• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have neither the authority nor the desire to grant that ability to this august body, Your Excellency; to review a portion of His Majesty's government is neither within the purview of the Audience, nor can it be assumed without Royal Consent; in short, to allow such a cession of Royal Power would be tantamount to treason, and furthermore would constitute a vast overreach of this body's scope and authority - after all, the Audience is, at its core, an advisory institution.

Whatever the case, the attacks against my person, and indeed my secretariat, are wholly baseless - I have repeatedly questioned the veracity of the so-called confessed sorcelled up by the leaders of the People's Party, whom I believe are attempting not only to defraud me, but to lie to this body, the people of Spain, and the Crown itself. That the good revolutionary member has opted to, yet again, attempt to overreach his station and bounds, is unsurprising and indeed hints of broader anti-royalist collusion amongst the more radical parties within this chamber. I would rather the courts attend to the lies and deceits of Senor de Valle, and perhaps too the good Aldecanta.

~ Pontevedra

I would like to remind the Honorable Count that, given the un-codified nature of this body, a similar argument could just as easily be made about our authority to pass legislation without a signature of approval of the respective agency of His Majesty's government. Certainly, the only necessary check on the authority of this chamber is the authority of His Majesty himself - an authority which you have made clear you do not question, nor believe is incapable of making appropriate judgments.

With those factors in mind, surely there should be some level of mutual understanding between the Interior Secretariat and this Audience. We are just as much an arm of His Majesty's government as the Secretariat is, so I must question the intent to interfere in the accord between two bodies, both of which require an understanding and knowledge of the mechanics of the other in order to contribute to the governing of this nation's people.

Cesc Roma,
Duc de Menorca
Deputy for Girona

Alejandro was surprised when his illness temporarily abated. It seemed he could finally get a breath out without his vision turning to fog. No matter, he lent heavily upon his cane, his sole method of support now, with his legs being on the verge of collapsing beneath him. Though his illness had made him blind to court matters, he knew of some things he had to organise.

The matter of France was dealt with strongly, where he stipulated that it was the intent of the Spanish government to See a Bourbon sit upon the French Throne. He of course nominated himself for sending forward support of this matter, he also felt it would be appropriate to send letters to both the First minister and to the Duc of Menorca, both men who wielded significance in terms of political or territorial power, to see if they would accompany him to assure and instate stability in the French nation.

On the Matter of the Italian request, he needed to seek assurance from his king, but he was strongly considering the option, it would be good to align with a fellow Mediterranean nation, even if this land was new, it would do Spain good to see its former lands tied together by blood once more

((OK there is my wonderful posty updatey thingy, sorry i not been active as much as usual, just a little thing called exams- otherwise known as Alejandro's Illness XD- got in my way. They are all over now, so i am back in business, even if Alejandro will soon be popping his clogs))

The Assembly has put the bills to vote, and the following results have been obtained:

The Act of Establishment of the Royal Peasant Land Bank passes with 155 yes votes, 0 no votes, and 245 abstentions
The Act of Establishment of the Royal Noble Land Bank passes with 140 yes votes, 0 no votes, and 260 abstentions
Protection of Public Movements Bill passes with 157 yes votes, 149 no votes, and 97 abstentions
Trade Union Reform Bill passes with 157 yes votes, 149 no votes, and 97 abstentions
Workers' Safety Bill passes with 105 yes votes, 90 no votes, and 205 abstentions
Guarentee for Widows, Veterans and Former Servents of the Crown passes with 145 yes votes, 87 no votes, and 168 abstentions

The political reforms saw the full Royalist faction vote against them, but the combined votes of the Moviemento, People's Party, and Red Movement saw them passed. Most party members though chose to abstain on the social reforms and the bank bills, but the plurality vote had those four bills passed. Many Los Amarilos members were not in session during the vote. All bills debated in this session of the Assembly shall be sent to the King for his final judgement ((Which he shall have 24 hours till tomorrow at 9:00 PM EST or Friday at 1:00 AM GMT to make)).

"I don't get this voting this, how do you do it?"

