• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bonam Diem, Don de Soneta di Belmonte

My heart is warmed by a young man willing to offer himself to the cause of righteousness and legitimacy. There is no doubt in my mind that with such zeal and open dedication you will go on to do great things for Spain and her people.

As such, I would invite you to travel to Madrid and take up service as Undersecretary of State for Foreign Affairs. May you serve Crown and Country to the best of your abilities.

Sincerely,
Maria Christina,
Reina Madre de España

War Chronicles II of Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte

Alejandro was just settling into one of the finer establishments in Valencia, when he was presented with a humble looking letter, sans the flourishing purple seal that immediately identified it as from the royal family, most likely the Queen given his letter to her.

The letter was short, but it's contents filled Alejandro's heart with great joy, to be a member of such a esteemed group of individuals, he would be sure to thank the regent soon, but first he must ask of his new superior, Don Erasmo Falcon, leader of the true government. Thus Alejandro set to work.

To Don Falcon,
I trust you are well, in this most challenging of times.
I write to your person to inform you of my new position, as decided by the Regent herself, as Undersecretary of State for Foreign Affairs,
as your sub ordinate sir, I ask of you what is it that you require of me. Should this be required to be of discretion, or of a large nature, I am more than happy to meet you at a place that you so desire. I hope this partnership and co operation proves successful,
May God Bless and Long Live the True Queen,
HSH Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte.

From the DUKE of ALBA to BRIGADIER GENERAL DON JOAQUIN BALDOMERO FERNANDEZ-ESPARTERO Y ALVAREZ DE TORRO ((Private - JudgeMaxime))

Senor,

Having heard of your valiant service to the Crown in South America and lately, in the Basque Country, I am glad to have such an experienced officer among my ranks. Hopefully you could join me in Madrid, where I would visit the Palace and the War Ministry to make necessary deliberations, before once again embarking to my Army and General Captaincy, so we could discuss the aims put before us by Her Catholic Majesty, the Regency and Government.

I believe that, due to your experience in field service, it would be appropriate to entrust you with the command of Brigada de la Patria (First Infantry Brigade) consisting of Regimiento de Infantería Borbón and Regimiento de Infantería Extremadura.

May you lead these regiments that have a history of glory and loyalty to the Spanish Crown well. Stay reassured that dutiful and good service under my command would not be left without commendation.

I remain,
ALBA

(private)

From BRIGADIER GENERAL DON JOAQUIN BALDOMERO FERNANDEZ-ESPARTERO Y ALVAREZ DE TORRO to the DUKE of ALBA

PqDYBgQ.png

Regimental Colors of the First Line Infantry

Excelentísimo Señor,

I ride for Madrid only shortly behind this very letter. You honor me with this command. I can only hope to serve as the vanguard in the Army of Castille's assault against the Carlist traitors.

Faithfully yours,
Espartero

((Apologies for the delay of update. The fighting is taking longer than I thought, with a lot of problems being discovered. I apologize for the wait.))

Reactions:
The Carlist War

The Carlist War began in earnest. Immediately at the start of the war, Generals Alba and de la Casa were assigned by Maria Cristina to lead the liberal army to victory. They proceeded north, and began a method of containment. They were immediately met with stiff resistance from Guerrilla forces. These men were used to attack lines across the Cristino (as the forces of Maria Cristina were called) armies. The Carlist plan was to avoid direct combat, and bleed the armies of the Cristinos to a point where they could engage with their main army. The Cristinos though decided to utilize their cavalry corp to an advantage. Under the command of General Irigoyen, the cavalry was moved into Zaragoza, where they met resistance from guerillas under the command of General Isandro Durante. The cavalry were hard to supply, and the guerrillas only made it worse. The cavalry stayed in Zaragoza though. Eventually though, with the backing of forces led by General Santa Ava, the Carlists attacked the Cavalry Force. 8,000 Cristino reserves were sent to aide the Cavarly. The Cavarly had been pushed back across the river Jalon. There, the reserve forces would begin setting up fortifications, but the Carlists were moving across the river. The Carlists struggle in crossing, but once they made it across, they smashed the Cristino army. The cavalry and reserves were in a complete rout. 10,000 Cristinos would be wounded, captured, or dead, compared to 3,000 Carlists. The first military engagement of the war was a Carlist victory.

4tfypXI.jpg

(First Battle of Zaragoza)

Following the defeat at Zaragoza, the Liberals decided to recuperate, lick their wounds, and press on. Guerilla forces were still harassing them in Soria and in Teurel, though the anti-insurgency policies have slowly begun to chip away at their manpower. General de la Casa’s army though needed to push the enemy back force in Zaragoza out of the area in order to make up the losses sustained at the battle. At this time, General Santa Ava was fortifying Zaragoza to prepare for the inevitable counter-attack he saw coming. When his scouts reported that the Army of Andulacia was moving in to attack Zaragoza, his defenses along the river were well established. Fortunetly for Santa Ava, he had more time to prepare his defenses. He lacked artillery though, for he was never given any, and General Isandro had just left the area with the cannons and headed north. Santa Ava would be stuck with 11,000 infantry and cavalry. General de la Casa began to open fire with his artillery and approached with his light infantry. The defenses on the river stall the light infantry as they try to cross the river. The cannonade would decimate the enemy forces on the other side though. With the devastating cannonade, General Santa Ava would withdraw from Zaragoza almost immediately without proper artillery support. The Fortifications though would prevent massive casualties. Santa Ava had lost 550 men, while de la Casa lost 40 men. It wasnt as devastating as the last battle, but the Liberal victory was much needed to boost morale. Zaragoza also meant that de la Casa could push forward with his plan.

