sultan managed to retain ceremonial power, but true power in Morocco now resided with the Resident-General from Spain. While Morocco and Sokoto were being incorporated into Spain at bayonet point, Spain decided to expand further into the African interior by attempting to colonize an area east of Nigeria. This area, called "Cameroon", would be a prime location to receive resources for Spain's growing economy. However, while the Spanish expedition was exploring the area, they encountered a French expedition in the same area. Turns out France from neighboring Kongo sent its own expedition in an attempt to colonize the region. If Spain wishes to colonize Cameroon, they would need to beat out the French before they can stake their flag in the region.

ng01_07a-1.jpg

(Nigerians working on a new railroad)

Back at home, a judiciary situation was arising. Following a reform of the cabinet, the Marquis of Pontevedra was replaced as Secretary of Justice by Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández, a Los Amarillos personal. While the Marquis was indeed bitter about the replacement (more-so that the "Judge-Jury-Executioner" part of his job was stripped), he still had a few words about Fernando's choices for judges in Spain. Most notably, Fernando was appointing Los Amarillos members to the positions. Not wanting to see the Royalist monopoly on the judiciary eliminated, Pontevedra asked that the judges be not appointed until the King has something to say. Fernando tried to appoint non-partisan (but still notably rich) persons instead, but Pontevedra shot that down once he realized that Fernando's judges were more liberal then he wanted, going as far as to make provisional judges to vacant positions until he feels that the Secretary of Justice is able to do his job. Both men have reportedly petitioned the King about the whole situation. Up until this point, the Secretary of Justice has been given the authority to appoint judges, with the King usually having to approve the selections. First Minister Pontevedra also proposed a new rule system for voting. As many people know, the voting system in Spain revolves around ownership of wealth, with those who own property having more of a vote in matters. The rules were put to the test though when seven merchants and traders earned enough money to buy property and have their votes counted on the same level as nobles. Pontevedra though was not really fond of this loophole, for he stated that "These men must earn their right to land through service to the crown, not through simply buying it." The rules were adjusted to distinguish between those who were born of wealth (nobles), and those who earned their wealth (capitalists and rich merchants), and each would have their vote treated differently. This pleased nobles, but angered many capitalists and merchants, as well as the middle-class who felt that their chances of receiving more representation were just shot.

fashion-tramp-hobo-homeless-homeless_people-poor_person-csl2171_low.jpg

(A British Cartoon poking fun at the Aristocracy of Spain through two merchants)

As the judges judged and the colonies colonized, Portugal was experiencing an election. Following the Liberal attempt to split Portugal from Spain's grasp, Miguel II dissolved the Portuguese Cortes and prompted new elections. While this was happening, riots and protests across Portugal were escalating in defiance of Miguel II's so-called attempt to appease their Spanish overlords. The election results were shocking to the Portuguese. Conservatives managed to take 63% of the vote, and won control of the Lower Chamber of the Portuguese Cortes. This was followed by the King announcing his new Upper Chamber, with over three-quarters of the Chamber being occupied by conservatives, as Liberals were completely shut out from the Upper Chamber. As soon as the results were out, the Liberal Coalition called "Fraud", and said that Spain had significantly poured funds into the conservative campaign and helped contribute to fraud in the hopes to keep Portugal under its boot. The riots and protests only escalated, with violent confirmations between the military and rioters. In one day in Lisbon, five rioters and two soldiers would die in a violent clash.

