“El Dorado” Expansion for Europa Universalis IV Lets You Go For Gold

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If they implement ironman with mods (rather than just ironman with nation designer), they'll probably add in ability change options as well.
Most likely it will be for every single option or whatever modifies the checksum/the initial setup.

Ideally id like to see 1k or 2k European troops drop then they have to try and fill their armies out with local mercenaries. If they cant do that then well placate the natives slowly gather strength and native allies then topple them.

I feel like this would require the ability to hire mercenaries on different continents and the ability to hire foreign mercenaries. Weren't those things that were purposefully removed? Either way, it would be nice to have them back.

Anyways, it might be wishful thinking but it would be cool if the nation designer included things like choosing dynasty/house names for our nation. Same with adjective, demonym, and plural form of what to call one's people. Oh, and being able to choose individual NI's, traditions, and ambitions would be nice. I can see the nation designer as being a lot of fun, especially for multiplayer games.

Not enough information on announcement... Not inclined to purchase this expansion with what has been presented so far.

Only thing that I took out of that was maybe exploration will be less tedious and maybe make you some money but aside from that don't know what to think.

Hopefully some more interesting info released soon.

Disappointed that Meso- and South America are being prioritised over eastern Asia, which aren't being done justice at all. Nice to see specific religions in the Americas, though. Encouraging human sacrifice as protestant Aztecs led by glorious King Moctezuma de Valois... Well...

Asia already get their features in EU3 expansions which were adopted into EU4. America wasn't done justice for a very long time.

I hope the Nation Designer means we can change the name of our country in-game a la CK2... :D

That would be a dream come true!

Perhaps it could be like Paradox implemented the Burgundian Succession, where if said nation is played by the player, then the devastating modifiers/events will not happen to you.

I think this is a good idea. Which addressess the very valid problem that playing a native and just getting a "you lose because lol disease"-message would be horrible gameplay, while still trying to emulate how the conquest of the Spanish Americas actually happened.

"Nice, look at all these nations dying around me without anyone's input that I can go gobble up! It sure is fortunate that I have magic powers that prevent me from getting devastated in the same manner!"

It's no more magic than the Burgundian Sucession or the Iberian Marriage, which can't happen to the player either IRRC. (ofc. you may think those are unacceptable as well.)

I think this is a good idea

It's no more magic than the Burgundian Sucession or the Iberian Marriage. (ofc. you may think those are unacceptable as well.)

No, they aren't comparable. One would have you LITERALLY be the last man left on the mountain as everyone around you suddenly has no manpower and no army. It would be ridiculous to an absurd degree. The other is the player not being inherited (which happens sparingly in single player anyway.)

And then of course we're balancing on that function which the player ignores. Okay so all their manpower and armies are wiped out but they get to come down to say +60% tech costs. Fair right? Except then the player gets to eat everyone around him while getting a substantial technology buff. Player Aztecs/Incas get to stomp around unimpeded.

Asia already get their features in EU3 expansions which were adopted into EU4. America wasn't done justice for a very long time.

and then europe shot far ahead of anything asia got in DW

and then europe shot far ahead of anything asia got in DW

Better then to have nothing for Asia. Asia has some own mechanics... But look at America. There was nothing special there. Nothing. Yes we need a new Asia expansions. But America has priority right now. There was nothing.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with them buffing the New World and adding in the disease events IF there was a realistic way to combat or deal with them. For instance a continent spanning Incan Empire that has met the lesser civilizations in Europe in Africa or Europe itself would quickly realize there was a problem when they're sailors started dropping like flies and infecting their ports. So there could be several possible events in the instance of first sustained contact, first infect everyone to get it over with and pray, create a system of "controlled" infections, and attempt to prevent and quarantine all infected. Which ever option you went with would have different events and results.