PHDjnoV.jpg

(Second Battle of Zaragoza)

General de la Casa had decided to ramp up his anti-guerrilla operations in the region. He specifically sent units to deal with the Guerrilla plaguing the central provinces. He had disguised guards in supply trains to make destroying them more costly. He had NCOs train armies to deal in counter-insurgency. The hardest hit guerrilla forces were the ones in Teurel. General Herrara was slowly getting chipped away as the methods hit his army hard. General Herrara still moved through the countryside, harassing the enemy lines, and desperately halting supplies. It would be a lot harder for him to continue his operations.

At the same time, General Alba moved into Burgos to act as reinforcement for Colonel Mendoza’s army. He was met though by General Huerta, who started to harass the enemy line. At the same time, Brigadier Mendoza secured Soria, and pushed his way north towards Logrono. He wanted to wait for reinforcements to arrive before moving north. At the same time, General de la Casa detached forces to aide the reserves in Teurel. General Herrara would be ordered to leave Teurel, and using secret ways his basque forces know, made his wide through the countryside, and joined up with General Huerta. By early 1836, the majority of the Carlist forces were in the Basque land. With Teurel secured, the reserve army moved up north with the Army of Andalusia. Supplies though are being stretched. Supplying 51,000 men this far north was not an easy task. However, with the supply lines secured, the Army of Andalusia sent men up north to take the province of Huesca. However they soon met resistance by General Isandro Durante. Upon orders of General de la Casa, the detachment moved to group up with General Alba and Brigadier Mendoza.Deciding not to stretch his supply limits, General de la Casa ordered 5,000 cavalry to dismount, and let the rest behind in Soria. Thus began the long climb into the Basque lands. With Guerrillas hounding their every move, the mountains of the Basque land would make Guerrilla warfare much easier to conduct. This was the Basque home, they knew the terrain, and knew it well. The anti-Guerrilla training would not prove much help as the Guerrilla forces used the terrain to their advantage. The supplies were stretched as it is with the artillery being lugged up the mountain.

Deq6QO4.jpg

(Cristinos moving up the mountains)

General Alba moved his forces up the mountain into Lorango. He carried with him 50 pieces of artillery. These babies dragged the army down by a lot, and the supplies needed for them to be moved was big. However, General Alba took it slow, taking his time to perform anti-Guerilla attacks. The supplies of his army being low, he decided to press on into Lorango. He was met in Lorango by the Guerillas under the command of General Hurrera, who decided to end the charade of harassing the enemy, and instead focus on making a stand in Lorango. The slow march of General Alba meant that Hurrera was able to get to the site first and set up his plan. When General Alba moved his artillery into position, he realized that moving 500 cannons in rugged terrain was very time consuming, and could be easily negated by the mountains. Worse still, General Huerta is still harassing them by utilizing the mountains. Yet, General Alba focused his attack on General Hurrera, and with his superior numbers, pushed the Carlists out of Lorango, but with a heavy cost compared to the Carlists. They soon sat, and began fighting skirmishes against the Guerrilla forces.

At this point, the Guerillas had been waging a side war for three years. They racked up kills and damages on the Cristinos. At this point, General de la Casa decided to send a detachment of 10,000 infantry and 100 cavalry into the mountains of Huesca to flush out General Isandro. Isandro and the detachment fire guns into each other, causing casualties on both sides. They engage in musket fire, and the Carlists charge down hill in a bayonet charge. The Cristino cavalry flanks them, but to no avail. Isandro held Huesca, and both sides suffered roughly a quarter of each army. It was another Carlist victory. With the defeat in Huesca, the Madrid government ordered a full on attack into the heart of the enemy’s land, Bilbao. 65,000 men formed and moved into Lorango.

The Liberals moved up from Lorango and marched toward the small town of Bilbao The Carlists though were not unprepared for this assault. Even though they numbered only 12,000, the Carlists had spent the last three years fortifying the position. They had barricades stretching from the city to the port. It was loosely defended though, with the 12,000 men stretched out over five miles, leaving the line pretty thin. When the liberals came into sight, the Carlists unleash an artillery barrage. The siege of Bilbao had begun. For the next month, the siege of Bilbao would drag on. Attrition on both sides was heavy. For the Cristinos, it was the fact that their supplies were strained in supplying 60,000 troops in the regions of the Basque Hinterlands. The Carlists though were receiving supplies from the sea. Admiral Pedro Nolasca, one of the only noteworthy admirals of the time, had joined with the Carlists in their fight. Conscripting naval vessels and fishing boats from Bilbao, he had managed to secure supplies and was resupplying the forces at Bilbao. The Liberals decided that the time was best to take the port. If they took the port, they would easily defeat the Carlists and possibly allow them to flank. The only problem was trying to cross the Estuary of Bilbao. Guerrilla forces had already blown up most of the bridges though leading across the Estuary. This meant that the liberals had to go out, around, and try to cross in shallower waters. A detachment was sent out of the Liberal army, as they marched south and crossed the Estuary at a lower point. They than marched north. Luckily for them, the Guerrillas were harassing the main force, allowing this detachment to slip through the area without much resistance. However, as the town of Bilbao came into sight on the opposite end of the river, the detachment was hit with Carlist troops. Guerrillas making a last stand? Basque natives perhaps? No, these men were from the army of General Santa Ava. 12,000 men slammed into this detachment suddenly and unexpectedly. The resulting chaos caused the detachment to route, and to try and cross the Estuary again. Santa Ava would proceed to follow the same route this detachment took in an attempt to flank the liberals.

n3AAo8L.jpg

(Santa Ava's Cavalry charging in)

