• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
500px-coat_of_arms_of_spain-svg1.png

To Miguel II, King of Portugal and the Algarves,
((naxhi- Private))

Dear brother-in-law,

I have sadly been informed on the plotting of the radicals within Portugal to damage its ties with the Kingdom of Spain - the ties which have existed for decades. I see it as a threat not only to relationships of the brotherly countries (which have mutual agreements and obligations which cannot be dishonored), but for your monarchy and throne.

You must understand that the people who are currently trying to force the hand of the Portuguese Government are the same jacobins who have in the past opposed the enthronement of your august Father, King Miguel I. It was the same breed that organized numerous rebellions against him., seeking to kill or overthrow this good Monarch. During all this time Spain acted as a loyal ally to Portugal - and protected it during the radical rebellions even with force of arms. Should this defense cease to exist, only God knows what might happen.

For this reason I urge you to preserve the dignity of your Crown and Royal Authority and reject the pretentious demands of these traitors. If any assistance from Spain (including military) is needed to restore your authority and public order would be needed, my Realm would, as always, stand by its longtime partner.

FELIPE

To Acting First Secretary of State, the Marquess of Pontevedra
((Revan -Private))

Your Excellency,

Having received your missive regarding Portugal, We most strongly agree with your opinion. This country. whose current monarchy owes its even existence to our support, cannot be subjugated to radicals wishing to end its ties with Spain. We ask you to get in contact with the commanding officers of Our army to prepare it for potential intervention - and at the same time contact important statesmen, influence peddlers and generals of the Portuguese Army so that they assist His Majesty the King of Portugal to make the right decision. If it would be necessary to make gifts or otherwise, you have the funds.

FELIPE

((TO THE CABINET + WAR COUNCIL + SECRETARY OF THE STATE COUNCIL - Private))

Gentlemen,

We must note that We find the acquisition of the Port of Shanghai a a happy event that has much potential for the Spanish overseas empire. Not only the lands of China are rich with lucrative goods, but the people of this country are more cultured than then the inhabitants of the Black Continent and value the principles of decent behavior and obedience to authorities. Under the reign of so-called *heavenly kings* many of these were taught certain principles of Christianity, if perverted and heretical, It would be easier for us in proper time to bring the light of proper faith to them.

We have established a foothold in China. Now we need to exploit the opportunity. We believe that several variants exist there - and both demand cooperation of other two European powers that currently hold fiefdoms in China, the United Kingdom and Empire of Russia.

We could reach agreement with Russia and United Kingdom and pressure the Taipings into giving us such economic concessions that the three countries would monopolize the European-Chinese trade. All goods would come to China and from China only with our permission, through us and with us receiving a commission. It is only natural for we, as the holders of ports in China, are now the agents of the West in these lands. We believe that if such agreement ... is reached with the Chinese, the three countries in question could form a united Chinese Imperial Company to coordinate their efforts.

A second opportunity relates to outright expansion. Our Kingdom, Russia and the United Kingdom could delineate spheres of influence within the lands of Taiping - so that any future conquests are conducted in accord and do not lead to disagreements.

We hope that Our government would voice their opinion on these matters and would take necessary measures to work out the precise mechanism of such enterprises and organize negotiations with the parties in question.

FELIPE

To the Count of Riner
((Keinwyn - Private))​

General,

We must congratulate you on your loyal and excellent service both in Nigeria and China. For bringing new olands under the authority of Our Crown you would immediately be promoted to the rank of Major General, would become a Knight within the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Charles III and be inducted into the Order of Calatrava. We also appoint you as temporary Military Governor of Shanghai.

While We know that you do prefer the pleasures of Madrid to foreign endeavors, We need you to perform an important mission. First of all, you should, of course, solidify our position in Shanghai - but remember that this port is the gates towards further expansion, be it economical and political, in this region. This is why We need you to establish a ring of important agents of influence within the realm of the so called heavenly king that would assist our further objectives, as well as maintain cooperative relationships with your counterparts in the Russian and British domains. Should you need any assistance from the War Secretariat or other governmental organs, feel free to address either them or Us directly.

