• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
jDo3Prm.jpg

Name: Joaquín António Bakar Vélaz Gorrimendi, Conde de Álava
Date of Birth: April 17, 1799

Bakar was not one for outsiders. Napoleon's armies had ruined the family estate some 20 years prior, and he had spent the whole time building everything back up. His father, Jose Luíz Vela Ibarroz Gorrimendi, was no help either. Despite being at one time a proud member of the Royal Philippine Company and a Knight of Calatrava (it was more of an honorary position), his father had taken to alcohol to console himself after he watched most of his fortune burn with Donostia in 1813. The family was in the business of getting rich off of the success of what was left of the colonial enterprise, owning quite a large number of tobacco plantations in Cuba. Bakar had managed to build a cigarette factory which he was told printed a fine line of "Montaña Roja" smokes. He had never smoked himself, Bakar thought it was for fools and sinners. He attributed most of his new good luck not to the slaves who toiled his fields but to his new-found piety. Bakar gave generously to the Jesuits and was a regular churchgoer. While he may be a man of faith, there is no denying the cruel calculating genius behind Bakar's austere finances. Bakar is a bachelor and has never really cared for the company of women, not that he cared for the company of anyone save perhaps Christ. Nevertheless, there is pressure on him to marry soon as he is approaching his middle-age.

Last edited:
Juan Colón de Toledo, Count of Toledo
280px-Dumont_d'Urville.jpg

Date of Birth: December 21st, 1800

Background:

Each man has two parts of a legacy. That which he leaves for his country, and that which he leaves for his posterity. By the first metric, Cristóbal Colón was a giant. His discoveries led to the creation of the great Spanish Empire, and to this day his name is spoken in reverent terms by schoolchildren and noblemen alike.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the other part of his legacy, his posterity. Colón's children fought bitterly to regain their father's titles, but it was all for naught. The Empire grew, but it forgot the descendants of the man who had discovered it. The Colón family seemed doomed to an eternity spent as minor nobility, using their famous name to scrounge off their betters.

That was so, until 1816. The previous Count and his family perished during the French occupation, and the King was looking for a suitable replacement. It is unknown why the Colóns were chosen, but it's quite possible in the turmoil after the war that the King simply saw a name he recognized and picked it.

Juan himself is a man his ancestor would be proud of. Growing up in the chaos of the Napoleonic Wars gave young Juan a martial streak, one he would pursue into a career with the Navy. A stauch irredentist and colonialist, Juan strongly pursues an aggressive foreign policy outside of Europe, which, frankly, is beyond his concerns. Juan, who always has one foot in the sea, did not take an active interest in his father's county, despite it containing a large and vibrant city. However, the death of his father two years ago has forced him to return to Toledo.

While you'd never mistake him for a liberal, Juan does possess a distaste for the dog-and-pony show of Spain's nobility. He especially dislikes those who presume to govern Spain without bothering to witness it themselves; it is these people Juan blames for Spain's predicament. However, Juan is extremely loyal to the monarchy that gave his family a chance at glory once again. This combination means that Juan will first support a strengthening of the King's powers, but if forced between increasing the power of the nobles or the commoners, he will choose the latter.

Juan's isolation in the center of Spain, far away from battlefields or salty shores has led him to create:

2000px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg.png

La Sociedad Militar Española

The Spanish Military Society connects current and former military and colonial men to promote discipline and military virtue in Spanish society.

Juan believes that Spain will only recover externally through expansion; he also believes that the only way for Spain to recover internally is to restructure Spanish society.... from the top down.

Personality/Military Traits:

Adventurer
Brash

{{Notes:

Yes, I am playing the same dynasty in two different AARs. If that's a problem, fite me irl.

No, these (Colombuses... Columbi????) will not be cannibals. (probably)

Or heretics. (probably)

Very much looking forward to a dynamic and fast-paced IAAR. I do hope it won't get bogged down in technicalities and annoying buggery which has happened to a few Vic 2 IARRs.

I'll take down the society if you all insist on being aristocratic wussies, btw. I just want to measure interest in a military society. PM me if you want to be the head of a local chapter; say which locale you'd prefer within.}}

{{I'll post some additional IC either tonight or tomorrow}}

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Private Qwerty))

Dear La Sociedad del Gentilhombres,

I, Don Rodrigo Fajardo de Mendoza, Baron of Polop and Benidorm, Grandee of Spain, would like to apply to the Society. I find the social circles of the officer corps to be just a bit lacking, a club for nobility and gentlemen-ship will definitely cure me of that malady.