"You mark what you want to happen and give it to the man at the top of the hall."

"Lord, he knows my vote?"

"Yes."

"Jesus, the last thing I want is for the government to know what I want."

"But our leader is in government."

"Being in government and being in government are two different things. I heard he spends most of his time writing pithy economics tomes for his intellectual friends."

"Yeah, mostly on Basque fishing and the industrialisation of the cannery process."

"Strange man."

"Could be worse, he could be in charge of this nation's colonial dreams! .... Wait."

Reactions:
Esteemed Members of the Royal Audience,

As this August Body moves to review the position of the Crown of Spain on the International Stage, I wish to move that this August Body does support the resolutions put forward from both sides of the Royal Assembly and the State Council denouncing the invasion of Italian rebels and nationalists of the territories of the Holy See as the criminal offences they are to both His Holiness as the Temporal Peace in Europe. I wish to reitterate my party's, and, indeed, the majority of this August Body's, position on the matter, we are convinced that relief should be provided for His Holiness, who has become Prisoner on the Vatican Hill, be it by direct diplomatic means or through conclave with other European Powers that be, who are too concerned with the peaceful resolution of this most horrid affair.

Furthermore, I wish to move that this August Body does consider the implications of the recent events in France. It is clear that it is in the interest of the French People and peace in Europe, that it is not violent radicalism that will rule the day. It is the opinion of my party that a Unity Alliance between Reformers and Monarchists shall form the fundaments of a French Kingdom not only maintaining its strong and prestigious roots in the past but with a clear and united vision of the future, capable of withstanding the threat of violent radicalism, that has become ever present in this age of progress. I yield the floor, Mr. President.

Don Francisco Pater de Valle,
Chairman of the Partido Popular de España

Last edited:
Etxeto-arms.gif

Coat of Arms of the Etxeto
A short address made by the Marquis d'Etxeto in parliament.

"Thy Majesty, I, 'long many of mine own peers wilt issue a formal complaint against the bill on the unions of trade being considered by His Majesty. Many of our members, landowners in the far north, art unable to arriveth for every vote. Thus, at which hour important legislation cometh forth, we art unable to vote nay is our right.

Therefore, begging thy forgiveness, we begeth yond thee veto this disruptive bill to our and thy joint wealth. Allow us all moveth on from this tush tush. "

500px-coat_of_arms_of_spain-svg1.png

((TJDS + Revan - Private))

Sirs,

It saddens Us to hear such accusations from both sides. The thought that a minister who has many times proved loyalty to Our Throne and diligently worked within the cabinet for years could solicitor some kind of thugs to threaten his opponent is abhorrent - and yet it is abhorrent to think that a priest and a member of State Council could produce vile slander against Our minister in order to remove him from this position. Therefore We believe that, if the parties are not ready to make peace and retract their offensive statements, an official investigation should take place and courts of justice see to the matter.

However, We must also state that We find it sad that two members of the Gran Audiencia and Our State Council have clashed at each other - after We have specially, in Our speech from the throne, asked them to respect each other, asked for unity and cooperation.

FELIPE

((Audience - Private))​

Gentlemen.

We have decided to let all the proposed bills but the Trade Union Reform Bill pass. While it is Our belief that guilds and associations of laborers should function, their activities and creation should be regulated by Our government. to prevent possible abuses. Without control and regulation otherwise worthy organizations could become a nest of intentions that do not correspond with the principles of rule of law and class cohesion. It is Our intention to prevent conflicts between different groups of populace, between the industry and the labor, the rich and the poor - and therefore the bodies that potentially can lead to such conflict should be under the watch of the state, so that it does not get out of hand. It is easier to sometimes take small measures and keep the organization healthy than ignore it until the corruption can be dealt with only by radical measures. Therefore We would not sign the Trade Union Reform Bill into force, believing it contains flaws dangerous for the security of the Spanish state and Spanish people. At the same time, We must note that the statement of the Yellows makes the small majority with which the bill passed in the Assembly very doubtful.