God be with you.

FELIPE

((TO THE ROYAL COURT))​

The Royal Household is happy to announce that to celebrate the acquisition of the port of Shanghai and the birth of H.R.H Infante Carlos, the Prince of Asturias, and H.R.H Infante Blanca, the Great Eastern Masque Ball would be held in the Royal Palace of Madrid.

The Ball woulds start eight o’clock in the evening and end at midnight. Any guest of the ball is obliged to wear a Costume and a Mask which would relate to the tales, history and legends of the East and not to reveal his identity until midnight - when all masques would be taken off.

The guest of the ball would be entertained by classical music, charades, a game of riddles and a special royal lottery with valuable prizes.​

Last edited:
((Private - Naxhi))

To the Most Honourable Marquis Inoue Kaoru, Foreign Minister of Japan

Konnichiwa,

I humbly ask you to help my people, the poor people of the Philippines, free themselves from the shackels of oppression imposed on us, much like the Unequal Treaties imposed on your people, by the Western power, in particular the Spaniards, who treat our people only as slaves, and use us only as a way to pay for their decadence feasts, while the Filipinos toil away, slowly killing themselves in Hellish conditions. Help us, I ask you, to free ourselves from foreign peoples, as the Meiji government have done with Japan, and trust in us that we will not forget the kindness that I currently ask of you, if you simply help recognize and fund our fight against the imperialists. Helping us, the Filipinos, would only help you, the Imperialist forces can only limit our growth. Helping your kind neighbors, in freeing ourselves from them, the West. the foreigners, can only weaken their Imperialist forces. They may be strong, but I trust that together, we are stronger.

May God be with Japan,
Simon Mercado.

P.S Please keep this secret, I do not know what the Spanish would do if they know about this.

((Private - Naxhi))

To the Most Honorable Marquis of Salisbury, and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs

Good Day,

I sent this letter to ask for help in my personal cause for freedom in my homeland, that being the Philippine Islands. I ask for help from your government, to free my people, the Filipinos from the filth that is Spain, the filth that still strangles your allies on Iberia, Portugal. As I ask for your help in our cause, the cause of Freedom, against Spain, which would weaken them, which would make it easier for your influence to rise throughout the Peninsula. They have imposed their will on us, as they have done with Portugal. I know that this us certainly no small task that I ask of your government, but it wold only help you and your government. Help us, and our people will not forget your kindness.

God Bless, and God save the Queen,
Simon Mercado.

La Samahan sends men to Shanghai, having them meet and gain the trust of the colonial soldiers, and attempting to have them join their cause. They know that they are trained by the Spanish and would be a useful tool in the fight for freedom.

((Focus - Soliders))

Last edited:
((Private Mars))

Dear Brother In-law.

I write to you personally rather through my official messengers to discuss the situation in Portugal. It was only a decade prior that I allowed elections in this country, around the time you were introducing elections in Spain. The Liberals have gained mass amounts of popularity from the nobility and middle class, allowing them to gain the majority in the Chamber of Deputies. Many members of the Chamber of Peers are also Liberal aristocrats who are planing on passing the resolution in their body (I believed that they were acting in my interest when appointed, but the Liberals swayed even the most conservative bunch to vote for the Resolution). I do not, for the sake of my wife and your sister, and for the sake of the relationship between Spain and Portugal, wish to see Portugal attempt to leave. Yet, there are many in Portugal who still call me "The Son of a Spanish Usurper", and I fear they would use my rejection of this resolution to further their cause for possibly getting a new King.

I fear that the British will force my hand in this matter as well. The British have been slowly influencing my legislature for years with its investments. The British have been against my family since the Liberal Wars, when they sided against my father in removing him from his throne. I also fear the new Orleanist King whose family was against my family will play a part as well to aide the Liberals. With these two nations possibly encouraging my people to split off from Spain, I fear that I may have to give in to keep my throne.

