• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As polling day draws closer, Pater De Valle begins a campaign of public speaking, starting in the Christian Democratic stronghold of Toledo.

People of Toledo,

I come here today not to express joy that under the guidance of the People's Party Spanish Society has reformed more in these five years than in sixty years under men like the Count, I came here to express my sadness, for even after we have done so much, the vile Count has already deployed his agents to divide this nation and to spread his lies. I say no more to his backwards stance, his ignoration of the needs of the Spanish People and Nation and his lack of respect for the Rule of Law. Return us to Parliament once more, proud people of Toledo, with the clear mandate to bring real reform to Spain.

And I promise you that we will bring reform to Spain. I promise you an independent Judiciary not in the pocket of a vile men like the Count, the end to harrasment of the political parties fighting for the common Spaniards and the protection of the laws passed by the Royal Assembly. And we shall deliver, for if Spain wishes to become a strong and modern nation once again, it needs to ride the waves of modernization and reform rather than resist it.

Vote People's Party for a Strong and Modern Spain!

640px-Antonio_Maria_Esquivel_portrait.jpg

Antonio Juan Alvarez del Toro y Suárez de Urbina
Born: 10th May 1839
Background: Born to Rafael Alvarez del Toro y Cevallos and Juan Suárez de Urbina y Velez, the granddaughter of the Viscount of El Bruch. His father was a plantation owner in the colonies but following several crop failures his family was forced to move back to the mainland. There he joined up, and served for several years. Following the death of Carlos VI and the liberal reforms he left the army in disgust, that any monarch would succumb to the demands of anybody horrified him. Now he has decided to fight for the restoration of the true monarchy in Spain, one where the King's God-given powers were respected.

Antonio Juan received his first government position when following the 1879 elections he was appointed President of the Indies and Africa Council. Later that same year he proposed The Motion to Ensure the Proper Execution of His Most Catholic Majesty's Will in Regards to Those Whom Would Seek to Betray Him.

Last edited:
That Sr de Valle has again chosen to slander me, and the People's Party has opted not to distance itself from him and his fellow criminals, is most worrisome; I would immediately suggest the party take an opposite course from its present actions immediately, or face the consequences of associating with known - and unrepentant - criminals.

~ Pontevedra

671px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Kingdom_of_France.svg.png

To Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Spain, the Count of Belmonte

Sir, we wish to thank you for your assistance in restoring the Bourbon line to the throne, and we hereby grant him, as well as First Minister D'Ambrosio and the Duke of Menocra the status of Knight in the Legion of Honour with the ability to advance in rank in the order over a number of years. We thank you for your service to France.

-King Henri V, King of France.

Cristóbal ascends the stage in the city of Seville, as he begins another campaign across Spain for the 1879 elections.

People of Seville!

I have come here to talk to you about...

Cristóbal is interrupted as two gun shots ring out and hit him square in the chest. He stumbles off the stage and onto the crowd as screams erupt and people begin wildly dispersing. By the time any help arrives he is already dead. With his death the Movimiento becomes increasingly disorganized and fragmented. Unless someone steps up soon to take over as its leader it will likely not survive past the coming elections to the Royal Assembly. Meanwhile, rumors begin circulating regarding his assassination. The most popular one is that he was killed by a radical liberal who was dissatisfied with his compromise with the government and the selling out of many rank and file members of the Movimiento during the "Revolution" of 1873 while its leaders walked away with pardons.

Alejandro had only just returned home from the delegation in front of his Majesty Henri V of the French nation when he heard the most dramatic news. It seemed that after a pause of half a decade, the counter-revolutionaries had finally finished their attacks, with the loss of Chistóbal, a crippling blow to many in the Movimiento. Alejandro braced himself for the expected onslaught of letters, to see if he could organise a degree of structure to the government before the election process was in session.

The sudden assassination of Sr Aldecanta is tragic and simply unacceptable; that such violence can be committed against members of the Audience, and indeed, any member of the government, cannot be tolerated. As such, the Interior Ministry shall immediately begin an investigation to find the person or persons responsible for this act.

As leader of the Royalist League, I would ask that the member of our party contesting Sr Aldecanta's seat cease active campaigning for the moment out of respect for the dead; similarly, I would recommend guards be sent to all Royalist league parliamentarians and candidates; I would suggest other parties do the same.

