• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Carlos appears before the men, in full military regalia, looking the proper king. His brown eyes scanned over the rows of men – Zumalacarregui has trained them well, he thought. Only weeks ago this rowdy band, zealous but ill-disciplined, would break formation on a whim. Now, they seemed to be, if not crack troops, capable of throwing back the best Madrid had to throw at them. The Cross of Burgundy flapped in the wind, accompanied by banners adorned with Catholic symbols; the cross, depictions of Saints, the Word hastily painted on. It was a magnificent sight, Carlos had determined; men loyal to him, loyal to Spain, at attention and ready for the coming restoration of order. The sound of drums and fifes beating and trilling out marching tunes for the ranks still forming up in the distance, or advancing elsewhere, as if in a parade, simply completed the wondrous scene. The men were ready for war, despite the lack of material goods.

Yes, every man had a musket, but many (at least until the next shipment from Austria arrived) were from the Peninsular War – ancient weapons, but still reliable enough to fight with. They would serve the army well enough until more foreign support arrived, at the very least. The uniforms were still being sewn at a breakneck pace, but many men wore dyed shirts or crosses upon their person to show their affiliation to Carlos.

Better for them were their munitions, which of late had grown increasingly plentiful, both in part due to the heroic efforts of agents to requisition and develop production of them in the Basque country and elsewhere, as well as from foreign imports (whilst in England and France, Carlos had made a few contacts with some arms manufacturers; and though both Kingdoms seemed intent on denying Carlos arms, inclined as they were towards Isabel, they seemed far lax on ordnance, though it was still a risky business), as well as aid from Prussia, Russia, Austria, and Sicily.

Carlos was pleased, overall, even with the somewhat deficient equipment; that would be mostly rectified in due time, and more important than the gun was the man who wielded it. They surely, with God’s will with them, win this war.

The King mounted his horse, saluted the troops and rode ahead to review another section, the riflemen and sharpshooters who had only some time ago finished organising; their lines were less uniform, the organisation perhaps something to be desired, but their weapons looked, and indeed were, newer, and many of them, Basque hunters or veterans from the Peninsular War of the Invasion of 1823, were crack shots, and would surely be a boon to his cause. Many had donned the green uniforms the British sharpshooters had worn during the war, though as many were simple browns and blacks and greys. They were less numerous, understandably and his review of them ended quickly. He moved on the artillery, which was suitable to him, though he would have preferred newer cannon. Still, it would make due, at least he hoped (the generals had assured him the marksmanship of the artillerymen was improving by leaps and bounds as of late, but still, only a few of them were experienced in that role).

He at last came upon the cavalry, which had received personal command by General de Santa Ava, whom we believed had been a cavalrymen himself in his youth, though perhaps the King was mistaken; he would ask later if the thought struck him again. The cavalry commander himself was absent, having chosen to inspect some new recruits some ways to the east – he would not likely return for several days. Under his guidance the cavalrymen had grown brazen and aggressive – their formations had improved, though the General still expressed his desire for them to improve – and their bravery was pronounced. He merely hoped their passion wouldn’t pave the way for recklessness, or at least heedless recklessness; after all, a brazen charge that was strongly supported was almost always decisive. The King saluted them and rode to a small raised platform, where he had earlier watched the first few regiments march and form ranks; there, he greeted some of the senior officers and commended them for their efforts, before riding back to Bilbao proper to continue his paperwork.

The Conde de León rode on horseback, flanked by two of his staff officers, into the drilling ground. Here, several hundred of his own guerrillos -- priests, laymen, peasants, blacksmiths, merchants, a few nobles, and every other profession and occupation in between -- were assembled. Though every man had a musket and enough powder and ammunition for at least a few battles, the situation of the force was pitiful: the Conde would be lucky to count just a dozen men under his command that had any combat experience. Worse yet, many of these men lacked proper military training, with even quite a few having never fired a musket before. It was with this army that the Conde was to help free Spain from liberalism and to put the rightful King on the throne.

The Conde was a tall man, a little over six feet in height, and he had been a visible rallying point for his men during the war of independence in battle. Though he had been well-built, he was not a youth anymore; but he had retained his usually strong figure. To his men, he gave an aura of strength and of control -- and when in battle, his presence could inspire them at the most critical moment.

He rode his horse to the head of the gathering of men, his staff officers close behind, and brought his steed to a stop. "Men!" he cried out, "valorous men of España, gather around me!" The hundreds of soldiers -- very few in any military uniform at all, with most in their normal daily attire -- gathered around the mounted Conde. When the commotion died down and the men's attention had been sufficiently grabbed, the Conde spoke once more. "The true King himself, Su Majestad Carlos, has placed me in command of you all; I am to be your general. We are to fight the Isabelinos, and we are to conquer them!" The men let up one raucous cheer; when it died down, the Conde continued. "I realize that many of you have never witnessed battle yet. Some of you have never laid hands upon a gun. The few of you that have had the pleasure to experience both will realize that we are simply not in a position to give battle. That is why," the Conde said, "I am going to train you. You will learn how to aim, how to shoot, how to fight, how to follow orders, and how to win. When you have learned how to fight and how to win, God will recognize your hard work, and your dedication, and He will gift you with the glory of victory!" The men cheered once more. "And when you have fought and won countless times over, and you have seen the enemy both run before your guns in fear and kneel before your feet in defeat, then we have done the will of the Lord, and He will reward us with putting on the throne the true and rightful King of all Spain!" The cheer that went up into the air was louder than all before. The Conde took off his hat and waved it in the air, and the horse trotted off back to his command tent.