Help me brother, advise me on what I should do.

-Miguel

Last edited:
A grand arrival

He was most enthused when he heard of the event held by the monarch, the idea of the east enchanted him, and he knew what he could wear, perhaps colourful to the extreme, but then again, from what he has heard of the orientals, that was their way of style. And so he stood patiently in front his mirror, his servants tying his, of rich and lusciously soft silk, white 直裾 (( Zhí jū)) around him, the garment accented by a fine gold sash. Over the top, they placed a fine, also of silk, 褙子 ((beizi)) it becoming almost as one with the lower layer, but instead of white, this was picked out in blue, with black accents, not gold this time.

A final touch,aside from his concealing mask, was his headpiece. It was bizarre for the man to have his hair up in a topknot, but he desired to go the extra mile tonight, he was a prince, and he should show it. A fine golden 火 ((huǒ)) piece, set atop a gold and fire opal head bracelet, which seemed to be alive when in the right light, set through with a jet needle to ensure stability, finished his main decorations.

With the grace he always possessed, he glided down his steps, and rumbled in his carriage, a more choice bamboo cane in hand- to stabilise his movements, should he have an unfortunate slip with his condition- All too soon he arrived, and thus the gentleman adorned his mask, a fine piece of metal work, the dragon so finely shaped and crafted it looked as if it could fly off to soar off to the dwindling light of the day. The rose gold caught every beam and the ruby absorbed any and all reflection, a seeming spot of blood on the fine mask, adding to the allure of the all but unrecognisable appearance of the man, or as he was tonight, the 五相龍太子 ((Wǔ xiāng lóng tàizǐ)) .

Last edited:
((Private))

Setting: The Royal Masquerade

At Rise: A dark figure looks over the site of the masquerade. The mask he wears is one representing Sun Wukong, or the "Monkey King," although he does not carry with him the staff of his namesake. He has no intention of causing a problem at the Royal Ball - but he could not avoid seizing an opportunity to cause a stir among the Royal Court, and with that in mind, has removed himself from the man he was - Cesc Roma - and instead has assumed the role of a dark phantom.

*The Monkey King stealthily finds his way into the Royal Ball through an underground passage*

M.K.: "Yes, the wind does blow soft on a night like tonight..."

((The Royal Masquerade - Private))
The servants were doing their best to prepare the halls of the Royal Palace of Madrid for the ball – which was about to begin in half an hour. The spacy rooms were today decorated in the Chinese (or, as a more tasty person would say, Chinoserie) style. There were falence and original porcelain vases of various shapes and forms – some of them so big that a person could hide inside them. There were the mahogany tea tables embellished with fretwork glazing and railings. There were the masterfully painted wallpapers depicting pagodas, dragons and floral designs. There were numerous paper lanterns. The entrance into one of the apartments was blocked by big straps of black material – there was the *mystique labyrinth*, where future games were to take place. In a special small corner pipes with aromatic tobacco of various sorts, some unknown in most of Europe, were prepared for the smokers.

In a room behind the main hall two masked persons were talking and sipping cooled wine.

- It is so fun, dear! I always found these Chinese, with their cowtowing and thoughts that they are the centre of the world so comical! – one of them, a slender woman exclaimed. Her face was covered by a mask shaped as a white-and-red fox head, with a small ruby on its forehead and "smiling" eyeslits. The evening dress of the Kitsune (for the lady was impersonating this cunning and mischievous shapeshifter of the Japanese folklore) was of orange silk – it was supposed to symbolize the color of the body of the magic vixen. She also had a big fan shaped as a tail of the fox. – You know, when I first came to Spain, I was a bit afraid I would be bored here… I had a nanny, who kept telling me that the Spanish only pray and have no sense of humor.

The interlocutor of the Kitsune was a tall man with a dignified posture of a person that is used to authority. He was wearing a mask of a Fenghuang, a Phoenix from the Chinese mythology. Lilac and gold, it was covered by small jewels and sported a protruding sharp beak. The shoulders of Fenghuang was covered by a long cloak, decorated by red feathers and silver figures shaped as sun, moon and stars. – I am glad you like it. But we also owe it to you, you know. Before you came, the Court was more like a military barrack.