~ Pontevedra

The Duke of Seville, now in his 50s, addresses grief-stricken Movimento members in Seville.

"My friends, the death of Cristobal Aldecanta is tragic and unexpected. To fathom that there are those within our own party who would see the leader of our party dead is depressing. But we must not dwell on the past, and instead set our sights on the future. As such, I believe that I would be the best candidate to lead our party in the wake of this tragic incident. Throughout my whole life, I have been devoted to democratizing Spain and I have always been Cristobal Aldecanta's closest confidant. As Leader of the Movimento, I would work with the agreement that His Majesty and the Royalists agreed upon to work with the system, and democratize Spain from within, using peaceful and democratic means. As Leader, I would see kmore transparency within our government, build an even stronger economy than we have now, and pursue education as a major goal for His Majesty and His Government. Thank you, and I hope to see you all at the polls."

The Duke steps down, and leaves the podium to comfort Aldecanta's grief-stricken family. Notable are two burly men guarding the duke, both carrying pistols.

500px-coat_of_arms_of_spain-svg1.png

((Public))​

We are disgusted by the abhorrent murder of Senor Cristobal Aldecanta. An attack against a member of the Royal Audience is an attack against Our own authority and We order our Government to take energetic means to discover the culprit. One who has viciously deprived Senor Aldecanta of his life has not only raised his hand against Law and the Crown – but also against the idea of civil peace and cooperation. While Senor Aldecanta had his faults in the past, as we know, even Saul can become Paul – and during the latter year Senor Aldecanta, while one can have different thoughts about his ideas, was an example of a politician who acted in a lawful and civilized way. We send Our condolences to his family and announce that We would posthumously grant Cristobal Aldecanta the Knight's Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and that his family would receive an appropriate state pension.

To His Most Christian Majesty Henri V, the King of France and Navarre ((naxhi - Private))​

Your Most Christian Majesty,

I must congratulate you on your ascension to the Throne of your ancestors – and I must say that I was glad that I could contribute to the Restoration. It is my great hope that France and Spain would always, since this moment, work as allies and friends preserving the godly order in Europe.

However I must note that currently this order is threatened by a certain event – and needs a definitive response. As you know, the King of Sardinia-Piedmont has violated the principles of the Congress of Vienna and is attempting, by force of arms, to do what usurper Napoleon tried to – unlawfully subject other Italian states, Ignoring the sovereignity of their Monarchs. He has raised the sword even against the Papacy, Gods institution on earth, undermining the faith that has for many centuries been the guiding principle of the European realms. Knowing that Your Christian Majesty is a true son of the Roman Catholic Church, I believe that you would not leave such injustices without reaction. However there is also another aspect – by committing such acts, the King of Sardinia-Piedmont has also spit into the face of the House of Bourbon itself, decreasing its influence, for, as you know, he has dethroned two monarchs of our blood, the King of Two Sicilies and the Duke of Parma (who is your own nephew and a son to your sister, Princess Louise Marie Thérèse).

Therefore it seems quite clear for me that for the sake of the European peace, the holy faith and our House some measures should be taken regarding the matter. For this reason I have decided to try to organize a European Conference on the Italian matter – and hope that Your Christian Majesty would participate and raise your voice in defense of the principles dear to all of us.

On another, less grim matter, since I want the two branches of our House to become even more closer, I would like us to be united through marriage. Since Your Christian Majesty is sadly lacking children, I intend to ask for the hand of the daughter of your relative and heir, Philippe, Count of Paris, Amelie. While I would write to her father separately, I ask you, as the head of the French Royal House, to kindly help me to solicitor this marriage.

God bless you and your country,

FELIPE

To His Royal Highness Philippe of Orleans, Count of Paris ((naxhi - Private))​

Your Royal Highness,

I want to congratulate you on the great event of the restoration of the French monarchy – to which I had the honor to contribute. I must note that this happening took place, among other things, because of your truly Christian humility – for, acknowledging the claim of the then Count of Chambord, you allowed the unification of the monarchists – and thus the Restoration. I can only applaud such noble attitude. I am also immensely pleased that this event has finally lead to a peace between two branches of the ancient House of Bourbon – your branch, the branch of Orleans, and the senior branch, as represented by His Christian Majesty, King Henri the Fifth. For are we not all descendants of the good King Henri the Fourth and of Hugo Capet?