From

Don Rodrigo Fajardo de Mendoza, Baron of Polop and Benidorm, Grandee of Spain.
((Private-mrlifeless))

Dear Don Rodrigo Fajardo de Mendoza, Baron of Polop and Benidorm, Grandee of Spain,

Your application was reviewed rigorously by our committees. We our pleased to inform you that the application was accepted and you are now officially a member of our Society.

Much Cheer,
La Sociedad del Gentilhombre

((Private- of course addressed to @Qwerty7 ))

To the newly founded and elated La Sociedad del Gentilhombres,

Myself, Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte, humbly requests that I may join your esteemed ranks. I hope that by allowing a diverse selection of individuals, we can truly become a great force in the Spanish Kingdom. May God bless you gentleman, and I hope that you may consider this application,

Yours truly
His Serene Highness Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta di Belmonte, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire and of Belmonte, Duke of Acerenza, Marquis of Galontone and Castellabate, Count of Copertino, Grandee First Class.
((Private-ML8991))

Dear His Serene Highness Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta di Belmonte, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire and of Belmonte, Duke of Acerenza, Marquis of Galontone and Castellabate, Count of Copertino, Grandee First Class,

Your application was reviewed rigorously by our committees, and we must comment that you have flattered us greatly. We our pleased to inform you that the application was accepted and you are now officially a member of our Society.

Much Cheer,

((Private-luciusmalfoy012))
Dear Juan Colón de Toledo, Count of Toledo,

We, La Sociedad del Gentilhombre, have noticed the establishment of a club by yourself. It would be a pleasure if our two societies could work in harmony with each other. We would like to know whether or not a partnership would be of interest to you and your organization.

Much Cheer,

spring2012auctions15-theodoreberthon.jpg

Name: Fulgencio Marino de Soria
Date of Birth: 21 November 1789
Religion: Roman Catholic
Political Ideology: Conservative
Personality: Diligent, Persistant

Background: Fulgencio Marino de Soria y Domínguez was born in 1789 in an well-to-do upper class family in Valladolid. His father, Amadeo de Soria (1755–1811), was a prominent lawyer and nobleman in the city who briefly served in the Cortes Generales while his mother, Aurelia Domínguez (1757–1820), was the daughter of a prominent doctor in Madrid. Soria briefly attended the University of Salamanca to study law, but quickly abandoned his dreams of continuing his father's law practice in favor of joining the Spanish Army during the Peninsular War, where he primarily served as an aide-de-camp to general Gregorio García de la Cuesta and served in the prominent Battles of Somosierra and Medellín. The Peninsular War was also where he found his love of war and leadership; he was briefly appointed as a regiment captain during the last few years of the war.

After the war ended in 1812, Soria continued to pursue his newly-founded interests in war by continuing to serve as an aide-de-camp to various Spanish generals. In 1817, Soria was appointed as a regiment captain and was renowned for his diligence in battle and his unwilling persistence in training his soldiers for battle. He was able to quickly rise up in the ranks by this point and currently, he serves as an army lieutenant for Spain. He also has a wife and four children, and is a devout loyalist to the Spanish monarchy and a moral conservative in terms of political beliefs.

((Private addressed to Qwerty))

To the La Sociedad del Gentilhombre,
It brings much pleasure to me to say that I, Lieutenant Fulgencio Marino de Soria, would like to join your most honourable society. It is about time that we honest and pure gentlemen, who are truly the sons of God Himself, should form together to preserve Spain's moral and social integrity from any disheartening sins.