Stepping off his horse, he was approached by Colonel Viteri, his officer of drill. "Colonel", he said to the young man, "Tomorrow I want you to begin training those that have no training whatsoever. Train them to aim, and to shoot, and to maneuver in and out of formation. I want everyone able to fight before the air begins to cool." The Colonel, not yet thirty years of age, nodded his head. "Yes, general. It shall be done."

Reactions:
5oqUay8.png

A REQUEST TO THE OFFICE OF WAR
((Private))
I would like to begin with congratulations to Secretary de Alvear on his appointment to the leadership of the esteemed Office of War, however, given our current situation, I believe we may both agree that now is not the time for idle pleasantries. With this in mind, I will explain quickly and begin to elaborate on the needs of the Army of Andalusia. While we will certainly require arms, ammunition, and supplies for this upcoming campaign, nothing is more clear to me than the need for new uniforms and the improvements in morale which they will bring. As it stands, I must inform the Office of War, we are still utilizing leftover uniforms from the wars against Bonaparte.

These uniforms are in an exceptionally poor condition, many of them highly worn, threadbare at key joints, and coming unraveled at the seams. While a great amount of patchwork and field repairs have been conducted on the uniforms, there is only so much that can be done. Furthermore, with recent drafts of men to the Spanish Army, there is a significant group of men who are completely without uniforms, and while they have not yet resorted to fighting in the bare, as though they were barbarians, I fear that a distinct lack of professionalism will arise should their sole uniform be their daily clothes.

With this in mind, I urge Her Majesty's Office of War to explore the possibility of supplying new uniforms for those regiments most in need (see attached quartermaster's list,) with a sense of immediacy and haste. We must prove to the common soldier and, someday, to the Spaniard, that we are legitimate, that we are the face of authority, and that we are clean, competent, and professional in our efforts to restore order and civility to this nation.

6PSF46z.png

GENERAL ALEJANDRO DE LA CASA,
Vizconde de Barbate, Comandante del Sur,
Capitán General de Cataluña, Aragón y Valencia

((Private - Firehound15))

To the honorable and noble General Alejandro de la Casa:

Thank you for bringing up the issue of the poor uniforms. I have received your quartermaster's list and assure you that the Office of War is doing all that it can do to provide new uniforms of the best qualities possible to the troops of Her Majesty the Queen. You can rest assured that the Ejercito de Andalucia shall be equipped with the finest uniforms befitting of the soldiers of Spain when they go into battle. Should you have anymore concerns, do not hesitate to send another letter. We must be ready for anything the Carlists throw at us.

Regards,

((signature here))
Carlos Maria Alvear y Ponce de Leon,
Secretary of Her Majesty's Office of War

Miguel de Costa, now one of the most important men in Leòn, was called to give a public speech by the mayor of the city. Miguel, being a man who much prefers the quill, rather than the podium, was forced up to speak by his wife. Apparently a "real servant of the Queen can't smoke tobacco all day". Women, they were great, but they were really pushy.

Miguel stood on an elevated platform outside of the Palacio de los Guzmanes, the center of the Leònese local parliament, a location that would certainly draw a large crowd.

Addressing a small group of loyalists, Miguel began to speak in a quiet voice. "Spaniards, today we find ourselves struck with a plague that knows no bounds. Today, we find ourselves in the midst of a civil war. The Infante Carlos has risen up against the rightful Queen of Spain, Isabel II. He has disregarded laws, struck down reason, in favor of himself. Don Carlos is a man who would rather see Spain bathe in blood and chaos than see laws obeyed, and God respected. He acts only for himself, and would not hesitate to burn down Spain if it meant that he gained more power. He is a selfish man, who urges his supporters to disregard the laws of God, and of Spain, and encourages rape and pillaging."

As Miguel spoke, his voice became ever more confident. He spoke with determination and passion, drawing a larger crowd. He was a man with passion, Miguel began to find himself.

However, while Infante Carlos releases pamphlets, and pretends to work for Spain, not against her, Her Majesty is active in restoring law to Spain. As I am sure some of you know, I have been appointed by the Regent herself, Maria Christina, to serve as the Secretary for Economic Affairs. The Regent has, with Her Majesty's permission, appointed a government to actively work towards the restoration of order in Spain, and as Secretary for Economic Affairs, I have already began to construct reforms that would ease the heavy burden placed upon the people of Spain, and I know for a fact that my colleagues have met in Madrid, with the goal of ending this blight upon our country. Under Her Majesty, Spain will break free of the shackles of war and death that Don Carlos has placed upon her, she shall rise, and be ever victorious! For God! For Spain! For Queen Isabel II!

Long live the Queen! Long live the Queen!"

Miguel stepped down to cheers from the Liberals, and jeers from the Carlists. He only smiled, and made his way to his carriage, where he departed the Palacio de los Guzmanes for his home, and after that, for Madrid.