One day Your Royal Highness would most probably become the King of France – and when this happens, I want France and Spain to remain good cooperative partners. For this reason I think it might be good idea to unite our family through holy matrimony – and ask that your daughter, Princess Amelie, when she reached adulthood, becomes my spouse. I promise that I would do my best to make her happy – and believe that this distinguished young lady would make an excellent Queen of Spain.

FELIPE

To His Imperial and Apostolic Majesty, Emperor Francis Joseph I of Austria ((naxhi - Private))​

Your Imperial and Apostolic Majesty,

I am writing to you to address a grave matter – a matter of Italian unification. For a very long time it has been an issue that has been considered as one of the most dangerous for the tranquility of peace in Europe and the principles of the Congress of Vienna. Now the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont has not only violated them, but attacked and subjugated the Papacy. I believe that the Austrian Empire sees that its interests are threatened by this to a greatest extent. The rights of your relatives in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany and the Duchy of Modena have already been usurped by the King of Sardinia-Piedmont – and it is inevitable that unless a stop is put to his ambitions (or they are at least limited), your own holdings in the Kingdom of Lombardia-Venetia would fall prey to them next. For this reason I believe that it would be most beneficial if Your Imperial and Apostolic Majesty participated in the European Conference on the Italian Problem.

FELIPE

To His Imperial Majesty, Emperor William I, the Emperor of Germany ((naxhi - Private))​

Dear Uncle Willy,

I do hope that you and your family are well. I must say that I am very pleased to see the successes of yourself and your realm. The princes of Germany have rightfully and willingly chosen yourself as their leader – and I am sure that the fate of the German people is now in the right hands.

However I do not possess such sureness about the fate of the Italian people. As you know, the King of Sardinia-Piedmont, without consultation with other European countries, has made a series of violent attacks upon the other states of Italy, overthrowing their legitimate rulers and leaving them landless and without compensation. Ignoring the demands of his own religion, he has even occupied Rome, virtually dispossessing the Pope. I must note that among the sovereigns who have been overthrown by the King of Sardinia-Piedmont, is Francis III, the King of Two Siciles, a member of the Holy Alliance defense pact. By attacking him the King of Sardinia-Piedmont demonstrated disrespect towards both myself and you, as if doubting our ability to stand by our longtime partner.

For this reason I believe that Europe cannot leave this events without any reaction and believe that it is necessary to organize a conference on the matter. I ask you participate in it – for all of us would benefit from your experience and wisdom.

To address another matter, in order to maintain our long-time ties and connect our Houses even further, I ask the hand of your granddaughter, Princess Charlotte of Prussia for my brother, Infante Pelayo. He is a young man of character and mind, at his young age already possessing qualities of a good military officer. I reassure you that upon his marriage I would grant Infante Pelayo a ducal title and an income appropriate of his station. Hopefully you would find this offer acceptable.

Yours sincerely,

FELIPE

To His Holiness Pius IX, Pope of Rome ((naxhi24 - Private))​

Your Holiness,

As a loyal son of the Roman Catholic Church, We send you our deepest condolences. The fact that the patrimony of St Peter and the dignity of the successor of this holy apostle has been threatened for the second time in our century – and this time not by the irreligious officer Bonaparte, but by a monarch of an ancient Catholic lineage – saddens Us greatly. You must be reassured that the Crown of Spain would always stand by the Papacy and defend its rights, spiritual and temporal – and yet it is clear that, sadly enough, a voice of one country cannot stop or limit the ambitions of King Vittorio Emanuele, reinforced by zeal of his troops and support of the Garibaldist fanatics. However a wide European congress on the matter could lead to a settlement – and We would do all we can to organize such a meeting. However, if it fails to address the problem, We would always be happy to host Your Holiness in our country, providing you with anything necessary to maintain the dignity of your holy office.

We ask for your prayers and blessing.

FELIPE

The King has written to all Catholic monarchs of Europe proposing them to participate in such a conference, including as the ones deposed by the Unification.

1879 Honors List

For his service of many years in the grand offices of state and dutiful work within Our delegation to France Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta, Principe de Belmonte, would be inducted into the highest order of Our realm - the Order of the Golden Fleece.

For his service of many years in the grand offices of state and dutiful work within Our delegation to France Francisco d'Ambrosio, Duke of Escalona would be created the Grandee of Spain, First Class and made Commander by Number (Encomienda de Número) within the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Charles III.

