• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(51002)

Contra-Vice-Double Colonel
Nov 25, 2005
Well, here's a new AAR by me, one with more of a plot but also some gameplay. The goal is to basically conquer as much as possible as Guatemala, and build her up into a global power. With claims on El Salvador I can almost double my IC but manpower will be limiting - 25 a year. Let's see how it goes, shall we?

Un Mundo Pacífico Duerme...

guatemala9bi.gif

Prologue

August the 17th, 1935 - Guatemalan Jungle

Clad only in shorts and a light shirt the man ran through the jungle, tracking his prey. Leaves and branches slapped him in the face as he ran, sweat glistening on tatooed and muscle-bound arms. As he neared his fleeing prey he took a rifle from his back - a Mauser '12, antiquated but well cared-for. He rose the weapon, slid a single bullet into it, and fired with unerring aim. Ninety yards away a white-tailed deer collapsed into the undergrowth with a scarlet stain spreading on its light fur.

guatemala2oo.jpg

The Guatemalan Jungle

With a satisfied smirk the man - his skin tanned from years in the sun - started toward his prize, slinging the rifle over his shoulder again. A click from the trees to his right had him swing it up to his shoulder again, and then a click from the left had him spin round to face the barrel of a 1903 Winchester; not as powerful as his own weapon, but at a range of three inches it would make no difference. He raised his arms and felt his rifle tugged out of his right hand.

The man holding the Winchester to his forehead took out a thick and foul-smelling cigar and lit it, then eased it into the left corner of his mouth.

"Well, well, well," he said, "The Presidente was correct we would find you here it seems, Señor Hernandez. Fortunate for us, and also maybe for you I think..."

The man - Carlos Hernandez, former colonel in the Mexican army, nodded. "Si, I am Hernandez," he confirmed, "What can I help you... gentlemen with on this fine day?" he grinned expansively and kept his hands in plain view as several more armed men appeared from the jungle and took up positions on the track, weapons held casually but ready to snap up at a moments notice.

The man with the Winchester lowered it and returned the grin. "I am Sergeant Acapocos, Guatemalan Ejército. El Presidente sent me here to recruit you, Colonel Hernandez."

Hernandez reached into his pocket slowly and pulled out a cigar of his own, lit it, and puffed out a small cloud of smoke. "Recruit?"

Acapocos nodded curtly. "Si. This is your chance to make a mark in the mundo, Colonel. You may have lost the War in Mexico but El Presidente has wanted to meet you for a very long time. He read your book."

Hernandez made up his mind at that comment. "Did he? I would like very much to meet someone who has read my book and survived very much," he took out the cigar and shifted it to the other side of his mouth, "Lead the way."

Acapocos turned back the way he came - away from the jungle and toward Guatemala City.

Next - Meeting the Presidente

Last edited:
Ahhh an El Presidente, is there a more loaded term for a government ruler? Frankly only Generalissimo gets close.

As you have chosen El Presidente, I expect, nay demand, cigar smoking, panama hats, elaborate courtesy to ladies, rebels (to be shot regularly) and immaculate tailoring at all times. Those are the rules. :D

Guatemala eye, no matter if you go north or south you will have USA on the other side of the border after a while.

Interesting start, I would like to see more :cool:

If you plan to take over Central America, you're going to have to compete with Frutas Unidas.

Oh, you're Guatemala. They'll be running your government anyway, then, right? :D

This looks fun; keep it coming!

El Pip said:
Ahhh an El Presidente, is there a more loaded term for a government ruler? Frankly only Generalissimo gets close.

As you have chosen El Presidente, I expect, nay demand, cigar smoking, panama hats, elaborate courtesy to ladies, rebels (to be shot regularly) and immaculate tailoring at all times. Those are the rules. :D
I've just had an overdose of stereotypes... :rofl:

Thank you for the support, everyone. I hope you will enjoy hearing about Guatemala's exploits.

Chapter One: El Coronel Mejicano y el Presidente Guatemalteco

guatemala9bi.gif

August the 18th, 1935 - Guatemalan Casa del Presidente

After a long trek, Carlos arrived at the Presidente's palace, an opulent mansion in the middle of Guatemala City. He was shown into a huge drawing room, filled with the garish, gilted knick-knacks of a dozen dead presidentes.

drawingroomchapultepec6fz.jpg

The soldiers left through another door, Acapocos grinning and nodding at Hernandez in encouragement. Then they were gone, and he was alone in the room. Carlos looked around and saw a bookshelf, and walked over to it. Lying on a table next to the bookshelf, in a handmade binding with smudgy words making up the title was his book. The book he had written as he fled the winners of the Mexican Civil War, in the moments when he had the time, inclination and a stable surface to do so. El Soldado en Combate - O, Por qué un Ejército más Pequeño puede Golpear un Ejército más Grande.

"Ah, I see you have found my reading material!" came a cry from the doorway. Carlos looked up to see Jorge Ubico Casteneda, Presidente of Guatemala striding up to him in an immaculately tailored suit. The Presidente thrust out a hand and the Colonel shook it.

"You read my book, Presidente Castaneda," he stated. The Presidente showed him to a seat and took one of his own, and produced a large cigar. Hernandez did the same.

