• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Guilty of Conspiracy
Miguel sat in a dark cell, his body curled up in a corner of the room. The arrest was quick, he didn't even know what was going on before he was dragged out of his townhouse in Madrid, and thrown into a police cart. He was quickly processed, and thrown into a cell in the nearest prison in Madrid. Miguel was angry. He thought more of Carlos, but this act revealed to Miguel that Carlos is truly oversensitive, and can't take any offense to his 'great' name. He knew that he was going to die, either in prison, or through execution. Miguel thought of his wife, Esme. He thought of his son, Ismael. Miguel knew that they would carry on his fight. He knew that they would fight for Spain. And when Miguel was dragged into the courtroom, and asked to present his plea, he knew what he was going to say.

"Señors, Lords, ladies, fellow Spaniards. I stand here with a fact. This is a fact I hold dear to my heart, for it keeps me going. This fact keeps me alive. This fact is what inspires me to fight for Spain. I am guilty. Yes, I am. I am guilty of conspiracy to incite rebellion. But I am not only guilty of that. I plea guilty of fighting for Spain. I plea guilty of equality and liberty. I plea guilty of fighting for democracy. You may kill me, you may hang me, but my ideas shall never die. I shall fight for Spain, even in death. I stand here today a bastion of hope and equality, and I shall stand throughout history. My name shall ring through the annals of history, and it will leave a lasting mark upon Spain. Carlos shall die an absolutist tyrant, and fade into obscurity. Vive Liberalismo! Vive Isabel!"

(Note: This IC takes place before Korona's confession as it was meant to, so ICly it has happened before, just that here on the forum it happened after in posting)

ptkJEYQ.png

To his Majesty, King Carlos V of Spain etc..

Your Majesty, a person of importance has recently been imprisoned by your agents, a person who by accusation has encouraged others to incite rebellion and conspiracy, a truly heinous crime against nature and your majesty, government, crown and country. However as I am sure that your Majesty is surrounded by men of fanaticism, either in faith of god, or loyalty to your Majesty, not that there is an issue in that, then perhaps you will allow a more moderate voice to be heard.

The recent years have in no doubt proven problematic for internal stability within your Majesty’s realm. As such I ask that this case is handled with the utmost care, the leader of the liberal faction, a known man with friends and support is no man who should just be overrun without care. I am sure that you have many men in your council, old and wise, but those with wisdom of old often lack the clarity of youth and a clear sighted vision. As such I ask that you not only look to the men of age, vast experience and wisdom, but instead at young men of promise, truth and heart both for your Majesty and Spain.

As such if I may be so bold as to advise your Majesty, I ask that persons such as myself is given a position of judge, that Infante Juan and : Barros T. X. Hortun y Llorente Etxeto, Conde de Vizcaya shall join me in this honourable position. The nation is on edge and it is important to show that this is not the government judging a subject, but instead his peers, members of Spain, of all political walks of life. The true conservative nature of the Conde de Vizcaya, the moderate viewpoints of myself and the liberal thoughts of your son, who will also represent yourself and the crown at this court.

Let us stand judge your Majesty, let the Conde lead the case and show the Spanish people that this is not a repressive regime, but the judgement be that of your subject, against another subject guilty of what crime he might commit. Let the jury be filled by his peers, let it be filled with the clergy, the clerks and other men of lesser character than the nobility, but more than the farmer, learned men with skills and ability. Show the Spanish nation that this is the nations will, not that of an absolute monarch. Furthermore I ask that the clergy chosen is outside the Andrés María Cardinal de Porcelli y Vallabriga domain, as you no doubt know he is a feared and hated person among the liberals and intellectuals of Spain.

Don Manuel de Alcántara Álvarez de Toledo, 14th Duque of the Infantado, 10th Duque of Pastrana, 10th Duque of Estremera, 11th Duque of Francavilla, 11th Duque of Peñaranda de Duero, 9th Marqués of Távara, Marqués de Santillana, Marqués del Cenete, Marqués de Almenara, Marqués de Cea, Marqués de Campoo, Marqués de Algecilla, Marqués de Argüeso, Marqués de Valderrábano, Marqués de Villanueva del Fresno y Barcarrota, Marqués de la Algaba, Marqués de la Bañeza, Marqués de Mirallo, Marqués de Valdunquillo, Conde de Saldaña, Conde de Villada, Conde del Real de Manzanares, Conde del Cid, Conde de Montijo, Conde de Miranda del Castañar, Conde de Fuentidueña, Conde de Casarrubios del Monte, Conde de San Esteban de Gormaz y Vizconde de Palacios de la Valduerna.