The Kitsune gently covered the hand of Fenghuang with her delicate palm. – You know, some of my maids of honor are just BEGGING me to visit the corrida with them. But it is very brutal, is it not? Small wrinkles of concern have appeared upon the forehead of the Kitsune under the material of her mask.

Fenghuang played with the fingers of Kitsune for a while, before laughing abruptly. – You know, we can arrange it here in the Palace. Just leave the Marquess of Pontevedra and Pater de Valle in one room – and here you go…Both the man and woman chuckled, and then the Fenghuang changed the topic. – You know, my brother-in-law from Lisbon has written to me. Has some worries about the position of your father regarding him. Could you write to King Louis to help this man master his fears?

- I do hope both he and your dear sister would come to the ball! They are nice people! – exclaimed the Kitsune – and then an elderly chamberlain entered the room and bowed before the masked couple. – Your Majesties, the guests are arriving. The man in the Phoenix mask grinned. – Now, now, Viscount. Until the midnight we are the Fenghuang and Kitsune, remember. The chamberlain bowed again. He was nearly seventy and did not understand these new leisures. Then the Kitsune and Fenghuang have risen and, walking through a little arch, mixed with the crowd of guests.

phoenix_mask_by_namingway-d5dtnc9.jpg

white_kitsune_mask_by_namingway.jpg

To Miguel II, King of Portugal and the Algarves,
((naxhi- Private))
Dear Brother-in-law,

If you are seeking my advice, I believe you must understand one thing very well – accepting such a traitorous resolution, you would not only lose the friend and protector of your monarchy, but demonstrate the weakeness of the Crown. As the King, only you are responsible for the policy of your country. It is your duty before God to guide it, not be guided by your underlings. If you now would allow to push yourself towards such decisions and let the group of people that are not sympathetic towards you usurp your power, what would come next? What if they next make a resolution demanding your abdication from the throne?

I believe that you must demonstrate firmness and ascertain your authority over the country. The Chamber of Peers is appointed by yourself – so its current members have betrayed your trust they may be removed - or you could simply appoint any additional number of Peers. You should reject the motion and, if the chamber of deputies causes you any problems over it, dissolve it and restore public order by any means possible. As I said, I am ready to assist you militarily in any possible negative situations. This is how your father dealt with insurrection and disobedience many years before – and this is how it may be done again. I can also send you good advisors, police and executive experts, from the Office of the Marquess of Pontevedra, that would, if necessary, assist you to reshape the law enforcement organs and help you to get the upper hand in the internal situation in Portugal.

You say that the middle class and the upper classes backed the current chamber– to this I can say only that the value of each voting law is relative. If this one has stopped to serve its purposes and the wealthy classes have ceased to be constructive and patriotic, perhaps you could appeal to other forces and groups that would serve your objectives better. However I would be able to give you more concrete advise only when I get better information regarding the happenings in Portugal.

However, whatever means you would choose to restore order – whether it would be, say, a simply restuffing of the Chamber of Peers, a change of voting laws or, say, temporary rule by decree, I would support you. As for the other realms you mentioned, you know that the current King of France is my father-in-law and that the current Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Lord Salisbury, is a man of a very conservative mind, by British standards. I would reach out to them to improve your standing in their eyes, if necessary.

FELIPE

To Right Honorable Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
((naxhi24 -Private))

My Lord of Salisbury,

Hearing of you as a man of great mind and reason, a sound nobleman and a public servant, We have decided to address you personally.

Today My realm, your homeland and the Empire of Russia currently have the honor of being the pioneers of the European expansion in China. Currently We have the upper hand there – and therefore now there are two roads. Either we indulge in petty competiveness that would only hinder our successes and lead to other players emerging in this area. Or we work out a united strategy and fair divison of profits and spheres of influence that would benefit all three countries and let them, in fact, dominate in the European-Chinese trade and be the main agents of the West in this region.