For his dutiful work within Our delegation to France Francesco Roma, Duke of Menorca, would receive the Knight's Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic.

For his service in multiple offices of state and measures taken towards the implementation of the military reforms Juan Maria de Correia y Medinacelo, Count of Pontevedra, would be created the Marquess of Pontevedra and Count of Campolongo and made Commander by Number (Encomienda de Número) within the Royal and Distinguished Spanish Order of Charles III.

Coronel Manuel Marino Sastre y Luna, Conde de Riner, would be promoted to the rank of Brigadier General.

Gat_Andres_Bonifacio.jpg

Name: Simon Mercando
Date of Birth: June 6, 1840

Simon was born in Intramuros, Manila in front of the local Cathedral. His father, from what he knows, was some poor peasant of Spanish and Native Flipino blood, and his mother was a nurse. He never knew his father as he left his mother only a few days after his birth. His mother raised him alone for two years, before she died when a drunk man killed her. Simon, now an orphan, lived in the streets, often cold at night and hungry. After a few years, Simon, at the tender age of ten, was visited by a merchant looking for a cabin boy. Coerced by the promise of food and water, he joined the merchant and he became the most trusted confident of the merchant after a few years.

When the merchant died in a pirate attack, it was revealed in his will that he made Simon his heir. With a ship, Simon began to work to improve his fortunes. With his hard work and diligence, he became very rich, with his investments in various industries. As he became richer, he tired of life on the sea and moved back to Manila, where he first got influences of the burgeoning nationalist movement in the colony.

As he began to look into the movement, he began identifying with it more and more, agreeing with its goals: autonomy, representation, secularization of the clergy among other things. He came to join the people in their support (although secretly) for the movement. He is currently saving up money to buy a cement factory, hoping to use the profits from said factory to bring the Revolution to his homeland, and by consequence improve the fortunes of his brethren. He is frustrated by the current state of the Phillipines and is hoping change can improve the fortunes of the colony, whether the change is with or without Spain

At the request of some people, here are some spheres of influence maps:

(Guide: Pink= UK, Dark Blue = France, Light Blue = USA, Green = Russia)

q9zNNQs.png

6tVCPFo.png

PhQBeYL.png

Zvj6MYd.png

Etxeto-arms.gif

Coat of Arms of the Etxeto

Royal Report on the Future of Spanish Colonialism as presented by the President of the Indies & Africa Council
Whereas the need of additional, monetarily rich areas are found wanting for the coffers of the State;
Whereas the State concurrently is in need of a demonstration of power for individuals both foreign and domestic;
We do hereby recommend the following:

That a colonial venture into the barbaric Sultanate of Gabu be considered by the Crown.

An excellent basing location for our fleet, it as well presents an opportunity in which to bring shame to the British by seizing their uncontrolled border in this part of Africa.
That a colonial venture in the barbaric Sultanate of Aro be considered by the Crown.

A natural extension of our already established colonies in Spanish Sokoto, it would provide rich and fertile land in which to fill our coffers.
That a colonial venture into the Sultanates of Bahrain and Qatar be considered by the Crown.

A perfect basing location in Arabia, it would be a perfect location to rest and refuel on our way to and from the Philippines.

Reactions:
ac9fc6742ee3a9e7ee3ef259f92d0962.jpg

Name:Salbatore Verdejo
Date of Birth: February 25, 1842
Bio: The son of an industrial worker, Salbatore knew hardship at a young age. Working at a sweatshop in Madrid until 18, Salbatore was brought under the wing of a gang of liberals in the workshop, and there he was exposed to the works of Marx and Engels (brought in illegally from England). By his 20s he was a die hard socialist, but still believes monarchy and socialism can co-exist. He is begun to spread his message in his home in Seville, and the beginning of elections gives him a great chance.

logo.png

El Movimiento socialista- The Socialist Movement
Free Trade - Planned Economy - Moralism - Pro Military - Full Citizenship
Chairman: Salbatore Verdejo
Ideology: Right-Wing Socialism, Monarchism
Political Position: Left
Headquarters: Casa Passao, Madrid
Founded: August 15, 1878
Colour: Red, White

The Movimiento Socialista, or the socialist movement, begun as a coalition of socialist groups across Spain's cities, and has come out in force for the 1879 elections. It is primarily focused in the middle class, with few nobles supporting its unorthodox platform. It has gotten a headquarters in Madrid, and with its Chairman, Salbatore Verdejo, it has begun to challenge the established parties. It has absorbed as much as the collapsed liberals as possible, and will bring the idea of Marx and Engel to Spain, Under a more moderate and monarchist platform, of course.