The Liberals though were sly creatures. They had set up a reserve guarding their rear and eastern flank. They joined up with General Huerta’s force and General Hurrera’s force, and charged into the enemy flank near the town of Bilbao. The reserves fought hard, but they were ultimately pushed back. With each mile of ground along the Carlist front secured, more and more Carlists from the defensive force joined up with Santa Ava’s force, and drove the liberals back. It was a blood-bath, a fight that was not seen since the Peninsular Wars. The liberals though held on to their mass numbers, but they couldn't turn away from the Carlist front or else their rear and flank would be exposed. They decided to form a backwards L shape, but as more and more Carlist forces joined Santa Ava’s reinforcements, the L was shortened. Morale begin to sink along the Liberal front, and the Carlist morale began to rise. They continued to push back the liberals until they were at the cost of the Atlantic Ocean, their backs towards the sea. General Alba though would be captured when Carlist cavalry attacked his guard. With his capture, the liberal line collapsed. The once proud liberal army who came to Bilbao to destroy the liberal force, was basically gone. Losses are estimated though to have been high on both fronts. 45% of the liberal army, 22,000 men, would be captured, wounded, or killed, the rest retreating from the Basque Country. The Carlists though were not spared either. They lost over 20% of their army. With the liberal army defeated, the Carlists were left in a bad shape. They had 36,000 men in this battle, now they had only 28,000. This was a large defeat for the liberal forces, one which would have massive consequences for the rest of Spain.

aEEqVWZ.jpg

(General Tomas after the Battle of Bilbao)

When word reached General de la Casa in Zaragoza that Alba’s army was shattered, he immediately mobilized his forces to attack the Basque land. He also wrote to Maria Cristina that the war effort needed more men. Maria Cristina ordered a general conscription and mobilization of all able men in Spain. General de la Casa knew that with this new mobilization, he would crush Carlos’s army with ease. While General de la Casa was regrouping his men, Carlos was also regrouping. The victory at Bilbao and the capture of General Alba would send shockwaves across Northern Spain. The people of Galicia and Old Castile were known to be supportive and sympathetic to the Carlist cause. Galicians, backed on by the words of their Carlist supporting spokesman, Don Artai, would rise up in support of the Carlist movement. The Leonese and the citizens of Old Castile also rose up in revolt. Carlos’s army swelled as what would have been conscripts for the Cristinos joined his rank instead of the Cristino Army. The Cristino’s though were having a hard time getting conscripts to join them. It did not seem like the population wanted to join an army that had lost so much more than the Carlists. Yet, the Cristino’s got conscripts, and began to organize them. With General de la Casa trying to figure out how to handle this situation and the conscripts, he decided to fall back from Zaragoza and pull the reserves out of Lograno. He moved closer to Madrid. Hopefully when his conscripts came, he would be able to get an effective force together. That would never come. General Huerta would organize the Leonese and Galician rebels, General Tomas would recuperate the lost units of his army, and General Isandro would focus on taking the rest of Catalonia. With the retreat of General de la Casa, Aragon and Catalonia were ripe for the taking. As Isandro marched through Catalonia, he gathered more and more Catalonians who were sympathetic to the cause and wanting to fight. Eventually, along with support publically from the Duke of Barcelona (a proud Carlist), Isandro would assault Barcelona and destroy the 8,000 men in the city. Barcelona had fallen.

General de la Casa though had gathered his liberal army together, and proceeded to march north to attack the Leonese capital of Leon before the rebels there could organize themselves. He was successful against the rebels at first, but when the combined Galician-Leonese-Basque army of General Huerta, and the Main Carlist Army of General Tomas arrived, the Cristinos were in trouble. The conscripts were not adequately trained, or were only trained in basic combat. General Tomas’s army was battle hardened. The battle at Leon was another bloody affair. The liberals held their own, for they knew they were the last line between the Carlists and Madrid. The liberals would take out over 20% of the Carlist army, but at a terrible cost. 35% of the liberal army was lost. General de la Casa was forced back to Madrid. With all the fronts secured, and his forces organized, Don Carlos organized his forces and forced them all into Madrid. As his forces crossed the land, the Cristinos started utilizing their own Guerilla tactics to try and stop the Carlists. It was devastating to the Carlists, with thousands on all fronts dying, but it was not enough to stop Carlos. By March of 1839, Carlos had laid siege to Madrid.

General de la Casa tried everything he could. He scrambled for reinforcements, he tried to get more conscripts, but to no avail. One Cristino army tried to break the siege, but was pushed back. For the next three months, Carlos laid siege to Madrid. General de la Casa had no choice. His battered army was outnumbered, surrounded, and exhausted. It was said that when he addressed his soldiers, asking them for peace or glory, they all shouted “PEACE”! On the morning of May 13, 1839, after nearly six years of fighting, General de la Casa walked out of Madrid under the cover of a ceasefire, and was met by Don Carlos himself. Don Carlos looked at General de la Casa, seeing a man who had lost everything burdened. Don Carlos knew the royal family was not in Madrid, but it did not matter. Carlos extended his hand, an offer of peace between him and the liberals. The general of the Cristinos looked at Don Carlos, with exhausted eyes. He proceeded to reach out and shake Don Carlos’s hand. Carlos would enter Madrid a victor. With the victory at Madrid, all liberal authority had collapsed. Liberals began to flee the country. Don Carlos though needed peace in his country. In a royal decree, he stated that “Those who swear their loyalty to me, and renounce my illegitimate niece shall not be looked down upon as enemies, but as friends and fellow Spaniards”.

YTVQAAp.jpg

(The Madrid handshake)

With that, Spain had been transformed. Don Carlos swore that he would have his crown or not at all. Now, King Carlos V of the house of Bourbon-Parma was the undisputed ruler of the Kingdom of Spain. What would become of Spain next? How will this victory shape Spain?
----------------------------------
Player Actions Needed: The Carlists have won the civil war! This means that now, @Riccardo93 is the monarch, with a starting respect level of Medium, and the counter at 5. I would like the Carlists to please take some time and establish a form of government. Once enough time has passed, we shall begin the first quasi-election to determine which clique has the most political power.

