• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Several years having passed since the rise of the first postwar government of Carlos V, the King announces a revised government, replacing several ministers who he felt weren't quite up to snuff, and inviting some new blood in.

First Secretary of State: Alejo María Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava, Duque de Valencia (Kein)

Second Secretary of State: Andrés María Cardinal de Porcelli y Vallabriga (Luft)
Secretary of State for the Treasury: Don Aldo Trumpo (Noco)
Secretary of State for Economic Affairs: Don Aldo Trumpo (Noco)
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs: Don Esteban Alonso Fitz-James Stuart y Silva, Duque de Alba (Mars)
Secretary of State for Grace and Justice: Don Artai Amaro de Soutomaior y Andrade, Duque de la Coruna (Lyon)

Undersecretary of State for Grace and Justice: Andrés María Cardinal de Porcelli y Vallabriga (Luft)
Secretary of the Office of War: Alejo María Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava, Duque de Valencia (Kein)
Secretary of State for the Interior: Don Artai Amaro de Soutomaior y Andrade Duque de la Coruna (Lyon)
Secretary of State for Public Works: Alejandro Manuel Felice Juan Francesco de Soneta di Belmonte (ML)
Secretary of State for Development: Barros T. X. Hortun y Llorente Etxeto, Conde de Vizcaya (Dadarian)
Secretary of Church and Papal Relations: Andrés María Cardinal de Porcelli y Vallabriga (Luft)

Chancellor of the Royal Philippine Company: Joaquín António Bakar Vélaz Gorrimendi (Jack)

Reactions:
((Private Revan - and upon approval, Gov't and Officers listed))

With increasing operations in the Niger Delta it seems prudent to establish a base for naval operations in the area. As such construction of docks and depots on the isle known as Fernando Pó shall be authorized post-haste.
((Build Naval Base on Fernando Pó))

The Office of War produces an updated list of postings, commissions, and military dispositions.

((If officers want a specific posting they will have to ask. In IC.))

Military Dispositions and Expansion 1845

Ejército del Centro
CO: Capitán General Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz, Duque de la Victoria ((RR))
Total Number of Brigades: 7 (21,000 men)
Four Regular Brigades (12,000 men)
One Engineer Brigade (3,000 men)
One Cuirassier Brigades (3,000 men)
One Hussar Brigade (3,000 men)​

Army: Ejército de Extremadura
CO: Teniente General Emilio Agustín Huerta, Duque de Soria ((Cheef))
Total Number of Brigades: 8 (24,000 men)
Four Regular Brigades (12,000 men)
Two Cuirassier Brigades (6,000 men)
One Hussar Brigade (3,000 men)
One Cannon Brigade (3,000 Artillerists, 300 cannons)​

Army: Ejército del Sur
CO: Teniente General Isandro Durante, Duque de la Torre ((Otto)
Total Number of Brigades: 16 (48,000 men)
1st Division
CO: Teniente General Isandro Durante, Duque de la Torre
Five Regular Brigades (15,000 men)
2nd Division
CO: General de Brigada Dieter Goicochea y Herrera, Barón de Albarracín ((Sp))
Five Regular Brigades (15,000 men)

Army: Guarnición de Cuba
CO: General de Brigada Eduardo Francisco Pizarro ((DG))
Total Number of Brigades: 3 (9,000 men)
Three Regular Brigades (9,000 men)​

Army: Guarnición de Filipinas
CO: General de Brigada Rodrigo Fajardo de Mendoza, Baron of Polop and Benidorm ((lifeless))
Total Number of Brigades: 3 (9,000 men)
One Regular Brigade (3,000 men)
Two Filipino Infantry Brigades (6,000 men)​

Army: Ejército del Níger

CO: General de Brigada Roberto Rafael Cortez Allende ((Terra)
Total Number of Brigades: 9 (27,000 men)
1st Division
CO: General de Brigada Roberto Rafael Cortez Allende
Total Number of Brigades: 4 (12,000 men)
One Ijaw Hussar Brigade (3,000 men)
2nd Division
CO: General de Brigada Carlos Maria de Alvear y Ponce de Leon ((zen))
Total Number of Brigades: 5 (15,000 men)
One Cuirassier Brigade (3,000 men)
One Ijaw Infantry Brigade (3,000 men)

Fleet: Armada Real Española
CO: Almirante Pedro Nolasco Marcilla de Teruel y Oca Moctezuma, Conde de Moctezuma de Tultengo ((Attalus))
Base: La Coruña
Total Number of Ships: 22
Transports: 6
Frigates: 7
Heavy Ships: 9
Fleet: Armada de Filipinas
CO: Contraalmirante Infante Juan, Conde de Montizón ((Pluto))
Base: Manila
Total Number of Ships: 5
Transports: 3
Frigates: 2​

Officers attached to the War Office or on non military duties:
General de Ejército Alejo M. Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava, Duque de Valencia ((Kein))
General de División Esteban Alonso Fitz-James Stuart y Silva, Duque de Alba ((Mars))
Teniente Coronel Moises Hernando Porras y Maroto ((loggingout))
Comandante Manuel de Alcántara Álvarez de Toledo, Duque de la Infantado ((Sneaky))​

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Duke of Alba sighed. His eyes were aching, but he kept writing. The latest years were not easy. As he once again dipped his quill into the inkpot, he was remembering it all. The lines of the hanged rebels in Portugal, during his state visit in Lissabon. The tears on the eyes of the Prince Carlos at the wake of his wife, whose beauty and intellect was greatly admired at the Spanish Court. He remembered the black faces of the savages in the Niger Delta, brought by some officers into Spain as personal servants - and the disdainful reports of his agents he sent there to buy a plantation. The work in the committee on local rights was tiring, he had to ready many decrees, ordinances and laws, some of them were several hundred years old. And he still had the foreign policy to run! Some positive things occurred as well - he was made a general of the division.