Last edited:
I find it immensely ironic that the party that actively is burning down churches and bringing ruin to Spain is condemning the man who would stop them of burning Spain to the ground; granted, this is unsurprising, considering how little those pawns of the Jacobins have in terms of wit or self-awareness. Or honesty. Surely it does not need to be said that the Usurper's dogs are little more than pups barking loudly at shadows at the wall. Carlos shall silence this indolent pups are restore Order to Spain. These revolutionaries have set the fires, and only the True King can snuff them out.

Reactions:
A Letter in the Dead of Night

It was an unusually cool night in Seville, a rarity in an Andalusia accustomed to warm winters and even warmer summers, and yet Lorenzo Moya kept the window of his study open nevertheless. He enjoyed the cold. It helped him concentrate, as he would often claim to anyone willing to listen. Tonight a chilly night air kissed his face as he slumped in his leather-backed armchair, shifting lazily through the pile of papers piled on a desk that's surface was completely left to the imagination. Concentration had so far eluded him nonetheless; it had been a long week at the courthouse, and Lorenzo had to suppress a yawn as his hand found a pile of recent letters, picked one at random, and cracked the seal to examine its contents. His eyes, bleary and unfocused from a lack of sleep, skimmed over the parchment before closing in exasperation. He tossed the letter aside angrily; fourteen years in a single profession could temper a man, but nothing could ever weaken his intolerance of scheming lawyers. Unfortunately, Seville was full of them, like a nest of angry vipers who attacked at the slightest provocation.

Lorenzo reached for the next letter without looking, his hand seemingly moving of its own accord. It was only when he was about to crack it open that he noticed the wax seal.

In an instant his eyes snapped open; he straightened in chair, head bent over eagerly to examine what he had unexpectedly found among the trivial, the mundane, and the infuriating.

The seal itself was a thing of beauty – a deep, dark purple, perfectly round and exquisitely placed, seeming to almost shine in the dim light of his lamp. It was immediately recognizable to him as the royal seal of the House of Bourbon … specifically, to the Queen of Spain.

Stifling nervous laughter and a quickening heartbeat, he broke the seal and read the letter as quickly as he could. Then he read it again, and again. At length, he let it fall to his desk and leaned back in his chair, staring up at the ceiling in wonderment and more than a little awe.

Secretary of State for the Interior …” he breathed, marveling at how it sounded when spoken aloud. To think that he, a lawyer in Seville with no experience in politics or government of any kind, might be suddenly elevated to such a position was unthinkable, and yet evidence to the contrary lay right before him. His mind quickly turned to the implications of such an appointment – why him, of all people? What did he have to offer the crown that they could not find elsewhere? While Lorenzo was not in the habit of underestimating himself (he counted himself as one of the finest legal minds in southern Spain, after all), he had never in his wildest dreams expected to receive the kind of recognition he had just been given, nor did he think it particularly warranted in spite of his talents.

He would, of course, accept the post – that was certain. Regardless of his own doubts, he was not so foolish as to pass up such a chance, such a shining opportunity, to advance his station in life and make a name for himself on a national scale.

“Maria!” He called into the adjacent bedroom. “Maria, pack your things! We are going to Madrid.”

Unseen, he could hear his fiancé rustling beneath the covers. He must have woken her.

“Lorenzo, dear, come to bed. You shouldn’t work so late.”

“Maria, pack your things! We’re leaving for Madrid tomorrow.”

“A vacation?”

“No, not a vacation. Permanently.” Lorenzo wet his pen and began to write his response to the letter, taking care to respect the formalities due to the intended recipient.

More rustling, though this time it sounded as if she were going back to sleep. “Don’t be ridiculous, dear.”

Lorenzo grinned, deciding not the press the issue. He would wait till morning to tell her. For now, he had a letter to write.

Your Illustrious Majesty,

I humbly thank you for my appointment to the administration of Her Most Catholic Majesty as the Secretary of State for the Interior, and gratefully accept. My fiancé and I will make preparations to join you in Madrid as soon as possible, where I hope to work diligently alongside the other Sectarians of State in service of both crown and kingdom in this dangerous and uncertain time.

Your most humble and obedient servant,

kdvVrHU.png

Lorenzo Moya
Secretary of State for the Interior

Come to me, the Royalist Volunteers! Come to me, leaving your garrisons and chapters and join the Northern Army, the shield blocking the Realm from the hordes of the guised Republicans, Bonapartists and Separatists. Upon the orders of Her Majesty the Queen-Regent of Spain, I do promise to you: you would be rewarded greatly. The lands and property that would be lawfully confiscated from these criminal noblemen who have dared to move against the Throne would be granted to the faithful and you would receive the rights of the Royal Guard, taking even a more honored position under the Crown.

Come to me and assist to prevent the devolution of our Kingdom into a rump, where Carlos is both Law, God and Pope, a Babylonian Idol alien both to the Christian Tradition and a concept of a Civilized State.

"I like him.", said María, as she adjusted her husband's uniform in their Ciudad Real estate. She referred to, of course, her husband's new commanding officer. As his wife helped him squeeze into the old colors, Baldomero read aloud select passages from the Duke of Alba's manifesto.