Better then to have nothing for Asia. Asia has some own mechanics... But look at America. There was nothing special there. Nothing. Yes we need a new Asia expansions. But America has priority right now. There was nothing.

because asia, still mostly the same as it was from the DW conversion, needas NO changes

Given the title of this DLC, I really hope there's going to be some special stuff for the Muisca and not just the more famous South/Central American nations. After all, the legend of El Dorado is likely inspired by them, and they even have a NI with that name...

Features include:

- A deep Nation Designer gives you new starting options for your games, including national ideas and custom monarchs
- Experience the new Nahuatl, Inti and Mayan religions with blood sacrifices or Sun Worship
- Send your conquistadors to hunt for the Seven Cities of Gold, or your explorer on exploration missions around the world
- Gold Fleets can traffic New World wealth back to Europe, and be targeted by your privateer fleets
- Use your trade fleets to hunt dangerous pirates
- Maintain good relations with the Pope so you can get a corner of the world to call your own in the Treaty of Tordesillas

I am not interested in the Nation Designer. Custom nations is something I am not interested about.

The Treaty of Tordesilles is a good event/decision wich had deep consequences for Castille, Portugal and the Americas. I dont know why it never made it into the EU games (at least not in EU III or EU IV).

The rest of the features seem to me more fitting for Sid Meier Pirates¡ than EU, but I will wait and see how they really are.

BTW, there must be a Dutch conspiracy pulling the string with DLC design. This continues the trend of every DLC adding many/most of their not-universally-useful features for the Netherlands:

CoP: random new world, colonial events, more detailed native opposition
WoN: trade companies, privateers, Reformed religion, transfer trade power
RP: dutch republic, trade posts, republican events
AoW: TYW, fleet templates/upgrades/selling and mothballing, auto transport
ED: conquistador/explorer mission, treasure fleets, pirate hunting, etc.

vZ4ps80.gif

BTW, there must be a Dutch conspiracy pulling the string with DLC design. This continues the trend of every DLC adding many/most of their not-universally-useful features for the Netherlands:

CoP: random new world, colonial events, more detailed native opposition
WoN: trade companies, privateers, Reformed religion, transfer trade power
RP: dutch republic, trade posts, republican events
AoW: TYW, fleet templates/upgrades/selling and mothballing, auto transport
ED: conquistador/explorer mission, treasure fleets, pirate hunting, etc.

vZ4ps80.gif

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    178,9 KB · Views: 621
I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with them buffing the New World and adding in the disease events IF there was a realistic way to combat or deal with them. For instance a continent spanning Incan Empire that has met the lesser civilizations in Europe in Africa or Europe itself would quickly realize there was a problem when they're sailors started dropping like flies and infecting their ports. So there could be several possible events in the instance of first sustained contact, first infect everyone to get it over with and pray, create a system of "controlled" infections, and attempt to prevent and quarantine all infected. Which ever option you went with would have different events and results.

The main issue with that is that the latter two options had so low a chance of happening that the chance may as well have been negligible. The natives tended to view disease as the wrath of god, and wouldn't even have thought of quarantining infected areas, much less had the capacity to enforce said quarantines, although the Tawantinsuyu might have pulled it off if they had more medical knowledge and not in the middle of a massive civil war. Creating a system of controlled infections would never have happened, because the very idea implies a knowledge of immunity acquisition, something neither the Mexica nor Quecha had any concept of. Diseases should just kill you a while after Europeans show up, picking up the pieces should be a major part of native gameplay. Plus a continent wide Inca with ships capable of sailing to Africa is so ahistorical that it doesn't really need to be considered from an event planning standpoint.

I am not interested in the Nation Designer. Custom nations is something I am not interested about.

The Treaty of Tordesilles is a good event/decision wich had deep consequences for Castille, Portugal and the Americas. I dont know why it never made it into the EU games (at least not in EU III or EU IV).

The rest of the features seem to me more fitting for Sid Meier Pirates¡ than EU, but I will wait and see how they really are.
Depending on how detailed the treasure ship mechanic actually is, I wonder if it could be used as a stepping stone towards doing away with trade nodes altogether.