Much has happened - but the most important changes have occurred in the foreign policies, and then had to be reflected in the instructions and orders that would need to draft...

320px-Blason_Fitz-James,_Ducs_d'Albe_de_Tormes.svg.png

A excerpt from the order of the DUKE of ALBA to the responsible undersecretaries of his department ((Private))

... It is clear that despite all our friendly gestures, the distant Albion keeps scorning us. The latest response coming from the Queen Victoria to our Ambassador, the Prince of Belmonte, demonstrates that the oligarchy of London that has been using the British Crown as tool since the so-called "glorious revolution", does not want cooperation. They have refused even to acknowledge the rule of His Majesty, King Carlos, whom the whole world has acclaimed as the rightful Monarch of Spain. And such a recognition and respect towards the high status of the head of state of other country is the most basic condition of any diplomatic relationships. Therefore we would not spend more time and resources on the United Kingdom now.

On the other hand, the embassy of Duke of Infantado was successful. While King Louis Philipe and his ministers are antagonistic to many of our ideas, nevertheless we have understanding regarding several levels of cooperation and should continue to develop them,

However, it should be of the most important for us to concentrate on building ties with the Kingdom of Prussia, for it shares many of the founding principles that are important for us as well and could be a good ally in the future...

((MoFA plan - increase relationships with Prussia and France, when we reach 200 with France, concentrate only on Prussia)))

A speech by DUKE of ALBA said in Berlin, during an audience with HIS MAJESTY, KING FREDERICK WILHELM IV of PRUSSIA ((Private))

Your Majesty!

It is an honor for me to stand before you here. First of all, on behalf of my King I want to express the deep gratitude we all feel towards the illustrious House of Hohenzollern that has has during the dark hour of division in our country, supported the rightful claim of our Sovereign. It means much for my King - and if only for this reason, He wishes to be a good friend to Your Majesty and great Prussia.

However, it is not the only one, we are united by common approach to life, common values, common ideals. We all know that both your August father and Your Majesty yourself are steady defenders of the noble principles of tradition, morals, faith and the Divine Right of Monarchs. The state that is ruled by Your Majesty is an example of a country based on obedience to law and legitimate authority, respect towards moral principles and patriotism. It is also known that we do share the basic tenets of the Holy Alliance, of which Prussia has been a member for a long time. I believe that all of it, at these turbulent times, makes our further cooperation even more desirable.

Respecting your bloodline very much and wishing to solidify the ties between two Houses and two states, my King, Carlos V, asks for the hand of Your niece, Princess Marie Louise Anna of Prussia, for His eldest son and heir , Crown Prince Carlos of Asturias. God has taken the wife from our future Sovereign - but we hope that He in his omnipotence would bless the future matrimony with a lady coming from such a distinguished and pious family.

While the opinion of Your brother, Prince Charles, the father of Her Highness, is, of course, important, my King hopes that Your Majesty could agree to such proposal and solicitor the said marriage.

If it happens, I hope that the two Christian realms would stand together against any enemies and continue to defend the holy principles set by Our Creator and Our Saviour together.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Carlos V approves of the proposed postings, commissions, and military dispositions set forth by the Duke of Valencia.

gSqvSzb.jpg

Zumalacárregui hearing the news about the royal deaths
Tomás had barely gotten inside when his wife Camila had come rushing with a letter and a sadface. He asked her what was the matter but she just asked him to read the letter whilst she'd be going to bed. He sat down and began to read the Royal Message. In it, he found a horrible message, because the wife of Infante Carlos, the current crown prince, had not only given birth to a stillborn child but had also died in the process. The Captain-General was horrified. "What could Infante Carlos had done wrong to recieve such a punishment from god?" He didn't hope that God had abandoned the Royal Family and forced himself to think it as the Work of the Devil himself, who had heard the pleas of former Queen Regent María Christina. He didn't know how much of an attachement the Royal Family had gotten to the Russian girl. Tomás had never met her and didn't really care as he didn't think he'd outlive his king. All he knew was that the crown prince needed a new wife and start to produce future heirs.
He didn't know much about her but he still wanted to offer his condolences to the Royal Family, and so he did.

SGch1vt.png

To his Majesty Carlos V de Borbón, Rey de España and to the estemed Royal Family
When I heard about the very unfortunate events concerning the death of the wife and son of Infante Carlos'. Me and my wife praying for the dead and we hope that the afterlife is pleasant. We offer our condolences to his majesty and the royal family.

Best Regards
Captain-General Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imatz, Duque de Victoria y Conde de Bilbao

((Private - @DutchGuy ))

To General de brigada Don Eduardo Francisco Pizarro, Conde de Lima

Ilustrísimo Señor,

As you have served as the senior officer of the Cuba Garrison for some time, it pleases me that His Majesty has accepted my recommendation that you be appointed Captain General and Governor of Cuba.
With the so-called ladder conspiracy fresh in our, and the populace's, minds I cannot but impress upon you the necessity of maintaining stable government in the island. I would also draw your attention to His Majesty's proclamation on the treatment of those in bonds. Whilst no formal legal or penal measures were taken to enforce it, it is of the utmost importance that material improvement is made in their treatment. Please advise if you believe such legislation would aid in the development of the situation.

Yours,
0dEtjZP.png

Alejo Ma. Sastre,
HCM's First Secretary of State,
Duque de Valencia

Last edited:
NazCdlj.png

It is with great respect that I proclaim my King's wishes to reward the Spanish government with honors befitting of their assistance in restoring him to his rightful and gracious throne:

His Majesty King Carlos V shall receive the Order of the Tower and Sword, and be inducted as a Knight of the Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa.

General Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imatz, General Isandro Durante, and First Secretary Santa Ava shall receive the Military Valor Medal, and the War Cross. They shall also be inducted into the Order of Saint Michael and the Wing.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Don Esteban Alonso Fitz-James Stuart y Silva shall receive the Distinguished Service Medal as well as induction into the Order of Saint Michael and the Wing

-Representative of King Miguel I of Portugal.

Last edited:
Reactions:

A speech by DUKE of ALBA said in Berlin, during an audience with HIS MAJESTY, KING FREDERICK WILHELM IV of PRUSSIA ((Private))

Your Majesty!

It is an honor for me to stand before you here. First of all, on behalf of my King I want to express the deep gratitude we all feel towards the illustrious House of Hohenzollern that has has during the dark hour of division in our country, supported the rightful claim of our Sovereign. It means much for my King - and if only for this reason, He wishes to be a good friend to Your Majesty and great Prussia.

However, it is not the only one, we are united by common approach to life, common values, common ideals. We all know that both your August father and Your Majesty yourself are steady defenders of the noble principles of tradition, morals, faith and the Divine Right of Monarchs. The state that is ruled by Your Majesty is an example of a country based on obedience to law and legitimate authority, respect towards moral principles and patriotism. It is also known that we do share the basic tenets of the Holy Alliance, of which Prussia has been a member for a long time. I believe that all of it, at these turbulent times, makes our further cooperation even more desirable.

Respecting your bloodline very much and wishing to solidify the ties between two Houses and two states, my King, Carlos V, asks for the hand of Your niece, Princess Marie Louise Anna of Prussia, for His eldest son and heir , Crown Prince Carlos of Asturias. God has taken the wife from our future Sovereign - but we hope that He in his omnipotence would bless the future matrimony with a lady coming from such a distinguished and pious family.

While the opinion of Your brother, Prince Charles, the father of Her Highness, is, of course, important, my King hopes that Your Majesty could agree to such proposal and solicitor the said marriage.

If it happens, I hope that the two Christian realms would stand together against any enemies and continue to defend the holy principles set by Our Creator and Our Saviour together.

HgvQx6d.png

His Highness, King Frederick William IV of Prussia notes the relations held between the King of Spain and his late father, and will happily oblige to marrying his cousin, Princess Marie Louise Anna of Prussia to the Prince of Asturias.

-Representative of King Frederick William IV of Prussia

Having been completely forgotten and ignored by the Carlist regime, Manuel Gutierrez de la Concha boards a ship bound for his homeland of Argentina, never to set foot in Spain again.

((New character coming soon.))

Pere felt thoroughly guilty as he threaded the streets of Elche. Of course, he should probably have been worried as well; if this turned out badly he could well be out of a job. Before long he found himself at the door of a certain Emerald; his destination.

((Well someone had to :D, hiring @Michaelangelo ))

The Emerald of Elche: Part VII

Esmeralda sat at her usual table in the inn, eyeing the patrons carefully to spot any potential clients. Business was fairly slow today, the common room practically empty. One handsome man caught her eye, but upon closer inspection she noted that his gaze was focused on another male patron. The fact that he kept licking his lips and gazing longingly at the man made Esmeralda realize he wouldn't be interested in her unless she had a little something extra hidden under her skirt.

Just when Esmeralda was ready to retire for the night, for there was no potential clients, the door opened and a well-dressed man entered. He had a regal bearing to him, making it clear that he was either important or worked for someone important. Now here was a man worthy of her attention. As he entered, Pere scanned the room, his eyes finally settling on Esmeralda. She was the only woman in the establishment who either wasn't serving drinks or didn't look like she'd smashed her face into a rock several times. As he approached, Esmeralda reclined seductively on her chair. She rolled her shoulders back, allowing her to push her breasts out a bit more. She shifted in her seat enough to let her legs show from beneath the table. By the time Pere reached her table, his face was practically glowing red and he kept trying to keep his gaze from wandering.

"May I help you, my good sir?" Esmeralda said as an innocent smirk played across her face.

Pere gulped and asked, "Are you the one they call Esmeralda?"

Ah, so a future client had found her. Perfect. She relaxed slightly, her allure not so heavily intoxicating now that she knew the man was already interested. "Indeed I am. Have you come to make use of my services?"

Pere was clearly uncomfortable at the whole situation, constantly adjusting his collar and fidgeting nonstop. A first-timer then, or perhaps someone with a wife? There were many reasons that a man might be nervous to seek out such a service, but it was Esmeralda's job to erase those doubts. She leaned forward across the table, letting the man get a clear view of her cleavage. That made him sputter a bit before he could respond. "I've come on behalf of another."

That piqued Esmeralda's interests. The only people who sent others to hire her were either too rich to do things themselves or were too important to be seen hiring her. Either way, that was a good sign. "So how may I serve this... master?... of yours?"

Pere looked to his side to see if anyone else was watching, but the patrons had seen enough men come to Esmeralda's table to stop caring. He cleared his throat and said, "Well the duke does not exactly know that I wish to hire you for him."

Duke? Esmeralda did her best to hide her surprise. She'd finally hit the jackpot. She'd met with many barons and even a couple counts, but never a duke. That was a height she had yet to reach. With this job, she'd be one step down from royalty. "So you wish to offer little ol' me as a gift to this duke of yours?"

Pere nodded at first, but then started to shake his head. "Not exactly. He has been very stressed as of late and needs something to relieve that."