"He certainly has a way with words." Baldomero Espartero said, a hint of bitterness in his voice. His own propaganda efforts had been tailored towards the common man and shaped by his own life experiences. He'd been fighting since he was a unpolished student and now he was an unpolished general.

Brigadier General, he reminded himself, unhappily.

Still..."Well," Baldomero began. "It will be nice to serve under a gentleman. Maybe the courtiers in Madrid will stop laughing behind my back every time I'm summoned to give a report, now that I'm working for a Grandee of Spain."

His wife smiled. Wounded pride takes a long time to heal, but she could tell he would come around. Eventually.

January 31st, 1834 (( Im not sure what the date is)

Isandro sat at his desk in his new encampment, finally enjoying the set up of the room after weeks of trying to orientate in the way he liked. He had been stuck doing paper work and sending out patrols during this time, so he figured it wasn't wasted. He had no great desire to start the fighting between the sides, for everyday that past before bullets were fired was another day the usurper would recognize the King's authority, no? That being said he did not waste any time, he had been spending it organizing his regiment and getting the new volunteers trained and ready. His forces numbers had been swelling immensely, with nearly 45 men showing up to join his command each day. A large part helped by his recent promotion to Major General in command of the South Eastern front by the King.

He force had gotten so large he had to sub divide the regiment to make it more manageable again. The problem with this was he didn't really have enough trained officers for this, especially for regimental command, for which he was the only one qualified in the area. It was decided pretty quickly though, that he needed to do it, it was basically impossible to command two or three times the battalions than he was used to. With this he order his most promising Battalion and company officers to meet him, he was going to redistribute their ranks to easy the command burden he suffered. While he was worried diluting his trained officers out of the Regimento de Valencia, he figured it would be worth the risk, 3 moderately effective regiments would be more practical then 1 highly effective and 2 ineffective.. It was at this point he heard a knock on the door, causing him to promptly turn around and call his men in.

"We were summoned General?"

"Yes, yes you were, you three are being promoted to new commands due to the massive increase we have seen in volunteers recently. Oh the three regiments we now have located here each of you will command one. Lieutenant Colonel Alvarado, you are being promoted to the rank of Colonel and are to command the Regimento de Valencia. Major Ferrer, you are to be promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and will be given the command of the Regimento de Teruel. Major Suarez, you are being promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and will be given the command of the Regimento de Castellon de la Plana."

"Sir, what will do for junior officers?"

"Lieutenant Colonel Ferrer, that is up to you, I am giving you each the task to find men to fill the officers positions currently vacant in each of your regiments. You will have a single week to decide on each officer candidate and to have their name and justification on my desk. Now, For you Ferrer and Suarez, you don't have to worry too much about the detail for each candidate, seeing as you both have an entire order of battle to fill out however, I do expect you both to provide reasoning for your choices. Am I understood?"

"Yes General."

"I'm glad to hear that, now go, next week we will start discussing war plans in detail, but this needs to be done first."

Alvarado, Ferrer and Suarez saluted smartly and then proceeded to walk out of Isandro's office. Isandro turned around and started looking at his tactical map of the area he had drawn up. He was in good positions, maybe 25 kilometers away from the nearest major town, 40 kilometers from the nearest city. He also had agents inbedden in all of the villages with in 20 kilometers of his encampment with the expressed purpose of sending warning should any Isabelline forces been seen in the area. Looking at the tactical map, seeing how sparse it was compared to the last major military exercise he was on, this worried him greatly; he knew the role he had to play was important, but he felt so exposed and out gunned. No matter he thought to himself, he had not been bested yet, and this war would not be his first.

Reactions:
There was something decidedly comforting about being on campaign, and whilst Bilbao was far from that, the uniform stamp of marching boots set the rhythm of military life and the city was permeated by drill sergeants barking their commands. Lord Viver was also very happy to begin his day with a staff briefing. The Marquis simply did not do civilian life.

His arrival in Bilbao had been uneventful, for which he gave thanks to God, though he barely had time to wash the dirt from his face when he was summoned to the Royal presence. The sight of his sovereign returned safe to Spanish soil moved him greatly; it was all he could do to prevent a tear trickling down to hide itself in his moustache. Surely, surely now that God had seen the King returned, it was only a matter of time before he reigned in Madrid?

The Marquis had expected a command, his station and experience deserved nothing less, yet he had not conceived that His Majesty might bestow upon him such trust and confidence as to appoint him to the Office of War and Head of Government. In truth, civilian duties made him uncomfortable, however he supposed it was only natural HCM would require a military man to lead his council in such times. The Marquis therefore resolved to do just that; provide discipline and order to government. Lord Viver silently vowed he would see his king enthroned, no matter the cost.

He had been reacquainted with old comrades too, some of whom he hadn’t seen in fifteen years or more. A contemporary from his time with the guards as a youth was now a Lt. Colonel with the Hussars. The Marquis de la Granada, to whose sister he had been betrothed many years passed, prior to her tragic death, was now his chief of staff. A Partisan he knew only as El Despiadado, a man he had last seen flaying a French courier - in part for information, and in part for pleasure - during the last years of the Peninsular War now commanded a company of riflemen. All of them he was pleased to see, all of them were good patriotic men.