At the same time, while We share the sorrow of Pater de Valle regarding the fate of the Holy Father and the Throne of St Peter, as well and have deep concerns regarding the disrespect the King of Sardinia-Piedmont demonstrated towards the sovereignty of other princes of Italy, We believe that all organs of Our government should currently refrain from any public demonstrations regarding the issue. We have to remind that the Foreign Office bears the responsibility of the day-to-day implementation of Our orders regarding the foreign policies - and We would not want that its efforts could be hindered and the international standing of Spain damaged by the rash actions and words of other statesmen. We concur with the idea that is a European affair and should be resolved as one - and that measures should be taken in that direction.

FELIPE

((Private))

In meanwhile. the Crown used its influence and means to assist the mission of the of the enthronement of the Count of Chamborde in France.

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Sorry for the delay in update, I got sucked into the Steam Summer Sale have been busy. I will get it out ASAP))

The First Minister sends a delegation from La Sociedad del Gentilhombres to Paris offering support to the Bourbons.

Etxeto-arms.gif

The Etxeto Clan supports none of the French pretenders. The French are beneath contempt and the entire state is damned by God for their pride.

Reactions:
((Private))
Somewhere in Africa
"So, the French are killing each other again."

"Seems about right."

"Meanwhile we're stuck here doing nothing."

"Maybe you shouldn't have been a coward then."

"Yeah, how I would have loved to punch old Napoleon in the face..."

Wolves of Conservatism: 1876-1879

Henri of Artois, the Count of Chambord, grandson of the last French Bourbon king Charles X, had a lot going for him. Following the collapse of the French Empire, and the creation of a Third Republic, two monarchist factions began to take power in France, Legitimists and Orleanists. The Legitimists backed the "legitimate ruler" of France, who was Henri, while the Orleanists backed the Count of Paris, grandson of Louis-Philippe, the last Orleanist king of France. Both sides though wished for the restoration of the French monarchy, but the ideological differences between Henri and the Count of Paris were known. Henri was more akin to the Carlist Kings of Spain, believing that his rule should be at least semi-absolutists, while the Count of Paris was the more liberal candidate to the throne, believing in a constitutional monarchy like the one his grandfather ruled over. Both sides would have to agree on which one of the two pretenders they would have to support if they wanted to get a monarch in France again.

4Ji315j.jpg
xIz8Iw9.jpg

(The Count of Chambord (left), and the Count of Paris (right))

A compromise would be reached prior to the French National Assembly elections. You see, Henri was old, and many predicted he would be without child. As the last French Bourbon, there would be no one left in France to succeed him should he pass on. Because of this, the Orleanists decided to take advantage. Orleanists proposed a compromise to the Legitimists. They would back Henri as King of France, and in return the Legitimists would back the Count of Paris as Henri's heir. With that deal, the National Assembly elections would take place, and result in a monarchist majority in the Assembly. With an Orleanist and Legitmist majority in the Assembly backing him, and with support from the countryside, all Henri had to do was accept the crown when it was proposed to him. This was the scene when Minister of Foreign Affairs Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta arrived in Paris with a Spanish delegation that had one objective, restore the French monarchy. Alejandro would also back Henri in his quest to claim the throne, and make sure France would become a staunch ally of Spain when Henri did get his throne. Spain would use France as a repatriation country to make sure enemies of the state that fled to France could easily be returned to face trial.

France_Chambre_des_deputes_1871.png

(National Assembly Elections, 1876)

With Henri in the perfect position to become King of France, everything seemed to be going well for supporters of monarchies across France. However, Henri wanted one thing done before he became King, one tiny thing that many felt was a bit petty, but spurned a huge debate among many members of the National Assembly. This one request was to abandon the tricolor, and replace it with the white fleur de lis of Henri's ancestors. To many outsiders, it was a request that sounded like it should have been easily accomplished, but to the French population, this request was extremely absurd. The French people adored the Tricolor. To them, it was a flag of revolutionary zeal, liberty, and equality. To monarchists, it was a flag adopted by Louis XVI as a symbol of change and adoption of constitutional limitations. To Henri though, it was the flag that removed his family twice from power, once in 1789, and again in 1830. Henri believed that this would be the final test to determine if France was ready to move on from the revolution and return to the Catholic monarchy it had known. If they accepted his demand, he would know that France wished to abandon the revolution, and he would rule over this new France. If they denied his demand, he would know that France did not wish to abandon the revolution. To him, it was a reasonable request, but to the Monarchists, it would be a bit tricky to enact. Napoleon III was just overthrown by the people, and the monarchists did not wish to have Henri anger the people right as his reign begins.