Esmeralda was liking the sound of this more and more. A stressed duke in need of release. This was right up her alley. She casually rose from her seat and approached Pere. Standing next to him, she smiled at him and said, "It's very sweet of you to think of your duke's needs like that."

Before Pere could respond, an idea popped into her head, a way to ensure this job and gain a little extra cash. "But it would be unprofessional of you to not ensure that I was right for this task. You wouldn't want to put me before the duke unless you knew I could serve the purpose you intend."

Pere's face was even more red now, especially as Esmeralda drew closer, running her fingers down his arm. She leaned against him, her lips brushing against his shoulders as she whispered in his ear. "You would want to risk disappointing your duke, now would you?"

Pere shook his head so vigorously that Esmeralda had to suppress a chuckle. Instead she started guiding the man to the back towards her room in the inn. She spent the rest of the night proving that she was exactly what the duke needed. When she was finally done, Esmeralda was certain Pere would arrange a meeting for her with this duke of his. She never left a client unsatisfied.

((If anything seems out-of-character for Pere, feel free to suggest changes, @Keinwyn.))

((Private - @DutchGuy ))

To General de brigada Eduardo Francisco Pizarro, Conde de Lima

Señor,

As you have served as the senior officer of the Cuba Garrison for some time, it pleases me that His Majesty has accepted my recommendation that you be appointed Captain General and Governor of Cuba.
With the so-called ladder conspiracy fresh in our, and the populace's, minds I cannot but impress upon you the necessity of maintaining stable government in the island. I would also draw your attention to His Majesty's proclamation on the treatment of those in bonds. Whilst no formal legal or penal measures were taken to enforce it, it is of the utmost importance that material improvement is made in their treatment. Please advise if you believe such legislation would aid in the development of the situation.

Yours,
0dEtjZP.png

Alejo Ma. Sastre,
HCM's First Secretary of State,
Duque de Valencia

((Private - @Keinwyn ))
To the Excelentísimo Señor el Duque de Valencia

Excelentísimo Señor,

It is with great pride I accept the appointment and I will do my best to serve in His Majesty Carlos V name in the colony of Cuba.

On the matter of the slave insurrection, nessesary but not excessive action will be taken and I will see to it to implement, with His Majesties permission, several measures to improve the working and living conditions of Christian slaves. While these plans will be formulated fully as soon as possible, expect matters as building churches for slaves and giving slaves the sunday off to rest and work , hour reductions and newer, stricter standards on housing and punishment. I hope these measures will prove satisfactory to reform the practise of slavery for this modern age.

Yours,

Eduardo Francisco Pizarro,
His Majesties Captain General and Governor of the Colony of Cuba
Conte de Lima (In exile)

Last edited:
((Private Cabinet, Military Officers, Riccardo))

On the Merits of Military Pensions

Volunteers are the bread and butter of an army, they are more motivated and take to the rigors of military discipline much better than their conscripted comrades. It has come to my attention though, that many of these men struggle with their lives when their service is over, be in through injury or old age. These now discharged soldiers, heroes of Spain, often find themselves unable to sustain themselves. The vast majority are unable to save money by virtue of having nowhere to put it and thus, this money, being unable to hold onto it lest one fears it will get lost or stolen gets spent on immediate wants, such as drink. Yet even with encouraged temperance the money is still spent, for the logical thing to do when you cannot keep your money is to spend it on something, anything that benefits you.

To solve this issue I have come up with a novel idea, we make a new government program to fix it. In this program anyone employed by the government can apply and have his wage deducted, say three percent. This money will then be held for worker until the time of their retirement of discharge. Once out of government service this pension is made available to those who payed into it and they can withdraw it at anytime and in any quantity they want, until their pension is empty. The effect for this, while insignificant for those in civilian life, will be major for members in the military as it allows soldiers to be able to store their money safely when they would otherwise be unable to.

- Lieutenant General, Isandro Durante, Duque de Zaragoza, de la Torre, Marquis de Santa Maria de Silvela, Order of Montesa, Royal and Military Order of Saint Ferdinand, Order of Saint Michael and the Wing, Military Valor Medal, and the War Cross

Springtime in Spain: 1845-1848

Between 1845 and 1847, nothing really much happened in Spain. The biggest event of the time was when Prince Carlos married a Prussian Princess. Other then that, most of the time was devolved around managing the new colony in Benin, and tracking down Republicans throughout Spain. A papal blessing led to a crackdown in Republican dissent, and a secret police was established to help crack down on Cristino sympathies in the south. Spain though was about to be rocked by unrest and revolt as the tides of change swept over Europe in an attempt to topple old regimes and start new ones.

Spring of 1847 started off as a peaceful time. In Spain, Carlos V was anticipating the birth of the child of his son Carlos, as well as rumors that his second son Juan was going to be a father as well. Spain was relatively peaceful. Resentment to the King from liberals was mild at best, but the King never really brought problems to his subjects. That was until word reached Spain; Austria was having a revolution. The Kaiser had asked the Hungarian contingent of its Empire to disband their army in the hopes of centralizing Imperial authority in Vienna. Hungary refused to comply, and in the end, the Hungarians were in revolt. Austrian forces stormed into Hungary as civil dissent rose across Austria among other minorities. Kaiser Franz Joseph, the new Kaiser of the Empire, forced Prince Klemens Wenzel von Metternich to resign from his post as chancellor. The reactionary movement in Austria had ended. This event sent shockwaves throughout Europe as across Eastern and Central Europe, the people rose up asking for more freedoms and more rights. In Germany, liberals rose up in defiance of the absolute monarchs of Germania. By the late 1848’s, Berlin would be seized by the revolutionaries and a New Prussian constitution would be put into effect. The spring of 1847 would kick off what is now considered the Springtime of Nations.