For this reason We believe that it would be useful for the representatives of our three realms to meet and discreetly discuss the Chinese question.

We would be glad to hear from your government.

FELIPE

To Alexander III, the Emperor of Russia
((naxhi24 - Private))

Dear Cousin Sandro,

First of all, I thank to thank you for your kind cooperation during our campaign in the East. We would always be as good as friend to you as you were to us.

I must tell you that I believe that the region of China has great potential. Not only does it contain most valuable resources, its people, while suffering under barbarous leadership, are diligent, prone to obey the authorities and (I believe) may be worthy subjects if they are integrated into the civilized world.

We, the countries who currently have planted their flags there, should, I believe, exploit the unique opportunity we now have – the opportunity to dominate and monopolize the European-Chinese trade. For this reason it is important that the three realms that are currently represented in the region act in a united fashion and reach clear agreements on the division of the influence spheres in China. For this reason I suggest that the representatives of the United Kingdom, Spain and the Empire of Russia would meet and discuss such an arrangement.

FELIPE

Miguel II Rejects Resolution and Dissolves Cortes, Prompting New Elections

Today in Lisbon, Miguel II rejected a proposition by the Liberal Government to remove Spanish control over many aspects of Portuguese society. The resolution proposed passed the Portuguese Cortes and was overlooked by Miguel II before it was rejected. This caused massive uproar among the Liberal Government and the Liberal Parties of Portugal, as they protested the King's will to remain "A Puppet of Spain". In response to the rising militancy among members of his Liberal Government aimed at him, Miguel II had the Portuguese Cortes (Both Chambers) dissolved and prompted for new elections in the Chamber of Deputies. For the Chamber of Peers, the King aims on replacing those who voted for the resolution, sparking anger among many aristocrats who viewed themselves as aiding the Portuguese monarch by voting for this resolution. Liberal protests have already begun on the streets of Lisbon, as the Portuguese military is put on standby to deal with the threat of rebellion. At the same time, Spanish troops have been reportedly been put on alert as well and moved closer to the Portugal-Spanish border. Reports are also coming in (though not confirmed), that two British ships were spotted off the coast of Northern Portugal, in response to the crisis enveloping the United Kingdom's special interests in Portugal.

Reactions:
Salbatore reads the newspaper with the Portuguese monarch's decision, before angrily calling to an aide. "Send a letter to the socialists in Portugal urging them to rebel. If they can insight the masses against the king, they can take over the government and add a very nice ally to our movement. See that it's done."
The aide begins to leave, before Senor Verdejo adds one last thing."make sure you don't get caught. I want our best men to deliver it."

Fellow people,

I sent this to you, asking only a simple question, if you saw your sister, or mother or any female you care about, RAPED, by another, what would you do? Would you fight the monster, and try and stop this madness. Would you let her take it? And not care about her? NO! I trust that everyone of us, would help her! But what if, instead of a female you love, rather it was your home? Your country? Being raped by a nation, being raped by Imperialist forces, forces that only wishes to use our wealth, to fund their feasts? While many in our country are poor and starving, many in our country is being forced off their homes, by the rich owners of haciendas, who only care about themselves, like the Imperial forces that occupy our country today! Will we let them rape our country? By letting them use wealth that could be used in furthering our nation, but only in letting those pigs get fat, while our children starve in the streets? We must fight back! Let us be a beacon of hopeful and prosperity to our neighbors! We can prosper, we can become the greatest nation on God's earth, but if we strike off these chains imposed on us by the Peninsulares, the Spanish. Let us our people, let our nation be powerful! Yet unlike those in the Peninsulare, let us not give power to people like Marquis de Pontevedra, who only want to help themselves and no one else, even those who helped them get to where they are today, let us give power to the people. The Filipino people. But first, let us be free of the chain imposed by Spain. But in order to be free, we fight! The only true freedom that we can have, is free from Spain! Will you help us in freeing ourselves? Will you help us, help your people, in a good fight? The fight for freedom?