fleur-de-lis-flag.png

(The Fleur de Lies flag)

Monarchists begged Henri to keep the tricolor, even going to suggest the fleur de lies be his personal flag, and the tricolor remain the national flag. Henri refused both of these requests. Fed up with this, the monarchists decided that a better move would be to wait for Henri to pass due to his age, and offer the throne to the Count of Paris. However, many monarchists feared that waiting would lead to the possibility of the monarchist majority ending in a future election. Minister Belmonte watched the proceedings, and offered a suggestion. He suggested that perhaps have the fleur de lies be the flag of Henri, and the tricolor being the flag of the Count of Paris when he became king. Henri refused this as well. That was when Patrice de MacMahon, the leader of the Legitimists in the Assembly, offered a solution similiar to that. He suggested that the monarchists agree to Henri's request and replace the tricolor with the fleur de lies. Since Henri was old, Henri would not last long, and as soon as Henri died and the Count of Paris was crowned King, he would reinstate the tricolor as a flag and gain the popularity of the people. Orleanists loved this idea, and it was passed as a resolution in the Assembly. Henri, unknown that he would be the last king to use the fleur de lies, accepted the decision and the crown on these terms. On Christmas Day, 1876, Henri of Artois, the Count of Chambord, was crowned Henri V of France. The people though were not thrilled to see the tricolor disappear. The tricolor during this time became a flag of defiance, as riots and protests broke out against Henri across France. Henri instated harsh laws and dissolved the national assembly in response to these acts.

barricade18march18711.jpg

(Scenes like this were common across France)

As the delegation in France returned home to a job well done, Spain was experiencing a scandal. Don Francesco del Valle, the leader of the People's Party of Spain, was found guilty of libel and slander by two judges and fined for them. The People's Party of Spain and many opposition members were livid about this. Francesco's prosecutor was the Count of Pontevarda, the Minister of Justice, who happened to appoint all the judges in Spain, with approval of the King. With both verdicts coming down as guilty, the opposition cried foul, and protested these verdicts as another method for "The Royalist Snake" to silence the opposition by abusing the justice system. In response to this, the Moviemento proposed a bill that would force the Ministry of Justice and the Interior to be more transparent to the people. Royalists claimed that the opposition was simply angry that justice disfavored them and were just rabble rousing. Regardless, new laws passed in Spain aimed to stop harassment would be greeted with applause by the masses, but for the opposition it was not enough. The opposition, especially the People's Party of Spain, would begin a ruthless election campaign to spur more supporters and to beat the Royalists in the election to make sure Pontevarda would never see the Ministry of Interior ever again. Already the effects of the PP's campaign have been felt as many reactionary political strongholds would fall to the campaigns of the Christian Democrats. It would be a hell of an election, as the Priest and the Wolf would fight it out, and only one could see power in the future.

henriette-caillaux-4.jpg

(Large scale rallies like these were common in PP strongholds)

While politically, the situation in Spain was getting rough, economically, the situation was much better. Two banks were established by the King, the Peasants Bank and the Nobles Bank. The former would be used by Peasants to secure loans to build up businesses, while the later would be used by impoverished nobles to build up businesses to gain wealth. Indeed, these two banks would rapidly expand industry across Spain. Nobles would use the banks to build factories and railroads, while small businesses would be founded by peasants who used their bank to secure loans. The number of capitalists in Spain would rise. However, some rich individuals did not wish to see the flow of capital controlled simply by the state. The Duc de Menorca, Cesc Roma, nephew to the Regionalist advocate, would establish a bank in Catalonia. The Mutual Bank of Girona, as it was called, was a mutual savings bank with free credit in the vicinity of Cesc Roma's Girona constituency. Members could take out extremely-low-interest long-term loans up to a set amount, with membership in the Mutual Bank requiring no more than agreeing to the bank's founding compact. Banks like these encouraged business on a more local level. The Mutual Bank of Girona would help farmers in Girona and Catalonia expand their farms without fear of paying back too much due to interest rates. Indeed, farmers in Catalonia would grow to respect the Duc de Menorca.