From yours truly,
Fulgencio Marino de Soria

320px-Blason_Fitz-James,_Ducs_d'Albe_de_Tormes.svg.png
To FERDINAND VII, by the Grace of God, King of Castile, Leon, Aragon, of the Two Sicilies, of Jerusalem, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia, of Córdoba, of Corsica, of Murcia, of Menorca, of Jaén, the Algarves, Algeciras, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, of the East and West Indies, Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Milan and Aspurg; Count of Flanders, Tirol and Barcelona; Lord of Biscay and Molina ((naxhi24 - Private))

Your Catholic Majesty,

As a Subject whose loyalty to Your August self are based not only on the Natural Duty of Obedience, as set by the will of the Almighty, but also on deep feelings of gratitude and devotion for all kindness that both Yourself and Your noble ancestors have demonstrated towards our House, I send You my greeting. The news of Your Catholic Majesty being unwell have caused immense grief to me and I sincerely pray to Virgin Mary and all saints to heal the Father of this Nation of all maladies and illnesses.

I, however, do not write to you, Sire, to preoccupy you with empty words, but to sincerely inform my Sovereign on what I have seen during my journey to the provinces and express the doubts that more and more occupy the souls of all devoted subjects of the Spanish King.

While I journeyed to Seville to attend to my manors, I have found all classes of society preoccupied with worries over the great changes in the succession laws and the consequences that a conflict between the blood of Phillip V could cause to the House of Bourbon and the Throne. Magistrates at courts, officers in the regiments, common folk in taverns and shops - all of them exchange wildest rumors. Some claim that Your Catholic Majesty has not installed the reform of 1830 in accordance with Your will, but it was a work of Your advisors - for it is known to the Spanish subjects that You have already once chosen to revoke the new succession law in 1832. Others are afraid that Her Royal Highness the Princess of Asturias is but an infant that would end in the hands of canny ministers and generals who would tear the banner of the Bourbons and Spain into pieces while fighting for power. It is said that Prince Carlos, Your brother, could be waiting for the moment when he is freed from the obligations of duty towards Your Catholic Majesty to leave Portugal and cross the Spanish borders with the army of supporters, starting a civil war which could be an end to the Monarchy itself.

I believe that it is at Your Catholic Majesties best interest to prevent a possible insurrection and disorders within the Spanish realm, especially since many of the people that could join the opponents of the inheritance of Princess Isabel belong to the classes and groups from whose support the Monarchy greatly benefits. Your firm authority and decisiveness held Spain together for many years and they yet may guarantee its unity and peace.

For this reason I take upon the audacity to humbly suggest certain possible decisions to Your Majesty. In order to guarantee a harmonious transfer of royal authority and cohesion of all stratas of the Spanish folk, it may be useful to:

I. Summon a representative Cortes Generales that could give its final opinion of the succession laws of the Kingdom and acquire its approval for any new succession law that may be set. While it is painful for me to suggest taking the matter of the royal succession to assemblies, I must say that, for the peace inside the realm, such measure may be neccessary, for the last session of this body on the matter has taken place secretly and forty years ago and therefore many express doubts about its validity. A current vote of the Cortes Generales on the new law now could lead to pacification and сonsensus.

II. It could be also useful if Your Majesty immediately summoned Don Carlos of Molina to Madrid to participate in a such Cortes Generales or to discuss possible reconcilliation. As this Prince has ever expressed his respect towards Your authority, I believe he would follow Your order to arrive - and therefore would be under Your eye and would not be able to raise arms.

III. It could be also of worth if Your Majesty invited a representative of the Holy See to participate in the deliberation of the royal succession law. The blessing of the Pope could solve the problem of a potential conflict within the religious parts of society, provide sanctity to any transfer of power that may happen.

IV. It could also be of use if Your Majesty set certain bylaws and conditions of any Regency that may happen in the future, so that the rights of the Church, the governing bodies and classes of the Spanish society are not infringed and there is a reasonable system of counters and balances that would prevent an usurpation of power during any possible interregnum.

I hope that my sincere wish to serve my King not only by the sword, but by word, would not be insulting to Your Majesty. I would always be at Your disposal and, until my heart beats, be ready to render any service to my Sovereign

Your obedient servant,
Miguel Garcia Fitz-James Stuart y Sylva,
Duke of Alba

To the Most Honorable Duke of Alba:

His majesty currently is unable to write this letter, so he has decided to dictate to me his response. Upon reading your letter, his majesty has decided to deny your request. He states that his blood must succeed the throne, and that HIS descendants, not that of his brother's, is the one to rule Spain. He states that his brother's reactionary tendencies would lead to another liberal uprising like what happened under his regime. He fears that his brother inheriting would lead to further liberal and conservative divide. He has pleaded with his brother to prevent this by accepting his daughter as heir, but his brother has denied this. If you wish to see peace in this nation, have Carlos renounce his claim to the throne, for only then can Spain experience a lasting peace.