220px-Lu%C3%ADs_I_of_Portugal.jpg

(Some have even talked of bringing Miguel II's kinsman, Luis, onto the throne)

Miguel II hoped to alleviate the tension by visiting the country-side in a tour across Portugal. He planned on speaking to the masses to help calm them down enough to not murder his soldiers in the street. He started in Lisbon, and moved north. He visited the city of Porto, where his speech was met with mass protest and was ended by police intervention. He then turned to Covilhã, one of the largest Liberal strongholds in the country, and the location of the Head-Quarters of the Progressives, the largest of the three major liberal parties. Miguel II's train arrived in the town close to the Spanish-Portuguese border along with his Prime Minister, the conservative António Maria de Fontes Pereira de Melo, and aimed to speak with José Luciano de Castro, the former Liberal Prime Minister and leader of the Progressives. To his surprise, Castro was not there, but Miguel II wished to speak anyway. His carriage was barraged by protests, and Prime Minister de Melo advised the King to move on to the next town on the list. Miguel II told him "If I dont speak here, they will blow the train up as we leave." The next day, Miguel II ascended a podium built in the town before a crowd of angry liberals and excited conservatives. He spoke calmly with a tone of peace and reconciliation, and some say it was a relatively good speech... before it was interrupted. About three-quarters of the way through his speech, a gun-shot rang out in the square, and a bullet struck Miguel II in the shoulder. More gun-shots were heard as three more bullets were fired, all of which missed. Guards rushed the crowd and began pushing a way clear for the injured King, as he was taken back to his carriage and whisked off to his train. His tour of Portugal was over.

umbertass.jpg

(A journal showcasing a wounded Miguel II getting whisked away)

While Miguel II was recovering, Prime Minister de Melo decided that the time was right to pacify Covilha of those who would seek to see their King dead. 3,000 men from the Portuguese army were dispatched to Covilha with the goal of arresting de Castro and the leaders of the Liberal Coalition to be brought to questioning about the attempted murder of their King. When the men arrived in Covilha, they were greeted by an empty town. As the soldiers moved towards the residence of de Castro, they were suddenly set upon by armed militants as they began shooting the soldiers. The soldiers barricaded themselves down the road, but it was no use. The militants pressed on them in waves, and in the end, the soldiers were forced to retreat. 500 Portuguese soldiers were dead. By this time, Miguel II had recovered from his injuries. He declared that the Liberal coalition were traitors and enemies of the crown. He declared that the Liberals were now deemed rebels. As his words echoed across Portugal, liberal agitators were asking the Portuguese citizens to rise up against their oppressive King and government in the name of a free Portugal, a democratic Portugal, and a Portugal that shall not be controlled by an autocratic neighbor. Rebellion had broken out in Portugal, and now Miguel II must use the resources at his disposal to squash this insurrection.

Revoltosos_nas_barricadas_rotunda_5_de_outubro.jpg

(Liberal Rebels)

45,000 Spanish soldiers were ordered to camp near the border of Spain and Portugal in the event that their assistance in quelling the uprising was necessary. Miguel II told them that the situation was under-control, for his army of 42,000 was plenty enough to crush this petty uprising. King Felipe though was not one to sit idly behind and watch the Kingdom of his brother-inlaw burn. He decided that communication between the two was more essential then ever. He sent Ramón Blanco, 1st Marquis of Peña Plata as the military attache to Portugal from Spain in order to keep the King up-to-date on the situation in Portugal. Hopefully, the situation doesnt deteriorate any further then it already has...

--------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: You all have two days to do whatever you need to do. If bills are proposed, they shall be voted on

Last edited:
((Hi all in the chat, I am going away on holiday from tomorrow for just under 2 weeks. I am sorry, but it happens, I will try and connect to the internet to keep in touch with things, but i can't promise too much. Hope i won't be missed too much, and see you whenever I next do))

Honorable sirs, I do believe that I speak for many in this legislature when I say that there is no proper personal who is keeping order in this chamber. The State Council has its own President, so why cant the Audience have its own Speaker? I hereby propose the following to the Audience with the hope that we can obtain order in this environment.

Speaker Act

I. A new position shall be created called the "Speaker of the Audience".

II. The Speaker of the Audience shall have the power to control the course of debate in the Audience and shall have the duty to ensure that proceedings in the Audience are orderly.