Maerz1848_berlin.jpg

(Revolutionaries in Germany)

Carlos V was not concerned. The country was under his control. No way a revolutionary group could somehow take it from him! He was mostly right. After seeing what happened to Tomas Martell, the Spanish did not really want to rise up. The economy was doing good, taxes were just lowered, their lives were alright. However, that all changed in the fall of 1847. The Springtime was about to escalate and move west. In France, resentment to the increasingly conservative policies of King Louis-Philippe had angered the people. This anger boiled over along with the German revolts and the Hungarian revolt when French civilians marched through Paris demanding an end to the monarchy. Louis-Philippe fled France and a provisional government was established. This government would declare the creation of the Second French Republic, the first fully democratic society on Mainland Europe since the French Revolution. The fall of House d’Orleans ripples through Iberia. A democratic society now borders the most absolute nation in Europe. Things were about to get very messy.

Lar9_philippo_001z.jpg

(The Second French Revolution)

It all started in Seville. Seville was a bastion for liberal and Cristino sympathizers since the rise of the Carlists. In early 1848, protests erupted in Seville as the population called for reforms. Carlos V knew that if this problem was not nipped in the butt right away, it could be disaster. He sent a letter to the protesters telling them to organize and send a letter stating their demands. He said he did not want this to escalate into violence, and would happily listen to his subject’s pleas. So the protesters organized in Seville, and met to write up a list of demands. In-fighting among the revolutionaries was immediate. Moderates wanted only moderate reforms, many in the assembly wanted the King to retain absolute power, republicans wanted to get rid of the monarchy, and liberals wished to see the monarch become bound by a constitution. Eventually, they hobbled a set of demands and sent them to Madrid where the King said “he will consider this proposal”. He was waiting to see if the Congress would collapse, and it did. The Congress dissolved, and when it dissolved, Seville went up in flames. Riots arose between the various factions and the government as looting/assault grew. Carlos saw this, and decided he needed to “restore order” to Seville by sending in the military. The military would be bogged down by the rebels who had barricaded themselves in the street. Carlos V though pulled an ace out of his sleeve, and passed his own reform. In 1848, Carlos V, by royal decree, abolished serfdom. All serfs were freed of their legal occupations. To sweeten the deal even further, one plot of land confiscated from the Cristinos was given to one serf family, repeated for as many serf families as possible to prevent them from joining the revolution. Carlos V also agreed to hear talks about the eventually abolishment of slavery whether immediate or gradual, nullifying another big revolutionary point. The serfs rejoiced in their freedom, and almost all the poor serf backing of the revolution evaporated. This did not stop the revolutionaries. Agitators across Spain asked for reform and demanded elections as well as rights to speech, press, and assembly. In the summer of 1848, 30,000 rebels rose up in defiance of the Carlist regime across Southern Spain. The Carlists though used the propaganda of the violence in Hungary to deteriorate moderates. By the fall of 1848, the rebels had been crushed. Instability still racked the Kingdom. Revolutionary agitators were still causing protests, and were causing problems for the Carlists everywhere. Militancy was moderate, mostly among middle class liberals. That being said, serious problems could emerge for the Carlist regime should the revolutionaries organize.

BFJK68.jpg

(Revolutionaries in Seville)

In France, a new president had been elected. Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte was elected as Prince-President of the Second French Republic. Louis-Napoleon was Napoleon Bonaparte’s nephew. This scarred a lot of powers in Europe. Another Napoleon leading France? With revolutionary zeal on the rise in Spain, the government of Carlos V look cautiously at their northern neighbors. Would the French try to spread their revolution to Spain? They were already successfully beating the Germans in war, they are clearly capable of it. A lot remained uncertain as the Springtime of nations continued to spread across Europe. The one thing though that would keep Carlos V going was news of his sons. Prince Carlos's wife delivered a stillborn child, but Prince Juan and his wife had a healthy baby boy. Prince Juan would name the boy in honor of his father, and call him Carlos. Should the boy inherit, he will be known as Carlos VII.

Louis-Napol%C3%A9on_Bonaparte_pr%C3%A9sident.JPG

(Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte)
--------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: You got four more days to IC what you need. Remember, if you are in Court to IC responses to what Riccardo is doing to edit his respect.

Last edited:
To His Royal Highness Carlos V of All Spains,
My King, I am most impressed by your most expressive display of graciousness in the freedom of the serfs of Spain. I support your plan, for I am sure you had the utmost assuredness when you decided to make this most dramatic of changes. Furthermore I must thank you most gratefully for your anointing me as Minister to Public works. However I must apologise for my inability to produce a plan in the last years, life passed by too quickly for me to compose a sufficient plan. Thus I shall present it to you now.

Plan for Public Works of 1848
  1. Continued and extended construction of rail lines across the Mainland of Spain, and also the beginnings of a line in the colony of Cuba
  2. A revitalising of the Naval Ports of the Mainland
  3. The construction of a Naval Base at Fernando Po, as per First Secretary Alejandro Sastre's suggestion.

Yours Truly and forever faithfully,
HSH Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte

An Excerpt from "Recollections on My Life" by Infante Juan, Count of Montizón

La Coruña: May 14, 1844

Accompanied by several acquaintances of noble birth in addition to my regular crew, I put off the dearly-loved shore of Spain. This moment was one of great excitement to me, for it was the first time I confided myself to the sea for a long trip to the colonies. After having, whilst it was still early morning, received the mail, the newspapers, and our luggage from home, we, at about nine o'clock, sailed away from our Fatherland. The thunder of the guns from gave us a farewell salute. In the distance I beheld the hills which had become so endeared to me by frequent visits and lengthened residence. I was not able to send more than a few lines to my parents, written in the utmost hurry in my cabin. The sea ran high, the Gloria pitched and rolled heavily, but very soon the waves calmed and were able begin sailing for Warri with the rest of the expedition. I arranged my cabin as well as possible: it was spacious, airy, and agreeable, and might be called pretty, had it not been, that the colors of the furniture and curtains were in a too glaring contrast with each other.