-Repressentative of his Majesty Ferdinand VII, King of Spain, etc.

Reactions:
THE ALBA CHRONICLES (II) - ((Private))

- Seven hells, I start to think I am in f….ing London! – Miguel Garcia Fitz – James Stuart wiped the specks of waters from his long dark cloak and looked disapprovingly at the rain raging around him. The ancient city of Cordoba was not the best of shapes today. The Roman walls and the majestic fortresses and gates of the Old Town were covered by multiple layers of dirt, the greasy clouds were vomiting with streams of murky water and thunder and lighting were misbehaving as if it was their last day on earth. As the cold drops of liquid were flowing down his neck, Don Miguel for a moment started to have doubts – maybe he should have used more comfortable and less swift methods of travel than on horseback? However the noble grandee brushed them away - he should get to Madrid as quickly as he can. Only God knows in whose hands is the King now and what these unknown persons are having him sign. – We had enough problems with this rascal Calomarde and his intrigues… - the Duke of Alba murmured and frowned with disgust, as he thought about his former superior in the Ministry of Grace and Justice. Then he promtply rode into a courtyard of what looked like a large tavern or a hotel.

A youthful groom immediately took the reins of the imposing black steed Don Miguel rode. – Welcome to the Los Batistos, the best inn in… The nobleman waved the boy away dismissively, as he unsaddled. – Yeah, yeah… In a moment he walked into a large rotund room, the warmness of which immediately made him feel better. He grinned, as he looked at the tables covered by dishes with various food, laughing people who were drinking all sorts of beverages and bawdy barmaids in seductive clothes. – Can I help you, sir? – the owner of the place, a beefy man with clipped moustache, looked at the Duke of Alba in a polite, but rather disinterested way. Under the cloak Don Miguel wore not court dress or flashy uniform of a Guards officer, but a simple suit – he did not want undue attention. – Yes, bring me some mulled wine with honey and roasted lamb. – Alba ordered, taking a place in the corner. For a few minutes the aristocrat just relaxed, his eyes half-closed – it was a long way. Then he pulled out several letters he did not have time to read in Seville and removed the first envelope. Sipping the hot drink, Miguel lowered his eyes, studying the message. It was clearlyy from some club. – Hm, there are various types of these so-called honorable societies. There are gambling clubs, drinking clubs, whoring clubs and talking clubs. Guess I would need to find what this one is about by personal experience…

The next letter came not from anonymous La Sociedad del Gentilhombres, but from none other than Prince Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta di Belmonte, one of the top nobles of the Realm. He wanted the Duke of Alba to take his sister as wife. – This family is rich and powerful – and I do need a heir. But I should see the girl first, marrying an ape would certainly not be my first preference… Don Miguel put the letters aside and began to eat the chop with tomato sauce that was brought to him – but shrieks and curses coming from the bordering table distracted him. When the nobleman looked in that direction, he noticed that two men sittingt here were arguing quite animatedly, shaking their fists and swearing at each other quite heatedly. And they were not ordinary commoners fighting over a glass of port.

- Don Carlos would soon be there, you hear me? He would have million soldiers on his side, the Pope has blessed him with a part of the True Cross! – the man who was shouting these words looked like a former priest. His head was still decorated by the remains of tonsure and was wearing a robe similar to a cassock. But he did not seem very ascetic – it was a muscled thug with powerful fists and an angry ruddy face. – The King of Two Sicilies, unhappy with the succession changes, has given him troops and would assist the righteous cause…

His interlocutor laughed in a sardonic way, his glasses glistening. He had an appearance of a lawyer, in his neat frock and with a snide smile on pale lips. – Ha! The nation would never accept another bigot, a puppet whose strings are pulled by the priests and landowners! And no great realm would accept a usurper taking the Throne without any legitimate claim… The ex-cleric roared, nearly shaking from fury. He leaned forwards and hissed, glaring at his opponent. – Do you care about legitimacy now? You ilk only wants to put the guillotines all over the country and create some madness similar to French one… The lawyer smiled in a derogatory manner. He was clearly amused by his adversaries anger. - It is a first step, my boy, a first step. We want a weak Queen whose strings we can pull in order to sweep the despotic monarchy away. Just similar how you want a stupid King whom you would manipulate into revoking the changes already existing… And yeah, guillotines are quite appropriate for your kind…