Carlos V would have perhaps been inclined to listen to the Duke of Infantado's suggestions; however, the declaration of de Costa that "Carlos shall die an absolutist tyrant, and fade into obscurity... Vive Isabel!" (which would be one of only two lines officially published by the government, the other being the formal admission of guilt: "I am guilty. Yes, I am. I am guilty of conspiracy to incite rebellion.") ended all chances of the King moderating his stance; he swiftly ordered the de Costa sentenced to death for treason. Should anyone oppose the execution of a man speaking such blatant treason, they too would surely be suspect.

Reactions:

THE ALBA CHRONICLES (XII)

Don Esteban Alonso Fitz-James Stuart y Silva has been travelling from one his manor to the other. He has been reviewing the work of his stewards, checking the financial records and issuing various orders. The wineries had to be cultivated, the contracts with the renters rechecked and prices for the crops and сattle set. The Duke of Alba hated this kind of work - he had enough responsibilities with being in charge of the foreign policies of Spain. However, he knew that unless your check everything, the clique of your lawyers, wardens, accountants and laborers would simply rob you dry. He also had another aim - one of propaganda. It was important for him to keep in touch with the rural peasants, one of the backbones of the Carlist regime. Even if the smell sometimes was killing him.

In the Buanavista Estate, near San Fernado in Cordoba, everything seemed to be fine. The former dependants were pleased with the King, who granted them lands and freed of former feudal duties. The olives and cereal grains sold well this season, the citrus fruits a little bit less so, but still tolerable. The small hospital Don Esteban has built for his tenants was very succesful, though, it turned out that due to its popularity the locals went there even with very insignificant complaints. Say, one woman accidently drank a glass of milk with a small frog that was swimming in it - and immediately ran to the doctor, afraid that the frog would now live inside her stomach.

Walking across the orchard and followed by his minion, Montcada, and the alcalde of the village, a leering balding man, Don Esteban entered a small cottage. The shepherd, Sancho, lived there - and when the group walked it, he was sitting near the fireplace and eating a porridge out of mashed pumpkin and grain. Seeing the lord of the manor himself, the man jumped up and started buttoning his shirt. - Your Excellency! - he exclaimed. Smiling, the Duke of Alba patted his back. Then de Montcada put a large basket full of snacks before the shepherd. - How are you, amigo? You know, I have heard your wife is ill, so brought something for you... Cheese and freshly baked bread would be good for her .. - Don Esteban said, as the peasant beamed and uttered his thanks. After a short chat (in which the Duke underlined that it is the King the laborer should be grateful to), the Duke left the house. As he walked back to the village, his gaze became emotionless again, as if the jovial sparkles did not shine there few minutes ago.

The Duke of Alba was a cold man. While very loyal to the ideals such as the Crown and Country, he did not hold an individual in much regard. Most people were selfish beasts that tried to get as much out of this life as they could. However, he understood that at this age absolutism needed benevolence as well as a sword - and this is why he, during this travel through Spain, did acts of charity, financed fairs and gave out food and cloth. All of it in the name of Carlos.

The MInister of Foreign Affairs entered the church, now filled with people. The vicar bishop was going to sermon - so believers from all nearby villages and towns came. After the solemn mass and everybody receiving Communion and being annointed with the holy oil, the bishop pointed at the Duke noting that he wishes to say a view words. The Duke of Alba looked at the parishers, kissed the ring of the bishop and then spoke up.