La Gloria: May 26, 1844

In the morning we had the some islands of the Canaries in view; the weather was tolerably fair, and the sea less agitated. As no object impeded the view to the horizon, and the water reflected the light, the eye was sometimes even painfully dazzled. Such sights, on a grand wide stage, can only be seen by a traveler at sea. The intense heat of the sun reminded us that we had entered the southern regions.

La Gloria: June 17, 1844

What Nature is able to do, what powers she can command and work with, how the waves dance, how air and clouds wrestle with each other, can only be seen on the Alps, with their awful lakes surrounded by rocks, or on the wide endless plain of the sea. There the over-awed soul feels the littleness and vanity of man, and yet his courage and pride swell at the thought, that it is his intellect which cleaves the mountain-waves, and under stands how to direct the lightning of the heavens. Such a soul-stirring moment we enjoyed this night. There was a tremendous combat going on amongst the elements; the flashes of lightning were more glaring than daylight, the thunder crashing in short detonations louder than the report of the most powerful gun, violent gusts of wind shrilly shrieking, and the rain pouring down. I got up at about 4 o'clock, put on my clothes in haste, and went for a moment on deck to enjoy the unusual spectacle. Mass, ordered for 10 o'clock, could not take place, for the chaplain was not well, and the movement of the vessel was too violent. However there was a review and music between 10 and 11 o'clock, as usual. The Gold Coast came in sight; we approached the land within two leagues, so that we were able to distinguish very well the small forts and castles that surrounded the town of Cape Coast, which offered nothing extraordinary.

La Gloria: June 24, 1844

Like the Greeks before Troy, we are lying before the entrance of the Niger Delta. Every day one expects to reach it now that we have met with the Armada de Filipinas, but there is never a favorable wind stirring. The sea is like a mirror this morning, and we find ourselves between our destination and the port of Malabo. The shore is to be seen rather distinctly, and a small place on an eminence — probably the town of Calabar — can be detected. The delta plain is lush, flat, and wet, but its form is not particularly remarkable.

Warri: August 28, 1844

Our victory over the local tribe was swift and occurred without any major impediments, making one wonder how the Portuguese, who landed first, had any trouble. The town itself is nothing like those found in Europe despite the influence of Dutch and European merchants. But as of late my focus has been on the sudden and heartbreaking death of my brother’s beloved wife, Olga. So different from the brutish autocrat that is her father, Olga was an attractive woman of the greatest intelligence and culture. I could easily recall pleasant drives with her through charming green avenues and laughing gardens of the Palacio Real de Madrid. For her to have passed so suddenly undoubtedly leaves a black mark over the entire court. I wrote to my brother expressing my deepest sorrow, hoping that the letter would bring him some small comfort.

La Gloria: September 2, 1844

We left Warri, early in the morning, and not a moment too soon. The evening prior I had argued fiercely with a young captain who was forcing chained negroes onto a boat destined for Cuba. Convinced that such an act is wholly illegal both in the eyes of God and the Crown, I swore to take the matter before the king when I returned to Madrid. It must be our duty to help the negroes achieve a standard of living similar to that of Europe through guidance, not enslavement.

At any rate, we return to Spain, where I am to be promoted to the rank of Contraalmirante before sailing with my wife for Manila where I shall take command of the Armada de Filipinas. A journey to the Filipines will no doubt be full of remarkable sights and difficult challenges, though I must admit to dreading being so far from my home. Solace can be found in the fact however, that perhaps there is some good that I can do for the people of Manila during my time there

You Are Cordially Invited To The Union Between

DON ALDO JUAN TRUMPO DE LAZCANO
&
DONA JOANNA DE TOLEDO

Friday, April 7th
Torre Trumpo

"Sir, you have a message from Spain," said the courier, passing Carlos Maria a piece of paper.

"So I am invited to this man's wedding..." said Carlos Maria. "I would love to come, but I'm stuck in the middle of Africa surrounded by savages!"

"I'm not a savage," said the courier, "And I don't think Trumpo expected this--"

"NOBODY EXPECTED THIS!" said Carlos Maria.

Reactions:
The Infantado Household (IV)
ptkJEYQ.png

It was late at night, the candles were lit and most had already gone to bed. Manuel’s wife was pregnant and in her sixth month, some servants were still awake, already preparing the household for the morning. Manuel was alone in his study, it was filled with books, new and old, most of it was harmless, but there were a few texts and papers that to the wrong eye, could look suspicious. It was the only room that Manuel kept completely for himself, of course his wife was allowed at times, and the main servant in their employ, but apart from that the rest were kept out. He sat looking over a paper, thinking what to write, the king was gracious, there was no doubt, his legitimization and the abolishment of slavery. The ministers around him, perhaps less so. The way the country had been managed within the last decade was questionable at best, and if it could continue was worrisome, the recent revolt just showing as much.

When my father was a young man, he stood steadfast in the defense of Spain against any foreign power which may threaten it. For too long have I neglected my responsibility and the great weight that my name carries, as such it is my duty to represent not only king and crown, but that needs of my fellow countrymen.