To the Carlists, congratulations! To the Cristinos, I am sorry that you lost, but remember that this game is all in good fun. If your fate was not mentioned in the update, you are free to decide their fate.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ciudad Rodrigo, near Salamanca, the Moctezuma Palace

Don Pedro was sitting in his old chair at his desk, as if the war had not happened for the ppast six years. He was glad to find his possessions mostly intact, with his servants having efficiently protecting the old palacio from theft or liberal revenge. Contrary to the Duke of Barcelona or Generals Huerta and Tomas he could not parade with the same prestige although his building of a supply fleet had somehow contributed to the victory in Bilbao. He could not count on that to get too many favours in the new government but he hoped that he could advance himself in the New Armada Real. He decided to write to the King, he would stay in his estates a few more days, and it was better to keep his Majesty aware of the quality of his loyal servants.

( Private @Riccardo93 )

To His Majesty Carlos V, King of Spain,

Your Highness, the righteousness and the legitimacy of your cause has prevailed against the wickedness and sins of the Liberals! From the Pyrenees to Andalusia, from Galicia to Catalonia, everywhere in Spain the people rejoice for your victory and even your former enemies will have no choice but to recognize Your Majesty after your Mercy has been proven in your proclamation of amnesty.

Alas, the Infante Isabella has not yet been found, and she could become a rallying point for the enemies of the Crown if she does not recognize your rule. We should not blame your Niece, who has been terribly tutored by the Regent and her clique since her early days. Maybe you could cement the unity of the Nation by extending a proposal of bethroral between Princess Isabella and your grandson Luis. This glorious and happy hymen would unify once and for all the house of Borbon and the throne.

I also hope that you will continue to trust me in leading the Armada Real, which will now need to be rehauled and purged from Liberal influences.

With my deepest respect and loyalty,

Don Pedro, Conde de Moctezuma de Tultengo y Grandeza de España

Jorge_Tadeo_Lozano.jpg

On the Etxeto Estates.
The letter arrived in much better condition then the last one, which also originated from Madrid. This one lacked the bloodstains and the beer stains, but it's seal was broken and repaired, meaning that whoever controlled the capital, in some form, knew the contents of the missive.

Tomas and Lord Etxeto read it quickly, and sighed upon finishing it.

"Dearest brother, this missive hast near given me a fit of apoplexy. I thought twas a writ of our treason for insurrection, but nay it was simply a missive of victory!"

Tomas sighed, though Lord Etxeto suspected it was more due to his liberal sympathies than a sigh of relief. Lord Etxeto smiled at this with fraternal malice, he had the perfect way to prod his brother.

"Mine kin, I thinketh time we toasted to the health of the new King!"

Tomas' face went white for a brief moment, but then he smiled falsely and nodded.

"To the King! Long live King Carlos V!"

The two men drank to the end of the war and the rise of the King. The family Etxeto, as was their habit, survived the war in better condition than it started.

The siege of Bilbao and the subsequent battle changed Arturo. When he had arrived, Bilbao was a pleasant fishing town. Arthur had been assigned to a small parish for the families of the Spanish speaking sailors who lived in the town. For a time, things were going well. He preached the gospel, gave out communion and even officiated a marriage.

The arrival of the Christinos changed all that. In one day, Arturo went from listening to the confessions of old women to the giving last rites and funerals. For days, Arturo would help drag wounded men out of collapsed buildings in the morning, give them their last rites at noon, and bury them during the evening. While there was not much starvation due to supplies being brought in from the sea, it was never the less a trying time for everyone in the town.

While surviving the siege was a strenuous time for Arturo, the battle afterwards was hell. The number of bodies lay across the field was astronomical. Most were dead and many were dying. Arturo led many a mass burial once the fighting had ceased. By far, the worst activity which he had to partake in was listening to the final confessions of Christino prisoners before their execution. Old men and boys younger than he would cry and plead to him while Arturo tried to calm them with reassurances of God’s mercy and compassion.

As time passed after the battle, word began to trickle in of Carlist victories all across northern Spain. Soon a rider came to Bilbao proclaiming that Carlos had taken Madrid and the war was over. The town was thrown into a state of euphoria. Men and women danced in the streets, church bells were rung in support of the new sovereign, and soldiers of the Carlist armies began to return home. One morning Arturo was awoken to a knock on the door. It was the priest that had run off to aid the Carlists. The man embraced Arturo and thanked him for attending his flock. He announced that he would resume his duties at the church and said Arturo could stay as long as he needed before his return to Madrid.

Arturo’s faith had been greatly shaken by war. Not in his faith of God, but his faith in liberalism. The forces of liberty had been crushed by a man who Arturo had labeled a tyrant and Arturo had no idea where his future lay. Putting his hopes and prayers to God, Arturo began his long march south.

*The Viscount of Barbate is last seen in Spain boarding a ship for the United Kingdom. There are none around to bid him farewell, his only travelling companions the clothes on his back, the uniform he wore at Bilbao, and the flag of the finest army ever to march upon God's green Earth*

CARLOS MARÍA SAN MARTÍN
1844_60_unknown_person_o.jpg

Date of Birth:
November 12th, 1809
Pamphleteer

Biography:
An innkeeper's son, San Martín (of no close relation to the Argentinian leader,) was given the best education that a non-member of the aristocracy could provide to his son - that is to say, not a great deal. It was likely, in fact, that his education would have ended at the age of sixteen were it not for the intervention of a progressive aristocrat - now dead - who saw potential in the young boy's quick wit and alarming talent for rhetoric. His sponsor arranged for Carlos' education at the University of Madrid, where he gained notoriety among the student body for his interest in the constitutional documents of the relatively young South American nations.