((Focus on Poor and Middle Strata))

Riots and Protests in Portugal Escalate as Portuguese Crackdown Begins.

Today, members of the Liberal Coalition in Portugal were arrested on charges of treason against the state. "It is against the nature of the monarch itself to question the judgement of the monarch, which the leaders of the Liberal Coalition have done." said Miguel II in a statement following the arrests. Former Prime Minister Castro, members of his former government, and many top Liberals in Portugal were arrested on the bases that the protests against the King's decision in regards to handling the Spanish problem was "treasonous" in its nature. After the arrests of the Liberals, many middle-class members of Portuguese society began mass protests across Portugal in cities such as Lisbon and Porto. In Lisbon, the situation grew from a protest into a riot, with wide-scale looting and pillaging from the civilian population. Miguel II has declared martial law in Lisbon following these nights of violence, and the military has been deployed to keep order. All that is known is that these elections will be very heated, and the fate of Portugal lies in the balance.

((Private: War Council))

It is recommended that, due to the sudden surge of instability and violence in the Kingdom of Portugal, the Royal Army should be dispatched to relieve pressure upon our allies in Lisbon in a show of solidarity.

~ Pontevedra

-

((Private: His Majesty))

Your Majesty,

It would, perhaps, be wise to make use of our position in Asia, and our close relations with the Russian Empire as a bargaining chip to cajole the British into non-action with regards to the Portuguese crisis. In all likelihood, the Russians - being so disposed against the British by nature of their conflicting interests - would be unlikely to object, and indeed could see a means by which to advance their own position in Europe further. Should the British refuse, it would allow both our of states to then expand our interests in China with impunity, should we do so in a concerted and reasonable manner to dissuade the British from taking action against us.

Pontevedra

Parties of the Election of 1885

Partido Popular de España
Interventionism - Protectionism - Moralism - Anti-Military - Limited Citizenship

Leader: Don Francisco Pater de Valle
Ideology: Christian Democracy

The Partido Popular de España (People's Party of Spain, PP(E)) was the first official national political party in Spain, being officially founded on the 25th of February 1874 in Madrid by writer and theologian Don Francisco Pater de Valle and various well-known Castillian and Andalusian theologians, clerical officials, members of the educated middle class and pious upper class. Although the reformist Pater de Valle was chosen as his first chairman, mostly because his more broader appeal to the middle and lower classes for his writings, the Partido Popular de España is largely centrist with large moderate and conservative factions, vying for influence in the young party. The Partido Popular de España, although enjoying some ties with the aristocratic and religious upper class, maintaints strong ties with the Middle and Lower Classes through the Party newspaper, El Tiempo, founded and supported by Pater de Valle and employing many of de Valle's colleagues in the literary world he had met on his travels through Spain. The Newspaper is generally considered to be Centre to Centre-Right, moving from previous Centre-Left orientation after collisions with the Censor Office. The Party has, under the auspices and strong control of the Spanish Government, supported the creation of a conglomerate of moderate trade unions named the Movimiento de Trabajadores Cristianos, with the Secretary-General of the Movement being a close friend of the PPE Leadership. These three organisations have repeatedly been called the temporal pillars of the Church in Spain.

The Partido Popular de España believes in a strong, united & pious Spain and will advise the Government to enact measures to strengthen it, these measures would include the expansion of subsidies for religious education across Spain in stead of a highly underfunded and Castilliancentric education system, which robs countless children from highly valued temporal and moral education. The Partido Popular de España believes in support for Spanish farmers and labourers, who form the backbone of the Spanish nation, and the abolition of defacto slavery still commonplace in the form of day labouring in the impovrished countryside and the deplorable situation in which labourers live. Moderatism and Unionism form the basis of the Partido Popular de España's reform policy, it maintains that longlived and beneficial political reform can only be provided through moderate reformism, thereby preventing either the disintegration of the Spanish Kingdom through wide-spread localist reforms and the destabilization of the Spanish Kingdom through radical reforms blind to the unique social and political situation and era we currently live in. The Partido Popular de España also recognizes the priviliges of the Spanish freeman, but motions that the foundation of every successful state is the adherance to the call of duty to every freeman from the community. Lastly, the Partido Popular de España supports the Royal Spanish Armed Forces in their mission to protect the Spanish Kingdom and its people, however, it believes the pen is more preferable than the sword and will seek to prevent wars, both internally and externally, from harming the Spanish Kingdom and its people.