I first wish to congratulate his Majesty on his wise actions during the recent instability in Seville, but more important at his decision to abolish serfdom. It is a practice that should have been gone long ago, and it gives me hope that Spain is truly moving towards a brighter future. Yet while a light shines at the end of the tunnel, the path there is shrouded in darkness and ill council. Taxes for many years have been near unpayable, while the king’s rule is absolute, then our rights are ancient and one of those rights are by large tax exemption, something which since the start of his Majesty’s reign has been ignored. With the abolishment of serfdom, added costs are made to the running of our estates, it is only reasonable to expect that the taxes which we pay towards His Majesty’s government is reduced to that of his predecessors.

Our taxes have gone to several wars, and during His Majesty’s reign, Spain has found itself in a near state of constant war. While our wars have by no means been as deadly as several other wars across Europe, and I thank his Majesty for this, then the constant continuation of hostile policies has led to the Crown needing continued excessive amount of tax from its most noble subjects. Never before in the history of our great kingdom have we been subject to such heavy taxation for a decade, several noble families are nearing bankruptcy under the weight of the Crowns expenses and tax collectors. I ask, what is the Crown using our taxes for that we must continue to pay at such a criminal rate? I ask that we receive an answer to this. Perhaps instead of constant wars to regain lost land, like the military faction would like. His Majesty should instead follow a saying “What outwards is lost, must inwards be gained.” Let us improve Spain, let us make it rich, not only seeking glory in expensive wars, expensive in both in capital and lives.

His Majesty’s government has not only taxed us far beyond the limit of fair, reasonable and just government. Positions and estates have also been granted to those not deserving, elevations have been made of individuals on a truly national scale. The worst case of this being Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz, while he is no doubt an able general, and deserves all the military honours he has received, then his grants of nobility has far been too much to stomach. The grant which made him Conde de Bilbao was acceptable for the service he provided his Majesty, and the state during the civil war. However his elevation to duke has by far been too much, grossly too much. Not only is he made one of the premier nobles in the realm in rank, but he has been granted such a title from being baseborn, of low blood and as such not worthy of such advancement in a single strike. Not only is it unnatural and unworthy, but it spits on all the nobles who has served our kingdom for generations without such as advancement, who fought off Napoleon and sacrificed their life. Furthermore it devalues the honour and title that it be granted to one of such base birth, he prior held no title and as such is an offense to us all.

I ask his Majesty that he once again accepts and allow us of noble blood to voice our opinion, and that our taxes no longer be placed at levels that are unfair in base to pay for foreign campaigns. I ask that his Majesty listens to the complaints of his nobles, as they are just and righteous, like his own personal reign.

Don Manuel de Alcántara Álvarez de Toledo, 14th Duque of the Infantado, 10th Duque of Pastrana, 10th Duque of Estremera, 11th Duque of Francavilla, 11th Duque of Peñaranda de Duero, 9th Marqués of Távara, Marqués de Santillana, Marqués del Cenete, Marqués de Almenara, Marqués de Cea, Marqués de Campoo, Marqués de Algecilla, Marqués de Argüeso, Marqués de Valderrábano, Marqués de Villanueva del Fresno y Barcarrota, Marqués de la Algaba, Marqués de la Bañeza, Marqués de Mirallo, Marqués de Valdunquillo, Conde de Saldaña, Conde de Villada, Conde del Real de Manzanares, Conde del Cid, Conde de Montijo, Conde de Miranda del Castañar, Conde de Fuentidueña, Conde de Casarrubios del Monte, Conde de San Esteban de Gormaz y Vizconde de Palacios de la Valduerna.

Reactions:
((Private Cabinet, Military Officers, Riccardo))

On the Merits of Military Pensions

Volunteers are the bread and butter of an army, they are more motivated and take to the rigors of military discipline much better than their conscripted comrades. It has come to my attention though, that many of these men struggle with their lives when their service is over, be in through injury or old age. These now discharged soldiers, heroes of Spain, often find themselves unable to sustain themselves. The vast majority are unable to save money by virtue of having nowhere to put it and thus, this money, being unable to hold onto it lest one fears it will get lost or stolen gets spent on immediate wants, such as drink. Yet even with encouraged temperance the money is still spent, for the logical thing to do when you cannot keep your money is to spend it on something, anything that benefits you.

To solve this issue I have come up with a novel idea, we make a new government program to fix it. In this program anyone employed by the government can apply and have his wage deducted, say three percent. This money will then be held for worker until the time of their retirement of discharge. Once out of government service this pension is made available to those who payed into it and they can withdraw it at anytime and in any quantity they want, until their pension is empty. The effect for this, while insignificant for those in civilian life, will be major for members in the military as it allows soldiers to be able to store their money safely when they would otherwise be unable to.

- Lieutenant General, Isandro Durante, Duque de Zaragoza, de la Torre, Marquis de Santa Maria de Silvela, Order of Montesa, Royal and Military Order of Saint Ferdinand, Order of Saint Michael and the Wing, Military Valor Medal, and the War Cross

Valencia expresses broad support for his son-in-law's proposals, and hopes His Majesty will prove himself favourable to the idea, however, he suggests that for the meantime such a programme be limited to the soldiery only, noting that the Duke of Zaragosa himself expects insignificant effects for those outside the military.

When my father was a young man, he stood steadfast in the defense of Spain against any foreign power which may threaten it. For too long have I neglected my responsibility and the great weight that my name carries, as such it is my duty to represent not only king and crown, but that needs of my fellow countrymen.