These banks would lead to Spain developing a bull-market, and create a boom in industry. Factories would begin to expand across Spain. Capitalists would create businesses on an unprecedented level. Workers would also begin to experience new levels of respect from the state as bills that regulated lethal jobs in the factory would help keep the death rate of workers low. Retired men could receive small pensions, as well as veterans and former government employees. New technology in steam turbines, factory organization, and business banks allowed the industrial sector to expand. However, compared to the mighty economy of the new German Nation, Spain's economy was still small. Literacy was still at around 27%, hampering the creation of skilled workers. Spain would need a lot more than just commercial enterprises and factory expansion to match the industrial might of Germany, now hailed as the "workshop of the world". Regardless of that, Felipe V would earn the name "Felipe the Industrialist" for his work in improving the industrial sector of Spain. Now the 27 year old monarch could be hailed as a innovator in the industrial sector of Spain.

Citizens-Savings-Bank-846-Westminster-Street.jpg

(The inside of the Mutual Bank)

As the election of 1879 drew closer, Spain had achieved prosperity and peace. Now that a Bourbon was seated on the throne of France, Spain had allies all around it. Its economy was doing well, and the people were content. Reforms passed were met with applause. While the King's popularity rose, the popularity of his government did not. The opposition wished to beat the Count of Pontevarda to make sure their existence was not called into question, and to prevent them from being threatened. Prosperous Spain was headed for a brutal election season...

----------------------------
Player Actions Needed: We have entered the pre-election cycle for the 1879 election. Select your leaders, build your platform, and begin your campaigns. You have four days till July 6th at 9:00 PM EST or July 7th at 1:00 AM GMT to get me your platforms and tell me who your leader is.

With Henri V crowned, Pontevedra turned the presses once devoted to the French cause to another, more domestic issue; newspapers, lambasting de Valle and the People's Party for corruption, lying, and a litany of other offences began in full force, whilst following their ban, more extreme efforts - both legally in the form the police and extralegally in the form the secret police and the militant arm of the Society of St James the Greater - were made to combat riots, and find "evidence" of crimes committed by the People's Party leadership.

-

((Private: Primate of Spain))

To His Eminence, the Primate,

It seems that a member of the flock has proven himself to be a liar and charlatan, a black preacher who has sullied the name of the Mother Church; whilst I am certain you at this very moment are taking steps to remove him from any position of power, I merely wish to write to Your Eminence and state my full support for any such measures.

~ Pontevedra

-

With the recent successes within the industrial sector, one would find it only reasonable to continue all such efforts to industrialise the economy more fully and effectively. However, we must not forget the needs of the farmer, and I would recommend setting aside Interior funds to procure more modern equipment to assist in developing our agricultural economy alongside our burgeoning industry.

-

((Private))

Pontevedra begins taking the necessary steps to ensure the Royalists win the upcoming election comfortably, through any and all means available. Much of this will be done through a swiftly formed department titled the "Committee for the Observation of Elections and their Free and Fair Maintenance," or more simply, the Electoral Committee, staffed largely by various reactionaries and conservatives affiliated with the Count. The Count cared little of the Audience passed proposals calling for an end of harassment.

Opinion of His Excellency, the Count of Pontevedra, Second Secretary, etc., ex officio Member of the Council of State, Member of the Royal Audience, on the matters of the recent legislation from that lower house recently proposed and enacted, for the perusal and review of the Council, amongst other matters.

Over the previous two years, the Royal Audience has, through gross usurpation of power and a lackadaisical attitude from this body, passed through such proposals of vulgarity that this present silence can no longer be tolerated.