- My brothers in Christ, good Spaniards.. - as he said that, the crowd murmured in a content way. They clearly liked it that such a high and mighty peer of the realm called them brothers. And Don Esteban continued. - I very pleased to be here, among fresh air and good and pious people. And I believe His Catholic Majesty, if He was here, would say to as well. For Our Sovereign works days and nights for the good of the common men like yourself, giving away His health to act as your shepherd, set by God. He has many times asked me about the well-being of the people of this region, worried whether you have everything you want. He has given you lands, he has given your various new privileges - and all of it because He loves you as a father loves his children... For twenty minutes or so the Duke talked about the kindness and the benevolence of the King, that happiness and prosperity would come to his people through him and that without the King Spain would have perished. The peasants nodded in agreement, whispered and, from times to times, crossed themselves, clearly seeing it as an appropriate gesture when such high talks take place. Gradually the aristocrat moved to another topic - the enemies of Spain and the de Costa affair. He loved the fact that this fucker was caught so much that a smile again appeared on his lips. - But there are people that wish to see the destruction of both Faith and Throne. They are not men of the people. They do not know how you live, they dont care about you. Remember the French revolution - it was done by rebellious lawyers, merchants, all kinds of half-educated renegades, not the common worker. They want to remove your traditional defender, the King, and put you under authority of a dictatorial assembly where the voices would be bought and sold by the lords of the purse. They want to destroy the Holy Church and put it under the thumb of Jews and masons, the servants of Devil. The freedom they profess is the freedom of daughters of Spain to become prostitutes, of the authority of family being torn into pieces, of morality being replaced by whims and vice... For a few minutes the Duke of Alba emphasized on that, with small addendums from the Bishop who reminded the people about the Divine Right of the Kings, the sacred nature of His authority and justice and about the latest message of the Pope regarding republicans and the neccessity to reject these that wish to corrupt them with false ideas. Then Don Esteban made the next point. - Remember the age of French oppression, when you, the common people fought for your King, against the invaders in guerillas - and what did the liberals do then? They put on the round hats, selling you out to the invaders and licking the arse of Joseph Bonaparte, The blood of their compatriots tasted like wine to them then! The people were already pretty riled up, they were shaking their fists. Many of them have lost fathers, uncles, brothers during the years of the occupation - and the idea that somebody was profiteering during the time was very disgusting to them. Catching this mood, the Duke of Alba continued. - The liberals have always valued foreign nonsense such as "constitutions" above the real interests of the country. It was because of that that we have lost our overseas possessions. Remember the Riego rebellion? It was because of it we could not return many of these lands! And imagine how better all of you would live, how lower would the taxes have been, if we still received vast shipments of gold, silver, cocoa from our colonies! But the liberals like Costa or Riego do not care about that - they have enough means. They want to sit high and mighty in the parliaments, this is all... Then he discussed the person of Miguel de Costa himself, with much snideness in his voice. - The man who has recently conspired to ovethrow His Majesty, has demonstrated to us how fickle and low the Jacobins are. He was a member of the "government" of the pretender, Isabella - which, dear compatriots, was in fact just a gang hired by the foreign forces. Then, after His Catholic Majesty returned His throne, he cowardly started cursing his former masters and declaring his eternal loyalty to the King. Then, mercifully pardoned by Our Sovereign, he posed as a law-abiding subject, in fact treacherously plotting with the rebels and conspiring against the Throne. Such crooks are the basis of the liberal movement - without them it would have simply ceased to exist, since it is fully based on deception and greed... The speech of the Duke of Alba was finished with some practical advise. - If you ever meet one of these enemies of God, Throne and people - inform on them and you would be rewarded greatly. Come to your police officer, to your alcalde, even to your priest. This a duty of any good subject...

When they left the Church, the Duke of Alba wiped sweat off his forehead. He was tired. He served as the Foreign Secretary for the last twelve years - a long period. And among all the intrigues and calamities of the diplomacy he still had to deal with internal issues as well - since, being one of the more active advisors within the cabinet, he could not shoulder the responsibility. This estate he visited was only one - but he (as well as his servants and agents) was going to visit many more, as well as the major towns of Spain. He certainly needed some relaxation.

320px-Blason_Fitz-James,_Ducs_d'Albe_de_Tormes.svg.png
From the DUKE of ALBA to CARLOS V, by the Grace of God, King of Castile, Leon, Aragon, of the Two Sicilies, of Jerusalem, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia, of Córdoba, of Corsica, of Murcia, of Menorca, of Jaén, the Algarves, Algeciras, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, of the East and West Indies, Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Milan and Aspurg; Count of Flanders, Tirol and Barcelona; Lord of Biscay and Molina ((Revan- Private)) ((Copy to Keinwyn))

Your Catholic Majesty,

As I am Your Foreign Secretary,, it is my solemn duty to inform You that very important choices should be made by the Crown regarding the path of foreign policies that would be walked by Spain in the decades to come.