Reactions:
EJÉRCITO DE CASTILLE
Fuerzas del Norte

M3m19Xq.png

Battle Flag of the Army of Castille
(1833-)

Commanding Officer

Comandante del Norte, Capitán General de Navarre, Asturias, Galicia y Castille Viejo
- General Fitz-James Stuart y Silva, Duqe de Alba

Other Notable Officers

Engagements

- - -

Brief History
"While the original strategy of the Regency had been to reluctantly call upon the ultra-liberal National Militia in the North, General Silva's appeal to the old defunct Royalist Volunteers continued the ongoing process of nationalism being invoked increasingly by the Isabeline government. Even Progressive commanders like Gen. Espartero took part, motivated by the threat regionalism posed to the Spanish unity prized by constitutional liberals. In this way the Army of Castille took shape, harnessing previously untapped forces of Spanish patriotic sentiment and national identity, not unlike what Joan of Arc achieved for France in the Hundred Years War."

- Sofia Castro, The Spanish Moderates: The Heroic Years, 2004

A Su Majestad Carlos, Rey de España:

I have deemed it prudent to relay to you a report of progress regarding the organization, training, and preparation of my command.

It pleases me greatly to tell you that my men are all armed well -- things considered -- and have sufficient powder and ammunition to campaign for a reasonable period. Further powder and ammunition can of course be supplied by our current industries, as well as through the seizure of enemy armories and barracks. We need not worry about this.

Though most of these men came to us as the greenest they could possibly be, I am proud to say that I have whipped them successfully into one cohesive fighting force, prepared to give battle to the enemy. I wake the men up early in the morning and they drill; and once they are done, they are to drill some more; and upon completion of that task, they are to eat; and after filling their stomachs they drill, drill, drill once more, until their feet hurt and their hands blister. Then they sleep. They may have groaned and grumbled through the process but they are the better for it, and they are well aware. My men are very eager indeed to meet the esclavos of your enemy on the field of battle, and I am confident in their ability to succeed.

I once more wish to express my absolute thanks for your graciousness in having given me this command, and I remain, everlasting, your most humble and grateful servant:

Emilio Agustín Huerta, el Segundo Conde de León

General de división; comandante de los guerrillos

Reactions:
A VE, el Conde de León,

That your forces are well provisioned and otherwise well maintained is excellent and a solid mark on your logistical abilities; and I trust further in your talents as a commander and a tactician to lead even those most inexperienced of volunteers to victory for our Cause, a faith which your reports, and those of your junior officers, all reinforce. When the time comes, and the forces of the Revolutionaries are upon us, your men shall do their duty, and they shall perform dutifully and with all the training and valour you have instilled in them at their disposal.

I believe it wise, however, to further note that should your forces want for anything that writing General de Santa Ava would be not only prudent, but wise and recommended by Your Majesty. We cannot afford our troops to be without munitions or other vital equipment. I trust that you have already taken the necessary precautions and steps for further liberation of Revolutionary munitions, as well as made solid contact with our growing Ordnance department.

Your Majesty commends your efforts and offers his thoughts and prayers to you and your men.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

((Secret - Carlism?))

Isandro looked around at his troops while they were doing drills. He noted his former Regiment was doing stellar in comparison to the others. He laughed ruefully at this. Yet while inspecting his troops something occurred to him. He was going to be acting as a mostly reconnaissances and light engagement force, so training a bunch of conventional line units would be fool hardy. The odds of finding a battle where the Isabelline side was equal to or lesser in number to his own forces was unlikely, conversely the odds of being outnumbered were extremely high. This gave Isandro some pause for thought, what was the best way to approach this then?

Isandro while pondering this walked back to his office and looked at his topography map and his company blocks. He started moving some around and arranging different lines of battle and scenarios with his army versus others he could see fighting. None of them looked good for this current army formation. Yet just before he gave up, he glanced down and noticed his light infantry pieces that he had not been using. He immediately had flashbacks to the Peruvian mountains and realized what he could do. He knocked away 2 regiments worth of line blocks and replaced them with his light dragoon and light infantry blocks. Rapidly set up scenarios and going through them using the logical outcomes he realized that this new order of battle would be much more powerful and that defeat was his choice.

He sat there thinking with his new army set up, his mind was racing. All of the possibilities the formation gave him, he could envelop with his dragoons, he could harass with his light foot and when the tide turned send in the reserve Valencians and win the day! Isandro realized how his delaying and reconnaissances action could quickly shift into a real devastating advantage, slowing down and bleeding the Isabellines white. Yes, he would make sure their blood would fertilize the ground.

Formation Orders
December 5th

Major Ferrer the formations under your command will transition from a line regiment into a light infantry regiment. Any and all equipment you need for the transition will be provided on request. It is to be expect that all units should be proficient at light infantry operations by February 5th.

Major General Isandro Durante

Formation Orders
December 5th

Major Suarez the formations under your command will transition from a line regiment into a light dragoon regiment. Any and all equipment you need for the transition will be provided on request. It is to be expect that all units should be proficient at light dragoon operations by February 5th.

Major General Isandro Durante

Isandro walked over to his chair and sat down. He glanced at his tactical table. He was more then ready for the coming war, and he would make his adversary yield to him, or he would die trying.

Reactions:
Al Rey Carlos V,

My King, I hope this letter finds you in happiness and eagerness, for the day of our glory is near.