"Si, it was an excellent read," the Presidente replied, "'How a smaller army may beat a larger army'. Genius, and it works better if one applies it to countries."

"I'm glad you li-" Carlos began, and then took out his cigar in disbelief. "Countries?"

"Si," replied Castaneda, "This country, to be specific. Colonel, you seem shocked. Did you seriously think your ideas would remain theory?"

Hernandez shook his head. "I did not know, Presidente. And I am not colonel. Not anymore." He stared at the glowing end of his cigar. The Presidente laughed.

"Ah, you are correct! Colonel is such a small title for a man of your genius," he tapped the end of his cigar and glowing embers fell to the floor at his fit. He stamped on them to put them out. "Would perhaps Consejero Militar para el presidente suit you better?"

Hernandez looked at him in disbelief. "Military advisor for the Presidente? Meaning what, exactly?"

Castaneda leant back and smiled devilishly. "Meaning, you instruct our generals in the art of war, and together... we conquer. Don't think you have a choice in the matter, Consejero."

Hernandez nodded grimly and raised the cigar to his lips once more.

"I don't need one," he said.

Next - Training an Army of Conquest

Understand that this is a complete fantasy - we'll call it alternate history, one where Jorge Castaneda is much more ambitious. The character of Hernandez, one of the losers in the Mexican Civil War, is also a complete fiction.

Last edited:
This looks like it could be very fun. El Presidente indeed!

Alexus said:
Thank you for the support, everyone. I hope you will enjoy hearing about Guatemala's exploits.

I seriously hope this pun was intended! :rofl: :D :rofl:

Ay! There'll be no exploits here!

Well... I did trigger a military parade and write a few events... but still! I object to your tone! :p

a bold nothern strike against Mexico should do the trick. It will avenge Hernandez's loss and give Guatemala's legitmacy. On Second thought, one should probably take the rest of Central America before attacking Mexico :D

Chapter Two: El Consejero Encuentra Su Escuadrilla

guatemala9bi.gif

September the 6th, 1935

Hernandez straightened his new uniform and looked into the mirror, ran a hand over his now smooth chin. Thirty four years old, and leading the military endeavour of an entire nation. It was... what? Fortune or madness?

denisov37kn.jpg

He flung open the pine doors of his state room in the Casa and strode down the luxuriously carpeted halls. He was joined by a man in Major's uniform.

"Acapocos," he said in greeting, "I see you got the new uniform."

Acapocos nodded and walked more briskly as Hernandez picked up the pace. "Yes sir. But I was wondering why you would give me such a posting, Consejero?"

Hernandez smiled. "You can hold a rifle steady with one hand while smoking a... was that a cuban? I need a man like you on my team, not least for those cubans." Acapocos took off his large hat and removed two of the fat brown tubes from inside it. He handed one to the Consejero, who lit up gratefully. They turned one more corner and walked out of open doors into blazing sunshine, to see the troops Hernandez had hand-picked for personal training.

"What a sorry bunch of Perdedores, idiotas y maníacos," he muttered. They were lined up neatly now but he could see they were uncomfortable with that. "Untrained perdedores," he repeated.

As he drew nearer he decided he had better put them at their ease. "Listen up you sons of mothers!" he barked, belying his years as a Sergeant, "Gather round so I can see your ugly caras!" they complied, and the look in their eyes told him these were definitely men he wanted with him and not against him.

mexicanrevolutionari2hd.jpg

"Okay men," he started, tapping ash from the end of his cigar, "I have hand picked you nine men to accompany me on this mission and later, the conquests Guatemala will be making. Yes, I know you did not expect to hear that," their faces were shocked, and then this expression changed to pride.

"I have been appointed by El Presidente to lead this great nation's armies. And I have decided I will not be sitting in a tent ten miles from the action. I will lead from the front, with my own squad. And that is you. Now, follow me to the briefing room-"

"Briefing room?" one of the soldiers asked incredulously.

"The old theatre. Now move it!" Hernandez yelled. "I can't say you've impressed me so far, but we'll see what happens when I get to know you all. The situation can only improve." He smirked and took another puff of his cigar.

Next - The Mission

You may have noticed that every update a cigar appears from some unlikely area. I'm hoping to keep that up ;)

Clealy Cuba will have to fall to ease the import of such important war materials!

Chapter Three: Sesión informativa de Misión

guatemala9bi.gif

All right, listen up. You in the back! That a cigar? Give me one.

Alright, shut up, I'm talking here! Thank you.

This is the map I've drawn up with El Presidente. These are our goals.

centralamerica5kj.png

Red means it's ours. Pink means it should be ours, and Dark Blue means we're taking it anyway. Light blue means we're unsure.

Step one, war with El Salvador. That country should be Guatemala, and it will be. That's scheduled to begin January the 8th. We have 12,000 men under arms, including you lot, and they have around 4,000. It should be easy.

Major General Chacon de Leon will lead the operation. I will be in overall command. Once we have finished off El Salvador we will sweep down and take Honduras no later than July. Finally, near the end of the year we'll finish off Nicaragua and then El Presidente will get creative in persuading the Americans to not get worried.

Any questions?

Next - War!

Well? :p