The crumbling of the Holy Alliance is most worrisome. As You know, both United Kingdom and their former vassals, the United States of America, are not friends to us and unless we have strong and able partners among the European countries, they may cause much harm to our international objectives, such as gradually reassertaining our influence within Your rightful possesions in America. However, as I have written in my previous report to Your Catholic Majesty and the Cabinet, a potential union of the United Kingdom and France that would endanger our European interests, is even more worrisome. The French question cannot be ignored - it should be decided on, in way or another, not through issuance of notes and declarations, but through active actions in this and that regard. If my Sovereign would allow me, I would outline several approaches to the problem that the government could use.

I. First of all, the core problem within the current Holy Alliance is the conflict between Prussia and Austria, over the will of the first realm to unite all German states under its leadership. We are trusted allies of the government in Wienna - and enjoy good relationships with the House of Hohenzollern and Prussia. Therefore we may attempt to mend the Holy Alliance as it is, through mediation between the two counties. If we are to choose the approach, I would suggest calling a conference with the partiicipation of all interested parties, such as Prussia, Austria and the German princes, that would lead to a reformation of the German Confederation, as created by the Congress of Wienna in 1815. The reformation could lead to the division of powers over the confederation hat would suit both the Kaiser in Wienna and the King in Berlin better. Perhaps the restoration of certain institutions and practices of the Holy Roman Empire, a principle of the dual or successive leadership of Austria and Prussia could lead to the pacification. It may also be useful to invite Emperor Nicholas I of Russia as one of the mediators to this conference. As a neutral party and a Monarch hightly respected by both parties, his advise may be of use.

II. However, we should perfectly well understand that such attempts may be unsuccesful. Prussia may prove to be too ambitious, Austria too stubborn and the conference may be either unsuccesful or not take place at all. If another conflict happens, we would have to stay neutral or support our ally, Austria - but a conflict within the Holy Alliance would damage it even more. Therefore, it is my firm belief that, unless the ties between Austria and Prussia are mended, it may be neccessary that a new member is brought into the Holy Alliance - a member that would be able to act together with Russia, Austria and Spain. This member could be only France, Your Catholic Majesty. I do not love the Bonaparte family any much more than Your Catholic Majesty and I was never a Francophile, but I am a pragmatist. The so-called Prince President turned out to be a much more conservative leader than the Citizen King, everybody knows he covets the imperial crown - and, unless we can prevent the alliance between UK and France by war against the latter (and the European situation is not suitable for that), other methods, as listed by me in my previous report, may be used.

III. The third approach may be to continue maintaining our alliance with Austria and nurturing our relationships with Russia again, concentrating on the part of the Holy Alliance that would remain after the unification question would destroy the cooperation of two German empires, while leaving France and the German problem alone. However, it could leave us in a weakened alliance and a far more volatile situation.

I ask Your Catholic Majesty to consider these suggestions and give me the neccessary directives.

I also would like to ponder upon the Portuguese situation. The spread of constitutionalism within this country may prove counterproductive to us, since it is a bordering Realm, the ruler of which shares the ideology that is in many ways similar to ours and it is within our sphere of influence. Perhaps (unless we would plan some massive military expedition for the years to come) we could write to Him and ask whether He has granted the statute upon His free wil or whether it was forced upon Him by the radicals? In the latter situation, we could assist King MIguel with military might to restore His absolute rule, as set by the Creator himself. As Your Catholic Majesty knows, the radicals are much less disorderly and noisy, when they are hanging from the lampposts, not chattering in assemblies.

I also would like to congratulate Your Catholic Majesty on your victory over the the liberal plot of the vile Miguel de Costa. His fate should be example to all traitors who dare to rise against Your authority and Your justice. I must note that the conspiracy was discovered due to the continued efforts of His Eminence, the Archbishop of Toledo, who did not only, in most dire times, provided Your Catholic Majesty with the spiritual guidance and the support of the Holy Church, but for many years tirelessly fought againt the Jacobin threat. I believe that such a worthy man should be rewarded. I would humbly suggest that he is granted a noble title (as it happened to Cardinals Richelieu and Mazarine, who were similarly both men of cloth and loyal ministers to ther Kings), that would glorify his name and may be passed to one of his nephews or other relatives, upon his choice. It may be always of use to ask the Pontiff to grant this zealous prince of Church the hat of the cardinal.