This study lent itself to further examination of the Roman Republic and, even in the midst of social stigmas, the French Revolution. His education was cut short, however, when the Carlist War began and he found himself drafted into the Army of Castille. It was with the Army of Castille that he served at Logrono, however, in the midst of the Battle of Bilbao, he deserted and fled into the Basque Mountains. Fearing for his life, he was taken in by a Basque peasant family who cared for him until he received news of the Carlist victory. He was in poor spirits having to bid farewell to those who cared for him as one of their own for three years, although his experience with the Basques left him with a pronounced view on the organization of government.

VRwjLaL.jpg

Tomàs Martell

Date of Birth: June 4th, 1809 (age 30)

Background: Tomàs Martell was born in Barcelona, Spain, in the summer of 1809. His father, Gerard, worked as a brewer, while his mother Catherine was originally from eastern France. Gerard and Catherine had six children together, three of whom died young. Tomàs’ brothers Albert and Eduard were born in 1813 and 1816, respectively, and all three remained very close throughout their childhood and adolescence.

As a boy Tomàs mostly worked in the family tavern, assisted with basic agricultural work, and played with his brothers outdoors in the countryside. While he received no formal education as a child, he was taught to read and speak French by his mother, who had him spelling words by age three. However, until he was ten, the only books that he was exposed to were 'the Gospels and the Four Aymon Brothers', and some local almanacs. In 1820, Tomàs’ mother began trying to get him admitted into the University of Barcelona. The family was far too poor to afford the tuition, but with the help of one of Gerard’s former employers, she managed to gain a bursary which deducted from the cost. During his time at university Tomàs was unable to afford books (or even shoes), which caused him great difficulties and often made him the object of scorn by his wealthier classmates. In spite of this, Tomàs showed a strong will to learn, and spent much time in the school library with a pile of books, exploring a variety of subjects in his free time outside of class. Studying economics and noting the economic inequality that defined his life and the country he lived in, he began to develop highly liberal and so-called radical political views that advocated for a lessening of monarchical power, reduced centralization, and the movement towards more free and fair government. He also took up a part time job of sorts at a printing house in Barcelona, where his job was mainly to proofread translations of ecclesiastical works from Spanish to French or French to Spanish, or sometimes both to Catalan. Tomàs, during the course of his work, spent hours every day reading this Christian literature and began to question many of his long held religious beliefs which eventually led him to largely reject Christianity altogether.

Tomàs graduated with a degree in economics in 1832, but before he could make much use of it the Carlist War began in earnest. All three of the Martell brothers would go on to be conscripted by the garrison of Barcelona during the first two years of the war, and later drafted into the loyalist Army of Andalusia as light infantrymen in 1835 when General de la Casa arrived in the city. Participating in the occupation of Girona and Lerida as well as the Second Battle of Zaragoza, the three brothers marched and fought with an army that was constantly harassed by guerillas and plagued by supply issues and difficult terrain. Tomàs’ youngest brother, Eduard, was killed in one such guerilla attack, while Albert was killed at the Battle of Bilbao by way of a cannon shot to the chest. Tomàs himself was gravely wounded at Bilbao and captured by the Carlists, forced to sit out the rest of the gruelling conflict in captivity with nothing but his grief for company. When the war finally concluded in 1839 with the victory of the absolutists, Tomàs was left angry, embittered, and even more radical in his political views. He began to view the Carlist War as a brutal representation of the fundamental evils of monarchy, attributing its horrific aftermath and countless deaths to nothing more than a petty feud between kings, each one for wealth, power, and ego. He has fully embraced republicanism as an ideology and is determined to bring about a Spain that no longer suffers beneath a monarch.

Upon returning to Barcelona he would establish the Sociedad Republicana along with several other like-minded individuals which opposed the new Carlist monarchy and advocated for the establishment of a secular Spanish republic and the abolition of the monarchy. The group would go on to acquire several illegal printing presses within the city, which they utilized to print pamphlets carrying their message.

Last edited:
Following the conclusion of the civil war and the rise of King Carlos V, Periko Urkijo released a flurry of lesser poems, lacking the zealous creativity inspired by the period of chaos. Very quickly, critics became extremely harsh of his works, degrading them as uninspired, as garbage, and even the drivel of a man well past his fifteen minutes of fame. Ultimately, Urkijo would fade away as a has-been.

However, one last bit of work, the very last that anyone took seriously, was a birthday greeting, written in patronage to the Lord of Lazcano, who paid handsomely for a favorable mention. Unknowingly, Urkijo's last act brought some level of local fame to the previously overlooked Don de Lazcano, something that clearly went to his head...

______

NFzt12n.png

Don Aldo Juan Trumpo de Lazcano

Date of Birth: June 14th, 1802
Background:

Born in Madrid to Federico Trumpo, a wealthy and talented merchant who made his fortune by his own skill, Aldo J. Trumpo was named after his godparent, one of his father's best business partners. Experiencing a remarkably privileged upbringing, quite a feat for a non-aristocrat, Trumpo was able to receive a quality education, even attending the University of Madrid for a few years before he left to emulate his father and serve under him in the family business. There, had became known as a blunt and zealous speaker, holding his views in high regard, willing to verbally bully others in debates, regardless of any actual factual basis behind his beliefs. One of his best known instances was in a debate with a rabble-rouser named San Martin, when Trumpo accused him of being a "scruffy runt choker" in defense of absolutism.

When the Carlist War began, Trumpo naturally leaned toward Carlos, but more importantly, so did his father. During the course of the war, Papa Trumpo loaned and donated a very large sum of money towards the Carlist war effort, while Aldo Trumpo served in a lesser post in administrating a small supply store and helping organize a logistical route. Federico Trumpo would tragically die in the last year of the war, leaving his son his fortune, but again more importantly, the sole benefactor of the favor curried by his Carlist favoritism.