I have been working for the cause on the outskirts of the Basque Country, and have reached Santander two days ago. There in the Palacio de Gobierno, while I addressed the crowds, there was an uproar upon my mentioning of the status of the fueros, and apparently the Asturian population has been in a quite interesting position so far: they are less mobilized than most of the country, and certainly less than the populations of the Basque Country, Aragon, Valencia and Galicia (praised be the efforts of my father and brother in warning of the Isabelline treason), as well as the Castillian rebels. The Asturians share with us an interest in maintaining the status quo in the partition of power within the Empire, and their Christian fervor is very of note, for they still cling to the pride and joy of being one of the only parts of Spain to have never fallen under the Moorish chains.

The Asturians are our natural brothers in the cause, Su Alteza Real. It is unfortunate that they had not been awakened to it for this long. The overwhelming support I received, together with the desires for a good result to the conflict, show an interesting possibility. I ask for the permission of Su Alteza Real to begin recruiting volunteers and militia around the towns where I travel to, confident that, as the people become aware of our cause and why do we fight, they will want to help. It will be nothing like a professional army, but we will need volunteers out of the frontlines as well, to guard our supplies, garrison posts and keep the peace. For that, these polite, pious and hard-working men will perfectly be up to the task.

I await your answer, and remain, as always, your faithful servant,

Don Artai Amaro de Soutomaior y Andrade

Reactions:
((Private - Revan))

To his Majesty Rey Carlos V de España

It is always a pleasure to write to you, my king, because you are shining with the holy light given to you by God himself. We have however no time to lose as the battles against the ungodly forces of María Christina will soon unfold and they will be slaughtered and send away as God once did with Satan. We will prevail no matter what, since if one is allying oneself with the Devil corrupt their mind and soul and makes them destroy all that is holy. May this be churches as well as monasteries. We simply can't allow this to happen. The liberals want to see the work of Rey Ferdinand and Reina Isabella de Castille, León y Aragon undone. This time however, it will not be the moslems, but the satanist will overtake Spain with their own unholy and rotten inquisition that will kill all life and replace it with their own filth.

I will however, invite you too the camps of my army so they can show their zeal for the one true king of España. They want a last look at their protector before they take to the field of battle and fight the devilspawn and they want to recieve your holy blessing. It would be most joyous if you would humble us with your prescence. We will win, God Wills It!

Hail you Carlos V, Rey de España!

Sincerely
Tomás de Zumalacárregui e Imaz

Reactions:
Arturo was about to write another letter in defence of the Moderates when he was called into the office of the Vicar-General. Ever since he had written his first letter, many of his fellow Jesuit brothers had avoided him, giving him only hostile glances. A few came to him to express their admiration, but these remained private in nature. The situation had been getting more and more tense since open conflict had started. Many bishops had declared themselves for the Don’s cause and in Madrid, increasingly hostile anticlerical rhetoric was being spouted in the more radical parts of the city.

Once Arturo entered the office, the Vicar-General responded gruffly,

“I have just received a letter from the Archbishop of Burgos. Apparently some of his priests have run off to support the king, and he needs replacements for them to perform their pastoral duties. I’m sending you up there to help administer to the faithful until the situation can be properly remedied.”

“Where am I being sent Señor” asked Arturo.

“Bilbao”

“Bilbao!?! Isn’t that area under the complete control of Don Carlos?”

The Vicar-General chuckled. “Is that a problem? The Carlists like priests.”

Last edited:
THE ALBA CHRONICLES (VI) - ((Private))
Don Miguel Fitz-James Stuart y Silva was sitting in one of the twenty living rooms of his Madrid palace and looking through the lists of the candidates for command that have been sent over to him by the War Office. He was sipping hot chocolate from an antique vintage porcelain mug. The drink, rather rough-tasting and without sugar or milk, was prepared by the majordomo ten minutes ago, from the beans that have been brought from South America, from one of the remaining family plantations. – Disgusting… - said the Duke of Alba. As he helped himself to the beverage, the descendant of English Kings grunted, crossed certain names out of the lists and made little notes near the others. – Is the quality as shitty at your encomienda, Francisco?
The man he addressed, his aide-de-campe, Major Montcada, was occupying a plush chair not far away and sometimes helping his commander with his expertise or knowledge. He grinned and shrugged. – The colonies being in such a bad shape, it is hard for find decent workforce or improve the technologies.

The Captain General did not answer, just took another gulp from the cup and continued to work. Then he pushed the papers away and put the quill into the inkwell and slowly filled his pipe with aromatic tobacco, before lighting it. After that the nobleman looked at his uniformed assistant. – I am finished with my list, now you read yours aloud. Major Montcada cleared his throat and then looked at the long enumeration of names and ranks. Then started to read. – Brigadier General Juan Bastinda. The Duke waved his hand dismissively, contempt on his handsome face. – Weak-hearted and fickle. Was an obedient little boy under Joseph Bonaparte and in 1823 gave the keys to his fortress to radicals, while having enough artillery to blow them away. The aide-de-campe nodded in an understanding way, written something on the paper, and then continued in a monotonous voice. – Coronel Esteban de Ubeda. The General drummed his fingers on the table, thinking for a moment. Then wiped his lips with a napkin – the cocao was quite a sticky essence. – A fine staff officer, was a professor at a military academy etc. Did quite well during an inspection in 1829, related to corruption in the intendantcies. The son of the fencemaster nodded and moved to the next candidate.