Your obedient servant,
Esteban Alonso Fitz-James Stuart y Silva,
Duke of Alba

From the DUKE of ALBA to the ARCHBISHOP OF TOLEDO (Private - Luftwafer)

Your Eminence,

I express my congratulation upon your recent successes as the Undersecretary within the Ministry of Grace and Justice. Your loyal service to Our Catholic Majesty at on of the most difficult fronts, a front of the crusade against Jacobinism, is of great importance. Good advisors like yourself defend the Throne of our King - and this is why they are hated by various enemies of the Crown, either guised or open. However all men of order, faith and good intentions would stay by your side.

Thanks God that the dastardly plans of de Costa has been revealed. I hope that we would be able to prevent any other actions of his group by keeping his relatives and associates under strict surveillance.

However, I wanted to mention the following: it is important for us to demonstrate the people the benevolence of the government, the sins and malicious nature of the liberals, the errors of their ways. Perhaps certain charity events (interwoven with propaganda) sponsored by the Church would assist us in that? I also believe that matters of patriotic education of our youth should be considered - too often young and rash people are influenced by mentors of bad principles and low sensibility. If the righteous ways were taught to them from their childhood, many a radical would not have been created. I believe this matter is in many ways under the auspices of Your Eminence (for who can educated our chlldren better than the servants of God?), therefore, wonder if you be interested to meet and discuss the matter.

I ask for your blessings and that you would pray for my family,

Yours sincerely,
ALBA

From the DUKE of ALBA to the SLC members (Private - SLC)

Dear sirs,

Our way of thought is popular, we have the support of the much of the nobility, officers, of people of all ranks and titles. However recently we have only rarely met - and it is clear that without proper organization, it may be hard for us, as conscious and loyal subjects, to defend the Throne and the Imperial ideal, from radicalism, jacobinism, pacifism et cetera. We have already seen that much weaker malicious groups were able to cause much harm due to having clear leadership and organization - and we need to be similarly alert to oppose the threats coming from them.

Therefore wonder about the following.

Our country, thanks to God, does not have political parties or such nonsense, but we perfectly well now that it has clubs and gentlemen societies. Should we would ask our Sovereign to allow us to establish the Español Real Imperial Club (the Royal Spanish Imperial Club)? Its aim сould be to allow its members to meet privately and discreetely, without breaking the legislation regarding public meetings, and discuss matters of preservation of Spanish imperial and monarchical heritage, its legacy, its culture. Its objective would be one of research and exchange of opinions regarding issues dear to all of us among members. His Majesty could become the Honorary President, while the President and secretaries would be chosen from among the members.

I wonder what all of you think about this idea. Would it be of use or it is better to keep the grouping as it is?

Best regards,
ALBA

Last edited:
Miguel de Costa Executed!
Liberals Elevate him to Martyr!

The plea of guilt by Miguel de Costa was a shock to many. A man who was charged with conspiracy, de Costa was summarily hanged on orders of the King for treason. However, many, especially liberals and even some conservatives, felt that de Costa's execution was too harsh for his admitance of guilt. "He should live for admiting his crimes!" was a shout heard outside the palace of Madrid as many liberals and civilians rallied to protest the act of execution of de Costa, a man who admitted guilt. His final cries of "Long Live Isabella" were taken up by Cristino cells across Spain, bringing energy into the movement. Liberals rallied behind de Costa's death, and many believe they elevated him to the position of Martyr. During this time, many liberals and protesters were arrested for illegally assembling, and for having sympathies with de Costa. However, what has been done was done, and de Costa's death has become a rallying cry for liberals across Spain

((Korona, by orders of Riccardo, has been executed))

But there are people that wish to see the destruction of both Faith and Throne. They are not men of the people. They do not know how you live, they dont care about you. Remember the French revolution - it was done by rebellious lawyers, merchants, all kinds of half-educated renegades, not the common worker. They want to remove your traditional defender, the King, and put you under authority of a dictatorial assembly where the voices would be bought and sold by the lords of the purse. They want to destroy the Holy Church and put it under the thumb of Jews and masons, the servants of Devil. The freedom they profess is the freedom of daughters of Spain to become prostitutes, of the authority of family being torn into pieces, of morality being replaced by whims and vice...