King Carlos V elevated Trumpo to the status of Don over Lazcano - chosen because his Basque mother hailed from there - after the previous dynasty had been either faded into obscurity, died off, or had sided with the liberals and fled. This was a major boon for Trumpo, for his status had (not-fully) caught up with his ego, and with his "small inheritance" - in truth a great sum - gained from his father, Trumpo was well-set to live a content lifestyle, buoyed by the maintenance of his father's business. But of course, Trumpo was not a content man, and he quickly set out for Madrid, engaging with the elite, taking risks to enhance his fortune, but also to try and rise even further, up towards the sun. But would he be burnt like Icarus?

Reactions:
Miguel de Costa sighed. Democracy has been beaten by a reactionary lunatic, at the price of many lives. However, a wise man knew when to concede, and Miguel did. He authored a letter to the First Secretary of Spain, Alejo María Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava.

((Private - Keinwyn))
To the First Secretary of Spain

Lord First Secretary, I must first congratulate you on your victory in the most recent war of restoration, your side fought well, and most admirably. The side of King Carlos is blessed with military geniuses and masterful politicians, this is known. I am writing this to assure you, that I shall not make any move to act against His Majesty, or his government. I am not stupid, and I know when I should concede to defeat. Therefore, I surrender and concede defeat, and I thus renounce my position in the former Queen Isabel's government. I shall be returning to Leòn, as so I can raise my son, Pedro, and help to restore my bloodied home to it's former glory.

Long live Carlos, King of Spain
1231219146362601230216.png

Miguel de Costa

With that taken care of, Miguel departed the capital for Leòn. On his way out of Madrid, Miguel cried. Spain was dying, and only God could save it.

THE STATE OF THE NATION I;

addressed to the

PEOPLE OF BARCELONA

and

THE SURROUNDING PROVINCES

Regarding the following important

NOTICES

I. Of the DAMAGE wrought upon Spain by the CARLIST WAR.

II. Of the DANGER of the ABSOLUTISM and CHRISTIAN ZEALOTRY of the CARLISTS.

III. Of their DESIRE to place the MONARCH above the PEOPLE.

III. Of the NECESSITY for a FREE and JUST REPUBLIC in Spain.

--------------------------

“Spain lies broken and bloodied, torn asunder by the CARLIST WAR. Once again our NATION bleeds for the sake of yet another ROYAL quarrel. The CARLISTS, seeking REPRESSION as their CONSTITUTION and ZEALOTRY as their LAW, must be OPPOSED in all ways at all TIMES. The PEOPLE shall not submit to this SUBVERSION of their RIGHTS and DENIAL of their NATIONAL SOVREIGNTY, nor to the IMPOSITION of RULE by force of arms. A FREE and JUST REPUBLIC is sorely needed to represent the PEOPLE and unite the NATION. As such the CARLISTS are REJECTED by the PEOPLE and DENOUNCED by the SOCIEDAD REPUBLICANA.

--------------------------

Printed in Barcelona

Sold and Distributed by the Sociedad Republicana

MDCCCXXXIX

Last edited:
Reactions:
((Private))
*In a small town near Logronyo, Carlos drops off a hand-written manuscript to a worn-down baker. The baker does not know his identity, but he silently takes the manuscript into the back room to be printed and sent out across Northern Spain. Carlos then hurriedly rushes off, but not before laying a few coins on the counter for the baker's trouble*

((Public))

Pf11PZ4.png

As Public Works Minister, Bakar now sat at his desk marveling at the horrendous mess his colleagues had made.

A major tactic of the carlists during the battle of bilbao and in other campaigns was to destroy the infrastructure. Bridges, roads, administrative offices and the like had all been torched. To add to that, Bakar was suddenly supposed to be in charge of the mail service, but it seemed as if everyone in the previous mail service had joined up with the army when that uniform became more attractive. The task of re-building the office would be seemingly simple in contrast to the task of revitalizing all of the roads and bridges in the country. Whatever, there was money to be made, and the new administrative job was certainly better than rotting away in Álava, and certainly better than having everything destroyed by the Cristinos. Some idiot lackey was asking about renaming such and such post office for the king and Bakar had to acquiesce to his stupid request not that renaming post and there just wasn't enough goddamn time in the day for enjoying the fruits of one's labor. Bakar had also recieved notice that he was supposed to move to Madrid to work in some godforsaken office in the middle of what may as well have been Africa. Before Bakar had been in charge of this rotten administration some fallow named Narciso Fernández de Heredia was in charge of Public Works and he had proposed building a rail system like something he had seen in Britain a few years prior and there was no sense letting spain fall behind. With all of the infrastructure mucked up it seemed like it woule be a very wise investment to get Spain covered in rail, but for now, running a line between Madrid and Barcelona would probably suit the crown just fine.

Ministerio de Fomento
Ministry of Public Works

1. Advise the construction of new roads and bridges as well as administrative facilities necessary for commercial transit in the Kingdom of Spain.
2. Advise for the construction of a Railroad spanning from the city of Madrid to the city of Barcelona. Advise for further rail construction in following years to include Rail lines to Bilbao, Valenica, Cadiz, Sevilla, and Córdoba.
3. Advise the creation of a national rail company to facilitate commercial and civil transportation on the new Railway.
4. Direct the Merchant Marine to resume commercial activity based on the pre-1833 guidelines.

Reactions:
The Emerald of Elche: Part IV

The carriage pulled up at the gates of an estate south of Valencia and Vicente helped Esmeralda step out. The woman nearly dripped on the hem of her dress and had to grab onto the noble to keep her balance. The gown he had given her was restrictive and had far too many layers. She was sweltering under all the fabric and found it difficult to breath with the corset she was wearing squeezing at her torso. How noblewomen could tolerate wearing such clothes was beyond Esmeralda. She much rather preferred her usual more revealing outfit.