At this moment the former man of God leaped at the barrister, trying to hit him with his fists, but the canny lawyer grabbed his hands. – You are similar to this idiotic buffoon, Ferdinand the Felon, who thought that he can rule by brute force and now would lead his dynasty to doom… - the lawyer said in a sing-song voice, while trying to push the cleric aside. The disbarred priest was breathing heavily – but continued to reply. – How you dare to compare me to this tyrant, because of whom I was defrocked and who killed my brothers, traditionalist militiamen in Catalonia and Valencia! May he rot forever, as well his bitch Isabel and all his….

But the ex-cleric could not finish the phrase - for the Duke of Alba swiftly stood up, throwing a lamb bone aside. He grabbed the reactionary by the scruff of his neck and kicked him into testicles. As the man scowled from pain, he knocked him down with one short brutal punch – and turned to his liberal opponent. The lawyer with a shaking hand tried to get a pistol out – but in the next moment Miguel broke his glasses into a hundred pieces, many of which slashed the face of the hapless radical. Still screaming with pain, the lawyer tried to escape – but Alba punched him again, knocking half of the teeth out. Then he took his sword out. – If I hear you, scum, talking about legitimate authorities and the royal dynasty in that way again, I would kill you both. Now get out, I don’t enjoy your company. The both great politicians did not need to be asked twice – they escaped into the rain, leaving Don Miguel with his wine and the shocked silence of the audience. Of the latter he took no notice, but poured himself another cup and sighed. Now it was only two ambitious fools – but soon it would be all Spaniards, lead by the princes of blood, tearing each other like wild animals. And nothing, it seems, could be done about that.

From the DUKE of ALBA to the PRINCE of BELMONTE (((Private-ML8991))

Your Serene Highness,

A suggestion expressed by the most excellent Prince is a honor for me, for a lady of such ancient and esteemed blood would make a worthy spouse to the most ranking peers of the our Realm. A union between our houses would have been most joyous to me, especially as we, the representatives of the nobility, should at such worrisome times stand together to guard the Crown, peace and order, as our duties demand from us.

However, I do believe that it is important to know the opinion of the honorable Donna Helen and that a personal acquaintance would have been most beneficial in that regard. While a few years beforewe could meet at one of the royal balls, I do suspect that due to the turmolous state of the Court and the Government, illustrious celebrations of that sort may be postponed until later times. Perhaps we could find another variant, which would be no less agreeable? If it is currently impossible, I would have liked to see the portrait of the fair Donna, for it would make a nice prelude to future personal meetings.

I also would be very pleased if I would be able to dine with Your Serene Highness. In a few days I expect to be in Madrid, perhaps you could then instruct me on the most convenient time and place?

I remain, sir, yours faithfully,
Miguel Garcia Fitz-James Stuart y Silva,
Duke of Alba

From the DUKE of ALBA to La Sociedad del Gentilhombres
((Private - Qwerty7)

I would be honored to join the society.

ALBA

Last edited:
A Su Alteza Carlos, Infante de España, Conde de Molina:

Only until I had received word of la Pragmática Sanción did I fervently support His Majesty the King and all of the traditional absolute powers ascribed to him. Being as I am a veteran of la Guerra Independencia Española, I fought for much of my early adult life for the continuance of a Bourbon on the absolutist throne of the nation.

That royal decree, however, decisively altered my position. Good, honorable, and brave Spanish men fought and died alongside me not to pass the powers of the King to the liberals -- they fought for the unity of España and her King, not its division. I served in the field for six years and not at any moment did I doubt the righteous and just cause for which I fought and bled.

Tu Alteza is, in my most humble opinion as a soldier and man of Christ and of España, the last hope for a re-adoption and continuance of a traditional nation. Therefore upon this day do I pledge, upon my word, my fortune, my honor, and my very life to ensure that the traditional law of the nation, ordained by Dios and so sullied by the liberals that intend on the utter ruination of this nation, is upheld; I put myself at your service, so that our España, and your reign, might yet live.