The Socialist Movement is unlike any socialist party in the world, promoting a form of state socialism led by an enlightened monarchy supporting state regulation of the economy. It doesn't support an abrupt overthrow of the Social order, instead working within the bounds of a monarchy to further the interests of the worker.
Election Results:
1879 Election: TBD

Last edited:
logo.png

El Movimiento socialista- The Socialist Movement
Free Trade - Planned Economy - Secularism - Pro Military - Full Citizenship
Chairman: Salbatore Verdejo
Ideology: Socialism
Political Position: Left to far left
Headquarters: Casa Passao, Madrid
Newspaper: El trabajador- The Worker
National Union:el movimiento de los trabajadores -The Workers Movement
Founded: August 15, 1878
Colour: Red, White

The Movimiento Socialista, or the socialist movement, begun as a coalition of socialist groups across Spain's cities, and has come out in force for the 1879 elections. It is primarily focused in the middle class, with few nobles supporting its unorthodox platform. It has gotten a headquarters in Madrid, and with its Chairman, Salbatore Verdejo, it has begun to challenge the established parties. It has founded a newspaper, known as the worker, which extolls the virtue of the worker and tries to keep all references of Republicanism locked away (in order to keep its license). It's national union is gaining traction as well among the poor industrialists, though they can't vote.

The Socialist Movement supports the monarchy, and believes the Carlist Kingdom and Socialism can coexist peacefully. It favors free trade, a planned economy to better make use of the worker, and secularism (while remaining predominantly Catholic). It will work to bring greater voting rights to the common person, and greater endowments to art and literature. It is nationalistic, very uncommon among socialist parties of the time, and will support the expansion of the Spanish Monarchy overseas and at home.

[Private: Alexius]

Senor,

First and foremost, there are no such things as "national unions," senor; only the State is permitted to form such organisations. This is a clear offence, and as such, this group shall be broken up with all deliberate haste.

The newspaper promotes goals, values, and at a grander level an agenda which is contrary to the Crown and to the Kingdom of Spain; as such, it too is banned.

Furthermore, the notion of "secularism" is utterly odious and wholly unpermissable, as is, in my estimation, the values of "socialism," which is itself contrary to the monarchy; this party shall be banned should it not immediately moderate its positions along those lines. Should they be taken, the ban shall merely be considered.

Should these actions not be taken to the letter, further legal action shall be taken.

~ Pontevedra

[Private: Alexius]

Senor,

First and foremost, there are no such things as "national unions," senor; only the State is permitted to form such organisations. This is a clear offence, and as such, this group shall be broken up with all deliberate haste.

The newspaper promotes goals, values, and at a grander level an agenda which is contrary to the Crown and to the Kingdom of Spain; as such, it too is banned.

Furthermore, the notion of "secularism" is utterly odious and wholly unpermissable, as is, in my estimation, the values of "socialism," which is itself contrary to the monarchy; this party shall be banned should it not immediately moderate its positions along those lines. Should they be taken, the ban shall merely be considered.

Should these actions not be taken to the letter, further legal action shall be taken.

~ Pontevedra
Señor,

Your grievances are wholly understandable, and as to show my loyalty to the crown, I will fix the issues you have brought to my attention. The Union and Newspaper will be disbanded, and we will begin to moderate the stances of the movement.

I wish you to know, though a socialist, I am still a monarchist and wholly loyal to the crown God granted to our king.

Forever loyal,
Salbatore Verdejo

Assessment from the Interior Secretariat regarding the Socialist Party to His Majesty ((Private: Mars))

Due to the receptiveness of the party to reform its platform, etc., along the lines specified, it has been cleared by the committee and accepted by the Interior Secretary for final review, should it be deemed necessary, by His Catholic Majesty. Though the Secretariat cannot in any way endorse the policies of said party, it has already proven itself amenable to discourse and its leadership moderate. Whilst there are lingering concerns, mainly economic in nature, though certainly in regards to its stance pertaining to the divine right, it is otherwise acceptable. Indeed, it could prove to further weaken the leading opposition of the Royalists, which has already found itself highly divided in the wake of its leader's murder.