((Private))

Esmeralda raised her head from the lap of her latest client, who she was servicing in an empty pew near the back of the church. She had been paying little attention to the duke's speech until the mention of prostitutes caught her ear. She glanced up at the man she was with, his expression going from ecstasy to disappointment as she stopped pleasuring him. She rose up so she was face to face with him and asked, "Don't you think it a good thing that a woman is free to choose a path that focuses on the pleasure of men?"

The man grinned at her and said, "Only if they are as skilled as you."

After a quick smirk directed at the oblivious duke giving a speech at the front of the church, Esmeralda knelt back down and continued to please her client who understood well how the world truly worked.

Tomas Martell leaned back in his char, folding the Palabra Publica pamphlet and stuffing it back in his pocket.

"How very sad," he said aloud, taking a sip from his drink. The whisky burned the inside of his throat in a sensation both painful and exhilarating.

"What is it, senor? Something in the paper?" The bartender asked, his tone one of mild curiosity. Making conversation, if nothing else.

"Yes." Though not the one you are familiar, I would wager. If I wanted fiction a simple book would suffice. "A good man is dead."

"Ah. How did it happen?"

Tomas emptied his glass and placed it on the bar, the dull glass clinking against polished oak. "Hanging."

The bartender started. Brow furrowing, he set his dishrag down and took a hard look at the stranger in front of him. "Hanging? For what?"

"Being a patriot," Tomas said, standing abruptly and laying down the appropriate sum of cash on the bar. "Thank you for the drink, friend, but I must be off. Farewell."

"Uh ... yeah, sure. Feel free to come back any time."

Tomas plastered on a smile. "I will. Take care."

Swinging the door open, he stepped out into the humid air and breathed in the smell of the city. He had no intention of ever returning to that bar; he had made a point to stay in every place only a handful of days, moving from location to location in order to avoid undue scrutiny.
It was a tedious and solitary lifestyle, but infinitely preferable, he thought, to spending the rest of his life in a cell. Or a quick walk to a shorter drop, as La Costa had discovered scant days ago. Such was the consequence of a mentality that was both progressive and complacent, the fate of a man determined to bring about change yet too invested in the current system that prevented it. Tomas was dismayed at the news, but could not muster an ounce of pity for the man. He chose his path, and he chose wrongly.

If anything had been made clear to him over the past few years, it was that little could be done to engender change in Spain as long as a king sat astride it. If illicit journalism could get you arrested, there was sure as hell nothing court politics could accomplish that wouldn't get you killed.

What Spain needed was revolution. A peaceful uprising, if it could be helped.

Blood and death, if it could not.

Last edited:
T0Q4mvG.jpg

Name: Ismael María Zapatero de Costa
Date of Birth: August 13th, 1829

Background: Ismael de Costa was born four years before the death of Ferdinand VII, before his family's life would be changed forever. Before the Carlist Wars, the de Costa family was nothing more than Leonese farmers. They lived a good life, but everything changed upon the ascension of Isabel, and the following civil war. The de Costas found themselves the bastions of liberalism and democracy, advocating for a new Spain, a Spain void of absolutism and tyrants. After Carlos won, Ismael was 11. Miguel taught Ismael that Carlos was a tyrant, an absolutist, and a usurper. Ismael grew up helping his grandfather out with his farm outside of León, a job he performed until age 19. Miguel was an advocate of college, and when Miguel was of a proper age, Miguel pulled some strings, and eventually Ismael was enrolled at the University of León. However, when Miguel was arrested and hanged for 'treason', Ismael lost all faith in Carlos. Ismael thought that Carlos was a forgiving man, and he hoped that his father would survive after he confessed to his crimes. This would not be the case however, and at age 21, Ismael de Costa lost his father. Shaken, angry, and sad, Ismael knew that in order to preserve the liberal ideals that his father held, he must not enter the courtly politics, for that is what ended the life of his father. Instead, Ismael is going to pursue his dream of becoming a lawyer, and he will fight for Spain in a much different court than his father.

From the Duque de Zaragoza to the SLC members (Private - SLC)

The proposal provided for by the Duke of Alba seems like a good way forward to better coordinate organization. I am therefore much in support of it.