Following behind Vicente, Esmeralda tottered her way into the extravagant mansion. Vicente had invited her to attend a ball outside Valencia, something she could not turn down. She needed to meet more nobles and find some potential clients. Of course she was out of her element, something she realized as she entered the building. Everyone was dressed in suit and gowns, dancing to music played by an entire orchestra. Esmeralda was used to using her looks to entrance men, but the puffy gown denied her that prospect. She still had her face, enough to charm most men. She was unsure how to go about charming a nobleman, but she’d have to try, that is if Vicente let her. She was his guest after all and he may feel hurt if she started flirting openly.

The two made their way through the hall, mingling with the other guests. Vicente chatted with a few fellow nobles he knew while Esmeralda remained silent, studying everything around her. She only had to nod along with the conversation and say a few pleasantries. Vicente had warned her to not go too in-depth in conversation with anyone, for it would raise too many questions. It would not be in either of their interests if everyone knew she was a prostitute. No, she had to be discrete about such things in this social circle.

Eventually they met up with the host of the ball, a well-dressed young man who seemed very interested in Esmeralda. A mischievous smile crossed his face as they approached, and the look in his eyes said he wanted to do more than just talk to her.

“Alejandro, it is good to see you,” Vicente said, shaking the man’s hand.

“You as well, my friend,” Alejandro said, although his eyes never left Esmeralda. “Now who might this be?”

“I’m Esm--”

“—Maria,” Vicente said, interrupting her introduction. He squeezed her arm and eyed her from the corner of his eyes. “This is my wife.”

“Esmaria? Quite an unusual name.” Alejandra raised an eyebrow at her before giving a predatory grin at Esmeralda and she could feel Vicente bristling next to her.

Esmeralda plastered on a smile to cover her error and curtsied. “Well my name is Maria, but I prefer to go by Esmeralda.” She glanced over at Vicente, who was trying to hide a scowl. He didn’t like her risking exposure. Vicente had wanted her to pretend to be his wife in every way, for with her uncanny likeness it was quite easy for Esmeralda to go along with it. Maria’s passing was not well-known, so it was easy to play it off that she had never died.

Alejandro, the epitome of suave, gently grasped her hand and kissed it, maintaining eye contact the whole time. “It is my greatest pleasure to make your acquaintance, Esmeralda.”

By now Vicente was barely containing how uncomfortable he was with this whole situation, so Esmeralda decided it was time to pull out. “As am I. Now I must excuse myself. I am in need of some refreshment. Why don’t you two get reacquainted while I go get something to drink.”

Before either man could respond, Esmeralda slipped back into the crowd, leaving Vicente and Alejandro alone to chat. She found the alcohol soon enough, some fancy champagne she could barely pronounce the name of. She pounded back a glass, apparently not the proper procedure for drinking such liquor based on the astonished gasps of the other guests around her. She scrunched up her face as the taste hit her. It was far too sweet for her. She preferred much harder liquors than this.

After eyeing up the guests for potential clients, she decided it was time to make her way back to Vicente. As she turned to leave, her foot caught on the hem of her dress again and she hurtled forward. Her collision with the floor was stopped though as Alejandro stepped out to grab her. With surprising ease, he twirled her up and around, pulling her towards the dance floor and making it seem as though her slip had merely been the start of their dance.

“I must apologize, my lady,” Alejandro said as he guided her across the dance floor, strutting alongside her to the music. Esmeralda did her best to follow in-step, but she was unaccustomed to such dance manoeuvres. The music she listened to was much more brash and so were the dance steps.

“Apologize for what?” Esmeralda asked as Alejandro twirled her around.

“For not asking for your permission to dance. I was so caught up on rescuing such a fair damsel from embarrassment that I neglected my gentlemanly duties.”

Esmeralda wasn’t sure whether to be turned on by such dashing behaviour or to laugh at his pomp. Instead she kept her calm, biting at her lip ever so slightly. “You are forgiven. Now how can I repay such kindness?” The lewd smile she wore suggested what she had in mind for repayment.

Alejandro licked his lips, his expression suddenly growing serious. “Vicente may not remember this, but I met his wife several years ago. Tell me this then: how is it that you, a woman of roughly 30 years, does not look a day over 19? I knew Maria and even though she was indeed beautiful, she never looked quite so young. Who are you really?”

Esmeralda nearly stumbled, but Alejandro caught her and guided her to the edge of the dancefloor. She casually played with her hair as he let go of her. “Can’t a woman just be naturally beautiful?”

“You are indeed gorgeous to look upon, but I also know that the real Maria passed away recently. Are you telling me I am speaking to a dead woman?”

Esmeralda tried her best to hide the turmoil boiling inside her. She’d been caught already, and by the host no less. “Can you keep a secret?”

“I can when such a beautiful woman is involved.”

Esmeralda nearly snorted at that comment, but stopped herself. She need to present this in such a way that Alejandro wouldn’t go blabbing to others or embarrass Vicente. “I am not Maria. Vicente merely stumbled upon me shortly after his wife’s death, and because he was having a difficult time handling her loss, he asked me to help him through this troubling time in his life.”

“So he plays you off as his dead wife and has you escort him to balls? Now that would be quite the scandal if people found out that a dead woman was attending social events.” Alejandro let out a small chuckle, clearing amused by this turn of events rather than threatening to go public with it.

“You won’t tell him you know, will you?” Esmeralda said. “I would hate to see him ill-treated because of me, especially since he has been one of the kindest of my clients.”

Alejandro raised an eyebrow and glanced around to see if anyone was listening in. He then lowered his voice and asked, “Clients? What is exactly is it that you do?”