III. The Speaker of the Audience shall be appointed by the majority party/coalition in the Audience.
a. If one cannot be found in a reasonable amount of time, the party/coalition with the largest plurality may select the Speaker of the Audience.
b. If the party with the largest plurality cannot fulfill this task, his Royal Majesty shall appoint the Speaker.
c. The King may also override the Audience's decision on who shall be the Speaker

-------------

Honorable sirs, for too long the middle class has not gotten its fair share in the polls. As other nations across the world have allowed their poorer citizens to vote, Spain still remains determined to keep to a system that favors the most wealthy individuals. As the recent rule changes made to the voting system hurts those who earn their wealth, I propose a system that makes the vote between the middle and rich class equal to avoid bias towards nobles or merchants. Also, I believe allowing the middle class more representation will keep their frustration down. I thus propose the following

Income Representation Equality Act

I. The current system of weighting votes of property owners over those of just wealth shall be abolished.

II. A new system that allows those of property and those of wealth to have equal votes for the Audience shall be established.

Last edited:
I believe that the latter of these proposed motions is utterly unnecessary and, indeed, opposed to the very notions that the agreements of 1873 were built upon; were I bolder man, I would perhaps propose a motion very much opposed to it.

Shortly thereafter a Royalist, likely at the assistance of the First Secretary, brings forth a motion:

Motion to Restrict the Franchise from Undue and Unfitting Persons
I. Noting that many of those who presently vote in the elections of the Kingdom of Spain are wholly unqualified to vote, either through lax enforcement of the laws, or a more liberal interpretation of such, and further noting the radical and wholly disloyal elements common within such sections, the franchise shall be made rigorous. In key point, the franchise shall be bestowed upon people with the proper qualifications, notably of an investment in the land of the Kingdom, and to certain other deserving individuals.
(Landed Voting)

Regarding the former proposal, I am utterly indifferent to it, though I believe this body cannot be made the arbiter of such an appointment, and thus I suggest the follow modification to hte third article:

I. The Speaker of the Audience shall be appointed by His Catholic Majesty the King, then to the First Secretary, and then to the Second Secretary, in descending order of precedence; that is, the Second Secretary is of least importance, and His Majesty of highest importance, whose decision - naturally - outranks all others.

I believe the second section of the unrevised article smacks of limitations upon the King's power, and thus should be stricken and instead revised along the lines suggested above.

Regarding the former proposal, I am utterly indifferent to it, though I believe this body cannot be made the arbiter of such an appointment, and thus I suggest the follow modification to hte third article:

I. The Speaker of the Audience shall be appointed by His Catholic Majesty the King, then to the First Secretary, and then to the Second Secretary, in descending order of precedence; that is, the Second Secretary is of least importance, and His Majesty of highest importance, whose decision - naturally - outranks all others.

I believe the second section of the unrevised article smacks of limitations upon the King's power, and thus should be stricken and instead revised along the lines suggested above.

*The proposer of the bill speaks*

The Audience should be able to control itself without the help of his Catholic Majesty. The Speaker of the Audience, the most important member of the Audience, should be selected among his peers in the Audience by the same peers. If we are to be an advisory body to his majesty, we need must appoint a Speaker to manage our affairs to help us advise his Majesty better. If his Majesty trusts us to advise him on matters of state, we should be allowed to appoint a man to manage our debates to better advise him.

As for the second concern of the Marquis, I do not see "Controlling the course of debate in the Audience" as a power of the King. I wish for the Marquis to clarify why the second section limits his majesty?

The Audience exists for the sole purpose of aiding His Majesty, and thus should be administered by Him and His Government; even you yourself conceded as much in your own proposal. Furthermore, it is simply not your place to determine what is and isn't a power of His Majesty; I would ask that you refrain from using further such inflammatory language.