- Brigadier General Baldomero Fernandez-Espartero… A glint of interest appeared in the eyes of the Duke of Alba as he heard this name. He stood up and, while still smoking his pipe, crossed the room and stopped near a big tapestry sewn out of silk and golden thread. It portrayed the ancestor and role-model of Don Miguel, Fernando the Iron Duke, depicting him in a cuirass and feathered helmet, celebrating his triumph at Alcantara. – I met him a few times. He is an experienced field commander, right? Did quite a lot of service in the colonies… There was a nostalgic intonation when Alba uttered this phrase. It was his dream to fight in the Americas, defending the imperial legacy of Spain. But internal problems of the Realm and the necessity to soldier on the home front somehow always held him back. Say, he was one of the volunteers who were going to travel with Rafael del Riego to New Granada – but the mutiny of the same Riego put an end to that. – Indeed. He is rumored to be of extreme views, though. – warned Major Montcada, while as well standing up. The Duke did not demand it – but military discipline did, a junior should not sit in presence of his superior, especially of such a high rank. – Hm. Well, we are all «Liberals» to a certain extent these days… And he seems to have proved his loyalty to Her Catholic Majesty… - as Don Miguel said that, his aide-de-campe inclined his head in agreement. – Aye, and since he married a daughter to Don Ezequiel Martínez de Sicilia and became quite a wealthy man through it, he must have come to undersanding of necessity of an organized society, defense of property, et cetera. The Captain General made a unclear gesture with his hand and puffed away the smoke. – My father had dealings with Don Ezequiel and Donna Maria is a truly charming woman, I have met her at one of the balls… But continue. Montcada returned to the document. – Tenente Coronel Don Fadrigo Fajardo de Mendoza, Baron of Polop, Grandee of Spain… Don Miguel raised his brow in mild interest. This name was known to anybody acquainted with the heraldry and genealogy of the Spanish aristocracy. An old and very distinguished feudal barony was a remnant of the times of the Trastamara dynasty and the ancient Kingdom of Valencia, having a special status within the peerage of the new Realm. – Good he is with us. Many of the titled f…..s supported Carlos and we do need the grand families of the Kingdom to contribute to the victory of Isabella – for the sake of their historical future. The Captain General carelessly chucked the pipe aside and walked towards the door. He was in his ceremonial uniform, with the crosses and stars of military orders and wearing a sword. – Anyhow, I will finish with the list in the evening. I have an audience with the Queen Regent. If you please…

320px-Blason_Fitz-James,_Ducs_d'Albe_de_Tormes.svg.png

From the DUKE of ALBA to BRIGADIER GENERAL DON JOAQUIN BALDOMERO FERNANDEZ-ESPARTERO Y ALVAREZ DE TORRO ((Private - JudgeMaxime))

Senor,

Having heard of your valiant service to the Crown in South America and lately, in the Basque Country, I am glad to have such an experienced officer among my ranks. Hopefully you could join me in Madrid, where I would visit the Palace and the War Ministry to make necessary deliberations, before once again embarking to my Army and General Captaincy, so we could discuss the aims put before us by Her Catholic Majesty, the Regency and Government.

I believe that, due to your experience in field service, it would be appropriate to entrust you with the command of Brigada de la Patria (First Infantry Brigade) consisting of Regimiento de Infantería Borbón and Regimiento de Infantería Extremadura.

May you lead these regiments that have a history of glory and loyalty to the Spanish Crown well. Stay reassured that dutiful and good service under my command would not be left without commendation.

I remain,
ALBA

FROM the DUKE OF ALBA to LIEUTENANT COLONEL DON RODRIGO FAJARDO DE MENDOZA, BARON OF POLOP, GRANDEE OF SPAIN ((Private - mrlifeless)

Don Rodrigo,

It pleases me that a scion of the ancient House of Mendoza, which hereditary barony is dating from fifteenth century, is now serving under the banners of the Christinos within my army. At this day of national grief the nobility should demonstrate by example that is worthy of its titles and illustrious ancestors.

As the Captain General and commander-in-chief of the Northern Army I would promote you to the brevet rank of Coronel and assign as commander of Regimiento de Caballería El Rey, the oldest cavalry regiment within the Spanish Army. I believe that you would carry its banner with dignity.

I ensure you that valiant service under the Royal banner in the coming months would create many an opportunity for advancement of loyal and talented officers.

With respect,
ALBA

FROM the DUKE OF ALBA to the MARQUES DE PALAU LAS ISLAS ENCANTADAS, COMTE DE NAMUR ((Private - TJDS))

Esteemed Don Erasmo,

First of all, I do want to congratulate Your Excellency on the appointment as the First Secretary of the Spanish Kingdom. I believe that a Moderate Patriotic Government, adhering to the principles of Christian and civilized governance, is what the Realm needs at such a moment.