Most humbly and respectfully, and full of love:

Emilio Agustín Huerta, el Segundo Conde de León

DXHUMtu.jpg
Name: Miguel Francisco de Costa Álvarez
Date of Birth: March 19th, 1799
Background:

Miguel Francisco de Costa Álvarez is one of the most irrelevant and unimportant politicians in Spain. He is the son of an irrelevant noble and a former seamstress, giving him a spectacularly low social standing in the Spain. As he was growing up, the young Spaniard was imbued with a deep sense of neutrality and liberalism, an idea that his stuck with him throughout his short life. However, despite the odds, Miguel has taken up the prestigious occupation of parliamentary representative of Astorga, an up and coming town in León. Only time will tell whether the 34 year old politician can rise out of irrelevancy and unimportance, to become a guiding force for Spain. Or he'll wallow in irrelevancy, who knows. As of now, de Costa is swaying towards Isabella II, although if Carlos makes a good enough case, than odds are, he would abandon his young queen.

((Private addressed to Qwerty))

To the La Sociedad del Gentilhombre,
It brings much pleasure to me to say that I, Lieutenant Fulgencio Marino de Soria, would like to join your most honourable society. It is about time that we honest and pure gentlemen, who are truly the sons of God Himself, should form together to preserve Spain's moral and social integrity from any disheartening sins.

From yours truly,
Fulgencio Marino de Soria
((Private-Stingrex))
To Fulgencio Marino de Soria,

Your application was reviewed rigorously by our committees, and we must comment that you have flattered us greatly. We our pleased to inform you that the application was accepted and you are now officially a member of our Society.

Much Cheer,

Alejandro was quietly musing in his study, a fine cigar between his lips and a good book in his hand, as his footman rapped on the door. Immediately straightening out his clothes, and resuming to his desk, he called the gentleman in. He presented on a fine silver platter a most crisp letter, from the seal in the wax, Alejandro knew it was the long anticipated reply from the Duke of Alba, he immediately opened the letter, read it over, and set to work in replying to the good Duke.

To his excellency Duke Miguel Garcia Fitz – James Stuart of Alba,

I am most delighted that you agree to my aims of this most worthy of matches. I of course agree that you and the Donna Helené should meet, but I do agree that a chance of a ball, or other such social calls will be most unlikely in this current climate. But I do recall that we have been summoned to Madrid, to affirm the laws of our great Land, perhaps then we could arrange a meeting between yourself and my sister, perhaps at your estate there, the Liria Palace I seem to recall it is called.

My sister doesn't reside with me, if she were I would of course invite you to one of my own estates, but no matter, you must find time to come join us in Italia, where you can sample some of my estates wine, many say it is most delectable. I am sure we can both discuss a time when we both can meet, to both our advantage, when I present my sister to you. I wish you good wishes, and may the Lord bless you,

Prince Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte, Prince of Belmonte, Grandee First Class etc.

Coat_of_Arms_of_High_Authorities_of_Andorra.svg
Tom%C3%A1s%2BJenaro%2Bde%2BC%C3%A1mara%2By%2BCastro.%2B(Padre%2BC%C3%A1mara)%2Bfotografiado%2Ben%2Bjulio%2Bde%2B1903.jpg
Name: Simó de Guardiola y Hortoneda, Bishop of Urgell
Date of Birth: April 26, 1775 (Current age 58)
Background: Son of Francisco and Magdalena Hortoneda Guardiola, a fairly marginal gentry family, Simó studied and taught at the Abbey of Montserrat. On December 27, 1797 he was ordained a priest of the Order of Saint Benedict and was chaplain of the convent of San Placido in Madrid from 1806 to 1814. Elected abbot of Montserrat from 1814 until 1818, Simó began the reconstruction of the monastery, which had suffered the consequences of the War of Spanish Independence on the occasion of the war between Spain and the First French Empire (1808-1814). He was appointed to his present position as the Bishop of Urgell in 1827 by Ferdinand VII. He is thus also the Co-prince of Andorra with Louis Phillipe I.