If I must explain the obvious truth, I shall; that the power to select the Speaker of this body would lie, principally, outside of the powers of His Majesty, as you would design (and indeed, as you believe such powers are already alien to His Majesty), that in and of itself is an attempt at limiting his influence. His Majesty could, of course, choose to defer to the Audience on such matters, but to impose such a ruling before Him is simply outlandish. That only in certain cases would He be empowered to shape the course of a body designed to assist in His governance of the realm is utter madness, as He, being our sovereign, should have the right to intervene in our affairs at any moment of His pleasure or displeasure.

I would also question whether His Majesty truly trusts this body on matters of import; I certainly have my doubts about certain members.

~ Pontevedra

I believe that the latter of these proposed motions is utterly unnecessary and, indeed, opposed to the very notions that the agreements of 1873 were built upon; were I bolder man, I would perhaps propose a motion very much opposed to it.

Shortly thereafter a Royalist, likely at the assistance of the First Secretary, brings forth a motion:

*A Member from the Left stands Up*

Is the speaker mad?! This bill aims at removing the middle-class's right to vote under the farce of saying they do not have proper qualifications to vote! The middle class is already angry at the regime for its actions! If we are to remove their voting rights, it will be detrimental to the stability of the state and cause rebellion!

I also believe that if expanding voting rights is against the Compromise of 1873, as the speaker claims, then restricting it should also go against the Compromise of 1873!

*Another member of the Left stands up*

The previous speaker is right! The middle-class is already ready to rise up in revolt, we should not push it any further!

*A member of the Right stands up*

The middle class has done nothing but be troublesome to the regime! If we are to ensure total stability, these demagogues that stand against our monarch should not be allowed to express their voice in our Audience!

The Audience exists for the sole purpose of aiding His Majesty, and thus should be administered by Him and His Government; even you yourself conceded as much in your own proposal. Furthermore, it is simply not your place to determine what is and isn't a power of His Majesty; I would ask that you refrain from using further such inflammatory language.

If I must explain the obvious truth, I shall; that the power to select the Speaker of this body would lie, principally, outside of the powers of His Majesty, as you would design (and indeed, as you believe such powers are already alien to His Majesty), that in and of itself is an attempt at limiting his influence. His Majesty could, of course, choose to defer to the Audience on such matters, but to impose such a ruling before Him is simply outlandish. That only in certain cases would He be empowered to shape the course of a body designed to assist in His governance of the realm is utter madness, as He, being our sovereign, should have the right to intervene in our affairs at any moment of His pleasure or displeasure.

I would also question whether His Majesty truly trusts this body on matters of import; I certainly have my doubts about certain members.

~ Pontevedra

*The Bill Proposer stands up*

I do trust that his majesty can and will express his influence in this Audience, but the Audience should be the one in control of who is their Speaker. I will edit the bill to say that the King, and the King only, can override the Audience's decision on who is to be Speaker, but I feel that the most important member of the Audience should be selected by his peers in the Audience.

The Etxeto Clique is noticeably silent on the proposed bill by Bontevedra, indicating it's disapproval.

The good member would do well to recognise the fact that I did not propose the motion. He would also do well in refraining from insulting other members of this body, in particular those members who may also be sitting in His Majesty's Government.

-

Your counter-argument, if it could even be described as such, is weak, sir; it addresses none of my points, for you cannot form a counter to it. Furthermore, "but the Audience should be the one in control of who is their Speaker" is nothing more than a vacuous statement that should not have any bearing in how this body conducts its business. The Audience is solely accountable to the Crown, and it serves, as I've stated several times now, solely at the discretion of the Crown. Its powers, positions, and actions should be directed by such, and not from the petty divisiveness of this body, as we can already see is fomenting. I cannot understand why would allow such partisanship to become the powerhouse of this body, and I cannot fathom how any could reach the conclusion that such a system would be at all beneficial to the Crown.

~ Pontevedra

The good member would do well to recognise the fact that I did not propose the motion. He would also do well in refraining from insulting other members of this body, in particular those members who may also be sitting in His Majesty's Government.