Partido Autonomista
Protectionism/Interventionism/Moralism/Full Citizenship/Anti-Military

Leader: The Duke of Menorca
Ideology: Regionalism, Monarchism, Liberal Conservatism, Mutualism, Proto-Libertarianism

Formed out of the loose arrangements of the Movimiento Rojo, the Partido Autonomista was the culmination of Cesc Roma's gradual takeover of his uncle's political movement, which had moved the party away from the general apolitical positions of Eloi Roma, and towards the Proudhonian economics of the Duke of Menorca's mutualist explorations. As a result, when he made the decision to officially merge the most successful regional associations of Los Rojos, the Duke found himself overseeing the establishment of a political party which was a syncretic mixture of ideologies.

The most significant element of Las Autonomistas was that the new organization had a much more formal and rigid hierarchy and campaigning mechanism, although their pursuit of regionalism was not significantly dulled by this merger, and the Partido Autonomista continued to grant local chapters of the party a great deal of autonomy, particularly in regard to campaigning, which was still a decentralized process, although the new political infrastructure was intended to assist in achieving more widespread electoral successes.

Movimiento por la Libertad
Laissez-Faire - Free Trade - Pluralism - Pro-Military - Limited Citizenship

Leader: Duke of Sevile
Ideology: Liberalism

Commonly known simply as the Movimiento or the MpL, the Movimiento por la Libertad was originally an underground liberal movement founded in 1873 and led by Córdoba lawyer Cristóbal Aldecanta. Its goal was to end the absolutist regime and establish a constitutional monarchy which protected the rights of the Spanish people, severely limited the power of the King, and allowed for democracy to reign supreme in Spain. It was behind the "Revolution" of 1873 and the subsequent negotiations that led to moderate reform of the Spanish political system. With political parties finally being allowed, the Movimiento has moved beyond a simple movement and has organized into a national liberal party.

The Movimiento believes that the government should have a limited role in economic decisions and that trade should be unrestricted. It believes strongly in the needs for further reform in order to secure true liberty for all Spaniards and to further strengthen and expand Spanish democracy. At the same time, it also seeks to protect those rights that have already been given to the Spanish people from those forces which would see them revoked. It does not support the use of violence to achieve reform and advocates going through the established system to do so.

Liga Realista
State Capitalism / Protectionism / Moralism / Jingoism / Limited Citizenship

Leader: The Marquis of Pontevedra
Ideology: Carlism, Royalism, Traditionalism, Archconservatism

La Liga Realista was largely devised by the Duque de la Victoria, the Marquis de Pontevedra, and several other nobles, though it sought to establish itself as a broad-tent organization of people. Its overarching goal is the support of traditionalist and conservative views and its leadership and members are dedicated to defending the spirit and essence of the Carlist Spain. It reaches out to all classes of society - priests, nobles, rural landowners and conservative peasants, as well as officials, officers and other representatives of the conservative middle class. It advocates cohesion between all social classes, firmly stand in defence of the moral values and religion, as well as loyalty to the Throne. The League believes in a strong army and advocates for its active development, proactive colonial policies, maintenance of the Spanish overseas empire.

Los Amarillos
Laissez Faire | Free Trade | Moralism | Pro-War | Residency

"Leader": Luys Blas Ximon Hortun y Llorente Etxeto
Ideology: Economic Liberalism, Social Conservatism, Royalism

Los Amarillos was a court faction set up by the Marquis de Riojo's grandfather, Dom Barros Etxeto. In the wake of the formation of national elections by the King, and the failure of the establishment of a suitable party, the Etxeto household (under the steady hand of the current Dom Etxeto) used it's influence to recreate the Yellows, which had been forgotten by the court and de facto defunct by 1864 and the passing of late Dom Barros Etxeto.