An ambitious man, though not exceptionally clever in his ambition, Simó supports the claim of Carlos (when behind closed doors). His support is not so much a staunch position as a confluence of lesser beliefs. Namely, his opinion of women (in the modern day he would likely be gay, but in this time Simó is devoutly celibate), his suspicions about the base motives of Ferdinand VII's court, his general distaste for liberalism, and his opinion about the generally superior piety of the Spanish Empire and her people. That said, Simó would sooner support the conquest of still heathen lands than the reconquest of Spain's possessions in the New World, the expansion of ecclesiastic influence in the realm over the rollback of liberal progress, and the (not yet articulated) infallibility of the Holy Father.

((First time in an IAAR, please advise me in any and all areas you feel need improvement.))

((Private-Dadarian))

zUpwhYx.png
Dear Lord Barros T. X. H. y L. Etxeto, 15th Conte de Vizcaya,

La Sociedad del Gentilhombre admire your honor and virtue. It is our pleasure to formally invite you to join La Sociedad del Gentilhombres. We are an apolitical social club dedicated to preserving rectitude and dignity, and you would only further our cause.

From,

portrait.jpg

Name: Carlos Martinez de Isabela
Date of Birth: January 24, 1812
Background: Alejandro Martinez de Isabela was born in the Philippines to two Spanish parents, Fernando and Alba Isabela. They were unimportant in the empire, and were a relatively unknown family throughout the Philippines and Spain. Though having little income, Carlos eventually saved enough money to buy a trip to Spain when he was 17. From there he decided to make a name for himself in the army. He never actually witnessed war in his life before, however. He was far from the Basi revolt in the Philippines when it happened, and joined the army after the Peninsular Wars happened in Spain.

However he was an ambitious man and determined to create a legacy. Due to his lack of experience and wars, he received little in the way of promotions, however. He also views himself as a conservative, and a keen supporter of the king. He has a wife, but does not have any children.

((I too am a new player to an interactive AAR and will be happily receiving all advice.))

Name: Francisco Enrique Martinez Garcia de Santiago Fabinho
Date of Birth: March 23, 1787
Backround: Francisco is the son of a Portuguese merchant. He grew up in Porto, where his father taught him the way of the deal. His father became rich off of trans-continental trade between the New World and Portugal. He was sent to Seville to order manage trading ties with the trade with Spain and its colonies. He fit well with the Spainsh and decided the swear fealtyy to his Catholic Majesty. He views himself as a liberal and a staunch supporter of the crown.

The Liberal Wars, Portugal's Present, Spain's Possible Future

Portugal has been Spain's neighbor on the Iberian peninsular for centuries. Both nations share a common heritage and history. Both nations were colonial empires, bound for conquest in both the old world and the new one. Both nations also have a succession crisis on their hands. Spain's crisis though is only brewing, and may possibly be avoided, but Portugal's crisis has led to full blown civil war. Many see the war in Portugal as possibly Spain's future upon the death of Ferdinand VII. Two brothers, fighting it out over a throne, both claiming to have God's will to rule Portugal. Sound familiar does it not?

oZtimhX.jpg

(A scene from the Liberal Wars)

When Napoleon took Portugal during the Napoleonic Wars, Portugal's royal family, the House of Braganza, fled to their biggest colony, Brazil. Joao VI of Portugal established his court in Rio de Janiero. The House of Braganza took more comfort ruling from Rio than they did from Lisbon. When Napoleon was pushed back, Joao VI returned to Portugal. However, along with the rise of patriotism in Spanish America, Brazil experienced its own revolution in a way. Members of the Brazilian aristocracy invited Joao's son, Pedro, to come to Brazil and declare it an Empire. Pedro, now known as Emperor Pedro I of Brazil, became Emperor in 1822. This meant that the line of succession for the Kingdom of Portugal was scewered. When Joao VI died in 1826, many suspected that the line of succession would go to Pedro. However, Pedro's brother, Miguel, challenged this claimant, saying that Pedro gave up all rights to the throne of Portugal when he accepted the throne of Brazil. Pedro, wanting to assert his claim, even gave up his right to his daughter, Maria, in order to give Portugal a legitimate heir. However, Miguel objected this, and marched to war. Miguel would be crowned Miguel I of Portugal in 1828, but Pedro would have none of it. In 1831, Pedro gave up his crown to his son in Brazil, and sailed back to Europe. The Liberal Wars had begun.