*Another Speaker from the Left stands up*

That isnt a counter argument to what he said to the man who proposed the motion!

*A member of the Etxeto Clique leans over to his boss*

Should we say something about the other two bills though?

Get the fuck out of my clique.

Reactions:
I do not have to defend the bill; I do, however, have an obligation to both defend myself and more importantly the Crown. And I for one not see the inherent threat to the Crown in the motion proposed by the good member, unlike that other, which would radically expand the franchise to a host of unsavoury and unqualified persons.

I would also find it wise to make mention of the fact that insulting the government is itself a dubious act, and one that should be condemned wholeheartedly. Unless of course, the good member here has no desire to maintain the "dignity" of this body, or preserve the "dignity" of his party.

However, if I must defend the motion brought forth, here it is, quite succinctly. The middle classes have, in my estimation - a qualified estimation, I might, considering my many years in government dealing with internal affairs and the like - been a veritable hotbed of disloyalty to the Crown, as my good colleague pointed out. Even upon lowering taxes drastically upon them, and supporting the various factories and businesses that employ them - as well as founding a great deal more - they have maintained an utter contempt since the days of the Restoration. Why then, would it behoove us to reward a group that can broadly and accurately be defined as disloyal, when such attempts to placate and appease have failed so utterly? Indeed, to expand the franchise would merely serve as a means by which they can embolden themselves and force upon the Crown more unreasonable demands, demands that I cannot begin to fathom in the depths of their treasonous roots. The proposal by the good member, opposed to the first motion, is one that would, at least in the eyes of some, properly rectify the situation, and properly reward loyalty to the Crown.

~ Pontevedra

I do not have to defend the bill; I do, however, have an obligation to both defend myself and more importantly the Crown. And I for one not see the inherent threat to the Crown in the motion proposed by the good member, unlike that other, which would radically expand the franchise to a host of unsavoury and unqualified persons.

I would also find it wise to make mention of the fact that insulting the government is itself a dubious act, and one that should be condemned wholeheartedly. Unless of course, the good member here has no desire to maintain the "dignity" of this body, or preserve the "dignity" of his party.

However, if I must defend the motion brought forth, here it is, quite succinctly. The middle classes have, in my estimation - a qualified estimation, I might, considering my many years in government dealing with internal affairs and the like - been a veritable hotbed of disloyalty to the Crown, as my good colleague pointed out. Even upon lowering taxes drastically upon them, and supporting the various factories and businesses that employ them - as well as founding a great deal more - they have maintained an utter contempt since the days of the Restoration. Why then, would it behoove us to reward a group that can broadly and accurately be defined as disloyal, when such attempts to placate and appease have failed so utterly? Indeed, to expand the franchise would merely serve as a means by which they can embolden themselves and force upon the Crown more unreasonable demands, demands that I cannot begin to fathom in the depths of their treasonous roots. The proposal by the good member, opposed to the first motion, is one that would, at least in the eyes of some, properly rectify the situation, and properly reward loyalty to the Crown.

~ Pontevedra

*A Rightist Speaker stands up*

I agree! The middle class has been a pain in the side for the monarch since Carlos V!

*A Leftist Speaker stands up*

Wouldnt it infringe on the Compromise of 1873? The government did make a deal with the middle-class on this matter if I recall correctly!

I believe now it is your side that is not responding to me points. If you have nothing to say but empty platitudes, then please don't suffocate the room with your inanities.

~ Pontevedra

I believe now it is your side that is not responding to me points. If you have nothing to say but empty platitudes, then please don't suffocate the room with your inanities.

~ Pontevedra

*A Centrist Speaker stands up*

The Compromise of 1873 is a crucial part of how our government works, but it shouldnt be something that is thrown around to stop certain motions from passing this Audience. If we are to use the Compromise as a reason to prevent the current system from changing one way, then the Compromise should be used as a reason to prevent the current system from going the other way.