I first wish to congratulate his Majesty on his wise actions during the recent instability in Seville, but more important at his decision to abolish serfdom. It is a practice that should have been gone long ago, and it gives me hope that Spain is truly moving towards a brighter future. Yet while a light shines at the end of the tunnel, the path there is shrouded in darkness and ill council. Taxes for many years have been near unpayable, while the king’s rule is absolute, then our rights are ancient and one of those rights are by large tax exemption, something which since the start of his Majesty’s reign has been ignored. With the abolishment of serfdom, added costs are made to the running of our estates, it is only reasonable to expect that the taxes which we pay towards His Majesty’s government is reduced to that of his predecessors.

Our taxes have gone to several wars, and during His Majesty’s reign, Spain has found itself in a near state of constant war. While our wars have by no means been as deadly as several other wars across Europe, and I thank his Majesty for this, then the constant continuation of hostile policies has led to the Crown needing continued excessive amount of tax from its most noble subjects. Never before in the history of our great kingdom have we been subject to such heavy taxation for a decade, several noble families are nearing bankruptcy under the weight of the Crowns expenses and tax collectors. I ask, what is the Crown using our taxes for that we must continue to pay at such a criminal rate? I ask that we receive an answer to this. Perhaps instead of constant wars to regain lost land, like the military faction would like. His Majesty should instead follow a saying “What outwards is lost, must inwards be gained.” Let us improve Spain, let us make it rich, not only seeking glory in expensive wars, expensive in both in capital and lives.

His Majesty’s government has not only taxed us far beyond the limit of fair, reasonable and just government. Positions and estates have also been granted to those not deserving, elevations have been made of individuals on a truly national scale. The worst case of this being Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz, while he is no doubt an able general, and deserves all the military honours he has received, then his grants of nobility has far been too much to stomach. The grant which made him Conde de Bilbao was acceptable for the service he provided his Majesty, and the state during the civil war. However his elevation to duke has by far been too much, grossly too much. Not only is he made one of the premier nobles in the realm in rank, but he has been granted such a title from being baseborn, of low blood and as such not worthy of such advancement in a single strike. Not only is it unnatural and unworthy, but it spits on all the nobles who has served our kingdom for generations without such as advancement, who fought off Napoleon and sacrificed their life. Furthermore it devalues the honour and title that it be granted to one of such base birth, he prior held no title and as such is an offense to us all.

I ask his Majesty that he once again accepts and allow us of noble blood to voice our opinion, and that our taxes no longer be placed at levels that are unfair in base to pay for foreign campaigns. I ask that his Majesty listens to the complaints of his nobles, as they are just and righteous, like his own personal reign.

Don Manuel de Alcántara Álvarez de Toledo, 14th Duque of the Infantado, 10th Duque of Pastrana, 10th Duque of Estremera, 11th Duque of Francavilla, 11th Duque of Peñaranda de Duero, 9th Marqués of Távara, Marqués de Santillana, Marqués del Cenete, Marqués de Almenara, Marqués de Cea, Marqués de Campoo, Marqués de Algecilla, Marqués de Argüeso, Marqués de Valderrábano, Marqués de Villanueva del Fresno y Barcarrota, Marqués de la Algaba, Marqués de la Bañeza, Marqués de Mirallo, Marqués de Valdunquillo, Conde de Saldaña, Conde de Villada, Conde del Real de Manzanares, Conde del Cid, Conde de Montijo, Conde de Miranda del Castañar, Conde de Fuentidueña, Conde de Casarrubios del Monte, Conde de San Esteban de Gormaz y Vizconde de Palacios de la Valduerna.

Valencia wrinkles his nose at the uncouth statement about the birth of the Capitán General. He fears the Duke of the Infantado may be betraying the basity of his own origins by committing such stuff to print.

Whilst he may (privately) concede that taxes have been a little high, the idea that a six-month excursion to restore King Miguel to his rightful throne constitutes a 'constant state of war' is laughable. As such he dismisses the pamphlet as the hyperbole of a young man eager to make a political name for himself.

Jorge_Tadeo_Lozano.jpg

In the Cortz.
Lord Etxeto had thunderclouds about his brow. Though pleased with his place as Secretary of State for Development, it was still a minor position of state. More importantly, he had just received his personal tax receipt. Some thirty percent of his land duties were stolen by the Duque de Valencia in the name of the King. This was completely unacceptable.

Lord Etxeto knew it was the Duque because he often had lunch with the young Trumpo, who much rather spent his time building towers than doing his job. Furthermore, the clergy were being taxed in the slightest, which was a slight in the eyes of God and the Crown. Obviously the King could not have been briefed on these changes, and were done by a rogue element within those thrice-damned Conquistas.

Taking up his quill, Lord Etxeto penned a pair of letters as well as a dictate.

Dear Duque,

Thy missive hath brought the light of the misdeeds of the Duque de Valencia unto mine eyes. His taxation of the nobility and the clergy art unacceptable. I knoweth 'twas him and not mine cater-cousin Don Trumpo because I am a near confidant of the Don. Marry, he is too distemperate to doth his work aply.

I inviteth thou to dine with me on the upcoming Sabbath, so we may further break with the future of Spain and the mistreatment of the King's by the secretaries of state.

Lord Etxeto

Dear Dom,

Mine cater-cousin, work needs to be done. Thou needeth to leave the coast and thy towers behind and return to the court! Misdeeds art perpetrated in thy name and it wilt be rectified. Taxes art laid upon the nobles and clergy in equal measure by the twistings of something rotten in the government.

Returneth to Madrid, take backe thy titles in state and endues these taxes down to proper levels.

- - - -

Missive by the Secretary of State for Development
The undue liberalisation of the serfs hath brought down economic misfortune upon thou crown. The noble families and clergy buckle under taxation that they should not endure. Thus this secretariat recommends the immediate reinstitution of serfdom within the confines of the fief of the Crown of Carlos V.