Of principle concern would the various proposals from the criminal head of the People’s Party, known now for its radicalism and continual rioting – need I say more in the moral deficiencies of such men – are, almost to a whole, contemptible and in dire need of repeal. Thus, I lodge a motion that the Protection of Public Movements Bill be repealed at once (more specifically, I motion for this body to recommend its repeal before the Crown which should, naturally, have final say). Furthermore, I must present a motion recognising that, due to the recent litigation and punishment for a litany of crimes, the leaders of the People’s Party must be censured and disallowed from holding seats within the Royal Audience – they simply are men unfit for such an office. Lastly, I would ask of the King to review the membership of this body, which has of late become so moribund and unkempt that all records of membership are likely wholly antiquated and thoroughly in need in revision.

Opinion of His Excellency, the Count of Pontevedra, Second Secretary, etc., ex officio Member of the Council of State, Member of the Royal Audience, on the matters of the recent legislation from that lower house recently proposed and enacted, for the perusal and review of the Council, amongst other matters.

Over the previous two years, the Royal Audience has, through gross usurpation of power and a lackadaisical attitude from this body, passed through such proposals of vulgarity that this present silence can no longer be tolerated.

Of principle concern would the various proposals from the criminal head of the People’s Party, known now for its radicalism and continual rioting – need I say more in the moral deficiencies of such men – are, almost to a whole, contemptible and in dire need of repeal. Thus, I lodge a motion that the Protection of Public Movements Bill be repealed at once (more specifically, I motion for this body to recommend its repeal before the Crown which should, naturally, have final say). Furthermore, I must present a motion recognising that, due to the recent litigation and punishment for a litany of crimes, the leaders of the People’s Party must be censured and disallowed from holding seats within the Royal Audience – they simply are men unfit for such an office. Lastly, I would ask of the King to review the membership of this body, which has of late become so moribund and unkempt that all records of membership are likely wholly antiquated and thoroughly in need in revision.

*The Duc de Menorca politely reminds the Count of Pontevedra that censuring members of this body goes against the act which he is trying to repeal, and that the proper course of action would involve first the repeal of the act, then an effort to violate the electoral integrity of this body*

Your Excellency, however could a statement of disapproval for spreading lies and untruths about a member of His Majesty's Government, for which those men have been tried and found guilty of, at all related to act presently up for discussion; save, perhaps, for the author of both those lies and this act are one and the same, I suppose. Are we to allow such men continue the ability to serve within government without reprisal or even the slightest condemnation? I would certainly hope not.

~ Pontevedra

Coronel Manuel Marino Sastre y Luna, Conde de Riner, negligent member of his majesty's council of war, devious reprobate, and criminally inclined state councillor, pushed back the sheets and swung his legs out of bed, not especially caring if he disturbed it's other occupant. Idly, he tried to recall if this particular bed warmer required financial reimbursement. Sadly his memories of the previous night were too hazy to say. Oh well, no doubt it would be made known to him in due course.

'Sanchez, you turd-sucker, where's my breakfast?' Lolo demanded loudly from his absent servant.

Sanchez - former murderer, rapist, lowlife, insubordinate and fine soldier of his catholic majesty - swiftly appeared with the day's newspaper and promises of food.

'How the blazes did this drivel pass the state council?' Lolo remarked in disbelief at the headline of bills recently enacted.

'I am sure your presence was instrumental, sir.' Lolo ignored his servant and grabbed a piece of toast as he continued to read an article on some of the reprobates who had found their way into the assembly (the paper was royalist).

___​

Lolo turns up for a session of the State Council - the first occasion in some considerable time, and proposes that the travesty that is the workers safety bill be repealed.

He also takes the opportunity to make an appointment with the First Secretary to discuss a number of things.

The Treasury Secretary appoints people to the Board of Directors of the Royal Noble Land Bank, among them is Colonel Manuel Lolo.

Etxeto-arms.gif

The Etxeto and his people second Lolo's call to revoke the Worker Safety Act.