BjLtQ1e.jpg

(Miguel I of Portugal)

Many people compare this power struggle as two opposing ideologies fighting for control. Miguel was an absolutist, while Pedro was more liberal and wanting of a constitution to govern Portugal. Regardless, the liberal countries of France, Great Britain, and Belgium backed Pedro's cause, and sent volunteers. Ferdinand VII, having many members of the Bourbon family marry into the Braganza family (his sister was married to Joao VI, making Miguel his nephew), backed Miguel I in his claim to the throne. However, with the rise of liberal support in the Cortes, many believe Spain will soon back Pedro in his fight for the crown. Outsides also compared the Liberal Wars to what could befall Spain upon Ferdinand's death. The two claimants, Isabel and Carlos, both had opposing viewpoints on issues (well, Isabel's mother had them, Isabel is only three years old), with Carlos being the absolutist, and Isabel's supporters being the more liberal. Many people in Spain fear that the death of Ferdinand VII will cause a civil war similar to what is happening in Portugal. Who knows though, perhaps this crisis could blow over?

((This is just an explanation of what is happening to Portugal at this time, not an official update for Spain))

Last edited:
04portadacatalunarv.jpg

Name: Manuel Gutiérrez de la Concha e Irigoyen [Historical]
Date of Birth: April 3, 1808
Background: Born in the Viceroyalty of Rio de la Plata, de la Concha and his family moved to Spain in 1814 in the aftermath of the 1810 May Revolution, in which de la Concha's father was killed, and de la Concha began his education soon thereafter. He entered the Royal Guard as a cadet in 1820, was promoted to second lieutenant in 1825, and to lieutenant 1832. He is a firm supporter of the Liberals, which has not won him many friends at the Royal Court.

Personality: Energetic
Background: Ambitious Careerist

Last edited:
- THE HUNTER -
(El Cazadore)
. . .
Alejandro de la Casa smirked to himself. Just another day in the Army. He had planned an excursion to the Sierra Norte as a standard training exercise for his unit, with a planned itinerary including practicing cavalry maneuvers in a hilly and mountainous setting, camp efficiency, and ambush tactics, among other, more basic skills, often overlooked, but undeniably important in such a unit. Often near him flew the flag of the Cazadores de Sevilla, a regiment of chasseurs mustered out of Andalusia. The group was a good mix of individuals, and, although very few were his former comrades from the Napoleonic Wars, a few of his junior officers were his compatriots in the war. It was always his intention to avoid favoritism, even though their superior experience was a simple matter of fact.

Although he had started his career as a light cavalryman and served as such during the War of the Third Coalition, his rejection of the Bonapartists and decision to join the Voluntarios Realistas had placed him not as a cavalry commander, but as a leader of light infantry auxiliaries. His men were by no means a skilled or organized group, however he had, somehow, trained them to become effective enough to accomplish their basic missions. While he was very successful doing his, he knew there would be no room for promotion beyond this point, as his unit would be integrated or disbanded upon the victory of the Bourbons. In a stroke of luck, perhaps, he found himself placed as a junior officer to a regiment of light cavalry near the end of the war and during the Wars of the Fifth and Sixth Coalition. The need, it seemed, had refocused upon larger battles, and he soon found himself, after all of it, as a cazadore.

He had taken a great deal from his experiences of working with volunteers, however. That was why, contrary to the expectations of the military staff, he was not focusing on uniform inspections, marching, and basic tactics as much as he was instilling in his men the basic need of combat - to survive, and to survive by ensuring that the enemy fails, at all costs. That was why he was sitting in a bush with a carbine in his hand. He was waiting silently, a bead of sweat slowly crawling down his face in the warm Summer air. He heard the crunching of leaves to his left, seeing a young soldado walking along, his equipment clattering and clanking. He took his shot.

To say the soldado was terrified would be an understatement. All blood had drained from his face as he clutched his ears and slowly gazed to his right. There stood De la Casa, looking triumphant. The young soldier began to interject - "Coronel! Are you trying to kill me, señor?!" Alejandro shook his head. The Spanish Army really needs to choose men with better attitudes. He tapped the soldado on the shoulder and pointed down the trail. There lay a dead pheasant, presumably the Coronel's dinner. The young soldier was dumbstruck.
. . .