Time to reel in the catch. Esmeralda ran a finger down Alejandro’s arm, feeling the goosebumps that appeared at her touch. “You could say that I’m an entertainer of sorts, trained to ensure that men have a most pleasurable experience during my performance.”

Alejandro gulped and licked his lips. “And could I witness one of these performances?”

Esmeralda smirked, drawing as close to Alejandro as she dared without garnering unwanted attention. “If you have the coin, you can see it all.”

Judging by Alejandro’s expression, he intended to take her up on that offer. “And where can I go to see this performance of yours?”

“Elche,” Esmeralda said. “Where else would you find the Emerald of Elche?”

The Lord Viver's temples twitched in irritation. Pere - it was not his real name, but, for whatever unfathomable reason, the Marquis insisted on using it - tried to downplay the significance of the pamphlets he was showing his master: 'The north is a bastion of loyalty' 'Republicanism will find no traction...' 'But a few angry Isabellinos stirring trouble...'

His assurances did not appear to assuage the lord's displeasure; for a man who was used to dealing with tangible threats that could be met with fire and steel, this new menace was not something he was familiar with. Pere could see his master's war had only just begun. Only now, it would be fought off the battlefield on unfamiliar terrain.

Eager to divert his masters attention onto subjects that may vex him less, the secretary presented a small pile of letters from former Isabellinos, prominent amongst them the former Economy Secretary. Unfortunately, this too makes the Marquis' temples twitch.
In the habit of writing campaign orders, The Marquis scribbles but a few lines in response.

((Private - Korona))

Miguel de Costa

Your decision is most welcome. Should His Majesty require your services, his servants shall send for you.
I wish your line well and pray God that young Pedro shall be a credit to his king.

0dEtjZP.png

Alejo M. Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava
General the Marquis of Viver
Secretary for the Office of War, First Secretary of State

***​

Alejo dismissed his secretary and took some time to consider his next letter. The King had yet to confirm any of the 'interim' appointments he had made some six years ago - finally on the other side, the number astonished him; could it really be six years since King Ferdinand had died? It seemed but a month ago - he would do his utmost to advise his sovereign regardless, even if a small part of him secretly hoped to be relieved of civilian duties.

((Private - Revan))

Your Majesty,

Your force's victory on the field secured, our thoughts must now turn to the peace, which, increasingly appears a war yet to be won. In particular the issue of those who fought for your niece and now await your majesty's justice. Whilst it saddens me that many may have views that will likely prove irreconcilable with stable government, there are those who have shown great - albeit misplaced - loyalty, and whose disposition is such that they may surely prove loyal and devoted subjects to yourself and your heirs.

In the face of some most disturbing reports of republican sentiments and in the interest of preserving strong support for the monarchy I feel compelled to advocate a reconciliatory stance - provided, of course, that false queens are disavowed and homage given.

I remain your humble and obedient servant,
0dEtjZP.png

Alejo M. Sastre y Díaz de Santa Ava
General the Marquis of Viver
Secretary for the Office of War, First Secretary of State

Last edited:
Alejandro was there when it happened, the great pop and celebration of the liberation, a most ironic term he viewed in retrospect, of the city of Madrid, handing the mother city to the Carlists. Politics now have got interesting he mused most heavily. He had heard the odd sentence about some words of progression, and that made Alejandro's heart happy, to be fair to the now defunct Queen, he had merely supported her as he felt that Spain could truly advance under her stewardship, but if these reforms come about, perhaps King Carlos V could provide a path most agreeable to him, but this meant he had to renounce all legitimacy of the Infanta, and recognise the new King, and thus he did.

To Rey Carlos, Fifth of his name,
By Grace of God, King of Castile,Leon, Aragon, of the Two Sicilies, of Jerusalem, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia, of Córdoba, of Corsica, of Murcia, of Menorica, of Jaén, the Algraves, Algeciras, Gibralter, the Canary Islands, of the East and West Indies, Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgandy, Brabant, Milian and Aspurg, Count of Flanders, Tirol and Bareclona; Lord of Biscay and Molina

I hereby pledge my allegiance to you my King, I recognise you as the sole claimant, and I recognize the legitimacy of all of your offspring as the true Monarchs of Spain. Forgive my transgressions into the darkness, and allow me to be welcomed into the new light that is your realm. Allow me to serve you and your government in any way I can, and I swear I shall commit to this duty with utmost sincercity and focus,
May the Lord shine favourably upon you and your reign,
Yours ever faithfully,
His Serene Highness Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte, Prince to the Holy Roman Empire and Belmonte, Duke of Acerenza, Marquis of Galontone and Castellbate, Count of Copertino, Grandee First Class

(The Private Thoughts of Don Baldomero Espartero, Brig. Gen. in the Army of Isabella II, rightful Queen of Spain)

Maybe the firing squad.

Baldomero paced the dirt floor of the cantonment. A prisoner and not a prisoner, a soldier and not a soldier. Captured along with his superior, the good Duke of Alba. But now that the Pretender squatted on Madrid, no longer a prisoner of war. What then? A soldier who refuses to accept new orders? A mutineer? Would he be court-martialed under the legal fiction of disobeying supreme commander Casa's orders to recognize the Pretender, or would he be tried in civil courts as a traitor? Perhaps they would just let the godless Basque assassins cut his throat in the night and throw his body in the river.

Hanging might be better.

When they had barked at him, demanding him to shout "Long live Carlos Rey!", he had refused. Moreover, he had spit in the sand. He continued to shout for the continuance of the one true Queen's rule and the true Bourbon dynasty of Spain. He would never recognize Mad Carlos, and by now they knew that.

Not even the Pretender would bring back death by burning on a pyre...would he?

Eventually he ceased his manful turmoil and collapsed into a sitting position on the dirt, a heavy sigh in his heart.

What is to become of me?