I would also express the opinion that you have been granted not only a high honor, but a heavy burden, for administrating a Kingdom experiencing civil disorders of such scale is always a difficult task. Sadly enough, Carlism has not only military impact upon our Realm (with which we, generals, are to deal with), but also political and cultural which are all interwoven between themselves. As you know, propaganda is a major weapon of the supporters of the Usurper – and one of its aspects touches one of the most delicate and important matters, religious faith. You probably have noticed that nearly each and every propaganda material of the Carlists contains outrageous accusations that the supporters of Her Catholic Majesty are something alike to the disciples of the Antichrist, that they kill priests, desecrate Churches and commit other despicable actions that, of course, cannot be tolerated by any Christian.

While we do know that it is very far from reality, the peasants tend to listen attentively to rumors and sometimes believe even in something that a more educated person can but dismiss as fairy tales. Sadly enough, the unwise actions of the Ministry of Francisco de Paula de Cea Bermúdez gave certain grounds to such mudslinging and damaged our relationships with many princes of the Church. It is necessary for us to liquidate such damage. I can only applaud your communique to the Holy Father as an important first step in that direction. Perhaps it would have been of worth to issue a similar internal memorandum, reaffirming the will of the Government to protect the sacred places, the faith and the servants of God?
I also want to mention another matter. I have been informed that the Empires of Russia and of Austria have chosen to provide the rebels with weapons and money. I am a soldier, while Your Excellency is an experienced diplomat. Therefore, I would like to enquire – is there a possibility that we can persuade our allies, France and England, to influence the cabinets in Vienna and St. Petersburg so that they abandon such destructive actions that infringe upon the Spanish sovereignity and endanger the stability of the relationships between different European states?

Respectfully yours,
Miguel Garcia Fitz-James Stuart y Silva,
Duke of Alba,
Commander-in-Chief of the Northern Army and HMs Captain-General of Navarre, Asturias, Galicia, and Castille Viejo

A TRANSCRIPT OF THE SPEECH OF THE DUKE OF ALBA DURING AN AUDIENCE WITH HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN REGENT ((Private - Maxwell))

Your Majesty!

Your faith in me that has resulted in decision to entrust me to lead the army of our gracious Queen against the enemies of the Throne and public order is a best reward. I would do my utmost to stop the insurrection and restore law and order within the territories under my administration.

As it is my principle never to lie to my Monarch, I must say that this campaign may not be easy. We all know that one of the regions that has been known to affiliate with the rebels, has for a while been a nest to groups which are ready to put any uniform, whether it is foreign or domestic, if it would help them to gain independence from the central authority in Madrid. Remembering the privileges that have been granted to them to the past Monarchs, they believe that are higher and better than other subjects of Her Catholic Majesty, Queen Isabella. Such attitudes aide the Usurper.

However, I am sure that we would achieve the victory over the supporters of Infante Carlos. The armies created at your behest consist of men that put have put law, Divine and secular, above the promises of Carlos and would fight for the true Queen of Spain. For this reason, I believe, it is important to keep them in high morale. Very soon they would embark to war – and it would be good if they have seen their Sovereign and Her trust in them, before they die for Her.

While, as a caballiero, I do find it quite hard for myself to suggest that a dame of such a distinguished birth and position should breath the air of barracks and camps, I humbly advise the following. Maybe Your Majesty would find it appropriate to travel to the armies accompanied by your august Daughter and say a few words on Her behalf to the soldiers, ensuring them of the trust of the Monarchy in their abilities and the fact that their service would not be forgotten? If such a measure is currently impossible, a written manifesto coming from the Crown to the armies would be of value…

Last edited:
A VE, Sr de Soutomaior

I believe that the matter of the fueros is on worthy of consideration, and one which I am well aware many of my supporters are deeply concerned about. I can make no assurances at the moment, for hasty decisions in wartime rarely result in a way beneficial to the Crown and the Fatherland, or the people most affected, but I will declare my sympathy towards their concerns, and shall conduct a review of the fueros to determine which amongst them are highly desirable and shall work for the betterment of Spain.

I grant you your permission to recruit amongst my subjects in the Asturian provinces, and wish to extend my thanks and my best wishes in that endeavour; they shall surely be a boon to our cause.

Should you have any lingering concerns, write to myself or the First Secretary, General de Santa Ava, and he and I shall work tirelessly to alleviate them.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

-

A VE, General de Zumalacárregui

Your zeal and devotion to the cause is noted, and most welcome, and having visited your encampments some weeks ago, surely why the troops have become the amongst finest in Europe; their iron discipline and unwavering resolve, under your steady hand, shall surely lead us to victory.

I am most amenable to visiting your camps again, impressed as I was by their manoeuvres and order previously; with all due haste, I shall make my way there in some three days’ time, to allow you and your commanders to better prepare yourself.

I remain,
Carlos V, Rey de España

((Can we take players' noble titles if they are on the losing side, like can Carlists take Madrid supporters' titles if they win and vice versa?))

To the Queen Regent,

I am most concerned by your lack of response, is everything ok in the capital? I have been travelling so perhaps your letter is misplaced somewhere, but still, I am most anxious to hear from you. I am sure a word from you will boost the morale of the troops most immensely, should you require me to pass on any words of course. Please send word soon, as our dutiful Queen regent, for I fear that the loyality and the intergraty of your forces may begin to waver,
yours truly, and God Speed,

HSH Alejandro de Soneta di Belmonte