Although Dom Luys Etxeto has the powers of the Etxetos behind him, this is not expected to be a powerful counter to the likes of La Liga Realista.

El Movimiento Socialista
Free Trade - Planned Economy - Moralism - Pro Military - Full Citizenship

Leader: Salbatore Verdejo
Ideology: Moderate Socialism, Monarchism
The Movimiento Socialista, or the socialist movement, begun as a coalition of socialist groups across Spain's cities, and has come out in force for the 1879 elections. It is primarily focused in the middle class, with few nobles supporting its unorthodox platform. It has gotten a headquarters in Madrid, and with its Chairman, Salbatore Verdejo, it has begun to challenge the established parties. It has founded a newspaper, known as the worker, which extolls the virtue of the worker and tries to keep all references of Republicanism locked away (in order to keep its license). It's national union is gaining traction as well among the poor industrialists, though they can't vote.

The Socialist Movement supports the monarchy, and believes the Carlist Kingdom and Socialism can coexist peacefully. It favors free trade, a planned economy to better make use of the worker, and the Catholic Church. It will work to bring greater voting rights to the common person, and greater endowments to art and literature. It is nationalistic, very uncommon among socialist parties of the time, and will support the expansion of the Spanish Monarchy overseas and at home.

----------------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: Please vote in the election. Please also remember that IC is important during these elections. Election ends Tuesday at 9:00 PM EST or Wednesday at 1:00 AM GMT

Party: PPE/PA/ML/LR/LA/MS
[/QUOTE]

[imagine a picture of a dignified looking gentleman here, or a haggard bum eating out of a bag, it doesn't really matter]

Name: Juan Doh
Date of Birth: April 1st, 1848
Place of Birth: Barcelona, Spain
Background: Average schmuck who bumbled into enough wealth to literally just barely qualify to vote

Bio:
A man without principles, motives or really much interest in politics whatsoever other than for the spectacle, Juan Doh plans to vote for whatever party can write the most amusing and/or profanity-laden reason for him to vote for them. He enjoys the idea of waiting to see what new lows the Spanish "political system" will stoop to.

((Yes, an unfunny joke character. He's a placeholder until I get a better idea))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Party: Royalist League

Party: PPE

Party: LA

- Fernando Armando Hernando Rolando Fernández

((Just a note that since we've hit the election, I'm officially retiring Dr. Gregorio Moscoso as my playable character. All votes will now be by Fernando.))

Party: Royalist League

Party: Partido Autonomista

"It is our promise to the Catalans, the Basques, the Galicians, the Balears, the Andalusians, and all other Peoples of Spain, that we will make strides to give greater representation to the regions after this election, including the movement for greater rights to be given to the people of the Canarias. In our proud and noble country, we will build both wealth and the regions, that power shall not solely lie in the elites of Madrid, but in those electors across this proud and noble country, that we may manage our communities under the just guidance of His Majesty, rather than under the bureaucrats of unnamed government secretariats."

Cesc Roma,
Deputy from Girona,
Secretary of State for Public Works and Industry

Party: Partido Autonomista

"It is our promise to the Catalans, the Basques, the Galicians, the Balears, the Andalusians, and all other Peoples of Spain, that we will make strides to give greater representation to the regions after this election, including the movement for greater rights to be given to the people of the Canarias. In our proud and noble country, we will build both wealth and the regions, that power shall not solely lie in the elites of Madrid, but in those electors across this proud and noble country, that we may manage our communities under the just guidance of His Majesty, rather than under the bureaucrats of unnamed government secretariats."

Cesc Roma,
Deputy from Girona,
Secretary of State for Public Works and Industry

Juan yawns

"Bor-ring! They're gonna have to do better than that."