Lieutenant General, Isandro Durante, Duque de Zaragoza y de la Torre, Marquis de Santa Maria de Silvela

The Duque de Zaragoza to the Cabinet, King and SLC (private SLC, King, Cabinet)

I have allowed some significant time to elapse since my last writings in, and I must say I am confused why it has been so long without any confirmation or denial of my proposal for military pensions. This proposal also had been endorsed by the Duque de Valencia and many other lower ranking officers in the army. So in case the verdict somehow failed to reach me by virtue of republican filth, or some other mundane means I thought it best to provide a remainder to all. Having some knowledge on the result of my proposal for Pensions would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Lieutenant General, Isandro Durante, Duque de Zaragoza y de la Torre, Marquis de Santa Maria de Silvela

Census of 1851:

5jT3keb.png

Population: 20.83 Million
Adult Male Population: 5.20 Million

Dominant Culture: Spanish
Dominant Religion: Catholic
Dominant Occupation: Farming
Dominant Ideology: Conservatism
Literacy: 13.2%

Last edited:
ptkJEYQ.png

Another pamphlet at Court​

Peers of Spain, friends, cousins, brothers and sisters, for over a decade we have lived in absolute sin, without care for spiritual welfare and only for earthly possessions. His Majesty Carlos V has been in ill council, the clergy who profess their loyalty to his Majesty, our nation together with Pope and God, has not acted as their duty towards all four of them, and instead neglected their spirit and soul in search for earthly glory and prestige. In what was meant to be a year of glory, 1839 when his Majesty won his throne and deposed the pretender Isabella, we neglected the duty of Christian spirit and charity. It was perhaps this victory that gave our clergy boldness and confidence, and the blindness of earthly vanity that they think they might ignore the word of god and his holy wisdom. Instead they have approved, wishing no alteration and instead of counseling the King well in these matters, they have let it fall into despair with lack of care or Christian spirit. In the year 1839, the late Pope Gregory XVI issued the In supremo apostolatus stating for those unknown to Latin.

Wherefore WE, desiring to turn away so great a reproach as this from all the boundaries of Christians, and the whole matter being maturely weighed, certain cardinals of the holy Roman Church, our venerable brethren being also called into council,

treading in the footsteps of our predecessors, with apostolic authority,

do vehemently admonish and adjure in the Lord all believers in Christ, of whatsoever condition,

that no one hereafter may dare unjustly to molest Indians, negroes, or other men of this sort;

or to spoil them of their goods; or to reduce them to slavery;

or to extend help or favour to others who perpetrate such things against them; or to exercise that inhuman trade by which negroes, as if they were not men, but mere animals,

howsoever reduced into slavery, are, without any distinction, contrary to the laws of justice and humanity, bought, sold, and doomed sometimes to the most sever and exhausting labours;

What has our state however done, with the blessing of the clergy who has misled us all. We have expanded in Africa, we have enslaved the population against the will of God as issued by his representative here on earth to whom we all must adhere. We nobles have given up our serfs, why in an affront to God should we allow plantation owners to keep their slaves, against Gods and Church’s holy word. We have broken our duties as rightful Christians and abroad they laugh at us for this, we must change this if we are to save Spain in the eyes of God.

And where has the Primate of Spain been in this issue, this corruption of our state and our morals, the defiance of God and his representatives. Well I am sure you have all heard what he was named a few years ago, the Fat Cardinal. Yet he is Cardinal in nothing but his name, for decades he has held the position of Primate of Spain, he has abandoned the word of God, he has allowed this Kingdom and his Majesty to go astray and has done nothing to prevent it.

Now I will make no comment on the appearance of the Primate, but the nickname of Fat Cardinal means more than that, it represents the ills of this country, greed of clergy and government and the Primate’s ill judgement and lack of care for his office or the people of Spain in giving good advice to his Majesty. The clergy who has let go the responsibility, who no longer listens to God’s representative. They hunger for earthly glory and power, they seek not the advancement of Spain but purely greedy concepts such as wealth, titles and prestige. I recently got my first son, the first thing I will learn him is how to read, how to write, all the great studies. The people of Spain are his Majesty’s children, and they have been neglected, let us teach them as they deserve, let us teach them to read and to write, this should be a goal of the church, to help the poor as they have in times past.

To the clergy, let the Fat Cardinal die, let him be reborn as a guardian of the people who help them in need, no longer taking their wealth but instead showing them the way to god, and treat them as any child for they are all his Majesty’s children. Do your duty to Majesty which you have neglected, and even more important, your duty to God which you have fully neglected, before long we shall all stand judgement before the gates of Saint Peter.

To his Majesty Carlos V, I implore you, readjust the course you are on, ban the slave trade as is the will of god, save your own soul and the redemption of every subject in your Majesty’s kingdom. Do not let your judgement be clouded by base greed, vanity and desire of those around you, let instead your immortal soul rise above and beyond it, to true majesty.

Don Manuel de Alcántara Álvarez de Toledo, 14th Duque of the Infantado, 10th Duque of Pastrana, 10th Duque of Estremera, 11th Duque of Francavilla, 11th Duque of Peñaranda de Duero, 9th Marqués of Távara, Marqués de Santillana, Marqués del Cenete, Marqués de Almenara, Marqués de Cea, Marqués de Campoo, Marqués de Algecilla, Marqués de Argüeso, Marqués de Valderrábano, Marqués de Villanueva del Fresno y Barcarrota, Marqués de la Algaba, Marqués de la Bañeza, Marqués de Mirallo, Marqués de Valdunquillo, Conde de Saldaña, Conde de Villada, Conde del Real de Manzanares, Conde del Cid, Conde de Montijo, Conde de Miranda del Castañar, Conde de Fuentidueña, Conde de Casarrubios del Monte, Conde de San Esteban de Gormaz y Vizconde de Palacios de la Valduerna.

Reactions:
((For the record, the slave trade's been abolished for years; we've even been helping the British combat it... though if they continue to refuse acknowledging us... >.>))

Reactions:
((For the record, the slave trade's been abolished for years; we've even been helping the British combat it... though if they continue to refuse acknowledging us... >.>))

((Slavery though is still legal in every Spanish colony except the northern half of the Philippines. Not sure if that is what Sneaky is complaining about))

Reactions:
(That slavery is still allowed is a big thing, but also that at the end of the conquest of Warri we enslaved several thousands blacks and sent them off to our colonies, as such we still allow and conduct slave trading.
As Naxhi wrote: "Thousands of Africans were chained and sent to Equatorial Guinea and Cuba to act as slave labor. This was the first colonial expedition by the Spanish in almost a hundred years. Perhaps with this, the Spanish Empire could be revived, but not as an American Empire, as an African Empire?"
So if trading in slaves is illegal, then those who comitted the crime has not been punished or attempted to be punished and as such the crown as still failed in upholding its own laws.)

(That slavery is still allowed is a big thing, but also that at the end of the conquest of Warri we enslaved several thousands blacks and sent them off to our colonies, as such we still allow and conduct slave trading.
As Naxhi wrote: "Thousands of Africans were chained and sent to Equatorial Guinea and Cuba to act as slave labor. This was the first colonial expedition by the Spanish in almost a hundred years. Perhaps with this, the Spanish Empire could be revived, but not as an American Empire, as an African Empire?"
So if trading in slaves is illegal, then those who comitted the crime has not been punished or attempted to be punished and as such the crown as still failed in upholding its own laws.)

((Warri is also a slave state. So even if the Spanish didnt try to sneak out some slaves and send them to Cuba against government orders, they would have most likely kept them in Warri))

Aides of the Duke of Valencia make discreet inquiries as to whether there is any truth in the accusations of slave trade and if so, whether the culprits were brought to justice.

Reactions:
((Warri is also a slave state. So even if the Spanish didnt try to sneak out some slaves and send them to Cuba against government orders, they would have most likely kept them in Warri))

((There is a distinction between the international slave trade and the domestic slave trade. The United States, for instance, had abolished the importation of new slaves, however, the slave trade I believe Sneaky is referring to is the domestic buying-and-selling of slaves from within Spain and her holdings, which, going by the actions of this government in Warri, has not been banned. In fact, it seems to have been endorsed by the state. Regardless, and Sneaky can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he is writing against the continued movement of slaves from Africa to the Caribbean.))

Reactions:
(("Endorsed by the state." I would rather you not make assumptions about my government, particularly when said action was simply an unwitting action performed via GM fiat))